Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cars singer Ric Ocasek cut his model wife Paulina Porzikova out of his will claiming 'she abandoned me'

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296February 29, 2020 4:39 PM

For reasons which are well know to her.

by Anonymousreply 1November 7, 2019 11:50 PM

Well, he had a point.

by Anonymousreply 2November 7, 2019 11:52 PM

This poor man's put his head in Jamie Lee Curtis Head-Squashing Vise.

by Anonymousreply 3November 7, 2019 11:55 PM

And yet... she found his body.

by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2019 11:55 PM

Was he really transitioning?

by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2019 11:55 PM

It's as bad as we thought. He died depressed and with a broken heart. Whatever he was going through, I'm sure his emotional problems and stress hastened his demise. Tragic.

by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2019 11:55 PM

He met her when she was 18 and left his wife for her. Expecting a young woman twenty years your junior to stay with you until death do you part is absolutely daft.

by Anonymousreply 7November 8, 2019 12:01 AM

I knew it came off as way too wrapped up in a pretty box with a bow considering how fucking long they were together. Something was off. Maybe he was developing dementia? Perhaps they were doing the "stick it out for the children" thing and then she bolted? She picked up the pieces and got ahead of the story, both when the divorce went down and when he died. She could have been at the house for any reason when he died, and prettied up the "he died peacefully and I was there" narrative.

by Anonymousreply 8November 8, 2019 12:01 AM

R5, I keep thinking about that. It’s quite possible.

But didn’t he cheat on HER? I thought he dumped her for a younger woman

by Anonymousreply 9November 8, 2019 12:03 AM

Her Instagram post about his death:

paulinaporizkov Verified

Ric and I have been separated for nearly three years now. But we still lived together and still filled the family car. Everyone who knew Ric knew that he could be aloof. And not particularly social. But when he decided to turn his focus on you, it was as if the sun came out. His smile and his gaze warmed you and made you feel like the most special person in the world. I had that gaze and smile on me for most of my life. For a long long time, no one could make me feels as loved as Ric. He was my sun. With this, I don’t mean my sunshine, no, Ric could be pretty gloomy. In fact, when we first met , he reveled in his nickname “the Master of Doom”. But in my universe, it was where he rose and where he set that was the point to which I oriented myself. Like a plant, I tilted my head to catch his rays. Our separation didn’t alter this one bit. He was rising and setting and I planned my life around it as one does a day: depending on the position of the sun in the sky: you’ll have breakfast or go to work or dinner with your friends. His death is the end of my world as I knew it.

by Anonymousreply 10November 8, 2019 12:06 AM

This seems petty and stupid, considering I think she still had respect for him and hasn't bad-mouthed him at all.

by Anonymousreply 11November 8, 2019 12:06 AM

A filing listed with Ocasek’s will show that his assets include $5 million in “copyrights” — but just $100,000 in “tangible personal property” and $15,000 in cash.

The document doesn’t break down what constitutes the “copyrights” assets.

While $5.115 million may seem on the low-end for a rock-legend such as Ocasek, a Trusts and Estates lawyer who examined the document told The Post the Cars’ frontman likely had money stashed away in other trusts.

Like many high-profile deceased stars, Ocasek could have stored away “many millions of dollars worth of assets.”

“That’s the reason people use trusts: to protect their privacy,” the lawyer noted.

Ocasek, in his will, appears to have also stiffed two of his six sons — though not the children he had with Porizkova.

It’s possible the two sons who were left out in the will have been compensated through other financial means, a lawyer said.

“I can only assume that they either get nothing, or were provided for in some other way through another trust or with life insurance,” the trusts and estates lawyer said.

The document indicates that Ocasek signed the will on Aug. 28, less than a month before his death.

by Anonymousreply 12November 8, 2019 12:09 AM

He was a rockstar. It's not surprising if he saw himself as the centre of the universe.

by Anonymousreply 13November 8, 2019 12:09 AM

I don't know what to make of this. His estate is also pitifully small, just $5 million in copyrights (so, theoretical future money), $100K in assets, $15K cash?

It's not adding up. Did he stash a fortune in offshore accounts, maybe even giving Paulina access to them? Was this about avoiding estate taxes?

Or was he just a rat bastard?

by Anonymousreply 14November 8, 2019 12:09 AM

He hadn't sold where he lived yet, right? That wasn't counted in the assets? That was multiple millions.

by Anonymousreply 15November 8, 2019 12:11 AM

He stashed it in trusts as Bourdain did.

by Anonymousreply 16November 8, 2019 12:12 AM

Was "Drive" the Cars' only hit?

by Anonymousreply 17November 8, 2019 12:12 AM

She looks really haunted. I have no doubt she loved him. He sounds quite impossible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 8, 2019 12:12 AM

Is that smart @R16?

by Anonymousreply 19November 8, 2019 12:13 AM

He wrote all of those hit songs and also produced some very big hit records. He’s got lots of money stashed somewhere.

Just because Paulina hasn’t trashed him publicly doesn’t mean that she isn’t a monster behind closed doors.

Unless she has a signed commitment/contract granting her access to his money, he doesn’t owe her a dime, He must really hate her to leave her with absolutely nothing. Ouch. Humiliating.

by Anonymousreply 20November 8, 2019 12:15 AM

I was around when Ric Ocasek changed music. I find it hard to believe he only has $5M in music copyrights. The Cars had lots of hits. If you were around in the early to mid 80s you heard him on the radio all the time. Plus he was in demand as a producer. His production of "I Might Like You Better (If We Slept Together)" by Rome Void was fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 8, 2019 12:15 AM

A trust greatly reduces estate taxes

by Anonymousreply 22November 8, 2019 12:16 AM

“I have no doubt that she loved him”

Do you know her? Unless you’re her confidante, you sound like a deluded asshole.

by Anonymousreply 23November 8, 2019 12:17 AM

[Quote] she isn’t a monster behind closed doors.

You think a man with so many options would put up with a monster for decades?

by Anonymousreply 24November 8, 2019 12:20 AM

I find it difficult to believe he left her with absolutely nothing. End run around an estate tax or capital gains?

by Anonymousreply 25November 8, 2019 12:21 AM

Who was he? She used to be a model, but one that only looks good in still photos. Were they some rock power couple? Paula was a very blunt spoken woman with little finesse or sensitivity on America's Next Top Model. Tyra hated her. Did her husband have hit records.

by Anonymousreply 26November 8, 2019 12:22 AM

I love what she wrote on her IG account. It seems honest, and true. How often have some of us been with people whose mood dictated what you did that day. She didn't shy away from saying negative things, which make me think that the positive is also true.

Plus, no way is that all of his assets. That is inconceivable. He must have millions and millions stashed away somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 27November 8, 2019 12:25 AM

He was considered the coolest of the cool and the skinniest of the skinnies in the early mid 80s. The Cars album almost single-handedly dragged us out of Disco and was the seminal band of the New Wave that came later.

The New York Times said: "They have taken some important but disparate contemporary trends—punk minimalism, the labyrinthine synthesizer and guitar textures of art rock, the '50s rockabilly revival and the melodious terseness of power pop—and mixed them into a personal and appealing blend."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 8, 2019 12:29 AM

R17 Drive was their biggest, a number 3 hit in 1984. But they had many top 40 songs.

by Anonymousreply 29November 8, 2019 12:29 AM

She left him AND his money. It must have become all too gloomy. So, his suicide shouldn't profit her. He sounds mean and cold, unhappy. Paula is a woman who speaks the truth in an unvarnished way. She has the rest of her life to live and his (unfortunate) lookalike sons to love. I'm sure they love their mom. Ocasek had two other wives and four other kids. But I've still never heard of his music. Was he like Pat Benetar - some big star of the 1980s who doesn't translate? Datalounge is always 40 years behind. I get confused.

by Anonymousreply 30November 8, 2019 12:33 AM

He looked like a fugly ghoul even when he was young. She could have done so much better, but stayed with him for a hell of a long time for a celebrity marriage. He sounds like a petty asshole. Sure, she probably has her issues too, but til death do us part is simply not a viable option for most people in modern times. People live a hell of a long time now and they often grow apart. Life is too short to stay in a relationship that isn't working for you any more. And if she had really "abandoned him" she wouldn't have been there at all.

by Anonymousreply 31November 8, 2019 12:33 AM

Fuck, now I have to go back to working for Tyra.

by Anonymousreply 32November 8, 2019 12:34 AM

I remember everyone shaking their heads when they got together. She was beautiful. It was like when Julia Roberts married Lyle Lovett. People were like "wha? But she came off as super smart and articulate. No dummy. So he must have had something she liked because he sure wasn't much to look at.

by Anonymousreply 33November 8, 2019 12:35 AM

I loved "Emotion in Motion."

by Anonymousreply 34November 8, 2019 12:36 AM

If you don’t know who he was or what her name was, why are you even here?

by Anonymousreply 35November 8, 2019 12:37 AM

[quote]So he must have had something she liked because he sure wasn't much to look at.

