Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ford v. Ferrari - 2 hours 32 minutes!?!?!

What is the deal with all these long, long, ridiculously long movies these days? It seem like every big film that has opened recently has been at least two hours - often much longer.

A 2.5 hour movie + trailers works out to nearly 3 hours in the theater, not even counting travel time, ticket and refreshment buying, etc. That's an entire afternoon or evening gone. I don't have time for that unless it's the movie of a lifetime.

Whatever happened to tight, well-made 100 minute movies?

by Anonymousreply 44November 18, 2019 2:23 AM

Bad editing?

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 6:32 PM

I agree. I love Downton Abbey but I thought that damn movie would never end !

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 6:38 PM

What you don't want to see Matt "that ass" Damon and Christian Sourpuss Bale put on fake accents, chew scenery and race cars around for 2 and a half hours? What have we become? It's like we're losing our moral compass as a nation! Fie on you.

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 6:42 PM

If a movie is over 90 minutes long, I wait to watch in the comfort of my home.

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 6:46 PM

I know right? Not every filmmaker can be Quentin Tarantino.

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 7:12 PM

[quote] Matt "that ass" Damon

That ass?

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 5:23 AM

I had "Day Azz" that nice bubble was soft round and tight!

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2019 10:49 PM

The problem is that nobody can write scripts anymore. 3 hours and the characters remain undeveloped, the conflict is fuzzy and the entire structure is wobbly and unconvincing. I'm not talking about this particular film but abt all the crap Hollywood has produced in the last 15-20 years.

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2019 10:53 PM

OP are you a diabetic or a heroin addict. What is your rush to get back home about? Why can't you be out for longer than 4 hrs.

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2019 11:05 PM

Millennials go into DTs if they can't look at their phone every two minutes.

by Anonymousreply 10November 15, 2019 12:09 AM

I am incapable of sitting still that long. I am way too hyper after 90 minutes in one spot.

by Anonymousreply 11November 15, 2019 12:50 AM

Filmmakers nowadays all consider themselves geniuses and think every little thing they do must be seen.

by Anonymousreply 12November 15, 2019 5:32 AM

The film could definitely have been shorter. It's entertaining enough though. Very straight down the middle crowd pleaser. There are tons of hotties in it though, and they're all well shot.

by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2019 5:37 AM

Thanks R13. I'm planning to see it later this afternoon (Friday).

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2019 7:37 AM

Matt should go back to playing female strippers with that fattie ass. His best work...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2019 12:29 PM

TCM had a showing of Bette Davis’s movies from the 1930’s and they all zipped along for 90 minutes. I know movies were shorter then because there was more than one movie showing but the narrative was mostly concise and the editing snappy. I passed on “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” when I learned it’s length!

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2019 1:02 PM

Who is the audience for this car movie? Won't straight guys be turned off by all of the historical accuracy and period costumes? Do the producers think that the Fast N Furious crowd wants to see this? I can't think of a single girl or gay who would pay to watch this movie.

by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2019 1:08 PM

Maybe it's a passion project, like McQueen's Le Mans.

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2019 1:11 PM

You think 2 hours 32 minutes is long, try sitting through The Irishman!

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2019 1:23 PM

[quote]Who is the audience for this car movie? Won't straight guys be turned off by all of the historical accuracy and period costumes? Do the producers think that the Fast N Furious crowd wants to see this? I can't think of a single girl or gay who would pay to watch this movie.

Hahah, look at this guy trying to figure out whether straight men go to the movies.

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2019 2:08 PM

He has a point. Straight men showed up for Blade Runner 2049. But no one else did.

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2019 2:09 PM

I think it could do okay. Blade Runner 2049 is a categorically different film from Ford v Ferrari, not just from a genre perspective, but also a tonal one. Blade Runner's a challenging sci-fi film with little interest in traditionally thrilling you. Ford v Ferrari gives you exactly what you expect, which is ultimately a good time at the theater with a couple of movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2019 2:19 PM

The longer the better for restless Millenials and Gen- Zers, who have the attention span of a gnat.

