Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greatest Opening Scenes from Films?

What are the greatest opening scenes from movies? Scenes that got you interested right away, even if the rest of the film didn’t hold up.

For me, Boogie Nights has one of the best opening scenes, with “Best of my Love” playing and we are introduced to the characters in a long shot. Great scene!!!

What are others?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 11, 2019 3:31 PM

"Office Space."

I was howling with laughter before anyone even arrived at the office.

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 8:11 PM

The opening of Gone With the Wind, with Scarlett and the Tarleton twins on the porch on the eve of the Wilkes barbecue.

Vivien Leigh had to nail it then and she knew it, or no one would care about the rest of the film, and she did.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 8:12 PM

I'm also partial to the opening of Peter Weir's "Witness" where you see the wholesome waves of Amish country bending in the wind, and the community coming over the rise for the funeral of Rachel's husband. Maurice Jarre's beautiful score for this helped, too.

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 8:15 PM

Love "Boogie Nights", but that and every other long tracking shot owes everything to Orson Welles' "Touch of Evil" opening:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 8:19 PM

The opening tracking shot of Orson Welles's Touch Of Evil. Genius.

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 8:20 PM

I love the opening to Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame. It's one of my favorites. When Clopin hits that final note ("Daaaaaaaaaaaaame"), Quasimodo is finally revealed and the title graphic shows up. It gives me goose bumps every time. The video here cuts out the beginning of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 8:20 PM

Ha! You beat me to it, r4.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 8:20 PM

Bonnie & Clyde with Faye behind those prison-bar posts of the headboard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 8:21 PM

This is definitely not for everyone, but Melancholia takes the prize for me.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 8:21 PM

The "Melancholia" opening is beautiful and haunting. In the movie, Kirsten Dunst's character says that she "knows things", implying she knows for certain that the planet is doomed. Is the opening sequence a "vision" she's having, and thus the trigger for her wedding day depression?

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 8:28 PM

Opening scene of the original "Cape Fear" in black and white, with the camera following Robert Mithcum walking to the courthouse in Savannah, his shoulders radiating danger, and the baleful minor phrase from Bernard Hermann's score playing quietly.

Kidding aside, really, partial to the opening of Disney's 1039 "Snow White" - animation showing a layered aerial view of the fairy-tale city, spiralling down over turrets and rooftops one over the other, including doves circling around, till it gets down to the well where the princess in rags is drawing water.

Remember, it was all done by hand, cel after cel, not with the help of computer softward. It's a stunning achievement in hand-animation if you know anything about the art.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 8:29 PM

^*1939, of course . . .

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 8:29 PM

Audrey Hepburn walking up a deserted Fifth Avenue (I think) in the wee hours of the morning with Henry Mancini's wistful melody for "Moon River" playing. The opening scene of "Breakfast at Tiffany's".

It's all downhill from that point and much of the film is a ghastly, racist, sexist piece of garbage.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 8:30 PM

East of Eden. I love how there is no dialogue from James Dean, he is just silently stalking his mother.

I couldn’t find the scene by itself so this one with a side view of the locations the film was shot in modern day will do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 8:40 PM

R13 - I concur - another vote here for the opening scene of Breakfast at Tiffany's, as Hepburn gracefully manages the take-away coffee, get the pastry out of the bag, and eat it while gazing in the windows, all whilst looking like a runway model.

I think the piece was of its time, it's kind of useless taking it to task for stuff of that kind. The cast, score, direction, and cinematography made it work. I think it still works, and the last scene is touching.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 8:44 PM

"Snow White" was 1937.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 8:57 PM

The opening scene of Inglourious Basterds is the best work Tarantino has ever done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 9:03 PM

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 9:05 PM

The opening scene of “Saving Private Ryan” with its D-Day invasion scene was riveting.

There’s one fella that gets his arm shorn off. He then picks it up, as if they could reattach it. Gruesome.

Incidentally, the “Germans” who surrender in the D-Day bunker are actually speaking Czech. They were forced conscripts. These are the guys who the American mocks their surrender, raising his own hands and saying “Look, Ma, I washed for supper.” This is after he shoots them.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 9:24 PM

R16 - Snow White opened on February 4, 1938. So we were both wrong.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 9:44 PM

I just turned on Bambi from Disney+ and WOW the opening is gorgeous. I think the landscape backgrounds were done in watercolor and they actually look 3-D because of how they were filmed in layers. This animation really was art.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 9:53 PM

R21 - I went to an exhibition of the original cels when these first began to be circulated in public. You cannot believe the quality of the work, especially the ones from "Bambi" - they looked like fucking Monets.

