Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

First visit to NYC---8 days over Thanksgiving---Recommendations?

Hi all, I am looking for recommendations of neighborhood treasures, lesser known things to see, hole in the wall bars and delicious (not high end) places to eat. Not into clubs and hipster stuff (I am old). Will definitely check out Stonewall Inn and The Julius Bar for some day drinking. Interested in Harlem, Soho, Greenwich Village, Chelsea neighborhoods. I have perused and saved the recent NYC threads, they are mostly about buildings and architecture, which is interesting, but I need more tips. Staying on UES, have a NY Pass for museums, etc, buying a transit pass to get around for the duration.

Fully prepared for helpful hints and pointless bitchery, so do not hold back. Sock it to me!

by Anonymousreply 155December 19, 2019 2:24 PM

The Theater, darling. They’ll be closed for several days while you’re there but you’ll get to see Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. You can see the Rockettes Christmas show at Rockefeller Plaza and go ice skating.

by Anonymousreply 1November 3, 2019 4:21 PM

If you're coming on Thanksgiving weekend, but sure to make some arrangements for actual Thanksgiving day meals if you are remotely particular about what you eat. Be aware that business hours for many types of businesses will be truncated on that day.

by Anonymousreply 2November 3, 2019 4:31 PM

Skip the Stonewall, go to Julius's, then cross the street and buy a book at Three Lives. Get tickets the The Inheritance (both parts if you've time). For breakfast: the Bodega sandwich at High Street on Hudson. For lunch: the oyster pan roast at Grand Central Oyster Bar. Around sunset have a cocktail at the top of the Standard, and then book dinner at Prune. Do not waste time with the Statue of Liberty or the Circle Line. Go to the Townhouse, it's deeply unfashionable and always good for an anecdote or two. Avoid the High Line at the weekend. .

by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2019 4:43 PM

Thanks everyone. Grand Central Oyster Bar already on my list! I am staying in someone's UES home, so I have TG dinner covered, I think. I was going to try to cross the park on TG in the AM and see a bit of parade (is there still an Underdog balloon? I love Underdog!) and then do park stuff when I imagine it may be quiet and nice for taking photos.

I once had a poetry chapbook placed for sale in St Mark's bookstore in the early 90s (ManicDPress, hey!) and I wanted to check out the store but found out is closed in 2011, wah. Definitely going into galleries and bookstores as I wander.

Why not gawk at SoL? I kinda love her.

I checked what was going on Broadway theater-wise but nothing sounded great to me. Will look for smaller theaters for matinee options.

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2019 5:04 PM

Advice? Yeah - Stay home! We are sick and tired of rude tourists who apparently don't have sidewalks back home in Dogpatch.

by Anonymousreply 5November 3, 2019 5:15 PM

Free Circle Line-type tour: round trip on the Staten Island Ferry! Nice views of lower Manhattan, plus Ellis Island, and the Statue of Liberty. I'm a cargo ship geek, and there are always some cool ones to see. You really get a feel for the waterway and its various functions--if you're into that. Either way, enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2019 5:17 PM

R5---Whoops forgot to mention I am buying a YUGE MAP, which I plan to open and peruse in the middle of many sidewalks. I absolutely YEARN for someone to snap, "I'm walkin here," at me!

Carry on!

by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2019 5:17 PM

Central Park could be nice on Thanksgiving when everything will be closed. Go when the weather is nice. It's really beautiful.

Walk from Battery Park up the Hudson River walkway to the West Village and then have lunch or dinner somewhere in the WV. I like Tartine, Cafe Cluny, Extra Virgin or somewhere else along West 4th Street.

Lots of museums are free on Friday nights - Cooper Hewitt, The Frick, MOMA, Morgan Library.

by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2019 5:30 PM

Two small jewel box museums to visit are The Morgan Library and Museum, which has exhibits by two gay artists- John Singer Sargent’s charcoal portraits and Duane Michals’ photography and has a little cafe that’s a nice respite, and The Frick, which will be closing next year for renovations and has a remarkable collection of paintings including multiple Vermeers and Rembrandts.

Near the Frick is one of the Alice’s Teacups, where you can have high tea, which will be a nice retreat from late fall.

Another small museum on the Upper East Side is the Neue Gallerie, which is dedicated to German and Austrian Art and holds the “Austrian” Mona Lisa, the portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer by Gustave Klimt, also known as the Woman in Gold. The cafe there, either upstairs or basement, is like a lovely Viennese Cafe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 3, 2019 5:31 PM

If churches are of any interest to you, as nice as St. Patrick’s Cathedral is, the Cathedral of St. John the Divine is a more transcendent experience similar to being in Europe. There are highlight tours most days and also “Vertical” behind the scenes tours that are fantastic. Afterwards, stop by the Hungarian Cafe across the street for coffee and dessert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 3, 2019 5:39 PM

Expect to be poorly treated!

by Anonymousreply 11November 3, 2019 5:49 PM

Thanks, newest posters! I do want to check out both the Cathedrals (raised Catholic, will go for Mom and Nana to light a candle, if possible, and to ogle the stained glass & Virgin Marys).

Morgan Museum is on my list. I tend to enjoy modern art more than Old Masters stuff, which I saw plenty of in Europe, so I've prioritized, Photography Museum, Guggenheim and MoMA. While I know there's a lot to learn on tours, not sure if I will commit to any because of time constraints. I probably have 5 times more stuff I want to do than actual allotted time to do it.

Forgot to say I will be working part time while there and will be mostly free during daytime hours, so lunch and happy hour (with food) recommendations especially appreciated! For dinner options I'd have to be able to go at unpopular *Early Bird Special* hours, which may put some places out of the running due to Big City Sophistication. (*Not such a yokel that I'm assuming places will have EBS offers, just that they'd have to be open by 5, or open all day from lunch through dinner for me to be able to stop in.)

by Anonymousreply 12November 3, 2019 5:58 PM

R11--- Hahaha, I am kinda looking forward to it, though I doubt I will be booed in the streets or locked up! I have a rather abrasive, no bullshit personality that I have always privately thought would be best accommodated in NYC, so I look forward to seeing how the interactions go.

