Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Robin Williams in a manic frenzy

Did you ever know anyone like him: rapid-fire sounds, impersonations, jokes, physicality, no inhibitions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 9, 2020 9:56 AM

Not to diss him or pay disrespect to the dead, but i always thought he was mentally ill, NOT talented, NOT a comedian, NOT a artist...

guess it truly is a fine line between the two?..

And no, i never found him funny or entertaining..

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 5:43 PM

Coked up in that clip?

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 5:44 PM

like billy eichner, on these tears he was really really funny, but only in small doses

that he ended up being a sad depressed old man was heart-breaking.

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 5:46 PM

I used to find him extremely funny as a kid.

After I grew up I realized he had some tortured almost cringe inducing need for attention and it just wasn't that funny. I could see him thinking of the next wildest thing to get a reaction, a reaction that would validate him or something. I mean he certainly has his moments of wit but it's bittersweet watching him now.

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 5:57 PM

I never thought he was that funny--definitely manic though

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 6:00 PM

His name was Robin McLaurin Williams.

Interesting trivia from Wikipedia:

"His mother, Laurie McLaurin, was a former model from Jackson, Mississippi. Through her, he was a great-great-grandson of Mississippi senator and governor Anselm J. McLaurin."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 6:03 PM

[quote] I used to find him extremely funny as a kid.

That's because he starred in a lot of family friendly films, some of which hasn't aged well. However, his stand up specials are very adult and are still hilarious. I really liked the last HBO one he did where by the end he was drenched in sweat.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 6:04 PM

"Mrs. Doubtfire" was crap.

And remember the hype around "Toys"- which flopped?

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 6:11 PM

[quote] "Mrs. Doubtfire" was crap.

Millions would disagree with you. Despite mediocre reviews, it's become a cultural phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 6:13 PM

He was frequently coked up, and he also had an emotional disorder that would make him manic.

He did not have a happy life.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 6:20 PM

He was talented, but so desperate for attention that it killed the funny. All you can see is his incredible neediness.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 6:26 PM

He made many shitty films

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 6:30 PM

Well there was his idol, Jonathan Winters, who was also plagued with psych issues.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 6:31 PM

Robin Williams had Lewy Body Dementia, and I believe his behavior and mania were aspects of the damage to his brain.

I did know one person who behaved just like him: my father’s brother. He was frantic and frenetic. He ran a drug rehab charity and he became a minister. He told us that he was haunted by the ghost of his first boss and that Satan used to come into his house through the sliding glass door and he had to banish Satan in the name of Jesus Christ. He took in and tried to mentor a former convict and drug addict who stole literally everything from him, including even his dining room chandelier and his dishwasher. He was diagnosed with glioblastoma and died within a couple of months. I feel certain that his behaviors, including hallucinations and religiosity, were caused by his brain cancer.

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 6:32 PM

Robin Williams is a national treasure. I didn't like all of his movies but a few I consider favorites. He's incredible in One Hour Photo. He's one of those celebrity deaths that felt like a gut punch and I miss Robin Williams quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 6:51 PM

He was wonderful, but could be a bit hard to take at times. I loved him in Mrs. Doubtfire and Jumanji and even his more dramatic work like One Hour Photo where he proved that he could be still and placid. He's already gone down as one of the greats, but I can't imagine hanging around him for more than 10 minutes without clawing my eyes out.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 7:07 PM

He definitely had moments of brilliance. BiCentential Man was a flop but I always thought it was a wonderful film. Same with When Dreams May Come and the previously mentioned One Hour Photo. He was great in those. His manic portrayals like in Good Morning Vietnam were tedious. He was so funny in The Birdcage. I'm sure whenever he found out about his Lewy body dementia it did change his personality somewhat. I don't blame him for not wanting to go out that way. RIP Robin.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 7:11 PM

Insomnia was a good film. He was not good in it

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 7:19 PM

I enjoyed a couple of his movies, because he seemed at least partially under control. But apart from his movies, watching him exhausted me. Too much sensory input for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 7:32 PM

Major, major talent. Very gifted man. I also liked Bicentennial Man and What Dreams May Come. By all accounts, a kind and caring man.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 7:35 PM

Yes, the constant & obvious need for attention was unattractive. Thanks for reminding me of One-Hour Photo. That was a good movie, like Cable Guy (not joking).

I think it was the HBO special where he described being addicted to cocaine plus being rich. (Coke is God's way of telling you you have too much money, something like that.)

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 7:46 PM

I was born in '79, grew up with Robin Williams films, he was like a second, silver screen dad for me. And yeah, he wasn't always funny, but his best moments made up for it. His suicide hit me harder than any other celebrity death has or will.

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 7:52 PM

R1, I have never found Robin Williams funny at all. He was much better in scary/dramatic roles. His "comedy" is too much, like a child that won't stop saying "look at me, look at me!".

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 7:55 PM

He was always annoying and untalented. On the Spectrum before there WAS a Spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 7:59 PM

He said he was grateful for having a mother from the South and that's where he got his sense of humor - that southern women were like a combination of Tennessee Williams and Neil Simon.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 8:04 PM

What R22 said. Fuck you, haters. x

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 8:05 PM

I’d not heard that before, R25 - that’s quite lovely. x

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 8:06 PM

Aww I love Robin. I just meant it's hard to watch him when he's in pain.

