Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What was your mom's go to meal when times were lean?

My mom made salmon cakes from canned salmon and saltines. She would fry them in the skillet and stink up the whole house. They were served with ketchup, canned peas, and sadness.

by Anonymousreply 346September 12, 2022 3:55 PM

Macaroni and cheese and fish sticks.

by Anonymousreply 1October 31, 2019 5:17 AM

Macaroni and tomatoes. We sometimes had salmon patties. I can still remember the smell. I never knew we were poor, until I was older and listened to my older sisters talk about how bad things were. They said they were coal miners daughters without the coal. I hate hearing about anyone who grew up hungry. Hope you're well and fed tonight, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2October 31, 2019 5:34 AM

Being Irish, potatoes. Either boiled with salt and a chunk of cheap butter spread on top or mashed up. Breakfast was porridge so occasionally just another bowl of that. My mother worked two jobs so sometimes my dad was the one cooking the spuds. We always ran out of money on Wednesday and my parents got paid on Friday so we had 2 lean days. I have 11 siblings and when I realized I was gay I was fucking thrilled because it meant “this” - poverty and too many kids and sex leading to other mouth to feed so you can’t even enjoy an orgasm without being punished for it - would never happen to me.

by Anonymousreply 3October 31, 2019 5:43 AM

Beans and cornbread.

by Anonymousreply 4October 31, 2019 5:48 AM

Patio frozen burritos, Michelina frozen lasagna, canned ravioli.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 31, 2019 6:55 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 6October 31, 2019 10:14 PM

Spaghetti with cut up hot dogs in the sauce.

by Anonymousreply 7October 31, 2019 10:35 PM

My mom served us spaghetti topped with Velveeta and ketchup. Even she must have been disgusted because it never happened again.

by Anonymousreply 8October 31, 2019 10:37 PM

Why didn't she just get a job? Or even food stamps? You can live quite well on them.

by Anonymousreply 9October 31, 2019 10:38 PM

Because back then people had pride. My parents would rather go hungry than accept charity.

by Anonymousreply 10October 31, 2019 10:41 PM

Spaghetti and mashed potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 11October 31, 2019 10:43 PM

Goulash. Hamburger, noodles and tomato sauce. My mom worked her ass off but always was with an alcoholic. I remember times coming home from school and being so hungry and going in the fridge and all they would be in there with beer. I swore when I became a adult that would never happen. I do not drink and never eat Goulash.

by Anonymousreply 12October 31, 2019 10:43 PM

Bakes beans on toast.

by Anonymousreply 13October 31, 2019 10:44 PM

We ordered Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 14October 31, 2019 10:45 PM

Salmon patties, breaded pork tenderloins that came frozen in a box of four, and she made a bean/hamburger casserole with biscuits from a can on top sprinkled with cheese. I didn't realize we were poor until kids made fun of my clothes at school. My mom finished school and became the VP of a very large bank and my dad got a better job as well. When we had money I hated the kids at school so much I dressed all punk rock in thrift clothes by the time I got to high school...in my $100 Docs, of course.

by Anonymousreply 15October 31, 2019 10:46 PM

Cream Tuna on Toast Potato soup

by Anonymousreply 16October 31, 2019 10:47 PM

Little meat pies in muffin tins, with ground beef and veg. I loved them and had no idea they were her day before payday meal. So yummy.

by Anonymousreply 17October 31, 2019 10:49 PM

Baked beans + cut up hot dogs

by Anonymousreply 18October 31, 2019 10:49 PM

My twin and I once split a can of beef-a-roni I that was stretched with milk.

by Anonymousreply 19October 31, 2019 11:01 PM

My folks had a big farm. My dad owned thousands of acres of farmland. We had $.

by Anonymousreply 20October 31, 2019 11:03 PM

SOS and then saved the beef jar for OJ glasses

by Anonymousreply 21October 31, 2019 11:03 PM

Tuna casserole. Basically just canned tuna, spaghetti and Velveeta. And it was (and still is) good! Especially if you can afford some canned mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 22October 31, 2019 11:04 PM

Times were so lean, we didn't have a mom.

by Anonymousreply 23October 31, 2019 11:09 PM

Got a lug of tomatoes from Ti Juana and made vegetarian red sauce (days before "spaghetti sauce" was sold in a jar. Elderly neighbors gave us their fresh figs off of a tree which they didn't want, so we made fig jam for homemade wholewheat bread. "Beast stew" which was really pot roast made with much cheaper stew meat with lots of potatoes and carrots. Campbell's alphabet vegetable soup with added beans.

