Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MO'NIQUE--It's Just Come Time To Bury This Chick

NBC News @NBCNews

NEW: Oscar-winning actress and comedian Mo'Nique has sued Netflix, accusing the streaming giant of racial and gender discrimination by trying to drastically underpay her for a stand-up special after offering other stars tens of millions of dollars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296February 11, 2020 3:13 PM

It's one thing to think highly of yourself. Good self-esteem is a wonderful thing. But, this girl here... she's just gotten on my nerves now with all of her bitching and whining. It's time to sit her down for good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2019 5:08 PM

If other commedians bring in tens of millions of dollars of business, they get offered tens of millions of dollars.

But you're Mo'Nique.

by Anonymousreply 2November 14, 2019 5:08 PM

Mo'nique know she look good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 14, 2019 5:14 PM

She’s need to show the receipts. Other comedians can show documentation- being able to produce old and existing lucrative contracts that they’ve already negotiated. It didn’t help that she and her husband fought Lee and Tyler Perry and got blackballed.

She’s also approaching it like she was a prospective employee and that’s not how it works.

by Anonymousreply 4November 14, 2019 5:27 PM

Judge Greg Mathis @JudgeGregMathis: Our sister Mo’Nique is not giving up!

Ernest Owens @MrErnestOwens: Say what you want about the merits of Mo'Nique's case, but the facts she's providing about Netflix's lack of board diversity and these pay disparities shouldn't be ignored. When it comes to Hollywood's racial inequity, defending white power structures will always be a bad move.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2019 5:42 PM

Oh.....

by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2019 5:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2019 5:59 PM

Wanda Sykes also said she was offered a few hundred thousand by Netflix for a special, meanwhile Amy Schumer (who steals her material) was offered $10 million.

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2019 6:11 PM

Is she still with her idiot manager, a.k.a., her husband?

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2019 6:16 PM

The scourge of the husband-manager!

Even the straight ones are bad news, but hers...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2019 6:44 PM

I guess some people here are fine not being paid what you're worth or is the black lady getting to uppity for you?

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2019 6:53 PM

R11 thinks that Mo'Nique is worth ten million dollars!

Let's all point at him and laugh.

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2019 6:56 PM

We can't, R12, because we're too busy snickering at your blatant stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2019 6:57 PM

I saw her on The View. She said Lionsgate wanted her to promote the film at Cannes. She said she had fulfilled her duties. Does she not understand how films get promoted? I know she was not paid a lot for the movie, but it did bring her attention that she never got before.

by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2019 7:04 PM

I'll be shocked if anyone in Hollywood will want to work with Mo'Nique ever again. It's one thing to be a diva to the proles, but biting the hand that feeds you just alienates more potential employers.

by Anonymousreply 15November 14, 2019 7:11 PM

She's turned into that Mary... Supremes, girl. What's her name? Mary Williams or Williamson? How long does the whining last? She's been doing the Oprah, Lee Daniels, Tyler Perry shtick for 10 years now. This NetFlix drama has to be at least 2-3 years old now. When is she going to get it that others don't feel that she is worth the money that SHE feels that she is worth? Tiffany Haddish, (a Black and YOUNGER woman), got a higher deal than Moo-Moo.

theGrio.com @theGrio: If you thought Oscar-winning actress and comedian Mo’Nique was over her beef with Netflix? GUESS AGAIN! Sis has filed a 39-page lawsuit against the streaming company over pay disparity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2019 7:17 PM

r11 be serious, you know that's not what it's about. It the fact is that no one was checking for Mo'Nique's comedy. Anyone that was checking for her was showing up to those small rooms she was doing when she first called out Oprah, Tyler and Lee.

There is nothing in Mo's comedy history that warrants a contract for much money. Now if she were talking about acting parts and how much she is offered then I'd agree with her. There are certain parts she WAS sought after to play. But comedy is different and she just doesn't have the same strength of performance for her comedy as she does for her acting. They are two separate things and she may think otherwise which is why she thinks she deserves greater comedy money than she is worth.

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2019 7:20 PM

It's too bad how she behaved. She could have potentially been laughing at a paltry $10 million Netflix deal if she played her cards right in the Precious days.

by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2019 7:25 PM

Or Netflix could be developing a tv show for her or she could be developing one for herself if she only knew how to play her cards.

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2019 7:31 PM

She is a bitch and her husband is a bitch and a grifter. Even BET canceled her talk show because they couldn't deal with her.

If she thinks that she is that good and in demand she should open up her own production company and produce her own work. Don't they produce some YouTube show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2019 7:33 PM

Love you girl! Keep fighting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2019 9:46 PM

OP she's doing a great job burying herself

by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2019 9:47 PM

Why does OP wanna bury her? Another racist upset a black woman is speaking up?

by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2019 9:49 PM

Wanda Sykes co signed Monique when she said that she got a similar amount as well. Meanwhile,. homophobic Amy Schumer gets 10 million dollars and hasn't done a single noteworthy thing in ages. Monique is also an Oscar winning actress, which should carry some clout as well as the star of a long running TV show and one of the "Queens of Comedy".

It might not be a case of racism though, as it could be nepotism. Anything to get into Chuck's good graces. The black girls just get crapped on as usual though.

by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2019 9:54 PM

R24 what has Mo'Nique done since winning her Oscar besides burn bridges? She's her own worst enemy. Is there racism in Hollywood? Absolutely. But her refusal to play the game has caused her many more problems than the color of her skin.

by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2019 9:56 PM

It's surprising she even won the Oscar, because she refused to campaign for it like everyone else was doing.

The attention immediately went to her head, along with her grifter husband.

Those of you shouting "racism" need to do some reading on her moronic claims and her behavior since the Oscar.

She killed her career.

by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2019 10:06 PM

She's the best thing that ever happened to Octavia Spencer.

She didn't have to play the publicity game. But when you don't play for the team, you stop getting invited. Simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2019 10:08 PM

She didn't just not play the publicity game. She shat in the hand of everyone connected to it.

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2019 10:18 PM

I don't know if it's true or not but I heard someone on a talk show say what Netflix offers to comedians for specials is based on their tour ticket sales.

Maybe Mo' doesn't sell many concert tickets.

by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2019 10:43 PM

The only time you hear about her is when she's playing the Victim Game.

She's gone after all the biggest Black names in Hollywood: Oprah, Tyler Perry, Lee Daniels. Who's she gonna fight with next: Shonda?

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2019 10:47 PM

Shonda touched my vagine! #metoo!

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2019 10:49 PM

Mo’Nique and Steve Get Real: Part 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2019 10:59 PM

Mo’Nique and Steve Get Real: Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2019 11:00 PM

Mo'Nique On Why She's Calling For A Netflix Boycott | The View

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 14, 2019 11:14 PM

Mo'Nique Explains Why She Called Whoopi Goldberg "The Help"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 14, 2019 11:15 PM

This was pretty funny. She actually seemed pretty down-to-earth pre-oscar.

I saw this 10 years ago ironically on Netflix

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 14, 2019 11:22 PM

R35 she actually compares press tours to slavery. Everybody, in every industry, has things they "have to do" for their career. You roll your eyes, you bitch about it at happy hour, and you do it.

by Anonymousreply 37November 14, 2019 11:24 PM

"She need ta kwit!"

by Anonymousreply 38November 14, 2019 11:29 PM

Ellen DeGeneres got $20 million for one Netflix stand-ups? You mean to tell me there were that many people clamoring for the same tired jokes she tells five times a week on her show?

by Anonymousreply 39November 14, 2019 11:32 PM

[quote]she actually compares press tours to slavery. Everybody, in every industry, has things they "have to do" for their career. You roll your eyes, you bitch about it at happy hour, and you do it.

More like indentured servitude.

by Anonymousreply 40November 14, 2019 11:34 PM

So Mo'nique is to Octavia what Lohan is to Emma Stone?

by Anonymousreply 41November 14, 2019 11:43 PM

R41 more or less. And like Lohan, every time she has a chance to make a comeback, she shits on it.

by Anonymousreply 42November 14, 2019 11:45 PM

It’s crazy that couldn’t throw a mil her way, as she gets zero royalties from Netflix. If it were HBO, that would be one thing. But it’s not.

by Anonymousreply 43November 14, 2019 11:46 PM

It’s like Trump who is always whining that everyone is against him. It’s always someone else’s behavior, not his own. She needs to unload that husband of hers and get him out of her ear and start mending fences. She has sold out or shit on everyone..

Wait for the divorce and the apology tour once the bank comes calling!

by Anonymousreply 44November 14, 2019 11:56 PM

r43 she could have done the gig, and if it did well, done another one for them and been paid more. It's not rocket science. She can't eat the gold off her Oscar (although I'm sure she's tried).

by Anonymousreply 45November 15, 2019 12:05 AM

r27 Octavia Spencer is very well connected she's got a couple of powerful friends, one of them was a relationship she had, that have championed her and her projects.

by Anonymousreply 46November 15, 2019 2:10 AM

The Talk - Sharon Osbourne and Sheryl Underwood Sound Off on Mo'Nique vs Netflix

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 15, 2019 2:18 AM

I don't care for Amy Schumer, but millions of other people do like her and are willing to pay money to see her, her movies and her book

No one wants to pay to watch, see or read about Monique

Plus Monique has burned almost every single bridge leading to her. She's out in the middle of the ocean, Netflix throws her a lifeline and instead of doing a great job and spinning that into other work, she expects to be treated like she is the Queen of the world. She's not. She's a washed up, old cunt who is poison

by Anonymousreply 48November 15, 2019 2:23 AM

Thousands of other washed up comedians long past their sell by date would cut off both arms and legs to get a special on Netflix

but not monique

Fuck that rancid old bitch with donald trump's tiny dick

by Anonymousreply 49November 15, 2019 2:24 AM

Her IMDB

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 15, 2019 2:32 AM

[quote] she actually compares press tours to slavery. Everybody, in every industry, has things they "have to do" for their career. You roll your eyes, you bitch about it at happy hour, and you do it

If you are a nurse or have any type of job where you are licensed by the state you have to take continuing education lessons/classes. It's on your own time. You don't get paid for it. Most of the time you actually pay to take these continuing education lessons/classes

If you own your own business you advertise or network. You have to invest some of your own time and money on your career. She expects everything to be handed to her

by Anonymousreply 51November 15, 2019 2:34 AM

What a shitty attitude.

by Anonymousreply 52November 15, 2019 2:36 AM

She seems tiresome

by Anonymousreply 53November 15, 2019 2:44 AM

[quote]r26 It's surprising she even won the Oscar, because she refused to campaign for it like everyone else was doing.

