Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My friends just paid $10000 for a couch?!

Is that the normal price nowadays??

I’m going to have to buy a living room set soon and am freaking out that these prices are what I’ll face.

They bought from Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams (what a totally weird name for a store).

Is their furniture really that wonderful?

by Anonymousreply 214November 19, 2019 3:26 PM

Even IKEA isn't cheap these days.

by Anonymousreply 1November 10, 2019 11:59 AM

You didn't tell us anything about it that might justify the price. How many does it seat? Cloth or leather?

by Anonymousreply 2November 10, 2019 12:04 PM

R2, apparently it’s a 5-piece sectional and a leather ottoman/table.

The pictures looks nice but it seems like a standard couch with huge pillows

by Anonymousreply 3November 10, 2019 12:09 PM

I walked into a Bobois Roche furniture store.

The minimum for a couch was $20K. Admittedly the designs were nice but it’s reserved for the wealthy

by Anonymousreply 4November 10, 2019 12:10 PM

Like a lot of things in life, its about how much you want to pay for it. You can spend a small fortune on furniture, or you can get one for 500 bucks from IKEA. Depends on your budget and taste.

by Anonymousreply 5November 10, 2019 12:26 PM

They're fools. The markup on furniture is insanely high (many times in the thousands of percent) and always has been. That $10,000.00 sofa probably cost less than $1000.00 to produce.

by Anonymousreply 6November 10, 2019 12:27 PM

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your friends’ poor financial decisions are not excuses for you to make a poor financial decision. Of course, everything is relative; if you are wealthy and you choose to overspend on things and can afford to do so, then go for it.

But let’s look at this. If you set aside $10,000 for that sofa, and you buy a $1,200 sofa and invest $8,800 in a 401(k) or an IRA that returns 7% over 25 years, then your decision will ultimately be worth $47,000–and whether you spend $10k or $1.2k, you’re going to end up with a ratty 25-year-old sofa, either with or without that $47k.

by Anonymousreply 7November 10, 2019 12:48 PM

In 2006, I bought a Mitchell Gold sofa and two club chairs. The cost was $6,000.00; they’re from the “Chesterfield” line. They’re classic, beautiful, and are in excellent condition. Quality lasts.

by Anonymousreply 8November 10, 2019 12:48 PM

A 5 piece sectional is expensive to produce, and that's a big piece of furniture put together, and a leather ottoman on top of all that. That is what a decent sectional will cost these days if you're looking at something brand new and of decentish quality. In fact, it seems a tad low. I wouldn't spend that much, but that is what it costs. Mitchell Gold is produced in this country and is considered sort of middle of the road quality in the industry. Pottery Barn used to private label the brand when they still had decent upholstery but have switched to cheaper alternatives to boost profits.

by Anonymousreply 9November 10, 2019 12:48 PM

R8, and now you've just got some old used furniture.

by Anonymousreply 10November 10, 2019 12:50 PM

This tastefully bland Mitchell + Gold sofa is named after a TV serial killer and will only set you back $3,000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 10, 2019 12:52 PM

Damn, R11 -- that looks right out of Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 12November 10, 2019 12:55 PM

I like the look of a sectional, but I can't abide its use, as no-one, ever, sits on the corner section. Moreover, I don't even like 3-seater sofas anymore, for who wants to swivel their heads like an owl while sitting in the middle?

Nope. If and when I buy new, next time only loveseats and chairs.

by Anonymousreply 13November 10, 2019 1:05 PM

I have a pair of these in my living room currently that I bought about a year ago. They're comfortable because of the down inserts, but I do have to fluff them constantly. They're made in China, but they look good because they're plain and they're surrounded by things of better quality if you go with a mix of high and low, it elevates the low. I get a lot of compliments on them and I think people would be surprised if they knew where they came from.

Hmm, I can't seem to post the link, as it's too long but it's the Brynn Sofa if you put it into the search bar, Plain slipcovered track arm sofa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 10, 2019 1:08 PM

As for the "Dexter" in r11: The arms won't support a pillow. Because let's be honest: one WILL sleep, or at least recline while reading, on it.

by Anonymousreply 15November 10, 2019 1:08 PM

2002 called, she wants her $10K sofa back.

How is this company still in business?

by Anonymousreply 16November 10, 2019 1:10 PM

Your friend sounds pretentious

by Anonymousreply 17November 10, 2019 1:12 PM

So basically it's a daybed with feather pillows as seats, r14.

by Anonymousreply 18November 10, 2019 1:12 PM

I suppose you could look at it like that, R18.

by Anonymousreply 19November 10, 2019 1:16 PM

Yes, good quality furniture will last a long time, but there's no need to pay outlandishly exorbitant prices for good quality. In my den I still have the sectional sofa I payed $2400.00 for in1989. Adjusted for inflation that would be just over $5000.00 today. It's split into 2 units on either side of the coffee table. It's currently on its 3rd recover and I'll probably have it covered again within the next 5 years. But I doubt I'll ever replace it.

I'll guarantee you that sofa, even today 30 years later, is better quality than the one the OP's friends shelled out 10k on.

by Anonymousreply 20November 10, 2019 1:20 PM

Most people today want to change their “look” every few years so they don’t care that their $999 sofa & love chair falls apart quickly. Humans are greedy.

by Anonymousreply 21November 10, 2019 1:22 PM

Is a love chair kinda like a sex sling?

by Anonymousreply 22November 10, 2019 1:25 PM

No r22, it’s a silly name Americans call a 2 seater couch.

by Anonymousreply 23November 10, 2019 1:26 PM

I once paid $75 for a cooch.

Worth every penny.

by Anonymousreply 24November 10, 2019 1:29 PM

[quote]Is that the normal price nowadays??

Your faux naiveté isn't endearing, OP.

by Anonymousreply 25November 10, 2019 1:30 PM

[R20] Please throw that thing out. There must be a metropolis of dust mites inside. Fun fact: when removed, carpet weighs 3x more than when it’s installed.

by Anonymousreply 26November 10, 2019 1:31 PM

$10K for a couch is idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 27November 10, 2019 1:33 PM

I paid $250 for a custom made down filled couch that was never sat on . It was in pristine condition for a 20 year old couch,and still looked great when I passed it on after a decade. In fact,I wish Id have kept it ! Only a fool pays that kind of money for furniture when you can fill your house with exquisite stuff from estate sales dirt cheap. I cant believe there are still people who think someone is impressed if you spend that kind of money on things.

by Anonymousreply 28November 10, 2019 1:36 PM

[[R20]] Please throw that thing out. There must be a metropolis of dust mites inside. Fun fact: when removed, carpet weighs 3x more than when it’s installed.