And apparently it wasn't money either.

by Anonymousreply 36November 8, 2019 12:37 AM

I remember reading an interview with her where she said when she was a little girl, she wanted to marry Spock. Then she grew up and sort of . . . did.

by Anonymousreply 37November 8, 2019 12:38 AM

Love her. She was in one of the Cars' videos. She wrote a candid piece quite a while back about female beauty, and how models can feel to lose their looks as they age, when they’ve always been gorgeous from the jump.

by Anonymousreply 38November 8, 2019 12:39 AM

The lead singer was dreamy. Those eyes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 8, 2019 12:39 AM

r433

As Mrs Merton said to the lovely Debbie McGee: "What first attracted you to the millionaire, Paul Daniels?"

by Anonymousreply 40November 8, 2019 12:40 AM

[quote]But in my universe, it was where he rose and where he set that was the point to which I oriented myself. Like a plant, I tilted my head to catch his rays. Our separation didn’t alter this one bit. He was rising and setting and I planned my life around it as one does a day: depending on the position of the sun in the sky:

If Paulina is thinking of titling her memoir "Touched By the Sun", it's been taken.

by Anonymousreply 41November 8, 2019 12:44 AM

His production of Romeo Void's second album, "Benefactor," was brilliant. He brought out that band's talent and strength. "Ventilation" is one of my favourite songs.

by Anonymousreply 42November 8, 2019 12:49 AM

Their Gramercy townhouse alone is worth over $12 million. His estate has to be worth more than $5 million and, as others have said, must be mainly in private trusts that aren’t mentioned in the will.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 8, 2019 12:49 AM

The comment in the will may just be to put the taxman off the scent of the offshore assets Paulina will be getting. I can't think of any other reason he'd be so hateful to his wife of 3 decades in a public document. He could have simply said that he was leaving her nothing because they were divorcing and the finances had already been settled: No need to call her out for 'abandoning' him.

by Anonymousreply 44November 8, 2019 12:51 AM

[quote]His production of Romeo Void's second album, "Benefactor," was brilliant. He brought out that band's talent and strength. "Ventilation" is one of my favourite songs.

Poor Debora Iyall. Went to see her live once in SF. Someone threw a box of donuts at her and she fled the stage in tears.

by Anonymousreply 45November 8, 2019 12:52 AM

R30. I suspect you might be willfully ignorant here. I don't know how it i possible to not be familiar with at least a few of their hits. They were huge. Granted, the 80's were some time ago, but their music is played everywhere, all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 8, 2019 12:54 AM

[quote]Their Gramercy townhouse alone is worth over $12 million.

Thought so. He can't have been that stupid to be so poor. He never said much about anything. Can't remember any big interviews. Savvy. Definitely avoiding the taxman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 8, 2019 12:56 AM

That was cutie Benjamin Orr singing on "Drive." He died of pancreatic cancer in his early 50s. The Cars dedicated albums to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 8, 2019 1:00 AM

Size meat verificatia?

by Anonymousreply 49November 8, 2019 1:01 AM

I'm pretty sure "the taxman" has seen every trick in the book. "Oh, he was mean to her in his will, let's leave her alone then." No. Slamming her in his final public document was most certainly personal and deliberate.

by Anonymousreply 50November 8, 2019 1:07 AM

If Ric Ocasek wasn't a rock star he wouldn't have even been allowed in the same room with someone like her. Saw her twice on the street in NY. Once about 7 oclock at night after a blistering hot humid dog day of summer, everyone was walking around looking like drowned rats and up to the curb looking for a cab comes Paulina looking about 10 months pregnant, ready to pop, hell, she might have been on her way to the hospital, but she looked so gorgeous. My friends and I gave her our cab.

by Anonymousreply 51November 8, 2019 1:09 AM

R30, I think you might be willfully ignorant. I know the Cars had their greatest success in the 80's, but some of those songs are still played everywhere, all the time. To claim no knowledge of them would be like me claiming I don't know any Sinatra songs because he was of my parent's generation. Despite being 30-odd years old, some of the the Cars' songs are inescapable. And some are pretty great, including this one, their first big hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 8, 2019 1:09 AM

sorry for double posting. The original post didnt show up for a while, so I thought it might have gotten lost.

by Anonymousreply 53November 8, 2019 1:10 AM

That album cover at R52 is iconic. It kind of symbolized for me the fun that was coming once disco died and the new wave scene exploded in LA.

by Anonymousreply 54November 8, 2019 1:12 AM

"Drive" was a breakup song. I remember my ex leaving it on my answering machine.

by Anonymousreply 55November 8, 2019 1:13 AM

I only know of the Cars from that album cover above.

by Anonymousreply 56November 8, 2019 1:13 AM

Not sure about those decorative shutters on the Gramercy townhouse.

by Anonymousreply 57November 8, 2019 1:17 AM

I never thought that Drive was a break-up song, R55. I always thought it was about an addict who has pushed all of his/her friends away. Listen to the lyrics; it really is about someone who has no one left to help them or be honest with them.

by Anonymousreply 58November 8, 2019 1:18 AM

Paulina interview from 2009.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 8, 2019 1:18 AM

There was always something special about Paulina that set her apart from other models of the day. Probably her smarts and sex appeal. They usually don't come in the same package.

by Anonymousreply 60November 8, 2019 1:20 AM

He may have cut her out because he had to pay her a lot in the divorce. Even if they had a prenup, it's very difficult to not pay anything to your wife of 28 years.

by Anonymousreply 61November 8, 2019 1:22 AM

But they aren't even legally divorced, R61.

by Anonymousreply 62November 8, 2019 1:25 AM

Whatever happened between them it's still so very cool that they stayed together 28 years and raised three sons together. The kids look more like Ric.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 8, 2019 1:25 AM

R69 you are right. And she’s also got a pretty good sense of humor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 8, 2019 1:25 AM

Meant for R60 ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 65November 8, 2019 1:26 AM

If they weren't legally divorced, it's even harder to truly disinherit her. She could probably contest the will if she wanted to. She may not need the money.

by Anonymousreply 66November 8, 2019 1:26 AM

At least the sons look human. It took all of Paulina's beauty to leaven Ocasek's astonishing ugliness.

by Anonymousreply 67November 8, 2019 1:27 AM

[quote]I always thought it was about an addict who has pushed all of his/her friends away. Listen to the lyrics; it really is about someone who has no one left to help them or be honest with them.

I think it was the line "Who's gonna drive you home tonight." My ex didn't have a car.

by Anonymousreply 68November 8, 2019 1:27 AM

I agree R64. Brains, beauty, and a healthy sense of self-effacing humor.

by Anonymousreply 69November 8, 2019 1:29 AM

She made a fortune during her modeling career, especially with her Estée Lauder and Revlon contracts.

Wouldn’t be surprising if she and Ric kept much of their finances separate, but then he owned the house and paid for anything to do with raising the kids.

by Anonymousreply 70November 8, 2019 1:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 8, 2019 1:33 AM

Her boys are handsome, even if not typically handsome. So they may have Rics face and head shape but Paulina managed to erase the genetic ugly stick!

by Anonymousreply 72November 8, 2019 1:35 AM

You can't disinherit your spouse, not under New York law. She's entitled to override the will and take at least a portion of the estate.

by Anonymousreply 73November 8, 2019 1:36 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 8, 2019 1:36 AM

I bet she was the coolest mom ever. She so grounded. Her modeling pictures are truly stunning.

by Anonymousreply 75November 8, 2019 1:36 AM

Ric Ocasek was a bald wig wearer even back when the cars came ou in '79 or '80!

by Anonymousreply 76November 8, 2019 1:37 AM

Did the disinherited (or so it seems) offspring ever speak out about Rik, a la Rosie O'Donnell's wayward daughter?

by Anonymousreply 77November 8, 2019 1:38 AM

Rosie is not dead.

by Anonymousreply 78November 8, 2019 1:39 AM

Rosie's daughter went to the tabs. Rosie did not have to be dead for that to occur.

by Anonymousreply 79November 8, 2019 1:40 AM

She really was stunningly beautiful and is still very attractive for her age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 8, 2019 1:41 AM

Of course that was younger LOL ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 81November 8, 2019 1:41 AM

Doesn't one need to wait for an actual death, to qualify as "disinherited".

by Anonymousreply 82November 8, 2019 1:42 AM

R21 I love you for knowing that! Ric is lucky he had that fine Paulina for so long. He was not exactly an oil painting but she was!

by Anonymousreply 83November 8, 2019 1:42 AM

Was he as big as Freddie Mercury? He was before my time.

by Anonymousreply 84November 8, 2019 1:47 AM

The Cars had only two hits in the UK. I guess you could say they didn't travel.

by Anonymousreply 85November 8, 2019 1:50 AM

That photo of her in R80 is to die for.

by Anonymousreply 86November 8, 2019 1:53 AM

It was petty of him to treat Paulina this way, but I guess he really didn’t want to divorce and was obviously bitter about it.