She is extraordinary in the film. One of the truly deserving Oscar wins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 15, 2019 2:49 AM

R46 Octavia's biggest ally is the director of The Help and Ma. But she was nobody before The Help, which Mo has claimed she was in discussions for. I love Octavia in everything she does, but how many of her roles could've gone to Mo if she'd played the game? Taking herself out of the equation was a gift to Octavia.

by Anonymousreply 55November 15, 2019 3:08 AM

Nicki Blonsky has similar beefs. She said her career stalled after Hairspray because she's fat, but at least a big part of it is that she didn't capitalize on her heat. She didn't move to LA, she didn't find her next projects, she just expected a career.

by Anonymousreply 56November 15, 2019 3:10 AM

^ And her parents were cunts

by Anonymousreply 57November 15, 2019 4:06 AM

She has two representatives: her husband and her lawyer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 15, 2019 4:16 AM

It's pretty surprising that Amy Schumer pulls in that kind of audience. I'd think more people would watch Mo'nique or Wanda Sykes-- I know I would. I am for this lawsuit. Every show on Netflix has bland white actors and they all run together..

by Anonymousreply 59November 15, 2019 4:24 AM

Mo'nique is funny. She's sure as hell funnier than Ellen or Amy.

It's too bad she and Netflix couldn't work something out.

by Anonymousreply 60November 15, 2019 5:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 15, 2019 11:19 AM

I can't see how this won't be thrown out of court. Netflix is under no obligation to offer anything to anyone. They negotiate with the "talent", come to an agreement on what Netflix is willing to pay and what the "talent" is willing to work for. Netflix does not have to pay this bitch anything it doesn't want to and she doesn't have to work for them if she doesn't want to.

by Anonymousreply 62November 15, 2019 11:33 AM

She has no case. I'm beginning to think that this is just a strategy to get her some publicity. According to her IMDB, she hasn't done any film work since 2016. Her whining interviews outnumber any examples of her work on YouTube. She's a black woman in her 50's. Her career is basically over. She did it to her herself and she allowed her husband to help her.

by Anonymousreply 63November 15, 2019 11:44 AM

R58, I think that explains it all.

by Anonymousreply 64November 15, 2019 2:19 PM

I see from her birthday she's a Sagiterrorist.

by Anonymousreply 65November 15, 2019 2:32 PM

Wanda got lowballed and look how she handled it...like an adult and a professional.

Sorry Mo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 15, 2019 3:23 PM

Be a good girl Mo'nique, keep your mouth shut Mo'nique, keep your head down Mo'nique. Don't speak up for yourself Mo'nique, Don't fight for what you want, Mo'nique...

Substitute Queer for Mo'nique and you'd be cheering her.

by Anonymousreply 67November 15, 2019 4:21 PM

R67 you've got to be kidding with that crap.

First of all, no one on this site would cheer the use of the word "queer" except people like you, obvious young poster.

Second, that completely ignores all the crap she's said and done that have caused her career to stall.

She was funny, but now she's just a perpetual victim. No one wants to pay to see that.

by Anonymousreply 68November 15, 2019 4:26 PM

Um...are you joking R67? Wanda had the same issue -points to R66- but she handled it like a professional and she got paid. Suing someone for giving you a lowball offer is an idiotic move.

I work in an industry where rates are subjective. Sometimes I get a lot of money offered to me, sometimes I get low. A few times I've gotten insultingly low. What do I do? I negotiate. Or I walk away. I don't throw a fit.

by Anonymousreply 69November 15, 2019 4:27 PM

Mo's paperwork

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 15, 2019 4:32 PM

Go MoNique. Down with corporate racism!

by Anonymousreply 71November 15, 2019 4:37 PM

[quote]I guess some people here are fine not being paid what you're worth

She's "worth" whatever people are willing to pay her to perform. In this case, not much.

by Anonymousreply 72November 15, 2019 4:43 PM

And, just think about it....

All she had to do was go to Cannes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 15, 2019 4:51 PM

[quote]First of all, no one on this site would cheer the use of the word "queer" except people like you, obvious young poster.

Christ, now you're offend by the word queer? You know EXACTLY what I mean, we fought for years against the world saying sit down and shut up. She is fighting for what she believes, it might be pretty but, there are people here that think she deserves nothing because she won't back down.

by Anonymousreply 74November 15, 2019 4:52 PM

A week in the South of France? Poor Mo!

by Anonymousreply 75November 15, 2019 4:54 PM

Well I think 2 things can be true. She can be a bitch. And Netflix maybe guilty of discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 76November 15, 2019 4:58 PM

Mo'Nique went from Oscar winner to Hollywood pariah. Can she bounce back?

By Helena Andrews-Dyer / The Washington Post Feb 10, 2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 15, 2019 5:14 PM

Now she has plenty of time to shave those hairy legs .

by Anonymousreply 78November 15, 2019 5:18 PM

With those hairy thighs I bet she could start a fire when she walks.

by Anonymousreply 79November 15, 2019 5:21 PM

R74 I think you'll find most people here don't think she "deserves" anything. She seems to think that she does, however.

by Anonymousreply 80November 15, 2019 5:23 PM

And there are many people in this country that believe most people here don't "deserve" anything. But we keep fighting.

by Anonymousreply 81November 15, 2019 5:28 PM

Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy are amongst the highest paid comedians on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 82November 15, 2019 5:29 PM

Even if she wins, which I REALLY doubt, she loses. Who the hell is gonna hire her now? She had an HBO movie a few years ago. Why haven't they called her since? The director has made two movies since. HMMMMMMMM

by Anonymousreply 83November 15, 2019 5:38 PM

Wh’o?

by Anonymousreply 84November 15, 2019 5:43 PM

She weighs 300 pounds, and is an alcoholic! She eats an entire cake at one sitting! You should see her stretch marks! Because of her drunkenness, both of her children are delinquents! She's the hairiest woman I've ever laid eyes on!

by Anonymousreply 85November 15, 2019 5:49 PM

R81 so you're equating the Civil Rights movement to an actress who clearly thinks she's too good for everyone else. Way to aim high!

by Anonymousreply 86November 15, 2019 5:52 PM

There are people like that at work - always offended, bent out of shape or running to HR over anything. The make themselves so radioactive that people avoid them personally—and they never get promoted by other depts because no one wants to put themselves in the line of fire.

by Anonymousreply 87November 15, 2019 5:58 PM

[quote]There are people like that at work - always offended, bent out of shape or running to HR over anything. The make themselves so radioactive that people avoid them personally—and they never get promoted by other depts because no one wants to put themselves in the line of fire.

Those type of people... management watches them like a hawk for an inevitable slip-up, and then they fire them. They are toxic to the work environment.

by Anonymousreply 88November 15, 2019 6:03 PM

Hollywood's best kept secret seems to be that it doesn't exclusively link pay to past performance. A white dude's starting negotiating position is higher than actresses of the same tier and previous box office performance. See, theres an implicit bias that she's just a heart beat away from a mega flop and he's just a heart beat away from a mega hit. The starting negotiating position for black females is probably much lower than their hit potential.

That said, Monique is just a pain. She feuds with everyone she works with. She over states her successes. I can't imagine they were ever really that keen to work with her. Sometimes you have fucked yourself over long before other peoples biases get you

by Anonymousreply 89November 15, 2019 6:23 PM

R82 Monique is her own enemy but let's be clear that black male comics are in rarefied positions. The problem here is for female comics and very specifically black female comics.

by Anonymousreply 90November 15, 2019 6:28 PM

Maybe she shouldn't have picked fights with Tyler Perry etc.? She keeps biting the hand that feeds her.

by Anonymousreply 91November 15, 2019 6:34 PM

How did you want to bury her, OP? Alive, or did you want to hang her from a tree, ya racist fuck.

by Anonymousreply 92November 15, 2019 6:37 PM

[quote]She keeps biting the hand that feeds her.

She looks like she could miss a few feedings.

by Anonymousreply 93November 15, 2019 6:39 PM

R90, what exactly is the problem? Why should Netflix offer women or black women more money if they don't have the professional success - tv shows, concert tours - to justify it?

by Anonymousreply 94November 15, 2019 6:52 PM

She also fell out with Will Packer, producer of Last Christmas. Thats the film she keeps tauting as her most recent hit even though it was an ensemble film and she was barely in the trailers. That guy was so over it, he released emails between himself and her husband.

Basically they were angling for more pay after shooting the movie and had been so difficult on set, they had tried to get Packer fired by the studio for referring to HIMSELF as a nigga. Will Packer FYI is black. That's a big deal because next to Tyler Perry, Packer is the next most prolific black producer. Another bridge burned.

by Anonymousreply 95November 15, 2019 6:53 PM

R94. Please find the answer at R89

by Anonymousreply 96November 15, 2019 6:54 PM

Netflix Responds to Mo’Nique Pay Discrimination Lawsuit: ‘Our Opening Offer to Mo’Nique Was Fair’

“We will be fighting this lawsuit,” a Netflix spokesperson told TheWrap

Netflix has responded to actress and comedian Mo’Nique’s pay discrimination lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court Thursday.

“We care deeply about inclusion, equity, and diversity and take any accusations of discrimination very seriously. We believe our opening offer to Mo’Nique was fair — which is why we will be fighting this lawsuit,” a spokesperson for Netflix said in a statement to TheWrap.

Mo’Nique’s complaint accused Netflix of gender and race discrimination, saying that the company had given her a “low-ball” and “discriminatory” offer of $500,000 as a “talent fee” for a one-hour stand-up special, while other comedians were offered millions of dollars per special.

“When the talent was not a Black woman, Netflix offered to pay, and did pay, astronomically more than it pays to Black women like it offered to Mo’Nique,” the complaint reads. It also lists several other comedians and what they were paid by Netflix for comparison.

The filing goes on to say that “Netflix reportedly offered or paid [Chris] Rock, [Dave] Chapelle [sic], [Ellen] Degeneris [sic], and [Ricky] Gervais forty (40) times more per show than it offered Mo’Nique, and it offered [Amy] Schumer twenty-six (26) times more per show than Mo’Nique. In short, Netflix’s offer to Mo’Nique perpetuates the drastic wage gap forced upon Black women in the America’s workforce.”

Mo’Nique confirmed that she had filed a lawsuit in an Instagram post on Thursday.

“Hey My Loves — I can confirm that today I filed a pay discrimination lawsuit against Netflix,” she wrote in the post. “I had a choice to make: I could accept what I felt was pay discrimination or I could stand up for those who came before me and those who will come after me. I chose to stand up. I don’t have any further comment this time, but I appreciate all of your support and love.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 15, 2019 6:57 PM

[quote]she actually compares press tours to slavery. Everybody, in every industry, has things they "have to do" for their career.