That sofa has been stripped down to the frame every time it has been recovered. All the padding and batting is replaced. Trust me there are no dust mites anywhere near that sofa.

by Anonymousreply 29November 10, 2019 1:38 PM

^^^ this is a lie

by Anonymousreply 30November 10, 2019 1:42 PM

r22, Who said "love chair"? It's called a "loveseat."

r23, Oh, really? "The loveseat was originally invented during the late 17th century and was intended as a place for women to sit whilst they wore the huge dresses with hoops, layers, underskirts and petticoats which were en vogue at the time."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 10, 2019 1:42 PM

$10,000 is way too much for a couch.

I've only bought one thing from Mitchell Gold - this black sheep.

Can you really put a price on a member of the family?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 10, 2019 1:44 PM

[quote] ^^^ this is a lie

And you're clearly full of shit. Clean your own sofa dirty tail.

by Anonymousreply 33November 10, 2019 1:44 PM

Piss off r31

by Anonymousreply 34November 10, 2019 1:44 PM

This my definition of a love seat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 10, 2019 1:44 PM

[R29] When was the last time you did that? You know that dust mites are pervasive, and humans have them under their fingernails. There’s no way you can keep that sofa truly clean, that’s why upholstered furniture is kind of gross. I try not to think about it.

by Anonymousreply 36November 10, 2019 1:44 PM

This is my definition of a love seat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 10, 2019 1:46 PM

[R29] When was the last time you did that? You know that dust mites are pervasive, and humans have them under their fingernails. There’s no way you can keep that sofa truly clean, that’s why upholstered furniture is kind of gross. I try not to think about it.

by Anonymousreply 38November 10, 2019 1:47 PM

[quote] [[R29]] When was the last time you did that?

It was last recovered in 2016, and some of the springs in the most used section were replaced.

by Anonymousreply 39November 10, 2019 1:49 PM

[R39] It sounds like you put a lot of money into this piece of furniture. What’s the total amount that you’ve spend in repairs since you purchased it? I want to run the numbers.

by Anonymousreply 40November 10, 2019 1:53 PM

Only way any couch is worth $10k is if it comes with $8k in spare change stuffed in the cushions. You can get a great couch for about $1,300.

by Anonymousreply 41November 10, 2019 1:58 PM

I bought matching Mitchell Gold sofas from the thrift store three years ago and paid $75 for the pair. The bones were good enough that I could see investing in recovering them down the road. The frame is very sturdy, and they do something special to the springs to make them very resilient— no sagging.

by Anonymousreply 42November 10, 2019 2:02 PM

Unclench those pearls some, R31. I repeated love chair from R20, the poster above me because it was a funny malapropism to me and I was making a joke.

by Anonymousreply 43November 10, 2019 2:05 PM

[R43] Clutch, not clench. You might say that I’m clenching since I’m correcting you. Or, if they’re those beads that some stick up their ass, and you call them your pearls.

by Anonymousreply 44November 10, 2019 2:13 PM

[quote]They bought from Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams (what a totally weird name for a store).

You call yourself gay?

by Anonymousreply 45November 10, 2019 2:17 PM

[R45] It’s because that place isn’t cool anymore. They’re going to Blu Dot now, Restoration Hardware if they don’t have taste.

by Anonymousreply 46November 10, 2019 2:23 PM

What brand do you recommend, r9?

by Anonymousreply 47November 10, 2019 2:23 PM

All depends on what you're looking for R47. I posted a link to my World Market cheapos at R14 that are $539 on sale. They look great and the slipcover is a performance fabric that cleans easily. I work with people in all different budgets and will tell you one hard and fast rule. Don't bother spending your money at Restoration Hardware for furniture. Other stuff there yes, but the quality of the Chinese upholstery is no better than my World Market ones. Ethan Allen is still decent for their upholstery, though just as pricey as Mitchell Gold. I like Lee Industires, but that can be harder to find. Some people insist on wanting American made which is going to cost more. I think the best thing to do for any space is to figure out what you want the room to look and feel like. So many ways to knock off a high-end look at a lower price these days if you're willing to spend time searching. Or pay me, ha. If you have a smaller budget, put your money into the unique things that no one else will have. Almost every sofa is disposable.

by Anonymousreply 48November 10, 2019 2:39 PM

That’s a bit much. Being DLEG, I’ve had a lot of living room furniture over the decades. The stuff I bought in the ‘80s was great for my tiny 500 sq ft apartment. And it was totally 80s.

Tastes change. My partner is an old German woman inside, and when left to his own devices he’s bought camelback sofas with custom fabric and matching wingback chairs. (They were horrible and I hated them). That was around $5k in the early 90s at a local furniture studio, not mass market.

When we built our first house, I persuaded him into a contemporary leather set, on the premise it would be more resistant to cats. That sofa was $5k and lasted about 20 years. The matching chair looked like hell because of the cats.

I just replaced the entire set for $3k from Macy’s. I know, you’re eye rolling. Here’s my point: there’s no such thing as furniture that will work in every house you live in, change with your tastes and enable you to redecorate when you want.

I suggest, gently, buying mid market based on your current decorating scheme. In 5 or 10 years, you’ll want to redecorate and may not want to be trapped.

by Anonymousreply 49November 10, 2019 2:43 PM

[quote] It’s because that place isn’t cool anymore. They’re going to Blu Dot now, Restoration Hardware if they don’t have taste.

BluDot may be cool, but it's cheaply made IKEA level furniture with deluxe price tags.

And Restoration Hardware - aside from just being aesthetically horrific - is a store that seems to scale all its pieces to sell to people with 6000+ sqf homes.

by Anonymousreply 50November 10, 2019 2:45 PM

Dania Furniture

Cepella Loveseat

What aesthetic does this piece of furniture fit in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 10, 2019 3:00 PM

Thanks, R9. Your furniture looks comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 52November 10, 2019 3:02 PM

Darth Vader’s lair.

by Anonymousreply 53November 10, 2019 3:06 PM

R35 good one, I liked that

by Anonymousreply 54November 10, 2019 3:07 PM

That looks like the back seat of a 50s Buick, R51.

by Anonymousreply 55November 10, 2019 3:08 PM

[R50] I’ve bought some Blu Dot pieces for clients, they have a few decent pieces. Some are under scaled and cheaply made though. No one wants Mitchell Gold Bob Williams, it’s for old people that still think Will and Grace have tastefully decorated apartments.

by Anonymousreply 56November 10, 2019 3:24 PM

Fuck pillowback sofas. Shit gets lost and you can’t sneak in a decent plop for fear of hitting the back.