Since they announced their separation she became a lot more active on Instagram, signed with mega agency IMG and started modeling again with jobs like this year’s Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, some Bloomingdales commercials, and editorial for a few Vogue titles in Europe, although not American Vogue.

She probably won’t contest the will as she most likely has her own money from modeling in the 80s and 90s and part of Ric’s money is going to her kids anyway.

by Anonymousreply 87November 8, 2019 1:54 AM

[quote]Was he as big as Freddie Mercury? He was before my time.

He wasn't really a front man. He was a guitarist more than a lead singer and kept out of the spotlight. The Cars as a group were up there with Queen, but with a fresh take.

by Anonymousreply 88November 8, 2019 1:55 AM

R85 Oh honey,nobody is trying to leave the US and become big in England ! Who CARES what you Brits think ?

by Anonymousreply 89November 8, 2019 1:55 AM

If I were Paulina, I wouldn't want my sons to have access to a shitload of money in their early 20s. Will the trusts have age restrictions?

by Anonymousreply 90November 8, 2019 1:56 AM

You have to understand the times R85. So many new bands were popping up and the whole scene exploded. The Cars made it possible for a lot of British bands to do well here like the Clash and Psychedelic Furs.

by Anonymousreply 91November 8, 2019 1:59 AM

20s is when rich kids get their money, honey. 18 is legal. 25 is common because its after college. 30 is possible. 18 to 25 - "expenses"

by Anonymousreply 92November 8, 2019 2:00 AM

He can't really disinherit her. Since the divorce wasn't finalized, she's entitled to assets and will get them.

No doubt Ric new this as well, so it says a lot about him that he stuck that bit in the will anyway, knowing it was meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 93November 8, 2019 2:00 AM

Turns out she wasn't just what he needed.

by Anonymousreply 94November 8, 2019 2:01 AM

I know R93. It's weird. She deserves every penny she can get.

by Anonymousreply 95November 8, 2019 2:02 AM

So he put it in for the bad publicity it might give her?

by Anonymousreply 96November 8, 2019 2:03 AM

She must have quite a bundle herself. She was on cover after cover in the 80s and if she invested even some of it, she's probably sitting real pretty 40 years later.

by Anonymousreply 97November 8, 2019 2:18 AM

Ric's love letter to Paulina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 8, 2019 2:23 AM

Yes, probably, R96... which shows, no matter how bad she was or wasn't, we know he was petty, and that behavior itself is probably insight into how difficult he was for everyone in his family to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 99November 8, 2019 2:27 AM

Were The Talking Heads bigger than The Cars?

by Anonymousreply 100November 8, 2019 2:31 AM

No way he's that poor. Looking at The Cars’ albums catalog, the group notched 10 albums on the Billboard 200 during Ocasek's lifetime, including five top 10 efforts.

by Anonymousreply 101November 8, 2019 2:38 AM

[quote]Were The Talking Heads bigger than The Cars?

The Cars were "commercially" more successful earlier than the Talking Heads.

by Anonymousreply 102November 8, 2019 2:39 AM

I'm always confused when people say, "no way someone is that poor they would have made x amount of money..."

You also have to consider you don't have an insight in to how much they spent, what their expenses were, who was getting a cut of what, how much they owed in any divorces, child support, lawsuits, etc.

Just because on paper someone should have a lot doesn't mean they didn't piss it all away.

by Anonymousreply 103November 8, 2019 2:47 AM

Doubt Ric and Paulina pissed it all away. They seemed to live rather frugally for a rock star and top model, with a townhouse and a $600K country home in upstate NY. No flashy Hamptons hideaways for them.

by Anonymousreply 104November 8, 2019 2:54 AM

"How much is Ric Ocasek Worth? Ric Ocasek was an American music producer and musician who had a net worth of $80 million at the time of his death in 2019."

by Anonymousreply 105November 8, 2019 2:57 AM

Most rock stars are spoiled assholes...Rich was the same as the rest. It is hard to like any of them.

by Anonymousreply 106November 8, 2019 2:58 AM

"In 1988 Paulina signed a contract with Estée Lauder that paid her $6 million per year through 1995. In total $42 million before taxes, which is the same as around $80 million after adjusting for inflation to today's dollars."

by Anonymousreply 107November 8, 2019 2:59 AM

Ric's cutest son Eron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 8, 2019 3:07 AM

Didn't say they pissed it away but again nobody is privy to what their spending habits actually were or where their money was going. They may have had 50 million squirreled away... They may have had 5 million. Either is possible.

by Anonymousreply 109November 8, 2019 3:19 AM

[R45], I love the band, esp. Deborah. Saw them at the Kabuki theater in SF in Oct 1982. Drunk as a monk in a funky bunk I called their bass player at home the night VH1 broadcasted them on Bands Reunited. Despite this hagiography, I can't stop laughing at your post. Fuck, I'm going to hell...

by Anonymousreply 110November 8, 2019 3:21 AM

Pauline came into his room to wake him up and found him dead. That’s not deserting someone, that’s literally til death do us part. Whether they were married or not.

I bet she got some trust accounts some years ago. That might mean she inherits nothing, but got her money years ago.

As far as saying he was abandoned, that sounds like a bipolar person going through a bad spot and writing his will at the absolute bottom. Then he never changed it.

by Anonymousreply 111November 8, 2019 3:24 AM

Kind of a shitty thing to say about your kid’s mother. He seems incredibly selfish.

by Anonymousreply 112November 8, 2019 3:57 AM

I always wondered about the "I, Joe Blow, being of sound mind and body...." bit. Do you have to get a doctor's release? Not asking to be an asshole (for once--mark this day), genuinely curious how that is vetted. Maybe it isn't, or just a relic of an age gone by. Perhaps you can be out of your fucking gourd and no-one cares as long as they are getting paid to draw up the will.

*Sliding an eye at my husband, as I type* I mean, Mr. YSMGH seems sound--right now--god knows our bodies aren't at this point, but I digress. That said, what if he amended his will during some awful fight and doesn't even remember or has forgotten to update it? Perhaps that was the case with Ric?

by Anonymousreply 113November 8, 2019 4:09 AM

[quote]I love what she wrote on her IG account. It seems honest, and true. How often have some of us been with people whose mood dictated what you did that day.

I agree, I used to live with an alcoholic

by Anonymousreply 114November 8, 2019 4:10 AM

They were getting a divorce but they still lived together? Why? Was she taking care of him?

Doesn't sound like she, "abandoned," him.

Sounds like he was pissed she wanted a divorce.

by Anonymousreply 115November 8, 2019 4:10 AM

Gee Ric, why the long face?

His son has it too.

by Anonymousreply 116November 8, 2019 4:12 AM

R113, wills usually are signed in front of witnesses who execute short statements saying, yes, he seemed sane at the time he signed.

by Anonymousreply 117November 8, 2019 4:20 AM

Her Instagram is way more happy and energetic since they split - as another poster noted. She was travelling a lot and I bet he hated that she was loving life without him.

by Anonymousreply 118November 8, 2019 4:23 AM

"Let the Good Times Roll" is probably my favorite Cars' song. From the self-titled first album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 8, 2019 4:27 AM

Since it's a public document, I assume it will surface soon, especially given this development. I'm very curious to know the date that he signed it.

by Anonymousreply 120November 8, 2019 4:28 AM

What's the name of the model on that album cover? I'm curious if she has as big a mouth in most pics.

by Anonymousreply 121November 8, 2019 4:29 AM

R120 someone above said it was listed as being dated August 28.

by Anonymousreply 122November 8, 2019 4:34 AM

Paulina said she and her sons were staying with Ric and taking care of him, since he’s been ill. So that was why they were there. I’m sure she would have preferred to discover him herself to having her sons do it.

by Anonymousreply 123November 8, 2019 4:40 AM

So she came back to take care of him... and he says she abandoned him. Sounds more and more like he was selfish and spiteful.

by Anonymousreply 124November 8, 2019 4:44 AM

It also seems like she didn’t know this was his feeling. After his death, she was very gracious and kind in her remarks.

