Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Scraaaantastic!

I love living in Scranton, PA! Rent is super cheap and will buy very soon. In fact, the low cost of living allows the financial freedom to travel all over. If I want some “culture” New York is a short bus ride away, or can just drive in. Don’t know why more people don’t take advantage of this.

by Anonymousreply 168January 7, 2020 12:11 PM

hope you enjoy long, cold winters OP

by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2019 8:25 PM

You know what they say, OP The Lackawanna Valley Industrial Highway is the road to Oz.

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2019 8:27 PM

post some pics

by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2019 8:30 PM

[R1] There are cold winters in most of the U.S., might as well be able to afford to go somewhere warm.

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2019 8:31 PM

[quote] Don’t know why more people don’t take advantage of this.

Because then we'd have to live in Scranton.

by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2019 8:32 PM

[R3] Here’s my favorite restaurant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2019 8:32 PM

Does the Avoca Airport still use that narrow runway between two mountains?

by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2019 8:32 PM

OP is Joe Biden!

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2019 8:33 PM

[R7] I guess so yes, it’s a really nice airport. Part of it has a deconstructivism vibe.

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2019 8:38 PM

Scranton is ok for a middle sized city. I live outside it in the Abingtons though. We are like Scarsdale to NYC. Scranton also got it's first bathhouse but I'm afraid to know. Hard to have anonymous sex here.

by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2019 8:42 PM

There is a user on Adultfriendfinder from there that I love to watch, "Thick_in_nepa"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2019 8:44 PM

another pic, of his cock

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 5, 2019 8:45 PM

Because this OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 5, 2019 8:49 PM

Entertaining info on the bathhouse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 5, 2019 8:49 PM

So many properties for sale here, because taxes are ridiculous. I wonder who will win the mayoral election.

by Anonymousreply 15November 5, 2019 8:51 PM

Ugh I grew up nearby - such a depressing, backwards place. Good luck there- I guess this post means you are trying to convince yourself you actually like it there

by Anonymousreply 16November 5, 2019 8:52 PM

Another great business in Scranton, actually two. Owners (gay couple) were in New York a long time before coming to Scranton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 5, 2019 8:55 PM

Is Scranton the Paris of Pennsylvania?

by Anonymousreply 18November 5, 2019 8:55 PM

R14, I was in tears when the guy being interviewed in that video said "I didn't expect to see this but it looks like it is coming,"

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2019 9:01 PM

I don't mind rust belt shit holes if one can live in a decent neighborhood, above one's means elsewhere, but doesn't this depend on one's occupation and earning power? OP, are you making a good living there? How?

by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2019 9:04 PM

Maybe they mean this place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 5, 2019 9:05 PM

[R20] work from home, project manager, 6 figure salary

by Anonymousreply 22November 5, 2019 9:07 PM

Bring your own lock.

Those poor stock photo models!

by Anonymousreply 23November 5, 2019 9:07 PM

And WTF is this, "Dave's Group"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 5, 2019 9:09 PM

If America needed an enema, Scranton is where they would insert the nozzle.

by Anonymousreply 25November 5, 2019 9:39 PM

[R25] Wrong, it would be D.C.

by Anonymousreply 26November 5, 2019 9:43 PM

And there should be a lot of recreational drugs there too, Scranton backwards is "Not Narcs". Toke up, OP.

by Anonymousreply 27November 5, 2019 10:37 PM

[R27] right, because no one in New York does meth or coke.

by Anonymousreply 28November 5, 2019 10:48 PM

With global warming, Scranton just might be in a great position for becoming a DL cultural hub. I will move there once it becomes a zone seven for gardening and I can have camellias and dogwoods, OP. Keep us posted!

by Anonymousreply 29November 6, 2019 12:01 AM

[quote]OP, are you making a good living there? How?

Head towel boy at the new bathhouse.

by Anonymousreply 30November 6, 2019 12:11 AM

[R30] I wish! Life would be much simpler!

by Anonymousreply 31November 6, 2019 12:28 AM

SPAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTASTICCCCCCCCCCCCC

by Anonymousreply 32November 6, 2019 12:30 AM

OP I wonder if I know you. Our main industries here are healthcare, higher education, distribution logistics, government and manufacturing. Our airport is pretty awesome. They rebuilt the terminal and you breeze through TSA and onto your plane. You can show up 20 minutes before take off and be fine.

by Anonymousreply 33November 6, 2019 2:59 AM

I grew up there. Left as soon as possible for NYC 40 years ago. Recently back to visit friends with whom I've re-connected, and have enjoyed it. Still down at heel, but the best pizza in the U.S.

