Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MIDWAY (2019) is the most mediocre War film I have ever seen, with the HOTTEST Male Cast

Seriously, the film itself is entertaining as hell but felt like a soap opera at times, with mediocre acting and the pacing is off. The film starts off super exciting and fun but tragic, and the first 40 minutes or so are moving at a great fast pace, keeping you engaged and entertained. By the time the first hour is done, you start to get bored, as it slows down drastically.

But on a positive note, there are some hotties in this movie.

Ed Skrein

Luke Evans

Patrick Wilson

Woody Harrelson

Dennis Quaid

Darren Criss

Nick Jonas

Luke Kleintank

Aaron Eckhart

Alexander Ludwig

Cameron Brodeur (who is a hot Twink)

I was amazed by all the hot white man candy in this! I thought to myself, "no way did any of the real men look like this", and then in the end they show photos of the real men with a story etc. and in one you see a few of the real guys and they were cute! Ugh, all those cuties died, so many cute lives lost.

I did like that in the end of the film it dedicated the film to all the American men that died during that war AND all the Japanese men also. I thought that was tasteful, as most War films only acknowledge the Americans.

I laughed when *SPOILERS AHEAD* Darren Criss dies. He is not a developed character at all, but when he dies they make it so dramatic, as if we are supposed to care that he just died. LMAOOOO. I cared more when Alexander Ludwig dies in the beginning of the movie vs. Criss near the end!!! It was dumb. Same when Nick Jonas dies. I rolled my eyes.

Some of it was not believable. Ed Skrein comes off like an invincible robot, as he dodges bullets with his plane, and no matter how close he is and no matter how many shots fired at him, he nor his plane are ever hit, but others are dying left and right. Also, his accent was TERRIBLE! He was supposed to be from Minneapolis originally, but speaks with a NY accent. It was ridiculous.

Luke Wilson was the most sincere in this film and came off like a real human, unlike mostly everyone else. Him and Alexander Ludwig, and thats about all.

Entertaining though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 27, 2020 7:25 AM

How does it compare to the 1976 film? I've loved it since my high school history teacher showed it to us.

by Anonymousreply 1November 8, 2019 3:19 AM

R1 the 1976 film is more realistic. This one is more “fun”.

One critic said this one feels like a “cartoon” it’s so over the top at times.

by Anonymousreply 2November 8, 2019 3:39 AM

Luke Wilson is not even in the movie. Don't you mean Patrick Wilson?

by Anonymousreply 3November 8, 2019 11:01 AM

Nancy Wilson

by Anonymousreply 4November 8, 2019 11:22 AM

Wiiiiiiilson!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 8, 2019 11:24 AM

He means me, bitches

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 8, 2019 11:25 AM

Luke Evans is in it. That means I'm going to see it. And I sincerely hope Luke gets better management. He's so damned talented and so hot he needs to be getting better roles and doing better work.

by Anonymousreply 7November 8, 2019 11:57 AM

I’ve made a rule for myself to never go see movies just for the eye candy unless they’re rated R. If those bevys of hot actors aren’t nude, what’s the point?

by Anonymousreply 8November 8, 2019 12:02 PM

R7 he doesn’t get better roles because he’s gay. Welcome to real life.

And Patrick Wilson. His ass looks divine.

by Anonymousreply 9November 8, 2019 12:26 PM

Does Patrick go full bubble?

by Anonymousreply 10November 8, 2019 12:40 PM

No nudity. It’s a bro film. It’s 100% white straight men killing those Japs (and being killed by them).

by Anonymousreply 11November 8, 2019 12:46 PM

Jesus Christ. I thought it was a stupid, paint by numbers, straight bro Michael Bay movie and then I see it's from Roland Emmerich. What the fuck? I can almost smell the douche fumes coming from that trailer and it smells like burned hair and ass crack sweat! Of course, America will love it (USA, USA, USA!).

by Anonymousreply 12November 8, 2019 1:00 PM

R12 my showing had maybe 12 people in it, all men, 2 black men and the rest white.