You’re supposed to choose based upon the life cycle. It’s living-room worthy, now it’s in the den, now it’s at his brothers lake house, and now his nephew’s put it in a pickup for homecoming meth parties.

by Anonymousreply 57November 10, 2019 3:28 PM

I've always thought that it's smart to spend a bit more in a very well made sofa. $10K is over the top, but nothing worse than a cheap sofa.

by Anonymousreply 58November 10, 2019 3:30 PM

Does it move and have cup holders and led lights? Otherwise, no way!

by Anonymousreply 59November 10, 2019 3:31 PM

We bought a very nice 60" couch from Room & Board in 2014, and it's holding up very nicely. It was $1500, and I thought that was a splurge.

Also $1500 was the Castro convertible I bought in 1991, which I still have (and use regularly) in our guest room.

by Anonymousreply 60November 10, 2019 3:35 PM

$10,000 is a fair price.

5 piece sectional in leather with an ottoman table? Made in the USA? How much would you expect it to cost?

A lot will depend on the type of construction. Are they big pieces of leather or smaller pieces sticthed together? Are there coil springs or just foam? Good quality furniture made in the US cost money.

by Anonymousreply 61November 10, 2019 3:55 PM

Your friends are nuts, OP.

by Anonymousreply 62November 10, 2019 4:23 PM

OP: How do you know the price?

If you asked, you are tacky.

If they volunteered, they are.

by Anonymousreply 63November 10, 2019 4:35 PM

I bought a Mid-Century knock-off from Mathis Brothers in Ontario. Delivered 350 bucks. Quality is great, the fabric perfect. Saw it in a client's house a month later, their house 4 million.

Stop overpaying for shit.

by Anonymousreply 64November 10, 2019 4:35 PM

Leather furniture is always tacky. Go mid century and preferably Danish modern.

by Anonymousreply 65November 10, 2019 4:35 PM

R65 I find MCM incredibly tacky but each to their own. When it comes to covering, nothing beats good quality leather. Nothing. How can you call a leather chesterfield sofa tacky?

by Anonymousreply 66November 10, 2019 4:38 PM

R51, Movie set of futuristic Russian brothel.

by Anonymousreply 67November 10, 2019 4:38 PM

[R66] Those sofas are for people who think they’re country club types. There are better designs out there.

by Anonymousreply 68November 10, 2019 5:11 PM

[quote]I walked into a Bobois Roche furniture store.

Should I say "oh dear?" or is that only for grammar faux pas.

Here is a really great place ot get custom furniture for much less.

you can even return it. they always have sales for 30% off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 10, 2019 5:26 PM

[quote]I walked into a Bobois Roche furniture store.

Try Roebucks and Sears.

by Anonymousreply 70November 10, 2019 5:29 PM

would prefer this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 10, 2019 5:33 PM

[quote]How can you call a leather chesterfield sofa tacky?

Easy. "Tacky, tacky, tacky." It's that tacky button business, to start, grandma.

by Anonymousreply 72November 10, 2019 5:38 PM

There's not to your personal taste and tacky. Chesterfield sofas have been around in different iterations for hundreds of years. They're classic.

by Anonymousreply 73November 10, 2019 5:44 PM

Je ne give a shit pas, grandma r73, about your button sofa. And YOU are the one who introduced the word "tacky," not I.

by Anonymousreply 74November 10, 2019 5:47 PM

[quote] It sounds like you put a lot of money into this piece of furniture. What’s the total amount that you’ve spend in repairs since you purchased it? I want to run the numbers.

I've put a little over $6500.00 into that sofa over the last 30 years, and that's with a good discount from the people who have done all my reupholstering over the years because I'm a very good customer. That's considerably less than if I had replaced it 3 times with something comparable. It's a high end piece of furniture and I have specifically not replaced it the times I've had it reupholstered because I was not willing to pay the ludicrous prices for something very likely of lesser quality. I have little doubt it would have cost me at least 20 grand or more to replace that sofa each time I've had it redone with a piece I would have been satisfied with.

by Anonymousreply 75November 10, 2019 5:53 PM

I paid $50.00 for mine!

by Anonymousreply 76November 10, 2019 5:55 PM

I am simply repeating you, R72/74. I am not R66, you dumb motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 77November 10, 2019 5:56 PM

Whoever the fuck you are, r77, you cannot make me give a shit about your ugly sofa with its stupid buttons. Assume that, Prisstina.

by Anonymousreply 78November 10, 2019 5:58 PM

First of all, it is not MY sofa. I was trying to point out the difference between what is YOUR personal taste and what is or is not tacky. Since you don't seem to grasp basic concepts like those go have a seat on your beanbag chair and let the adults discuss things.

by Anonymousreply 79November 10, 2019 6:06 PM

I've heard bean bag chairs are good for fucking.

by Anonymousreply 80November 10, 2019 6:12 PM

Shut up, mom!

by Anonymousreply 81November 10, 2019 6:17 PM

[quote]I find MCM incredibly tacky

[quote]Leather furniture is always tacky.

Some of you are just so dumb.

The great Mid Century designers created some of the most timeless tasteful furniture designs.

The Barcelona chair designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe....upholstered in leather is one of the great designs of the 20th Century.

Is it my taste? No. But I'm able to step back and appreciate it's beauty.

And on the other hand: the classic Chesterfield in leather is another timeless piece.

by Anonymousreply 82November 10, 2019 6:29 PM

R82 You're going to regret that in a few years, because fashion changes. What's the LOOK today won't be the look in five or ten years.

Anybody who tells you their look is "timeless" is probably a midwestern hausfrau whose house looks like a JC Penney's ad from 1994.

by Anonymousreply 83November 10, 2019 6:32 PM

I don't think you understand what R82 was just saying R83. The Barcelona chair was designed in 1929 and has been in production ever since. The Chesterfield sofa has been in production in some form for hundreds of years at this point. BOTH are classics and will stand the test of time whether it is to your liking or not.

by Anonymousreply 84November 10, 2019 6:37 PM

R84 I do understand. I've owned many homes since 1980. The idiot notion they'll stand the "test of time" is what a sales person tells you when getting you to buy something that's overpriced. That same chesterfield will be reinterpreted dozens of times and in a couple of years, what you have will like dowdy and frumpy. When the current revival of mid century passes, which it appears it already is, then you're stuck with a bunch of overpriced furniture you can't sell.

