Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL Catnip: Can we talk about womanspreading?

As someone who has never been accused of manspreading — the act of sitting down with one’s legs parted to each side, consuming available space — I have nonetheless witnessed diatribe upon diatribe about how evil men are for engaging in this practice.

The habit is, without a doubt, real. But I have found that for every time a group is charged with some behavioral violation, the group leveling the charge has their own version of this.

Seems obvious. Humans and all. And yet, suggest as much and the chopping block will be polished for the lopping off of your head.

To which I say: Eh, that’s fine. Still not going to make me blind. Or pluck out my tongue.

It’s jacket season, which means that there’s a sterling chance when I go into the Starbucks, I won’t be able to find a seat, because women have provided their coats and bags with seats of their own. Like they’re buddies, out for a chai latte together.

This is another way to eat the space, but one that does not involve the sprawl of body parts. Recently I asked a woman at my local café if anyone was seated in the chair atop which her jacket was draped. I had nowhere else to go.

“My coat is there,” she replied. “It’s big.”

It was prodigious. Looked very warm. Which is entirely besides the point.

People are a great deal bothered when the people they wish to castigate behave, in truth, as they themselves often behave.

We’re an assortment of sects right now. These things are cyclical, but the minor transgressions of a man are fodder for Twitter-based disemboweling, which is why we hear so much about the great scourge of manspreading.

On another day, in another time, it will be something else. A vogue is not a truth-laden reality, often. It’s a cherry-picked selection from a mosaic of evidential truths. Selecting but the one example and making it seem like the others don’t exist, is a form of untruth. One might even say it’s a mode of lying.

When I am on the subway, and there is an elderly person or a pregnant woman, have a guess who is unlikely to relinquish their seat? The answer is everyone.

A lot OF people could care less that they are sitting and that person is standing. Not a gender thing.

What happens if you take a photo of a guy not giving up his seat and Twitterize it? Glorious, glorious digital victory! What if you do the same thing with a woman? Bring out your dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 25, 2020 12:42 PM

(cont.)

There’s a new double bike lane outside of my Starbucks. Plenty of room on the sidewalk for runners. We read all the time about bikers being killed by cars. Guess where almost everyone runs now? Smack in the middle of the bike path, so that the bikers have to take to the road, where they might get served up. Men, women, as if everyone might as well be chanting, mine mine mine.

A cynic might say “we’re all pretty rotten” now, when it comes to basic respect and courtesy, though that’s a cynic I would term an observant non-dullard.

A man occupies the extra space, often, with his body, the woman with something she has upon or by her personage, though to be fair, I’ve seen women spread with the best of the manspreaders. They could have a spread-off.

These are annoyances. When we have bad days, they can become the vein throbbing in our forehead, drumming us closer to the edge.

But it’s more sad, than anything. That we don’t think of others first, and then that we wish to dole out our rancor without seemingly any cognizance that mirrors are real and you can look into them. it won’t kill you.

If you’re a woman, I bet there’s a good chance you’ll see one more chair in your possession than you ought to. And guys, you already know what you’ve been doing wrong. You’ve certainly been told enough.

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 2:35 AM

wtf kind of fuckery is this? the writer is nuts. NYDN no less.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 2:39 AM

I’ll go up to anybody and politely ask for the second seat. They always, always act like you’re asking for their own seat, but reluctantly comply.

Some day, I’ll get punched out, I know.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 2:41 AM

Let's not and just say we did.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 2:58 AM

Bitch! Move yo shit or I will rape you!

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 4:08 AM

He's right.

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 1:23 PM

I will gouge your fucking inconsiderate eyes out if you show one pissy hair on your ass after I rightfully ask you to give up an empty seat that has your goddamn coat on it.

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 1:38 PM

Just sit on the coat.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 1:42 PM

Also, gigantic asses that spill over into the next seat.

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 3:39 PM

Just throw the coat on the floor and take the seat.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 3:42 PM

You can tell R7 is a real tough guy because he boasts about online.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 3:44 PM

Coats, purses, jackets, luggage don't get an extra seat. Passengers have every right to ask for the extra seat. Just like it's not ok to open your legs as wide as a truck stop so that the person next to you is pinned in or hog the armrest. MANNERS, people.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 3:45 PM

He is right R6, and good thing they don't allow comments because he would be ripped apart in them. I really do see this with purses. They don't want to put them on the table because they are in the way. They don't want to string them on the back of the chair because of a fear of theft.