Would also love to be picked up by Cash Cab to finance my adventures but I think I'll be stuck on buses and the subway for budgetary reasons.

by Anonymousreply 13November 3, 2019 6:03 PM

R3 is my exact recommendations as a long time NYer.

by Anonymousreply 14November 3, 2019 6:06 PM

Head up to the Cloisters for a moment of calm. It's a schlep but worth the trip.

by Anonymousreply 15November 3, 2019 6:08 PM

Dine at Peter Luger's for sure

by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2019 6:09 PM

R16---I don't eat meat so more into ethnic places with seafood and vegetarian options.

Also there is a Peter Luger thread here that says it is AWFUL. Was your recommendation pointless bitchery?

by Anonymousreply 17November 3, 2019 6:18 PM

Go to Central Park West the night before the parade and watch the balloons being blown up. If you want to watch the parade the best view is on your TV.

by Anonymousreply 18November 3, 2019 6:22 PM

Check out the Things to see in NY: Part II thread.

by Anonymousreply 19November 3, 2019 6:26 PM

R19---Thanks, I have read & saved those pages, will plug in some of the suggestions when I am in relevant areas.

I think I am going to try one of these personalized map apps or google feature that will help me put plot my points of interest so I can zig and zag my way around various areas seeing everything I want.

by Anonymousreply 20November 3, 2019 6:32 PM

[quote]I will be working part time while there and will be mostly free during daytime hours

Check out the Ramble in Central Park you might get lucky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 3, 2019 6:32 PM

OP download the NYC subway app it is a map of the subways and will help you to get around the city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 3, 2019 6:36 PM

R21--That's where I always imagined social-climbing hopeful Marjorie Morningstar going horseback riding, but turns out the Bridal Path is elsewhere.

I am not the type to get lucky in the park. I feel lucky if people just leave me the fuck alone.

by Anonymousreply 23November 3, 2019 6:37 PM

R9---Thanks, this is not far from where I am staying and I LOVE afternoon tea! Bookmarked!

by Anonymousreply 24November 3, 2019 6:50 PM

You might want to skip R16’s recommendations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 3, 2019 7:01 PM

Post Broadway go to Bar Centrale on West 44th but you must have a reservation, even for drinks.

by Anonymousreply 26November 3, 2019 7:03 PM

I really like the tenement museum LES , buy tix now for that time frame -great gift shop, stop by il labortorio de gelato (across from katz’ s ) for ice cream. If weather is nice stroll elizabeth/prince/lafayette east of broadway get a capuccino or a glass of wine and soak it in on a saturday or sunday afternoon.

Avoid broadway soho and 5th near rockefeller ctr at all costs on weekends.

by Anonymousreply 27November 3, 2019 7:17 PM

R25 Yes, I referred to that post at R17. I think that was pointless bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 28November 3, 2019 7:22 PM

If you will be in NYC the night before Thanksgiving, go across town to the UWS and watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons being inflated. It's a true New Yorker tradition.

by Anonymousreply 29November 3, 2019 7:24 PM

Take the A train to 190th st and visit Fort Tryon Park and The Cloisters. On the way back get off at 110th st and go visit Cathedral of St John the Divine..

by Anonymousreply 30November 3, 2019 7:28 PM

The Tenement Museum is FABULOUS. If you have to go to the new MOMA go on a weekday morning. The Whitney is fabulous.

It may not be to your liking, but the 21 Club is one of my all time favs. Trump loved it there, but Jimmy Fallon and (ironically) Alec Baldwin go frequently.

by Anonymousreply 31November 3, 2019 7:29 PM

R12 If by Photography Museum you mean the ICP, International Center for Photography, that closed at its current location and reopens in January 2020. There is an interesting exhibit with a lot of American Modern Art going on at the Jewish Museum. It’s a few streets away from the Guggenheim and free on Saturdays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 3, 2019 7:31 PM

R32--Thanks for the heads up on that closure.

by Anonymousreply 33November 3, 2019 7:41 PM

I'm glad no one is recommending the High Line/Hudson Yards. Stay away, OP. But if you go to the Whitney, it has great outside terrace views and a very nice bar.

I second the free Circle Line tour, and since you'll be on the UES, you might like Laduree, the French macaron store, on Madison between 70th and 71st.

by Anonymousreply 34November 3, 2019 8:03 PM

Longtime New Yorker here, but I wonder if the King Cole Bar in the St. Regis is worth it? Anyone? I've never been.

by Anonymousreply 35November 3, 2019 8:06 PM

Someone else said don't go, but if you've never been to the Stonewall, you should pop in and have a drink there, especially since it's the 50th anniversary and all. But if you've already been there, I guess you could skip it.

by Anonymousreply 36November 3, 2019 8:11 PM

Lusardi's for dinner on 2nd AV around 76th. Just explore Central Park. Morgan Library. MoMa. Take the 5th AV bus. Walk around the W. Village.

by Anonymousreply 37November 3, 2019 8:48 PM

I am a NYer since 1983 and there are suggestions here I will try, thanks Queens.

by Anonymousreply 38November 3, 2019 8:51 PM

R35 The mural by Maxfield Parish was restored a few years ago and a visit is worth the trip.

[quote]Parrish was asked to paint a scene from the children’s rhyme about Old King Cole (the merry old soul…you remember). John Jacob Astor, being probably the richest man in the world at the time, fancied himself king, and wanted Parrish to paint his face as King Cole’s. And that Parrish did…only with a subtle dig. If you look carefully at King Cole’s attendants, they are all smirking. It seems Parrish’s art world friends dared him to paint Old King Cole passing a royal fart…sitting upon his throne. And so he did, bringing an utterly déclassé act directly above the constant passing of New York’s Elite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 3, 2019 8:55 PM

R16 here - obviously I was joking about Peter Luger's

by Anonymousreply 40November 3, 2019 8:59 PM

R16, R40---Smarty pants!

by Anonymousreply 41November 3, 2019 9:07 PM

Call before going to dinner. More than once I've been greeted with "Closed For Private Party." Many are closed on Monday and places we think are open may be outta business.

by Anonymousreply 42November 3, 2019 9:36 PM

Call me a tourist, but I do love going to Joe Allen for an early dinner of steak tartare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 3, 2019 10:23 PM

This will lay out exactly what any visitor to NYC should do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 3, 2019 10:30 PM

R42---Good point! Nothing worse than going somewhere & finding out it is closed.

