Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The best celebrity autobiographies

What are your favourite celebrity self-written memoirs and biographies?

I ask because when visiting a friend in hospital today, from the patient swap shelves I picked up a copy of I AM NOT ASHAMED by Barbara Payton.

The last autobiography I read was AUTOBIOGRAPHY by Morrissey last summer. Unfortunately, this I did not enjoy it. It was the guiding factor in making me no longer a fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 17, 2020 11:27 PM

I actually loved the first half of his book, covering his time in the Smiths and it gradually soured to miserable bullshit. Much like his career.

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 3:01 PM

I'm with r1. The second half of his book was unbearable. What I did like is that he got David Morrissey to narrate the audiobook.

When I was a teenager I stole I borrowed and never returned I Me Mine by George Harrison from the local library. Naturally I can't find it now.

I have downloaded the ebooks for the Nick Nolte and the Demi Moore autobiographies, will likely get to them over Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 5:24 PM

Michael Caine's autobiography is amazing! I was inspired to write to his publisher and ask them to pass on my compliments. And I Never do that......

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 7:56 PM

From long ago, David Niven, Alec Guinness, Elia Kazan, Tennessee Williams.

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 8:30 PM

Seriously?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 11:16 PM

Another from long ago- Eddie Fisher's "Been There, Done That."

Talk about dishing the dish, mostly on himself but he doesn't spare Taylor, Sinatra, etal. The only exception is that he dances around the topic of whether or not Debbie Reynolds was a lesbian.

But damn, that was a juicy read.

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 11:38 PM

My Life / Isadora Duncan

Apparently she made up a lot of the "facts", but it's still a great read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 12:16 AM

1/4 through Flea’s autobiography; it’s great.

I still have Just Kids sitting, unread, on my shelf.

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2019 10:33 AM

OP, if you're into 1990s/Britpop music memoirs, I would recommend 'Coal Black Mornings' by Brett Anderson from Suede, and Bad Vibes by Luke Haines, formerly of The Auteurs and Black Box Recorder. Both are well written, but Anderson's is more introspective and Haines' more sardonic and humorous.

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2019 10:55 AM

Another vote for David Niven, both "Bring on the Empty Horses" and "The Moon's a Balloon."

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2019 11:27 AM

"Yes, I Can"--- Sammy Davis, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2019 11:32 AM

Grace Jones' memoir is really good--"I'll Never Write My Memoirs." And Hedy Lamarr's "Ecstasy and Me" is a classic of the genre. I'm also a fan of Joan Fontaine's "No Bed of Roses."

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2019 12:22 PM

^^^ Joan Fontaine’s second husband, producer William Dozier, referred to her book as “No Shred of Truth.”

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2019 2:13 PM

Yes R9 another vote for Luke Haines' books.

Julian Cope's autobiography is very well written. I'm a casual fan of his as best, but Head On is a great read.

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2019 2:23 PM

[R3], I'm someone who would do that if I was impressed by an autobiography. Can you share why not?

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2019 2:34 PM

I get yelled at for this every time but.......

Jennifer Lees' biography of her husband Richard Prior is great.

I have no interest in him but it's a real page turner.

The drugs, the rotten children and the "oh so grand" Cosbys are really interesting. Especially what we know about the Cosbys now.

Great read.

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2019 2:54 PM

please insert "with" between Especially and what.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2019 2:57 PM

R16, "Autobiographies."

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2019 11:17 AM

Boy George's Take It Like A Man is a lot of fun. Love him.

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2019 12:43 PM

R19 agreed Take It Like A Man is a great read, the follow up, Straight is atrocious though.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2019 1:14 PM

@ [R15]. I probably should have phrased it "I've never done that before". I was that impressed. I have no problem with anyone responding positively (or even negatively) to any writing. I think it's a good thing....

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 2:10 PM

What about my autobiography, "Out on a Limb"? Or perhaps my latest, "'I'm Over All That"? I just can't stop writing about myself because I'm so f**king fascinating. Don't you agree?