NOW they open a bathhouse. Thirty years to late for me.

by Anonymousreply 34November 6, 2019 3:25 AM

[R33] I’m sure we’ve run into each other. I’ve noticed that locals are always trying to figure out if they know you from childhood or high school though, what’s up with that?

by Anonymousreply 35November 6, 2019 3:26 AM

It's a way of connecting and to see if you know anybody they know. It's kind of like saying what clan you're a part of.

by Anonymousreply 36November 6, 2019 3:37 AM

Scranton is one of the three worst places in all of PA - Erie and Johnstown being the other two.

by Anonymousreply 37November 6, 2019 3:41 AM

Scrotum is actually a really swinging town.

by Anonymousreply 38November 6, 2019 3:44 AM

The best pizza in the US is in SCRANTON and you don't know the difference between to and too. Hmm. ok, R34.I do wonder at your choices.

by Anonymousreply 39November 6, 2019 5:17 AM

I type badly, hence the 'to', and, if you read my post, I said the best pizza is in Scranton and its neighbors. I may type badly, but at least I have good reading comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 40November 6, 2019 12:00 PM

"They rebuilt the terminal and you breeze through TSA and onto your plane."

And since the airport has no direct flights to any place other than hub airports (Atlanta, O'Hare, EWR, PHL), whatever time you save in Scranton will be wasted in the all too many delays so common at hub airports.

by Anonymousreply 41November 6, 2019 12:09 PM

It’s true about the security, even if you have a connection, it’s much easier, and delays are minimal. I would never live somewhere just because it’s close to a hub airport. I’m not in sales, so I travel when I want to, not when a corporation tells me to. I’m also not in a hurry when I travel, why is everyone in such a rush?

The pizza isn’t my favorite here though, but it’s not something I eat a lot of anyway.

by Anonymousreply 42November 6, 2019 1:36 PM

[quote][R14], I was in tears when the guy being interviewed in that video said "I didn't expect to see this but it looks like it is coming,"

I liked this part:

[quote]"I don't know of anything like this in the area until you get around there to Dickson City."

by Anonymousreply 43November 6, 2019 1:42 PM

OP? I'm from PA Dutch Country and the people in Scranton make us look happy and gay.

Scranton (and all of PA) was too depressing for me, OP. I left years ago and have no regrets.

by Anonymousreply 44November 6, 2019 1:47 PM

There's nothing quite like Scranton in the springtime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 6, 2019 1:53 PM

Ok. I am going to set the record straight about Scranton and Lackawanna County. I grew up here but lived 25 years in LA before returning for family reasons. I left hating the place like some of you but see it differently now that I'm an eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 46November 6, 2019 4:19 PM

I think it would be fine - assuming you already made money and want to live cheaply. There are worse places than area outside Scranton. Some nice houses cheap. Like upstate NY - but closer to Philly and NYC.

by Anonymousreply 47November 6, 2019 4:26 PM

R22/OP - what field are you in as a project manager?

by Anonymousreply 48November 6, 2019 4:34 PM

R22/OP - what field are you in as a project manager?

by Anonymousreply 49November 6, 2019 4:34 PM

It's better than Wilkes-Barre.

by Anonymousreply 50November 6, 2019 4:49 PM

I'm still in a state of shock that a town of 76,000 could support a bathhouse. I think the smallest city I'm aware of that has a bathhouse is Reno, which has a population of around 500,000 in its county. (Granted that there are a lot of smaller cities around Scranton, but still the county only has a population of 200,000). Will people from Philly or NYC really board a bus or a train to go to a bathhouse in Scranton?

by Anonymousreply 51November 6, 2019 4:54 PM

[R49] IT adjacent field

by Anonymousreply 52November 6, 2019 4:58 PM

R51 - I think the sign is a fraud. Why would they go out of their way to publicize it to neighbors? I think it was a prank on the owner or for the neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 53November 6, 2019 5:09 PM

OP & Scrantonian which neighborhoods would be good for a couple of 50 year olds. Looking to spend up to $325k for a 3BR but don’t want alot of yard.

