Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Whitney Houston's faultless rendition of the US national anthem

After so many years, I still get goosebumps watching her singing this song. Her rendition remains the gold standard that hasn’t been match by any singers in history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2019 4:59 AM

It was lip-synched.

by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2019 4:06 AM

Uhhhh me and my fly girl Shakira will do better

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2019 4:07 AM

Compared to this 💩

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2019 4:09 AM

Quite possibly THE most overrated singer in the history of music.

by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2019 4:10 AM

I’m not even an American and that made me teary. What a voice she had. Magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2019 4:13 AM

Miss Warwick can always fuck off

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2019 4:14 AM

Oh great. Today's new thread on Whitney Houston! FASCINATING READING ABOUT THE GREATEST STAR! FASCINATING READING ABOUT THE GREATEST STAR! FASCINATING READING ABOUT THE GREATEST STAR! FASCINATING READING ABOUT THE GREATEST STAR! FASCINATING READING ABOUT THE GREATEST STAR! FASCINATING READING ABOUT THE GREATEST STAR! FASCINATING READING ABOUT THE GREATEST STAR! FASCINATING READING ABOUT THE GREATEST STAR!

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2019 4:14 AM

She ain't no Mamie Van Doren.

by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2019 4:23 AM

This is an obvious troll post meant to elicit derision towards Ms. Houston.

by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2019 4:28 AM

Nope. It's our dear, pea-brained stan.

by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2019 4:30 AM

The anthem can almost bring me to tears. It’s a poem about the outgunned underdog withstanding a great assault. The phrasing is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2019 5:49 AM

And yet, she died in a shit bath, with shit drifting pass her nose

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2019 5:56 AM

Her version was done in 4/4 time, unlike the usual 3/4 or 6/8 version. The arranger said (I'm paraphrasing) that 4/4 time gave Whitney more time within each measure to be Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2019 6:53 AM

She set the standard way too high

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2019 2:09 PM

Her side piece Robin said she was supposed to sing that dressed in a gown. To stay warm, they decided to put her in that infamous tracksuit she had balled up in her suitcase.

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2019 3:08 PM

The BEST to ever do it. R1 That's what they say, although it was prerecorded live in one take and she lipped to that. I listen to her version all the time and it definitely sounds live.

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2019 3:14 PM

My understanding was that she did prerecord a version as a back up just in case. But that she sang live and didn't use the prerecorded version.

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2019 3:18 PM

It was wonderful, but prerecorded and lip synched.

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2019 4:24 PM

It was live and the best ever.

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2019 4:28 PM

Live or recorded, it was flawless.

Bitch was flawless.

Flawless.

Flaw

Less.

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2019 4:32 PM

[quote] The anthem can almost bring me to tears. It’s a poem about the outgunned underdog withstanding a great assault. The phrasing is beautiful.

Read the second verse...

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2019 4:33 PM

I recall reading articles about it at the time. It was prerecorded and she sang along with the prerecording.

No way any producer would take a chance that something would go wrong with a live version with such a huge TV audience.

by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2019 4:33 PM

Whitney definitely was great. I also love this version by Sandi Patty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2019 4:36 PM

OMG the fergie thing.

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2019 5:01 PM

I’m a NATIONAL TREASURE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2019 5:27 PM

I’m such a national treasure, my link is blocked by the NFL! So, take that!

by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2019 5:30 PM

Her rendition is the ONLY national anthem In history sold as a commercial single. WTF as to how popular it was. I remember people rushed to stores to buy that song. That’s crazy

by Anonymousreply 27November 18, 2019 5:38 PM

I actually really like Kathie Lee's version. It's much more assertive. Really surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2019 6:08 PM

Only Faith Hill could second that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2019 6:17 PM

r27 The gulf war was at a high point - it was released to capitalize on the patriotism flowing under Bush Sr. Whitney was a republican.

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2019 6:24 PM

I'll get shit for this, but Gaga did an amazing rendition:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2019 6:25 PM

It was the arrangement and orchestration along with her voice.

by Anonymousreply 32November 18, 2019 7:36 PM

[quote] It was the arrangement and orchestration along with her voice.

PS: Where she goes with it around 1:30 just......goosebumps. It's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 33November 18, 2019 7:37 PM

And we'll never feel any of that again. The pride we had, the belief we were working for a common, greater good.

W broke us, and Trump shattered out remains to smithereens.

by Anonymousreply 34November 18, 2019 7:41 PM

I hate to be the prissy guy here, because WH's vocal talents are absolutely astounding and this is her at the peak of her talents. BUT! This is when the anthem -- which is supposed to be presented, not performed -- turned into a yahoo-fest, with the melismatic final lines to encourage the chants of USA! USA! USA! When the NFL forged their corrupt bargain with the Defense Department. When the Super Bowl became a spectacle to rope in the fraus busy making cheese dips while nursing a Bud Light. No thanks, no thanks at all.

And the Bills lost.

by Anonymousreply 35November 18, 2019 10:19 PM

Here is another live performance. Her voice was in top notch condition

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2019 3:18 AM

R28, I totally agree. I wasn’t posting that link in jest, I was just mocking KLG’s persona a little, but I actually think it’s a great rendition.

by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2019 3:36 AM

The whole thing is a remarkable contrast with Hendrix's vehemently anti-war rendition at Woodstock.

by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2019 4:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!