Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

13 California Cities Have Begun Banning All New Home Gas Hookups

Fix global warming or cook dinner on a gas stove? That’s the choice for people in 13 cities and one county in California that have enacted new zoning codes encouraging or requiring all-electric new construction. The codes, most of them passed since June, are meant to keep builders from running natural gas lines to new homes and apartments, with an eye toward creating fewer legacy gas hookups as the nation shifts to carbon-neutral energy sources.

For proponents, it’s a change that must be made to fight climate change. For natural gas companies, it’s a threat to their existence. And for some cooks who love to prepare food with flame, it’s an unthinkable loss. Natural gas is a fossil fuel, mostly methane, and produces 33% of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions from electricity generation, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Carbon dioxide is the primary greenhouse gas causing climate change.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 18, 2019 1:27 AM

Canvas bags, electric stoves, sippy cups instead of straws. Being green is not sexy. I don't care how much they push it.

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2019 8:49 PM

Solar power is the only way.

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2019 8:56 PM

I don't know about California, but where I live, no one has electric heat and most stoves, dryers, water heaters are gas. Electric is like 4-5 times more expensive that gas.

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2019 8:57 PM

What the ever lovin’ fuck?! I hate dumbass environmentalists who are hell bent on making life harder. None of these asinine measures will save the planet because 95% of the world’s population would never subscribe to such extreme measures. I’m happy to recycle, use less water (though I will flush every time no matter what), but no gas stove or oven? Fuck that! Of course, Berkeley led the way. Maybe they should do something about their street-shitting, drug-addicted, aggressive hobos rather than someone who wants a gas oven.

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2019 8:58 PM

I live in California and have all gas appliances: water heater, furnace, range, dryer. Also a gas fireplace (which can burn wood as well and gas stub on my patio for a grill hookup (which I don't use.) Gas is VERY common in California. And burning gas to create heat is a much more efficient use of energy (and thus much less expensive) than using electricity for the same application.

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 1:41 AM

Fuck that. I love my gas stove.

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 1:44 AM

Another reason to hate California

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 10:02 AM

How many restaurants have electric stoves? You need FIRE to cook properly, dammit.

I don’t care about hot water heaters or clothes dryers, but my food needs a flame.

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 10:36 AM

Why do all the trees in Nevada lean to the west? Because California sucks!

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 10:43 AM

California has passed laws that affect Californians in those 13 cities, not you dumbasses in other states weighing in here, feeling affronted.

Yet another reason to hate dumbass dimwits.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 10:49 AM

One of the biggest problems with natural gas is storage. We need it and most of our gas comes as a byproduct of petroleum drilling. We have so much of it, we can't store it, so we have to sell it.

This drives the price down and makes it even more attractive.

Same thing with helium.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 2:04 PM

I have a cheap camping butane gas stove I use for wok cooking. I recommend them highly.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 2:40 PM

[quote]I don’t care about hot water heaters or clothes dryers, but my food needs a flame.

OK, Flamer.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 2:43 PM

This is odd. Natural gas is cleaner than oil, also used. It’s touted as a “bridge to renewables”. It’s cheap. I pay about as much as I did 25 years ago, due to fracking. My Mom’s electric stove, was notorious, within the family, for not being able to cook a certain holiday side dish we serve. It couldn’t get hot enough. I love my gas appliances and heat.

I’m In Massachusetts.

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 2:43 PM

[quote]What the ever lovin’ fuck?! I hate dumbass environmentalists who are hell bent on making life harder. None of these asinine measures will save the planet because 95% of the world’s population would never subscribe to such extreme measures.

Especially because the US is doing very well with their environment initiatives. It's China and India that are putting out more pollution than everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 2:45 PM

And now home prices and apartment rentals in California will go up even higher to comply with yet another regulation,

And they wonder why there are thousands of homeless people camped out on the sidewalks.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 2:46 PM

Because gas is so cheap now and for the foreseeable future, a lot of electric generating plants have switched to gas.

Electricity has to be created somehow. Unless it’s nuclear or hydro, it’s probably created by gas. Weren’t there electricity shortages in CA and elsewhere, due to summer under-capacity? Who needs to worry about that? Upgrade the grid, then call me! Not that I’ll answer, as I like my gas!

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 2:47 PM

I also love my gas clothes dryer. In my condo, gas is a common expense, so it costs me next to nothing for toasty clothes. An electric dryer would probably be expensive to run, as I pay electric entirely by myself. And electric just doesn’t get hot enough.

So, I want to keep my dryer. And, it’s 25 years old and never needed servicing! Good old Kenmore!

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 2:52 PM

This sentence is false as it stated about storage:

"We have so much of it, we can't store it, so we have to sell it."