What you're arguing is the same as claiming that clothes fashions are timeless and will stand the test of time. Like anyone is wearing a de la Renta pillbox hot, unless it's a drag queen - or disco suits, let alone anything from the early 1980s.

These business prey on the consumers desire to be current and the belief that spending a lot of money will give them good taste. It won't. When the next big fashion wave hits, that mid century grey davenport will look as dated as everything in Bette Midler's "Outrageous Fortune"

by Anonymousreply 85November 10, 2019 6:50 PM

R 85 You understand nothing about design.

R84 explained it perfectly... but it went right over your head.

by Anonymousreply 86November 10, 2019 6:55 PM

I don’t think you can much “quality” furniture at affordable prices no matter where you shop.

Everything is made in China and is made to be replaced every few years.

The stuff made in the US is expensive (like Mitchell Gold). I’m not even sure stuff made in the IS even guarantees the quality is great like it used to.

by Anonymousreply 87November 10, 2019 7:01 PM

I want “Timeless” to mean it lasts for 20 years.

A traditionally sofa will stay in style (it’s a sofa, for goodness sakes, not a dress that goes in and out of style)

by Anonymousreply 88November 10, 2019 7:04 PM

R86 Sounds like a woman trying to gaysplain to a gay man, again.

by Anonymousreply 89November 10, 2019 7:07 PM

R89= frau

by Anonymousreply 90November 10, 2019 7:08 PM

There are always things that will be on-trend in the design world. Maybe this season's color. or a pattern. Think of all the current gray tones seen throughout flooring, paint, wood finishes in case goods. For pattern, chevron and trellis designs come to mind. Those all feel dated to me because design has moved on but mass-market stores are still selling them like hotcakes. There ARE certain things that aren't trendy, like the black leather Barcelona chair and a brown Chesterfield showing it's age. A black and white checkerboard floor. A Parsons table. There are many others that will never be dated because they've been around and endure.

by Anonymousreply 91November 10, 2019 7:10 PM

R90 Would you like to see my penis? It's enormous and very popular. Definitely not a frau, but also not fooled by "designers", children, and poseur fraus who think their pinterest board is meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 92November 10, 2019 7:31 PM

I think a sofa is worth spending money on. OP's friends bought a "5-piece sectional and a leather ottoman/table." I can't afford it, but $10K doesn't sound crazy for 5 pieces plus an ottoman, all made of leather.

by Anonymousreply 93November 10, 2019 7:34 PM

Does it reach around and give you a BJ? Otherwise $10k is crazy.

by Anonymousreply 94November 10, 2019 7:37 PM

I cringe thinking of what could be living and/or growing inside some furniture. I have friends and family that tend to buy on the higher end of cost/quality. But, seeing all of their children and animals crawling, eating, spilling, and (I am sure) leaking bodily fluids on the furniture confirmed my thoughts. I do not believe all could be cleaned or replaced to make the furniture useable without buying new. Buying used furniture, especially mattresses is beyond my comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 95November 10, 2019 7:40 PM

R95 that’s why leather is so good. It doesn’t let critters inside. And yes, anyone who buys a used mattress is crazy. In fact, anyone who doesn’t use a mattress protector is crazy too.

by Anonymousreply 96November 10, 2019 7:43 PM

[quote] We bought a very nice 60" couch from Room & Board in 2014, and it's holding up very nicely. It was $1500, and I thought that was a splurge.

We have a Room & Board sectional that we bought in 2009 for 2K. I gasped at the pricing then, but we still have it and it looks great. Had it professionally cleaned maybe twice in all that time.

Sometimes it IS worth paying for quality, but you have to separate well built quality from "fad of the moment."

by Anonymousreply 97November 10, 2019 7:44 PM

[R75] $6,500??? Where are you getting this cheap labor and supplies? Mexican labor? I just had to spend $1,000 to repair a Barcelona chair. Not for me though, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 98November 10, 2019 9:01 PM

[quote]will look as dated as everything in Bette Midler's "Outrageous Fortune"

Do you mean "Ruthless People?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 10, 2019 9:13 PM

Having a leather sofa is akin to decorating in hunter green with duck motifs. Dated and tacky.

by Anonymousreply 100November 10, 2019 9:43 PM

OP, you can use it to sit out on the front porch.

by Anonymousreply 101November 10, 2019 9:55 PM

$10,000???? That couch better have a built in dildo machine so you at least get fucked more than just when you buy it.

by Anonymousreply 102November 10, 2019 11:26 PM

R99 You’re right! Classic bad interiors. That’s nothing: look at Architecture Digest from the 80s. Lots of “timeless design” slung. Now it looks like a mad whore’s

by Anonymousreply 103November 11, 2019 1:16 AM

Dear God I love this fucking thread.

by Anonymousreply 104November 11, 2019 2:24 AM

They paid $10,000 for a cooch?

That's one expensive heaux!

by Anonymousreply 105November 11, 2019 4:05 AM

Oh my God, I am SO impressed with people who spend tons of money on furniture!!!

by Anonymousreply 106November 11, 2019 4:12 AM

[quote]I cringe thinking of what could be living and/or growing inside some furniture.

Yes, as you've already made clear you are an exhausting germaphobe. Speaking of clear, do you have clear plastic slipcovers on your furniture like Joan Crawford?

by Anonymousreply 107November 11, 2019 5:04 AM

Joybird.com has amazingly reasonable prices z

Has anyone bought from there and can attest to how good the product is?

by Anonymousreply 108November 11, 2019 12:13 PM

Joybird's factory is in Mexico, so that's one way they've kept costs down. Quality seems average. The design is rather bland vaguely MCM inspired. You can source things that look similar to it more cheaply, or pay a bit more for an American product.

by Anonymousreply 109November 11, 2019 12:24 PM

[R109] Joybird sounds too Asian, like Jollibee. DL will hate it.

by Anonymousreply 110November 11, 2019 12:48 PM

[R91] Black and white checkerboard floors and Parsons tables are two things that need to never be in style, yuck. There’s nothing worse than going to an architect’s house and seeing tired black leather modern classic furniture and white walls because he can’t think of anything better. I’d rather see Laura Ashley prints covering everything, because it’s that bad.

by Anonymousreply 111November 11, 2019 12:58 PM

OP, I paid $14,000 for the sofa below -- way back in 2007 (and partially because I ordered it with an unusually pricey fabric). I have no idea what they go for today, but I assume it's quite a bit more. Twelve years later, it's showing almost zero wear -- I have it professionally cleaned at least once a year -- and its frame remains 100% perfect. Obviously it's a lot of money, but my interior designer argued that in this case it was worth it because B&B Italia uses steel frames for its seating that can rather literally last 50 years or more. I was skeptical at the time, but now admit she was right.