by Anonymousreply 54November 6, 2019 5:17 PM

Scranton is one of those rust belt cities that once had a considerably larger population than it does now. In 1930 it had a population of 143,000. That explains why their infrastructure is clearly much larger than a city of 77,000 could have ever developed.

by Anonymousreply 55November 6, 2019 5:18 PM

[R54] Hill Section has many properties that are well under, close to downtown and many have been remodeled. None have large yards. Avoid Greenridge, it’s a lot of inbred locals and way overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 56November 6, 2019 5:27 PM

Of course OP has a vague job that pays six figures in a shitty town and takes a bus to NYC for culture.

by Anonymousreply 57November 6, 2019 5:37 PM

A quick peak on Zillow shows that most homes are between $40K and $200K. The real fancy pants ones (just a few) are less than $400K.

by Anonymousreply 58November 6, 2019 5:39 PM

[R57] Jealous? Don’t hate me because I don’t work in a shop.

by Anonymousreply 59November 6, 2019 5:41 PM

OP ain't no common shop girl, that's for damn sure.

by Anonymousreply 60November 6, 2019 6:18 PM

It’s crazy that you can get a house for $100,000 within 1 1/2 hours to NYC. It really is such a divided world - tens of millions to be at the center, tens of thousands to be on the fringe. Fortunately getting to the point of life where I don’t need to be at the center.

by Anonymousreply 61November 6, 2019 6:49 PM

Scranton is part of the Scranton -Wilkes Barre Metropolitan Statistical area. The population is approximately 500,000. I don't know if that's enough to support a bathhouse either. We have one adult book store, one adult movie theatre , two gay bars, no cruising areas and a lot of truckers passing through.

by Anonymousreply 62November 6, 2019 9:51 PM

Actually Marcia there are a lot of people here like myself and OP that have jobs that are a combination of traveling mostly around the east coast and working from home. Companies save significant money not having to pay for people to live in expensive larger metro areas. And the buses leave for the Port Authority about ever other hour around the clock.

by Anonymousreply 63November 6, 2019 9:59 PM

I hope this is the prelude to ESTs by a new DL character, the Scranton Troll.

by Anonymousreply 64November 6, 2019 10:04 PM

I grew up in Scranton and left permanently in my mid twenties. I still have a strong affection for the place. It was a great part of the country to be a child, and NYC was such a short hop, we never wanted for culture. (Philadelphia and Hershey were destinations for many class trips. I miss the gray skies and the the heavy, heavy rains, as crazy as that sounds.

by Anonymousreply 65November 6, 2019 10:08 PM

R57 - that is me as well - work from home with a great salary. My company (and boss) actually forced me to work from home as the company was trying to reduce it's real estate footprint. There are pluses and minuses - mostly pluses as I can work from anywhere - not just my house. Minuses are that I miss out on office gossip for the most part and collegiate aspects of working in an office with co-workers as well as it gets a little lonely at holiday time. I have always been lucky wherever I worked to have great work relationships.

by Anonymousreply 66November 6, 2019 10:15 PM

What is so EST about this thread?

by Anonymousreply 67November 6, 2019 10:17 PM

Would kill for work form home job - nothing redeeming about reporting to an office of people who are not friends and with whom I would likely not associate if I could choose.

Would love to able to live far from the city in a cheap house in the country,

by Anonymousreply 68November 6, 2019 10:37 PM

I couldn’t imagine not living in a “top 10” city. I’m glad you’re happy in Scranton, I’m just sad that you’re missing out on a fabulous life full of arts, music, culture, community, and meaning. I don’t understand why some gay men just give up. Places like Scranton are for deplorable breeders.

by Anonymousreply 69November 6, 2019 10:50 PM

That's awfully condescending and misinformed, R69. I live outside of a "top ten" city in the country. When it warrants it, I'm happy to jump into the car to take in a museum exhibit or see a play. There can be plenty of culture in smaller towns, though. My town especially seems to be a mecca for creative types that were burnt out on city living and also saw financial and emotional benefits from moving outside of it. Being in the country may mean a smaller dating pool and not having everything you might want at your fingertips, however, I have access to nature, peace, and quiet and have I've been able to afford a home and personalize it to my taste all while enjoying a significant amount of appreciation. Just because one doesn't live in a "top 10" city doesn't mean they've given up.

by Anonymousreply 70November 6, 2019 11:26 PM

Why not Bridgeport, CT?

