Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is the Will & Grace reboot so bad?

The original series was funny (had its problems when it comes to gay stereotypes) and the first season was terrible as it was finding its niche, but a decent sitcom, nonetheless.

The reboot is more campy (embarrassingly so), bad script, and just not funny at all this time around. I really did try to like it but it’s awful. Why is it so bad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 22, 2019 6:14 AM

I'm still enjoying it and think it has some truly amazing zingers and wordplay. And it's comfort food more than anything.

However, this pregnancy storyline and Patton Oswalt's character... man, it's really not working for me.

by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2019 3:51 PM

Making Grace pregnant isn't gonna make Debra thin.

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2019 3:54 PM

Carol Burnett recounted how she bombed in a standup at an early time in her career after becoming successful. She couldn’t believe it, but after self-searching realized she had become arrogant or took herself too seriously as a “star.” These actors have started taking themselves too seriously, plus their interpersonal relationship problems have ruined the magic.

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2019 3:56 PM

I like Patton Oswalt, but he's completely the wrong foil for Mullally. I just think they've run out of ideas here. Karen owning a baseball team? Both Will and Grace having children at this stage in the game seems like a giant cop-out too. I always thought the characters were a bit older than me. I'm 47, so what, both of them are 50ish and having their first children? A more interesting take on this would have had them talk about the expectation of having children and then choosing not to.

by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2019 4:02 PM

I disagree. I think the show is still funny although I wish they hadn't gone with the pregnancy angle. We're supposed to believe 50-year-old Deb Messing is having a baby? And that after all the jokes about how she's a nice Jewish girl who's uptight in bed she is now having unprotected sex with random strangers?

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2019 4:14 PM

It's over, isn't it? I didn't watch it because it seemed like a bad idea from the start. I wasn't interested in revisiting this show or those characters. It's done, and they weren't going to improve upon it.

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2019 4:26 PM

OP, you just don't like it 'cause it has gay stuff in it.

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2019 4:26 PM

Yes, R7--that's why OP is on Datalounge. Because he hates gayness.

by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2019 4:43 PM

That whole scene with Grace at the doctor's office was PAINFUL. WTF happened in the writer's room? We need an insider.

by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2019 6:39 PM

Yeah, I was surprised by how basic that scene at the doctor's office was. Remember the days of whore nurse Sheila, played by Laura Kightlinger?

by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2019 6:42 PM

[quote]A more interesting take on this would have had them talk about the expectation of having children and then choosing not to.

R4 Exactly. They knew how to write compelling scripts once upon a time. Not only was the doctor's office scene painful, it was unfunny, hammy and directionless which kind of describes this season., so far. Usually W&G takes risks and that's not happening at all. It's like a boring, predictable sitcom that the cast can't wait to be over with. Sad, because they could have come up with something thought-provoking and topical.

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2019 6:51 PM

Because reboots are stupid. It ended the first time for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2019 6:58 PM

Why are the Grace lady and Karen fighting off set? They've been good friends for decades. Did the gay men cause this trouble between the two real women?

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2019 7:03 PM

Sad way to wrap up the show by having so much infighting on the set. Poor James Burrows!

by Anonymousreply 14November 16, 2019 11:50 PM

Sorry OP. I thought the original show was CRAP too. It was a typical ODIOUS sitcom with a bevy of annoying characters. The show seemed DESPERATE to please.

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2019 12:11 AM

R7, where’d THAT analysis come from?! Hope you're not a medical doctor because your diagnostic capabilities are scary (not in a good way).

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2019 2:57 AM

What I want to know is why the show always has to have Grace pregnant when they cancel it. It wasn't funny last time and it's less funny now that's she like 60.

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2019 3:00 AM

Agreed that Messing is long in the tooth to be pregnant. She's be using a surrogate at this point.

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2019 6:34 PM

The whole premise is wrong. Grace went on her big hedonistic adventure with no desire to have a baby. So it's all a big unwanted pregnancy scenario which usually doesn't end well in TV sitcoms. Either the baby is born and raised by committee or the baby doesn't "happen." *yawn*

by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2019 11:20 PM

If anything, this quartet of actors should have wanted to back away from any attempt at revisiting what gave them their millions, and keep moving forward as actors. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 20November 17, 2019 11:23 PM

The same is true, obviously, for that gross train wreck and regrettable reboot of Roseranne, with that mentally impaired lead at the helm.

by Anonymousreply 21November 17, 2019 11:24 PM

*Roseanne

by Anonymousreply 22November 17, 2019 11:24 PM

I thought the W&G reboot was better than expected until this final season started. Epic fail.

by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2019 2:32 AM

It's a shame. All the elements are there. The writing is just not as sharp as the originals.

But it still has it's moments, and I wish it would go on forever.

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2019 3:13 AM

You hoes are dumb. I like the reboot and found the most recent episodes funny. But I do agree with making everyone want babies is way too cliched and heteronormative for this show. The went out their way to erase the first round of babies, why do it a second time? To rewrite history? Great. Thanks for saying a woman's story is her as a mom. Thanks for saying that gays want a nuclear family. You know? Fuck this show. I'm watching How To Get Away With Murder which is far more queer than W&G.

by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2019 3:53 AM

"You hoes are dumb. I like the reboot and found the most recent episodes funny."

Who's a dumb ho? Looking at you, R25.

by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2019 11:58 AM

The magic is gone as an ensemble but Just Jack is still a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2019 12:38 PM

The first reboot season was OK, but it's just been diminishing returns since.

Grace being preggo wasn't interesting the first time around and isn't now.

I've said it before here and been shot down, but will say it again: something about the way Karen has been written this time is just off. Making her a rabid Trumper, as they did initially, was just so not Karen - rich or not, Karen wouldn't have paid that much attention to politics.

This season has been PAINFUL to watch.

by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2019 12:44 PM

How come we don't see David Schwimmer anymore?

by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2019 3:38 PM

Instead f pregnant Grace should have contracted AIDS!

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2019 3:39 PM

He left Leo for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2019 3:58 PM

[quote] How come we don't see David Schwimmer anymore?

Because he caught up on his mortgage payments and got the hell out

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2019 11:48 PM

The reboot is bad, bad. But I can't believe that these people have not grown at all.

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2019 11:51 PM

R34 are they copying Seinfeld’s formula of no learning/growing as people?

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2019 12:02 AM

Have the four of them ever done a scene together in this reboot? All the stories seem so random and thrown together.

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2019 12:46 AM

I dont get it. This current season is the funniest of the revival. I laughed out loud several times each episode.

by Anonymousreply 36November 22, 2019 5:01 AM

I like W&G. The writing and acting are still quite good. It’s funny. But lose the baby storyline.

by Anonymousreply 37November 22, 2019 5:07 AM

This is not a reboot. It's a revival.

A reboot is a remake of a premise with different actors.

by Anonymousreply 38November 22, 2019 5:27 AM

I would say it's mostly Deb Messing's weight.

by Anonymousreply 39November 22, 2019 5:30 AM

At least it lasted longer than the disastrous 13-week Megan Mullally Show.

by Anonymousreply 40November 22, 2019 5:41 AM

It just feels so random. It's like The Lucy Show with random guests of the week and little continuity.

by Anonymousreply 41November 22, 2019 6:07 AM

The revival had a few moments but the only laugh out loud moment for me was the mugging of Ruth Bader Ginsber. That was the Grace we knew.

Overall it would have been better to just let it lay.

by Anonymousreply 42November 22, 2019 6:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!