This just shows you, if you’re thinking of leaving a petty message behind, don’t. See how it looks to people.

by Anonymousreply 125November 8, 2019 4:49 AM

R85 As someone who lived in the US and England during the very late 70s and early 80s, my opinion is you didn't miss out. The music scene in England then was much, much better.

by Anonymousreply 126November 8, 2019 4:49 AM

I don't know if Talking Heads were more successful but they definitely were more influential.

by Anonymousreply 127November 8, 2019 5:07 AM

With all due respect we only know the one side of things; what came out in will when filed with probate court. May very well be that Paulina Prozikova was provided for outside of RC's last will and testament.

In NYS married couples own property as "joint tenants", so unless that house in Gramercy Park was purchased via a LLC, corporation of whatever Mr. and Mrs. Ric Ocasek have joint ownership. As their divorce wasn't not yet settled at time of death Paulia Porzikova still was legally Mrs. Ocasek (and again) unless something was negotiated she owns that house totally due to demise of husband.

by Anonymousreply 128November 8, 2019 6:16 AM

R128 The point isn't the money she got. She was a supermodel, she might have more money than him.

It was his very pointedly stating she abandoned him. It's was douchey asshole move.

by Anonymousreply 129November 8, 2019 6:36 AM

Paulina is not AMERICAN. If she divorced Ric, she could find a quaz- legal way to avoid paying US/IRS taxes and avoid US probate. This is what this is. This is not cool at all.

by Anonymousreply 130November 8, 2019 6:49 AM

Sorry, wrong again. It's that Ric Ocasek was a spiteful bastard. That was about public humiliation of the wife that finally wise up and left his controlling ass.

by Anonymousreply 131November 8, 2019 6:56 AM

Great song !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132November 8, 2019 7:03 AM

I've never heard of The Cars. I vaguely know of Paulina but she's only pretty in pictures. She's black sea nasty in real life.

by Anonymousreply 133November 8, 2019 7:07 AM

What? r133, I've never heard a single negative word about Paulina until I read what her husband put in his will. And even then he doesn't say she was a bitch, just that "she abandoned" him. He clearly wanted her back desperately, even though she'pushing 60.

You make it sound as if she's giving Naomi Campbell a run in the super-cunt stakes. I think the opposite not only seems true, but seems obvious.

by Anonymousreply 134November 8, 2019 7:24 AM

Most people's major assets transfer outside of a will. Think of 401ks and IRAs and life insurance and of course trusts...accounts with a named beneficiary have nothing to do with probate. These wills of famous people are always way less than the person's true worth because they only address probate assets.

by Anonymousreply 135November 8, 2019 9:13 AM

R67 oh my sides! I laughed for about ten minutes at your post. I cannot stop. Oh! Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 136November 8, 2019 9:40 AM

Though separated for three years Ric and Paulina still lived together and were still when he died. Couple was married for almost thirty years, so if any of you think Paulina Porzikova is getting nothing out of the marital estate, think again.

This is New York State, a place where even long before LGBT equality a man who married a trannie (unbeknownst) to him apparently) was forced to cough up a major settlement to get rid of her after barely several months.

I don't care what y'all say; wives in NYS usually get half or more of the marital estate. The Ocaseks were married when they purchased that house in Gramercy Park so by NYS law it is owned as joint property/part of marital estate. That is unless it was purchased via a corporation or trust, which I highly doubt.

Just because Ric Ocasek cut off his wife via will, does not mean it is a 100% slam dunk. Their divorce was not final, and Paulina Porzikova could make a huge stink (if so desired) if she felt was being diddled out of fair share of marital assets.

Courts are well aware that deceased used final will and testament to lash out at the living. As such provisions in wills are cancelled or set aside, if not the whole thing smashed.

Jackie Kennedy was supposed to get very little from Onassis's estate, and look how that turned out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 8, 2019 10:23 AM

R137 You are far from the first person in this thread to point that out, so lose the "people, people, people" tone.

What most of us are commenting on isn't the idea that Paulina will soon be left destitute, but the extreme cuntiness of Ric.

by Anonymousreply 138November 8, 2019 10:29 AM

R138

We none of us know what went on in that marriage those last months of Ric Ocasek's life. But fact that his estranged wife was still living in their home, and taking care of RC gives lie to the "abandonment" nonsense. As others have said it points to a bitter old man lashing out at his wife for reasons only known to himself.

Agree with others who say maybe RC was ticked off his wife wouldn't call off the divorce. Taking care of his aged bag of bones perhaps wasn't enough, RC wanted her back body and soul.

Lashing out from beyond the grave usually never has the effect upon living deceased intended, it just shows how someone was so petty they continue grinding that ax even when cold in their grave.

by Anonymousreply 139November 8, 2019 10:50 AM

Paulina confessed in her IG post that he was known as "The Master of Doom" which gives a hint of what she lived with for 28 years.

Nevertheless, Ocasek stayed. He was also married to his second wife for 17 years.

by Anonymousreply 140November 8, 2019 10:54 AM

I respect a person who can hold a grudge, well played Mr. Ocasek!

by Anonymousreply 141November 8, 2019 10:54 AM

She was NOT living in the house. Ocasek had some surgery two weeks before he died, and the family was him during his...recovery.

by Anonymousreply 142November 8, 2019 11:44 AM

She didn’t have to be.

by Anonymousreply 143November 8, 2019 12:34 PM

The man he left her for. Screenwriter ("Men in Black") Ed Solomon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 8, 2019 12:47 PM

I think he was incredibly pissed about her new lover

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 8, 2019 12:58 PM

Too bad for him. Before he died he got to be the one left rather than the one leaving...for once.

by Anonymousreply 146November 8, 2019 1:21 PM

Fabulous looking couple at R144. And to be away from someone who was a constant source of negativity would be priceless, IMO. Good for her!

Seems like Ocasek was as ugly on the inside as he was on the outside.

by Anonymousreply 147November 8, 2019 2:04 PM

That he would write such a thing when it's clear that it's not legally binding says volumes about why she left him, finally. I think she probably put up with a lot worse over the course of the marriage. Writing that into a document was too easy and too casually cruel for me to think he was a nice person.

He was pissed she finally walked after all those years. Tough, and too late to grow up now.

by Anonymousreply 148November 8, 2019 2:15 PM

r124, he probably didn't write that the day he died. Probably when the divorce started and it slipped his mind or he wasn't thinking about having to change it.

Surely they will tell us when it was dated.

by Anonymousreply 149November 8, 2019 2:26 PM

What a prick. I've read interviews with her and she always seemed so self possessed and intelligent. When you have beauty and brains as a woman, everyone hates you. Not just other women, but straight men resent you too.

by Anonymousreply 150November 8, 2019 2:28 PM

You bitches are dum. You can't legally cut your married spouse from your will. There are laws that supercede even one's will.

by Anonymousreply 151November 8, 2019 2:28 PM

r130, she holds dual citizenship with the US and Sweden. You don't think she would have become a citizens after all those years?

by Anonymousreply 152November 8, 2019 2:30 PM

R152 no one dumber than the person repeating something pretty much everyone has said for 130 posts.

by Anonymousreply 153November 8, 2019 3:02 PM

If you have money, your goal should be to die broke. Set it up in legal trusts for your heirs.

by Anonymousreply 154November 8, 2019 3:05 PM

R45 LMFAOOOOOO oh my god I laughed so hard at your post. (I know it was wrong but I just couldn't help it.) I remember the video for that godawful song with that godawful singer came out when I was in 9th grade, and my friends and I all made fun of it/her. Picturing the donut incident took me back to those days. Sorry to say for poor Debora Lyall, she was fat and ugly then and is fat and ugly now.

by Anonymousreply 155November 8, 2019 3:08 PM

[Quote] If you have money, your goal should be to die broke. Set it up in legal trusts for your heirs.

Is this just an American thing or can this be done in all/most countries?

by Anonymousreply 156November 8, 2019 8:23 PM

Deborah and Ric hanging out back in the day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157November 8, 2019 8:46 PM

Sorry, I meant "Debora" at r156.

r155 I think she isn't bad for a big woman in her late 60s She looks happy.