One got up and clapped when the Americans won.

by Anonymousreply 13November 8, 2019 1:28 PM

How do they make Criss' movie death dramatic? Also it's a Emmerich movie. Did anyone expect developed characters?

by Anonymousreply 14November 8, 2019 1:28 PM

R11 Precisely why people won’t go see it. I don’t know why Hollywood hasn’t put two and two together about the fact that when you have a bunch of super hot guys in a shitty film that nobody would see otherwise, the way to get asses in seats is to have them get naked. Why the fuck do they think Magic Mike did so well?

by Anonymousreply 15November 8, 2019 1:47 PM

R15 it's a war movie though, not a movie about strippers.

by Anonymousreply 16November 8, 2019 1:49 PM

Exactly r16. Who compares a stripper movie to a war movie?

And Magic Mike wasn’t aimed at straight men. War films are. Magic Mikes audience was women. Straight men don’t want MALE nudity in their films. They want tits.

by Anonymousreply 17November 8, 2019 2:04 PM

Magic Mike audience was 82% female. Only 18% male.

The sequel was 96% female. Only 4% male.

Only a delusional gay troll living in a bubble thinks straight men want male nudity in their films.

by Anonymousreply 18November 8, 2019 2:07 PM

And we know full well who those 20% male were!

by Anonymousreply 19November 8, 2019 2:17 PM

MIDWAY through a full blown migraine.

by Anonymousreply 20November 8, 2019 2:18 PM

Now, let's be reasonable. There are some straight guys movies where guys are shown naked.

Backdraft, for example.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 8, 2019 2:26 PM

Then there is the mixed gender shower scene in the rah-rah war mongering in space Starship Troopers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 8, 2019 2:29 PM

Yes. There has been brief male nudity in certain types of Films aimed at men, but not without reason. And that was for female audience members that may be there.

They know not many women are going to see a movie about the Midway Battle, so they don’t even bother.

by Anonymousreply 23November 8, 2019 2:30 PM

[quote] There has been brief male nudity in certain types of Films aimed at men, but not without reason.

... but not without reason? Like there is so much male nudity out there in movies WITHOUT reason? Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 24November 8, 2019 2:34 PM

A friend and I are going to see Midway today. Gotta see those cute guys!

by Anonymousreply 25November 8, 2019 2:36 PM

The reason being = to attract a female audience as well.

by Anonymousreply 26November 8, 2019 2:36 PM

Anyone with a brain knows they don’t put male nudity in a movie geared toward men unless they are doing it to attract women to see it also.

And they don’t do it these days much, they used to do it b

by Anonymousreply 27November 8, 2019 4:09 PM

Wikipedia, which can't always be relied upon, lists Charton Heston as making a cameo. Did they insert a CGI recreation of him in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 28November 8, 2019 4:27 PM

Ew why is fugly Nick Jonas in this?

by Anonymousreply 29November 8, 2019 5:23 PM

Nick Jonas is stupid. Idk why he is always around.

by Anonymousreply 30November 8, 2019 5:40 PM

Looks like that horrible Pearl Harbor film of some years ago- I'm a WW2 history junkie and I cannot stand it when they take license with the truth- as they did in Pearl Harbor. The Battle of Midway was a fascinating strategic and intelligence duel that the Americans got right and defeated a much larger force- luck played a role as well. It's such a good story it does not need the soap opera angle. Oh well. Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 31November 8, 2019 5:48 PM

Seriously, what the fuck is up with Ed Skrein's blaccent?

by Anonymousreply 32November 8, 2019 6:02 PM

Roland used to be really good at Big Dumb Fun Movies. He seems to have lost his touch.

by Anonymousreply 33November 8, 2019 6:11 PM

Yes. His ACCENT was terrible. Many Italian and Irish NY Natives spoke like that also. Has nothing to do with black

by Anonymousreply 34November 8, 2019 6:29 PM

r31, the reviews are at least commenting that the film is largely historically accurate, despite the by-the-numbers script and cartoonish direction. A key difference between this film and Pearl Harbor is that this film focuses on real people, whereas Pearl Harbor centered around fictional characters.