That said, I would absolutely NOT pay anything close to that amount for anything OTHER than a steel-frame couch, nor would I pay even 20% of that amount for one made of cheap plywood that's glued, not nailed, together, as is the case for nearly every mainstream furniture brand (including Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams - and in case no one's answered it yet, the moniker comes from the *actual* gay couple that launched it 20-odd years ago). In some cases you really do get what you pay for, and in reality a $4,000 Blu Dot sofa is largely a lipstick-on-a-pig variation of the same $400 crap you can find on Wayfair.

The one exception I'd make to this rule is for vintage sofas like the one R71 posted: I once had a pair of matching '60s-vintage Milo Baughman love seats with truly stunning rosewood along their backs & sides. While their frames were also wood, they were made back in the days when American manufacturing actually *meant* something, and wood-frame sofas were actually nailed together and not based on the cheapest types of plywood that invariably warp & rot over time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 11, 2019 1:24 PM

One clarification: I have friends who bought a Floyd sofa like the one below, which by all appearances is an exception to the rule of not being able to get decent quality for a reasonable price. It's not B&B Italia-level sturdy, but it has a hybrid steel-and-wood frame and cushions that are legitimately designed to ensure fairly heavy wear. They're also stain-proofed to the point of even a worst-case-scenario of spilling red wine on it can be fixed, which I admittedly can't say about my sofa. (I have a "no red wine" policy in my living room because of it, and yes, I've gotten ribbing of the "MARY!" variety about it ever since my ex-partner and I bought it.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 11, 2019 1:32 PM

[R112] I’ve sat on that sofa, it’s not comfortable. B&B is such a tacky place, so much lacquered and high gloss, it’s blinding walking in their store. The people working there are all eurotrash who don’t know anything about design. They have a few nice pieces here and there, though.

by Anonymousreply 114November 11, 2019 1:35 PM

There are two kinds of people - people who buy cheap, poorly made merchandise that wears out quickly and has to be replaced, and people who buy quality, timeless, well constructed merchandise that lasts much, much longer. I feel this applies to furniture, clothing, shoes, watches, and cars. You get what you pay for. I feel that in the long run, you spend less if you pay for quality.

by Anonymousreply 115November 11, 2019 1:38 PM

Gorgeous sectional R112

by Anonymousreply 116November 11, 2019 1:45 PM

R112, You make many good points, but I don't think you know some things about plywood and construction methods. Firstly, plywood is superior in many ways over a typical length of wood because of its laminated stability. Now, depending on the grade and integrity of the plywood you may have some points. It is certainly superior to MDF which is heavy as hell but doesn't have the inherent tensile strength of plywood. Secondly, regarding glue. Of course, nails are used. Sometimes screws, in the cheapest, staples. But nailing a frame together has always been an industry standard. Dovetailed corners provide further stability and are still the norm for decent American companies.

When it comes to interior springs and such, most middle of the road American/Mexican manufacturers are still using a steel coil frame wrapped in wood. It's an updated version of the old 8 way hand-tied which was the gold standard of upholstery for many years. In place of the twine that tied off the springs, metal strapping has generally replaced it, making for a sturdier and more easily produced cost-effective frame.

Plywood in a frame covered in upholstery in a heated home will not warp or rot over time unless someone's house floods. It just won't happen. I have seen cheap Chinese upholstery using styrofoam and cardboard mixed in with a cheaply stapled plywood frame, but even that sofa lasted comfortably for a number of years. Quality can be had at many different price points, and shopping vintage is always a worthy option if you can get past the fact it's not new. The people here that have been hyper-paranoid of dust mites are worrying a bit too much. Reupholstery of a good old piece can be cost-effective and open you up to unlimited choices for fabric.

by Anonymousreply 117November 11, 2019 1:55 PM

Now we can see what r117 had to say in r48.

by Anonymousreply 118November 11, 2019 1:58 PM

Lastly, I cannot speak more highly of performance fabrics. There's bunch out there these days, the best known being Krypton. Usually some form of acrylic, the stain protection of the fabric is woven in, not sprayed on. It was originally made for outdoor use, we are using it EVERYWHERE indoors these days, You can literally get red wine out of white fabric.

by Anonymousreply 119November 11, 2019 2:01 PM

[R117] way too much information. I’m going to Levitz for my new sofa.

by Anonymousreply 120November 11, 2019 2:01 PM

Krypton? Great, more things to harm the environment.

by Anonymousreply 121November 11, 2019 2:02 PM

I have a Bo Concept sofa that has held up well.

Apparently, their cushions are made of solid blocks of foam so they don’t lose their shape

by Anonymousreply 122November 11, 2019 2:16 PM

Pay for quality, you fat whores!

by Anonymousreply 123November 11, 2019 4:34 PM

[quote] I have a Bo Concept sofa that has held up well.

Whatever happened to them, anyway? We have a coffee table of theirs....$1200 if I remember right, but it's solid white glass and still looks good.

by Anonymousreply 124November 11, 2019 4:35 PM

Not sure how to define quality. I’m not a sofa expert.

Do I assume an expensive couch automatically means quality?

I bought an expensive Dyson and it literally broke in half the week after the warranty was up

by Anonymousreply 125November 11, 2019 7:19 PM

After spending that much on their wonderful couch I hope they never get tired of its design, comfort, upholstery, color, etc. I guess they can always send it to the Riviera…

by Anonymousreply 126November 11, 2019 7:23 PM

R112 That B&B sofa could be 1956 or 1972 or 2010....it's not going to look dated in 30 years.