It should be like an airplane - store it beneath by your feet.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2019 3:51 PM

This reminds me--this old back bitch all tressed up looked at me with scorn when I asked her to move her bag so I could sit on the seat next to her. "No, I won't--go away!" It was such an exaggerated attitude of scornful entitlement it was funny. And she was black. So I responded, "Well, aren't you a rude person." And she said, "Yes, I am!" What an old cunt.

The other thing that always happens--women's big fucking purses smacking someone when they go past. Fuck these cunts, too.

Sorry not fucking sorry.

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2019 3:53 PM

*old black bitch

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2019 3:54 PM

Women who go to the theater invariably buy a souvenir or come from shopping and keep the plastic bags on their laps, which they invariably crinkle several times during the show. Also, why can't women sit through an act without opening candy?

by Anonymousreply 16November 13, 2019 4:37 PM

Women are more prone to cross their legs into aisles on public transport and in other space-deficient places, making moving past them or standing nearby uncomfortable. The spikier the shoes, the more likelier they are to do it.

by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2019 4:45 PM

That was directed to you Mary @ R11, as we all know you always selfishly take up two seats.

by Anonymousreply 18November 13, 2019 5:13 PM

And your sentence structure and grammar is horrendous R11.

“ because he boasts about online.”

What are you trying to say to us sweetie?

r7 - who is otherwise a nice, decent guy. Except when trying to decipher what R11 trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 19November 13, 2019 5:23 PM

And your sentence structure and grammar are horrendous [R11].

r 7, who is otherwise a nice, decent guy. Except when trying to decipher what [R11] is trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2019 5:26 PM

And please work on your below unintelligible sentence, R11

[R7] - who is otherwise a nice, decent guy. Except when trying to decipher what [R11] is trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2019 5:34 PM

R19 is talking to herself again.

by Anonymousreply 22November 13, 2019 5:37 PM

Careful when claiming community rights at the theatre. Back in the day a woman would purchase an extra ticket/seat to accommodate her fur coat. That seemingly available seat might indeed be bought and paid for.

And that's Ms. Black Bitch, pencil dick at R14. I hope the lady's son happens upon your next encounter; have a little respect for the elderly. How would you like it if some stranger mistreated your mother or, better yet, you someday in the future? At the rate you're going you may not live to see your dotage. What goes around, comes around.

by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2019 1:53 AM

She was an old black bitch, twat @ R23. This bitch wasn't being mistreated; she was sitting like Cleopatra on the subway taking up two seats. Do fuck yourself with your hollow threats, Hunty; as for that "seemingly available seat" that "might indeed be bought and paid for," bullshit, and you know it. At any rate, the bitch on the subway didn't pay two fares to have her shriveled old ass and her bag take up two seats.

by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2019 2:27 AM

R14, WTF does the woman’s race have to do with anything? “And she was black.” OMG, someone call the slave ca — er, I mean the police, there’s a black woman loose and she’s being rude AND black! At the SAME TIME!

by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2019 3:46 PM

A nasty Russian frau on an M1 Bus going down Madison Avenue during the rush hour hogged an entire seat, sitting on the aisle side and not letting anybody in to sit down. She spent the entire time just staring at her phone and looking as if when somebody asked her if they could sit that she would bite their balls off. No man would get away with that, certainly not SJW infested Manhattan!

by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2019 3:53 PM

womanspreading... seems fishy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2019 4:06 PM

I see this, especially in airports and bars. My partner and I went to dinner a couple months ago. The restaurant was busy and we were told probably up to an hour's wait for a table. We went to the bar to wait for a table and these two young women were sitting at the bar next to each other, and on either side of them coats, purses, shopping bags, etc., were piled on those seats. All other bar seats were full. I watched for a bit in case they were saving seat for friends who had done to the restroom or something.

After about 10 minutes, I went over and asked if they wouldn't mind moving their coats and purses to free up a couple chairs. Snotty bitches refused. I went to the host and told her about what these two were doing. She walked right over, told them she'd be happy to take their coats or store their purses and bags behind the bar, and also asked them to shift down so my partner and I could sit next to each other. These haughty bitches started arguing with the host that they needed the space for their things and they weren't moving anywhere. They just embarrassed themselves. Some people at the bar started arguing with them and told them that they were being insufferably rude. They finally grabbed their shit and stormed out. Oh well, we got our seats and two other people waiting also got to sit down. Most of us at the bar bonded over these two rude bitches.

