Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dad allegedly kills 14-year-old because ‘He’d rather have a dead son than a gay son’

For the vast majority of us, it doesn’t matter what our children look like, what their interests are, or what they dream of doing when they’re older. They’re our children, and as such we adore them unquestionably.

Sadly, there are a small percentage of adults too caught up in their own viewpoints to let their sons and daughters flourish as they will. A dad who allegedly murdered his teenage boy, purportedly because he would rather have a dead son than a gay son, has appeared in court. As per reports, Wendell Melton was arrested two years ago in connection with the death of his 14-year-old son Giovanni.

He now faces charges of open murder, child abuse in the first-degree, and possession of a firearm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 13, 2019 7:03 PM

Well he must be happy now.

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 3:50 PM

Tracy Morgan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 3:51 PM

This is so sad. I can't help but wonder if the dad was trying to "kill the gay" in himself. Why is it still so unaccepted in the black community?

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 3:51 PM

The article quotes a former foster mother and notes that the teen was living alone in an apartment... and this deadbeat thought he had a right to even have an opinion on the teen's sexual orientation?

Even the lowliest junkie thinks they're better than a gay person. Society is beyond fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 3:59 PM

If he didn't want his black gay son to be gay, why did dad name him "Giovanni?"

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 4:07 PM

If he didn't want his black gay son to be gay, why did dad name him "Giovanni?"

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 4:07 PM

This reminds me of the irrational hatred for trans people. Over 20 have been murdered this year just for existing.

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 4:13 PM

[quote]Society is beyond fucked up.

^American

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 4:22 PM

Very sad situation. I was working at a car dealership a few years back and we gave out balloons to kids. A black couple was in looking at cars. I got two helium balloons for their children a boy about 5 and little girl about 2, 3. I gave the little girl a pink one and the boy a dark blue one. The boy looked sad and said, "I want the pretty one." I said, "no problem, let me go get another." The father said, "Don't bother", then he slapped the boy and said, " I told you to stop that shit !" Apparently the boy had been doing or showing signs that the father took as being effeminate or gay. I kept my mouth shut but told myself I'd say something if the father hit the child again. This is not a black issue. This happens in all cultures but I do agree that I've noticed it more in this country in black culture.

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 4:27 PM

RIP, Giovanni.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 4:33 PM

Hope the guy fries.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 4:34 PM

He’ll be taking more cock in that jail than his son ever could.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 4:35 PM

R7 omg 20 people in 11 months? That's practically genocide.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2019 4:38 PM

This is why I detest the "just be yourself" advice to kids. Noooo. It's not going to kill you to pick up a sport, hang with boys and watch your intonation. You can throw on the glitter AFTER you are safely under your own roof.

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2019 4:44 PM

Why are we discussing this? The dead kid wasn’t white. No great loss.

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2019 4:47 PM

Did you see the comments attached to that article? Some woman named "Darlene Thomas" had these pithy observations:

[quote Being able to so call love another male isn't a 🎁.it's satanic.but my ❤ do go out to them both...the trying to play God...and the th boy didn't have any value in his shot life...now comes judgement for the 15yr..if he didn't know Jesus as his personal savior.judgement will be next..]

So supportive of the boy and her family...I'm not 100% sure that Darlene's "❤ do go out to them both." Both? WTF? To the killer/murderer/slaughterer/bigot/criminal, too?

by Anonymousreply 16November 13, 2019 4:47 PM

Ethnic minorities are under constant pressure to be "perfect" in the eyes of America.

Having a gay child makes some feel ashamed solely because the parents fear being judged

by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2019 4:49 PM

It’s well known that there’s a proportionately larger percentage of gay boys in the black race as opposed to the race. It’s mainly because of one-parent households, poverty, dysfunction, and drugs. These situations produce more gay children.

by Anonymousreply 18November 13, 2019 4:52 PM

R18 haha wtf?

by Anonymousreply 19November 13, 2019 4:54 PM

R17

What you're saying is that it's the fault of white America ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2019 4:56 PM

[QUOTE] This happens in all cultures but I do agree that I've noticed it more in this country in black culture.

Could it be that you notice it more because you’re white and therefore everything bad that a black person does creates a lasting impression in your memory, confirming the biases you already harbor, while you inherently overlook all the bad things that white people do?

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2019 4:57 PM

R21 Yep.

by Anonymousreply 22November 13, 2019 5:03 PM

It is more acceptable to be homophobic in the black mainstream, though - I can't think of white counterparts on the same success level as Kevin Hart, Tracy Morgan etc. I'm sure there are white comedians just as homophobic but they keep it on the low.

by Anonymousreply 23November 13, 2019 5:07 PM

Kevin Hart and Tracey Morgan both said that stuff almost ten years ago. These aren't quotes from 2017 for fucks sakes. So basically around the same time that James Gunn was happily tweeting away. Or Adam Corolla was doing his stand up and his podcasts. Neither of whom have been taken to be representative of the entire white race by the way.

by Anonymousreply 24November 13, 2019 5:29 PM

What about me, following in the tradition of pigs Andrew Dice Clay and Sam Kinison?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2019 5:30 PM