by Anonymousreply 71November 6, 2019 11:38 PM

^^Start a BRIDGETASTIC thread!

by Anonymousreply 72November 6, 2019 11:44 PM

Agree, R70, R69 has a lamentably parochial view of life outside a Bog 10. I live in a smaller city, but there is no lack of culture. We have a strong visual arts scene, and there are a number of international and gasp! NYC artists who make it their home part of the year because they actually prefer working here. I've seen some really boundary pushing shows here. There's also vibrant indy music scene, and we have more independent theaters per capita than anywhere else in the country. A NY Times food writer recently spent time here and was just shocked-shocked, I tell you! at how incredibly good the restaurant scene is here. Best of all, all of this is affordable. So , R69, screw you and your myopic view.

by Anonymousreply 73November 6, 2019 11:51 PM

[quote] I couldn’t imagine not living in a “top 10” city

How sad a person are you. Is your ego that fragile? One day, if you live long enough, you'll remember that statement and think "what in the hell was I thinking?".

by Anonymousreply 74November 7, 2019 12:03 AM

Of course I wouldn’t be caught dead there, but I think it’s tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 75November 7, 2019 12:10 AM

[R69] not missing out on anything, it’s easy to see or do anything I want in NYC, and I can afford to live in something bigger than a shoe box. In fact, I have a guest bedroom for friends and family who visit. Soon I’ll have a house with even more breathing room.

by Anonymousreply 76November 7, 2019 12:26 AM

We voted for Obama by 12 points and Hillary by 3 points. We are purple. I kind of like living where there is political diversity. There is something to say for the excitement of big city art and culture but it all eventually gets to the smaller cities one way or the other maybe without the original glamour and novelty.

by Anonymousreply 77November 7, 2019 12:40 AM

I get what everyone is saying about these small towns eventually getting the creativity from the “big city” by the trickle-down effect, and that they can hop on a bus or train to experience real life, but at the age of 49 I’m just not ready to miss out on everything the city offers. And honestly, I don’t think I’ll be willing to give up the excitement of the city at any age. I also wonder how often the gays in the suburbs actually go into the city and experience life.

by Anonymousreply 78November 7, 2019 12:52 AM

Some people I know go 3-4 times a year. Others never.

by Anonymousreply 79November 7, 2019 1:56 AM

R78-experience "real life?" Go fuck yourself with your condescension. People who live in places you deem culturally inferior live "real lives." Probably more authentic than the pretentious day-to-day existence you congratulate yourself about every nanosecond. You're exactly the kind of person Republicans hold up as cultural elites to sway voters. Your contempt that doesn't conform to anyone who lives like you is so predictable.

by Anonymousreply 80November 7, 2019 11:02 AM

I lived in Bucks County for over 20 years. I found it very, very elitist, pretentious, very clique-y and very unwelcoming. Gay or straight, it did not matter. Gotta have some big bucks to live in Bucks. But, plenty of culture and expensive restaurants, for those who could afford them. It was overpriced in every way, from that entertainment to the cost of housing. I left PA and don't regret it. Good pizza, however.

I did contemplate a move to Allentown/Bethlehem area. Several warned me against such a move. They said skinhead and white supremacist groups are very active. Any truth to that?

by Anonymousreply 81November 7, 2019 11:43 AM

Wow, I could have written your post, R70. I now live an hour+ outside a major "Top 10" city and enjoy my creative/hippie/pretty little town with access to the beach and the woods. I can easy get to the city - and just did last night, for example. But I'm enjoying a different pace of life now than the one I had for 30 or more years in the city.

by Anonymousreply 82November 7, 2019 4:49 PM

It is a shithole full of trash people. But good luck living there in Trumpville!

by Anonymousreply 83November 7, 2019 4:57 PM

I love watching all these guys justifying their sad little lives living on the fringes of society. Sweetie, everyone that has any value wants to be in the city. But there’s a place for everyone, so that’s fine. Just please admit you’re not livingbas a fulfilling life as we are. Not everyone has the money to live a great life.

by Anonymousreply 84November 7, 2019 5:08 PM

I get OP and if you do have a reasonably good income you can stay "above the fray" in these otherwise less than optimal places, but anywhere, you can find some good and interesting people and interesting things to do.

by Anonymousreply 85November 7, 2019 5:13 PM

If anyone wants to laugh their asses off, put R84 on ignore, and take a look at some of his posts. Someone needs a tuneup with his therapist, stat.