She doesn't want to do any of the work. Then she wonders why nobody wants to hire her or pay her shit.

by Anonymousreply 98November 15, 2019 7:01 PM

R96, that's a deflection because you don't want to face the fact that women and black female comics don't bring in the same revenue as men.

And with Mo'nque another reason is probably because she doesn't have an experienced agent who can successfully negotiate on her behalf.

by Anonymousreply 99November 15, 2019 7:03 PM

Is there anyone she's worked with in the last 10 years she hasn't attacked?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 15, 2019 7:24 PM

Emails between Will Packer and Daddy Sidney. Mo, you are so dumb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101November 15, 2019 7:30 PM

Hah, she tried to #metoo Will Packer?

by Anonymousreply 102November 15, 2019 7:31 PM

To be fair she degrades a lot of black people too. She told Oprah to suck her dick and tried to equate Will Packer to Harvey Weinstein. That's pretty disgusting to me.

— Charlamagne Tha God (@cthagod) February 23, 2018

by Anonymousreply 103November 15, 2019 7:32 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 15, 2019 8:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 16, 2019 12:18 AM

Careerwise this is a good move for her. It will help reframe her flop career as a result of being a black female. Black producers know better but I guarantee you white liberal producers will "white savior" her. Shes even shitting on the black elite which will make white hearts sing with joy. They like their blacks poor and needing saving NOT building studios and TV stations.

Monique and her moron husband have accidentally stumbled on smart strategy.

by Anonymousreply 106November 16, 2019 4:04 AM

Her hairy legs. She’s disgusting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 16, 2019 4:07 AM

I'm with R62. NO ONE OWES YOU ANYTHING....... Welcome to the real world, you delusional diva. Go get your paycheck or shut up already..

by Anonymousreply 108November 16, 2019 4:19 AM

Don't know why gay men give a shit about women not removing body hair. If you ain't fucking it what is it to you?

by Anonymousreply 109November 16, 2019 4:21 AM

Pay discrimination? She wasn’t their employee. If a prospective employer evaluates my skills and work experience and makes me a salary offer for hire and I think it’s low, then I can accept it or reject it. If they offer me more when I decline, great, but otherwise they don’t owe me anything,

Mo’Money is not a Netflix employee, she’s a comedian and actress who contracts independently with companies and businesses. The other comedians were not her co-workers where she is doing the exact same job daily but paid less simply she is black, a woman etc.

Imagine if everyone who was offered a salary and saw it as insufficient could sue someone they don’t work for for discrimination. She and her husband are fools looking for a settlement because they realize they fucked themselves out of a half million dollar payday because of their shitty campaign to vilify anyone who doesn’t tolerate their bad behavior—or validate their rationale that any problem they have is due to the race or gender bias of the others involved.

Her and her husband are toxic as fuck and no one can tell them anything since they validate each other’s bullshit. So let them advise each other into career suicide. Once it’s dead, it won’t matter who killed it.

by Anonymousreply 110November 16, 2019 6:31 AM

Yep, R110.

by Anonymousreply 111November 16, 2019 8:32 AM

Her argument is that the nature of the contract would make her an employee. Since they're not just purchasing a completed piece of work but rather requiring her to create it over the course of a year and simultaneously barring her from contracting with anyone else in that period. I believe they would also own any comedy she created in that period.

The discrimination angle aside, this is actually interesting. I can see a court redefining these types of arrangements as employment rather than independent contracts. Now whether Monique accepted the offer of employment/contract is a different discussion.

by Anonymousreply 112November 16, 2019 6:04 PM

Hmm... I see your argument, R112. But, that's a BIG stretch. I don't even see the courts entertaining that one. Look... NetFlix approached her asking to do a show. She and her grifter husband were receptive to an offer, NetFlix gave an amount if what they were willing to pay. She and her grifter husband didn't like the amount. Okay... then no show for you. End of story.

How does she have any right to tell someone how much they should pay her? There were no signed contracts. It was all discussion. It would be different had she been employed and then found out later that she was underpaid, etc. There's no case here

by Anonymousreply 113November 16, 2019 6:25 PM

That's why I said this hinges upon whether the court deems her to have accepted the offer. It's unlikely I'll grant you that. What I'm saying is that the more interesting issue for determination is whether the terms of Netflix comedy contracts makes the comedians fixed term employees. I'm not saying it will help her but it could have ripple effects in how Netflix structures future deals.

by Anonymousreply 114November 16, 2019 6:51 PM

This is why you're broke, you dumb ho.

"As a mother of all sons, she rejected the idea that she was raising them to become men.

“One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned is to know my place,” she said. “And sometimes women get offended, saying, ‘What do you mean your place?’ Well, we all have one. Everybody wants to be the chief. Well, I’m not the chief in my household, their daddy is.”

by Anonymousreply 115November 16, 2019 6:54 PM

r109 because it looks gross. If you don't like it go back to LSA.

by Anonymousreply 116November 16, 2019 7:27 PM

She only does the "black female discrimination" thing when she thinks it will benefit her. She didn't support Colin Kapernick or the Black Lives Matter movement.

by Anonymousreply 117November 16, 2019 7:28 PM

She backed Roseanne on calling Valerie Jared a monkey. Declared her Roseanne sister because she came on her talk show as if Roseanne wasn't there to promote a comedy tour. As if she came on the show just to shoot the breeze. Monique is something else.

by Anonymousreply 118November 16, 2019 7:38 PM

Monique suffers from fat girl syndrome. She's just glad a man, any man, chose her.

by Anonymousreply 119November 16, 2019 7:42 PM

I think she's tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 120November 16, 2019 7:44 PM

It's the sunken cost fallacy. She's lost so much under this guys managing her that ditching him would mean it was all for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 121November 16, 2019 7:46 PM

What I don't understand is how anyone can get past the STENCH?

by Anonymousreply 122November 16, 2019 7:55 PM

It's really too bad about what she has allowed to happen to her career. I think that she's quite talented. I enjoyed her role in "Almost Christmas" and I thought she was very good in the movie "Blackbird" that was an indie film and that she produced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 16, 2019 8:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124November 16, 2019 8:24 PM

Funny how she trying to capitalize on her Oscar win now, after more than 10 years. Monique has said herself she didn’t really think much of winning it.

The lawsuit is ridiculous. Completely without merit. Did she even have someone in the industry advise her how Hollywood works around the time she won? I guess not. She could’ve been sitting pretty now if she just ate some shit, like everyone has to do in any job sometimes, and played the game for the greater good.

by Anonymousreply 125November 16, 2019 8:33 PM

Everyone has told her, R125. Look at the videos up thread. Steve Harvey, Whoopie Goldberg, and many, many, more. People have even told her that it is her husband that is the problem but she is not hearing any of that. I think she's done. This lawsuit ain't going to help her any. It won't help at all.

by Anonymousreply 126November 16, 2019 8:45 PM

R126 if anyone did tell her, I think it was way after the Oscar. She made her bed, let her lie in it at this point.

by Anonymousreply 127November 16, 2019 8:54 PM

Wanda Sykes' initial lower Netflix offer was, like many have pointed out above including Sheryl Underwood, based on her last tour's receipts and attendance.

I saw Wanda in concert several years ago - it was a decent-sized audience/theater of around 1200, but it wasn't sold out and it was in a suburb about 40 miles away. She killed it but I was kind of surprised at the venue and why it wasn't downtown and so inconvenient to get to.

Compare to Amy Schumer or Dave Chapell's concert dates. There is no comparison. Now, maybe Wanda gets a better rate at smaller theaters or she's guaranteed to sell these out and not have to do a lot of promo work to get the butts in the seats. I don't know - but there is a big difference.

Was Mo'nique even on tour before the Netflix special?

by Anonymousreply 128November 16, 2019 9:20 PM

R126 Oprah did explain to her before the Oscars. Even Monique acknowledges this.

Monique likes people to think that Precious was Oprahs movie but it wasn't. Oprah watched it AFTER it had been made and loved it. Production had been financed by a white Mid Western couple FYI. But the movie didn't have a distributor so Oprah pitched it to Tyler Perry who has a running deal with Lions Gate. She then used her clout to give the movie a push among white audiences. So while Oprah has a producer credit, it's more a "thanks for being our guardian angel" credit than an actual profit share credit. Tyler has a financial stake because he bought out the films initial financiers to take it to Lions Gate.

So when Oprah called Monique to explain why she should go to Cannes, she wasn't ringing as a boss but as an outsider with insider knowledge rooting for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 129November 17, 2019 3:24 AM

Mo’Money has run out of feeding hands to bite so it’s frivolous lawsuit time.

by Anonymousreply 130November 17, 2019 9:44 AM

In entertainment you're as good as your last hit. Amy was offered millions because she had a hit tv show and two hit films by the time they made her offer. Mo'nique had nothing going on. She was lucky they offered her half a million. It doesn't matter that she won an Oscar in the past. Had it been the year after her Oscar win she could have some clout. After this move no one will work with her again, so I hope she milks Netflix playing the victim because this is it for her.

by Anonymousreply 131November 17, 2019 10:06 AM

I don't think her phone was ringing off the hook before this lawsuit. So I do think she'll benefit from it. She's getting press and she hopes to become a masthead for the injustices against black women in the industry. I can see a rival streaming company giving her an offer just for the woke points.

The problem with Monique is that she will eventually screw that up too. She just can't get along with people.

by Anonymousreply 132November 17, 2019 10:19 AM

[quote]The problem with Monique is that she will eventually screw that up too. She just can't get along with people.

She has screwed up everything. The only thing that she really has been successful at is having hundreds of interviews on YouTube complaining about something or somebody.

by Anonymousreply 133November 17, 2019 10:27 AM

Woke points won’t pay the rent.

Quite simply put, if I ran a studio, I wouldn’t negotiate with someone willing to expose me and my company’s business talks to an outside party or for public consumption. Monique also never helped any other black women get up the ladder with her when the ride was rising for her, and only cried injustice long after the door swung shut on her, not while she still had a chance during the actual negotiations. Why now?

She’s pushing her own selfish agenda under the guise of helping others, not especially altruistic or coming from a place of strength. She’s using race as a cover for her own ineptitude and bad decisions- not unlike a certain politician in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 134November 17, 2019 10:39 AM

[quote]I can see a rival streaming company giving her an offer just for the woke points.

