Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Terminator: Dark Fate" is SO GOOD... and Linda Hamilton is the standout once again!

I just got out of seeing this movie and boy was it a fun ride! I was expecting to leave the theater angry by how bad it was, but instead was very surprised by how much I liked it! So much so, that I may see it again.

I loved Grace (the Arnie of this film) so much. That actress was resilient and so badass, and never felt forced. She was very natural and kicked ass!!! I loved that this movie takes place in Mexico (and Texas) and that the bad guy is a sexy ass Mexican man. He is HOT, as is Diego Boneta in this. He looks so fucking sexy in his intro scene when he is shirtless. OMFG. Those tits....

The real star of the film is Linda Hamilton, who at 63 is just as hardcore, badass and phenomenal as ever. She walks in and takes over like a boss. That is not saying anyone else is bad, they arent, they are all top notch, its just that she owns every scene she is in, just like in T2. She plays no games.

Arnie was great with the little he was in the film (he shows up mostly for the films 3rd and final acts.

Great popcorn flick, with sad moments and some truly great battle scenes. This is the best one since T2, its really fun! The first 30 minutes are non-stop action, its a ride!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 13, 2019 7:42 PM

I hear d this movie was awful.

by Anonymousreply 1November 2, 2019 12:06 AM

It literally just came out... i doubt you heard that r1, same person all over the Joker threads going on and on about how bad that one is too. (and saying that before the movie even released)

by Anonymousreply 2November 2, 2019 12:08 AM

Indeed I did hear it somewhere that it was awful. Some review on the internet, I believe. Anyway, the OP is a PR shill, a laughable one.

by Anonymousreply 3November 2, 2019 12:13 AM

I enjoyed it. And yes, it is Linda's movie. She's fantastic in it.

Its not as good as Terminator 2 Judgement Day, but it is much, much better that Rise of the Machines, Salvation or Genisys.

by Anonymousreply 4November 2, 2019 12:14 AM

r3 something you also say on the Joker threads...

by Anonymousreply 5November 2, 2019 12:14 AM

R4 and OP, I saw it tonight and liked it a lot. I was let down by the previous 3 films so I was hesitant to watch this one but I am glad I did. It is good!

Linda is the star. She was fantastic in this movie.

Diego Boneta truly does have a gorgeous body and face. I was sad when he ...

by Anonymousreply 6November 2, 2019 12:27 AM

OP - that's fantastic. Now, when you get to your your desk at the pr office tomorrow morning, you'll be able to honestly say that you like it when you speak to other people about praising it.

It's good to believe in your product.

by Anonymousreply 7November 2, 2019 12:34 AM

Look at R7 history. He is all over every Joker thread, other film threads and now this one.

by Anonymousreply 8November 2, 2019 12:45 AM

[quote]Look at [R7] history. He is all over every Joker thread, other film threads and now this one.

Honey, I'm all over tons of threads and have been for years. I make no excuses.

I'm also on the Florida Teacher thread and the Why Aren't Doctors and Dermatologists Recommending Change of Diet. I'm also telling OP in the My Husband Hit Me This Morning thread that there is a lot more to his story if he was still drunk this morning.

I also commented in the Galavant thread that Timothy Omundson has great hair, and it's a pity that his stroke has kept him from doing more.

I also used to like the names Travis, Trevor, and Finn until they were adopted en masse by hoipolloi in the Awful Male Names thread.

The only real point you could possibly have is that I need to get a life and stop spending so much time on DL...a sentiment with which I agree, but am frankly too entertained to stop.

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2019 1:11 AM

Who's this asshole who keeps accusing people of being "all over every Joker thread?" He accused me and I haven't commented on any Joker threads, I could not give a rat's ass about that movie.

by Anonymousreply 10November 2, 2019 1:17 AM

I heard it was better than all those after Terminator 2. But not as good as 1 and 2. I can't wait to go see it.

by Anonymousreply 11November 2, 2019 1:19 AM

Great movie

by Anonymousreply 12November 2, 2019 3:04 AM

OP, I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. But I just can't be bothered. I'll wait for it to show up on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 13November 2, 2019 4:41 AM

R13 it’s a shame you won’t even give it a chance

by Anonymousreply 14November 2, 2019 11:46 AM

Is there an explanation why the Terminator suddenly looks like a 70 yo? Why is a machine aging? I know it's a movie, but it's just ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 15November 2, 2019 12:11 PM

The Terminator was described from the beginning as being a kind of cyborg, human flesh over metal. So there’s nothing to stop him from aging.

by Anonymousreply 16November 2, 2019 12:31 PM

Yes, The Terminator is a cyborg with human flesh over the metal. So he would age.

by Anonymousreply 17November 2, 2019 12:36 PM

My friend saw it last night and had nothing but good things to say about it. I will see it eventually.

