Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Red Hat Ladies

The fuck is this frau nonsense?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2019 4:34 AM

Cheap tippers with entitlement issues from what I've heard about them for over 15 years starting with Bitter Waitress. They're "Ladies Who Like to Lunch" but don't have the breeding or sense to understand what it means.

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 8:26 AM

Shit those old girls are probably dead now. That has to be an old picture.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 9:19 AM

I had a very flamboyant friend that like to imagine himself as ladies who lunch. Only he was a messy queen living off disability with a drinking problem. He didn't get the part about being wealthy and generous.

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 9:42 AM

Frau nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 10:58 AM

omg r1 that's exactly what they are! Snobby old cunts who dress up and look fuckin ridiculous yet look down their nose at anyone who isn't in their pathetic group. Sadfucks

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 11:01 AM

r3, but did he wear a red hat and purple blouse?

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 11:02 AM

[quote] Snobby old cunts who dress up and look fuckin ridiculous yet look down their nose at anyone who isn't in their pathetic group.

Old? Snobby? Bad tippers?

Sounds like a bunch of queens at brunch.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 11:05 AM

old republican cunts. Nancy Reagan red.

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 11:09 AM

It signifies to the rest of the world that they haven't seen a penis in over 5 years and they now prefer the company of other women who are similarly lesbianic.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 11:10 AM

A friend of my mothers joined her local branch. She went once. Said they were the nastiest old bitches she had ever met.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 11:11 AM

The purple clothes are likely inspired by the I Shall Wear Purple poem.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 11:11 AM

Purple and red were Carrie Dollanganger's favourite colours.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 11:14 AM

Their behaviour is inspired by the DL poem; I Shall Be A Cunt

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 11:17 AM

You can be a QUEEN for $49 a month!

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 11:21 AM

Website

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 11:21 AM

I think they're absolutely fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 11:27 AM

They look like rough weathered drag queens who haven't been laid in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 11:30 AM

There was a dress shop in my home town that was Red Hat central. First, I think a lot of this is a scam. Some biddy uses the society to promote her own business or otherwise for personal gain. I am sure the owner of the dress shop made a fortune on red hats, feather boas, and other rubbish.

Second, the society is basically the worst of high school "Queen Bee and Wannabe" dynamics.

Getting back the the dress shop, the store next door had a big sign in the window: "Red Hat Society- proof age does not equal wisdom."

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 11:35 AM

The Red Hat society was formed in 1998 and is based on a poem from 1961. Is OP a time traveler going the wrong way?

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 12:15 PM

[quote]The Red Hat Society (RHS) is an international social organization that was founded in 1998 in the United States for women age 50 and beyond, but now open to women of all ages. Its main purpose is to provide women with opportunities for pleasant social interaction, both for reconnecting with old friends and making new ones. There are more than 50,000 members in the United States and 30 other countries

Funny how we have thread after thread of guys here claiming how lonely they are. Yet here are people DOING something about it, instead of just bitching.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 1:56 PM

It will be like an all girls middle-school again. The bragging the egos. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 2:42 PM

Most of these dames are well past the Frau stage. They're frauen emeritus.

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 2:46 PM

Frauen Emeritae! Sexist pig.

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 2:50 PM

The correct term is "Witwen mit ausgetrockneten alten Fotzen."

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 2:52 PM

Wait, they're a real thing?

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 2:57 PM

I like it. It’s the women’s version of a man’s Ferrari and his midlife crisis. Here’s the poem:

[italic] When I am an old woman I shall wear purple

With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired

And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

And run my stick along the public railings

And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

And pick the flowers in other people’s gardens

And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

And eat three pounds of sausages at a go

Or only bread and pickle for a week

And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

And pay our rent and not swear in the street

And set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practise a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

[/italic] Acknowledgement:

© Jenny Joseph, SELECTED POEMS, Bloodaxe 1992.

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 3:02 PM

When I am old, I will wear caftans and earrings...

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 3:02 PM

An eighty-five dollar hat....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 3:09 PM

Yeah, that full poem is ripe for parody. Some creating DLer should find the gay male caftan equivalent of the Red Hat Lady.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 3:09 PM

Looks like a Supernatural Convention.

Nothing but sad, lonely FRAUS. . . .

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2019 3:12 PM

R29, just add to r27, and this..

...I will eat carbs, onion rings, and cake...

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2019 4:32 PM

Don't you mean cak?

by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2019 4:34 PM

They're lots of fun at restaurants. That is, if your sense of fun is a gaggle of shrieking, red hatted fraus annoying everyone within earshot. I've was shocked to find out that a friend from high school is part of this group.

I didn't realize I was that old until then.

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2019 4:40 PM

They base their society on a poem about being individualistic and free to make your own choices, then they all dress the same.

by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2019 4:44 PM

R34 Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2019 4:58 PM

Almost like Ayn Rand writing all of that bullshit for people who want to destroy SS/medicare, meanwhile, Ayn herself was collecting that shit.

by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2019 5:01 PM

My 55 year old sister was lonely and joined a local group. She spent a small fortune on all the red hat crap trying to keep up with the other women. She eventually left the group and said it was like high school and she didn't want to go through that again.

by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2019 5:10 PM

I wish ISIS would regroup for a few last hits.

by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2019 7:56 PM

[quote] They base their society on a poem about being individualistic and free to make your own choices, then they all dress the same.