The above were good, hated the days we had organ meats.

by Anonymousreply 24October 31, 2019 11:18 PM

Angola Soup (called that because Mom didn't have a name for it and there was some war in angola happening on tv when we asked her what ir was). A soup made of Ground beef, vermicelli noodles and onions.

by Anonymousreply 25October 31, 2019 11:18 PM

She would make a giant pot of spaghetti, fill ziplock bags, and freeze them.

by Anonymousreply 26October 31, 2019 11:22 PM

Wait till the Darfur Orphan gets here.

You know, the starving child in Africa who would have killed to have a bite of that Beefaroni and milk!

by Anonymousreply 27October 31, 2019 11:27 PM

The meals all sounds repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 28October 31, 2019 11:34 PM

Hot dog boats. Lay down a slice of white bread, add a slice of American "cheese" and then diagonally place a weiner on top. Connect the edges of the bread on top with a toothpick. Heat in oven until toasted. Voila, a crunchy hot dog!

This was served with frozen french fries fried in a huge cast iron skillet with Crisco that had been reused a million times and a Coke. (We were poor but we always had real Coke and Mama always had her Malboro 100s.) Dessert was a Little Debbie snack. A vertible white trash feast.

by Anonymousreply 29October 31, 2019 11:37 PM

r7=Sheldon Cooper

by Anonymousreply 30October 31, 2019 11:37 PM

Galonggong with rice

by Anonymousreply 31October 31, 2019 11:38 PM

Gin and regrets.

by Anonymousreply 32October 31, 2019 11:39 PM

Homemade pizza from scratch.

My mom made large cookie-sheet sized pizzas with pepperoni or italian sausage, green peppers and onions and would proudly announce they "Only cost $1.75 apiece!"

When we were broke, we ate them just about every night. Being a kid, I didn't complain.

I still love her pizza.

by Anonymousreply 33October 31, 2019 11:41 PM

My mom always had a garden, so we had vegetable soup a lot.

by Anonymousreply 34October 31, 2019 11:43 PM

Holy shit you've all contributed the exact same comments to the exact same thread annually, for years.

by Anonymousreply 35October 31, 2019 11:48 PM

We never had lean times, although once a week, the nannies, maids, and family driver would join us on the main dining table for a get together dinner.

by Anonymousreply 36October 31, 2019 11:48 PM

[quote]Holy shit you've all contributed the exact same comments to the exact same thread annually, for years

it's the Circle of Life

by Anonymousreply 37October 31, 2019 11:51 PM

My mom made food from scratch. She scratched it out of a can.

by Anonymousreply 38October 31, 2019 11:54 PM

Hamburger helper. Sloppy Joes. Creamed beef on toast (aka shit on a shingle)

by Anonymousreply 39November 1, 2019 12:02 AM

If my mother didn't have enough meat for a loaf, she'd put what she had into muffin tins. We get four small muffins instead of a chunk of meat loaf.

by Anonymousreply 40November 1, 2019 12:06 AM

A pack of Herbert-Tareyton and a bottle of Rock and Rye.

by Anonymousreply 41November 1, 2019 12:09 AM

These threads are good for several reasons... The posts may give some people a few good thrifty ideas, and help others to remember not everyone has enough to eat, or enough money to eat well. Gratitude is good, and there is too much food waste in affluent cultures like America. Perhaps these threads make some people realise how lucky they were, even if their family did struggle. I'm always struck by the posters who have warm memories of certain foods, and that their families never let them feel poor. Though some were really poor, it sounds like they had wonderfully gracious and brave parents.