And since it's well made, it's not going to be a saggy mess anytime soon,

by Anonymousreply 127November 11, 2019 7:45 PM

[R127] wrong! Those legs are out of style, height of popularity around 2004.

by Anonymousreply 128November 11, 2019 7:52 PM

R112 is a bragging queen and the sofa is hideous.

by Anonymousreply 129November 11, 2019 7:53 PM

Such an incredible waste of money. If you're the type of person that can afford something this extravagant, you're probably too busy working to actually lounge on it enough times to get your money's worth out of it.

by Anonymousreply 130November 11, 2019 7:56 PM

10k for a couch is as stupid as 2k for shoes or 25k for a purse. It's just dumb. Do you not have a Levin's or VC Furniture or comparable near you? Ridiculous. Give your friend a slap upside the head for me, PLEASE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 11, 2019 9:16 PM

[quote]wrong! Those legs are out of style, height of popularity around 2004.

The thin metal legs on that sofa are a design element that Mies van der Rohe was doing in the 1920s, Eero Saarinen in the 1940s. Florence Knoll in the 50s. Etc.

They are neither "in style" nor "out of style"....they just "are". A design classic.

They are only out of style for dummies who follow trends. In other words: people like you.

by Anonymousreply 132November 11, 2019 9:16 PM

R131 What junk. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 133November 11, 2019 9:19 PM

[R132] Put your glasses on! It’s not that they’re thin metal legs, it’s the shape of them. Mies and Saarinen used thin legs that were more like simple columns, or maybe in Saarinen’s case a truss or arch.

Decorina queens are the worst!

by Anonymousreply 134November 11, 2019 9:47 PM

Macy’s has good, middle of the road, affordable furniture

by Anonymousreply 135November 11, 2019 10:26 PM

[quote] Macy’s has good, middle of the road, affordable furniture

Macy's has hideous, badly designed trash. Overstuffed atrocities for fraus and fat white trash with no taste.

I was recently in one of their showrooms and was astonished at how dreadful all of it was.

by Anonymousreply 136November 11, 2019 11:18 PM

R135 Macy's is decent stuff for the money. Sure, if you're hell bent on spending more on furniture than many of us spent for college - please, go right ahead. It won't fill that void in your soul or it won't set you on a path to financial security. The only people who tell you $10K is reasonable for a sofa are the people making a commission of selling you that sofa.

by Anonymousreply 137November 12, 2019 1:48 AM

What Macy's sells you can find less expensive elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 138November 12, 2019 3:27 AM

The price is less an issue for me than the fact it’s a suite.

The whole point of expensive furniture is that it’s made for you, your height, your room, its use.

Put too much of the same thing in one place and it looks like an office atrium where no one sits.

by Anonymousreply 139November 12, 2019 3:44 AM

R137 It's not decent stuff for the money. You can spend the same elsewhere and get better quality.

I'm not suggesting someone needs to spend more. I'm suggestion one finds furniture that doesn't hurt your eyes and your soul just by looking at it.

by Anonymousreply 140November 12, 2019 3:46 AM

R140 What do you do for a living?

by Anonymousreply 141November 12, 2019 3:55 AM

I tell bitches with no taste to aim higher, honey, that's what.

by Anonymousreply 142November 12, 2019 3:57 AM

10k for a couch?

Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 143November 12, 2019 3:58 AM

I bet all the New York queens are wondering how one gets a sofa into an apartment, let alone one that costs $10K. You can’t fit much into a 300 SF apartment.

by Anonymousreply 144November 12, 2019 4:25 AM

Their stuff may very well be overpriced for what it is but style wise, Macy's has attractive looking furniture as well ugly things. It's not all awful. That's simply not true.

by Anonymousreply 145November 12, 2019 4:27 AM

A couch for a homecoming meth parties?

In my day, we freebased cocaine on picnic benches. In Minnesota. In winter!

Kids these days.

Spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 146November 12, 2019 5:54 AM

I paid $130,000 for a Stormy Daniels cooch.

by Anonymousreply 147November 12, 2019 6:23 AM

Sectionals are expensive. The only ones below $5000 are the hideous ones surban fraus love

by Anonymousreply 148November 12, 2019 3:42 PM

A fool and their money are easily parted like they say!

by Anonymousreply 149November 12, 2019 4:00 PM

r149 - The saying is "A fool and his money are a good time."

by Anonymousreply 150November 12, 2019 4:59 PM

I just bought this one for MUCH LESS! Don’t you love it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151November 12, 2019 7:06 PM

I’d like a Dunbar sofa in a camel color or a tweed.

by Anonymousreply 152November 12, 2019 10:47 PM

That is extremely excessive...unless you live in a mansion and have unlimited funds to decorate. You can get yourself a very good sofa for less than $4,000. And if you're on a budget a good sofa can run you around 1800. Of course you can get less expensive ones but the quality suffers.Never buy second hand apholstered furniture.

by Anonymousreply 153November 12, 2019 10:51 PM

If you're going to get sad trash at Macy's you might as well just go to VC Boutique and get the Welfare Special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154November 12, 2019 11:00 PM

You bitches who are scared of used furniture crack me up. How do you even have sex? It's so MESSY. My antique chaise has been rebuilt from the ground up and has been STERILIZED. Fuck me gently on the plastic tarp covering it though, I don't want your dust mites clinging to it! Heavens to Betsey!

by Anonymousreply 155November 13, 2019 12:25 AM

R155 It's like the sad whores who say "I can't live in a house that anyone else lived in!"

by Anonymousreply 156November 13, 2019 12:34 AM

R154 Okay, that's an insult? Instead of pissing away money on foppish furniture - it's in my savings. When I retire in a couple of years, I'll have well over $1M.

Enjoy your overpriced furniture.

by Anonymousreply 157November 13, 2019 1:39 AM

I will R157, and I'll have that much in savings too, probably more. But I didn't have to sit on a shiteous piece of crap with metal springs poking me in the ass to get it.

by Anonymousreply 158November 13, 2019 1:56 AM

Our discussion affirms the global wealth disparity.

by Anonymousreply 159November 13, 2019 2:55 AM

R158 You’re obsessed with an absolutist view: if you don’t spend a specific amount of money, then it’s going to be some terrible result. That’s an immature perspective. Perhaps as you get older, have a career, have a relationship measured in decades - you’ll overcome your need to “always be right”.

Especially when you’re not, and you’re an unreliable source.

by Anonymousreply 160November 13, 2019 3:24 AM

Only those vapid instagram whores would be impressed with a $10,000 couch R158 . The rest of us just think its stupid.

by Anonymousreply 161November 13, 2019 3:39 AM

R161 I never said I was interested in, or impressed by a $10,000 couch, you stupid cunt. What I said was that I also wasn't going to take some sort of pride in suffering by sitting on badly made shit.