I hope it does not bomb as bad as its expected to.

by Anonymousreply 18November 2, 2019 12:39 PM

Fun story: Last Friday night, a group of friends and I went for a drink at the bar in The Four Seasons in Beverly Hills. As we walked in, walking in behind us was Linda Hamilton. I let her pass in front of me and she complimented my jacket and then we chatted for a minute as we walked to the bar. She was super friendly and “just folks.”

by Anonymousreply 19November 2, 2019 12:48 PM

I love OP's enthusiasm. I wish I could get that excited over... well, anything. 😩

by Anonymousreply 20November 2, 2019 12:56 PM

R19 is one of those white gays that works overtime to make people believe hes wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 21November 2, 2019 12:59 PM

R21 works overtime to shit all over experiences they’ll never have because they’re such a miserable person.

by Anonymousreply 22November 2, 2019 1:04 PM

r22 sweetie, I can go have drinks at Four Seasons but I would rather not pay $20 per drink to look rich when I am middle class. I am smart with money, you should try it.

by Anonymousreply 23November 2, 2019 1:07 PM

r22 I'm not r21 but that retort... doesn't even make sense?

Anyway, enough about social-climbing homos. Back to the movie at hand!

by Anonymousreply 24November 2, 2019 1:10 PM

Review aggregator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 2, 2019 1:29 PM

Go see it, girls.

by Anonymousreply 26November 2, 2019 11:32 PM

R14 I saw the last three at the cinemas. And I like Linda Hamilton but I've had my fill of Terminator films. They should have made this movie a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 27November 3, 2019 1:27 AM

by Anonymousreply 28November 3, 2019 1:51 AM

Box office disappointment

by Anonymousreply 29November 3, 2019 1:54 AM

[quote]Paramount’s “Terminator: Dark Fate” is falling short of expectations with a projected $27 million opening weekend at 4,086 North American locations.

[quote]Though the sixth installment of the sci-fi franchise is dominating domestic moviegoing, the results are a disappointment, given the hefty $185 million cost. “Terminator: Dark Fate” took in $10.6 million on its opening day, including $2.4 million from previews on Halloween night.

[quote]Pre-release forecasts for “Dark Fate” had been in the $40 million range. The film had generated buzz due to it being the first franchise entry since 1991’s “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” with series creator James Cameron and stars Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger returning.

by Anonymousreply 30November 3, 2019 2:03 AM

Just saw it - really good. I saw the first film and then this, skipped all those in between. Basically same plot. I would imagine that all the 3 female leads (especially Mackenzie Davis) are the new Lez icons.

by Anonymousreply 31November 3, 2019 5:04 AM

[Quote] I would imagine that all the 3 female leads (especially Mackenzie Davis) are the new Lez icons.

Oh for sure!

by Anonymousreply 32November 3, 2019 10:41 AM

Was Linda Hamilton not a Lez icon after T2?

by Anonymousreply 33November 3, 2019 3:43 PM

Spoilers coming - I suggest you don't continue if you don't want it spoiled.

So, they killed John Connor at the very beginning. Doesn't that mean that Skynet wins since the whole point of the first movie was that they sent someone back in time to kill his mother before giving birth to him. While I'm perfectly willing to ignore the non-Cameron sequels and the entire mythology surrounding Connor, it seems like they've basically invalidated the basic premise.

While someone could argue that it's John Connor and the attempt to save him that was misguided and that humanity actually wins when he's killed, still seems like a flux capacitor kind of answer.

by Anonymousreply 34November 5, 2019 4:19 PM

I liked the film but it has its problems. Linda Hamilton was great. I wish she would have been the focus of the movie and not the teenage girl, who looked completely ridiculous in those scenes from the future. If they were going to kill off John Connor, they should have done it while he was an adult. If they really didn't want Furlong to act in this movie, they could still have had him appear in present day footage, perhaps willingly sacrificing himself.

The first action set piece was absolutely amazing. The last action set piece on the plane though defies suspension of disbelief though. The action does improve when they get off the plane, but the sacrifice with Grace has a deus ex machina feel to it. The very end reveal also introduces new paradoxes into the timeline. I wasn't sure at first, but I did like the direction they took with Arnold the more I thought about it. I just wish the movie would have explained it better.

Now I see the anti SJWs are upset that the savior is an illegal alien (and totally charisma free), and that they sort of imply that Sarah Connor isn't as important as this new character. But people fail to mention that Dani is a surrogate mom for Grace. If Grace would have lived at the end, I would totally be fine with it as I consider Grace to be the true badass of this movie. Their also pissed about the border subplot, which admittedly does feel shoehorned in. Crossing the border was never an obstacle in past movies and the movie's attempt to be politically relevant falls flat on its face.