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2019 2:16 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 23December 8, 2019 2:03 AM

Mamie Van Doren, ‘Playing the Field.’ She got some Grade A dick.

by Anonymousreply 24December 8, 2019 2:06 AM

Alison Arngrim"s "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch" is amazing! The audio book is even better as she reads it.

by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2019 2:16 AM

Bumping. Looking for a really good dishy read. Biographies are fine too.

by Anonymousreply 26February 16, 2020 2:48 AM

R16 the bio for Richard Pryor talks about the Cosbys?

by Anonymousreply 27February 16, 2020 2:55 AM

Etta James' "Rage to Survive."

by Anonymousreply 28February 16, 2020 3:01 AM

In defense of a DL fave punching bag, Shirley's first bio book, "Don't Fall off the Mountain," is pretty good. Written, I reckon, before she got all woke. The Keef book... I read a few pages from 1972 on google books, and just those few pages are riddled with errors.

But what's wiv multiple auto bios of people who are alive? Carly's newest one comes to mind. Did these celebs fuck up their past capital that much that they're going to besmirch whatever cred they still have for an advance?

by Anonymousreply 29February 16, 2020 3:03 AM

Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It by Miss Mae West. Loved one chapter heading: Sex, More Sex and the Cooler.

by Anonymousreply 30February 16, 2020 3:03 AM

Favorites:

Fun in a Chinese Laundry by Joseph von Sternberg

The Autobiography of Charlie Chaplin

Marlene Dietrich by Maria Riva (her daughter--it's really more of a memoir of living with her mother than a biography of her mother)

The Million Dollar Mermaid by Esther Williams (hilariously juicy)

Prairie Girl by Melissa Gilbert (hilarious despite itself because it is so unnecessarily bitchy about poor Melissa Sue Anderson--whom she STILL resents the hell out of--and about everyone else who has ever annoyed her in any way, from Rob Lowe to Valerie Harper)

David Niven's and Peter Ustinov's are exquisitely written, and they both tell great stories. Many of the stories Niven tells, though, did not really happen to him--he "borrows" them from the lives of his other friends, like Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 31February 16, 2020 3:13 AM

I thought Carly Simon's autobiography "Boys in the Trees" was very well written and candid.

The only person she spares is James Taylor, but I suspect that is to protect her children.

She really rips her mother a new one for fucking a boy half her age the same house as her husband. Carly even reveals that someone called her mother a "whore" in front of her children for being in the boy's room fucking the night her husband had a heart attack and came to her door for help.

She also reveals that she was sexually abused by an older boy, which makes a lot of sense, given how much she traded in sex as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 32February 16, 2020 3:35 AM

I’ll second “Confessions of a Prairie Bitch.”

I wanted her to be my new best friend after that book.

by Anonymousreply 33February 16, 2020 3:44 AM

Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis was a good read, mostly because of how fucked up his childhood was, RHCP were, etc. I still vividly remember one particular anecdote, where Kiedis describes being ignored by Ione Sky and subsequently cut his lip and left "blood kisses" all over her car to get her attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 16, 2020 3:53 AM

My Last Sigh by Luis Bunuel.

by Anonymousreply 35February 16, 2020 3:59 AM

R34 Keidis tells a good Cher story, too.

by Anonymousreply 36February 16, 2020 4:23 AM

Shelly Winters is dishy AF. Someone serialized one of her memoirs on DL. Warning: You won't be able to stop once you start.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 16, 2020 4:27 AM

"Jennifer Lees' biography of her husband Richard Prior is great."

Are you talking about her memoir "Tarnished Angel." That wasn't a biography of Richard Pryor. It was about Jennifer Lee's nasty, sordid, pathetic life; he just happened to be a part of that. Although I'm sure it was unintentional she came across in her memoir as a dimwit, talentless slut.

by Anonymousreply 38February 16, 2020 4:31 AM

As if Pryor's life wasn't sordid. He left coke in Pam Grier's vag.

by Anonymousreply 39February 16, 2020 4:44 AM

Nobody said Pryor's life wasn't "sordid." He married Jennifer Lee, didn't he? Of all the women in the world for him to marry and he married one of the skankiest skanks ever to skank. He would beat the shit our of her and she kept coming back for more. They finally parted ways but she wormed herself back in his life when he was crippled with MS. Their relationship was truly one made in hell.

by Anonymousreply 40February 16, 2020 4:50 AM

I also liked Grace Jones’ autobiography.