R44---Believe you me, when I found out I was going, the visage of Ann Marie holding her hat on while she cranes her neck looking up at the skyscrapers passed through my mind! The opening credits of That Girl were one of my first exposures to NYC. I'd love to retrace the steps of Ann Marie!

by Anonymousreply 45November 4, 2019 3:49 AM

[quote]That Girl were one of my first exposures to NYC. I'd love to retrace the steps of Ann Marie!

I watch the opening, if you go to all the standard tourist sights you will retrace the step of the opening.

by Anonymousreply 46November 4, 2019 10:30 AM

I found the Transit app to be fairly reliable, but you have to be careful and check the details on each suggested route it gives you. In the search result summary it is not always obvious that you need to change trains, for example. Google Maps can also do this, but I’ve had enough negative experiences with GM that I keep Transit my primary choice.

When I went to see the Height Of The Storm a couple of weeks ago, the buzz from people sitting around me was about The Inheritance, mentioned above, but I found out too late and really didn’t have a long enough visit to see both parts.

I’ve also done the free Staten ferry out and back immediately, and go past the SOL. Not as close as the statue cruise, obviously, but not an insane number of people, either, and it’s free.

Food - P.S. Kitchen worked for me as I was headed to a show after. Good veg options and mocktails. By CHLOE in SoHo was good for a vegan smoothie to tide me over while running around. Prune was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 47November 4, 2019 11:17 AM

My at-home gloryhole will be OPEN on Thanksgiving. It's discrete and I promise excellent service.

by Anonymousreply 48November 4, 2019 11:42 AM

You will be treated nicely, ignore those who say you won't. See as much theater as you can and visit the 9-11 Memorial for sure

by Anonymousreply 49November 4, 2019 11:42 AM

The Corner Bistro, 4th and Jane in the Village. Best Hamburger. Barney Stone.

by Anonymousreply 50November 4, 2019 11:47 AM

Go to NY Jacks and rub out some loads.

by Anonymousreply 51November 4, 2019 11:52 AM

For an offbeat neighborhood adventure, take the subway to historic Brooklyn Heights (R train to Court St, or 2/3 train to Clark Street). Roam around the beautiful brownstone blocks of America's first suburb, and take a walk along the Promenade for an incredible view of lower Manhattan and New York Harbor. Check out the bronze door medallions on Our Lady of Lebanon church on Remsen St (they were originally on the art deco liner NORMANDIE). Visit the Brooklyn Historical Society on Pierrepont Street - which is itself a very beautiful street to stroll along. Plenty of restaurants and cafes on Montague Street. If you're there on a weekend, book a luncheon at the fabulous River Cafe on the East River - but note they have a dress code. And if you're feeling ambitious, walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge -- just beware of big crowds and hellish bikers sharing one narrow boardwalk path.

by Anonymousreply 52November 4, 2019 1:07 PM

Be on the lookout for Denny and his rolling suitcase, OP.

by Anonymousreply 53November 4, 2019 2:30 PM

9/11 museum is very moving - go see it. Havard Yard, Times Square is a natch, Bryant Park and of course Central Park. Flushing Meadows is a short train ride - very beautiful and you can see all the remains of the World's Fair. Natural History Museum, Rock center, Macy's is a must.

If the late show is taping go see it, also pick a Broadway show. Dining you have about 1 million choices.

by Anonymousreply 54November 4, 2019 3:21 PM

Personally, unless you feel a deep need, I don't think the 9-11 Memorial is something you absolutely must see. Living it was enough for me. But it does look pretty in pictures.

by Anonymousreply 55November 4, 2019 4:03 PM

Likewise, going out to the boroughs. If you have extra time, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 56November 4, 2019 4:04 PM

Tenement Museum is interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 4, 2019 4:11 PM

To be honest, I probably won't go to the 9-11 memorial (not into it) or to any of the boroughs other than walking across Brooklyn Bridge. There's just too much to do in Manhattan in the time I have...will have to come back to expand my range. Gonna have to delete some stuff off my shitty phone to add apps I need for NYC.

by Anonymousreply 58November 4, 2019 4:27 PM

Absolutely DO NOT go to the 9/11 death museum. It's hideous and the 9/11 widows make you exit through the gift shop. Beyond awful and the "monument" is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 59November 4, 2019 7:39 PM

OP do you have a basic itinerary of things you want to see and do?

by Anonymousreply 60November 4, 2019 9:00 PM

R60---I'm developing my itinerary, so that's why I've asked for suggestions. I am there Nov 21--30, and those are the two travel days, so they're shot, pretty much, leaving the 22nd-- 29th to do stuff. I bought a 5 day New York Pass which gives entry to almost all the museums, access to observation decks at Rockefeller & Empire State building, bike rentals, lots of tours etc. So my plan is to use the pass Fri/22--Wed/26, then do 'free' stuff like check out Central Park on Thanksgiving, maybe go to Great Jones Spa for a few hours on Friday to chill out.

When I have the pass to use, I want to try to hit one museum a day, first thing then explore various areas that may not be nearby. I am going to try to plot everything I want to see each day on this personalized google map app I hope to figure out, then I can kind of zig and zag from one thing to another. I want to eat a lot of food along the way and take a lot of photos.

by Anonymousreply 61November 5, 2019 7:05 AM

Don't miss Man's Country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 5, 2019 7:13 AM

If you have to do Empire State get the scheduled tix ahead of time so you won’t stay in the hours long line. It can really kill your plans for the rest of the day.

Check for planned weekend changes on the subways a couple of days before if a line will be down for maintenance

by Anonymousreply 63November 5, 2019 10:57 AM

There is a hole in the wall vegan restaurant on 7th called V life with the best fake chicken (seitan) sandwich I've ever had. I get it with baby greens, sauteed mushrooms and buffalo sauce and it is orgasmic. They also have truly vegan bubble tea to wash it down with. Imo, Ribalta mo at the Pennsy (at Madison Sq. Garden) has the best vegan pizza in the city. I get it with mushrooms and then arugula sprinkled on top after it comes out of the oven. The donut place next door - the cinnamon snail - is also vegan. Very very good donuts.

by Anonymousreply 64November 5, 2019 12:30 PM

Assuming, r64, OP is a vegan or likes vegan food.

by Anonymousreply 65November 5, 2019 12:34 PM

R64 & R65--I eat seafood but mostly vegetarian, so vegan options are appreciated. I bet some actual vegans are reading this thread, too.

by Anonymousreply 66November 5, 2019 5:20 PM

[quote]maybe go to Great Jones Spa for a few hours on Friday to chill out.

