Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movies You Used To Love, But Never Want To See Again or Vice A Versa.

This thread was recommended by a poster on my other thread. So, I thought I would start the thread for him.

I can’t wait to hear the movies.

I initially watched, ‘O Brother Where Art Thou’ and hated it, but watched it again and thought it was funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2019 7:29 PM

Purple Rain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 4:07 AM

I used to love Bell, Book and Candle but Jimmy Stewart's canned, hammy performance stinks it up so badly that I could no longer endure it.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 6:05 AM

I think I exhausted myself on the Harry Potters. Which ever ones had been released on video I would watch them during Christmas/New Years season (I usually get two weeks off). Think I finally spoiled them for myself.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 3:08 PM

I hated Clerks when it came out because I hated the artificial "intelligent" dialogue of minimum wage workers, especially the women, oh they're so elevated, so in touch with reality, Kevin Smith stuff but I watched it again last night & have to admit it's pretty damn funny anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 3:17 PM

Halloween. I saw it as a kid on TV and would watch it every time it came on. I still love it, but I know every line, music cue, and actor inflection by heart. It's hard to watch it now. I sort of wish I could go back in a time machine and see it again for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2019 1:32 AM

I loved Gremlins when I was a kid but don't think I would watch it again now.

On the other hand, "Blue Velvet", which I saw as a kid and found utterly repulsive, I have come to admire.

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2019 1:49 AM

Many of my most loved and hated films seem to be Coen Brothers productions. When the brothers are good they're great, and when they're bad, open a window.

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2019 2:08 AM

Airplane. As a kid I thought it was hilarious. As an adult it is cringeworthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2019 2:19 AM

I never watch movies multiple times and find it strange this is a commonplace thing. The definition of crazy is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2019 2:45 AM

I watch movies multiple times for the same reason that I listen to music multiple times, look at paintings multiple times and read books multiple times. To enjoy the original effect, look for new details and see how the experience changes with time.

Or perhaps you heard Mozart's Requiem once and thought "Okay, I'm good!"

by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2019 3:31 AM

My gay card might be pulled, but I can't watch The Wizard of Oz again. The last time I watched it I did so because a couple of friends of mine, a Russian and a Hungarian (both gay) hadn't seen it.

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2019 3:38 AM

FIGHT CLUB. I've only seen it once and liked it quite a bit, but for some reason I have absolutely NO desire to ever see it again and I'm not sure why. I actually turn the channel if I happen upon it by accident.

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2019 4:05 AM

I’m with you, R11. I used to loooooove both The Wizard of Oz as well as The Sound of Music. Both were really special to me growing up. I just can’t stand them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2019 4:16 AM

What ruined The Wizard of Oz for me was at the end when Dorothy said she would miss the Scarecrow most of all. That just seemed asymmetrical not to mention insensitive. Was the message that people with no brains were better than people with no hearts or courage? Since I related to the lion I was pissed.

by Anonymousreply 14November 16, 2019 6:05 AM

R9 may be one of the dumbest posts ever made on DL. It's quite the accomplishment.

by Anonymousreply 15November 16, 2019 6:20 AM

I can watch The Wizard of Oz anytime. It's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 16November 16, 2019 6:20 AM

West Side Story

by Anonymousreply 17November 16, 2019 6:27 AM

"Titanic" and "Avatar" - enthusiastic first wieving with no interest to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 18November 16, 2019 6:31 AM

Xanadu, I loved it mostly for the music but Michael Beck's weirdly angry performance ruins it like Xanadu ruined his career.

by Anonymousreply 19November 16, 2019 7:49 AM

[r15] and friends:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 16, 2019 3:48 PM

O Brother Where Art Thou is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2019 4:24 PM

I like rewatching some of my favorite movies with friends who haven't seen them. It's kind of like seeing them again with fresh eyes. I'll usually rewatch movies when friends are present, but there are maybe 10 that I'll rewatch by myself constantly when I'm feeling blue or need a happy tinge of nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2019 6:13 PM

OP, you took me back 25 years. Or more.

As an overly serious Cinema Studies disciple, I would see every new film from the Coen Brothers in theatres, trying very hard to enjoy myself, inevitably not laughing (their films being so strenuously"clever" but rarely actually "funny") , noting every directorial quote of other, earlier better films from prestigious filmmakers, waiting... always leaving somewhat disappointed....

Until one day I realized: I fucking hate the Coen Brothers. (As Pauline Kael once described them, "those arty nuisances." She had their number pretty early on.) And I never need to another one of their films.

And I never did.

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2019 7:01 PM

".... never need to SEE another one of their films."

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2019 7:02 PM

The Deer Hunter. Just too intense.

by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2019 7:09 PM

O Brother, Miller's Crossing, and True Grit grew on me, as have other Coen Bros movies. I've watched them dozens of times now. True Grit had me blubbering again at the end only a week ago.

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2019 7:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!