Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What if I were homeless?

Gradually, I became sick tonight. After lots of denial and eating Tums, I puked and also had the runs. I felt feverish and also painfully cold. After puking, I felt ok and now and I'm snuggled in my warm bed. My pillows cradle my neck just so and I'm starting to crave a snack.

During my ordeal, I was upset thinking of the homeless. It's bad enough to be homeless, but how awful for them when they get sick. I puked into a bucket and shit in my clean private toilet and I had an immediate change of clean clothes. Not only do I have a bed, but it's warm and I have OTC meds and ginger ale. And I'm safe and I can catnap until I feel 100% again.

But I'm not going to invite a homeless person into my house and that bothers me. Can't we have voluntary warehousing again or something like dormitories where there's supervision and social workers?

What policies in which cities have been successful? I feel homelessness is simply unchristian (and yes, maybe I'm a hypocrite for not inviting them inside). I really want to help. It's wrong.

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2019 5:39 AM

Agree with you. Have felt the same thing. I don’t think most homeless want services. That’s a problem since it’s no longer against the law to sleep, etc on the street. Look at San Fran. Government and their feel good policies are destroying our cities and sanctioning the homeless to continued life on the streets. It’s not a housing problem.

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 2:45 AM

Maybe it's time to be coercive in a compassionate way. But Republicans and Democrats will never work together for a solution.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 2:50 AM

[quote]Can't we have voluntary warehousing again or something like dormitories where there's supervision and social workers?

In no way do I think of myself as far left, but people need free health care, access to a meal, a place to seep.

There's got to be a way.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 2:57 AM

That’s the truest thing I’ve heard in a while. It really IS unchristian Op.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 2:58 AM

OP here and sometimes I vote Independent. Public education is a state right and I think you're more entitled to a roof over your head than you are to a free public education. I'm talking a bare bones dorm room or $500 housing voucher.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 3:01 AM

I see some scary looking homeless (obviously tweaking on drugs, smoking, covered in tattoos,ect) and I think, "get away!" but then I see some that break my heart. I want to help but I don't want them in my home and I don't want to get sucked into their unbalanced drama. I do hope we can find a solution.

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 3:05 AM

I’ve never been powerful, but I have automated at least a half dozen. jobs out of existence.

It’s possible that I created around eight homeless people when I think about it.

Then, think of the people I’ve gotten fired. I don’t know of any- but still.

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 3:33 AM

I was talking to an acquaintance recently (who runs a small shop-cum-charity cultural organisation that gets a lot of footfall from passing tourists) who sometimes befriends the local homeless people who come into his shop. At least 2 or 3 men he knew have died of exposure. Winter is here and this month is very, very cold where I live.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 3:38 AM

Your post is self indulgent and gross OP. Of course you are living out a miss warwick fantasy of cruelty and watery shit. It is you, right? Have another Tums or lil snack.

For human people. Inviting a homeless person into your house is not a solution to any problem, but it can be a temporary solution to their problem. I've done it, more than once. My partner wasn't pleased the third time. The first guy stayed for almost 6 months and really got a lot of things together. The others were shorter stays while we arranged other accommodations. My mother is a therapist and much as she doesn't want anyone to know, she has taken in people too. Or paid their rent or bought them a transport pass or flat out gave them money. Think about it. So much of charity is unseen, who and where it goes. Give a person a warm place, some food and access to a bath and services and it can change their immediate future. Don't expect it to change their whole life. People who only want to rob you or want cash for liquor and drugs are not going to spend the time it takes to go to McDonalds with you. I'm not saying that taking the homeless into you house is a good idea. It's a christian thing to do. As in a good thing that is above what's expected. The OP is being disingenuous so that he and others can make fun of homeless people. They're not funny really. But many on Datalounge think cruel turning away is amusing. In general the gay men on DL prefer the description of the experience to the life itself. So many sad and lifelong scared old men come here.

Covenant House is a great organization. In most cities. Give your time. They don't allow you to offer your home to people. But they do excellent work.

Many homeless people prefer the streets. I can't give them all money. But you can look them in the eye and say, Sorry I can't. The ones who curse your ass will brighten your day.

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 3:54 AM

R9, OP read like Dame Peggington Noonington most renowned for her speeches sounded out by Ronald Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 4:13 AM

Do you fear being homeless OP? Can you volunteer at a homeless shelter? If you do not want to volunteer and work directly with homeless people there are always other options.

I donate used clothing and food to homeless shelters.

R9, There are people who actually are homeless; but in many large cities and even small towns there are people who are not homeless at all, but they just pretend to be to get money.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 4:54 AM

Read my post again and tell me how you understand this issue better than I do R11.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 5:17 AM

we Can house the homeless. It’s simple the government and and wealthy developers don’t want to. It’s also important to note that the average homeless person isn’t a guy sleeping on the street, it’s working single mother with a child. In nyc children are the ones who are most likely to be homeless and spend their nights in a crowded shelter

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2019 5:26 AM

^ Yes we can house the homeless. And we can feed the hungry and educate the poor. It makes me Mad that working women and their children are in a shelter. Those chronically street living homeless pose a completely different problem. They are given more attention if not resources. Charity comes more easily to the hopeless. This land seldom builds up those who need a SAFE way up and out. What can we do R13? My question is sincere. I enjoy many or your posts Bodega-Cat.

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2019 5:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!