Comfy chairs, wine, beer, snacks. For sure they’re getting up at least 3x during the movie, buying booze, popcorn or large Cokes to host the contents of their flasks.

No way can a theater thrive on content alone, anymore. So pump out those blockbusters, because we will usually pay 20.00 to see a comic book film, a really good sci-fi, an action film, for a cartoon for the kids, as long as they all have awesome special effects.

Kids+ parents who want to unwind + commissary + vino + candy + popcorn + a lackluster script targeted at 8 year olds = the difference between a theater remaining open or closing shop.

Bonus points: parents check date night of their “to do list”, and hopefully get laid by their spouse that night.

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2019 2:25 PM

Although I'm not planning to see this particular movie, I don't have any issue with long films at the cinema, because generally speaking I would only go to ones I really want to see, and if I love the film then the longer the better. If I paid to see a film that was only 80 minutes I'd feel a bit short-changed unless it was absolutely sensational.

However, where I feel it doesn't work so well is at home. Often when I watch a film at home, I end up choosing it because the length fits in with whatever else I'm doing, and as a consequence the bladder-busting 2.5-3 movies rarely ever get watched. I suppose it's the difference between going to the cinema to see something as an 'event' which you specifically set aside time for, versus fancying to watch something at home just off the cuff but working out if it's going to finish too late, particularly during the week when you're tired and want to get to sleep at a reasonable time (fuck I sound old with that I know).

by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2019 2:30 PM

With ticket prices the way they are, I want a movie to be lengthy. I'm not paying Arclight prices for a 90 minute film.

It all depends on the quality of the film. The Revenant was over 3 hours but it flew by to me because it was so engrossing. But the 90 minute Tom Hardy film Locke was a slog to get through.

FORD V. FERRARI was well paced. Far more entertaining than I expected it to be.

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2019 2:36 PM

Amazon and streaming services have made the iconic services and retail childhood experiences that we were privy to, almost obsolete.

If you currently have a newborn, a toddler, or one of your siblings or friends do, those kids will never experience Sears’ appliance department, K-Mart back to school bonanzas, or one of the very few things that can concentrate a large group of people from all sorts of various demographics, into one room, and have them all clap, laugh or cry, at the same time. Remember watching the Terminator for the first time in a theater? Or Pretty Woman, Superman, Close Encounters of The Third Kind, E.T., Forrest Gump, Mrs. Doubtfire., Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter, and Pirates of The Caribbean, Leaving Las Vegas, Fight Club, Legends of The Fall, Silence of the Lambs, etc.

Films are magic. The unifying nectar of the unlikely fellows, who could all walk out of a Lowe’s or an AMC, feeling the same way, at the same time.

We’ve all been gently pushed into a quasi hermitage, of sorts. Now sports are the only things going, and the occasional U2 or indie music concert, and those dreadful music festivals in the fucking desert.

I’m glad I’m older. It rocks.

by Anonymousreply 26November 15, 2019 3:04 PM

R26 I see what you're getting at, but it depends on who you are and where you live. Those that put a premium on the theatrical experience are going to carve out time when they can to go. Those who don't care, well, they never did. Not everyone takes movie-going as seriously as some of us, and never did, so there's no use in worrying about how their experience will shift.

Anyway, those shared theatrical experiences are diminishing because there simply aren't many films of that type worth watching. Seems like Marvel's one of the few studios that can get buts and seats and deliver a zeitgeist-like experience.

I will say though that one of my favorite theatrical experiences so far this year was watching The Irishman in a pretty packed house. That film really worked on us... there was way more laughter throughout than I thought there'd be, and we were all moved by the ending. I'll remember this experience.

by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2019 3:12 PM

Collective laughter inspired and triggered by good, solid writing, is almost priceless, R27.

And true, most people who will caravan with their kids to a theater playing Toy Story on a Friday night, are usually not interested in learning how the film was made, etc.

In my early 30s, I made a point of watching as many films that were distributed before my time, as possible. I spent weeks researching Citizen Kane, in sheer awe of how one man changed the film industry and how we filmed, forever. Same with Gone With The Wind. Eventually I got into the 60s, and studied the works of filmmakers in that era, and then my favorite era, the 70s. I probably spent 2.5 plus years doing nothing but having a true romance with film in my free time.