by Anonymousreply 35November 8, 2019 6:47 PM

At least this movie doesn’t have Ben Affleck.

by Anonymousreply 36November 8, 2019 6:48 PM

You forgot Keean Johnson OP.

by Anonymousreply 37November 8, 2019 6:49 PM

Who does Darren Criss play? The air squadron's pass-around bottom?

by Anonymousreply 38November 8, 2019 6:51 PM

R38 Lieutenant Commander Eugene Lindsey is the real guys position and name. Criss has died in his last couple role roles between Versace and this. Just from the trailer I could tell this was going to be a bland by the numbers war flick.

by Anonymousreply 39November 8, 2019 7:02 PM

The real man wasn’t Asian.

by Anonymousreply 40November 8, 2019 7:06 PM

R40 true but Criss being half white can sort of pass.

by Anonymousreply 41November 8, 2019 7:08 PM

This is the real man Darren is playing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 8, 2019 7:33 PM

Ed Skrein is so hot in that 40s masculinity way.

But yes, the reviews are merciless.

by Anonymousreply 43November 8, 2019 7:35 PM

"Didn't I promise you fireworks?"

--a quote from another Roland Emmerich film, cheesy but at least it was entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 44November 8, 2019 7:39 PM

This was a really interesting battle. After this, it was a predetermined outcome. 3 years before the war finally ended! Too bad they didn’t see and act on that at the time.

by Anonymousreply 45November 8, 2019 8:04 PM

[quote] Too bad they didn’t see and act on that at the time.

Japanese leaders knew after Midway that there was no way they could win the war.

Yamamoto's plans had all been to get the USA to negotiate. He knew that once the industrial might of the USA kicked into wartime production that the Japanese could not win.

by Anonymousreply 46November 8, 2019 8:10 PM

This seems like the kind of movie that will have a lot of historically inaccurate dialogue like "Don't go there!" and "That's GOTTA hurt!"

by Anonymousreply 47November 8, 2019 8:16 PM

Emmerich used to be able to insert homoerotic and subtextually gay themes in all his films (alien implied buttsex, male rape, shower scenes, asexual Godzilla) but couldn't manage a decent ACTUALLY gay film (Stonewall), so now it's back to CGI Purgatory; cute faces, no hotness.

Zoomers and Xoomers don't care about WWII. It's nothing to them. Military movies used to have plenty of opportunities for group showers at least.

Stupid Roland has packed away his gay gaze for revisionist videogame violence that anally rapes historical facts.

by Anonymousreply 48November 8, 2019 8:26 PM

Also, r47: "We got COMPANY!" as Japanese Zeroes zoom in to attack.

by Anonymousreply 49November 8, 2019 9:28 PM

It was surprising to hear an ensign who, after being given orders, replied to the captain," Ok, Boomer." How ahead of his time.

by Anonymousreply 50November 8, 2019 10:56 PM

Nick Jonas? Ugh. I hate stunt casting.

by Anonymousreply 51November 8, 2019 10:59 PM

Nick Jonas is a great actor. He's been in many films now.

by Anonymousreply 52November 8, 2019 11:44 PM

I’d love to be the middle of an Aaron Eckhart/Patrick Wilson sandwich. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 53November 8, 2019 11:55 PM

Nick Jonas looks so old in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 54November 9, 2019 12:14 AM

Nick isn’t a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 55November 9, 2019 12:17 AM

Nick Jonas was not only lame in this, but miscast. He was playing someone much older than him.

by Anonymousreply 56November 9, 2019 12:24 AM

Did Nick Jonas get this role after a "private audition" with Roland Emmerich?

by Anonymousreply 57November 9, 2019 2:15 AM

[quote]He was playing someone much older than him.