[quote] You’re obsessed with an absolutist view: if you don’t spend a specific amount of money, then it’s going to be some terrible result

Not at all, but then again your literacy seems to be limited. My POV is the absolute opposite of absolutism. I am not the OP and do not believe one needs to spend ridiculous amounts of money like $10,000 - but I also think paying for a certain level of quality is important.

This is based on 25 years of furniture shopping, and learning that when you spend bargain prices and get a "deal," that piece of shit falls apart sooner and requires more money to replace, eventually exceeding what one would have spent if one had just unclenched one's asshole and shit out a few more nickels in the first place.

If people want to claim moral superiority because they spent very little on something and suffered for some sort of grand cause, then by all means crawl up on the cross.

by Anonymousreply 162November 13, 2019 3:47 AM

Is this thread still about a sofa? Or is this some sort of a support group for people with personality disorders?

by Anonymousreply 163November 13, 2019 3:52 AM

It’s class warfare.

by Anonymousreply 164November 13, 2019 3:59 AM

[R164] maybe I should have said, this is like a mental hospital. I’m sure someone here thinks they’re Princess Anne and is riding around on a pretend horse, shouting about the upper class.

by Anonymousreply 165November 13, 2019 4:25 AM

We have a loveseat in our 285sq ft apartment in Barcelona. Too bad Van Gogh keeps pissing on it...

by Anonymousreply 166November 13, 2019 11:25 AM

What does "quality" mean exactly when it comes to sofas?

by Anonymousreply 167November 13, 2019 5:04 PM

R167 Paying an excessive amount, or getting “Daddy” to pay a ridiculous amount. Humble bragging on Insta and FB how much you hated to spend soooo much but the “quality”.

by Anonymousreply 168November 14, 2019 2:26 AM

R150 I was raised with a different saying but the meaning is the same i guess.Money doesn't buy you class it just makes you trash!

by Anonymousreply 169November 14, 2019 3:57 PM

The quality of *everything* has gone to shit.

The only way now to purchase premium furnishings is to seek out indie/artisinal furniture makers who have their own shops. I think if they’re aged 30 and above and still doing it, that they will be able to make a living. They are de facto artists. I know there are some exceptions, but they are few and far between.

by Anonymousreply 170November 14, 2019 10:18 PM

You can get from point A to point B very well in a Ford Fiesta... so why buy a Mercedes?

People with money want nice things. Is something strange about that?

And no, your $1,000 sofa is not "just as nice".

Good grief....people are spending millions on buying second and third homes. Do you really think spending $10,000 on the focal point of the biggest room in their house is outrageous for them?

Would someone here please post a photo of a 5-piece sectional in leather with a leather ottoman/table that costs LESS than $10,000. I'd like to see it.

BTW: My sofa is from Ikea. And since I bought it off the showroom floor it was half priced. And I'm perfectly happy with it.

But good for those who can afford one for $10,000.

If that $10,000 sofa is made in the US and it's giving work to American craftsman, I'm all for it.

by Anonymousreply 171November 15, 2019 8:28 PM

I feel that I need to add that sectional sofas are tacky regardless of cost.

by Anonymousreply 172November 16, 2019 12:44 AM

There's nothing tacky about a sectional sofa. It's a standard of modern design.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173November 16, 2019 1:06 AM

Im with R172 . Tacky as fuck . And they can swallow even a larger room whole.

by Anonymousreply 174November 16, 2019 1:13 AM

I don't like the sofa at 112 but if he still likes it, and it's still in good condition 12 years later, and looks to remain so for many more years to come, than I'd agree that the $14,000 was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 175November 16, 2019 1:17 AM

You can certainly not like them, but in a big modern interior they're appropriate. They're also made for a certain lifestyle.

We also heard on this thread the leather furniture is tacky.

Some of you really understand nothing about design.

by Anonymousreply 176November 16, 2019 1:19 AM

*We also heard on this thread that leather furniture is tacky.

by Anonymousreply 177November 16, 2019 1:20 AM

Is anybody familiar with the Arhaus franchise in the New York Long Island area. The store in Manhasset seems to be trying to emulate what Roche Bobois used to be before the Asian invasion which turned their classic pieces to a metallic ultra-modern horror show. Is it another one of those pretentious lipstick on a pig stores? I went their to price a custom sofa. The saleswoman was a dead ringer for Joan Rivers, from the makeup to the looks to the voice. She could sell shit to a fly, but knew diddly about furniture.

by Anonymousreply 178November 16, 2019 1:50 AM

Michael Gold stuff is of rather simple design, nothing too outstanding, price points $3,000 and such, more when a larger piece with better fabric. For my $10,000 I'd want the Knoll Mies Barcelona Couch, $12,000. Knock-offs go for $2,000 but once you've seen the real thing you must have it. Nothing else will do, the "original" is best.

by Anonymousreply 179November 16, 2019 2:24 AM

[R173] Sectional sofas are a standard of tacky Italian design, not modern design. B&B is one of those places that has a few good pieces, but lots of tacky, tacky, expensive stuff. You have to be careful with anything Italian, and French, because it tends to get tacky and tasteless. You wouldn’t go into Gucci and buy everything, just assuming it’s tasteful, would you? Otherwise, you’d look like one of those hip-hop artists.

by Anonymousreply 180November 16, 2019 2:46 AM

[R179] I’ve seen some good knockoffs, stop giving Knoll all that money. The Florence Knoll sofa is so incredibly overpriced, it’s highway robbery!

by Anonymousreply 181November 16, 2019 2:53 AM

Buy upholstered stuff new and everything else used. Spend the time looking for items that you love. I'm always upgrading when I find something better. If you buy cheap stuff just to fill a room, you'll never really enjoy the space. I would also advise that you really consider your lifestyle before making an expensive purchase. For instance, are you thinking about getting a pet in the future? And, how often do you have people over for dinner (and how many)?

by Anonymousreply 182November 16, 2019 3:06 AM

[quote]Sectional sofas are a standard of tacky Italian design, not modern design.

(Oh boy)

The Danes, the Scandinavians etc were doing sectional sofas in the 50s and 60s.

They are a standard of modern design.

by Anonymousreply 183November 16, 2019 4:21 AM

[quote]B&B is one of those places that has a few good pieces, but lots of tacky, tacky, expensive stuff.

