Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump claims he'll strike deal for Dreamers with Dems if SCOTUS overturns DACA

donald Trump on Tuesday claimed he would strike a deal with Democratic lawmakers to ensure that roughly 700,000 undocumented young people are allowed to remain in the U.S. — as long as the Supreme Court overturns the Obama-era initiative that provided those immigrants work authorization and deportation relief.

The president’s pledge comes as the high court begins hearing oral arguments Tuesday over Trump’s attempt to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which former President Barack Obama’s administration established in 2012 to grant protections to so-called “Dreamers” brought to the country as children.

“Many of the people in DACA, no longer very young, are far from ‘angels.’ Some are very tough, hardened criminals,” Trump tweeted. “President Obama said he had no legal right to sign order, but would anyway. If Supreme Court remedies with overturn, a deal will be made with Dems for them to stay!”

Despite Trump's assertion that some Dreamers are “criminals,” foreigners with a felony conviction or extensive misdemeanor records are ineligible for DACA and can be removed from the program if they commit crimes after obtaining DACA status.

Trump announced in September 2017 his intention to phase out DACA after a six-month period, giving Congress time to enact a legislative fix before the official expiry date of March 5, 2018. But three federal judges blocked the administration’s plans, and two federal appeals courts subsequently issued rulings against the wind-down.

Meanwhile, the Democrat-controlled House approved a bill in June to grant conditional legal status to an estimated 2.3 million Dreamers, although Congress has failed to pass a comprehensive solution.

The Supreme Court said in June that it would hear arguments over Trump’s DACA termination, and a decision by the justices is likely to come next spring or as late as the end of June 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 2:43 AM

Who in their right mind would trust a word out of his foul, lying, whining mouth?

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 7:33 PM

Congress SHOULD pass laws regarding undocumented immigrants/illegal aliens, especially DACA recipients. Trump is right on that one. DACA is not a law, nor is it a permanent solution.

Once again, politics gets in the way of policy. Democrats are not your friend: they prefer to fundraise and kick to the courts rather than have the political courage to work a deal and compromise. See: gay marriage/civil unions, repealing DOMA, protected class status for sexual orientation, pro-choice rights, and - obviously - DACA recipients, much less others who are not DACA-eligable.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 7:35 PM

You’re such an idiot r2. Democrats MANY TIMES have tried to pass legislation in support of DACA. you know who stopped them? Mitch McConnell and REPUBLICANS. go back to Russia, your vodka is running low..

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 7:37 PM

Bullshit. He’ll ask for something so unbelievably unpalatable from the Democrats in exchange for a DACA fix that they will have to say no and then he, and prices of shit like R2, can say, “See? We told you the Democrats don’t care about you!”

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 7:41 PM

R2 There is legislation, passed by the House, now blocked by McConnell. This is fact. Any analysis not acknowledging this is dishonest.

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 7:42 PM

DO NOT TRUST HIM.

DUMP is a fraud and a liar. He will ALWAYS stab you in the back.

Need proof?

Just go through the list of names of all the people who were loyal to him, and who he threw under the bus.

Start with Manafort.

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 7:45 PM

"Some are very tough, hardened criminals."

Takes one to know one. Once again, Trump is projecting.

I'm a helluva lot more afraid of Trump and his criminal buddies and grifting family than I am of any marauding Mexicans.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 7:47 PM

The House legislation (Dream and Promise Act) is nearly 100% partisan-line approved. That is POLITICS. A political party passing a bill they KNOW the opposition party will not pass in another chamber (or the exec will veto) is politics 101.

Democrats could have authorized DACA Congressionally when they controlled all branches of government (see: Affordable Care Act). They didn't!

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 7:49 PM

Bullshit, R2. The ONLY reason why DACA came into being is because the the white supremacists Republicans would do nothing to work with the nig- .... the painted man.

Now... it's a new day. I wouldn't trust Trump and were I the Democrats I would say that very loud publicly. But, I'd also put this DACA mess right in the laps of the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 7:52 PM

[quote]"Some are very tough, hardened criminals."

Were I Democrats, I couldn't engage and partner with Jorge Ramos fast enough to start pumping out commercials.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 7:55 PM

Oh r8, you stupid man. I can’t even argue this with you, you’re so stupid. DACA didn’t need to be passed it was incredibly popular and got bipartisan support as a program run by the Executive Branch, even with a Republican Congress. Until the cunt in the Oval Office today decided to blackmail Democrats with it. I’d tell you to go back to Russia but... you’re probably already there and starting on your second 5th of vodka.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 8:23 PM

R8 Not to pile on with more evidence of your misinformation (R11) but DACE, an administrative action, not legislation, was enacted AFTER 2010, when the Democrats lost control of the Senate. Mitch McConnell since then has been the Obstructer in Chief. When history of this period McConnell will be at least as much the villain as Trump. When Obama was elected in 2008 McConnell said, on the record, his #1 priority was to see that Obama was a failure and not be re-elected. You may remember that in 2008 the world's economy was teetering on the brink of collapse. The US was in a Great Recession, with folks losing their homes, unemployment raising to over 10% - but McConnell's top priority was to assure Obama's failure. This marked a brutalized tribalization of American politics that we may never recover from.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 2:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!