Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WTF with Marc Maron

Are all of his guests people he knows from AA?

I listened to his interview with Lili Taylor this morning. I wish he would adapt his style more to the person he’s talking with. She was ready to unfurl interesting stories and he kept interrupting her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 7:12 AM

I never knew about this podcast until I listened to the Terry Gross rebroadcast of her interview with Lynn Shelton, which linked me to Maron's original interview with her (which is when he first met her). Just incredibly raw. I can't imagine what he is going through. I took a deep dive into the WTF archives. I can't get enough. And he has been doing this for a decade!

I first listened to more recent interviews with Fred Willard, Rosie O'Donnell, Barry Sonnenfeld, Lily Tomlin, Laura Linney, Dan Levy (Schitt's Creek), and Woody Harrelson. And then I went further back in time and listened to Molly Shannon, Annette Bening, Sissy Spacek, AnnE Hathaway, Anna Faris, Angelica Huston, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Holly Hunter.

The following is on my wish list: Paul Thomas Anderson, Judd Apatow Darren Aronofsky, Patricia Arquette, Roseanne Barr, Kathy Bates, Cate Blanchett, Peter Bogdanovich, Jeff & Beau Bridges, James L. Brooks, Aidy Bryant, Rose Byrne, Linda Cardellini, John Carpenter/Joe Dante, Margaret Cho, Patricia Clarkson, Jennifer Coolidge, Macaulay Culkin, Geena Davis, Laura Dern, Michael Douglas, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Will Ferrell, Jane Fonda, Janeane Garofalo (x3), Jeff Goldblum, John Goodman, Crispin Glover, Heather Graham, Judy Greer, Kathy Griffin, Terry Gross, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Bill Hader, Chelsea Handler (x2), Todd Haynes, Marilu Henner, Werner Herzog, Gale Ann Hurd, Leslie Jones, Charlie Kaufman, Anna Kendrick, Laura Kightlinger, Lisa Kudrow, Martin Landau, Jennifer Lawrence, Tracy Letts, Juliette Lewis, Richard Linklater, Kenneth Lonergan, David Lowery, Leonard Maltin, David Mamet, Melissa McCarthy, Laurie Metcalf, Mike Meyers, John Mulaney, Thandie Newton, Nick Nolte, Tig Notaro, Barack Obama, Patton Oswalt, Catherine O'Hara, Amy Poehler, Parker Posey, Rob Reiner, Ivan Reitman, Paul Rudd, Susan Sarandon, Amy Schumer, Sarah Silverman, Jenny Slate, Todd Solondz, Gloria Steinem, Sharon Stone, Julia Sweeney, Wanda Sykes, Lily Taylor, Kenan Thompson, Stephen Tobolowsky, Tracy Ullman, Mike White, Kristen Wiig, Robin Williams, and Constance Zimmer. A long list! lol

Any other recommendations? Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 3:55 AM

I watch listen on youtube. In the comments you will see what time the interview begins. Skip the first part, which is basically Maron's therapy session. Depending on the guest can be fascinating. He is known for interrupting .

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 5:08 AM

I met Marc Maron just walking down the street one day here in NYC years ago. Super nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 5:09 AM

R2, Thanks! I have a limited data plan, so, I've been streaming the audio on this site I found called WBEZ (video, at even a low resolution, I'm assuming eats up more data?). But, yes, thank you, noted! I'll have to eventually go to YouTube for some of the ones I can't find in only-audio format. I usually skip ahead to the 10 or 15 minute mark and roughly find the beginning. I've just listened to Todd Haynes (with Sarah Silverman as an appetiser) and finishing up Michael Douglas. I can't get enough! I have also noticed the interruptions at times. For the most part, I can handle it. I am skipping around in time, but he does seem to get better style-wise. I like the interviews where he really digs into the subject's life and just goes chronologically and doesn't skip over anything. Most of these interviews--especially the early ones--aren't long enough! (Holly Hunter's could have been twice as long). The Anna Faris one was interesting, because it gets kind of uncomfortable and aimless for twenty minutes. I knew they had a weird chemistry, which they acknowledged, but, lol, I didn't know how it was gonna go. But, in each one, he generally digs out a nugget or two really worth hearing. I love him.

R3, he sounds like a super guy.

Gonna listen to Marilu Henner now. Boomer lives!

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 7:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!