Melissa Etheridge’s was awful. Such a selfish whiny little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 41February 16, 2020 6:56 AM

R39/r40 I wanna know what she says about the “grand” Cosby’s...

by Anonymousreply 42February 16, 2020 9:17 AM

My First Two Thousand Men by Liz Renay (1992,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 16, 2020 10:28 AM

"And A Voice To Sing With" by Joan Baez. Lots of interesting anecdotes, tastefully juicy in some parts.

by Anonymousreply 44February 16, 2020 10:55 AM

Time Bends by Arthur Miller

Act One by Moss Hart

A Life by Elia Kazan

Boys in the Trees by Carly Simon

by Anonymousreply 45February 16, 2020 11:03 AM

Tori Amos’s “Piece by Piece” was co-written by Anne Powers and like Tori’s music it’s a love-or-hate affair. I love it and I have read it three times. It’s an unusual narrative tied together with personal essays about her family and her beliefs, as well as profiles of some of her songs. Some people may not like it because it’s so avant garde. Some people love it because it is.

I genuinely love Lucille Ball’s “Love, Lucy.” My copy is a tacky looking little orange paperback with a very 1980s ultra-glam photo, but the stories inside are really wonderful. Her upbringing was surprisingly difficult, and she writes about how an accidental shooting by her brother of a neighbor boy bankrupted their family. She went to model in NYC as a teen and then became suddenly paralyzed by a mysterious sudden-onset illness diagnosed as rheumatoid arthritis that made her unable to walk. She took an “experimental horse shot” from a veterinarian and regained her ability to walk. (I wonder if she had Lyme and not RA, since even today rheumatoid arthritis is not curable and at that time antibiotics would have been experimental medication...) She moved out to LA, and then she begins the stories of living and working as a dancer and a contract player, her friendship with Ginger Rogers, her love of Desi (who she never stopped loving). It’s just such a heart-filled story.

I had to read Kathy Griffin’s memoir to interview her about it and I wasn’t expecting much but it was really enjoyable and interesting. What I remember most about it was the stuff about Lisa Kudrow in the Groundlings...

Evidently, I only read memoirs written by redheaded women. I never noticed that before.

by Anonymousreply 46February 16, 2020 11:11 AM

Carol Burnett’s One More Time is my favorite celebrity autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 47February 16, 2020 11:30 AM

R42 go buy the fucking book you cheap bitch!

by Anonymousreply 48February 16, 2020 12:06 PM

R44 yes! Especially her lezzie life.

by Anonymousreply 49February 16, 2020 12:07 PM

R8 - apparently Flea left some stuff out of his book . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 16, 2020 1:01 PM

I loved Edna O’Brien’s memoir, Country Girl. The woman is incapable of writing an ugly sentence.

by Anonymousreply 51February 16, 2020 1:12 PM

I'm sticking to my guns on this one. Jennifer Lee Pryors' book is a real page turner.

Jennifer was in my bosses' circle back in the day. Funny and self aware.

And again, her take on the evil Cosbys is worth a look. They were awful. Really awful.

by Anonymousreply 52February 16, 2020 1:30 PM

I loved Andy Warhols Diaries, By Myself- Lauren Becall, A Life-Biography of Margaret Mead, Nancy Spungeons book about Sid and Nancy (she may not have written this haha because she dies at the end). Have to agree with the above about the Eddie Fischer book. He really goes into the Todd-Taylor relationship. Kitty Kelley- Frank Sinatra, the new WHAM book by Andrew Ridgely, Edie- can't remember who wrote it, Played Out about Jean Seberg

by Anonymousreply 53February 16, 2020 1:48 PM

I'm currently reading The Rainbow Comes and Goes - Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt. Lovely read and thoughtfully edited.

by Anonymousreply 54February 16, 2020 1:53 PM

Yet another vote for Niven's "Bring on the Empty Horses"

Dirk Bogarde's A Memoir series were pretty good, if you don't mind a lot of reading between the lines.

Julia Philips's "You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again"

by Anonymousreply 55February 16, 2020 2:04 PM

Loved Boy’s. Also liked Carly’s. Cyndi’s is very honest and funny and touching. She talks about being a stripper and eating squirrel when she was poor.

Would love to read a train wreck one from Courtney.

by Anonymousreply 56February 16, 2020 2:15 PM

Of course the ULTIMATE autobiography goes to..... drum roll.... SCOTTY BOWERS!!!! "Full Service" is the most interesting and sexually salacious book you'll ever read about the golden era of Hollywood. I loved it and the documentary.

by Anonymousreply 57February 16, 2020 2:39 PM

I believe every word of Scotty Bowers book.

