Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

GAP CEO Steps Down Unexpectedly!

Art Peck, who has been the chief executive of Gap Inc. since 2015, is leaving the company after 15 years and will be replaced on an interim basis by Robert J. Fisher, its nonexecutive chairman and a son of the couple who founded the retailer.

Gap, which also owns Banana Republic and Old Navy, did not provide any details of the departure or a statement from Mr. Peck in a release on Thursday. The company also cut its outlook for the third quarter and the year, citing slower traffic and issues with its products and operations.

Mr. Peck was tapped for the chief executive role after serving as Gap’s digital chief. He was charged with ushering the major operator of mall stores into the era of digital commerce, as browsing on smartphones and computers replaced visits to stores. But it has been a challenge to revive sales at the company’s flagship brands, especially Gap and Banana Republic, and strike the right balance between its digital properties, full-price stores and outlet locations.

The company’s biggest transformation under Mr. Peck is not yet complete, making his departure surprising. He said this year that Gap would spin off Old Navy into a separate public company in a transaction that is expected to close next year. Gap would retain its existing brands, as well as Athleta, Intermix and its newer Hill City brand.

At the time, Mr. Peck called the split an opportunity “to write the next chapter for specialty retail.”

Shares of the company had fallen about 30 percent this year. They were down about 5 percent more in after-hours trading on Thursday.

Gap, which is based in San Francisco, said Mr. Peck would leave after a “brief transition.”

Mr. Fisher said in the statement that under Mr. Peck, Gap had made progress in areas like “expanding the omni-channel customer experience and building our digital capabilities.”

“As the board evaluates potential successors, our focus will be on strong leadership candidates with operational excellence to drive greater efficiency, speed and profitability,” Mr. Fisher said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2019 11:37 AM

Old Navy may not be spinning off after all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 10, 2019 11:19 PM

Shady. But afraid they are doomed regardless. Right after Sears and JC Penney.

by Anonymousreply 2November 10, 2019 11:21 PM

[quote]With Peck’s abrupt departure, analysts are doubting a looming split of Old Navy and Gap will go through, especially with the Old Navy brand in such poor shape.

[quote]Gap shares were down around 7% by Friday morning, shaving more than $450 million off the retailer’s market cap from Thursday. The stock as of Thursday’s market close had tumbled nearly 30% this year.

Old Navy is in poor shape??? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3November 10, 2019 11:21 PM

I haven't been paying attention, but apparently Old Navy has been losing steam.

Delicious!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 10, 2019 11:24 PM

15 years is a pretty long run for CEO these days.

Every Old Navy I've been to recently (yes I occassionally drop in) is packed with moms and grandmas buying cheap clothes for their husbands and families. They better split off now while they still have some traction, before they go down with the ship.

by Anonymousreply 5November 10, 2019 11:30 PM

well damn, I misread. He's only been CEO since '15.

by Anonymousreply 6November 10, 2019 11:31 PM

R5, Art Peck was CEO for four years. He was with Gap, Inc. for fifteen years.

Gap has not had a CEO with vision and drive since Mickey Drexler. >sigh<

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 10, 2019 11:33 PM

R5, you also missed the article where it said Old Navy is sinking and might need to stick with the rest of the company, because it's looking like it might sink on its own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 10, 2019 11:35 PM

Gap has been lost stylewise for the better part of 20 years, and Old Navy has lost its sheen as a cheap alternative with a long list of alternatives (including Uniqlo) competing for the same market.

by Anonymousreply 9November 10, 2019 11:39 PM

There is something very odd with such a sudden departure with no explanation.

Financial markets abhor uncertainty. It must be something pretty severe for them to risk such an unexpected change with no explanation.

Either he's ill, but the disease is one he would not want to make public for personal reasons, or he's a criminal and has done something very illegal.

by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2019 12:17 AM

I don't know anyone who shops/buys from The Gap. Most of the people I work with shop at Old Navy for their kids. A lot of the women are planning to go Black Friday shopping at Old Navy

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2019 12:38 AM

They always played the worst music in their "stores." Good riddance to bad rubbish!

by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2019 1:26 AM

Agree R10. Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2019 7:13 AM

This is very intriguing...

by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2019 11:19 AM

Gap used to be a go-to spot in the 90s for cute entry-level career clothes. Then they bought Banana Republic and suddenly all those types of clothes went there, with considerable mark-up. The cheap jeans and t-shirts went to Old Navy, and what was left in-between? Nothing much. That's why Gap hasn't had a strong brand identity in two decades: They gave their two identifiable niches to their subsidiary companies. I never understood why they did that, as Banana Republic had its own unique identity when they bought it, which they promptly destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2019 11:47 AM

Banana Republic seems just like a more expensive version of the Gap - same clothes, but marginally better fabrics. The problem with the Gap is they have the same clothes they had 15-20 years ago. I cruised their website the other day and it looked like they never kept up with any trends or evolved their brand at all. Same old plaids and khakis.