The problem is, will they pay her what she thinks she's worth?

by Anonymousreply 135November 17, 2019 10:46 AM

[Quote] because it looks gross. If you don't like it go back to LSA.

The fuck does LSA have to do with it?? it's body hair 🙄

by Anonymousreply 136November 17, 2019 11:25 AM

This is talent. She talks about Tyler Perry at the 7:40 mark. But, the whole clip (25 min) is very funny! What a shame. I hope she works it out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 17, 2019 11:57 AM

Is Mo'Nique the only person to win an Oscar for playing herself?

by Anonymousreply 138November 17, 2019 12:06 PM

She reminds me of people I’ve worked with who accept the job offer and then bitch everyday about how much they are getting paid.

by Anonymousreply 139November 17, 2019 12:39 PM

No r138 she isn't.

by Anonymousreply 140November 17, 2019 1:19 PM

You know she really disagrees with you when she begins a reply with “My sweet sister....

by Anonymousreply 141November 17, 2019 4:34 PM

Who would hire her? Would you? Would you hire her now knowing that all of your conversations with her might be recorded and possibly released to the public to suit her? How can you trust someone like this?

by Anonymousreply 142November 17, 2019 4:41 PM

R138 I won four of them dearest.

by Anonymousreply 143November 17, 2019 5:30 PM

R134 We all thought she was unhireable before she went and got the Sahara vegas residency this year. There are very few career enders left because the public narrative shifts so fast. Of course Monique is opportunistic in lumping her issues with a legitimate cause. That doesnt change the fact that right now she's resonating with a number of social justice groups. I've watched the commentary on the Netflix thing go from being vehemently antagonist to resigned. Eventually the only people left talking about her are the people who really believe in her. And that group grows as new eyes to the story only get this social justice narrative. This is how EVERYONE is eventually rehabilitated. You can see this effect in how black Youtubers have covered this law suit. She's growing a support base.

Now as for getting a comedy special. She'll definitely get one from one of this newer streaming services. They have nothing to lose. If she trashes them, they can just point out that she trashes everyone. She's easily painted as an unreliable narrator at this point. And the upside is signing her is a lot of free press, woke points and an audience based on wokeness. The offer would very simply by a profit sharing deal. For every viewer, we give you X points. That way you don't have to discuss actual dollar amounts with her.

I'm no Monique apologist but I'm old enough to know to not write her off. Everyone gets a comeback as long as they stick around in the public consciousness.

by Anonymousreply 144November 17, 2019 5:52 PM

LOL R137 Tyler is never giving her a public apology or 6-8 mil for a movie.

by Anonymousreply 145November 17, 2019 6:14 PM

Amy Shumer sold out Madison Square Garden a couple of times (if i remember correctly) and Netflix based the salary offer primarily on those kind of numbers. She had the receipts. Mo’Money likes to purport that execs merely looked at her black female face and instantly offered her less based on that.

Mo’$ shamelessly exploiting a real issue for personal gain. Notice how she only cares about racism and gender discrimination when it’s about getting hers? So much for being a “legend”.

by Anonymousreply 146November 17, 2019 6:47 PM

The only filmmaker she's worked with in recent years that she hasn't attacked is Patrik Ian Polk. Sucks for her that he needs work as much as she does

by Anonymousreply 147November 17, 2019 7:06 PM

Transgender Comic Slams Mo’Nique For Hypocrisy--"Who is 'Daddy' calling Daddy?"

Written by Moriba Cummings

Comedian Flame Monroe is targeting fellow comic Mo'Nique in a recent interview. While critiquing the Precious star, she also took aim at her husband of 13 years, Sidney Hicks.

Monroe, a transgender woman, recently appeared on The Tammi Mac Late Show on Fox Soul where she ripped into Mo'Nique for her past homophobic comedy material.

"Here's the funniest part: You tore me down for my lifestyle, and then turned around and married my lifestyle," she said. "You've been knowing me all these years. Gay bashing don't work with me. I'm from the West Side of Chicago."

When host Tammi Mac asked Monroe to clarify what she meant when she previously said Mo'Nique married her "type," she boldly alluded that Hicks is a member of the LGBTQ community, himself.

"Stevie Wonder can see that," she said. "The question is, who is 'Daddy' calling Daddy?"

Neither Mo'Nique nor Hicks has responded to Flame Monroe's claims about their relationship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148November 17, 2019 7:52 PM

Drag Queen Comedian Flame Monroe Speaks On Trans Misconceptions, Beef w/ Mo'Nique, 'HeSheWe' + More

The whole thing (30:14) is funny but she/He/We talks about Mo'Nique a the 23:50 mark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149November 17, 2019 8:18 PM

[quote] Now as for getting a comedy special. She'll definitely get one from one of this newer streaming services. They have nothing to lose. If she trashes them, they can just point out that she trashes everyone. She's easily painted as an unreliable narrator at this point. And the upside is signing her is a lot of free press, woke points and an audience based on wokeness.

I get what you're saying but don't believe it will play out this way. This woman is kryptonite. There are way better token blacks waiting a special on some of the new streaming services. This woman is blacklisted big time. Not worth the harassment, same way Roseanne who was heading a number one show on ABC was axed for much less, a single comment on twitter. So this woman trashing all of her former employers won't bode well with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 150November 17, 2019 10:52 PM

Too bad you didn’t remember this advice, M🤡nique!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151November 17, 2019 11:17 PM

She does love to pontificate doesn't she?

by Anonymousreply 152November 17, 2019 11:19 PM

I'd prefer Less'Nique.

by Anonymousreply 153November 17, 2019 11:26 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154November 17, 2019 11:45 PM

The only reason she didnt publicly call out with Patrick Ian Polk is because she bullied him into giving her the international rights to Black Bird. Mind you we have no way of knowing if she did have behind the scenes conflict that he's never aired out.

by Anonymousreply 155November 18, 2019 8:19 AM

Wow Flame Monroe is correct. If she blocked a job from him/her, than she probably did it to many others. KARMA

by Anonymousreply 156November 20, 2019 12:48 AM

Sorry, Mo, but there's no shortage of comics at least as good as you. Your bus to obscurity is waiting. Maybe a few years down the road you'll get how you fucked things up.

by Anonymousreply 157November 20, 2019 1:14 AM

Hate this loud ignorant cow.

by Anonymousreply 158November 20, 2019 1:26 AM

Monique needs to realize she had an extremely good run for 20 years, and that she is lucky that she remained bankable for as long as she did. Monique was a headliner, she had a hit sitcom for years, and she won Hollywood's top prize. She did way better than most of her peers.

I think her career is most similar to Martin Lawrence. Lawrence made his money in TV and then movies, but you didnt hear him complaining when Dave Chappelle and new guys hit the scene. I honestly think she and the husband got too ghetto fabulous with the spending at some point, and weren't planning on demand to cool off.

by Anonymousreply 159November 20, 2019 1:38 AM

The b-tch has made herself so toxic no one will hire her anymore. To put her in your movie or TV project is like putting a rattlesnake in your own bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 20, 2019 1:53 AM

[Quote] When host Tammi Mac asked Monroe to clarify what she meant when she previously said Mo'Nique married her "type," she boldly alluded that Hicks is a member of the LGBTQ community, himself. "Stevie Wonder can see that," she said. "The question is, who is 'Daddy' calling Daddy?" Neither Mo'Nique nor Hicks has responded to Flame Monroe's claims about their relationship.

Another piece of the puzzle.

by Anonymousreply 161November 20, 2019 5:59 AM

R159 the thing is she doesn’t want to step aside. She wants a salary befitting an Oscar winner, but doesn’t want to do the work involved. They’re enough headaches in life. Hollywood doesn’t want to deal with her.

by Anonymousreply 162November 20, 2019 11:38 AM

There are^^^

by Anonymousreply 163November 20, 2019 11:38 AM

[quote]She wants a salary befitting an Oscar winner

But, isn't it true that most actors have not done well after winning the OSCAR?

by Anonymousreply 164November 20, 2019 11:40 AM

r164, it depends on your skill in navigating Hollywood and your career. Other BSA Oscar winners have had success: Octavia Spencer and Lupita Nyong'o have been pretty smart with choosing their subsequent films, are well liked in the industry, and have sustained strong careers as a result.

by Anonymousreply 165November 20, 2019 5:52 PM

Thanks, R165. I just thought that there were more actors that career's suffered similar to Cuba Gooding, Jr than those you cited

by Anonymousreply 166November 20, 2019 5:56 PM

Make note of #13

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167November 20, 2019 6:02 PM

Just cancel the bitch already.

by Anonymousreply 168November 26, 2019 3:47 AM

With an Oscar you are "hot" for less than a year. As soon as the world starts talking about potential winners for the following year, you are forgotten. You MUST find some other way to stay in the public consciousness. Either your work or your fashion sense or your likeability or your tabloid presence. Monique disappeared to BET right at her mainstream hottest. And when that talkshow was cancelled, she was extra messy which just solidified her bad image.

by Anonymousreply 169November 26, 2019 4:35 AM

Being known as a “bad bitch“ is a great way do be successful in Hollywood. —Nobody Ever

by Anonymousreply 170November 26, 2019 8:48 AM

to*.

by Anonymousreply 171November 26, 2019 8:49 AM

Being a bad bitch works very well for experienced successful women. People love to hear they have personality and fire in them. From Naomi to Madonna. But Monique isn't a bad bitch, she's a stupid bitch. Shes blundered in too many ways to count.

by Anonymousreply 172November 26, 2019 3:09 PM

Tiffany Haddish has a Netflix special. I wonder how much she was paid?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173November 26, 2019 4:52 PM

She should retroactively sue UPN for cancelling The Parkers before it's time.

by Anonymousreply 174November 26, 2019 9:49 PM

R169 I think most winners get a visibility and money bump for a few years. Plus there’s a few winners where their career is completely transformed by the win. Kathy Bates and Octavia Spencer are perfect examples of this. Monique is not very smart. She could’ve had Octavias career right now and loads of money. But she bitches she’s not being paid what she should when she did everything to bite the hand that could give her all this.

by Anonymousreply 175November 27, 2019 12:10 AM

[quote] I think most winners get a visibility and money bump for a few years. Plus there’s a few winners where their career is completely transformed by the win. Kathy Bates and Octavia Spencer are perfect examples of this. Monique is not very smart. She could’ve had Octavias career right now and loads of money. But she bitches she’s not being paid what she should when she did everything to bite the hand that could give her all this.