"Why can't we create camaraderie with other gay men?" he asks. Vigorous eye roll.

by Anonymousreply 86November 7, 2019 5:34 PM

[R84] Please clarify your statement about people having value or not having value. Do people with value have the same rights and privileges as those without value? How do we determine if someone has value or not?

by Anonymousreply 87November 7, 2019 5:36 PM

R87 - it’s a hierarchy. People with more value are at the top (they support the arts, education, volunteerism, community) and people with less value are at the bottom (they eat TV dinners in their hovels in the suburbs and contribute nothing to society.)

by Anonymousreply 88November 7, 2019 5:41 PM

R69...Scranton, and Lackawanna County in general, tends toward blue. US Senator Bob Casey, a Dem, was born and raised in Scranton, and his dad was a popular PA governor. Joe Biden hails from Pittston (not far from Dave’s Spa). Not saying that they aren’t lurking, but Scranton is not completely deplorable. So it’s got that going for it.

by Anonymousreply 89November 7, 2019 5:58 PM

I was born there, got out. But visit family. It’s being a bit overrun with New Yorkers who think they’re hot shit because they came from New York, but uh, now they now live in Scranton so...

Anyway, some of the best pizza ever from that city and the nearby towns.

by Anonymousreply 90November 7, 2019 6:04 PM

R90 - Nailed it! “They used to live in NY (and therefore they had value) but now they’re in Scranton! (So they’re losers)

by Anonymousreply 91November 7, 2019 6:06 PM

Not quite what I said R91, but you do you.

by Anonymousreply 92November 7, 2019 6:10 PM

What is a Scranton . . . what is a week-end?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 7, 2019 6:56 PM

[R88] that’s unfortunate that you view the world that way Lincoln denounced this way of thinking in the Lincoln-Douglas debates, with good reason. It’s also a dangerous concept that empowers tyrannical people like Trump, who think they’re above the law.

by Anonymousreply 94November 7, 2019 7:22 PM

I hear what the cosmopolitan worldly city mice are saying. I miss a lot of things about LA. A Scranton 10 is an LA 3. We do have some pretty run down "depressing" areas. We also have some really nice suburban and semi rural areas. If you want to look at the nicer areas look to Clarks Summit (that gay skaters hometown) or South Abington Township and the Abingtons (that gay playwright who wrote angry people that got the Tony). One great thing about here is that nobody I mean nobody lets anyone get away with having any airs so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 95November 7, 2019 8:41 PM

R95-if you really want to move up in the world, head to Waverly. Just don't go too far or you'll end up in Dalton.

by Anonymousreply 96November 7, 2019 8:51 PM

[quote] If I want some “culture” New York is a short bus ride away, or can just drive in.

2 hours and 30 minutes to NYC isn't a short ride

by Anonymousreply 97November 7, 2019 9:00 PM

All these guys living in nowheresville claim that they take a “quick trip” into the city to stay relevant. I doubt that happens more than once a year.

by Anonymousreply 98November 7, 2019 9:02 PM

Tasteful friends. 4 beds 7 baths. And a pool. 7 baths!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 7, 2019 9:11 PM

And OP gets to see our brother Ryan Leckey on WNEP-16.

by Anonymousreply 100November 7, 2019 9:15 PM

Just curious for the people in the big ten cities. How many and what cultural events have you gone to in the past four months? Gay pride events, orgies, and office potlucks don't count. Neither does anything involving Downtown Abbey, drag or escorts.

by Anonymousreply 101November 7, 2019 9:16 PM

[R97] It takes that long if you drive like a senior citizen. I know people driving is hard concept for many of the people sequestered to cities. I go several times a year to NY, but more often, I fly to L.A., since the art and architecture scene is better there, and that’s what I’m into.

by Anonymousreply 102November 7, 2019 9:20 PM

R69, R78, R83, R84, R88, R91, and R98 are all the same person trying to stir shit up. Honey, go back to talking to yourself in your Rape Fantasies thread. You're kind of pathetic We get it. You're trying to claw your way up in the world after leaving the trailer park., kudos. Many of us have lived in NY and other big cities and left. because there are other options than living in Manhattan full-time.

by Anonymousreply 103November 7, 2019 9:23 PM

[R70] I think it’s the individual known as “Bootsie Gumdrop” or something else like that.