So has Paulina said anything about this yet? She'll probably keep quiet about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 8, 2019 8:55 PM

I'm getting my Rs mangled. Apologies. Back to Ric being a cunt...

by Anonymousreply 159November 8, 2019 8:57 PM

I'm pretty sure he knew this would be made public. It makes him look bad - not her.

by Anonymousreply 160November 8, 2019 8:59 PM

R156, many countries do not legally recognize trusts. They are the creation of English common law.

by Anonymousreply 161November 8, 2019 8:59 PM

R149 No this particular will is from just about 2 weeks before he died. I think it was August 28th, it's earlier in the thread.

by Anonymousreply 162November 9, 2019 12:54 AM

Heads up, Melania.

by Anonymousreply 163November 9, 2019 12:58 AM

Paulina was the first supermodel and was everywhere - until she married him. The way she’s become more public and active in the years since “abandoning” him leads me to believe he was probably very controlling of her.

Some men become very bitter when people stop taking their shit. I divorced my ex when I found out about six-figures worth of financial infidelity, and my finding out was precipitated by his business partner kicking him out....the second time he caught him stealing from the business. There was all kinds of chicanery that came to light resulting in lawsuits, judgments, an IRS audit, etc... Yet to this day he acts like his former biz partner and I are the ones who did something horrible to him.

So, it unfortunately doesn’t surprise me to see someone who appears to have all the hallmarks of an asshole lash out at people for simply deciding to no longer tolerate it. Paulina is a saint for taking care of him after his surgery. After what mine has put me through, I wouldn’t piss on him if he were on fire.

by Anonymousreply 164November 9, 2019 1:20 AM

Paulina belongs in the thread about beautiful woman marrying ugly men. Dear lord, I just saw a photo of her sons, homely doesn't begin to describe them.

by Anonymousreply 165November 9, 2019 1:29 AM

Homely and rich. Rich beyond your wildest dream?!?!

by Anonymousreply 166November 9, 2019 2:04 AM

Gloomy, self absorbed, bitter AND BUTT ASS UGLY! How could she force herself to have sex with that scarecrow!? I loved their music, still do but that is not enough reason to support the suffering view of his naked body emerging from the shower every morning. He's one of ( and Im not exaggerating) the most unattractive men, I have ever seen. YES, HE WAS TALENTED! got it! But his physical appeal bordered on the extra terrestrial. My favorite song was, Summer. Video was amazing. Captured the upbeat nuance of the song and included some playful social commentary. The first song of theirs I remember was, I like the night life , baby. Panama City spring break. I was very very young.

by Anonymousreply 167November 9, 2019 2:22 AM

Wasn't Ed Solomon married to one of John Cleese's daughters?

by Anonymousreply 168November 9, 2019 2:36 AM

R113

Some persons actually went so far as to be examined by one or more physicians at time of making will to certify they were of "sound mind". Those statements presumably would be introduced at probate (and people made aware of their existence) to put anyone off challenging.

Trusts and so forth are excellent tools for estate planning, but there are certain things that can only be done via last will and testament. Custody of minor children, with instructions for their upbringing is one I believe.

You recall in DL fave "Auntie Mame", her bother leaves custody of Patrick Denis to his sister; but the money was tied up in trusts. The will also gave specific instructions as to Patrick's education, which Mame of course promptly violates. That action prompts Mr. Babcock to remove Patrick to boarding school, and threaten to keep her away from him during school breaks.

by Anonymousreply 169November 9, 2019 3:11 AM

He was controlling? Pfft, she loved it, had her own money, and yet made a choice to stay there. The new boyfriend is a schlub, uglier than Ocasek if that's possible, dressed in the last pairs of Dockers ever made.

by Anonymousreply 170November 9, 2019 4:30 AM

Having money doesn't also mean one doesn't have the same emotional weaknesses anyone might have. She was 18 years old, literally her whole adult life was shaped by his whims.

by Anonymousreply 171November 9, 2019 5:19 AM

She had a crazy childhood. You may have to use Google Translate to read this

She was the subject of an international custody battle

Pavlína Pořízková became known and famous as a child, though not as she wished. When her parents emigrated to Sweden after the Soviet occupation in 1968 and several times unsuccessfully applied for the extradition of their daughter, who remained with her grandparents, a diplomatic war between the then Czechoslovakia and Sweden was lit. Little Pauline was written in the papers and a huge campaign broke out in the Nordic country demanding the return of her daughter to her parents. Two Swedish pilots even planned to secretly kidnap a girl from Czechoslovakia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172November 9, 2019 5:27 AM

At the height of their fame in the mid/late 80s I waited on them a couple times. Once they were on a double date with Belinda Carlisle and Barry Levinson! I am happy to report all were very nice. I remember being impressed how down to earth they were.

by Anonymousreply 173November 9, 2019 5:37 AM

He looked ridiculous, a little old man with a black mullet wig and he sounds unpleasant. He's lucky she stuck around as long as she did.

by Anonymousreply 174November 9, 2019 6:44 AM

She is still beautiful and she dates Ed Solomon? Paulina live it up a little

by Anonymousreply 175November 9, 2019 6:56 AM

It's true that Ocasek did not rely on his looks for his money and fame; he was a successful creative artist all his life. If his model wifey was unhappy she could have moved on at any time; she should direct her complaints to her mirror.

by Anonymousreply 176November 9, 2019 11:28 AM

She hasn't been the complainer. Old, dead Ric OTOH...

by Anonymousreply 177November 9, 2019 11:31 AM

Eh, for the bulk of his 75 years Ocasek did pretty much what he wanted to do with the typical creative frustrations. Having a serious illness is not easy to handle for anyone, and still, is the perfect time for a wifey to *live laugh and love darling.* Bless.

by Anonymousreply 178November 9, 2019 12:25 PM

Ric Ocasek spent most of his life collecting and discarding people as they suited his ego, needs, ambitions and interests. (I should know.)

by Anonymousreply 179November 9, 2019 1:03 PM

I always thought it odd that PP gave off the vibe that modeling was beneath her but never really did much of anything once she was done. She could have studied, gotten a degree, started a charity, nada.

by Anonymousreply 180November 9, 2019 3:04 PM

Paulina address the will on her IG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 9, 2019 3:09 PM

Hypothetically, if you're in the middle of a divorce, but the spouse dies and the will specifies that the surviving spouse gets nothing:

- but would have likely gotten something in a divorce, is the surviving spouse screwed?

- if they had a minor child and the deceased spouse specifies that that child gets nothing, is that child screwed out of even child support from the estate?

- If it were suicide, would that make a difference?

Or would there have to be a lengthy court battle to challenge the will and estate.

by Anonymousreply 182November 9, 2019 3:12 PM

Ben Orr, get over it already, a band is not a marriage with vows til death do us part.

by Anonymousreply 183November 9, 2019 4:33 PM

Her IG response is typically classy.

by Anonymousreply 184November 9, 2019 4:41 PM

Isn't the most likely explanation that he was ill and uncomfortable and lashed out?

She was on Letterman once and Dave was giving her a hard time about making a stupid list - the ten most intelligent celebrities, or something similar. He played it well, asking her to elaborate on her qualifications. It wasn't overtly mean-spirited, but he successfully pointed out (without actually pointing it out) how ludicrous the list was. Her response was, "What number were you?" It didn't seem scripted and it was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 185November 9, 2019 5:10 PM

Classy except for the homewrecking. And unnecessarily "responding" to something that didn't require a response with an eye on the modeling money

by Anonymousreply 186November 9, 2019 6:34 PM

Twiggy was the much klassier and personable judge. But Tyra fired her too.

by Anonymousreply 187November 9, 2019 6:45 PM

What's wrong with R167? Broken sentences and misremembered song titles galore. Maybe it should come back after the drugs wear off.

by Anonymousreply 188November 9, 2019 6:55 PM

R182, you cannot disinherit either your spouse or your minor child, certainly not in the United States. A court will enter child support order against your estate to provide for the child. Your spouse is entitled to a percentage of your estate no matter what your will says.

by Anonymousreply 189November 9, 2019 7:23 PM

Paulina is a passive aggressive type. And she's not still beautiful. Like everyone else - there are lots of pics of her around without her makeup and facetape. She looks old. But yeah, she'll come up with the money and she deserves it as his wife of almost 30 years. But why make her out to be a martyr? She's a famously difficult and cold woman herself. Her statements after his death pose as much threat as benevolence. She's a cold bitch. Very beautiful photographic model in the late 80s and early 90s I've discovered. That's long before my time. But I've looked. She was never pretty in motion. Odd.