OP are you a lez?

by Anonymousreply 67November 5, 2019 6:08 PM

The best counter service Mexican is at Blue Maiz across from port authority, of all places. Authentic and reasonably priced.

by Anonymousreply 68November 5, 2019 7:15 PM

[quote]Absolutely DO NOT go to the 9/11 death museum. It's hideous and the 9/11 widows make you exit through the gift shop.

OTOH, a packaged mix of Let's Roll Cinnamon Rolls with Lisa Beamer's picture on it makes a wonderful souvenir.

by Anonymousreply 69November 5, 2019 11:42 PM

Thanks, everyone, you are the best! I have plugged most of these suggestions into my personal Google map. Working on Central Park now. Really going to have to prioritize, I have so many more options than I will have time to see and do.

MWAH! Cheers, darlings!

by Anonymousreply 70November 6, 2019 5:54 PM

We’ll expect a trip report when you return OP

by Anonymousreply 71November 6, 2019 8:29 PM

R71 Will do. Hope the thread is still accessible by then!

Anyone who cares to leave additional suggestions is appreciated!

by Anonymousreply 72November 7, 2019 12:01 AM

OP you might want to reconsider if any of these are on your list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 7, 2019 2:56 AM

—OP---giddy with excitement, worried about cold weather and my bumpkin clothes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 7, 2019 3:20 AM

R74---Hahahaha--- as if anyone would call Mr Overalls Haystem a bumpkin!

by Anonymousreply 75November 7, 2019 5:50 AM

For quick, cheap and delicious vegetarian, I highly recommend Taim. It started as a falafel joint in Greenwich Village and has expanded to four or five storefronts throughout the city and a foodtruck. Limited seating/counter space, but you can usually find a spot to scarf down a quick bite.

Blossom is another good vegetarian/vegan restaurant. The original is in Chelsea, they recently opened a new one on the UWS on Columbus. Haven't been to that one but it looks pretty nice.

I'm not a vegetarian but really love the food at both Taim and Blossom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 7, 2019 3:32 PM

If you are in chinatown I like Shanghai cafe at 100 Mott street for crab and pork soup dumplings! It’s low key, cheap, clean and not frenetic like some of the big dim sum places.

by Anonymousreply 77November 7, 2019 4:05 PM

OP, you sound like someone I'd like to travel with. I appreciate a well-thought out and planned trip to maximize every minute but still allow for flexibility and spontaneity. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 78November 7, 2019 4:27 PM

OP, R78 wants to suck your cock

by Anonymousreply 79November 7, 2019 6:53 PM

R79 If you don't like to suck cock, you're on the wrong website. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 80November 7, 2019 9:35 PM

Be sure to wear stilettos in case you run into a preacher on the subway.

by Anonymousreply 81November 7, 2019 9:52 PM

And don't get lippy with the police!

by Anonymousreply 82November 7, 2019 9:54 PM

R78---That's a sweet thing to say, thanks. I expect pointless bitchery at all times here. What a pleasant surprise!

by Anonymousreply 83November 8, 2019 1:42 AM

And please resist the horse drawn carriages in Central Park, we’re still trying to get them eliminated.

by Anonymousreply 84November 8, 2019 1:46 AM

R84---I would never, so cheesy.

by Anonymousreply 85November 8, 2019 2:25 AM

R81--I had to look this up to see what you were on about. I am no fan of preachers, they should definitely STFU, but that was brutal!

by Anonymousreply 86November 9, 2019 12:25 AM

Ignore anyone on the subway asking for money. They're professional beggars who change their sob story every day. There used to be signs in the trains with something like "Give to Charity, but not here. Soliciting for on the subway is illegal."

by Anonymousreply 87November 9, 2019 12:33 AM

Have to post this one tip. The Radio City Christmas Spectacular is the best ticket in town that time of year - tickets are relatively cheap, it will put you in the holiday mood, and it is the gayest fucking thing in the entire city.... don’t miss it

by Anonymousreply 88November 9, 2019 1:00 AM

I recommend Bryant Park for the temporary holiday shops, food stalls, skating rink, resting, people-watching.

Before going to museums, remember to download their apps ahead of time, bring your headphones, and take advantage of any audio descriptions they might have.

For the Met museum, I get there about 10 minutes before opening time and enter through the left-side 81st entrance, at ground level (not the main entrance up the stairs). There are kiosks after bag inspection and coat check where you can print your ticket/sticker. (I assume you have to do that, even with your city pass) If there is a special exhibit that you want to see, go there FIRST. I was so glad I did that for “Camp” back in May, because when I found myself in that area again around 1pm, there was a line, and it was intolerably long. It wound around through so many hallways I couldn’t say, and when I found the end of it, it was still growing! No line at all when I went into the exhibit around 10:15.

UES breakfast before The Met - I liked Irving Farm at 3rd and 81st. Good people-watching at the window seating. Walk right up 81st to that Met entrance.

My travels have improved after getting a collapsible water bottle like the one at the link, and a solar charger for my phone. No need to buy water, endure a dehydration headache, or find a working outlet at a coffee shop. Take advantage of any opportunity to refill that bottle, though.

UES veg restaurant I still haven’t made it to - Candle 79. Any opinions out there?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 11, 2019 1:47 PM

Magnolia Bakery - get the Banana Pudding. There is one in penn station -

by Anonymousreply 90November 11, 2019 1:53 PM

Please, everyone from out of town come whenever you like and do everything you can to drive insufferable New Yorkers fucking crazy.

Compared to some of the jerks in this city, I'm happy to have tourists here. Enjoy yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 91November 11, 2019 2:29 PM

R91, you sound like an insufferable New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 92November 11, 2019 3:10 PM

Thanks, R89--- OP, here, can't seem to post if "sign" it. Those are great tips, especially about the Met and nearby restaurants. My plan for the museums was to go there first thing when they open, I know it can only get worse as the day goes on. I just bought a really boss for travel pocket sized fold out backpack/bag that I can carry with me and load purchases into as I go along. I went far into future weather forecasts for the week I am there and it appears that anything can happen anytime, weather-wise. I am going to have all my coat options ready and select accordingly closer to departure time. Luckily it SEEMS like the terrible cold snap will be over by then. Even though I washed and fluffed it with tennis balls, I am hoping to not need my puffy down jacket, maybe just a trench coat and my wool pea coat and some sweaters for layering. I will be out and about mostly in daytime due to evening work commitments.