The shit they do on the computer today can't hold a candle to it. Another fabled bit of Disney animation is the scene in Gepetto's clock shop early in "Pinocchio", when the clocks all go off differently, and Gepetto and the cat are dancing around the shop, and as Gepetto passed in front of the fireplace his nightgown becomes transparent and you can see the outlines of his legs. Someone I know in animation says no one today has any idea of the skill required to pull that off.

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 10:03 PM

R22 Yeah, the beauty of some old animation is really breathtaking. Organic creativity/handmade art may be less technically impressive than CGI, but sometimes it can really touch you.

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 10:07 PM

The scene at r17 has a big cut in the middle. Poor form.

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 10:11 PM

It’s not the very opening scene, but the beginning synesthesia part of Fantasia is pretty spectacular when you realizing that it is translating mental visions of music into actual visuals.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 10:11 PM

R9 agree its not for everyone and neither its this one. But for me its one of the best in all of film history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 10:11 PM

The opening tracking shot in "Goodfellas" through the back of the Copa, done without one edit.

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 10:12 PM

The opening scene of Howard’s Endwhen Vanessa Redgrave walks around the garden in the evening

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 10:23 PM

[quote]The opening tracking shot in "Goodfellas" through the back of the Copa, done without one edit.

That is not the opening shot.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 10:34 PM

Yes you are right-- I stand corrected. But I still think it's a great shot. I guess I think it's the opening because it was so good.

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2019 10:35 PM

The opening battle scene in Star Wars. Pow!

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2019 10:38 PM

A friend made me watch the opening to this movie Vertical Limit, all I had to know was Chris O’Donnell was in it for me to watch, but it is a great oh shit! Scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2019 10:38 PM

The opening scene of Altman's "The Player".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2019 10:44 PM

Woody Allen's MIDNIGHT IN PARIS.

MANHATTAN is perhaps more well known, but I like this one better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2019 10:52 PM

Here's MANHATTAN for comparison -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2019 10:56 PM

The Iraqi archaeological dig scene in The Exorcist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2019 11:00 PM

Alien -- appropriately simple and ominous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2019 11:12 PM

Gloomy work by Gregg Toland -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2019 11:15 PM

Opening scenes don't come much more iconic than this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 12, 2019 11:22 PM

Or this -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 12, 2019 11:23 PM

So many great ones here already, but, for pure pop film magic, I still love the opening scene, music and graphics of "Superman" 1978.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 12, 2019 11:28 PM

Saw this when I was a kid and was amazed. Still am

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 12, 2019 11:29 PM

Here’s the Melancholia opening. Maddeningly syrupy and melodramatic and inexplicable and perfect. The slow motion is so slow that it’s like you’re watching a painting and wondering if it’s moving or if you are losing your mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 12, 2019 11:31 PM

The opening of Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 12, 2019 11:32 PM

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. A complete exposition followed by a great song during the opening credits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 12, 2019 11:44 PM

Have always liked this -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 12, 2019 11:52 PM

Idiocracy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 13, 2019 12:01 AM

Ted 2 and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

by Anonymousreply 48November 13, 2019 12:24 AM

I remember including this one when this thread subject was done before. The opening of Ordinary People simply but perfectly sets the mood of the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 13, 2019 12:43 AM

Surely this must rank up there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 13, 2019 12:54 AM

The opening of the film of West Side Story, with its views of the rooftops of the city in ever closer relief, to the whistle and rising pulse of Bernstein's score is also a classic.

by Anonymousreply 51November 13, 2019 4:27 PM

Hope can we not forget Scarlett Johansson's ass?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 13, 2019 7:35 PM

My dad was a physicist and one day he Was watching snow white with my nephew. After a while we heard my nephew call “granddad stop rewinding the video please stop rewinding the video I want to watch this”.!

Dad had picked up on the exquisite detail and observational powers of the animators because he noticed something in the depiction of the ripples in a pond that did not quite fit with what was universally accepted .

He wound up getting a graduate to take the project as his Ph. D in physics.

by Anonymousreply 53November 13, 2019 9:58 PM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 54December 8, 2019 12:06 AM

American Beauty

by Anonymousreply 55December 11, 2019 1:16 PM

The opening sequence from "Contact" is amazing. One of my favorites:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 11, 2019 1:24 PM

Trainspotting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 11, 2019 1:24 PM

One of my favorites... As a five year-old in 1961, it terrified me more than any horror movie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 11, 2019 1:43 PM

The epic opening narration of The Road Warrior. Drenched in operatic pathos, it nails a brilliant narrative spike into the ground that sets up the rest of the movie perfectly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 11, 2019 2:36 PM

The prologue to HAWAII is an embarrassment of riches, with its lush cinematography, gorgeous Elmer Bernstein score and insight about seismic cultural transitions--Joseph Campbell would have been proud!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 11, 2019 3:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!