Bruno Gaido was born in 1916, he was 25 or 26 when he died. Jonas is 26.

by Anonymousreply 58November 9, 2019 6:32 AM

I thought that the scene where Gaido shoots down an attacking Japanese bomber with his guns from aboard the Enterprise was fabricated, but apparently it really did happen.

by Anonymousreply 59November 9, 2019 6:36 AM

Does the film show what happened to Gaido and O'Flaherty?

by Anonymousreply 60November 9, 2019 6:45 AM

It can't be worse than Pearl Harbor with Affleck

by Anonymousreply 61November 9, 2019 7:07 AM

Skrein's lisp was driving me crazy. He spoke in a deep voice with that terrible accent, until one scene he said (in what must be his normal, much higher and lighter voice): "Give thith to ...." (I can't exactly remember the rest of the sentence, but there was more lisping. He was right up there with Sylvester.) I was expecting a purse to pop out any moment.

I was disappointed that none of the plane were named or decorated (which would not be politically correct). But I thought Luke Evans and Dennis Quaid were good. The rest of the cast.......no.

by Anonymousreply 62November 9, 2019 7:24 AM

Dennis Quaid was good. Aaron Eckhart also with the little they gave him... basically the older actors were good for the most part.

The younger guys were meh at best.

Nick Jonas looked stupid. R60 the film shows they drowned him.

by Anonymousreply 63November 9, 2019 2:22 PM

None of the plane?! WTF?

by Anonymousreply 64November 9, 2019 2:43 PM

Thanks, R63, I wondered if they covered that.

It was not known until after the war.

Other crews that never made it back were just lost.

by Anonymousreply 65November 9, 2019 3:14 PM

Come to think of it, has Roland Emmerich ever given us male skin? What kind of gay is he?

by Anonymousreply 66November 9, 2019 3:56 PM

One that has respect for others.

by Anonymousreply 67November 9, 2019 4:05 PM

I'm sure Roland saw plenty of skin when he was holding auditions for this thing....

by Anonymousreply 68November 9, 2019 4:09 PM

Luke Evans with Ed Skrein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 9, 2019 4:44 PM

Three Midway actors get good reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 9, 2019 4:46 PM

How many of those Navy guys were 'mos in real life?

by Anonymousreply 71November 9, 2019 4:55 PM

Why did these Americans take a photo with the enemy??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 9, 2019 4:59 PM

It took a moment for me to get into the film because it had the rousing derring-do energy of old Hollywood so it felt like a parody - Ed Skrein and Nick Jonas with their Bawston and New Yawk accents. Evans was the only one of the Naval crews who wasn't over the top.

[quote]Come to think of it, has Roland Emmerich ever given us male skin? What kind of gay is he?

I think Jeremy Irvine had a butt shot in Stonewall.

by Anonymousreply 73November 9, 2019 5:08 PM

R72

That is a picture of some of crew from the Doolittle raid and I suspect the Asian men in the picture are Chinese.

In fact, I believe the shortest man in the front line center is James Doolittle and that is his crew who bailed out over China. I think the man in the front row, on Doolittle's right is Richard Cole who was Doolittle's co-pilot who died earlier this year (April 19, 2019) at age 103.

by Anonymousreply 74November 9, 2019 5:20 PM

R74 You are correct.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 9, 2019 7:21 PM

It's tracking to debut at #1 this weekend

by Anonymousreply 76November 9, 2019 8:11 PM

I watched it again, and I liked it more the second time.

by Anonymousreply 77November 9, 2019 11:08 PM

One of the best films of the year. My heart was pounding the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 78November 10, 2019 4:27 AM

Is it in Sensurround?

by Anonymousreply 79November 10, 2019 6:47 AM

I can only imagine all the hot gay sex that occurred among all the hot closeted actors in this cast. Wish there could be a BTS documentary.

by Anonymousreply 80November 10, 2019 8:17 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 81November 10, 2019 2:45 PM

It won the box office with $17.5 million with DOCTOR SLEEP coming in second with $14.5 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 10, 2019 3:17 PM

I'm surprised. I didn't see any ads for Midway until like 5 days ago but I've been seeing Doctor Sleep ads for like 3 months

by Anonymousreply 83November 10, 2019 6:15 PM

No one wants to see a sequel to The Shining. Leave good things alone.