I was in that world at a different time, but I saw stuff that nobody would believe. (as proven here many times)

I'm sure there were exaggerations, but at it's core : true.

by Anonymousreply 58February 16, 2020 4:21 PM

Everyone in Hollywood is trash and most come from trash. I always found it funny how "trailer park" everyone is. When you think about it, just because someone has fame and money, it doesn't make them suddenly classy. They're just trash with money. When a redneck wins the lottery, he's not suddenly sipping champs and perusing New Yorker Magazine.

by Anonymousreply 59February 16, 2020 4:32 PM

As I Am by Patricia Neal

Limelight and After and Leaving A Doll's House by Claire Bloom

by Anonymousreply 60February 16, 2020 4:41 PM

My Way or the Highway, by Helen Lawson.

The stories she told! The men she had!

by Anonymousreply 61February 16, 2020 4:57 PM

One summer I read 65 celebrity autobiographies. The best was Pam Grier's "Foxy" and it surprised the shit out of me. I laughed out loud and then it was scary. She had great respect for the people in her exploitation days. It was so good that I read it again as soon as I finished. I got to tell her how much I loved it and she shrieked and gave me a big hug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 16, 2020 5:02 PM

BABY DOLL by Carroll Baker.

Lots about James Dean, Liz Taylor, the Actors Studio - etc. And her grimy beginnings in show business (living in a dirt floored basement, doing chorus girl tours with C list singers) really give you a sense of what it’s like to begin a climb like that.

Plus - she comes across as a good actress, so that’s always interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 16, 2020 8:30 PM

She comes across as a good actress in her book? What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 64February 16, 2020 8:35 PM

R55 I didn't want "You'll Never Eat Lunch in this Town Again" to end. I think she wrote a second one but it wasn't as good.

by Anonymousreply 65February 16, 2020 8:42 PM

“AFTER ALL”....Mary Tyler Moore

A bittersweet read, very well written

by Anonymousreply 66February 16, 2020 8:58 PM

Some great recommendations. Thanks everyone!

by Anonymousreply 67February 17, 2020 4:09 AM

Faithless by Marianne Faithfull

by Anonymousreply 68February 17, 2020 4:38 AM

Confessions of a Prairie Bitch - Alison Arngrim.

I LOVED IT.

by Anonymousreply 69February 17, 2020 4:39 AM

[quote]R64 She comes across as a good actress in her book? What does that mean?

The choices she made, how she approached a role, etc.

Some stars aren’t really technically accomplished actors, but Baker studied Stanislavsky’s method acting at the Actors Studio, and when she had good roles, all that showed. And she talks about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 17, 2020 4:42 AM

Definitely Alison Arngrim's book, Confessions of a Prairie Bitch; and Kathy Griffin's book, Official Book Club Selection.

by Anonymousreply 71February 17, 2020 4:47 AM

Gloria Swanson is a piece of work. She tells every story.

by Anonymousreply 72February 17, 2020 4:52 AM

My WIcked, Wicked Ways by Errol Flynn, hardcover edition. His first wife, Lily Damita insisted that anything unsavory about her be edited out for the paperback edition.

by Anonymousreply 73February 17, 2020 4:29 PM

[quote]Gloria Swanson is a piece of work. She tells every story.

Well luckily that plane didn't crash back in '75 or that book would have been lost forever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74February 17, 2020 9:28 PM

"As I Am" by Patricia Neal is a good read. She seemed very honest. And she really does lay it on the line when it comes to her horrid husband Roald Dahl, the children's book author. She suffered a series of massive strokes; she basically had to learn how to do everything again, including speaking and walking. He used "tough love" to speed her recovery, although her recovery was a life long process. As she recovered she started acting again. She did commercial and some woman assistant was helping her chose her clothes for her appearances. She considered the woman, Felicity Crosland, a very good friend. She took her home to meet her family and dear Felicity immediately jumped into bed with her horny husband Roald. They conducted an affair right under her nose, all the while Crosland putting on her friend act. Neal found out about the affair, confronted them and they cooled it off for a while. But they started back up again and Neal finally threw in the towel and divorce Dahl. It was all a VERY nasty business and Neal doesn not mince words when discussing it. At one point she describes Dahl, who is roaring with laughter as Neal boards a plane to get away from the whole mess for a while, thus: "he looked like Satan."

by Anonymousreply 75February 17, 2020 11:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!