Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Criminal Podcast

“Criminal” is arguably the leading podcast relating to (primarily) violent crime and covers the crimes the way This American Life would if that were a crime podcast.

It’s extremely popular and I want to listen but it’s made very difficult by the host Phoebe Judge. Her narration is literally the most mannered and annoying of any I’ve ever heard on a podcast, and that’s saying something. Anyone ever listen and feel the same way? Seeking validation, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2019 4:51 PM

Thanks, OP, for the thread. I'll have to check it out as I've been pecking about for an interesting podcast. We'll see about the host. I used to feel the same way about Diane Rehm, who has spasmodic dysphonia. Her voice could be so grating. Seriously, why stay in radio?

by Anonymousreply 1November 15, 2019 1:01 PM

You HAVE to listen to Murder in Oregon. It’s the newest crimecast and it’s hot off the presses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2019 5:45 PM

I’m doing to Live and Die in LA. I’m late to this one but it’s bonkers so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2019 5:47 PM

Well?

by Anonymousreply 4November 15, 2019 6:25 PM

I don't think Phoebe Judge is too awful, OP-just when she announces her name. "I'm Phoebe Judge." There's a way that she hits each of the consonants that's profoundly annoying. She tries to hard to enunciate. Beyond that, she's just sort of anodyne as a host.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2019 12:51 PM

This is SleuthFrau garbage. Take it to back to WebSleuths or over to reddit-bureau-of-investigations

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2019 1:03 PM

I stop listening to most podcasts because of the hosts. Most of them talk too much about nothing and the editing is terrible. At least Phoebe Judge gets to the point and doesn’t make the show about herself. However, I agree her voice does sound affected and is distracting. I think Ann Marie, who did the MLM podcast “The Dream” , has the best radio voice and style of the female podcasters. She has a slight, homey midwestern twang and is such a great storyteller. I quit My Favorite Murder ages ago because the hosts are too self-involved, tangential, crude, with vocal fry to boot. I need podcasts because I’m in the car so much, and I’ve been through so many! I’m so glad to get new recommendations. Storytelling is truly an art, which is made clear by how the vast majority who attempt it, fail.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2019 1:07 PM

I vaguely recall that soneone recommended Criminal to me, OP, and that after listening a little I unsubscribed, but can't remember why. Usually it's when I feel a host is just reading off a sheet like they're giving an oral report in 10th grade history class.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2019 1:45 PM

R6 has spoken!

That's an interesting take, r8, hadn't thought of that. She sounds to me like someone who took acting lessons for six weeks.

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2019 2:28 PM

Love Criminal and love Phoebe Judge

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2019 3:15 PM

Made in the Middle is an enjoyable posthaste. Emily Chen-Newton is really good. There is no "annoying factor" with her. It's still new, so there aren't a lot of episodes. Check it out on Spotify-particularly the ouija board episode. I found that one particularly riveting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2019 4:13 PM

I listened to Live and Die in LA, but the host drove me bonkers His voice is a nasally whine and he got dramatic over things like a 10th-grade girl would. You could tell the PI he was working with was just rolling his eyes at points. Plus, the ads where he was reading scripts drove me nuts. No, your son is not "obsessed" with Bombas socks, and it's pronounced "important" not "impordant."

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2019 4:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!