R91---Cheers, sweetie. I think you have a sparkling personality. Ignore #92

by Anonymousreply 93November 11, 2019 3:31 PM

What are some good pre-theater restaurants?

by Anonymousreply 94November 12, 2019 3:31 PM

Marseille and becco are solid for pre-theater meals.

by Anonymousreply 95November 12, 2019 8:59 PM

I have a question...I've lived in SF for 30+ years...will I be shocked by NYC prices (food, transportation, retail?) or is it pretty equal. I feel like I am hosed by hight prices every day. Can it possibly be worse?

by Anonymousreply 96November 14, 2019 11:45 PM

Hate me for saying this but if you'll be there for 8 days, get out of Manhattan. After you go to the Metropolitan Museum, the Guggenheim, and MoMa , etc.etc., etc. go to Brooklyn for some good food and see what's happening at St. Ann's Warehouse theatre. Go to Arthur Avenue in the Belmont neighborhood in the Bronx for a real authentic flavor of a real Little Italy experience, because Little Italy in Manhattan no longer exists. It's fake and touristy.

Make sure you stop at The Strand. It's the best independent book store in the world and a legend. In fact you need to take a walking tour of the places of note in NYC Lower Manhattan is interesting! I second a visit to St. John the Divine cathedral. (Episcopal.)

by Anonymousreply 97November 15, 2019 12:04 AM

No - prices in NY are equal or less than SF. At least there are always intermediate alternatives in NYC. Just don’t bother eating at nice restaurants - you can do that in SF. Go for NY atmosphere like Julius burger - or the 9th Ave Hell’s Kitchen places.

by Anonymousreply 98November 15, 2019 4:41 AM

If you end up going to the theater, you have to eat here. Tout Va Bien was one of the first restaurants I ate in when I moved here in 1978 and I was there 6 months ago when my ex was in town from L.A. It was wonderful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 15, 2019 5:20 AM

Of course you should eat at nice restaurants. I assume R98 means expensive restaurants. There are plenty of excellent and affordable places to eat in NYC. And while you can go to the other boroughs, I would limit the amount of time spent doing that.

by Anonymousreply 100November 15, 2019 12:23 PM

One reason I suggested going to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx, or going over to Brooklyn, is because you can find good food, nice restaurants and not very expensive. Although I did find some nice neighborhood spots on the UES and the UWS. If you go to the commercial midtown locations you will either get franchises or commercial crap. But going to the neighborhoods, the predominantly residential areas, you'll find good spots.

by Anonymousreply 101November 15, 2019 1:20 PM

If you could see my google map of stuff to do, you'd see I need all my days to cover Manhattan. I started off planning to go spend time in Brooklyn and even wanted to go to Jamaica, Queens. This is partly a work trip so I had to pare down my expectations and itinerary based on time constraints on a daily basis. I will come back sometime and venture further into the boroughs. I'm definitely planning to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for the views and photos. Planning on eating good food, but not at fancy places or chains. I have more food options marked than I could possibly stuff in my pie hole. Link below is to literary quotes about different areas of Manhattan. I was super excited to see plenty of James Baldwin and children's author EL Konigsburg...heart shaped googly eyes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102November 15, 2019 1:44 PM

^^^That was supposed to say: I was super excited to see plenty of QUOTES FROM James Baldwin and children's author EL Konigsburg...heart shaped googly eyes!

by Anonymousreply 103November 15, 2019 1:46 PM

Please dont haul ass to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx - no need to go out that far for italian food! E.village /W. village have plenty of options if you eant to avoid midtown dining.

by Anonymousreply 104November 15, 2019 6:41 PM

Absolutely what R104 said. Traveling for Italian food? There's very little worth traveling to the outer boroughs for, unless you have more than a week in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 105November 15, 2019 7:55 PM

Traveling to a borough will take at best an hour round trip. Sometimes it can be that long to go one way.

by Anonymousreply 106November 15, 2019 7:56 PM

R104---Roger that!

by Anonymousreply 107November 15, 2019 8:00 PM

Another vote for The Cloisters. Guggenheim Museum is also a must see. I recommend walking down 5th Avenue the morning after Thanksgiving, people out shopping. It will feel like act 2 of La Boheme..

by Anonymousreply 108November 15, 2019 8:23 PM

OP Go out and look at the store windows at night after Thanksgiving. They always do fabulous Christmas displays, and there's music playing and laser light shows timed with it. It's fun .

by Anonymousreply 109November 16, 2019 4:23 AM

That is, if you can find many store windows left. There's only Macy's, Bloomingdale's and Saks left. Lord and Taylor had the best windows but it closed.

by Anonymousreply 110November 16, 2019 3:51 PM

The Cloisters is beautiful, but it's a trek to get there, all the way uptown, and then a bit of a walk. If you love medieval art, definitely go. Otherwise you can see the medieval wing at the Met.

by Anonymousreply 111November 16, 2019 3:52 PM

Yeah, I'd skip the Cloisters. And I'd go to Brooklyn. I know some have argued against it, but go.

by Anonymousreply 112November 16, 2019 4:10 PM

OP if you like pizza look for the $1 pizza places some of them have great pizza. There is a $1 pizza place on 6th avenue in Greenwich Village near the entrance to the West 4th Street subway station that has a 5 star rating on Yelp. I always stop there for a slice if I'm in the area.

by Anonymousreply 113November 18, 2019 10:21 AM

I believe that particular pizza place has closed, R113.

by Anonymousreply 114November 18, 2019 11:54 AM

Magnolia Bakery. It's an experience you won't find anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 115November 18, 2019 12:00 PM

Sorry to have to disagree, but Magnolia, like many things, is overrated due to those Sex and the City hoes. There's always a line. If you think it's worth it to wait in line for overfrosted, oversweetened cupcakes, go for it. If you do go I would skip those and get the nilla wafer banana pudding, which is superior (if you like that sort of thing).

by Anonymousreply 116November 18, 2019 12:11 PM

R114 I had a slice yesterday they're open.

by Anonymousreply 117November 18, 2019 2:25 PM

Magnolia’s banana pudding tastes like uncooked flour-y pudding save yourself $7 and skip it!