He said something about the Oscar high being over with in a matter of months or something. From the time when he won an Oscar. Was he on to something about achievements in fame being fleeting, or was that just his personality?

I feel so sorry for his children.

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 8:11 PM

He was fast but that doesn't make him funny. He was much better as a dramatic actor, as are most comedians.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 9:06 PM

When my borderline/bipolar dad was 'on', which was most of the time, he was exactly like that. A legendary raconteur, but exhausting to be around for any stretch of time. I couldn't be more different.

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2019 9:11 PM

Before everything went PC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 9, 2020 2:52 AM

Robin Williams gave me HIVES!

He ALWAYS seemed like a manic mental patient and high as a kite. I never got how he didn't unnerve more people with his exhausting antics. It was a sad end for him, but I understand he had a long period of drug and alcohol abuse, which never helps in the end.

by Anonymousreply 32March 9, 2020 3:49 AM

You bitches are slipping...

by Anonymousreply 33March 9, 2020 4:02 AM

I had experiences with him before he was famous. He would drop in unexpectedly at local clubs (San Francisco, 1970s) and I saw him several times when he did that. He was from Marin County (directly north of SF) and was a local fixture in clubs then.

I was modeling in those days but also very shy. I met him at a friend's house, he came by with a comic friend and hung out for a while. He was also quiet and shy and we stared at each other a lot, he was handsome in a cute way. Afterwards I learned he had just signed with the William Morris Agency, shortly before he was cast as Mork. He was already with the woman who became his first wife but I still developed a huge crush.

The highlight though was when a friend and I went to a comedy club in the Marina District, there were two other people in the small club. We were having drinks when out he pops unexpectedly onto the small stage. My friend had gone to high school with him and he looked at as like we seemed familiar but didn't mention it. For the next 90 minutes he played directly to us. It was wild and crazy and hilarious. Manic for sure, but I understood from people who knew him that he could be shy and reserved when not performing.

by Anonymousreply 34March 9, 2020 4:24 AM

I liked him - but never liked him in improv and stand up. It's just way too much. Some of the free association was pretty amazing, but his 'comedy' was like watching a tornado.

by Anonymousreply 35March 9, 2020 4:32 AM

He had, to my ears, such a strange accent. Can anyone explain it?

by Anonymousreply 36March 9, 2020 4:55 AM

In person I'm stone-faced but inside I'm a lot like Robin: my mind racing and seeing everything in a sarcastic, wry way. When I'm alone I do voices, poke fun of people and sing songs satirically. So manic comics like Mario Cantone, Joan Rivers and Robin are cathartic for me.

by Anonymousreply 37March 9, 2020 5:06 AM

I was always conflicted about Robin Williams. A good actor whose work I enjoyed - and often great - Good Will Hunting, Dead Poet's Society, Mrs. Doubtfire, One Hour Photo, The World According to Garp - I HATED his talk show and awards show appearances. I found them self-indulgent and over-the-top and not very funny. It seemed to be the fact that he was talking so fast (manic) was supposed to be funny. But I found it uncomfortable and tedious. It's like Robert Downey Jr.'s appearances on talk shows and awards shows - he thinks he's so funny but he comes off smug and up his own ass.

But Robin did have a likability that highlighted all of his work.

by Anonymousreply 38March 9, 2020 5:26 AM

I'm the opposite of most of you in that I loved his stand-up but wasn't into his movies. HBO did a great documentary on him a while back, for all of his success in life he was not a very happy person, which is so common among comedians. Many of them are unhappy people.

by Anonymousreply 39March 9, 2020 5:29 AM

R38 One hour photo was such a strange and haunting film. I'm surprised it's not more of a cult classic.

by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2020 5:55 AM

He always seemed textbook bipolar and was self medicating with drugs and alcohol. Great actor but I remember Oprah interviewing him once and I felt so sorry for her, he was on another planet, completely manic and all over the place, it was very annoying. One of these creative people who are too smart for their own good and who are borderline crazy. Sad, I think he suffered tremendously.

by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2020 6:29 AM

Yeah, I have to watch One Hour Phot again r40. I found it very creepy. I had such a crush on Michael Vartan at the time but even his handsomeness could transcend the movie's bleakness.

by Anonymousreply 42March 9, 2020 6:32 AM

If you have any experience with Lewy Body Dementia, also informally known as the ‘worst’ type, you know why he killed himself. It’s a totally cruel variation with delusions, paranoia, violence, forgetfulness and eventually total loss of mobility. He did the right thing.

by Anonymousreply 43March 9, 2020 7:50 AM

Williams was never funny. All he did was act like a four year old, hopped on sugar. And at least they are cute and not disgustingly overweight and hirsute.

by Anonymousreply 44March 9, 2020 8:54 AM

r44 when was Robin Williams ever disgustingly overweight?

by Anonymousreply 45March 9, 2020 9:02 AM

Annoying as shit and more untreated than talented. His latter "serious" work like One-Hour Photo was just creepy, not good, the equivalent of say, a six-year-old girl playing the role of Norma Desmond (with apologies Mrs. Patsy Ramsey, formerly of Boulder CO).

Another example of how people often mistake effort for a successful result.

by Anonymousreply 46March 9, 2020 9:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!