No one said that Hart or Morgan are THE black men. But they were already very successful while making those "jokes." Are any of the white men you're posting of comparable mainstream fame? Morgan was on a well known sitcom. Hart was already a movie star, was he not? No one is saying that homophobia is exclusive to the black community, just that it's more acceptable to make homophobic comments.

by Anonymousreply 26November 13, 2019 5:33 PM

Homophobia is acceptable everywhere. The Republican Party exists for a reason, and its ranks aren’t filled with black people. ImHeterosexual white men DO NOT want their sons to be gay, nor het men of any other race. They want them to grow up just like they did playing sports and pounding pussy and beers, then producing grandchildren that will carry on the family name. But white gay men have a tendency to somehow forget this, even when they themselves suffered scorn and/or abuse at the hands of a white father or stepfather or older brother when he caught them wearing mommy’s high heels. That wasn’t the product of a problem with the “white community,” but it sure is whenever a black person does anything wrong.

by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2019 6:06 PM

You seem to be missing the point. Kevin Hart and Tracy Morgan are big entertainment figures. They felt comfortable making those jokes. I can't think of a white entertainment figure at the same level during the same era in Hollywood making similar comments. No one thinks homophobia isn't found among white people.

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2019 6:11 PM

Are Kirk Cameron, Mel Gibson and Blake Shelton big enough for you?

by Anonymousreply 29November 13, 2019 6:24 PM

R21

I'm certain that is why.

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2019 6:32 PM

I really don't see why this has to be a black/white issue. It is an incredibly sad story all around.

Homophobia exists everywhere. The only thing people accomplish by making comments about the victim's and father's race is further alienating gay black boys, and making in even more challenging for them to find acceptance in society.

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2019 6:32 PM

R27

It's most all men culturally want their sons to grow up into Type A+ hyper macho men. Name a culture that predominantly wants their sons to become gay.

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2019 6:34 PM

R21

Keep telling yourself that as you read about the penalties for homosexuality in the African countries listed below you blowhard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2019 6:36 PM

R14 That is a reality. Doesn't matter if it doesn't sound p.c. or if people expect young gay kids to "courageously" come out of the closet.

If it's not safe to come out, don't come out.

It is brave for anyone, child or adult, to be honest about their sexuality. But, if it's not safe to come out, don't come out.

by Anonymousreply 34November 13, 2019 6:39 PM

Stuff like this makes me so angry when people on the DL and elsewhere try to pretend like the black community isn’t MASSIVELY and uniquely homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2019 6:41 PM

R15 's comment. Wow. And someone gave a "ww", or a like, to their comment.

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 36November 13, 2019 6:42 PM

[QUOTE] Keep telling yourself that as you read about the penalties for homosexuality in the African countries listed below you blowhard.

😂 So not only are black people in America responsible for every bad thing that other individual black people do; they’re now somehow responsible for the laws of governments of African nations when their bloodline is 160 years removed from the continent.

by Anonymousreply 37November 13, 2019 6:44 PM

R31 Really? You really don’t see how it’s a black/white issue?

When’s the last time you read about a white kid murdered by his father for being gay, especially in recent year?

Exactly. That’s why it’s a black/white issue. The black community has a universal hatred of gay people that so many refuse to acknowledge, which is why stuff like this will keep happening and why straight black men will continually be allowed to gay bash without consequence.

by Anonymousreply 38November 13, 2019 6:45 PM

R35

Several reasons why the black populace has yet to advance is:

1) their love to denial

2) their lack of responsibility of their own lives and actions

3) the lie that they have to worry about everything they do being ok with white people when the real problem is that they worry about each action being ok with the rest of their community

by Anonymousreply 39November 13, 2019 6:49 PM

And yet people will continue to pretend like the black community doesn’t have a problem with gays and that it’s all an elaborate lie made up by white people to slander POC. Sunrise, sunset. We’ve seen this for years, and we’ll continue to see it, and the problem will never be fixed because people refuse to acknowledge that it’s a problem.

by Anonymousreply 40November 13, 2019 6:50 PM

Is that how you chose to interpret R33 's comment R37? All blacks are responsible? Um. okay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 13, 2019 6:50 PM

[QUOTE] All blacks are responsible? Um. okay.

What else could he be trying to say, R41?

by Anonymousreply 42November 13, 2019 6:53 PM

[Quote] Name a culture that predominantly wants their sons to become gay.

Ball Culture.

by Anonymousreply 43November 13, 2019 6:57 PM

R21 "Inherently overlook all the bad things that white people do"?

Whites simply overlook all the bad things that...other...whites...do...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 13, 2019 6:57 PM

R15 Self-loathing DL-er of European descent.

by Anonymousreply 45November 13, 2019 6:58 PM

Shouldn't be a mystery as to why so many black gay boys trans themselves too.

"I'm not a gay man, I'm a TRANS WOMAN (of color)!"

by Anonymousreply 46November 13, 2019 7:00 PM

[Quote] Are Kirk Cameron, Mel Gibson and Blake Shelton big enough for you?

Kirk Cameron is a hasbeen (and he was ten years ago as well). Drunkerson Mel Gibson tweeted out his sugar tits, pussy from behind, jews etc. comments? What did Blake Shelton say?

by Anonymousreply 47November 13, 2019 7:02 PM

We need to start sterilizing religious people.

by Anonymousreply 48November 13, 2019 7:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!