I'm not so sure. The Oscar curse claims the careers of a lot of actors, many of whom are far more talented than M'onique. She might've been good in Precious, but what opportunities awaited her career? She doesn't have the range of her black female contemporaries like Octavia Spencer or Viola Davis and she's nowhere near as marketable as Angela Bassett or Taraji Henson. Mo has an abrasiveness that resonates on and off screen. I think that "playing the long game" and being likable would've done far more for her career than her Academy Award.

by Anonymousreply 176November 27, 2019 12:50 AM

R176 I don’t believe there’s a curse. The Academy Award is more of a blessing to most actors that win in terms of esteemed projects, money and acting jobs in general. But you need the right management and representation in the industry to capitalize on it. Her useless husband is doing nothing for her in this capacity. You’re looked at in a different light when you win. I like Monique and would’ve loved to have seen her in some different roles. But not playing the game was more important than any acting career. Fine. Just don’t bitch about not getting paid what your worth, because you did nothing to even try proving it.

by Anonymousreply 177November 27, 2019 2:13 AM

The Oscar didn't make Octavia or Kathy. It gave them a brief moment of visibility and maybe a pay hike for their next immediate project but that's all you get from an Oscar. The rest is basic decency and hard work. If you don't strike within the first 3 months of your win, you are screwed. I bet you already forgot who won best supporting actress 2019. I know I did. I don't even care enough to Google and I sure as hell won't be paying for a movie ticket just because whoever won is in it. That cache wears off very fast.

by Anonymousreply 178November 27, 2019 5:11 AM

Oscar, Schmosker! It's all bullshit. Nothing more than a popularity contest. Ex. Whoopsie Goldboggen turned out one Oscar worthy performance after another in Colored People and Clara's Kidney, but what did she finally win it for? This silly shi t here:

"Molly..........you in danguh, girl"

by Anonymousreply 179November 28, 2019 12:12 AM

^And, the thing about Whoopie is that even the OSCAR planners have forgotten that she has hosted the award show a few times. She's forgotten. I'm sure she thanks God for "The View" gig because after "Star Trek" went off of the air she wasn't getting much work. Prior to "The View" she was hosting a morning show radio program.

by Anonymousreply 180November 28, 2019 12:38 AM

If Shumer got $10 million then Netflix should be ashamed. I have never even cracked a smile at a word that came out of that homely broad's mouth. Wanda Sykes is infinitely funnier than that fat faced Shumer.

I feel bad for her. She's a talented performer and I do believe she and others have been discriminated against by Netflix and other venues. But I also think she's gone about lodging her complaints the wrong way. She's ended up alienating herself from most of Hollywood and has done more damage to her career than all the people she's complaining about combined. Sounds like she's been given some seriously bad career advise.

by Anonymousreply 181November 28, 2019 12:54 AM

She needs a payday. How many can imagine making the money that she has made already and have such financial difficulties and stress? I recall reading somewhere that she is being sued for non-payment of rent. I wonder what she does with her money?

Mo'Nique Accused Of Owing Back Taxes, Amid Netflix Legal Battle TheBlastNovember 25, 2019

Comedian Mo’Nique is facing more financial troubles over unpaid taxes, amid her legal battle against Netflix.

According to court documents obtained by The Blast, the Georgia Department of Revenue slapped Mo’Nique and her husband Sidney Hicks with a state tax lien.

The lien was filed on November 19, only days after Mo’Nique sued [Netflix accusing them of racial and gender discrimination.

](/c/monique-lawsuit-netflix-gender-racial-discrimination-jerry-seinfeld-amy-schumer-court-millions-comedy-special-dave-Chapelle)The Georgia Department of Revenue accuses the couple of owing $12,165.80 stemming from a 2017 tax bill.

The original debt was $8,369 but it grew with interest ($1,009.26), penalties ($1,063.74) and collection costs. The Department warns if the bill isn’t paid off quickly, they can come after Mo’Nique’s property and assets.

The actress has faced financial difficulties the last couple years. Back in September, Mo’Nique was hit with a separate lien by the Georgia Department of Revenue.

The Oscar winner is accused of owing a total of $60,365.75 for the years 2015 and 2016. The original tax debt was only $31,445.71 but grew with interest ($8,983.55), penalties ($13,597.35) and collection costs ($6,289.14).

In 2016, the actress had another tax lien by the IRS. The feds claimed she owed taxes for the years 2013 ($201,695.99) and 2014 ($188,208.99) for a total of $389,904.98.

Mo’Nique and her husband, Sidney Hicks, also faced another tax lien in 2017. The IRS said they owed a total of $170,720.74 for 2015. The liens remain active and have yet to be released.

Mo’Nique’s total tax debt comes to over The total tax debt total comes to $633,157.27.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 28, 2019 1:48 AM

She and her idiot husband seem like the type of financial disasters who just can't bring themselves to pay bills for things that give them no enjoyment. People like that are mentally ill. They can't conceive that not paying their taxes is going to catch up to them one day and they're going to lose.

by Anonymousreply 183November 28, 2019 2:08 AM

When it comes to a stand up comedy gig, who cares if she won an Oscar . She was a dramatic actress in that role. Should Netflix give Meryl Streep 50 million for a stand-up comedy special since she has multiple Oscars? They wouldn't give her 50k for that. No one is looking for Meryl Streep for comedy, nor have they been looking for Mo'niques comedy for a long time. She's been off the radar for years. 500k was a generous offer

by Anonymousreply 184November 28, 2019 2:32 AM

She owes the IRS $600,000? Whats wrong with her. Why did she just spend the last 5 years ruining her every shot at paying that off? And what kind of life is she living anyway where she spends all the income shes being taxed on?

by Anonymousreply 185November 28, 2019 2:45 AM

Well, well, well, R182!

Perhaps she's hoping to deal with the tax issues and other debts, by embarrassing Netflix into settlings. That is, giving her money to shut up and go away.

by Anonymousreply 186November 28, 2019 5:32 AM

Well, well, well, R182!

Perhaps she's hoping to deal with the tax issues and other debts, by embarrassing Netflix into settlings. That is, giving her money to shut up and go away.

by Anonymousreply 187November 28, 2019 5:32 AM

SETTLING, goddamit!

by Anonymousreply 188November 28, 2019 5:36 AM

SETTLING, goddamit!

by Anonymousreply 189November 28, 2019 5:36 AM

That’s exactly what she’s doing. But once she’s done with that and the dust settles, good luck with finding a job in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 190November 28, 2019 5:48 AM

Netflix isn't going to settle. It would create a very expensive precedence for them. A line of disgruntled comics would form at their front door. And it would harm their brand much more than if they let it play out in court. Monique already played her hand anyway. The allegations in her submissions didn't even make a dent in black news let alone the mainstream. Now Netflix can fire back with her analytics as well as her industry rep. This was not the way to get paid, Sidney.

by Anonymousreply 191November 28, 2019 7:29 AM

Mo'nique, deux qui la tiennent, trois qui la niquent.

by Anonymousreply 192November 28, 2019 7:45 AM

Like I said previeusly, if Shumer deserved $10 million then comics like Monique and Sykes deserved more than a few hundred thousand. But that said, that's what they were offered, they accepted it, and did the work. There is no law that says performers all get the same amount of money. Obviously the salaries are based primarily of what the production company thinks a particular star's "STAR" is worth. Apparently Schumer is worth a lot more money to Netflix and Monique and Wanda. Why, I can't fathom. But that's the world we live in.

Ergo, Monique, Toots, you ain't got a chance in hell at winning this lawsuit. And you're doing your future more damage than you can ever imagine.

by Anonymousreply 193November 28, 2019 10:13 AM

Lets be clear. Netflix doesn't give deals because you are funny. They give deals because you have a built-in audience. At the time, Amy Schumer had written and starred in Trainwreck which was a big surprise hit. She also had the highest rated sketch show on Comedy Central (which is actually quite funny). Those clips do very well on Youtube. And she had both a vocal fanbase and vocal haters. Basically they gambled that both groups will watch and it probably paid off.

by Anonymousreply 194November 28, 2019 10:48 AM

^But, in fairness to Monique R194, you're citing Shumer's CV and that is the point that Monique is making. She has an impressive CV too--at least, according to her. Now, I don't know if Shumer's accomplishments are much more recent than Monique's, etc.

While I don't think that Monique will win this case, her bringing this issue to the forefront might cause companies to pause a little and think about how they pay people and make how the company arrives at its offers and make the process more transparent. For example, the company might feel that Monique's audiences are more urban and therefore it is valued as "X" amount. That wouldn't explain Sykes' offer though. But. you see that factors such as the given example opens up other areas for discussion.

by Anonymousreply 195November 28, 2019 12:01 PM

R178 Regina King won it and I didn’t google it. Bates and Spencer are still reaping the benefits of their wins a long time after the fact. You think Mahershala Ali would’ve have a won a second Oscar, if it wasn’t for his first in a best pic winner? No one knew who the hell he was. The Oscar isn’t a magic wand for everyone (foreign male actors that win usually fade back into obscurity) , but for actors who no one knows who they are who win, it is. It definitely catapults you to the next level. The idea you think that through hard work and perseverance these actors would be in the same place now is ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 196November 28, 2019 12:30 PM

Would’ve won^^^

by Anonymousreply 197November 28, 2019 12:30 PM

Nope. Nope. Nope R195. Let me do this slowly so you get me. Netflix are looking at how large an audience you are capable of attracting. What's your box office track record?

1) In 2015 Amy Schumer wrote and starred in a COMEDY movie which grossed 140 million. Amy Schumer was heavily centered in the promo of this film. The films success is logically attributed to her. She was also head writer and star of the hottest sketch show at the time that year. So in 2016, she was absolutely displaying evidence of delivering an audience.

2) In 2016 Monique CO- starred in a comedy film which grossed 40 million. That's right, Almost Christmas grossed 100 million less than Trainwreck. Furthermore, Monique was part of a large prestigious ensemble of actors. She was not even centered in the poster. She didnt write it either. Very little of that films success was attributable to her. The Parkers ended in 2004 and Queens was in 2001, neither can tell us whether she has box office mojo in 2017. Furthermore, her mythos didnt live on in her absence like it did for Eddie or Chappelle. She began negotiations in 2017.

See the difference now?? Most of the stuff Monique is tauting on her CV is irrelevant to whether she and her writing can attract an audience today.

by Anonymousreply 198November 28, 2019 12:59 PM

Regarding urban audiences, standup comedy is a lot like music. Having black approval often gives you a stamp of approval with the mainstream. Of course not everyone transcends but it's hardly the kiss of death to have a black following as a standup comic. From Redd Foxx to Chris Rock, these guys started out with all black audiences which made "the cool" white kids take a look. Even white comics like Bill Burr started out at the Apollo.

