Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hockey Commentator Fired for Calling Immigrants “You People”

Saying they weren’t paying respect to veterans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 14, 2019 1:39 PM

That old piece of shit has been around forever. He is always saying something offensive and always gets away with it. His fans will demand his return and he will be returned.

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2019 8:48 PM

His outfit is painful to look at

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2019 8:54 PM

Whoa. He got fired? This is a big deal (only to Canadians, admittedly). This guy is a cultural icon but I do think it's been obvious for years now that sooner or later he was going to say something that basically forced them to fire him.

Also he's famous for his extremely loud suits, R2. It's his "thing."

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2019 8:55 PM

I'm seeing comments on Twitter comparing this to Trudeau's black face incidences. Saying you can't forgive one without forgiving the other.

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2019 8:56 PM

What a dick move, though. Immigrants really are the most convenient scapegoats. In general I find recent immigrants much more enthused about Canada and being Canadian than born-here Canadians like me. The vast majority of them didn't come here because they think Canada sucks and want to disrespect our way of life. ffs.

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2019 8:57 PM

R4 Difference is Cherry's standing by his comments. He's not even wrong with what he says about it not being Coach's Corner if he has to constantly watch what he says. But Coach's Corner, i think, already lasted way beyond what anyone thought it would, probably because dude is super old and a lot of us are kinda overly forgiving like he's our racist uncle who's otherwise ok sorta thing.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2019 9:00 PM

Don Cherry is a disgusting piece of shit. He made fun of a hockey player who was molested as a young boy by his coach. Cheery dropped out of school in 8th grade and it shows. A complete and utter sack of shit. Hope he dies soon.

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2019 9:33 PM

I'm glad this happened, not so much that I wanted somebody fired but the message it sends. For decades, the masculine, homophobic bro culture has been excused and upheld in Canada. This is a lesson that that ideology is crumbling.

Cherry is completely wrong. I see plenty of white people in Toronto not wearing poppies.

I think in a sense he wanted all of this to happen and he knew it was going to happen.

My only wish is that overpaid jackass Ron MacLean goes with him.

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 1:16 AM

Man that was really nice. I thought I was going to hear some Michael Richards type meltdown. I think our "President" has said 1000x worse.

Even the bigots are more polite in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 1:40 AM

Do Canadian DLers wear poppies when they leave the house?

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 1:43 AM

I'm surprised they actually did that -- usually they have made excuses for him in the past since he's an 85-year old "legend" in Canadian hockey circles.

Cherry has always been a supporter of the Conservative Party.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 1:43 AM

WTF? Everyone is offended.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 1:46 AM

Actually, I was out walking around yesterday in downtown Toronto and it was nice seeing people of all colour wearing poppies. Okay, not everyone wears one - I haven't seen as many places selling them this year as I have in others. (That could be because they've been the target of theft - people stealing money that goes to help veterans? Classy.

R10 - I wear mine proudly. The reactions it gets from Americans or in other parts of the world can be interesting. Some ask what it means, some have heard but never seen one (and get oddly excited about it), and the design is slightly different than in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 1:48 AM

As if an 85-year old, ESPECIALLY, Don Cherry gives a shit about being fired by Sportsnet. He will move to Rebel Media and go full blast on liberals.

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 1:49 AM

[quote]I'm seeing comments on Twitter comparing this to Trudeau's black face incidences. Saying you can't forgive one without forgiving the other.

What they leave out is:

1. Trudeau apologized several times; Cherry did not.

2. Trudeau has a history of being pro-immigration; Cherry has a history of insensitive comments.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 1:49 AM

OMG, I say "you people" all the time at work. Usually, it's directed without any malice, but they people are Mexican, Vietnamese, Jewish, and old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 1:56 AM

Why I Won't Wear A Red Poppy By Deidre Hall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 1:59 AM

What’s up with the poppies?

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 2:06 AM

Interesting point, R4.

BTW, has Jagmeet shed any tears over Cherry's comments yet?

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 2:08 AM

What was up his ass?

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 2:14 AM

[quote]What’s up with the poppies?

They're a reference to the poppies in Flanders Fields during World War 1.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 2:17 AM

Isn’t “Canadian War Hero” an oxymoron?

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 2:19 AM

An old fart past his prime.

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 2:24 AM

Cherry is an ass. He manufactures controversy to get p.r. and ratings by cynically staging his super-patriot poppy offensive, but forgets that the poppies are not only a symbol of remembrance of veterans and their sacrifices, but also of what they fought for, including the freedom to wear or not wear poppies and to remember and commemorate publicly or privately when and how one chooses. His racist xenophobia is, of course, at odds with what the poppies really mean, but for him they are simply a prop he can use to foment hate.

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 2:40 AM

Don Cherry's weaponization of poppy dangerously perverts Canada's national identity

Cherry has selfishly made this Remembrance Day about him instead of the veterans

Nov 11, 2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 3:20 AM

Don Cherry's weaponization of poppy dangerously perverts Canada's national identity

Cherry has selfishly made this Remembrance Day about him instead of the veterans

Nov 11, 2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 3:29 AM

What an asshole! It must be very difficult to live with a very opinionated old asshole.

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 3:50 PM

I hate Don Cherry because he has been promoting a violent and aggressive style for hockey for decades. All the asshole parents that couches and refs have to deal with are a direct result of his opinions and ideas.