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2019 8:04 PM

I used to complain, but who wants to sit next to a bitch who hogs a seat with her stuff?

by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2019 8:24 PM

R25, there was an air of entitlement in her attitude--being old and black and a woman that someone who's none of those things would even try to pull off (usually--though R28 says that air of entitlement is pretty extensive). I certainly wouldn't attempt that kind of arrogance. At any rate, a person--any person, male or female, white or black, younger or older--deserves that seat more than her bag. Follow?

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2019 9:05 PM

I do notice this quite frequently on a commuter train I frequently ride into the suburbs, and into a resort town in a neighbouring state. Despite announcement of the conductor, that seats are limited, etc, and to please utilise the luggage racks for parcels and bags, several women sometimes even take up the double facing seats at the head of each car (meant for families, or large groups travelling together) with their spoils of their shopping trips. I have noticed several refuse to accommodate people, despite polite pleas.

Sometimes a conductor asks them if they need "help" placing their items on the racks above. If they aren't in the car collecting fares or tickets, many just stand rather than ask these selfish women to abide by the rules. It's most noticeable Fridays, or after the weekend, when it seems these ladies (and I'm using the term loosely) prefer to do their city shopping. I never see men with all these shopping bags hogging the seats.

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2019 9:56 PM

I ask once, then move their shit myself. No one has ever said anything back to me cause I look crazy anyway. So far they usually get up and move, some stay.

by Anonymousreply 32November 15, 2019 12:35 AM

Datalounge, your hatred of women is killing us. Stop the hateful misangy.

by Anonymousreply 33November 15, 2019 1:39 AM

Are you joking, R33? I assume you're taking the piss, because complaining about rude, thoughtless and arrogantly selfish people who happen to be women is not hateful misogyny. Nor is anything on Datalounge killing women.

by Anonymousreply 34November 15, 2019 2:34 AM

Hey, R33:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 15, 2019 2:58 AM

Women absolutely do this, often.

Also, men have three very good reasons why they need to spread their legs sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 36November 15, 2019 5:52 AM

Xpreading

by Anonymousreply 37November 15, 2019 6:41 AM

Women walking past, slamming people with their huge handbags and being so fucking self-absorbed that they never even realized Thu were doing this got on my nerves. I stopped stepping aside to let them pass through on crowded city streets. The cunts would always assume that I was going to and they'd keep walking. I'd keep walking too and notice their shocked reactions at the body slam that ensued.

by Anonymousreply 38November 15, 2019 7:22 AM

R29: I used to complain, but who wants to sit next to a bitch who hogs a seat with her stuff?

Yes, it’s a pyrrhic victory.

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2019 3:19 PM

I was on the subway, we call it the “T’, as this old queen gets on. I’m in a window seat and it’s not easy for me to get up and out, past the person in the isle seat. It would have been more disruptive to give up my seat than not to, I thought. I’m reading the paper. Some women gets on, perfectly fit as far as I could tell, and this old queen (OQ) asks me, “excuse me, excuse me, but if the Queen Mother...got on the train...would you give up your seat for her?” He just wanted to talk to me, I think, since he could have asked anyone in an isle seat.

I could already see where this is going, so I replied, “The Queen Mother is dead.”

Old Queen: “Quite right. But if it was your mother?...”

Me: “don’t be silly, my mother isn’t the Queen mother.”

OQ: “Quite, but if it were your sister, or your daughter?”

...(It went on quite a bit, finally)...

Me: “Have you been drinking?....”

OQ: “Well, I did have a few glasses of sherry...”

Me: “...because you stink of liquor!” And I did get up and move to the front of the car. From there, I could hear him in the back yelling about the Queen Mother. He got off at the next stop.

I’m sympathetic to the stories above, but please don’t be this old queen.

by Anonymousreply 40November 25, 2019 3:37 PM

It’s [bold]A[/bold]isle.

by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2019 4:54 PM

Sometimes a gal need to air-out. Get over it fellas.

by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2019 5:13 PM

Then don't bitch about man spreading, then.

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2019 11:07 PM

R41, I type all that out, and THAT’S what you have to say???

by Anonymousreply 44November 26, 2019 1:49 AM

American women are inconsiderate, self-centered assholes.

by Anonymousreply 45February 10, 2020 2:00 AM

[quote]Me: “...because you stink of liquor!”

MARY Queen of Scots!

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2020 2:07 AM

Old thread, but I couldn't resist thanks to R33.

Is this the misangy you are talking about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 25, 2020 12:20 PM

Did we run out of 2015 threads?

by Anonymousreply 48September 25, 2020 12:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!