The industry may have disregard for black audiences in other genres but in standup comedy its in your favor to be co-signed by a black following. Your job is to be smart enough to build on it. The best thing Monique could do for herself is sit at the feet of Whoopi, Wanda Sykes and now Tiffany. Learn something about strategic crossover.

by Anonymousreply 199November 28, 2019 1:12 PM

And to be clear the reason an entertainer should try to crossover is because it increases his audience. Black people only comprise 10% of the population. If you refuse to reach over then your numbers will be pathetic and you can't then plead racism when they offer you commensurate pay.

by Anonymousreply 200November 28, 2019 1:22 PM

“Forbes Magazine put out its list of the top-10 paid comedians and for the first time, there's a woman on it: Amy Schumer.

The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo author landed at No. 4 with $17 million, generated from her $8 million book advance, as well as her hit film Trainwreck, Inside Amy Schumer and her Super Bowl ad for Budweiser. She has continued to tour as well, becoming the first female comic to sell out Madison Square Garden this summer”

This is why Amy S was offered 17m. And Monique thought she should get the same for winning an Oscar for playing herself in a movie 10 years ago?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201November 28, 2019 1:49 PM

Her not going to Cannes to promote Precious is baffling. If your movie is going to Cannes and you're a star in it, it is very routine to go. It sounds like she gave the performance and then washed her hands of it, expecting to skate on that success forever. That's just not how it works, for anyone. Most people campaign for the Oscar too, which she did not. She gave a great performance in that film and deserved her Oscar, but I think she let her ego get the best of her and started burning bridges from thereon. It is a shame because she is genuinely talented.

by Anonymousreply 202November 28, 2019 2:09 PM

R202 It wasn't that. She was basically holding the film hostage for more pay. She was dumb enough not to realise that Lionsgate would never create that kind of precedence. Same as she doesn't realise Netflix would never create the precedence of settling this case of hers.

by Anonymousreply 203November 28, 2019 2:34 PM

After thinking about it a while I think it's entirely possible if performers like Monique and Wanda Sykes do a special for Netflix or any other venue and are offered a lower ball salary on the first go round, and that special does gangbusters, Netflix would probably be more willing to up the payday for these performers on the next go round. But if they get pissed off after the first one and burn their bridges they'll just kill all future bigger paydays from Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 204November 28, 2019 2:42 PM

I blame that apostrophe in her name.

by Anonymousreply 205November 28, 2019 2:43 PM

I refuse to type her name like that. Monique is her real name after all.

by Anonymousreply 206November 28, 2019 2:52 PM

R204 just described the entertainmemt business. You are only worth your last coup. Don't like what's offered? Create the evidence that you are worth more. That's what Wanda Sykes did. Clearly her special on the rival platform did well enough for Netflix to reconsider.

by Anonymousreply 207November 28, 2019 3:00 PM

By the way, I keep wondering why she wastes her days with that stupid relationship show. She doesn't even have sponsors after three years of that crap. Why doesn't she start putting out comedy material? Something she can monetize. These youtube creators are making millions outside of the system. I mean if Jada can have a FB show with more viewers than TV shows, there's clearly an audience thats very open to older black women.

Other question. Isn't it strange she hasn't been on Jadas show? It would be a perfect fit in terms of issues that Jada cares about too. It seems to me another example of how Moniques mouth cost her valuable allies.

by Anonymousreply 208November 28, 2019 3:10 PM

Sadly, money goes to money, and a public disclosure of financial trouble weakens perceptions of performers. If these tax liens are legitimate, it’s a bad marker for her brand.

The economics of sitcoms looks really dark and precarious. Being in a successful one, yet not creating it or owning the intellectual property rights to it, is almost like a trap door. Your best hope is to move onto others, or become a successful character actor. Or marry money and stay in the culture of it (many actors marry wealthy spouses outside show business, like a surgeon or venture capitalist).

To have been famous but not able to stay financially prosperous must be so terrifying, because you’re an open book. Your best hope is a great part, but if you’re a pain in the ass to deal with, you’re done and broke. How often does lightening strike the same spot three or four times?

Maybe it’s best to fly a little further from the sun. Don’t become an allegory of what not to do with fame and notoriety. It would be awful to be the story people tell others when they get a few great parts (”ooh ooh! Don’t fuck it up by becoming a greedy egomaniac...don’t become a nightmare to manage or deal with!)

by Anonymousreply 209November 28, 2019 3:37 PM

Many before her have gone down the same path and it always ends bad.

by Anonymousreply 210November 28, 2019 3:42 PM

R203, hit the nail on its head. It was totally about money. I'm sure that all actors try to do do their best in the acting ventures that they accept. But, I'm also sure that a lot pf actors kind of bet on what's going to be a hit or not. I don't think anybody saw the massive success that "Precious" would have both financially and in popularity. The film had a budget of $10M but has had a box office of $64M! Now, I have heard from here somewhere (ONLY ONCE and recently too) that besides the $40-50K that she agreed she would be paid, she would also get a percentage of the back-end. She and Sidney are just trying to get money.

by Anonymousreply 211November 28, 2019 3:51 PM

[quote] But, in fairness to Monique [R194], you're citing Shumer's CV and that is the point that Monique is making. She has an impressive CV too--at least, according to her. Now, I don't know if Shumer's accomplishments are much more recent than Monique's, etc

You are delusional. And if you know anything about CV's, you know it's your most current work that really matters. A person may have had a great job 10 or 20 years ago, but if their last 10 years was spent working at McDonalds/fast food, a company is going to pass on them. Monique should be happy anyone wanted to hire her. She is definitely known for being an ungrateful, extremely difficult, bitch who loves to bite the hand that feeds her

After this lawsuit, no one will hire her.

by Anonymousreply 212November 28, 2019 4:14 PM

The real compensation was the opportunity to give an Oscar-winning performance and parlay that into significant roles and opportunities—not act like an arrogant ass and offend and attack everyone that could potentially help you in that regard.

Monique and her husband have made themselves pariahs in the industry because no one is going to risk significant money on a project and involve someone who is more than likely going to be a pain in the ass - or who will continually bad mouth the project or those involved publicly either during or after production for publicity.

She is so toxic and radioactive she practically glows.

by Anonymousreply 213November 28, 2019 4:26 PM

R211 Wait, for Precious, did she really get a piece of the back end? That’s unusual for an ensemble piece. I think she was paid strictly a performance fee. If she was earning a piece of the back end, she’d have more incentive to promote the film at Cannes, etc.

by Anonymousreply 214November 28, 2019 4:38 PM

[quote][R211] Wait, for Precious, did she really get a piece of the back end? That’s unusual for an ensemble piece.

I've only heard her mention it only once, R214. It came from her mouth and it was very recent. I can't remember the interview of where she said it or I would post it here. It seems as if she does nothing but interviews now. But, my ears perked up because it was new information that I had never heard before. I believe she said that she had a 4% back end percentage.

by Anonymousreply 215November 28, 2019 4:54 PM

She did the role as a favor for the director and agreed to be paid less since it was a small project. Then it blew up and she was pissed because she didn’t get anything more than a paltry sum and the acclaim.

That’s why she didn’t want to go to Cannes. She felt like she already got a raw deal, so why should she spend more money out of pocket to promote the film. She felt like the director and studio should foot the bill to send her to Cannes, - along with a makeup assistant - and someone to scratch out her head and hairy legs so she would look presentable.

by Anonymousreply 216November 28, 2019 6:21 PM

Interviewer: You were only paid $50,000 for “Precious.” Did you get a back end?

Monique: There was a back end, in all fairness. But the end it was behind, it was the double triple quadruple back end. Because Lee Daniels was my friend, he said, “This is what it is.” And we said, “Okay.” That movie made a lot of money all over the world. And again you have to ask yourself, “Why is it that we don’t take part in it?” Myself and Gabourey Sidibe, we should have become multi-millionaires off that movie, had we been given the right information. We weren’t given the right information. If you’re not given the right information, it doesn’t allow you to negotiate fairly.

Interviewer: What’s the right information?

Monique: By them saying, “Let me lay everything out on the table. This is what this means, this is what this back end means.” I don’t think my friend will tell me anything that’s not right. But then you understand it’s business. It’s a lesson well learned, a costly one. You have to ask yourself if “Precious” is so successful, why is that I’m not getting offers that make sense because you see what happens at the box office? I don’t say it’s just because of me. It was a collective group. Everyone that took part was a big part of the success.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217November 28, 2019 6:26 PM

Translation: this is what happens when you don’t pay for proper and skilled representation —someone who knows the business and can negotiate on your behalf. Instead, you let your whack “manager” husband handle it fuck it up for you.

by Anonymousreply 218November 28, 2019 6:33 PM

A good manager or agent could have done so much with her post-"Precious" career! If someone had been able to get her to listen to advice and at least appear to play the game sometimes, she could have terrific career as a character actress who's great at both comedy and drama.

Did she ever have a good agent? Because if she did, she probably fired them the minute she was told something she didn't want to hear, such as being asked to see the big picture. She does seem to be a person who is totally incapable of seeing the big picture, who can't see the forest for the tree, who will blow big chances over small issues. She's such an object lesson.

by Anonymousreply 219November 28, 2019 6:44 PM

So you see, when asked by Variety which is the biggest Trade paper, she admits she did have backend. Funny how she leaves that out in all other retelling.

I don't know why she thinks she should have been a multi-millionaire. That movie had a production cost of 10M. It definitely gobbled up more than 10M in promo, advertising and award campaigns and travel. These are very conservative estimates. That puts us at 20M in expenses. The movie grossed 47 million, half of which will be retained by the theaters. That basically means 23M found its way back to the studio. Subtract 20M in expenses and you have 3M in net profit which was actually quite excellent for an indie. The vast majority of movies run at a loss. Now split 3M on a points basis and tell me again why this dumb bitch thought she would make RDJ backend.

It takes 5 minutes to read up on backend deals and understand it's not calculated from box office gross.

by Anonymousreply 220November 28, 2019 6:52 PM

AH! THANKS R217, R220! I knew I heard that she did get a backend or it was an offer. It's all about the money. I know that somewhere else she said she doesn't want anyone to gift her with a car or anything else. She and Sidney will buy their own stuff. Once again, it's all about money and that can be fair, but it comes across to me that she is hard up for cash. This leads me to wonder how she and Sidney are spending the money that they (she) do earn.

by Anonymousreply 221November 28, 2019 7:45 PM

[quote] so why should she spend more money out of pocket to promote the film.

