Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Andre Aciman casually mentions he's sexually attracted to 12 year old girls

Here's the relevant portion of the interview on June 13, 2019 in a Spanish newspaper, translated to English: "eC: In relation to that, there is a story in 'Enigma Variations' about a 12-year-old boy discovering himself sexually through his desire for an older boy. Of course, nothing happens between them, but don't you worry that it can be misunderstood? Aciman : No, I don't care. The other day, talking with a friend, I told him "I see 12-year-old girls and I already find them attractive," and he told me, "Me too, but you can't talk about it." And I replied, "No, never." Because if you talk about it, you're almost guilty of it. I do not commit the act, but you have no idea of ​​the scabrous and disgusting ideas that come to our minds. How is it possible that he thought of something like that? But it is what happens in our mind. One of the things I do in my prose is to allow the reader to feel that he can undo the taboos and realize that, if I can talk about the peach, it is because you have a peach in your life. You have also done something that crazy. And if you haven't done it, what kind of human being are you? We all explore in life."

How can he not see that a peach is not in the same category as a little girl? I'm stunned and horrified and surprised more people aren't talking about this. I did not see an earlier thread on DL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2019 8:26 PM

Let's not get him cancelled I want the sequel

by Anonymousreply 1November 10, 2019 8:35 PM

Well, he almost just killed the movie for me. Thankfully, I like it for other reasons that don't involve the main romantic plot.

On the other hand, I too have tabooish – sometimes even criminal – sexual thoughts now and then, which I will never, ever act on. So... I can kinda see where he's coming from. Yes, it's gross, but the human brain is gross sometimes. What matters at the end of the day are your actions.

by Anonymousreply 2November 10, 2019 8:37 PM

I don't know but didn't the book Lolita touch upon this?

They should talk about how it's not ok to take advantage of a child. What makes me want to throw up is Columbus' diary talking about how native girls the age of ten are in demand. Disgusting.

Shockingly, Columbus supervised the selling of native girls into sexual slavery. Young girls of the ages 9 to 10 were the most desired by his men. In 1500, Columbus casually wrote about it in his log. He said: "A hundred castellanoes are as easily obtained for a woman as for a farm, and it is very general and there are plenty of dealers who go about looking for girls; those from nine to ten are now in demand."

Man should have been shot. All those statues and everything, just no. I piss in the eye of Columbus the pedo terrorist.

by Anonymousreply 3November 10, 2019 8:42 PM

My god, what a fucking creep.

by Anonymousreply 4November 10, 2019 8:45 PM

Armie's ass is the real peach here.

by Anonymousreply 5November 10, 2019 8:46 PM

As a general rule, what people actually do in private, is about 100x worse than what they admit to in public.

by Anonymousreply 6November 10, 2019 11:33 PM

I find this distasteful. He's like fucking sixty, and has kids of his own.

That said, a passing attraction isn't what leads to sexual abuse or exploitation.

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2019 4:00 AM

Put him in jail for thoughtcrime!!

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2019 4:02 AM

r3, I wholeheartedly agree!

Explorers from over five hundred years ago MUST BE STOPPED RIGHT NOW!

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2019 4:05 AM

Pedophiles can't help what they're attracted to, the same way gay people can't help it. As long as they never act on it then I wish them well, in fact I feel sorry for them. The thing is, morals go out the window when men are horny- no matter how normal and nice they seem, or how fucked up the act is, they will still risk it all to get off sexually. So there's nothing else to do then to lock them up IMO.

by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2019 4:11 AM

Fuck him and his pedo crap

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2019 7:25 AM

In the novel Aciman's Elio was 17yr and Oliver was 24yr. Guadagnino's casting of physically imposing 32yr Hammer drastically altered the visual dynamic of his film.It created a Lolitaesque vibe to the relationship which the book never had. Easy target for the "you're a pedo mob" Casting is all. That being said, Nabakov's Lolita was not a 12 year old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2019 8:07 AM

[quote]That being said, Nabakov's Lolita was not a 12 year old

How so?

by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2019 3:15 PM

12 year olds aren't 16 year olds, 12 year olds are really young, and still look very young. Just started puberty.

by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2019 3:22 PM

Yes we need to take down the statues that celebrate terrorist, tyrant, massacring, child raping explorers. "It was a long time ago, let it go" isn't cutting it. It's about denouncing ugly parts of history and not sanctioning them for the future.

So that people like op don't think it's appropriate. We really need treatment for pedophiles. There needs to be effective treatment.

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2019 8:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!