Other posts are simply hilarious like R25 and Angola soup!

by Anonymousreply 42November 1, 2019 12:11 AM

What a great post, R42.

by Anonymousreply 43November 1, 2019 12:14 AM

Cheers R43

by Anonymousreply 44November 1, 2019 12:15 AM

"hoover gravy" flour, bacon grease and water, on a biscuit

by Anonymousreply 45November 1, 2019 12:18 AM

Lobster. My dad and uncle were lobstermen so whatever they couldn’t sell and we ate it like other people ate potatoes. We’d keep them in the bottom drawers of the fridge and you’d hear them scratching the sides all night. I didn’t touch the stuff

by Anonymousreply 46November 1, 2019 12:26 AM

Meatloaf

by Anonymousreply 47November 1, 2019 12:38 AM

R47, extended with rice or with off brand corn flakes?

by Anonymousreply 48November 1, 2019 12:41 AM

R14/YMF, your family experienced lean times?

by Anonymousreply 49November 1, 2019 12:44 AM

Mashed potatoes with a beef mince, onion gravy.

by Anonymousreply 50November 1, 2019 12:46 AM

I couldn't help but laugh at some of you guys talking about salmon patties. My mom, whose family were multi-millionaires, married my dad who came from nothing but manage to put himself through law school (and then me, too) used to fix what she called croquettes . . . but they were made with TUNA not salmon.

Dear Lord, the whole house would smell like cat food.

by Anonymousreply 51November 1, 2019 12:51 AM

I couldn't help but laugh at some of you guys talking about salmon patties. My mom, whose family were multi-millionaires, married my dad who came from nothing but manage to put himself through law school (and then me, too) used to fix what she called croquettes . . . but they were made with TUNA not salmon.

Dear Lord, the whole house would smell like cat food.

by Anonymousreply 52November 1, 2019 12:51 AM

Ummmm.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 1, 2019 12:56 AM

Typical midwest stuff, Hamburger Helper, sloppy joes, frozen pizza (usually Tombstone or Tony's...both of which taste absolutely disgusting now), sometimes Polish sausage with canned sauerkraut, or ham and beans with cornbread.

by Anonymousreply 54November 1, 2019 12:56 AM

What do you mean by "lean times", OP? If we got hungry we would just ring cook and have him bring us something tasty!

by Anonymousreply 55November 1, 2019 1:00 AM

A disgusting concoction of tuna fish and noodles. Never again!

by Anonymousreply 56November 1, 2019 1:04 AM

Stuffed cabbage or spaghetti/macaroni with meat sauce. My mom could stretch a pound of ground beef to next week.

by Anonymousreply 57November 1, 2019 1:06 AM

My wonderful Italian mom canned her homemade spaghetti sauce, and there was always a stash in the basement. We could have eaten pasta every day, and never gotten sick of it.

by Anonymousreply 58November 1, 2019 1:06 AM

R58 your mom sounds wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 1, 2019 1:08 AM

Ratatouille. It's actually very cheap to make.

by Anonymousreply 60November 1, 2019 1:11 AM

She was r59.

She passed away last year. Your lame attempt at humor sucks.

by Anonymousreply 61November 1, 2019 1:14 AM

r58 seems very passive aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 62November 1, 2019 1:15 AM

at least raygun is now ashes, like all those young men who died of aids because of his homophobia and callousness

by Anonymousreply 63November 1, 2019 1:15 AM

R61 no lame attempt. I’m married to an a Italian, and that is our joke. He had a weight problem in his youth, because he ate fresh pasta sometime twice a day. . Long story...

by Anonymousreply 64November 1, 2019 1:17 AM

Meatloaf that was mostly crackers, eggs and ketchup. And chunks of celery, which feels like chomping bugs to me.