Despite all these issues, I did enjoy the movie and plan to watch it again. Linda, Arnold, Mackenzie, and the new villain all worked for me and the action sequences, especially from the first half, were amazing.

by Anonymousreply 35November 5, 2019 4:51 PM

BTW, Spoilers aplenty above. I apologize if someone read that first paragraph without any knowledge of John Connor's fate even though it's been the most discussed aspect of the film since its release.

More spoilers.

I actually think it would have been a nice twist if Grace had survived at the end, and Dani died.

by Anonymousreply 36November 5, 2019 5:15 PM

Dani's brother was so hot.

by Anonymousreply 37November 5, 2019 11:15 PM

[quote]I enjoyed it. And yes, it is Linda's movie. She's fantastic in it.

Agree that Linda is GREAT, but I thought it was MacKenzie Davis's movie. She's phenomenal and really is the emotional center of the movie.

Overall I was quite surprised how much I liked it after all the internet kvetching about the movie. The rightwing callout squad really jumped all over this one. Most of it is BS, but there is one thing I semi-agree on. The movie is really centered on Mexico. I think the moviemakers did that from a good place -- their intention was to show that Mexicans are people, even heroes, and not just bordercrossing monsters. A laudable goal and one I completely agree with, but I think it's a little too on-the-nose.

Also Arnold is extremely fun in this movie. It's not hard to see why he was such a big star for such a long time. He might not have a lot of range, but he knows what he does well and sticks to it.

Action sequences were good but as usual in Hollywood they go on for too long and strain credulity too much. My favorite T movie is the first one, not the second, because in the first one, the action sequences actually seem like they can plausibly happen, meaning the movie feels less like a cartoon and so the threat to Sara feels more real, and so the drama does as well.

It's a shame they took so long to get back to form with the T movies. They've already sullied the brand by stepping too far from the heart of the movies -- Sara and Arnold as the T800. It looks like it's too late and audiences don't want to give this a chance, retcon or no retcon.

by Anonymousreply 38November 8, 2019 3:05 PM

Mary Stuart Masterson Jr. was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 39November 10, 2019 11:23 AM

Maybe the film failed in the U.S. because people thought Linda Hamilton was Elizabeth Warren.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 10, 2019 11:30 AM

No one has mentioned Gabriel Luna yet, really? I find him so dreamy. 😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 10, 2019 11:37 AM

They attempted this again after the failure that was Genisys?

by Anonymousreply 42November 10, 2019 11:39 AM

It was just a very generic action movie. Nothing special about it all. Surprising that they have not been able to top T1 or T2 made all of these years ago -even technically it seemed.

And no words about Dani's hunky brother - Diego Boneta?

by Anonymousreply 43November 12, 2019 8:12 AM

R43 he is literally mentioned in OP. Learn to read.

by Anonymousreply 44November 12, 2019 8:53 AM

This is officially a bomb thank god.

Women with weapons of destruction or whatever the hell they're using. This for some reason is a good example of diversity and progress.

God help those in favor of gun control or people who want a less violent society. Women can do anything!

by Anonymousreply 45November 12, 2019 9:05 AM

Dear god Linda Hamilton looks old but props to her for not having any work done. Still for an action hero she looks more like Beulah Bondi with a very expensive Hollywood hair stylist just off camera blowing out her hair at every cut.

by Anonymousreply 46November 12, 2019 9:50 AM

R44 - I did read. And there is another line about him in some other reply as well. Just thought that it is surprising there isnt more of a discussion about him here.

by Anonymousreply 47November 12, 2019 10:18 AM

Wow, I blocked the rude r44 and a full quarter of DL went away in an instant. Gurl... I might not know how to read, but I sure as hell have a life. 😬

by Anonymousreply 48November 12, 2019 10:22 AM

The showing I saw on Saturday afternoon was 3/4 empty. Wish I'd been one of the missing.

by Anonymousreply 49November 12, 2019 1:42 PM

Wow r49 did you really find it that bad? I certainly felt entertained and didn't regret seeing it. It's not Citizen Kane but I didn't walk in expecting that.

by Anonymousreply 50November 12, 2019 3:02 PM

Mackenzie Davis: she can’t just be *Canadian*...

by Anonymousreply 51November 12, 2019 3:12 PM

THE NEW YORKER gave Dark Fate a great review! I was really surprised. Anthony Lane doesn't like anything, but his review actually makes the film sound fun and clever. He singles out Mackenzie Davis's performance and thinks Arnold Schwartzenegger is comedically funny. I might even go see it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 12, 2019 3:54 PM

Watched this in the cinema yesterday and really enjoyed it. Pretty exhilarating and non stop with action that reminded me of Fury Road, not just because of the strong female team assisted by a bloke.

