Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Venice - Arrivederci, Felicia

Just let it die already!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2019 3:43 PM

Venice' experiencing worst flooding in 50 years. Pictures at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 5:28 PM

I'm going on tour there in January, yikes!

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 5:55 PM

Italians are so lazy and incompetent. The Dutch would have fixed this 50 years ago before it became a problem. Idiots living off the fat of tourism.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 5:56 PM

Venice...one of the world’s greatest cities. Climate change is slowing—or rapidly—destroying everything.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 5:58 PM

Such a beautiful and unique city, I'm not sure I can fathom anyone revelling in its destruction or demise.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 6:09 PM

Does Venice smell when it's not flooded? Is it like New Orleans that has a musty moldy funky smell everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 6:11 PM

Exactly R6. It’s why I never understood the love for New Orleans. Some nice architecture and food - but the city smells. Dirty, skanky city.

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 6:37 PM

No, Venice does not smell.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 7:41 PM

Venice is the most gloriously fading city in the world. If you ever want the best possible photo of yourself, have one taken in Venice about an hour or so before sunset. It is tragic what is happening now but part of its allure is the knowledge that it is slowly slipping away. Drop everything and visit.

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 11:27 PM

Yes it does smell.

I advise visiting over winter when it smells the least.

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2019 2:44 AM

A bit dramatic you queens, aren't you? Venice has been flooding for centuries and will be here long after your great, great, great-grandchildren croak from global warming.

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2019 4:21 AM

[quote]Climate change is slowing—or rapidly—destroying everything.

Mega mondo cruise ships and 26 MILLION tourists a year trudging its streets and bridges will destroy Venice far faster than "climate change".

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2019 4:28 AM

I bought a painting from a 70s Venitian artist off eBay years ago (I believe it was hanging in a water-soaked pallazo). I'm saving as much of it as I can, but I'm just one man!

by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2019 4:28 AM

R12 tourists will also be killed by climate change

by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2019 4:29 AM

The islands the city is built on are subsiding.

by Anonymousreply 15November 14, 2019 4:30 AM

What is wrong with you? this happens every fucking year and every year some news article says it's worse than 50 years or so. I've been there and saw the damage caused 60-80 years ago and this is nothing in comparison. So get over yourselves with clickbait news titles.

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2019 4:32 AM

Exactly R11

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2019 4:33 AM

MAKE VENICE YOUR WINTER VACATION WONDERLAND!

WE ARE CURRENTLY OFFERING EXTRA CANALS!

by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2019 7:43 AM

I went in winter several years ago. It was fabulous weather. Sunny and not too cold.

The city does take your breath away.

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2019 8:40 AM

OP's photo looks like it was from the Titanic movie, when the ship was sinking.

by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2019 10:21 AM

When will it be ready to visit? I wanted to go in December but I'll take in Milan, Turin and Verona instead.

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2019 7:37 AM

R15 does not know the meaning of "subsiding".

by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2019 10:23 AM

[quote]It is tragic what is happening now but part of its allure is the knowledge that it is slowly slipping away. Drop everything and visit.

...and become part of the problem in the process!

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2019 10:23 AM

[quote]will be here long after your great, great, great-grandchildren croak from global warming

Joke's on you, bitch, I don't have any family!

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2019 10:31 AM

BBC's site shows this wasn't the worst flooding, that happened back in 1966.

by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2019 11:23 AM

[quote] BBC's site shows this wasn't the worst flooding, that happened back in 1966.

Oh God yes. I remember those nine inches too.

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2019 11:42 AM

1) so if your going there WINTER is the best time to go? less crowded, best weather, cheaper prices?

2) how long should one plan to stay there to get the FULL experience? a week? 2 weeks?....

3) budget for such a trip should be around? course i'm thinking if your going to venice, YOU JUST HAVE TO DO the entire Italy experience, rome, milan, florence, tuscany, etcetera.... all of this you would have to be there in italy for like a month!

by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2019 12:12 PM

Mandonna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2019 12:56 PM

OP, why don't you die already? You'll be missed less than Venice will be.

As for the idiot at R16, this isn't just the usual flooding, it's a catastrophe and it will destroy the city if this continues to happen n this scale.

The biggest fucking moron is R3, who doesn't have a clue that Venice (particularly St. Mark's) is situated on a particularly low plateau level, which makes this happen. It isn't the fault of the Italians, you dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2019 3:39 PM

R3=Donald Trump

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2019 3:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!