Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Friends" reunion might happen

Friends fans have finally gotten their way. For years the cast and creators have heard cries for a reunion—and over and over again, they’ve said it’s a moo point. But it appears that for once, a constant barrage of begging has worked—because according to a new report, HBO Max and Warner Bros. Television are in talks with the cast and original creators for a reunion special.

Before we go further we must caution: According to the Hollywood Reporter, negotiations are still in the early stages, so the special is far from a done deal. That said, all six original stars—Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, David Schwimmer, Matthew Perry, and Matt LeBlanc—as well as creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane, are at the table. Should a deal materialize, the next step would be to find a way to work around everyone’s schedules, THR notes.

Sources tell THR that Bob Greenblatt, former NBC Entertainment chairman and now WarnerMedia Entertainment and direct-to-consumer chairman, is the one leading the charge to bring a reunion to HBO Max as a complement to the upcoming streaming platform’s debut and Friends’ move to the service from Netflix.

Yes, both the Friends cast and creators have spent years shooting down the idea of a reunion, but we did have some indication that something was coming. In October, Aniston made her first-ever post on Instagram a reunion photo of the cast—and later that month she told Ellen DeGeneres that the cast was “working on something.” Representatives for Warner Bros. Television and HBO Max declined to comment when reached by THR, and did not immediately respond to V.F.’s requests for comment.

It’s hard to overstate how resistant the Friends cast and creators have been in the past to the idea of a reunion. Kauffman in particular has repeatedly emphasized that Friends as a concept had a certain finite lifespan. As she put it in 2016, “Friends was a show about that time in your life when your friends are your family, and in a weird way, this isn’t that different. Once you start having family of your own, it changes, and the show was over. A show has a lifespan, I believe.” Most of the cast did stage a reunion of sorts that year as NBC honored James Burrows—joining the casts of other shows the lauded director had helmed over the years to share stories in a panel—but that didn’t stop the clamoring, especially since Perry was absent from the gathering. Maybe this special, should it materialize, will be enough to satisfy the hunger once and for all. Or, given that we live in the I.P. era, it will be just the beginning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 14, 2019 9:28 PM

This will end in tears

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 3:11 PM

As long as the storyline isn't about them having been estranged for years and are suddenly reunited through some random event.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 3:38 PM

None of them can possibly need the money, and I question if Matthew Perry could physically do it.

Have to go with R1.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 3:41 PM

What would this possibly look like? Matthew Perry a divorced Scottsdale developer with a drinking problem?

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 4:14 PM

If this doesn't get you bitches to sign up for HBOMax, nothing will

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 4:18 PM

“everyone’s schedules”?!?!?

Looks as if only Jen is busy.

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 4:21 PM

[quote]“everyone’s schedules”?!?!? Looks as if only Jen is busy.

Rehab and recovery from plastic surgery for it to "settle" takes time that has to be factored in.

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 4:37 PM

[quote] For years the cast and creators have heard cries for a reunion—and over and over again, they’ve said it’s a moo point.

That's not a very nice way to talk about Matthew Perry.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 4:48 PM

Good point, r7.

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 4:49 PM

Fuhgeddaboudit, their time is long gone.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 4:55 PM

Their Thanksgiving episodes were usually pretty funny - I wouldn't mind a Thanksgiving reunion. Of course, it is too late for that this year.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 4:57 PM

There's no way any insurance company is going to allow Matthew Perry within 10 miles of any film set.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 4:57 PM

[quote]This will end in tears

You can still do that after Botox?

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2019 5:17 PM

Who will they cast as Monica's original face, turned 50?

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2019 5:18 PM

I take that back. A good writer will just explain it as she fell off the diet wagon and when she went in for lipo, confusion, hilarity and a definite tightening ensued.

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2019 5:19 PM

OH.MY.GOD!

Is Maggie Wheeler aka "Janice" on board?

by Anonymousreply 16November 13, 2019 5:21 PM

[quote]For years the cast and creators have heard cries for a reunion—and over and over again, they’ve said it’s a moo point.

Moooo!

by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2019 5:30 PM

[quote]Is Maggie Wheeler aka "Janice" on board?

Can you imagine how hilarious it could be if Monica and Chandler divorced because he had an affair with Janice.

by Anonymousreply 18November 13, 2019 7:16 PM

Inside scoop: Producers and other 5 cast think MP won’t be around in 5 yrs and want to have an emotional reunion, aka cash in, before he kicks the bucket.

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2019 7:04 AM

The plot: All six friends reunite to stage an intervention for Chandler

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2019 7:25 AM

[quote]Moooo!

I hope you know that is from Joey telling everyone that something is a "moo point".

by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2019 8:58 AM

Will it open with Chandler’s funeral?

by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2019 9:48 AM

Other than Perry they’re all still working, though none has become a superstar. This would be a successful project unlike the Mad About You reboot that wounde up on a streaming service no one has ever heard of called Spectrum something or other.

by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2019 11:41 AM

Monica and Chandler raising their ugly offspring in the 'burbs, and Ross and Javier raising their Chinese baby in Monica's old apartment, which has since been made over into an homage to cement. That's right. Ross is gay, now.

by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2019 11:46 AM

[quote]There's no way any insurance company is going to allow Matthew Perry within 10 miles of any film set.

r12- That's an odd thing to say. Why? So many posts on this thread have been crazy predictions about Matthew Perry and claims about him regarding health. What's up with that? Can a Friends fanatic please fill me in on why so much buzz about the state of Matthew Perry? Did he commit a crime or something?!

by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2019 11:52 AM

R25 He's a drug addict with a colostomy bag.

by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2019 11:54 AM

Thanks, r26. Wow, that's very sad. And so unexpected for someone who had such great fortune of being in one of the most successful shows of all time to go down that route. :-(

by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2019 12:01 PM

R25/R27: take a good look at the pic @R20. Do you honestly think that's a pic of a human being in good physical/mental/emotional health?

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2019 12:45 PM

[Quote] Inside scoop: Producers and other 5 cast think MP won’t be around in 5 yrs and want to have an emotional reunion, aka cash in, before he kicks the bucket.

Well ain't that some dark shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2019 1:11 PM

Based on R20, it should open with Chandler's opening in Beetlejuice, the Musical.

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2019 1:24 PM

I hated that show but watched it in reruns. Seindfeld it wasn't. It played to the middle Americans who refused to watch a show about NYC Jews.

I know, I know, Monica and Ross were Jewish but it was downplayed.

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2019 2:22 PM

Funny, that they are considering this, considering the deal they made with Netflix for $70 million.

by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2019 2:58 PM

Perry looks like he has one foot in the grave, so if they're going to do this they'd better hurry up.

by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2019 3:21 PM

Seinfeld was unlikable and unwatchable. Never made me laugh, though this could be a generation thing. And wasn't the Jewishness of the protagonists even more hidden than in Friends?

And, r31, Rachel was Jewish, too.

by Anonymousreply 34November 14, 2019 4:09 PM

R 34 I loved Seinfeld, so go figure. ... I forgot Rachel was Jewish, too. I think if they threw Courtney Cox to the curb, the show would have been much better...she was awful.

by Anonymousreply 35November 14, 2019 9:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!