Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dog "talks" though soundboard

Very interesting. I'd love this to be tested rigorously under more controlled conditions. I'm not saying this isn't possible, and we know from animals like Koko the gorilla and Alex the African Grey Parrot, animals are certainly capable of doing this.

But we've been fooled before to like with those horses who apparently could do math (and give results by stomping their hooves) only to be revealed as picking up on their trainers non-verbal clues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2019 6:51 PM

She should try adding "YOU'RE A CUNT" and see how often its pawed.

by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2019 9:13 AM

I'm super suspicious of this, because they have included emotions like 'happy' and I don't know how you could ever train a dog to associate a word with a feeling. I can believe that you can train them to associate a word with an object or activity as that's just a normal part of training, and once the dog learns the sound of a word means a particular thing, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to accept that they could initiate the word when they want something. After all, my dog does express that he wants certain things and I have to interpret his body language and expressions, but if he could press a button that he knew would instantly tell me what he wanted I think he would.

It's just the emotion side of things I'm dubious about, I find it hard to believe a dog would understand the concept of 'happy' and know to press the button when it was feeling happy. Not that a dog can't experience emotions - they absolutely can and do, but I don't know how they could ever associate the emotion with a particular word. Unless every time the dog was happy, the owner constantly said the word - but even then, how would they know it was referring to what they were feeling and not what was actually making them happy?

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2019 9:25 AM

For eons animals know what they have to do to manipulate us (well, the ones who are kind and benevolent) by pushing the right buttons.

by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2019 10:00 AM

Op, the horse you were thinking of was called Clever Hans, and he couldn’t do math when he was blinkered. He was picking up non-verbal cues from his owner.

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2019 10:15 AM

Jeez dogs are so needy and demanding, it would be torture if my manipulative dog could talk. Doggy's first words "Do what I want asshole, right now".

by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2019 11:42 AM

Dogs are smart, but they aren’t that smart. They respond to sounds, not words. My housemate’s dog responds to her name, but also responds to anagrams of her name.

by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2019 11:48 AM

[Quote] "Do what I want asshole, right now".

I guess they have that in common with cats.

by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2019 11:49 AM

I wuff you. Now give me food or I'll eat you when you are asleep!

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2019 2:35 PM

I don't see what is impressive about this at all. As r2 said, he may know which button is happy but it's not like he knows what happy means, so how is that communicating?

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2019 3:00 PM

I believe this. My cat could count. I would take a handful of treats and two cups; pile the treats one-by-one in the cups, which would obscure the treats so you couldn't just look at the pile and see which was bigger. He would then walk up to the cup with the most treats and knock it over, even if it was just one more treat in one than the other. He did this every time. To remove confirmation bias or non-verbal cues, I'd get friends and relatives to perform this experiment when I wasn't in the room, and he still went to the fuller cup every time.

But yes, I also believe that he would have eaten me when I was asleep if given the opportunity. He was a good cat, and I still miss him more than a decade after he died.

by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2019 3:00 PM

Cha Cha tells me she loves me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2019 6:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!