As I read the poem, it’s more about letting go of societal constraints, not necessarily about being individualistic, although I can see it’s somewhat related. But, being free from setting an example for your children, is more about the freedom that comes with age. Wisdom, experience, and “I don’t give a fuck”, come with age. I think that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 39November 12, 2019 8:02 PM

I have a tam o' shanter on a closet shelf. Do you think they would let me play too?

by Anonymousreply 40November 12, 2019 8:07 PM

They went shopping at Menstrual Hut

by Anonymousreply 41November 12, 2019 8:10 PM

A cousin of mine is a member. She’s very down to earth and this seems like a way for her to have fun when friends are dying or withering away in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 42November 12, 2019 8:10 PM

My stepmother wanted to be one after she survived her first bout with breast cancer, and my dad put his foot down. He said she would look like a nut if she went our dressed like this and would embarrass him.

Then her breast cancer came back and she died; he died ten years later. I never feel sorry she did not get to dress like this. she would have indeed looked like a nut.

by Anonymousreply 43November 12, 2019 8:18 PM

[italic] When I am an old man I shall wear caftans and earrings

With a red sash which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.

And I shall spend my Social Security on bourbon and butt plugs

And Calvin Klein Velcro sneakers, and say we’ve no money for Duke’s mayo.

I shall lounge wherever I damn well please when I’m tired

And gobble up samples in Aldi and press alarm bells

And run my dick along the public railings

And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall flounce about as I please

And pick my nose, though not other people’s noses

And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow even more fat

And eat three pounds of carbs, onion rings, and cake at a go

Or only bread and NO pickles for a week

And hoard pencils for dialing the phone.

But now we must have clothes from Barney’s that keep us dry

And pay our rent and not dare to be too sweet

And set a good example for the chickens.

We must have friends to dinner and keep up on the gossip.

But maybe I ought to practise a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear caftans. [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 44November 12, 2019 8:23 PM

You can imagine what any surviving husbands are up to while this shit is going on...

The husbands must be thrilled to get rid of them.

by Anonymousreply 45November 12, 2019 8:28 PM

A similarly frauey organization is Beta Sigma Phi, a sorority for the postmenopausal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 12, 2019 8:31 PM

I have met some wonderful Red Hats. They didn't wear purple outfits, usually they dressed in all black. Purple hats were for those under 50. The women seemed to be having a wonderful time going to events as a group, perfect for the recently widowed although most were still married.

Thanks to DL I now understand why so many women's groups are a total turn-off. Can't understand the need to be catty and to backbite.

by Anonymousreply 47November 12, 2019 8:47 PM

It’s enough to make me dislike the Color Purple.

by Anonymousreply 48November 12, 2019 8:52 PM

Those women are all hat and no cattle.

by Anonymousreply 49November 12, 2019 8:53 PM

I am laughing so hard right now. Bless you, R44.

by Anonymousreply 50November 12, 2019 8:53 PM

Frau lives matter!

by Anonymousreply 51November 12, 2019 9:03 PM

Ladies in Red can be dangerous - just ask Dillinger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 12, 2019 9:57 PM

My mother was a Red Hat Lady for about a year. We encouraged her to do so after my father died -- it would be a way to hang out with other seniors her age. She had been an active League of Women Voters person in the Sixties and we thought it might be the same types of women (30 and 40 years older). How wrong we were.

Mom grew tired of dealing with the women carrying on about the same issues/problems (much of it about the lack of finding suitable men in their 60s and 70s to date). The RHLs only lunched only at places that served chicken salad and sweet tea, and spent too much time arranging for convertibles to ride in the plethora of small town parades. She was hoping to find like-minded women with whom to do community service, go to the movies, or check out ethnic restaurants. This was not that group.

by Anonymousreply 53November 12, 2019 9:57 PM

R44 for DL president.

by Anonymousreply 54November 12, 2019 10:38 PM

[quote]They went shopping at Menstrual Hut

Wishing they still were menstrual and had all of their hormones. Menopause ain't for sissies.

by Anonymousreply 55November 12, 2019 10:42 PM

'Funny how we have thread after thread of guys here claiming how lonely they are. Yet here are people DOING something about it, instead of just bitching.'

No, they're not lonely. They enjoy getting together, trying to outdo one another with their clothes and jewellery, running others down, talking about people. looking down their noses at people. gossiping, bitching and whinging, exerting their assumed superiority, so yes, they're like DListers, but they are NOT lonely, they have husbands and families and grandkids and friends, they just want to be cunts.

DlListers are cunts because they are lonely and have had shitty lives and most likely because they've been discriminated against. Red Hat ladies are elitist, privileged, mostly white and mostly moneyed bitches.They are NOT lonely or disadvantaged in ANY way.

by Anonymousreply 56November 13, 2019 4:55 AM

I met 3 of them at Thanksgiving a few years back. All of them were complete and total alcoholics.

by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2019 4:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!