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2019 12:00 PM

Was this a MeToo thing?

I bet he fell into someone's Gap!

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2019 12:04 PM

[quote]Either he's ill, but the disease is one he would not want to make public for personal reasons, or he's a criminal and has done something very illegal.

I think they say the stepping down CEO would leave after a brief transition phase. So the resignation maybe related to illness. I cannot see keeping him for one more minutes if he had to step down for criminal charges.

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2019 12:15 PM

I haven't been inside a GAP for years!

by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2019 12:56 PM

Does Old Navy still advertise? They used to have those kitschy commercials with the likes of Tina Fey etc, and it seems like I haven't seen one of those for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2019 1:07 PM

Two points strike me about this situation.

Gap has had a string of CEOs over the past 20 years - many of whom were jettisoned after "disagreements" with the founding family. I didn't realize they exerted that much control over an ostensibly publicly traded company.

Also, this particular CEO got rid of the Chief Creative Officers of the various brands. Beyond the shift toward a faster supply chain that is able to respond quickly to clothing trends at very low prices (like an H&M, albeit with poor quality), Gap companies have lagged significantly in both a definitive style for the brands AND style trends.

The styles across all brands have been somewhat stagnant for years.

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2019 3:31 PM

1998 was the highest of highs at GAP!

Such a fantastic year with such great merchandise!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2019 10:01 PM

Gap used to be really cool.

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2019 10:26 PM

Old Navy - I'm MAD for the STYLE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2019 10:33 PM

"Darling, it's a fashion dynasty!" (1998)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2019 10:36 PM

Any updates?

by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2019 5:24 PM

R18 ok, so it’s probably not a Matt Lauer type of thing; where I pressed the remote control door lock button on my desk and trapped you in my office and proceeded to rip off your moist panties and mount you from behind. Good to know.

by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2019 6:36 PM

Peck had a pecker problem?

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2019 8:30 PM

"Does Old Navy still advertise? They used to have those kitschy commercials with the likes of Tina Fey etc, and it seems like I haven't seen one of those for a few years."

Old Navy now features DL fave Neil Patrick Harris desperately trying to resuscitate his DOA career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2019 8:54 PM

Did they find out he's the tiresome DL Gap Playlist Troll?

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2019 8:59 PM

Your question makes no sense, R30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2019 9:56 PM

With a pervert name like Art Peck you know there are pervert reasons.

by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2019 9:59 PM

I’m appalled at what these companies (BR, Gap, ON) are charging for their shoddy schmattas.

Gap used to be quality. It’s expensive for what it is. Old Navy is shameless. If you get the stuff on clearance, maybe you’ll get your money’s worth.

by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2019 10:28 PM

I worked for B*nana R*public for almost a decade. The company is in shambles and is struggling to stay relevant. Its full of conservative trump boomers who have worked there for decades trying to thrive in a famously liberal company that now has to cater to millenials and gen z-ers and its driving them insane. Also, they owe me thousands of dollars worth of unpaid overtime

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2019 9:44 AM

R34, the last time I was in there, I was shocked at how the quality has gone downhill. The designs were okay, but the execution was abysmal.

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2019 11:04 PM

Check out the Gap In-Store Playlists from 1999, the last truly spectacular year for Gap as far as sales go.

Great music from 1992 to 2006, though!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2019 11:08 PM

The November/December 2005 Gap In-Store Playlist is one of the best!

Check it out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2019 11:21 AM

Thanks for the insights. 90s Gap was brilliant; Banana Republic and Old Navy have also had their eras. Now t-shirts at the Gap seem to be made as shapeless as possible, and with the most see-through fabric; and at Old Navy the quality has finally caught up (down?) with the bargain prices.

What are the equivalents to 90s Gap now? J. Crew? H&M? Or are all the chain stores going down the tubes as the masses have decreasing buying power and executives demand ever fatter profits?

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2019 11:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!