B&B makes plenty of well designed classic pieces. And yes they are expensive. It's clientele are not looking for bargains in home decor.

A company that big that sells Internationally must accommodate different tastes.

by Anonymousreply 184November 16, 2019 4:41 AM

[R183] You can say it as many times as you want, it’s still not true.

[R184] They have many nice pieces, but just as much garbage. Shopped there several times with clients, and I’ve noticed that their eurotrash “designers” pressure customers into buying everything there. The result is a bunch of over scaled pieces, many of which are lacquered. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 185November 16, 2019 5:33 AM

I love Roche Bobois’s designs. I can’t afford a thing in there though

by Anonymousreply 186November 16, 2019 12:11 PM

[Quote] For my $10,000 I'd want the Knoll Mies Barcelona Couch, $12,000

I just looked that up. It looks more like a mattress than a couch. How do you sit on it without your back hurting?

by Anonymousreply 187November 16, 2019 12:13 PM

Has anyone ever bought clinches from LoveSac?

They actually look really comfortable and are nicely priced

by Anonymousreply 188November 16, 2019 12:16 PM

[quote]The result is a bunch of over scaled pieces, many of which are lacquered. Gross.

You don't know what you're talking about. If there are any lacquered pieces in the B&B line it's tiny amount. They are not known for lacquered.

Overscaled? LOL. Yes for the average suburban home.

by Anonymousreply 189November 16, 2019 12:17 PM

OP - It may be overpriced. However, show them this-- its an MCM Tuxedo Sofa --

Classic modern sofa attributed Edward Wormley for Dunbar. Measures: 9 ft in length. Fully restored, reupholstered in mohair, mahogany feet.

Listed at $8,500.

Make them weep.

Leather sectional is never classy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190November 16, 2019 12:43 PM

[R189] I was just there, just about every media cabinet, credenza or any other name you have for it, was lacquered. I was expecting to see a Nagel print at some point. Not only that, but every light fixture was designed in the 1970’s or 1980’s and had a high gloss finish.

No, lady, I’m not talking about overscaled for suburban homes. I’m taking about overscaled for human beings, as in obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 191November 16, 2019 12:49 PM

OP = Kevin Spacey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192November 16, 2019 1:26 PM

R173, The two descriptors are not mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 193November 16, 2019 3:25 PM

R191 No high gloss lacquer to be found.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194November 16, 2019 4:09 PM

that woman in r192, what year did she receive her well-deserved Academy Award for Best Actress?

by Anonymousreply 195November 16, 2019 4:43 PM

Are we still bringing bread and water for the sufferers on this thread?

You know, the righteous ones who spent 65 dollars and 48 cents on their couch, and want to hiss until they fill the room with their yeast infection scented dismay that people aren't recognizing their tremendous sacrifice?

by Anonymousreply 196November 16, 2019 4:49 PM

[R194] Please walk into the store, you’ll see what I’m talking about. You have to physically go to the store and walk in. If you can’t get enough, go to Minotti.

by Anonymousreply 197November 16, 2019 6:03 PM

[194] Oh, I just figured it out, you don’t have a B&B showroom in your area. You live in a second or third tier place. Maybe you can stop in on your next vacation.

by Anonymousreply 198November 16, 2019 6:09 PM

Why is RH so disdained?

by Anonymousreply 199November 16, 2019 6:45 PM

[R199] it’s worse than B&B, furniture for the nouveau riche.

by Anonymousreply 200November 16, 2019 6:47 PM

R197 Sure Jan.

Please point out the lacquered furniture that B&B makes. Their complete collection is on line.

Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 201November 16, 2019 7:12 PM

Please dont be mean to R197, she has an eye disorder that makes her see everything shinny .

by Anonymousreply 202November 16, 2019 7:30 PM

[R201] I hope this message reaches you in the Midwest. If you go to the storage unit section, you will find all of the high gloss lacquer splendor that you love. You’ll also find another thing that Italians love, exotic wood veneers. Barf.

There’s quite a bit that isn’t on the website, particularly light fixtures. Most of the sofas are awful, and they have some of the worst of 80’s postmodern design. Although, that’s supposed to be back in style again.

by Anonymousreply 203November 16, 2019 7:57 PM

[quote]If you go to the storage unit section, you will find all of the high gloss lacquer splendor that you love.

[quote]There’s quite a bit that isn’t on the website, particularly light fixtures.

LOL. Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 204November 16, 2019 8:02 PM

R190, shipping is nearly $800!

by Anonymousreply 205November 16, 2019 9:37 PM

[R204] I give up, why am I wasting my time with this?

by Anonymousreply 206November 17, 2019 12:39 AM

Yeah, no matter what they call it, R187, it isn't a sofa, it is a lounge piece. A daybed, etc. .I think I was told once the lounge was done at the request of a movie mogul, maybe Jerry Wald, for his office … something to go with the Barcelona chairs he had, something he could rest on. There are copies of both pieces made today. I think on the Net I've seen a sofa version, like three Barcelona chairs shoved together..

by Anonymousreply 207November 18, 2019 12:45 AM

Again, this is about class warfare. Working stiffs could never ever possibly save enough coin for this, so it makes them bitter. And I think they should be. Most of our population has their noses pressed to the glass, staring at the pretty things, watching you shop. It is disgusting. Too many have-nots now.

Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 208November 18, 2019 6:17 PM

Many years ago, when I was in my 20s and struggling financially, I remember being aghast when a guy I knew went out and purchased Christofle flatwear. I got my stuff from thrift stores. At the time I was of the mindset that because I couldn't afford things, then people with more money should not buy and enjoy nice things - they should also do without. Now, I don't give a shit who spends what.

by Anonymousreply 209November 18, 2019 6:46 PM

Imagining [R208] sitting at a computer in a home for people with various mental illnesses. Maybe they’ll let him watch The Crown so he can fill everyone in on the details.

by Anonymousreply 210November 18, 2019 6:51 PM

Um, bitch?^^^ I happen to actually be a “have” and enjoy some lux in my life — and I still think the income disparity in this country is tragic. I know this complex idea is too, too much....

by Anonymousreply 211November 19, 2019 2:34 AM

I’m going to assume lux = scented candle from TJ Maxx.

by Anonymousreply 212November 19, 2019 3:00 AM

Lol r212

by Anonymousreply 213November 19, 2019 12:10 PM

I have yet to see something expensive that was actually nice!

by Anonymousreply 214November 19, 2019 3:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!