Long after - I know her as the socially awkward ordinary looking woman on the fabulous America's Next Top Model!! And she can't even describe her firing without so much dumb word play? Bitch was fired. If you watched the show you know why. She was lacking warmth, humor or basic social skills on the panel and was a bit she wolf of the SS when she was left alone with the girls. Scary cold with a laugh. I don't feel for her. She made her deal a long time ago. Who knows why? Nobody marries that Ric Ocasek face at 19 years old without being the coldest heart kind of gold digger. They must be the least glamorous rock star/model couple of all time? Get it Paulina. Eastern Euro girls never let feelings get in the way of life and death. I suspect that her damage matched up well with his. Until recently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190November 10, 2019 3:57 AM

R145's tweet was deleted, what did it say?

by Anonymousreply 191November 10, 2019 4:11 AM

Ric was bald as a cueball without that wig. He had hair at the beginning of The Cars.

by Anonymousreply 192November 10, 2019 4:19 AM

Porzikova has a bad smile, and surgery is making her eyes migrate even closer to her ears.

I have no way to know, but sense the financial details were worked out when she abandoned her ill husband last year. She has her own money anyway.

by Anonymousreply 193November 10, 2019 12:06 PM

She very obviously did not abandon him.

by Anonymousreply 194November 10, 2019 2:55 PM

What a petty,spiteful troll he turned out to be. All for naught,she will get a huge chunk regardless.

by Anonymousreply 195November 10, 2019 2:59 PM

R189 I know it's a joke but it's not a joke. If you look under the surface that is exactly what he did.

by Anonymousreply 196November 10, 2019 5:39 PM

That was supposed to be addressed towards R179

by Anonymousreply 197November 10, 2019 5:44 PM

That thread has turned MEEEEOOOOOWWWWW! What is going on?

Has Paulina suggested to use a strainer for pasta???

by Anonymousreply 198November 10, 2019 5:59 PM

No, it hasn't. 99% of us are on Paulina's side.

by Anonymousreply 199November 10, 2019 6:20 PM

Paulina Porniskova is a nobody.

by Anonymousreply 200November 10, 2019 6:37 PM

Love how his nasty comment hit him in his dead face and showed him to be a petty a$$, when she was the one who found his dead body. He only succeeded in making it very obvious why she left him after so many years.

by Anonymousreply 201November 10, 2019 6:46 PM

Maybe she smothered him? So she could have all his money and be free with her new lover!!

by Anonymousreply 202November 10, 2019 6:48 PM

Maybe, R202. As the divorce has dragged on for three years, maybe between she decided to move things along? If so, I hope she posts it on the “Shitty Things You’ve Done” thread.

by Anonymousreply 203November 10, 2019 6:52 PM

R193 They announced their divorce last year, they had been separated for over a year already.

by Anonymousreply 204November 10, 2019 7:32 PM

Thought Rick was sad to have been estranged from Orr at the time of his death, yet he only includes 4 of his 6 sons in his will and takes a nasty swipe at his wife of 30 years, mother of the 2 young adult sons in a public document. Sounds like he was always a petty asshole and Paulina covered up a lot for him. She is said to be on friendly/close terms with his prior 4 kids, and had them all come and say goodbye when he died.

Felt like she was selling a PR narrative hard, maybe for the sake of her boys or to get ahead of this. Laid it on thick about weeks of family time for the 4 of them as he recovered. But, he was seething.

Nasty man. Hopefully his sons who were left out of the will were provided for in some other manner.

by Anonymousreply 205November 12, 2019 2:43 AM

R206 You'd be seeing too if your wife left you.

by Anonymousreply 206November 12, 2019 2:45 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207November 12, 2019 2:49 AM

Did Pauline kill him?

by Anonymousreply 208November 12, 2019 2:51 AM

Re the article at R207, I could see bringing someone who was ill cookies, people do it all the time.

He does seem quite pissy that she moved on. Hope she finds happiness.

by Anonymousreply 209November 12, 2019 3:35 AM

Elegant response

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210November 12, 2019 3:47 AM

Yeah, posting about your dead husband's will on Instagram is "elegant."

by Anonymousreply 211November 12, 2019 3:58 AM

I hope she gets it all.

by Anonymousreply 212November 12, 2019 4:07 AM

I could have sworn I read somewhere many years ago that Rick was openly bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 213November 12, 2019 4:51 AM

R205 Ocasek and Orr had been estranged for about 12 years prior to Orr's death but a few months before he passed away , the whole band got together to do an interview for a DVD release of a live performance they did in 1978 for the German show Musikladen, a type of German Midnight Special(clips of the Musikladen performance are on Youtube they are great). Despite being already extremely ill with pancreatic cancer Orr wanted to do this to put the negativity behind them, let bygones be bygones and remember all the really great times. Considering he was relatively young at 53 and had a 5 year old son he was going to miss growing up, he faced his death with a great deal of strength and grace and played his last live performance just 6 days before he died.

So at least on Orr's side that had been put behind them by the time he passed. And he doesn't seem to have used his will to stick it to anyone after he died. :)

Ocasek was petty and controlling and he didn't like anyone trying to move outside the boxes he placed them in, that was true of The Cars and I believe of his relationship with Paulina as well. That's why he lashed out at Paulina, she broke free of his control.

R213 Ric once said in an interview he was attracted to odd looking men or something like that but IMO it sounded more like he was trying to sound artsy and edgy. Yet he kept getting married and popping out kids with women. His first marriage he was right out of high school, which wasn' t unusual in 1963, they had to two kids, divorced her and in short order married another women, they had two kids, started seeing Paulina while he was still married to wife#2 then they got married and had two kids. Maybe he was, who knows but there isn't much evidence beyond that interview.

by Anonymousreply 214November 12, 2019 6:08 AM

I remember an interview with Paulina in which she described seeing a very attractive man walking towards her on the street. She was surprised to discover when he got closer it was in fact her husband.

I thought it was very romantic.

by Anonymousreply 215November 12, 2019 9:00 AM

R215 She needs glasses.

by Anonymousreply 216November 12, 2019 10:08 AM

[quote]I remember an interview with Paulina in which she described seeing a very attractive man walking towards her on the street. She was surprised to discover when he got closer it was in fact her husband.

She said that with a straight face?

by Anonymousreply 217November 12, 2019 10:59 AM

Her appearance in the "Drive" video (directed by Timothy Hutton) was a revelation. It was as if the most beautiful girl in the world had just been found. And she was young, she had yet to reach the heights of her beauty.

It sounds like Ric acted in a fit of pique, not rationally. It will likely be sorted privately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218November 12, 2019 11:22 AM

She was 18 when they met and stayed with his moody ass for decades. He got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 219November 12, 2019 2:07 PM

R219 Very lucky.

by Anonymousreply 220November 12, 2019 2:19 PM

Agree, R219. You do do much growing and changing in your late teens and through your twenties. Or, you ought to at least. She had to have stayed with him for the kids sake, as fraus tend to do, until they got to a certain age.

Or, until she just couldn't deal with looking at him every day, any longer.

by Anonymousreply 221November 12, 2019 2:21 PM

*so much growing

by Anonymousreply 222November 12, 2019 2:22 PM

[quote]Ric was openly bisexual

And vice versa: all the people who slept with Ric had to be bisexual: he was so shockingly ugly that all the straight women he slept with turned gay, and all the gay men he slept with turned straight.

Conversion therapy with Ric was always a complete success. In exchange for a treatment resistant case of PTSD...

by Anonymousreply 223November 12, 2019 2:49 PM

She must have plenty of money of her own. If not, her sons wouldn't let her starve.

by Anonymousreply 224November 12, 2019 2:50 PM

My brother is going through chemo right now,and the change in his personality is unbelievable. So maybe Ric was having the same issue.

by Anonymousreply 225November 12, 2019 3:05 PM

If Paulina had a career, it would be over. She's good at nothing. She should wash other people's sheets for a living. But she's found another old man to pay her way. A 19 year old marries Rick Ocasik for one reason. $$$

by Anonymousreply 226November 12, 2019 6:44 PM

R225 The article says he only found out at the time of the surgery, which means he knew about it for two weeks and he wrote the will before that. He never had chemo.