My uncle makes good money leasing a salt dome on his property for natural gas storage.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 4:20 PM

Thank God for Environmentalist! They have saved our lives. There are no better heroes than people who strive to protect our planet...protecting us from poison. Fools who can not grasp that should be forced into a vat of chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 4:25 PM

Cooking on an electric stove is just awful. The food even tastes terrible

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 4:48 PM

I honestly had no idea the shift towards natural gas was bad for the environment

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 4:49 PM

Does anyone have an induction range? Does it cook wel and get hot enough?

I was thinking on getting one when I remodel my kitchen

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 4:50 PM

R14 your mother had a shitty stove.

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 4:52 PM

Environmentalists never think about the poor. People are struggling as it is and you have to go and make everything more expensive.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 4:55 PM

All this is just rearranging the deck chairs.

The hand wringing about how this will hurt the poor is absurd. Poor people will get hit first and worst by climate change.

There is no solution at this point, only mitigation of damages.

by Anonymousreply 26November 13, 2019 1:01 PM

[quote] Cooking on an electric stove is just awful. The food even tastes terrible

I'm sorry, but that is one of the most ridiculous statements ever written on this board.

by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2019 3:09 PM

R24, that’s true, but it always added excitement and daring to the challenge of making potato balls; and whether they would hold together, or disintegrate into what would then be served as potato soup.

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2019 3:16 PM

Someone here really loves their electric stove. That’s cool, man.

But please show me a restaurant kitchen that uses electric ranges for making their food. I don’t mean Panera, where they use microwaves to heat up their bags of soup. I mean a real cook’s/chef’s kitchen.

I mean, you can cut most food with a plastic knife, too.

by Anonymousreply 29November 13, 2019 3:18 PM

[quote] R22: I honestly had no idea the shift towards natural gas was bad for the environment

Well, natural gas is talked about as a “bridge” to renewables. Of course, at some point, you have to cross that bridge, if that is your intention. I suppose that these CA towns decided that this is the time to cross. I’m not defending them, just explaining.

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2019 3:19 PM

Having taken the Boris bait...

It's Cali. Sometimes it leads, sometimes it steps in bum shit while excruciatingly high.

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2019 3:25 PM

[quote] Same thing with helium.

Oh bullshit r11.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2019 4:03 PM

[quote]There is no solution at this point, only mitigation of damages.

Which is why I'm glad I'm old.

by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2019 4:06 PM

r19

You're uncle is storing a tiny bit of the overall product. The vast majority of gas and helium cannot be stored, so it's sold and it drives down the price.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2019 4:20 PM

This is why he won

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2019 4:27 PM

TRhey elected these people . Elections have consequences

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2019 4:29 PM

Does gas affect wildfires? Do homes explode when they burn, making wildfires worse?

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2019 4:32 PM

I thought we we running out of helium.

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2019 4:34 PM

I've never lived in a home with gas. It's very uncommon where I live. I would be terrified of a leak or explosion.

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2019 4:36 PM

I live in the Hamptons and every year we have a house explode because some contractor’s worker was either doing renovations or tearing down a house and didn’t properly turn off the gas.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2019 4:39 PM

[quote]And electric just doesn’t get hot enough.

That's baloney. We have an electric dryer, and the clothes get dry.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2019 4:56 PM

My partner and I do all our cooking with electric now. We use an Instant Pot, an Oster convection toaster/oven, a coffee maker and a microwave oven. We haven't turned on the regular stove or regular oven at all this year. I even bake bread in the Oster oven. Once in a while we grill outdoors, and the grill has one of those small propane tanks. Other than that, we're all electric now. The Instant Pot can be used for satueeing, boiling, steaming, pressure cooking or slow cooking and it is our appliance of choice for most things.

by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2019 5:03 PM

I posted a comment on JMG's post that when we buy our home the plan is solar and a natural gas fired generator.

And to the poster who brought up the fact that electricity is more expensive. I moved from the northeast U.S. served by National Grid - they charged, get this 22 cents a kWh when you took the total amount of bill and divided by the number of kW used. Down here in Dekalb County GA it's 12 cents. Yeah, we were getting screwed in the northeast.

by Anonymousreply 43November 16, 2019 5:12 PM

I don't get why gas stoves are used in the US. Here in Norway we use electric stoves, they work fine.

by Anonymousreply 44November 16, 2019 7:53 PM

I had gas in my apt in NYC but electric here in my house. I don’t see what the big deal is with gas

by Anonymousreply 45November 16, 2019 7:54 PM

We get 98 % of our power from hydro btw.

by Anonymousreply 46November 16, 2019 7:54 PM

Induction is the future. Catch the vision.

by Anonymousreply 47November 18, 2019 1:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!