by Anonymousreply 118November 18, 2019 5:47 PM

No. Forget Magnolia. It's time has come and gone. Instead find Jacques Torres for chocolate. OMG. The one in SoHo is his "factory." You can see them making the candies and croissants, etc. right there in front of you. Well...through a glass. So cool. and then there's his original place in DUMBO in Brooklyn. There's acool flea market in DUMBO on the weekend too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 19, 2019 1:42 AM

Gaaaahhh! Leaving tomorrow morning! SO excited! Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'm hoping it's not too cold, bringing layers and taking my chances.

by Anonymousreply 120November 20, 2019 10:15 PM

Safe flight buddy, enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 121November 20, 2019 10:36 PM

Have a fucking blast OP!

by Anonymousreply 122November 21, 2019 1:25 AM

Eat a hot dog and choke

by Anonymousreply 123November 21, 2019 1:34 AM

[quote]The Theater, darling. They’ll be closed for several days while you’re there but you’ll get to see Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. You can see the Rockettes Christmas show at Rockefeller Plaza and go ice skating.

What will be closed for few days, theaters? No, some shows might be dark Thursday but they will schedule a extra matinee to make up for it and fulfill the eight shows a week and movie theaters don't close at all.

by Anonymousreply 124November 21, 2019 1:38 AM

Oh, dear--R123 needs a Midol STAT!

by Anonymousreply 125November 21, 2019 1:40 AM

R124 is right--all theaters (including Broadway shows) are open, except for the holiday itself, and yes, more shows are added around the holiday weekend.

by Anonymousreply 126November 21, 2019 1:42 AM

Your welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 21, 2019 2:27 AM

Pray for the Polar Vortex to descend, with all the associated fun in the snow.

by Anonymousreply 128November 21, 2019 2:35 AM

Many pooh-poohed the Highline, but I thought I would post this new video. The YouTube does many other NYC themed ones also.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 21, 2019 3:22 AM

"Your welcome."

Oh, dear, R127.

by Anonymousreply 130November 21, 2019 3:32 AM

If a Buddhist monk walks towards you on the highline avoid at all costs and do not take whatever prayer bullshit they try to foist on you. They will try to shake you down for $$

by Anonymousreply 131November 21, 2019 11:18 AM

You lucked out weatherwise, OP. It's supposed to be in the 40s and 50s the rest of this week through next.

by Anonymousreply 132November 21, 2019 5:15 PM

r131 : They are not Buddhist monks at all but charlatans posing as monks, trying to grift people.

by Anonymousreply 133November 22, 2019 4:38 PM

Op are you back from your trip?

by Anonymousreply 134November 30, 2019 10:21 AM

I went to the Frick Friday and a fabulous gay couple harassed me out by the garden Going inside and thought they might be you OP.

by Anonymousreply 135November 30, 2019 2:19 PM

R135, you thought one person was a fabulous gay couple? OP made it clear he was traveling by himself.

by Anonymousreply 136December 1, 2019 2:47 AM

Shirley you know the weather has turned to shit, and OP may have been stranded?

by Anonymousreply 137December 2, 2019 12:08 AM

I am back and working on a trip report! Had a wonderful time! Will post soon!

by Anonymousreply 138December 2, 2019 6:30 PM

So what were the highlights OP? Surprises? Disappointments?

by Anonymousreply 139December 4, 2019 2:49 PM

Hi Everyone, it's me, OP, back in SF. We flew out Saturday/30th afternoon, plane was supposed to leave JFK 3:30 ish but was delayed 4 hours in terminal and one more hour on the runway, pretty much doubling the return trip time. The problem was a windy storm in SF, so we departed in the 8 PM region and got in 1-1:30 am-ish. Won't bore you with details of whining and/or screaming children and crying babies. I feel lucky we made it out before snow started dumping. Glad for reasons of clothing (I was not prepared for snowy weather) and for work-related reasons, such as enough already, time for this job to be over.

My trip report in pieces:

Fri/22-- Rainy---Walked from E 82nd to 59th St station on Park Ave and got a 7 day Metro Pass. Went over to Central Park and wandered as far North as the Ramble. Took pictures of the skating rink and skylines, fall leaves and drizzly sky, lakes, statues etc. Came back out at the northern exit near the lake boathouse thing. Wandered 5th, Lexington, Madison Ave stores, went into Bloomingdales and Barney's to poke around briefly. Had afternoon tea at Alice's Tea Cup as per R9's suggestion. Quirky little place with really nice scones and tea sandwiches. Wandered some more looking in windows, etc. Looked up "dive bars UES" and ended up at a place called The Penrose on 2nd Ave. It wasn't fancy but it wasn't a dive at all. I had my first Manhattan and got the only printed matchbooks of my trip. It was pretty crowded and I wanted to get back early so I had just the one drink.

Sat/23---Walked to Guggenheim Museum soon after opening. Not too crowded, loved the architecture of the building, photo exhibits, paintings, etc, bought a photo book and postcards. Took an M-1 bus South passing many spots I walked by the day before. Joined a bunch of women flipping off Trump Tower as we passed it. Wandered a bit in SOHO and wanted to make my way to Greenwich Village to check out some bookstores and then go to Julius' Bar for a drink. Well! There started an episode of poor orientation, bad transit advice and an accidental trip on the train over to Brooklyn on a rickety bridge! Waited for a return train and made my way to Julius' Bar in an absolute frazzle! Got there around 3 pm and the doorman Jackson (who gave me a nickname right away) and bartender, Joe, were so nice. I sat in the corner charging my dead phone (story of this trip) and had a Manhattan. Chatted with some people a little way down about Linda Ronstadt and the teen novel "Go Ask Alice." Then a guy came and squeezed into the open seat beside me. We started chatting and kept at it for about 3 hours! Went out side to smoke some weed, decided we liked each other and would get together again while I was in town. (Biggest surprise of the trip, I never imagined making a real friend in NYC.) The guy, M, said he had a charger case he could give me that would fit/work with my outdated Iphone 5. Life changing! When I left, I stopped by a falafel place someone recommended called Istanbul Grill and got a nice sandwich with fresh falafel.