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 11:10 PM

Idiot. I'm white, not an immigrant to Canada, and I don't wear a poppy and haven't for years. He'd never single someone like me out though because I suppose I look "old stock" enough for him. I hate hockey, it's a toxic sport, and I hate Don Cherry and I hate the militarization of sports. I make a conscious decision not to wear a poppy and that is my right as a Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 11:24 PM

What the fuck is a poppy?

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2019 11:33 PM

It seems like a lot of hockey people are Cons - Don Cherry, Wayne Gretzky, Theo Fleury. Most hockey fans are also deplorables, so I'm kind of surprised that Sportsnet actually canned Cherry.

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2019 11:34 PM

Yeah, R31, it's disappointing that Gretzky is a Conservative. He was a big Harper supporter.

Theo Fleury seems somewhat unhinged and has been posting nasty stuff about Trudeau all year.

Another hockey player, Angelo Esposito, ran for the Conservatives in Montreal last month -- he ended up losing to the incumbent Liberal MP.

by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2019 11:39 PM

The only progressive hockey player I can think of is Ken Dryden.

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2019 11:41 PM

Yes, R33 - Dryden was a Liberal MP in Toronto for several terms.

by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2019 11:44 PM

Ken Dryden is a Cornell alum...

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2019 11:46 PM

Frank Mahovlich was a Liberal-appointed Senator. And he did play left wing.

by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2019 11:47 PM

Georges Laraque was a Deputy Leader of the Green Party for a few years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2019 11:48 PM

I hope DL fave bubble butt Sidney Crosby isn't a Conservative.

by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2019 11:49 PM

And a lawyer. And also one of the most successful hockey players of all time. I hate hockey but it'd be awesome if he took Cherry's job. He's so polar opposite, that'd probably kill Cherry - which would be a good thing. I know next to nothing about hockey, but I do remember the image of Dryden standing at the net, leaning on his stick.

You know he is, R38. He's dumb as wood and a hoser. He also had no issue visiting Trump a couple of years back. What does that tell you??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 12, 2019 11:51 PM

Sidney met with Trump? Was this after he became President?

by Anonymousreply 40November 13, 2019 12:06 AM

Yes, R40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 13, 2019 12:14 AM

A bunch of Canadian racists are complaining on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 42November 13, 2019 12:18 AM

I wish I hadn't found out that fact about Gretzky, R31 and R32. :(

by Anonymousreply 43November 13, 2019 12:36 AM

That's why I dislike hockey too. It's violent, encourages aggression, so many players are conservative and homophobic and that toxic bro culture is celebrated here in Canada. I've had to deal with it over 40 years so I am glad that Cherry's firing is sending a message to these "bros" that their ideology is crumbling.

That was the great thing about the Raptors winning earlier this year. You saw people from all different backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, ages, etc. enjoying the win.

I dread when The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup again (IF they ever win again), it's just going to be toxic males losing their shit.

by Anonymousreply 44November 13, 2019 12:47 AM

[quote]I wish I hadn't found out that fact about Gretzky, [R31] and [R32]. :(

Yeah, unfortunately Gretzky has been endorsing the Conservatives for years.

Here he is with Scheer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 13, 2019 12:50 AM

And here he is with Harper:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 13, 2019 12:52 AM

Cherry's brother approves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 13, 2019 1:35 AM

No surprise with Gretzky. He helped raise that dumbass daughter of his.

by Anonymousreply 48November 13, 2019 2:22 AM

Oh, God, Cherry's actually losing it. First he stood by what he said, then he said he should have worded his statement differently, and today he's on Tucker Carlson. FFS, this guy needs to fuck off and take his military worship with him. We're not the States.

by Anonymousreply 49November 13, 2019 2:29 AM

[QUOTE] This is a big deal (only to Canadians, admittedly).

So then it’s not a big deal, at all.

by Anonymousreply 50November 13, 2019 2:35 AM

Who is this COLONEL SANDERS?

by Anonymousreply 51November 13, 2019 2:36 AM

The first thing he does after getting fired is... run to Tucker Carlson?

Some loyal Canadian he is.

by Anonymousreply 52November 13, 2019 2:38 AM

He's a right wing loon, R52. Of course he ran to Fox. He considers anyone who believes in climate change a "cuckaloo," and "pinko commies."

by Anonymousreply 53November 13, 2019 2:47 AM

He's also made disparaging comments about French men and said they are too effeminate to play hockey. As you can imagine, the commentators in Quebec are happy today that he's been given the boot.

by Anonymousreply 54November 13, 2019 5:46 AM

He doesn't give a shit. He loathes snowflakes, and tells it like it is. You can't hurt a 86 year old with nothing left to prove.

by Anonymousreply 55November 13, 2019 7:12 AM

Here's a screencap from his Tucker Carlson appearance:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 13, 2019 8:15 AM

To prove he loves Canada he ran to a US right wing show to trash Canada.

For a guy who says he loves Canada and loves to pop off I find it funny that Cherry sat there silently while Tucker called Canadians fascists.

by Anonymousreply 57November 13, 2019 1:10 PM

[quote]He's also made disparaging comments about French men and said they are too effeminate to play hockey.

He has similar attitudes towards European-born players, because they're less willing to drop the gloves and scrap during games.

by Anonymousreply 58November 14, 2019 3:24 AM

Cherry could start a new career as a pimp, he already has the wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 59November 14, 2019 3:47 AM

Most hockey players--pro and amateur--are no longer interested in Cherry's style of play. Like one former player said, hockey has moved on and Don can't handle that.

by Anonymousreply 60November 14, 2019 1:27 PM

and at night he dreams of succulent BBC.

by Anonymousreply 61November 14, 2019 1:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!