That was when you asked for extra mashed potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 65November 1, 2019 1:18 AM

Chicken cacciatore -- uses a cheap cut of chicken (thighs), just add vegetables and tomatoes. Braise.

by Anonymousreply 66November 1, 2019 1:23 AM

Pinto beans. My mom had a 50 pound burlap bag of them in the basement. She'd fire up the crockpot and make a batch, then put the crockpot with the leftovers in the fridge and reheat them until it was empty and then do it again. Sometimes she'd refry them WITH CRISCO. We had them nearly every meal.

by Anonymousreply 67November 1, 2019 1:23 AM

Fried potatoes and onions, liver and onions, onions and onions.....

by Anonymousreply 68November 1, 2019 1:25 AM

R61 Sorry about your mum. I hope have her recipe so you can replicate the sauce, and honour her that way.

by Anonymousreply 69November 1, 2019 1:25 AM

[quote]I didn't realize we were poor until kids made fun of my clothes at school.

We were food stamp poor when I was a kid, there were five of us age range 6 through 16 and my little brother was only 11 months younger than me. We wore thrift store clothes that my mom bought larger so we'd grow into them, so I was always self-conscious in school because I didn't wear trendy clothes.

I remember having a conversation with an aunt when I was in my 30s or so about how poor my family was and how I wore the same clothes all the time and her response was that it was nothing to be ashamed of because our clothes were clean and we were always bathed. I had never thought about that before and it made me feel better about being a poor kid.

by Anonymousreply 70November 1, 2019 1:31 AM

R61 sorry about your mom, too. Did she pass down any recipes?

by Anonymousreply 71November 1, 2019 1:36 AM

Margarine and sugar on white bread for lunch. We loved it.

by Anonymousreply 72November 1, 2019 1:46 AM

[quote] my little brother was only 11 months younger than me.

Irish twins.

by Anonymousreply 73November 1, 2019 1:58 AM

My neighbors mom always made hamburger helper beef stroganoff. It looked like dog food.

by Anonymousreply 74November 1, 2019 2:09 AM

R69/r71 My mom was one of those cooks who never wrote down a recipe, just eyeballed the ingredients, and it came out perfect every time. My siblings and myself (there were 5 of us) hung around the kitchen on Sundays to help with dinner, so between all of us, we pretty much perfected her recipe for sauce and meatballs. The only thing missing is my Mom's love.

💟 Thank you for your kind words.

by Anonymousreply 75November 1, 2019 2:12 AM

R28 Well, then starve ;)

by Anonymousreply 76November 1, 2019 2:16 AM

Powdered milk and Tang.

by Anonymousreply 77November 1, 2019 2:19 AM

Dinner was either 3 eggs stretched with corn flour to feed five people or skillet fried onions and potatoes

by Anonymousreply 78November 1, 2019 2:25 AM

R28 is a Freaking Fraud and using my name in vain.

From what I remember about my dear mom, her go to meal was stone soup and and fried plantains.

EVERYTHING on this thread sounds [italic] Delightful !

by Anonymousreply 79November 1, 2019 2:27 AM

No one ate the government cheese???? We had grilled cheese, cheese soup, Mac n cheese, cheesy eggs, and on got days we even had cheese sic kles!

Amateurs!

by Anonymousreply 80November 1, 2019 2:28 AM

R75 Oh honey, the love is right there with you all.Every single time you make her sauce,you will think of her and smile.

by Anonymousreply 81November 1, 2019 2:37 AM

If she was cremated, adding a bit of her ashes to the sauce should add a nice, piquant woodsy flavor, as well as as letting her live on, in your pasta.

by Anonymousreply 82November 1, 2019 2:39 AM

I remember that black & white wrapper, R80!

My mom made the typical midwestern fare already mentioned (Hamburger Helper, canned veggies, goulash, etc). The neighbor girl became a frequent dinner guest at our home....so much so it apparently got to her mother who then invited my sister and I for dinner one evening.

She made “soup”: canned yellow corn, water, cut up hot dogs, and some salt.

