Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fun and actual old Royal gossip from the diary of Kenneth Rose

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2019 3:36 AM

One thing I hope we see more of in future seasons of The Crown is Diana's relationship with her sisters. She fought with them all the time, but on the other hand she could also be extremely loyal to them. They were much more an important ongoing factor in her life than I think people realize. They were the ones who persuaded her to stick with the wedding when she wanted to pull out after she realized Charles was still seeing Camilla, and they also went with Charles to Paris to identify her body when she died.

by Anonymousreply 1November 2, 2019 1:13 AM

[quote] Prince Charles would love to live in Marlborough House. ‘I grit my teeth with rage whenever I go to some Commonwealth event there. But what can one do? Once the people get inside a building, it is impossible to throw them out.’

How he suffered!

by Anonymousreply 2November 2, 2019 1:16 AM

These people have always been low class sluts with money and yet the morons on here and elsewhere think that Meghan woman is the one who brings down these trashy people. Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 3November 2, 2019 1:17 AM

Some of them are low class sluts, but:

a) Most of them know how to dress appropriately for occasions, in clothing that is the right size and suits their bodies. Even those that are disasters, such as Beatrice and Eugenia, don’t look like they just rolled out of bed and put on the least soiled clothing in a pile of dirty laundry they found in the floor; and

b) They don’t bitch about how tough their lives are jetting around the world doing largely meaningless work, with servants to tend to their every need.

by Anonymousreply 4November 2, 2019 1:27 AM

^Eugenie

by Anonymousreply 5November 2, 2019 1:27 AM

Yet again, every thread has to become all about Meghan.

Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 6November 2, 2019 1:28 AM

OP, how did you get an early copy? The post 1979 volume won't be released in the UK until later this month, and it's not even sc heduled to come out in the US that I know of.

by Anonymousreply 7November 2, 2019 1:42 AM

Thanks for the link, OP. That was some juicy gossip. I wonder if Camilla has mellowed Charles.

by Anonymousreply 8November 2, 2019 1:51 AM

Sh-Jew-Uled.

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2019 2:02 AM

R7: Daily Mail has it (who else? LOL.). Follow the link. I read the first volume... didn't know this was coming.... it's interesting stuff, mostly for how the Establishment interacts.

by Anonymousreply 10November 2, 2019 2:14 AM

[quote] Prince Charles would love to live in Marlborough House. ‘I grit my teeth with rage whenever I go to some Commonwealth event there. But what can one do? Once the people get inside a building, it is impossible to throw them out.’

When George VI died, Queen Mary was still alive and inhabiting Marlborough House. So, it seemed logical that Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother should move into Clarence House where the Queen and Prince Philip had been living. Queen Mary died the following year and Queen Elizabeth made it known she wanted to live in Marlborough House which was much grander and three times larger than Clarence House. She was told that as Clarence House had already been refurbished for her at great expense, she would have to live there rather than Marlborough House. Just in case the Queen gave in to her mother's frequent demands to be allowed to move into MH, the government suggested the Queen donate Marlborough House to the Commonwealth. For decades after, the Queen Mother was still complaining about "that pokey little Clarence House".

by Anonymousreply 11November 2, 2019 2:14 AM

I guess this puts paid to the notion - which some around here cling to quite fiercely - that come the day he gets the big chair, Charles will stay put at Clarence House and use Buckingham Palace as an office.

Bitch wants the lot - including a slimmed down monarchy. Just not for him.

by Anonymousreply 12November 2, 2019 2:26 AM

[quote] ...he wrote that he had been reading a book about a Mountbatten [Lord Mountbatten’s wife, notorious for having had many lovers including, allegedly, Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India]...

Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother detested a Mountbatten. When a died, she was buried at sea as per her wishes. When the subject came up, the Queen Mother said in front of a group of guests, "Dear a. She always did love to make a bit of a splash."

by Anonymousreply 13November 2, 2019 3:24 AM

The excerpts from Kenneth Rose's book in the linked article are so interesting. I'd read the first volume of Rose's diaries (which are very interesting, btw, if you have seen "The Crown": they cover many of the events from the series but from his own angle). He is often very critical of the royal family, though he is close with Prince Edward, the Duke of Kent, and likes the Queen Mother and the Duke of Wiundsor. The queen is too diustant to be areal figure in his story.

So it's interesting how much he disliked both Prince Charles and Princess Diana, and this is also the first time I've ever read that prince William was once a spoiled a brat when he was parents were separated. It is weird to see how upset Rose as a member of the establishment was when the British populace mourned so much when Diana died, and how furious he and Princess Margaret and the Duke of Kent were at the possibility of a memorial garden being raised to her on the grounds of Kensington Palace since they disliked her so. Their relief is almost palpable when plans are scrapped. Of course stupidly they did not realize that ,whatever they thought of her personally, she was the adored mother of the future king of England, so a sculpture is going up in her memory anyway, and she will be remembered for being William's mother (and the effect she had on the British populace) long after Margaret and the present Duke of Kent and Kenneth Rose are all forgotten.

Diana's death brought up for the British people all their hatred of the Establishment almost exactly for the reasons the Establishment's reaction to Diana's death demonstrated. All the queen's lesser relatives and relatives believe(d) their position and comfort were because they were so deserving--and not for the real reason, because of their personal or professional proximity to a hugely symbolic figure for the people, the monarch. It seems hilarious that Margaret despised Diana and Fergie for bringing down the prestige of the royal family in the 90s when her own behavior did even more so in the 50s through the 70s--as if she were herself so wonderful since she was a king's daughter that such behavior could be forgiven in her case, but not in Diana's, even though she was the mother of a king-to-be (and thus more important).

by Anonymousreply 14November 3, 2019 7:04 PM

I couldn't tell from the diaries if they hated the idea of a Diana memorial (probably) or the location of it there (having lived through the week before her funeral) or both (most likely outcome.) When you read how Kent liked Camilla you can imagine he came to quite dislike Diana.

by Anonymousreply 15November 3, 2019 7:18 PM

Diana was nearly the death of that family, which would not have been a bad thing. Unfortunately for her, narcissistic, unstable Diana was the death of herself.

by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2019 7:48 PM

Good stuff, OP. What I gleaned from his entries was that for the most part they are/were *all* assholes to some extent. He seemed a bit fond of Fergie, and went easy on Cams.

by Anonymousreply 17November 3, 2019 8:24 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 5, 2019 2:58 AM

Serious fucking head gear.

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2019 3:32 AM

[quote]When Johnnie showed Diana his draft list, she crossed out all the family who had not bothered to come to the weddings of her sisters! One day she will be very formidable.

Dataloungers trash Diana constantly but I love her.

by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2019 3:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!