Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are ALL drag queens seriously flawed, dramatic messes?

I know a few (we are NOT discussing trannies, just men in heels, dresses, makeup and wigs that perform in gay bars) and all of the ones I know are batshit crazy, changing boyfriends every 3 months, substance abuse issues, narcissistic, or thieves. There’s one in my town that singles out guys watching her show if they don’t give her a dollar. Really insulting them and shaming them. Tips should be at your discretion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 13, 2019 7:03 PM

try working in legit theater, honey. TONS and TONS of hot messes there

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 5:44 PM

I used to be mesmerized as a gayling by drag queens, but now that I’ve gotten to know some, I know they’re crazy. Maybe it’s because they have cultivated no job skills and once they got 30, they have to start over.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 5:44 PM

I do enjoy Bianca del Rio, but I don’t know what he’s like in real lifeZ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 5:47 PM

I can't stand them. When they try to talk to me in a gay bar I smile and walk away. They seem to think they're brilliant and most of the time they're just obnoxious, except for Lypsinka.

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 5:48 PM

Never appreciated the art.

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 5:48 PM

Alyssa Edwards is funny too, but but ugly as a boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 5:49 PM

Which one was in the movie “Trick?” Her I liked.....she was a caustic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 5:49 PM

I’ve never known anyone who is a drag queen. How do you encounter them?

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 5:53 PM

Coco Peru, R7.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 5:55 PM

I like the funny, witty ones with goofy names (Summer Eve la Douche, etc.). I think they should be bitchy clowns, lampooning the garish way women paint, fry, dye, and puff themselves up for male acceptance.

But the ones who just want to look like glamorous women are boring. After the initial, "Hey, yeah, very real" there's nothing left.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 5:55 PM

R8 You kinda need to leave the house at some point.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 5:55 PM

The house where? Most places don’t have drag queens all Over the place

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 5:59 PM

I agree with r1 performers are for the most part seriously fucked up people.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 6:01 PM

Never liked them.

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 6:04 PM

I stumbled upon the show "Dragcula" on Netflix the other night and on a whim watched an episode. Mind you, I have never watched Drag Race or any other kind of show like that before. Every single person on that show frightened me because they all reeked of mental illness and narricisstic personality disorder. All of them were hot messes with a overbearing need to suck the air out of any room. I didn't get the impression that it was for comic effect because they were filming either. I kept wondering what they were like in real life outside of drag and all I could think was...yikes.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 6:34 PM

Lady Bunny is a peach.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 6:35 PM

R15 To be fair, the producers of all reality TV shows select for people with personality disorders.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 8:17 PM

The cuntier the drag queen the better as far as I’m concerned. It’s performance art. I don’t like this watering down of drag now that it’s become more mainstream. Give me drama, chaos and absolute filth! x

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 8:33 PM

Yes Rhoda!! I like a Devine type of drag queen......eat some dog shit and be filthy. If you do that kinda shit, I’ll give you a dollar

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 8:35 PM

The drag queens in Indy were constantly in and out of jail for drugs and shoplifting.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 8:36 PM

R4-this is precisely how I feel about David Sedaris. He's such a bitter, malicious, condescending queen. He mocks everything and tries to pass it off as clever, and really, it's just mean-spirited.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 8:38 PM

R19 - Divine is a legend. The ultimate. x

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 8:41 PM

I love Coco Peru and Varla Jean Merman. I think they have actual talent and are very funny, but what's with the ones who just lip-sync to Lady Gaga songs and call that talent. I'm sorry, but that's not a talent. If they actually used their own voices, I'd be way more impressed like Jim Bailey who used to do impressions of all the big divas of the time, but he'd actually impersonate their singing voices as well (and quite well I might add).

Is Charles Busch considered a drag queen? I love him, too. Very sharp, funny writer.

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 8:45 PM

In the 90s, I could buy coke from any drag queen in town.

by Anonymousreply 24November 13, 2019 12:54 AM

You know nothing, perras!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2019 1:01 AM

A lot of the modern drag queens who grew up on social media and the internet are just so fucking tedious, they act so serious like their drag is going to change the world or something, well, it's not, get that stick out your arseholes and lighten up.

by Anonymousreply 26November 13, 2019 1:18 AM

they're so a-dime-a-dozen.

by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2019 1:47 AM

I love Peaches Christ

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2019 4:41 AM

Remember Shirley Q. Liquor?

by Anonymousreply 29November 13, 2019 4:51 AM

The Coyle Twins are not messed up, at least not overwhelmingly so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2019 5:06 AM

[quote]Lady Bunny is a peach.

Lady Bunny is a crazed Bernloon!

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2019 5:33 AM

The fucking face on that thing in OP turns my stomach!

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2019 5:58 AM

Performers tend to be neurotic messes (not all; many) and drag queens are just larger than life performers so...yeah, you can really ratchet up the lunacy with many of them (not all).

R15 It wasn't your imagination. Dragula tends to cast the dregs of drag world. I've known/know the back story on a few and they tend to be a fuckin' disaster zone.

by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2019 7:06 AM

OP, I don't know any in real life, although I can tell you I have been acquainted with Manila Luzon, and she was a bit ornery.

by Anonymousreply 34November 13, 2019 7:09 AM

Dragula is just an all round crap-fest. The recent one where they let in that non-binary chick who seemed to be having an identity crisis of some sort, and went on a tirade about the word "fish" was annoying as hell, even worse than that idiot who wouldn't stop going on about how straight he was in S2.

by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2019 3:49 PM

I’d love to see an article profiling life-long drag queens once they reach 60 years old. Are they in a trailer in Alabama?

by Anonymousreply 36November 13, 2019 4:44 PM

[QUOTE]Are ALL drag queens seriously flawed, dramatic messes?

Well, I have no use for them.

by Anonymousreply 37November 13, 2019 7:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!