But, is it really out of pocket? I don't know, but I would think that any studio would pay for transportation, accommodations, and a daily per diem. A company might even cover the costs of a makeup artist, stylist, and hairsylist too. However, when you demand that you only travel a specific way, stay in only certain accommodations, only hire certain and specific people, then you might run into some pushback. My sense is she just wanted an extra check for her time.

by Anonymousreply 222November 28, 2019 7:58 PM

I'm betting that dumbass husband is the main one fucking up all the money. He's probably spending whatever she makes like a fiend, and she's letting him get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 223November 28, 2019 8:11 PM

Yes, there have been occasions where actors were paid extra to promote a film, but those are kind of special circumstances. For instance, most of the actors in the "Lord of the Rings" movies were paid scale, because the whole project was such a huge gamble that production expenses were kept as low as possible. When the first film was a hit, the actors held out for extra promotion money when the second film came out and got it, and it doesn't seem to have been held against them. But that was a big studio film that was a guaranteed moneymaker, at least, it was guaranteed when the second film came out.

It's different with low-budget indie films. Everyone with sense knows that actors do low-budget indie films because they might get you future work that's well-paid, not because you're going to get anything out of a shoestring production.

by Anonymousreply 224November 28, 2019 8:20 PM

She’s like Trump in that her abs her husband always position themselves as victims, being taken for suckers, and that everyone is trying to cheat them.

by Anonymousreply 225November 29, 2019 12:21 AM

*she and

by Anonymousreply 226November 29, 2019 12:22 AM

Mo'Nique: "Hollywood May Never Have Me Back"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227November 29, 2019 4:08 AM

She says that her backend was 5%

Mo'Nique On Lee Daniels's Shows Getting Canceled: "What You Put Out Is What You Get Back"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228November 29, 2019 4:16 AM

Listening to her talk is about as painful as listening to Trump - both paint their own self serving ways as some noble cause for the greater good, when we all know it’s just naked greed.

by Anonymousreply 229November 29, 2019 5:11 AM

5% is A LOT to hand over to an actress with no drama cred and little name recognition outside of a very specific segment in the black community. Monique was not the massive star pre-Precious that the youngins think she was. Lee Daniels absolutely did do her a favor with that 5% profit sharing on a small black indie.

by Anonymousreply 230November 29, 2019 8:06 AM

Now it’s all going to the IRS in tax penalties

by Anonymousreply 231November 29, 2019 8:11 AM

Ya know...

I actually can envision her playing the character of Lena (the mother) in a film/stage/television version of "A Raisin In The Sun."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232November 29, 2019 2:07 PM

Dramatic Interpretation Models - Mama from "A Raisin in the Sun"

Comparing three performances of a monologue out of Lorraine Hansberry's play "A Raisin in the Sun," Phylicia Rashad (2008), Esther Rolle (1989) and Claudia McNeil (1961) all give different takes on the role of Lena Younger ("Mama"). This "There's always something left to love" monologue comes from Act 3. What strategies do the actors employ to effectively portray their character? What makes their performance compelling? Who played it best? (leave comments below)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233November 29, 2019 2:16 PM

If anyone wanted to film a remake of "Raisin", they'd hire Alfre Woodard or Angela Bassett, someone who will do a damn good job and who won't create problems for the production over some petty issue.

by Anonymousreply 234November 29, 2019 4:29 PM

Her attorney, Ricky Anderson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235November 29, 2019 11:39 PM

Wheeeew! These two are batshit. Highly suggest you watch this video.

Vlad who runs VladTv talking about how Monique and Sidney sat for an interview and then refused to sign the release. They then sent a counter release form which declared the footage theirs but granting Vlad a one year license to air it. Sidney then offered to take it down after a year if her problem was that she didn't want it out there forever. They refused. They wanted to OWN the man's footage. That's why that interview disappeared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236November 30, 2019 4:00 AM

Sorry, *Vlad offered to take it down after a year. They refused because their goal was to OWN Vlads footage. Probably scheming for that YouTube adcents lol

by Anonymousreply 237November 30, 2019 4:04 AM

What is interesting is that this topic seems to be gaining some steam. What I've seen in my small universe is that those who are in the industry itself pretty much agree that she doesn't have a case. However, many of the wannabes (those who want to be famous but don't have two pennies to rub together) are really supporting her. So, who knows where this will land.

I personally feel that she doesn't have a case. I think that R198 and R220 laid the NetFlix case out well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238November 30, 2019 9:13 PM

A take from just one of the wannabes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239November 30, 2019 9:18 PM

I think Netflix's legal case boils down to this:

"If we made a stupid financial decision once, it doesn't oblige us to make another stupid financial decision in YOUR favor."

by Anonymousreply 240November 30, 2019 10:47 PM

[quote]Monique was not the massive star pre-Precious that the youngins think she was.

Monique had the same level of stardom as Steve Harvey ten years ago, and look how differently their lives have turned out. They have had extremely similar ascents to the top of their fields. They both started in the same arenas, had hit TV shows that lasted for a few seasons, which made them pretty good money. They both did radio and later talk shows. Steve kissed asses, and Monique did not.

I think Monique did herself in with the BET talkshow around 2010-2011, around when she won the Oscar. I think she and that husband have used Precious as a distraction from the fiasco of her talk-show, which could've elevated her to Steve Harvey status had it taken off. I believe she pissed off the wrong people at BET, and they spread the word to all the black power players, locking her out of easy money. I've heard that Debra Lee, who was chairwoman of BET at that time, has incredible power in the business and is notorious for cancelling careers of black entertainers who piss her off.

by Anonymousreply 241November 30, 2019 11:25 PM

"I think Monique did herself in with the BET talkshow around 2010-2011, around when she won the Oscar."

I don't think it's possible to overstate how monumentally stupid it was for her to piss off Black Hollywood, and black power brokers like Lee and Tyler Perry.

by Anonymousreply 242November 30, 2019 11:42 PM

That story about not wanting to go to Cannes to promote the film.... I remember reading about a young actor (not American), who would later become a very famous Oscar winner, who heard that one of his films was to be presented at Cannes.

Knowing how important it was, somehow he made his way to Cannes and ended up sleeping in someone's bathtub. Just to be there.

When I heard Mo'Nique's attitude about going to Cannes, I couldn't help but remember this story. She was very shortsighted.

by Anonymousreply 243November 30, 2019 11:52 PM

Hello my loves, please join this comic in boycotting Telemundo for language bias

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244December 1, 2019 3:34 AM

R241 Must suck so know that you can't compete with a living Mr. Potatohead.

by Anonymousreply 245December 1, 2019 4:44 AM

R243 Precisely. Established actors crawl over themselves to get their film showing at Cannes even if it's not in competition. Its basically a massive expo of film makers, financiers and distributors under one roof. People go there to pick up deals not just to be on Dicaprios yacht. In fact many movies come to Cannes without distribution deals and receive offers while there.

A smarter woman would have gone for her own interests. Mingle with film-makers so you are an easy casting choice. Meet financiers with your own project ideas. She keeps talking about being a boss, this is how you do it.

by Anonymousreply 246December 1, 2019 7:39 AM

The linked clip is old and long (2018/1 hour) but it is very revealing. Apparently this guy is an entertainment reporter and he spills a few secrets (or, what were secrets) about Mo'Nique's behavior. This is really all on her and her husband. There are too many people saying the same thing. She and her husband are just messes, period. This guy really goes into what the problems were between Mo'Nique and Will Packer. What I liked about this clip is that the speaker calls out Mo'Nique's disingenuous. She's taking the "MeToo" movement and other causes just to co-opt them to meet her agenda.

He talks about how the two are always trying to "shake-down" employers and they're just plain difficult to work with. Now, no one wants to be bothered. You can't blame them if all what is being said is true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247December 1, 2019 8:02 AM

Highest-Paid Actresses Of 2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248December 1, 2019 8:28 AM

Nobody is denying that black actresses are under paid R248. Nobody has spat on Viola, Jada and Tracey Ellis Ross for stating it. We are saying that Monique in particular is full of shit. Not even black producers think she's worth the trouble.

by Anonymousreply 249December 1, 2019 10:07 AM

I remember when she went in on Debra Lee. Netflix is going to dig all of this past up. Was Debra Lee who is a black woman also gender and color biased when she cancelled that show and cut ties with those two? I hope Netflix does its background research. Time to fully expose this fake activist

by Anonymousreply 250December 1, 2019 10:19 AM

This heifer....her career is dead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251December 1, 2019 3:54 PM

She'll probably end up working at Dunkin Donuts.

by Anonymousreply 252December 1, 2019 5:03 PM

Sidenote: Does anyone think Flame Monroe was offensive to members of the trans community in the interview @ r149? Apparently a lot of the girls felt like she was...

by Anonymousreply 253December 1, 2019 10:28 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254December 1, 2019 11:19 PM

And by "girls" do you mean real girls or she-men? And why are either offended Flame Monroes opinions on trans when he is himself trans. We give him points for acknowledging he is not a woman and can't force the world to see him as something he isn't. And I especially love how he trolls their pronoun stupidity by demanding to be referred to by all pronouns at the same time. By far the only half way sane trans person with a platform.

by Anonymousreply 255December 2, 2019 5:15 AM

It's interesting that Monique always brings up Hattie McDaniel when Hattie was all about playing the game.

"White Hollywood pigeonholed her as the sassy Mammy archetype, with 74 confirmable domestic roles out of the IMDb list of 94 ("I'd rather play a maid than be a maid," was her go-to response). "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256December 2, 2019 6:31 PM

R256 Hattie's wiki is worth the read. She earned her success and lived her life the way she wanted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257December 2, 2019 6:44 PM

Exactlr R257 Mo'nique acts like Hattie is her role model but Hattie played the fucking game (and the game was a lot harder back then). Hattie has 2 stars on the Walk of Fame and is remembered quite fondly. Mo'nique...um.......

by Anonymousreply 258December 2, 2019 6:52 PM

Speaking of Hattie McDaniel, now there's somebody I would LOVE to see a biopic made about.

by Anonymousreply 259December 2, 2019 6:59 PM

R259 Starring ME and produced, possibly directed by my VERY straight husband

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260December 2, 2019 7:10 PM

[quote]She earned her success and lived her life the way she wanted.

Her life was a mess. She suffered the fate that many Black women suffered through, and that many still suffer with today. She couldn't find a black man who was her equal professionally and/or financially. She hated the roles that she was forced to play but what was she going to do? It was work. I've read that she was paid $2K for her role on "Beaulah" but what I want to know is if she was the highest paid actor on that series since she was the star. I'm not buying those stories that white actors and actresses loved them some Hattie so much that they would have her over to the house frequently, or stop over her place for breakfast. How is it that Hollywood is so "woke" and the rest of the country isn't? Hattie more than likely worked more than her white counterparts and yes, she had a gold statue. But, the bottom line is that she was nothing more than the negress that was the maid.