It doesn't need a huge amount of analysis and the set pieces were unbelievable at times, but what a ride.

Mackenzie Davis was barely recognisable from San Junipero and looked much bigger than her 178m height as recorded. Linda Hamilton was great too and Dani was good but paled in comparison to her brother and his tits.

WHY OH WHY HAS NO ONE MENTIONED THE HOT BROTHER AND HIS HOT TITS!!!

by Anonymousreply 53November 12, 2019 4:05 PM

Can it recoup and make a profit on DVD and streaming? Right now its losses are tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 54November 12, 2019 4:17 PM

The problem is it had no story. Linda was great. Arnold was great. But it was basically just a bunch of action scenes.

by Anonymousreply 55November 12, 2019 4:22 PM

Diego Boneta is not some newcomer. He's been around for years and talked about plenty. He even got his ass out finally in a movie or miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 56November 12, 2019 4:32 PM

Exactly R55. And the action scenes paled in comparison to T2 IMO.

by Anonymousreply 57November 12, 2019 4:38 PM

You all say scenes were unbelievable as if that's a minor flaw. It's one thing to take a few liberties with physics for some excitement, it's another to bend reality so that even cartoons would blush.

What about that sparkling dialog? The humvee has an absurd slide over a dam and is hanging by a cable, and the line is "We can't stay here." Two minutes later, they're in another pickle and the line (of course)? "We can't stay here."

And let's talk about pacing, shall we? In between the action, they characters basically stand around worrying about getting the hybrid her glucose shot.

by Anonymousreply 58November 12, 2019 6:08 PM

Why does the T-800 kill John Connor if Skynet was destroyed? Perhaps they should have taken a cue from Genysis and make future John Connor a Terminator and it was the resistance who sent a good Terminator back in time to kill him only to later find out that John was like Grace, and mostly human, so they bring him back.

by Anonymousreply 59November 12, 2019 6:23 PM

R53 here - the one thing that I chose not to think about was the new Terminator's ability to link in to all CCTV cameras and it made me question why there weren't any other Terminator hunters or other Terminators chasing them all, or the CIA or FBI or Air Force or Mossad or whatever who would also be able to see what was going on. Like the engine room/turbine hall in the dam would have had 100s of cameras.

Still, best not to think about it and just enjoy it for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 60November 12, 2019 6:25 PM

America has been waiting to re-embrace silver screen beauty Linda Hamilton, and now we have our chance!

by Anonymousreply 61November 12, 2019 6:25 PM

[quote]The problem is it had no story.

The same could arguably be said of the original movie, if that's the case. Robot appears, girl's defender appears, both find girl at same time, robot hunts girl (and girl's defender), robot corners girl, girl destroys robot.

Sometimes the story is in the action.

by Anonymousreply 62November 12, 2019 9:22 PM

It had a story, just not a very good one. The actors did the best they could although Dani was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 63November 12, 2019 9:27 PM

Just watched it and it was better than I expected it to be. Much better than the sequels that have come since T2.

I thought the guy playing the Terminator wasn't very attractive at all and wished Diego had played him instead.

SPOILER:

As mentioned above, lots of plot holes that don't really make sense. Most notably, Grace reveals she's never heard of this Skynet. However, if they came back and killed John Connor, altering the future, why wouldn't Skynet exist?

I thought the CGI they did at the very beginning, giving us a young Linda Hamilton, Arnold, and Furlong was pretty impressive.

by Anonymousreply 64November 12, 2019 10:30 PM

After reading NYer review I'd see it just to watch Schwartzenegger play an upholsterer in Laredo TX.

by Anonymousreply 65November 13, 2019 12:00 AM

I have a feeling this is going to be more entertaining on television than in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 66November 13, 2019 8:53 AM

Just saw it in the theater last night at a 9:40 p.m. showing me and probably six other people. I liked it.

And Diego, mmmmm I would suckle on those titties like a newborn baby.

Okay seriously a couple of questions.

Spoilers obviously . . . . If this takes place after T2, is the t-1000 that killed John Connor in Mexico another one sent through time? or was it the same one was lowered into the molten metal at the end T2 and somehow survived (like the arm from T1 survived and was reverse-engineered by Dyson in T2)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 13, 2019 7:14 PM

R67 it was a new Terminator sent back to kill him.

by Anonymousreply 68November 13, 2019 7:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!