R226 Paulina was already a supermodel in 1984, she didn't need Ric's money, she was making thousands of dollars a day. She had multi-million dollar cosmetic and clothing line contracts before she married him. I really think she was probably richer than he was, she put up the money for their house.

by Anonymousreply 227November 12, 2019 11:02 PM

Paulina is a rude homely woman. She looks very old for 55. Isabella Rossellini was a world famous cosmetic and perfume model FACE too. She was the most successful with the longest running contract in history. So very beautiful in photographs. Like Paulina P, she looked much older and less attractive in real life. Unlike Paulina, Isabella is charming and intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 228November 12, 2019 11:59 PM

Paulina had her life run by a moody, cold much older asshole from the time she was 18. It's no wonder if her social graces aren't the best. But she just seems blunt to me, a lot of Germans and Eastern Europeans come across that way to me, so I usually just put it down to a cultural thing.

Ric was older than her own mother(her mother I believe is 72 or 73 this year), I don't know about her father but it's possible he was older than her father as well. Ric was a bitter nasty man before he ever met Paulina, her not being perfect doesn't somehow free him from responsibility for his own nastiness.

by Anonymousreply 229November 13, 2019 1:57 AM

R218....oh my. Haven’t watched the “Drive” video in years, but just did and it almost seems like precognition of what most of us are picking up here.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 230November 13, 2019 2:39 AM

Funny that he meant to punish HER yet people unanimously think HE is the real asshole.

by Anonymousreply 231November 13, 2019 2:44 AM

Not unanimously. It was all her choice. Now go find another ugly noodge Zaulina fisheyes.

by Anonymousreply 232November 14, 2019 9:01 PM

I never much cared for PP, to me she always came across as an asshole. As for her much lauded "intelligence", she seems of average intelligence at best, especially considering the opportunities she has had in terms of travel, people she met, having the financial means to do pretty much anything she wants and yet, all we get from her is how hard it is to lose her beauty.

by Anonymousreply 233November 14, 2019 9:58 PM

I completely agree R233. Paulina is obnoxious. And finds herself amusing. One of those people who doesn't understand how they come across. Someone who is always vaunting their own intelligence and making petty corrections about inconsequential things. Obnoxious Personality Disorder.

by Anonymousreply 234November 14, 2019 10:02 PM

This thread got me scrolling on Paulina’s Instagram. Unsurprisingly, as with most actresses and models, it’s mostly selfies. She looks good but still it must be bittersweet for older women who were once knockouts that selfies weren’t a thing when they were young and flawless. A lot of them are into throwback pix - “Hey kids, look what a smokeshow I used to be!”

by Anonymousreply 235November 14, 2019 10:32 PM

The Drive video and song are so haunting.

by Anonymousreply 236November 15, 2019 12:10 AM

Paulina is worth $80 million.

She’ll be just fine.

by Anonymousreply 237November 15, 2019 12:21 AM

It's 80 now? Doubled since the last assertion. Whatever, she's one of those chatterers who think people are waiting for her response. SHUT UP PAULONA.

by Anonymousreply 238November 16, 2019 8:53 AM

She was the most beautiful of all the super models who married one of the homeliest rock stars ever. She pretty much gave up her modeling career after she married him. Except for a brief and strange foray into acting that sadly failed. Never a hint of drama in the marriage. Sounds like she stuck around longer than he had a right to expect. Loved The Cars so I’m sad he died feeling abandoned and estranged from his family.

by Anonymousreply 239November 16, 2019 9:14 AM

I remember on talk shows she seemed like a fake.. egomaniacal creep. hosts appeared to glaze over when she started her icky rant.

by Anonymousreply 240November 16, 2019 10:16 AM

What is 80 now?

by Anonymousreply 241November 16, 2019 12:09 PM

I heard that Paulina was at one point in time very friendly with George Clooney. She is also apparently suspected of having a sick sense of humor, for example it is rumored she has a reputation for going around Las Vegas and intentionally flooding toilets with her feces so that she can ruin people's expensive satin shoes. Being the sick person she is she stands nearby and watches as the poor victim tries to seek compensation and laughs maniacally when they are denied.

by Anonymousreply 242November 16, 2019 2:03 PM

Like the demonizing of Paulina because Ric finally let his real, selfish self out of the bag in a way that couldn't be hidden thus naturally she needs to be trashed. She stuck with him for almost 30 years, despite his moods, his aloofness and his general negative outlook. Again she certainly didn't do it for the money, so if she left after all that time it's because Ric's attitude finally just became untenable to her.

With regards to Paulina, I think she is intelligent, etc, etc but because of how society long treated women, esp models, it's her lost beauty that is given #1 interest, she talks about it because she feels it from other people and it's what she gets asked about. Other older women also identify with it, the ones who would mostly be her audience these day.

by Anonymousreply 243November 16, 2019 4:43 PM

This is why young people being worshipped for looks alone can be damaging later, unless they’re strong, cultivate other qualities and interests, and supportive people around them. Paulina seems ok, if still a little too concerned with the subject of beauty.

by Anonymousreply 244November 16, 2019 6:44 PM

Anyone within earshot of Rock Radio of either classic or alternative classic has heard at least a handful of Cars songs, and the fucking In-Store Audio Network has Let's Go, Shake It Up, and almost all of Heartbeat City on recurrent status, so I can only assume that it was either a fat opera queen in a caftan or a troll who originally claimed to not know his work.

by Anonymousreply 245November 16, 2019 7:15 PM

Anyone within earshot of Rock Radio of either classic or alternative classic has heard at least a handful of Cars songs, and the fucking In-Store Audio Network has Let's Go, Shake It Up, and almost all of Heartbeat City on recurrent status, so I can only assume that it was either a fat opera queen in a caftan or a troll who originally claimed to not know his work.

by Anonymousreply 246November 16, 2019 7:15 PM

R179, that's exactly where my mind went when I heard about his will. Ric had loads of talent, but doesn't seem to have been a great person.

by Anonymousreply 247November 17, 2019 5:49 AM

Well, when the best description you can come up with for his behavior is "gloomy," why'd she wait so long. As far as her aging, she looks age appropriate and still very attractive. She's timeless at any age. Her inner beauty shines through. Ocatsick was a very lucky gnome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248November 17, 2019 8:56 AM

My guess is she was waiting for her children to grow up and tried to make the best of things in the meantime.

I suspect Paulina had some depressive, overbearing man in her family, perhaps her father or grandfather. It can set you up for repeating the pattern. Kind of a, if only you knew, like I know, how HARD it is for him to give so little kind of deal. She talks about him being gloomy and closed off and then being like the sun shining on her. It is romanticizing how he controlled this family and likely the other 2 families as well.

Cutting 2 of the 6 sons out of the will is also shitty. If he was worried about the one who is an addict, cannot remember which family that was, he could have set up a trust.

Rick did not castrate himself, but his narcissism and pattern of discarding families like a pair of old shoes reminds me of Bruce Jenner.

by Anonymousreply 249November 17, 2019 1:28 PM

Bruce Jenner didn't castrate himself either.

by Anonymousreply 250November 17, 2019 10:08 PM

R173, Belinda Carlisle and Barry Levinson?????

by Anonymousreply 251November 17, 2019 10:37 PM

I sensed better vibes from him than her, and more wit/intelligence.

any tangible evidence or facts of his melancholia?

by Anonymousreply 252November 19, 2019 5:52 AM

Um, his wigs?

by Anonymousreply 253November 19, 2019 6:17 AM

R253 He once had a picture on his website of a bald man with sunglasses at a desk. It was clearly him.

by Anonymousreply 254November 19, 2019 6:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255November 19, 2019 7:04 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256November 19, 2019 7:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257November 19, 2019 7:13 AM

Oh dear - sorry

by Anonymousreply 258November 19, 2019 7:15 AM

I just remember her being on talk shows and seeming like a lunatic bitch. ,,, self involved and icky

by Anonymousreply 259November 19, 2019 8:04 AM

Considering she was barely into her early 20’s when she made all those flip comments about modeling and seemed disparaging of it, she can be forgiven. Most 20 year olds aren’t all that mature or reflective and especially if you are the center of that much attention.

Here’s an interview from 2008 and she seems pretty mellow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260November 19, 2019 8:22 PM

Paulina wants her coins!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261December 18, 2019 10:27 PM

And she shall have them.

by Anonymousreply 262December 18, 2019 11:27 PM

R262

She certainly will, and how!

Late Mr. Ric Ocasek's striking out from beyond the grave is one thing; but he's dead and more importantly Mrs. Ocasek is not.