by Anonymousreply 104November 7, 2019 9:26 PM

I take the tram to the station then the night train to Venice, water taxi to the Grand Hôtel des Bains on the Lido. A touch up at the barbiere and I'm ready for my beach holiday. No car!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 7, 2019 9:38 PM

When I was driving on Route 611 saw a sign that I thought was Scrotum. The town was Scotrun.

by Anonymousreply 106November 7, 2019 9:42 PM

I’m so glad I have a driver. He picks me up at my house in Stamford and takes me to my apartment in the West Village for weekend fun. I can use the time in the car to do whatever I want.

by Anonymousreply 107November 7, 2019 9:48 PM

R99-that place is huge. It has good bones but needs a serious interior makeover. Evidently that family liked to be very, very clean.

by Anonymousreply 108November 7, 2019 9:50 PM

Then there's this for just a shade under one million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 7, 2019 9:53 PM

This Dupont house at 109 is atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 110November 7, 2019 9:57 PM

Scranton isn't a bad location really..close to a lot and pretty in the Poconos. However, there is just something about Pennsylvania outside of Philly and Pittsburgh. It feels like stepping back in time. I was born an hour south of there so passed through many times to visit my Nonna.

by Anonymousreply 111November 7, 2019 10:06 PM

We have horrible taste here in Scranton when it comes to interior design. Even our version of rich people have poor taste when they can afford to be better. If you want to buy an abandoned school, church, firehouse, bank or old style warehouse for 50k to make into your home or office look into Northeastern Pennsylvania. Artist Hunt Sloan purchased an entire armory in Scranton to live work and store his art when he was displaced by Hudson Yards. It was featured in Architectural Digest.

by Anonymousreply 112November 8, 2019 1:05 AM

I've visited 2 homes in armories, both fantastic - very 60s/70s commune vibe even if completely brought up to code.

by Anonymousreply 113November 8, 2019 1:07 AM

Here's the Hunt Slonem article. Phenomenal artist. He can't decorate to save his life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114November 8, 2019 10:55 AM

But wait-there's more. Yikes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 8, 2019 11:00 AM

OR you could just get a degree which allows you to get a good job that pays enough for you to live where you want.

by Anonymousreply 116November 8, 2019 11:28 AM

R116-OP claims he's making 6 figures. Sounds like he's doing just fine. Fact is, not everyone finds living in a big city paradise.

by Anonymousreply 117November 8, 2019 12:01 PM

[R116] I have two degrees. Where’s yours from? University of Phoenix? In my experience is that having a degree doesn’t equal money, and some are even too educated to be employable. Just visit a nonprofit to learn more about that.

Even if I made millions, the idea of living in a large building doesn’t appeal to me. I don’t want to share a wall with anyone, or live in a dense neighborhood. I don’t want want to be screwed into paying large amounts of money for it either. I want to look out my window and see green when I wake up and not another building.

by Anonymousreply 118November 8, 2019 12:21 PM

You tell him, OP, R118. I've lived in both major and minor cities and have loved them both. Fact is, most places have a great deal to offer if you're not a myopic " NYC is the ONLY place in the world worthy to live in" fucktard. That kind of parochial view is so limiting, and those kind of people miss out on so many life pleasures.

by Anonymousreply 119November 8, 2019 1:01 PM

R106, it's no Coxsackie.

by Anonymousreply 120November 8, 2019 7:29 PM

One thing my old boyfriend and I would do is find places that didn't seem like traditional travel destinations and really research and explore them. That was half the fun of it. We had great trips to Bakersfield, Duluth, Omaha and Buffalo. Scranton is in the same category. What's great, fascinating and interesting isn't going to be obvious from the surface and a quick glance. You're not going to be spoon fed your experience.

by Anonymousreply 121November 9, 2019 2:48 AM

Wouldn't you rather live in Florence or Seville?

by Anonymousreply 122November 9, 2019 2:55 AM

R122-Love to visit, yes- even for an extended period of time like three or four months.. Live, no. Places that are permanently infested with tourists lose their appeal for me after awhile. I've lived in plenty of places like that already, thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 123November 9, 2019 10:20 AM

[R122] might as well live in Marfa, TX.