She had a nice house, though...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261December 2, 2019 7:12 PM

She loved living well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262December 2, 2019 7:17 PM

I was so sure DL's 98% white audience would have nothing to say on a black woman in Hollywood refusing to just shut up do what she's told

So many strawmen arguments here. Is Monique as in demand as Ellen? No. But she was almost definitely offered way less than she should have been paid. She's the first black woman to ever have a Vegas residency. She's basically the black bette midler and they're not paying her equity

by Anonymousreply 263December 2, 2019 7:19 PM

And, good for her! She worked for it and earned it!

But, bottom line she was a negress who played a maid most of the time.

There wasn't even money to bury her properly or she wasn't allowed to be buried where she wanted to be. There are issues about her burial. Where were her "friends" then?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264December 2, 2019 7:20 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265December 2, 2019 7:39 PM

R265 You sound like one of those old racist trolls that spends a breath and a half shitting on black people and then ends it with how great you think Diana Ross, the one black performer you can stomach, is. We know it's because she's from one of the "well behaved" generations!

by Anonymousreply 266December 2, 2019 7:45 PM

R266 None of which changes the fact that Mo'Nique simply isn't the scale of draw that she seems to think she is. Show business is business - she doesn't pull in the money because she doesn't pull in the money. The End.

Next, please.

by Anonymousreply 267December 2, 2019 7:47 PM

Mo' sold out an entire women's prison-- a completely captive audience. So there goes your argument.

by Anonymousreply 268December 2, 2019 7:52 PM

So she's more interesting than TV, good on her.

by Anonymousreply 269December 2, 2019 7:56 PM

"I was so sure DL's 98% white audience would have nothing to say on a black woman in Hollywood refusing to just shut up do what she's told "

Yeah, well, the Datalounge is made up of middle-class mostly whites who are professionals or who think of themselves as professionals... and as such, they *play the game*. Whatever their field is, whether they like it or not, they play enough of the game to stay employed, and a build a caftan fund for their old age.

As such, they are fascinated by someone who refused to *play the game*, and are mesmerized by seeing the upshot in action! And they're taking Mo'Nique's story as an object lesson in what happens if you stop playing the game.

by Anonymousreply 270December 2, 2019 8:02 PM

Sorry, Mo', you just aren't worth the grief. I hope your decline into obscurity isn't too painful.

by Anonymousreply 271December 2, 2019 8:06 PM

I forgot that she did this too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272December 2, 2019 8:15 PM

She'll have to resign herself to being much less famous than the other Moe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273December 2, 2019 8:17 PM

[quote] I was so sure DL's 98% white audience would have nothing to say on a black woman in Hollywood refusing to just shut up do what she's told So many strawmen arguments here. Is Monique as in demand as Ellen? No.

Girl, Bye. Let's stop with the bullshit that this is about racial & gender discrimination when Shonda Rhimes and Ava Duvernay signed crazy lucrative deals with Netflix. She herself has said that her issues with Lee Daniels, Tyler Perry, Oprah, Will Packer and even BET were about money. Of course she's added more to the narrative to ensure that she looks like the (perpetually) wronged party.

It's no one's fault but her own that she allows a man who has absolutely no business acumen, let alone in entertainment, manage her career. Like Paul Mooney said, "She's black famous," and even at that, it's among an older generation. She couldn't even sell out the dates for her 2018 comedy tour and the tickets ended up on Groupon. She had The Parkers (an ensemble sitcom on UPN) and Queens of Comedy (not a solo headliner gig) and both of which were decades ago. Who's going to pay her millions when she can't sell out the Apollo?

by Anonymousreply 274December 2, 2019 8:52 PM

[quote]It's no one's fault but her own that she allows a man who has absolutely no business acumen, let alone in entertainment, manage her career.

Maybe he has a big dick?

by Anonymousreply 275December 2, 2019 9:38 PM

R275 so you ride it all night and don't take it work

by Anonymousreply 276December 2, 2019 11:40 PM

Pretty sure most commentators on this thread are black. I can't imagine white boys discussing Monique this long. But whoever thinks Patti is up herself needs to fuck off. Soul is a smaller genre and yes, Taylor Swift will outsell the 5 greatest soul artists headlining without trying but so what??? Patti isn't demanding Taylor Swift money. She did say that Taylor is just a fancy dress but where's the lie? Monique should have thrown some shade at Amy and kept it moving.

by Anonymousreply 277December 3, 2019 4:25 AM

R277, No, I think Mo should've just kept it moving. PERIOD! She should've kept her focus on her own coins. But she keeps jumping in other people's affairs in order to further her own agenda.

Oh, and let's keep it all the way real. People would've gone the fuck off if a white comedian like Michelle Wolfe had dragged Tiffany Haddish into a money dispute with a network. And minimized her talent and worth too?! Michelle would've been cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 278December 3, 2019 5:20 AM

R278 Well, she can only pound her desk and scream that she deserves more money so much before it gets stale. She's got to throw stones at other people to mix it up.

by Anonymousreply 279December 3, 2019 5:23 AM

[quote]But whoever thinks Patti is up herself needs to fuck off. Soul is a smaller genre and yes, Taylor Swift will outsell the 5 greatest soul artists headlining without trying but so what??? Patti isn't demanding Taylor Swift money. She did say that Taylor is just a fancy dress but where's the lie?

You see? Don't mess with these black queens when it comes to their "Miss Patti." They will cut you live.

by Anonymousreply 280December 3, 2019 2:14 PM

Found the unseasoned purdue chicken^^

by Anonymousreply 281December 3, 2019 3:20 PM

I just know 5 years from now, Monique will be the Wendy Williams of 2019. Finally leaving the bullshit ass husband who has manipulated her for decades, after he's fathered another child and her own are grown. But for now we will see her defend "Daddy's" every move. At least Wendy's brand remained intact throughout the drama, and Wendy didn't try to take Black Hollywood down with her. She's going to need more than an apology press tour to get real work again.

by Anonymousreply 282December 3, 2019 9:01 PM

Wendy did try to bring people down with her misery. There isn't a major figure in black entertainment that she didnt go after. And they're both very delicate with white artists though. But you are right. ANYBODY can make a comeback once enough time has passed. History is rewritten to make them out to be victims of circumstance or just straight up the hero of the story. That's what will happen for Monique. In ten years, she'll be remembered as the one who single handedly changed the industry even if nothing changed and she had nothing to do with anything.

by Anonymousreply 283December 4, 2019 2:43 AM

She buried herself and her career OP, without anyone's help

by Anonymousreply 284December 4, 2019 2:53 AM

She buried herself and her career OP, without anyone's help

by Anonymousreply 285December 4, 2019 2:53 AM

She needs Oprah. Oprah doesn't need her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286February 5, 2020 11:42 AM

therealmoworldwide's therealmoworldwide

Dear @oprah,

I felt compelled to write you this open letter after observing the disparity in the way that you seem to treat people, who were accused of the same allegations. You did an interview on the CBS Morning Show and were asked about Harvey Weinstein by Norah O’Donnell, and you said as it pertained to him that you “always try to look at the Rainbow in the clouds, whatever is the “silver lining”. You also said “if we make this all about Harvey Weinstein then we have lost the moment”. When you either are, or were going to be a part of documentary on Michael Jackson, and Russell Simmons, how is that not making it all about them? Interestingly, Brother M.J. was acquitted, and deceased, so how is he not off limits? Russell and Harvey are accused of the same thing so in fairness how do you not “support” the accusers of both as you said you did with R.S. or you look for the silver lining for both like you said you did for H.W.?

The only difference between the two is there skin color and doesn’t H.W. have way more accusers? My personal experience with you is you’ve watched me as a black women be accused of being difficult for not promoting “Precious” internationally for Lions Gate, at Lions Gate, Tyler Perry and your request, despite the fact my deal was with Lee Daniels Entertainment. And, how are you for black women when you hear Tyler on audio saying I was right and he was going to speak up but you or him still haven’t said a word? When I was sixteen and I meet you at your local show in Baltimore, I told you I wanted to be just like you when I grew up. You responded, “ you have to work really really hard”. My sixteen year old self didn’t know that you in your silence in the face of wrongdoing, would make my life “harder”. Lastly, please consider standing by the people who are right and not just the “right people”. Love you to life,

Mo’Nique

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287February 5, 2020 12:04 PM

She has a really good point. She had a contract with producer/ director Lee Daniels. She honored her contract with him by making the movie. Along comes Oprah and Tyler Perry after the picture is finished and agree to promote it as "producers". How you produce something already finished is a mystery. Anyway Oprah tells her she needs to go to Europe to promote the movie and and she doesn't work for her.

by Anonymousreply 288February 5, 2020 2:28 PM

You do realize that this dispute goes back decades ago, R288? I have underwear (that I can no longer use) just as old as this dispute.

by Anonymousreply 289February 5, 2020 2:42 PM

She said Oprah made her life harder. She's the one who's making her life harder she and her stupid husband. Why can't she realize this? Contrary to popular opinion Oprah really isn't God. I would love to see Dr. Phil have her on his show and try and reason with her.

by Anonymousreply 290February 5, 2020 3:24 PM

Mo'Nique Pens Open Letter Tp Oprah About Making Her 'Life Harder'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291February 5, 2020 6:19 PM

Not the talent she thinks she is.

by Anonymousreply 292February 5, 2020 7:07 PM

If that husband wasn't in the picture where would she be now?

by Anonymousreply 293February 5, 2020 10:25 PM

The apostrophe in her name makes me think of this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294February 5, 2020 10:28 PM

We need less of Mo.

by Anonymousreply 295February 11, 2020 11:22 AM

As someone posted upthread, she isn't an employee of Netflix. She would be an independent contractor. Netflix has asked her to produce a project. They aren't telling her how to do it, what to include, etc. I'm assuming they gave her a deadline but that's it.

She could have negotiated (if she didn't already do that), counter-offered, accepted or turned down the offer. This does not mean Netflix discriminated against her based on race or gender.

As was previously mentioned, her Oscar is not for a comedic role. If I paid for a comedy show and Mo'Nique started spouting Shakespeare, I'd sue her ass and anyone else I could! Netflix can't base her current worth on something completely different than what they have contracted for.

by Anonymousreply 296February 11, 2020 3:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!