Raised with manners, we finished the bowl, politely refused seconds, thanked the hostess, and returned home. It was awful. Hamburger casseroles didn’t seem so bad after that.

by Anonymousreply 83November 1, 2019 2:41 AM

The horror of my dad’s ham and beans. Disgusting alone, they become utterly revolting when mixed within”corn relish”. This was some atomic grade nasty shit he’s make when flat broke, and it was a full Dutch oven’s worth.

We learned early how to scam meals off the neighbors when that mess was stinking up the house.

by Anonymousreply 84November 1, 2019 2:48 AM

We had enough money for food but my mom hated to eat and hated to cook. She lived on cigarettes and black coffee. My dad worked most nights so my mom would give me a dollar to go across the street to the Polish grocery and get a ham and cheese hero. I'd get it with mayo, lettuce and tomato and it was stuffed with real Swiss cheese and the most delicious imported ham. With that I would get an orange or grape soda, some kind of package dessert like Yodels, or a Devil Dog or those cupcakes that came 3 to a pack and a bag of chips, ALL for that dollar. I felt like a stuffed pig when I finished eating and would watch TV till 9m and fall into a coma more than fall asleep from all that food. I'm lucky I didn't turn into a 300 pound kid. I played a lot of ball but no real exercise either.

You should have seen me at the movies on Saturdays. There too for 1 dollar I would go back to my seat with my arms filled with all kinds of food, popcorn, hot dog, chips, candy, ice cream. I spent way more time eating than watching the movies. If there was any justice in the world I should have been a fat kid. I saw the few overweight kids that were around at that time and they didn't eat near as much as I did.

Yes, I'm old.

by Anonymousreply 85November 1, 2019 3:07 AM

In sorry so many you had it rather rough.

by Anonymousreply 86November 1, 2019 3:28 AM

My mother had a knack for using whatever was in the refrigerator to make great dinners. When she served something I especially liked, I would ask the name. She would laugh and tell me it was just something she threw together. When I would ask what was in it, she would tell me, 'A little of this and that. Whatever I had in the refrigerator.'

She always produced a nice dinner (on the income of a single working mother) and I rarely saw them twice.

by Anonymousreply 87November 1, 2019 3:29 AM

I think ham was the go to dish to save money. Ham could be served so many ways and was often stretched with eggs onions and potatoes. I still love all the combinations to this day.

by Anonymousreply 88November 1, 2019 3:38 AM

My mom didn't believe in buying groceries or cooking.

by Anonymousreply 89November 1, 2019 3:40 AM

OP you’re somewhat presumptuous .

by Anonymousreply 90November 1, 2019 3:56 AM

Buttered noodles with poppyseeds, odd but tasty

by Anonymousreply 91November 1, 2019 3:56 AM

R90 here I must apologize for that fucking comment I made....reading the lengths your moms had to go to to put a meal on the table is humbling and mss as led me realize how fortunate we were. Apologies again 😘

by Anonymousreply 92November 1, 2019 4:05 AM

This always makes me cry, even though my own circumstances weren’t as terrible. I went to a fancy prep school, as a scholarship student, and the other kids would make fun of my clothes. My mom made a lot of stouffers French bread pizza. They burnt the top of my mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 1, 2019 4:11 AM

My dad's go-to was hot dogs, onions, and canned potatoes in a skillet, covered in ketchup and salt. White people salchipapas, essentially.

My mom's was Jennie-O turkey loaf with canned corn and instant potatoes, always on paper plates.

by Anonymousreply 94November 1, 2019 4:12 AM

Beans and rice and rice and beans. Once a week a meat. Maybe chicken,maybe hamburger,and precious little of that. I wouldnt touch beans or rice for decades . It wasnt easy to feed a family of 5 when there was only one income and dad drank half of that.

by Anonymousreply 95November 1, 2019 5:46 AM

Dandelion greens, wild stuff, lamb kidneys, pig liver. The good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 96November 1, 2019 6:28 AM

Mom would make pancakes the day before pay day. We thought it was great to have breakfast for supper. We had no clue that it was because Mom and Dad were broke.

by Anonymousreply 97November 1, 2019 9:27 AM

I can remember two meals.