by Anonymousreply 124November 9, 2019 11:24 AM

Well OP I have to congratulate you. I never thought this thread would reach 100, much less 10 posts. It truly is the magic of Scranton that this thread did not turn into another lame basic discussion about living in NY, LA, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and the other top ten metro areas.

by Anonymousreply 125November 10, 2019 8:24 PM

Lived in PA for college. People from PA are losers.

by Anonymousreply 126November 10, 2019 8:25 PM

Where did you go? The Devry Institute? You must be very smart. That's a very competitive school. Now back to our regular programming. Spokane? Jackson? Modesto? Chattanooga? Reno? Corpus Christi? Peoria? Youngstown? Portland ME? Gay Small City Lives Matter!

by Anonymousreply 127November 10, 2019 8:34 PM

Love Portland, ME!

by Anonymousreply 128November 11, 2019 12:26 PM

[R125] It is also a testament to my ability to craft the perfect DL thread that gets people interested, yet annoyed.

by Anonymousreply 129November 11, 2019 12:37 PM

Well, I am convinced. But who will shovel all of that snow out of my driveway in the winter? I have never lived in a cold place before.

by Anonymousreply 130November 12, 2019 4:52 AM

R130-You hire a strapping young college man to do it. Then invite him in for hot cocoa afterwards. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 131November 12, 2019 10:38 AM

[R131] This sounds like something out of the Weinstein playbook. Wearing a robe when he comes inside? Or, do you say, “do you like porno?” This happened to me once, yuck.

by Anonymousreply 132November 12, 2019 12:59 PM

Ew, I'm sorry, R132. It was in jest.

by Anonymousreply 133November 12, 2019 1:21 PM

R12, SHAVED TO THE BONE

by Anonymousreply 134November 12, 2019 1:27 PM

Had they included an admission to Club 33 in Disneyland®, we might have considered it . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 12, 2019 6:50 PM

wrong thread, sorry

by Anonymousreply 136November 12, 2019 7:03 PM

R1 Is it really that different from New York?

by Anonymousreply 137November 12, 2019 8:14 PM

I love the countryside surrounding Scranton. There are a lot of pretty, pretty lakes-Newton, Rider's and Crystal. Heart-shaped Lake Winola, where Hilary Clinton summered as a child, is absolutely gorgeous. Their annual regatta concludes with one of the best - and longest - fireworks displays I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 138November 12, 2019 8:35 PM

The farms around here are great as well. Within 15 to 30 minutes from me I can year round go direct to farms and buy their milk, ice cream, apples, tomatoes, pumpkins, honey, beef, chicken, turkey, green beans and more. This town sucks for fresh fish though. The local asian buffet has fried breaded scallops that are really reconstituted imitation crab and nobody notices. And rumour is that the owners don't let the workers keep their tips. And they abuse the Koi in their pond.

by Anonymousreply 139November 14, 2019 3:56 AM

What about Coopers, R139-as a kid I loved it-their ridiculous gaudy sea-themed decor and indoor train along the ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 140November 14, 2019 10:35 AM

Coopers is fun to go to for the kitsch atmosphere and local history displays. The food is meh. Their gift store has the biggest and best selection of The Office merchandise in the area.

by Anonymousreply 141November 15, 2019 3:05 AM

I've been gone so long-what are the best restaurants now? I'll be visiting family in August? I absolutely have to go to Coney Island Hot Dogs. Such a great little dive place.

by Anonymousreply 142November 15, 2019 10:22 AM

How weird there's a dive in Fort Wayne, Indiana, also called Coney Island. So good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 15, 2019 12:28 PM

Here's Scranton's. Absolutely terrific chili dogs. And oh my god, the logo! Yes, I'm 12, but I am on DL, after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 15, 2019 1:21 PM

If you live in Scranton, how do you say it? You can't hit that "t," or you haven't gone native. Scrah'in."

by Anonymousreply 145November 15, 2019 1:22 PM

You never pronounce the t. The new mayor who is a millennial who just moved here from Oregon three years ago pronounces the T. If people knew that she would have never been elected.

by Anonymousreply 146November 16, 2019 4:30 AM

R137 NYC is tempered somewhat by the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 147November 16, 2019 4:35 AM

This thread is hilarious... I totally see the allure of small towns, green expanses, and space. The affected one who has been taken to task here was on block already, but read many posts which were referenced here and there......painful.