by Anonymousreply 140December 10, 2019 12:22 PM

Sun/24---Rainy day, left the house soooo late. Went to try the Met and it was a madhouse, so crowded and hot, I decided to come back another day. Hopped on a bus and went to Grand Central Station and took some photos. Forgot that the Oyster Bar was closed on Sunday. Passed the damn Chrysler Building without realizing it. Went to Empire State building Observation Deck. Blustery and very windy but amazing views (wanted to go there since childhood). Bad weather made it not so crowded. Went to MoMA next, fairly crowded but not the nightmare the Met was. As I entered one gallery, I saw a piece I immediately recognized as being a Niki de St Phalle shooting painting, which I had always wanted to see. (Link below) I went directly to it and enjoyed it alone, tried taking some photos but I don't believe they came out well. From the MoMA, walked to a restaurant/bar called Dutch Fred's that someone (not here) recommended. Had eggplant crisps and crab cakes and a Manhattan. Dutch Fred says, "You have the right to STFU." Walked from there to try to find Junior's Cheesecake/Diner to have a slice of cheesecake in memory of my friend, Doris, from Brooklyn, who always said Junior's was so good. Wandered in idiotic circles in Times Square with the nightmare hordes and never found the place.

Mon/25---Late start again. Went in a roundabout way to the ferry stops down on the tip of Manhattan and subjected myself to the crazed process of security checks and waiting for the boat that goes to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I think I have made it clear that I don't love crowds. This was one of the worst experiences, wide swathes of oblivious people funneling into a building where we had to pass through metal detectors and put all our belongings through x-ray machines. It was a real tedious Ellis Island type experience and I was expecting a TB test and a new last name to be issued to me when I finished. I sat outside, up front on the boat and got lots of nice shots of the SoL. I wanted to get off and walk around, but when I saw the horde waiting to get back on the boat, I just stayed on. Since I was a kid, I wanted to go inside the SoL but since one can't go into the torch anymore, I decided I was okay with not getting any closer. I stayed on the boat at the Ellis Island stop, too. My phone was dying by the time I got off, but I was able to remember how to get to Julius' where I was meeting someone I know from the internets, B, in person for the first time, as well as meeting up with my new friend, M, who was bringing me the charger case for my phone (just in time!) I had a grilled cheese with tomato and dijon mustard on rye bread and an order of fries, which are so good at Julius' because they are made of FRESHLY SLICED POTATOES. <-- all caps to indicate typing fat. B and I went to check out a couple other bars, leaving M to his regular pals at Julius'. We stopped in at Stonewall Inn, which was larger, a "destination," and had a younger crowd. I only wanted one more drink so we didn't stay because happy hour there is 2 for 1. Instead we went across the street to a place called Monster/s? Someone was playing piano while unrelated videos were on tee vee, handsome muscled, tattooed Spanish speaking bartenders. Saw a Divine stencil spray painted on a wall while walking to the subway, looked like the work of an artist I see around SF a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141December 10, 2019 12:23 PM

Tues/26---Another late start day. Went by the Chrysler building and took pictures for my friend at home. Went to Grand Central Oyster Bar and had some very cold water oysters and my first lobster roll (I thought I should try it on the east coast.) I ate in The Saloon even though I loved the weird white counters outside, the main room was so large and loud, I preferred the woody clubby back bar area better. Food was good, bartenders were kinda surly but I like that. Went to the NY Public Library next and wandered around. Next, I passed St Patrick's Cathedral (Silence = Death!) as I made my way to Rockefeller Center, with the idea of going to the Observation Deck. I know it is better to get everywhere early but it was not in the cards. Spent an interminable amount of time in line to find out I could not go on the Observation Deck until 6:30 or later, and I was meeting M at 6:30, so I took a ticket for Friday afternoon. Wandered around and bought some chocolate for some kids, saw the ice rink and the scaffolded Xmas tree. Made my way to the Boiler Room where I was meeting M. It was a huge relief to walk in there, quiet and mellow, nice people to chat with while I waited. Ordered my usual Manhattan and when some guy asked, I explained I was drinking only Manhattans in Manhattan. He asked if I drank Suburbans in suburbia, and I said I just drink a LOT in suburbia. Didn't know a Suburban is an actual beverage. It sounds good based on ingredients and I am going to order one of these soon. M showed up and we chatted with others, had a smoke outside and he eventually walked me to the subway. On the way he pointed out the houses that were on the Physical Graffiti (Led Zeppelin) album cover and I took a couple pics. I would have never known they were there if they'd not been pointed out to me.

Wed/27---Got out the door early, stopped at H&H bagels for a lox sandwich and got to the Met just after it opened. I came in the lower level entrance and mentioned the book "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler" that I'd just finished reading with some kids I know. The woman at the desk (Lauren) asked if I was interested in seeing the things mentioned in the book. I said yes, and she marked my museum map with all the relevant sites: Egyptian cat, tomb, sarcophagus, fountain with money, beds, etc. I made a scavenger hunt of it and took pictures of the items to show the kids. Amazing museum, would love to go back and spend more time. Left my phone in a stupid place but realized it and hustled back & it was still there. After the Met, went to Milano Market and bought some deli items for Thanksgiving the next day: eggplant parm, spicy grilled shrimp and steamed asparagus. They even had rainbow cookies, which I wanted to get in Little Italy, but so far it hadn't worked out. Milano's were amazing! Then I decided to fuck my day up but good. For whatever reason I thought it would be cool to check out the Macy's parade balloons inflation place. I sat down on the benches outside the Museum of Natural History and nearly lost my glasses in a pile of leaves! Luckily I found them, no loss of major items on the whole trip. I had no idea what a tedious shuffle in maze of street with a crowd it was going to be. I slogged along one long, miserable block, then got around the corner and saw that the insane mob shuffle went on for blocks and blocks more with no end in sight, and I hooked a desperate right through the first opening in the barriers I saw. Came out on Columbus Ave and wandered a bit. Decided to hop a bus and get a slice of pizza at a particular place. Ended up turned around and fed up after a while, got off the bus and there was a place called City Pizza right in front of me. Went in and they had so many vegetarian options that looked really tasty. I chose a slice of spinach and ricotta and it was delicious. When I got back to UES, I stopped in one of those foot massage places on 2nd Ave (Best Chinese Bodywork) for a 30 minute foot massage that gave me new life for walking!