Creamed tuna on toast: white sauce (bechamel) with a can of tuna mixed in

Melted cheddar cheese over saltines: cut up cheddar and put on individual crackers and placed under oven's broiler. She would also make chocolate milkshakes (vanilla ice cream whipped up with a hand mixer and add Nestles Quik).

by Anonymousreply 98November 1, 2019 9:52 AM

Mac and cheese with Tuna.

I remember fondly the rare occasions when we had a roast chicken. Chicken was expensive for us and I adored it.

by Anonymousreply 99November 1, 2019 10:25 AM

Open faced cheddar cheese sandwiches made in the broiler (the cheese gets brown and crisp even if you use a cheap cheddar), with an apple. To this day, one of my favorite dinners.

by Anonymousreply 100November 1, 2019 10:34 AM

Shakshuka: eggs in sauce with peppers, with bread to mop up the sauce. It was a great meal and we knew how lean times were so we ate it up.

Pasta with vegetables and oil, maybe garlic. Filling, very good.

Most of our meals were simple and filling and very inexpensive.

by Anonymousreply 101November 1, 2019 11:44 AM

Scrambled eggs with cauliflower as filler. Mom used lots of butter and sprinkled the eggs with pepper.

Now it's trendy to use cauliflower in recipes. Mom, you were ahead of your time :)

by Anonymousreply 102November 1, 2019 12:59 PM

That sounds delicious, r102.

No one has mentioned rice and beans. Filling and nutritious.

We also had homemade macaroni and cheese. When things were lean I would make it. Today, it costs about $7 to make a big tray of it (plus frozen broccoli as a side) that feeds six people for dinner. It takes about 45 minutes to make from scratch.

I know lots of ways to feed a family on a tight budget. But you have to be willing and know how to do the cooking.

by Anonymousreply 103November 1, 2019 1:37 PM

My mother had two meals she had in her back-pocket in case money ran out...

1. Tater Tot Casserole (browned ground beef with can of cream of celery soup mixed, bake with a bag of tater tots on top)

2. Chicken Far East (canned white meat chicken in a pan with chopped celery, a can of water chestnuts, a can of cream of chicken soup, white vinegar and lots of black pepper served over chow mien noodles if they were on sale or toast)

She stocked up on soup whenever it was on sale (I think the store brand was 3 for a 99 cents sometimes) so she had a pantry full of it.

I actually thought Chicken Far East was very fancy...especially when she would serve it with LaSueur Petite Peas. I had no idea how hard things were for her until she told me years later. And yes, I still make it sometimes.

For desert we would have canned Oregon Kadota figs. She would buy them by the case at a discount grocery store. I have never seen them since. Again, I thought we were fancy.

by Anonymousreply 104November 1, 2019 2:03 PM

Patio and occasionally Jose Ole burritos. Garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 1, 2019 2:16 PM

Budget Gourmet. So much of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106November 1, 2019 2:17 PM

earrings

caftans

gin

regret

by Anonymousreply 107November 1, 2019 2:17 PM

Hot dogs on Wonder bread with Campbell's canned pork and beans.

by Anonymousreply 108November 1, 2019 2:40 PM

R89. Did we have the same mother? My mother thought buying food was a waste of money

by Anonymousreply 109November 1, 2019 2:46 PM

Boiled fucking dinner. YUCK! Tasteless corned beef, turnips, potatoes and carrots. I would always want to throw up when I bit into the turnips thinking they were potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 110November 1, 2019 2:53 PM

My parents went without so I could eat.

by Anonymousreply 111November 1, 2019 3:05 PM

This thread pushed me over the edge and I wept like a baby for my mother. Yeah, yeah... MARY!

She had a hard life. I hope she can eat whatever she wants wherever she is now. As much as she likes.

by Anonymousreply 112November 1, 2019 5:38 PM

Is she alive R112? If so take her to dinner.

