Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Important 'gay' movies. List them.

I'll start.

Aligarh.

This a an Indian movie. Very touching, real and devastating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 24, 2019 5:07 PM

All About Eve.

by Anonymousreply 1November 9, 2019 1:37 PM

Death in Venice

by Anonymousreply 2November 9, 2019 1:46 PM

Maurice

by Anonymousreply 3November 9, 2019 2:03 PM

Maurice

by Anonymousreply 4November 9, 2019 2:03 PM

A Man of No Importance (1994)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 9, 2019 2:03 PM

Non-American/British movies:

Gemini since its is the first ever gay movie for the country of Burma.

Arisan! which is the second movie in Indonesian history to sweep Indonesia's version of the Oscars and the first and only movie with gay characters to do so.

by Anonymousreply 6November 9, 2019 2:05 PM

Midnight Cowboy and Sunday, Bloody Sunday (both by gay director John Schlesinger)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 9, 2019 2:06 PM

Brokeback Mountain - the first gay film to transcend the gay market. I've gone back a read recent reviews. Even deplorable-ish people say in their reviews "love is love". This was a hugely important movie for the gay community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 9, 2019 2:09 PM

Pier Paolo Pasolini's "Teorema"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 9, 2019 2:17 PM

Gentlemen Prefer Blonds.

Camp and beefcake for the boys.

Lesbian subtext and cheesecake for the girls.

Also contains the original and often imitated musical number: "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend."

by Anonymousreply 10November 9, 2019 2:35 PM

Hellbent - the first gay horror film! Who knew there was a woodsy forest just behind Santa Monica Blvd. As a gayling, I thought it was very cool to have a gay horror flick. It's probably not very good, but remember enjoying it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 9, 2019 2:55 PM

I think the most "important" gay film ever made is VICTIM, as it was absolutely instrumental in the decision to change the law in the UK in 1967 decriminalising sex between men.

by Anonymousreply 12November 9, 2019 5:51 PM

Moonlight

Wild Reeds

Presque Rien

Advise and Consent

Gods and Monsters

Something for Everyone

Cabaret

Victim

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Longtime Companion

A Single Man

by Anonymousreply 13November 9, 2019 7:39 PM

Dog Day Afternoon (Obviously) The Wizard Of Oz Brokeback Mountain And The Band Played On The Crying Game A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

by Anonymousreply 14December 24, 2019 3:22 PM

Sorry, didn't format right

Dog Day Afternoon

The Wizard Of Oz

Brokeback Mountain

And The Band Played On

The Crying Game

A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

Milk

Call Me By Your Name

by Anonymousreply 15December 24, 2019 3:24 PM

Almost every John Waters movie, especially Hairspray (1988) and Pink Flamingoes.

by Anonymousreply 16December 24, 2019 3:24 PM

The Boys in the Band - 1969, probably the first major American film about out gay men

My Beautiful Laundrette - a great British love story from 1985 starring a very young Daniel Day Lewis as a gay skinhead

Latter Days - one of the better opposites attract / Romeo and Romeo gay romantic dramas

Making Love - from 1982, not a brilliant film by any stretch but quite groundbreaking for its high profile and use of mainstream stars playing gay/bi

Parting Glances and

Longtime Companion - two of the best films about gay men living through the nadir of the AIDS epidemic

by Anonymousreply 17December 24, 2019 3:37 PM

R17 Parting Glances was the first one that came to my mind. That's where we first met the future Mimi Bobeck in quite a different role! I used to know Kathy Kinney, and what you see here is how she is in person. A kind, funny lady who worked hard for years and found success by pure accident!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 24, 2019 4:14 PM

Andrew Haigh's Weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 24, 2019 4:16 PM

A Beautiful Thing –Film adaptation of the play about gay teens in London. It didn't set out to shock, titillate, or preach. It was just a sweet love story, convincingly done, that left you feeling just a little less hopeless about the future.

by Anonymousreply 20December 24, 2019 4:42 PM

"Before the Fall"...adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice" - a very sweet movie. I think I saw it on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 21December 24, 2019 5:03 PM

R20 The scene with Mama Cass in the background "Make Your Own Kind of Music" after the two boys visit a gay bar and they run through the woods triumphing in their love is one of the most tear inducing scenes I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 22December 24, 2019 5:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!