Midway attracts dude bro’s.

by Anonymousreply 84November 10, 2019 7:47 PM

Unsurprisingly I read that a large majority of the theater goers have been older males according to ticket sales.

by Anonymousreply 85November 10, 2019 7:58 PM

Roland Emmerich makes movies for morons.

by Anonymousreply 86November 10, 2019 8:00 PM

It was a lot better than I thought it would be

by Anonymousreply 87November 11, 2019 2:49 AM

The action scenes, production design, and Patrick Wilson’s solid performance save the movie from the tepid script. I actually wish it had been longer - we don’t even see the attacks on the Yorktown and the Hammann.

by Anonymousreply 88November 13, 2019 3:42 AM

You see the Yorktown getting hit in the first attack, after that it disappears. Bear in mind that the losses of the Yorktown and Hammann (as well as the Mikuma) had no bearing on the outcome of the battle. Once Spruance turned his fleet back from Yamamoto the deal was sealed.

by Anonymousreply 89November 13, 2019 4:05 AM

I want to see this film because of Luke Evans.

by Anonymousreply 90November 13, 2019 5:42 AM

Me too

by Anonymousreply 91November 13, 2019 2:56 PM

Luke Evans isn’t even attractive in the face.

As for the movie, I liked it. But Ed Skrein was awful.

Nick Jonas looked ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 92November 14, 2019 5:58 PM

But is it in Academy Award Winning SENSURROUND?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 14, 2019 7:03 PM

Watch "A Bridge Too Far" for hunky warriors and a good story line.

by Anonymousreply 94November 14, 2019 7:07 PM

Agree with r92 re Ed Skrein: he overacts so excessively that his character comes off less as cocky and more as just a complete asshole. He's also very ugly to look at.

by Anonymousreply 95November 14, 2019 7:16 PM

Skrein is awkward in every role

by Anonymousreply 96November 15, 2019 4:41 AM

#1 at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 97November 15, 2019 5:24 AM

It’s not terrible, for an Emmerich movie. It’s heart is in the right place. The hottest guys are mostly supporting players. Some of them are beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 98November 15, 2019 5:38 AM

It's paint by numbers, lowest common denominator (USA, USA, USA!) shit appealing to the shit loving masses. And people are shocked that it's #1? The US mainstream is what keeps those Hollywood blockbuster (superhero) movies more than profitable.

by Anonymousreply 99November 15, 2019 8:32 AM

I sat behind an elder white man and his son (probably in his 30s) that was annoying the shit of me during this movie.

I was also with a Hispanic friend, Very light brown skin and has a beard, and the man kept looking back at him. Later when his son shows up we hear him going on about the “Muslim” (he isn’t Muslim) and how the only reason he or liberals would come see this movie is to get more angry at Trump and etc.

I don’t know how he connected this movie to Trump, but he did.

by Anonymousreply 100November 15, 2019 2:04 PM

R88 -“I actually wished it had been longer”

by Anonymousreply 101November 18, 2019 10:19 AM

It felt too long

by Anonymousreply 102November 18, 2019 2:44 PM

I heard that only the ugly people die!

by Anonymousreply 103November 19, 2019 8:52 AM

It was a shit movie.

by Anonymousreply 104January 2, 2020 4:25 PM

Nick Jonas portrayed Bruno Gaido with a New York accent, but the sailor grew up in Milwaukee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 27, 2020 6:25 AM

I actually liked the film.

I think it's the only Roland Emmerich movie I would give 4/4 stars to.

by Anonymousreply 106July 27, 2020 6:54 AM

I enjoyed some of the action sequences and occasional eye candy, but the film fell apart when anyone talked with stupid dialogue. Ed Skrein’s New Jersey accent was atrocious and a caricature even for the 40’s. It’s a myth that all UK actors can ‘do’ an American accent well. The only one worse recently was Daniel Craig’s channelling Colonel Sanders in Knives Out. There were also some huge errors in the film like the Marshall Islands battle over high mountains when these islands are low lying atolls in real life. The film was shambolic overall.

by Anonymousreply 107July 27, 2020 7:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!