Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peninsula

A peninsula (Latin: paeninsula from paene "almost” and insula "island") is a landform surrounded by water on the majority of its border while being connected to a mainland from which it extends

The surrounding water is usually understood to be continuous, though not necessarily named as a single body of water. Peninsulas are not always named as such; one can also be referred to as a headland, cape, island promontory, bill, point, fork, or spit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2019 8:50 PM

OP, you post is peninsular tedium projecting into a sea of mediocrity.

At least you avoided an exegesis on isthmi.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 1November 10, 2019 2:35 PM

Are there docks on either side in the case of this particular peninsula? In other words, is it cheaper to go around it than it is to unload cargo at one end, transport it across dry land, and then load it up again on the other side? Or does the upper East coast siphon off much of the shipping industry?

Sorry, my geography is pretty shit when it comes to the US.

by Anonymousreply 2November 10, 2019 2:49 PM

So therefore "penis" means "almost is?"

by Anonymousreply 3November 10, 2019 2:55 PM

Ok. I'll bite. Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat in the Côte d'Azur is perhaps the toniest, most exclusive peninsula in the world. King Leopold II of Belgium, Baroness de Rothschild, Charlie Chaplin, Rainier III, David Niven, Somerset Maugham, Jean Cocteau, etc., all had villas there. Today it's probably all rich Russians and Arabs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 10, 2019 3:45 PM

r2

Historically that is an important question. One of the biggest issues of building a canal through Thailand is it would leave Singapore out in the cold, historically Singapore is the largest transhipment port.

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2019 9:30 PM

Florida: cut or intact?

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2019 9:42 PM

R2, Miami is one of the biggest ports in the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2019 10:11 PM

Miami is #10. It is odd, at the end of a peninsula, but it’s probably a vestige.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2019 10:13 PM

Long Island had a newly completed nuclear power plant. When it went for certification to open, a Judge said its evacuation plan was insufficient. Think, half the island would have to pass by the plant to evacuate! The plant never opened and was mothballed. The screw-up cost $ billions, literally. Don’t tell Trump , he’ll open it.

Is it really an island? It looks more like a peninsula.

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2019 10:19 PM

Baja California is the coolest peninsula. A beauty to drive through as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2019 10:32 PM

There’s already been a thread on this OP. Would it have killed you to have done a search first before you posted this? I mean really? What’s wrong with having a little consideration for others and doing a search first? Would it really have been that hard? Would it?

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 12:36 AM

In the summer I drive down the Massachusetts peninsula called Cape Cod.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 12:48 AM

R9, The East River renders Long Island an island.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 1:07 AM

The part of the San Francisco Peninsula known as "The Peninsula" is not the toniest or coolest, but we do have elderly women who are allowed to drive around in full-face visors, hats with hanging curtains on the sides, and long veils covering their eyes while they hold up a magazine or piece of cardboard to block out the remaining particles of sunlight that could possibly get through. Sometimes they go all out and just cover all of their windows with bath towels.

Top that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 1:30 AM

Attached is the difference between a cape and a peninsula. I don’t think Florida is really a peninsula. i think it’s too large. I think it’s just part of the continent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 3:15 AM

^ Peninsula. envy.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 3:50 AM

May I take a moment to write about an isthmus? A few years ago, they completed a huge project where they dug another canal through Panama. It can accommodate larger ships, wider, longer, deeper draft. Possibly the largest construction project at its time.

The biggest ships were having to go around South America, and Panama also risked losing out to a neighboring country. As a result, cities all over the country had to dredge their harbors and rebuild their ports to accommodate the larger ships, or lose out.

There is an environmental impact because Atlantic critters have been spreading into the Pacific, and vice versa, since the canal opened. This new canal does conserve water, and will be better about that kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 5:05 AM

^It’s cool to look at the canal via Google Earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 5:07 AM

A peninsula is what you put in the kitchen when you can't do an island due to space constraints.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 5:08 AM

I don’t come here to learn geography. However, I do like geography. Thanks OP. x

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 5:10 AM

The Delmarva Peninsula is occupied by three US states: [bold]Del[/bold]aware, [bold]Mar[/bold]yland, and [bold]V[/bold]irgini[bold]a[/bold].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 5:20 AM

R17, the Panama Canal is definitely worth visiting -- a marvel of engineering.

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 5:51 AM

I've always wanted to visit the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In particular Isle Royale National Park -- the least visited national park in the continental US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 5:56 AM

I live in Michigan and I have never even been to Michigan's upper peninsula, furthest I have been is Mackinac Island

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 8:57 AM

I want an ithmus for Christmas!

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 9:03 AM

If Florida is a peninsula, then shouldn’t the main body of Michigan also be a peninsula? It’s two peninsulas, cobbled together as a state!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 2:16 PM

The formation of the Great Lakes is fascinating. I forget why 🤔. I do recall that the lake shore is rising, and doing so unevenly. The reason is the glaciers during the last ice age 10,000-15,000 years ago were so heavy, being a mile or perhaps two miles deep, that they depressed the land there, and it is still “springing” back or rebounding. Imagine that!

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 2:21 PM

[quote]shouldn’t the main body of Michigan also be a peninsula? It’s two peninsulas, cobbled together as a state!

Michigan state motto:

"If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you.".

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 2:23 PM

This is interesting. An ice cam broke, 10,000 years ago, releasing fresh water into the Atlantic equal to 7 times the volume of the Great Lakes, over a series of months. It shutdown the ocean’s “conveyor belt” of currents and sent Europe into an ice age.

If Greenland continues to splurge fresh water into the Atlantic due to Climate Change, we’ll ironically get an ice age as a result of warming! And the ocean’s fish will die, whatever. It’s an unpredictable (in detail) mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 2:30 PM

That’s a fine motto, R28.

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2019 2:31 PM

r22 Agreed. I went through it on a cruise a couple of years ago (on Christmas Day, oddly enough) and it was fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2019 2:34 PM

r22

No, that's why I gave it back

by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2019 2:44 PM

Jimmy was derided, but it’s important for the USA to set an example of lawfulness. We’re not Russia!

Likewise, Hong Kong and Macao were given back, regardless of the country the UK was dealing with. Their lease expired, end of story! A deal’s a deal!

Other examples, DataLounge?

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2019 3:46 PM

R24, the upper peninsula looks wild and beautiful. I would love to go on a slow, meandering kayaking trip up there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2019 4:50 PM

Map of the largest peninsulas in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2019 5:16 PM

Why isn’t the tail of South America a peninsula? I think something fishy is going on with the people who decide these things. Or tail of Africa?

by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2019 8:48 PM

R36, the tail of South America is called an icecreamconesula.

by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2019 8:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!