by Anonymousreply 142December 10, 2019 12:24 PM

Thurs/28--Caught the ferry at E 90th St terminal, short walk up along the river from where I was staying. For $2.75, the ferry takes you on the most amazing tour all the way down the East River, alongside the city, past all the major buildings and the overall cityscape to the Wall Street Ferry Terminal. It was incredible, the best kept secret in the city, best value in NYC and best $2.75 I ever spent. From the Wall Street Terminal I walked to the Brooklyn Bridge and walked across, taking a zillion pictures. When I got to the Brooklyn side, there was a market open where I got a coffee and used the toilet, then I caught a subway train that went directly to the stop closest to Julius' Bar. I got there around 2 something and it was not crowded at all. Got my corner seat by the outlet and started charging my phone. When I bought a drink, I was given a ticket for free Thanksgiving dinner. I had no idea! Chatted with random people near me, had some drinks and dinner was on at 4 PM. Everyone was festive and nice, chatted with dapper elder gays and a real stylish NYC broad who reminded me slightly of Elaine Stritch. Dinner was really good, not half assed and the regular grill guy (forget his name) made everything himself. I don't eat ham or turkey (they had both) but there were plenty of sides including vegetarian dressing and I enjoyed it all.

Fri/29th---Last day in town. I had a 4 pm appointment for a deep tissue massage at Great Jones Spa. Stopped in the juice shop first and got a $12 fresh juice: Pineapple, apple, ginger and carrot, which I mixed with some rum from my flask. Steamed and soaked and lounged for a couple hours till it was time to see Fernando. He was small, but mighty and he wrung me out and mashed me up in the best way. He worked all my hideous tendons that are always in a nasty feeling tangle around my shoulders, elbows and wrists. He really listened to what I wanted and concentrated on it. Felt great afterwards. As usual, my phone was dying and for some reason I couldn't catch a charge from the case thing. Eventually everything worked out and I met up with M at a garish little bar called Pieces. Charged my phone, had a couple drinks then went home to pack for the next day.

Low points included: my hatred of crowds while immersed in the hordes, google maps and their shitty directions and how long it took me to get from point A to B because of getting mixed up and turned around. My sense of direction was consistently off and I went the opposite way so many times. I knew before I went that I had way more things to see and places to eat than I would ever get to; especially bummed that I never made it to Mood Fabrics for some high class buttons and trim for Mardi Gras costuming.

My highlights were many: making friends and hanging out, the river ferry to the tip of Manhattan, Brooklyn Bridge and surprise Thanksgiving at Julius', all the museums, but especially seeing the Niki de St Phalle artwork, people who were so nice (including the Met scavenger hunt woman, a really small guy on the street who tried to catch me when I turned my ankle and sort of tripped, and another guy who tutored me on the subway and made sure I switched to the correct train) people who gave me unexpected compliments, the woman at Julius' in her red coat and snap collared red print shirt, good food, nice bars, seeing things I wanted to see since childhood, the drizzly day in Central Park, finding things I dropped before they were truly lost, not overspending, having adequate layers for the weather and feeling comfortable, minimal blisters, excellent massages, feeling safe everywhere I went, taking photos of favorite things: street clocks, old neon signs, tile work, street art/graffiti, one sign that still featured a BUtterfield 8 phone number...I really had an excellent time. Still texting daily with M and occasionally with B.

Thanks again to everyone who gave suggestions and expressed interest in my trip results.

TL;DR: Manhattan was marvelous!

by Anonymousreply 143December 10, 2019 12:25 PM

[quote]Julius' Bar

[quote]Julius' Bar

[quote]Julius' Bar

Just say "Julius'".

by Anonymousreply 144December 10, 2019 1:29 PM

Good for you, OP! You're a man after my own heart. You really made a go of it and you did what I do when I travel--push yourself and try to see everything. It sounds like you really did. Yeah, the shitty issues with the subways and the confusing nature of route changes can really do a number on one's mood, and of course it was bound to be a nightmare of tourists over Thanksgiving week, but I commend you.

And I'm glad you found a favorite watering hole with Julius. You enjoyed yourself and that's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 145December 10, 2019 1:57 PM

R144---Too late now, sourpuss!

by Anonymousreply 146December 10, 2019 2:22 PM

Forgot this part about the MoMA, may cross post on the Wonder Woman thread...There was this Wonder Woman video featuring Beloved Lynda Carter playing Diana Prince and Wonder Woman, with lots of spinning looped and repeated, lots of bullets bouncing off bracelets and other Wonder Woman action spliced together. I love me some Wonder Woman, but it was really strange seeing this in a big museum in NYC. I guess the artist compiled the clips long ago, but today youtube is full of super mix mash ups of Wonder Woman doing her thing similar to this exhibit. Haha. Art/Crap for Mass Consumption. What the what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147December 10, 2019 2:35 PM

Sock it to you OP? What are you posting from 1967?

by Anonymousreply 148December 10, 2019 2:49 PM

Julius’ rocks. The last place to actually meet people of all types without the social fear that animates most gay bars. A great place for conversation. Millennials don’t have to fear being hit on for a pick up - people are just looking for conversation. I’ve noticed more millennials being open to it - which is a good antidote to the anti-social training they r dived to the past 2 decades. Conversation is back.

by Anonymousreply 149December 10, 2019 2:51 PM

I am super jealous of the Met scavenger hunt, i will ask for them to mark my map next visit. Glad you had fun OP!

by Anonymousreply 150December 10, 2019 2:52 PM

Thanks for sharing your travel notes - I'll try the East River ferry next time! Your walking in circles then failing to find the place, missing the fact that you walked past the Chrysler building, and sometimes going in the opposite direction reminds me of my own trips to NYC, and I have an otherwise good sense of direction. I think it's the tall buildings constantly overwhelming my senses.

by Anonymousreply 151December 11, 2019 11:31 AM

Thanks for actually giving an update. So many people start threads here and don't follow through.

by Anonymousreply 152December 11, 2019 11:58 AM

Hey, R152---Happy to report, it made me keep track of the things I did and saw. Forgot certain details above but I have remembered since...

by Anonymousreply 153December 17, 2019 3:10 PM

Skip the celebrity chef restaurants. Daniel Boloud's was dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 154December 19, 2019 2:14 PM

I only ate at the one in DC, r154, and only once, but I liked what I had, bruschetta and fish.

by Anonymousreply 155December 19, 2019 2:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!