It will be for courts to determine extent or even if there was any abandonment. I'd keep a supply of Jiffy Pop or other nibbles on hand , this is going to drag out for months and in process provide endless amounts of tittle-tattle. That is unless executors of Ric Ocasek's estate simply decide to quietly settle with PP and sons.

by Anonymousreply 263December 19, 2019 12:05 AM

Walked past Ocasek's Gramercy Park townhouse the other night. Area is so beautiful this time of year with all the homes and apartment buildings decorated for holidays. In fact entire Irving Place/Gramercy Park area is really wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 264December 19, 2019 12:07 AM

For those not from NYC or otherwise unfamiliar with Irving Place.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265December 19, 2019 12:19 AM

Any lawyers in NY want to weigh in on whether a quiet settlement would even be possible for the executor?

I wondered at the over the top PR style campaign that is seemed she was mounting since his death. Surely it is about the $, no one could love such a nasty man, determined to humiliate you, even from beyond the grave? And it was not just her, but 2 of his 6 sons, as well. Horrid man. Reminds me of Jenner, walking out on family upon family.

Bet her sons will turn out to be manipulative, cold and emotionally abusive to women and children. Sadly it is the template they know.

by Anonymousreply 266December 19, 2019 1:09 AM

I would also be interested to hear from NY family or estate attorney. Granted, outside of settlement, a judge will decide....can be appealed (though uphill to do so successfully).

Where I’m at: you are married until you are divorced. Evidence of fraud might sway some things, but otherwise no one cares about hurt feelings, who is more “at fault” (unless you aren’t going the no-fault route, and you’d better have a compelling case....but can backfire with children involved).

by Anonymousreply 267December 19, 2019 4:28 AM

I find it odd that she is suing. Makes me think that perhaps she needs the money? I know she was a very well paid model but that was a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 268December 19, 2019 3:58 PM

R268, she's suing because she's entitled to the money, and because no one walks away from millions of dollars if they have a straightforward claim for it.

by Anonymousreply 269December 19, 2019 5:12 PM

Traditionally in English common law the widow is entitled to a third of the estate.

by Anonymousreply 270December 19, 2019 5:31 PM

There are legalities protecting a spouse's benefits, R268. Those don't get erased just because one spouse (Ocasek) gets mad at the other (Porizkova).

by Anonymousreply 271December 19, 2019 5:32 PM

R268

Obviously you weren't paying attention during huge debate over gay marriage, specifically those forty or whatever benefits conferred upon couples by virtue of that legal union.

No one walks away from millions that they are rightfully entitled. Less so a spouse who put up with God only knows during her marriage, who likely is *NOT* going to allow demise of husband to diddle her out of a proper settlement.

Had Ric Ocasek lived divorce court would have divided up marital estate if he and wife couldn't reach a settlement. That townhouse in Gramercy Park is worth millions alone, and Paulina Porzikova would be a fool to simply walk away without getting her rightful due.

by Anonymousreply 272December 19, 2019 9:36 PM

Look at OP's picture -- it's like a beautiful woman taking her PET OSTRICH out for a Sunday walk.

That pic speaks VOLUMES.

by Anonymousreply 273December 19, 2019 9:53 PM

For the record by NYS law homes purchased by married couples are jointly owned regardless of who put up what percent of funds. Thus Paulina Porzikova if nothing else owns half that Gramercy Park townhouse.

Demise of Mr. Ric Ocasek effectively ended divorce proceedings. Mrs. Paulina Ocasek is for all intents and purposes a surviving spouse, and thus must seek to preserve her rights via other legal proceedings.

by Anonymousreply 274December 19, 2019 11:08 PM

She's always been extremely intelligent. And funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275December 19, 2019 11:31 PM

One of her earliest covers - either age 15 or 16 (?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276December 19, 2019 11:35 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277December 19, 2019 11:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278December 19, 2019 11:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279December 20, 2019 12:16 AM

She was rumored to have been the purchaser of the house with her money, R274.

Had he lived, she would have gotten money in a divorce settlement or by order. Now she is the surviving widow.

She was said to have cultivated relationships with the 4 boys from his prior 2 families, wonder which 2 were cut out and if she will share some $. One of the 4 has had addiction issues, perhaps money was left to him in a managed trust?

He seems like a horrid man who was a nasty spouse and a poor father.

Under NY law a surviving spouse cannot be cut out except in the most rare of circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 280December 20, 2019 12:18 AM

Despite his attempt to cut her out, she likely has a right to a 1/3 share. More info at link and linked therein info re: grounds for contesting. Given that she was taking care of him and was the one who found him, I suspect she has a good chance of prevailing. Imagine that nasty peevish man having her lavish care on him, knowing he had changed his will 2 weeks prior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281December 20, 2019 12:25 AM

R277, R278, R279

Sigh. I remember when models used to be beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 282December 20, 2019 12:35 AM

R268

Had Ric Ocasek lived and proceedings continued judge would have called for all cards on table, then if the couple couldn't work out an agreement he/she would have divided marital estate equitably in eyes of court.

Normally where there are substantial assets a judge may say wife can have the house, but husband gets other things to balance.

In case of Ric Ocasek like Aretha Franklin, Prince, Micheal Jackson, etc... there is also matter of future income from royalties, copyright etc... from music and other artistic endeavors. States each have their own way of determining what is or isn't part of marital estate. In NYS for instance a college/post graduate degree can be considered part of marital estate. It is how wives who "put their husbands through medical or law school" get to claw some of their efforts back decades later if divorced.

In terms of real estate probably one of the worst things besides family squabbles forcing estate sales, is one pushed by divorce. Either way you can have sales done more to get something over with, rather than wait for best price.

Currently there are a few other townhouses languishing on market in Gramercy Park/Irving Place; some listed for less than Ocasek residence.

by Anonymousreply 283December 20, 2019 12:46 AM

"Imagine that nasty peevish man having her lavish care on him, knowing he had changed his will 2 weeks prior."

I imagine he was relishing it. The thought of her serving him while he knew he'd be stabbing her in the back. Vindictive spider.

by Anonymousreply 284December 20, 2019 5:21 AM

[quote]r284 Vindictive spider.

THAT BOY SHOULD BE EXPELLED!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285December 20, 2019 11:34 PM

Publically humiliating her too, and also a final swipe at 2 of his 6 sons. What an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 286December 21, 2019 2:06 AM

Publically humiliating her too, and also a final swipe at 2 of his 6 sons. What an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 287December 21, 2019 2:06 AM

People have long used last will and testaments to settle scores from beyond grave. Joan Crawford's "for reasons very well known to them" wasn't the first slap from beyond, nor certainly last. You generally find people who do such things were nasty controlling pieces of work in life; and went to their graves unchanged.

Happily courts can (and often do) set aside such meanness .

by Anonymousreply 288December 21, 2019 2:40 AM

Who gets to keep all of his wigs?

by Anonymousreply 289December 21, 2019 2:42 AM

R289 LOL Maybe they can auction them off or re-style them into more stylish hairpieces for needy gentlemen?

I have no doubt he was controlling. He was controlling with the band. The rest of the band were easy going guys and went along with it until it just got to be too much. Ric claimed he was only controlling with music but that's pretty doubtful. It always sounded like Paulina had work around his wants and needs and that he often wasn't very "present" emotionally in the relationship. People who don't have to deal with that crap think because he's "a genius" it's something everyone else should just put up with and be thankful for it.

She probably just got tired of it and wanted to live her life while she was still young enough to enjoy it. There was certainly no guarantee 2 and a half years ago when they separated that he was going to kick off by the time he was 75, but people think she should have stayed because he was old and would die at some point, which to me seems more avaricious and cold-hearted than just openly separating and being honest about it. I have little doubt Paulina thought the things she said about it being amicable were true. I think Ric could be like that, because he was very secretive, then you find he's stabbed you in the back.

by Anonymousreply 290December 22, 2019 12:25 AM

He was estranged from the other guy who sang and claimed to have regret about that after Orr died. Then he turns around and disinherits 2 of his 6 sons and swipes at the wife who put up with him and who invited them all to come when he died. Nasty, nasty piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 291December 22, 2019 12:54 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292February 29, 2020 12:12 AM

R292 Better with black hair.

by Anonymousreply 293February 29, 2020 12:14 AM

Doesn't that son in the pic described as the handsomest of his sons look like the guy from the Cars who died of cancer?

by Anonymousreply 294February 29, 2020 2:36 AM

R294 What pic is one of their son's described as the handsomest?

by Anonymousreply 295February 29, 2020 3:43 AM

Sooooo if you had received more money you would grieve better then? Okay!

by Anonymousreply 296February 29, 2020 4:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!