Much of PA is beautiful country. Many of the people are very warm too.

by Anonymousreply 148November 16, 2019 5:34 AM

Well of course the green rolling hills are lovely. One simply does not live there full time! I have a Country home in CT, but I would never leave NYC as my primary residence.

by Anonymousreply 149November 16, 2019 12:05 PM

[R149] Sure you do, Martha! The Homewood Suites isn’t considered a home!

by Anonymousreply 150November 16, 2019 12:52 PM

R142, The Settler's Inn is lovely and the food is terrific.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151November 16, 2019 2:23 PM

Thanks, R151. Have you ever been to the Dorflinger Glass Museum? They have a lovely summer outdoor music concert series, as I recall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152November 16, 2019 4:57 PM

R152, no. Looks interesting, and our friends there mentioned it too. I don't expect we'll be back in the area until 2022, but we'll keep it on the radar.

by Anonymousreply 153November 17, 2019 12:00 AM

As requested places to eat in Scranton and surrounding areas: Alfredos for Italian American, Basilicos for Italian American with some class and a step up, Casa Bella for dinner in a somewhat mafia looking restaurant with hot young waiters straight from Italy, Abe's Deli, The Gourmet Diner, Ambers Indian Restaurant, Thai Rak Thai, Coopers Seafood but not for the ok food, Savory Maza Lebanese, Alterhouse for foodies, Carmens at the Lackawanna Station (not the buffet or lounge food) and Terra Preta Prime. Lots of the best food is not at restaurants but different church, hose company and community events. We also have a sizable Bhutanese Nepali and Indian Gujarati populations which have their own small markets/restaurants

by Anonymousreply 154November 17, 2019 12:53 AM

Many thanks, R154. Scranton really has changed. Bhutanese Nepali and Indian Gujarati populations were definitely not a fixture when I was there. How wonderful for the area. It needs revitalization.

by Anonymousreply 155November 17, 2019 1:00 AM

Gee OP are you proud owner of the most obnoxious television personality ever. He musty have some really good dirt on someone to have that job for so long. Just horrible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156November 17, 2019 1:13 AM

[quote]hose company

come again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157November 17, 2019 1:27 AM

Don’t mean to be an asshole, but I grew up in Manhattan and lived in PA for 7 years before I moved back home. That entire state depresses the shit out of me. There’s a perpetual cloud hanging over it. The only thing I liked about it was the sky on a clear night.

by Anonymousreply 158November 17, 2019 1:37 AM

R158 I can understand how the state can seem depressing to some. Sorry you had such a bad PA experience. Nobody from Manhattan or the West Coast likes it here for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 159November 17, 2019 2:46 AM

I grew up outside and thought it a magical childhood. Of course, this was back when children were free range. I spent hours on my bike, hiking through the woods, hanging out at my relatives' lake houses, etc. It was pretty idyllic. The economy was what drove me away. Had it been viable, I might have considered staying.

by Anonymousreply 160November 17, 2019 3:25 AM

That house at R99 has an elevator! (Picture # 59 of 73).

by Anonymousreply 161November 17, 2019 3:40 AM

Why did the Bhutanese Nepali and Gujarati come to Scranton? Serious question.

by Anonymousreply 162November 17, 2019 4:08 AM

[quote]That house at [R99] has an elevator! (Picture # 59 of 73).

Used as a closet. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 163November 17, 2019 5:07 AM

The Nepali Bhutanese were brought here through Catholic Social Services as refugees. I don't think they have refugee status anymore. I'm not sure about the Gujarati. I know they are not wealthy. Both groups seem to have a lot of people working in one of our many distribution/order fulfillment centers like Lord & Taylor, Amazon, TJ Maxx among others. Maybe this is part of it.

by Anonymousreply 164November 20, 2019 7:24 PM

It is still a shithole. Friend of mine left because there is no there there. If you are from Long Island, Connecticut or a nice place in the Northeast it is a big step down.

by Anonymousreply 165January 5, 2020 6:32 PM

I've always been told by New Yorkers that the Nuyoricans ruined eastern PA. Is Scranton immune?

by Anonymousreply 166January 5, 2020 7:11 PM

Hard pass. NYC exports its ghetto trash to the Poconos.

by Anonymousreply 167January 6, 2020 12:02 AM

Times Square is the definition of ghetto. NYC has its fair share of ghetto, you just have to pay more for it.

by Anonymousreply 168January 7, 2020 12:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!