So I obviously appreciate modern technologies, and the Blockbuster’s in my neighborhood, that made that possible for me. I appreciate film so much more now, because I easily dedicated myself to watching good movies outside of the theater.

What kinda sucks, is that I’m not sure that people under 35 are interested in pursuing something like that, today, unless they’re in film school, a good film school, not the scam ones.

It seems to me that today’s content via streaming just sucks. And that’s where younger people are going to get that curiosity and experience of classics and the greats, via streaming. And even then, rarely will one find the long forgotten “Director’s Take” or “Making Of”, at the end of the film, like we did when renting a videotape or disc from Blockbuster.

If we could somehow integrate the classics into streaming services, perhaps packaged as a “Must Watch- History of Film” type of end product, the younger generations might become interested in writing again. Because we all know, that a great film begins with that tiny little idea that flew on someone’s shoulder, and became Chinatown, or the God Father, or epic something, like Citizen Kane.

by Anonymousreply 28November 15, 2019 3:46 PM

Carroll Shelby ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 15, 2019 3:50 PM

very few movies actually need to be over two hours long. Gone With The Wind did. But not many others.

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2019 7:16 AM

R17, I’m gay and I paid to see it. There’s actually not much period detail other than a bunch of clean-shaven guys in suits, although i don't know why you think straight guys would care about that one way or the other.

R13 is right – the movie is entertaining and straightforward. I was aware of the length but didn’t feel bored because the film is so well paced. Oh, and Jon Bernthal looks fantastic as Lee Iacocca. Very hot.

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2019 7:18 AM

R28, I understand what you're saying, but how many people ever really studied film as a art form, even among movie fans?

On the other hand, many more people will experience films via streaming than would ever see them in theaters or on DVD. This applies even more to old movies because they’re so much easier to find and can be watched on the spur of the moment, often “free” (that is, no additional charge above the streaming service charge). I’ll bet more people have been exposed to older movies via Amazon streaming than ever saw them on DVD or videotape, even though streaming hasn’t been around as long yet.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2019 7:22 AM

This is gonna flop so hard. No one wants to see it.

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2019 9:38 AM

R15, that’s Matt? What movie?

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2019 9:38 AM

They were [italic]very[/italic] flattering casting Bernthal as Iacocca.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2019 10:17 AM

[quote]This is gonna flop so hard. No one wants to see it.

It's actually doing very well. Projected to make $28M. Honestly, you're underestimating the appeal of a widely appealing film. Also, middle America will come out for this. There's nothing controversial about the film. It's about mavericks sticking it to the man. It's about cars that go fast. It's a romantic sports movie with movie stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2019 10:19 AM

What R36 is trying to say is that middle America is filled with stupid people who aren't as sophisticated as New Yorkers who will sit entranced for a three hour version of Follies.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2019 10:23 AM

I'd say starting with R26, this thread is just one frau having faux conversations with herself.

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2019 11:08 AM

R38, at least she has herself to talk to, which is one more person than you have.

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2019 1:08 PM

I saw it yesterday and really liked it except for Bale who seems to be playing some kind of caricature. The film is impeccably produced and edited, the racing sequences are astounding.

This film must be seem in a theater to be fully appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2019 1:24 PM

The poster is a big turn off to me, and I see it everywhere. Close-ups of Matt Damon and Christian Bale with sour, stank expressions like they just sniffed a pig’s ass.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2019 1:29 PM

It's the #1 movie this week.

In other news Charlie's Angels bombed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 18, 2019 2:11 AM

It’s because of Marvel. They started the trend by having 2 hour long movies that grossed millions, so most movies started being 2 hours long. Then Marvel movies got longer, and so did all the other movies coming out. For some reason major studios think longer runtime = box office hit. I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 43November 18, 2019 2:16 AM

Ive decided I hate Bale and to even see his face annoys the fuck out of me.

by Anonymousreply 44November 18, 2019 2:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!