If she is dead she can only be consumed by worms and can no longer eat.

by Anonymousreply 113November 1, 2019 5:46 PM

This thread (and ones like it that pop up fairly regularly) make me think of a couple of things. One is how much nostalgia there is in them for a time long past, however lean it was. Are some kids growing up right now who are eating their own versions of these meals? Or is going hungry now a thing of the past in the US? And if not, what do 21st century poverty meals look like? Will these kids be posting in threads like this in about 20 years? My other thought is how repugnant it is to make fun of people for their poverty. Insulting remarks about their clothes, their meals, or how they live are truly ugly.

by Anonymousreply 114November 1, 2019 6:31 PM

R113 is a psychopath

by Anonymousreply 115November 1, 2019 6:34 PM

I am charmed that your mothers came up with appetizing fanciful names for their no budget menus.

by Anonymousreply 116November 1, 2019 6:39 PM

My dad would put a bunch of leftovers together and bake them into a casserole with cheese on top. No matter the combination of ingredients, the end result was always called “ souvlaki “.

by Anonymousreply 117November 1, 2019 6:42 PM

[quote]Now it's trendy to use cauliflower in recipes.

O, That's Good!

by Anonymousreply 118November 1, 2019 6:44 PM

My mom was a teacher and we had lean summers because she rationed her salary during teaching months to have money for the summer so she didn't have to work a summer job. Toward the end of the summer funds would run out. No new school clothes until she went back to work, either.

These were the times of: Camps frozen steak with the butter pats; top ramen with frozen vegetables and an egg; fried peanut butter and / or cheese sandwiches (Kraft single) served with ketchup or jam; spaghettios; buying all the dented can goods and raiding the remainder bin at the grocery store; fish sticks; pancakes or frozen waffles, or cereal for dinner; cut up hot dogs fried with scrambled eggs on toast.

by Anonymousreply 119November 1, 2019 6:49 PM

Spaghetti. It was even easier when it was lentil spaghetti sauce. Pasta is filling and goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 120November 1, 2019 6:51 PM

Creamed tuna on toast. (White sauce with canned tuna, peas optional, toasted white bread.) I liked it a lot, actually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 1, 2019 7:00 PM

Beans and weenies.

by Anonymousreply 122November 1, 2019 7:04 PM

Rice with lemon pepper. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 123November 1, 2019 7:05 PM

R14 I know several single mothers who barely scrape by. Unfortunately, they turn to $5 Hot N Ready Pizzas, 10 for $10 items at grocery stores, fast food value menus and other cheap processed foods. These items have replaced many of the above mentioned "cheap meals" made in years past. Spaghetti I think will always be a great, inexpensive, multi-day meal stretcher.

by Anonymousreply 124November 1, 2019 7:06 PM

R112 hugs 🤗

by Anonymousreply 125November 1, 2019 7:20 PM

Times were not lean. We had money always.

by Anonymousreply 126November 1, 2019 7:28 PM

Man, you people lived like Kings and QUEENS!!!

I would get a fried egg on a piece of toast. (And I had no idea we were poor.)

by Anonymousreply 127November 1, 2019 7:34 PM

Not a mom meal, but when I was a broke-as-a-joke college student in the late '80s, one of my roommates (a cool hippie chick) used to make "tuna pie," a casserole of canned tuna and Kraft mac and cheese, topped with crushed saltines. It was really good stoner food. I used to joke with her about how much I craved her tuna pie. 😆

by Anonymousreply 128November 1, 2019 7:42 PM

She would just make simple swap outs - instead of steak/ ground beef, go with cheaper meats like chicken thighs/drumsticks, pork chops, etc...

My folks gardened and canned. My mom is Italian, so we always had tomato sauce made from scratch, and ate a lot of pasta dishes, along with stuffed cabbage, stuffed peppers, anything with tomato sauce.

My dad would cook breakfast often - just basic stuff, home fries, eggs, toast.

by Anonymousreply 129November 1, 2019 8:06 PM

I was glad when she made Runzas. Cheap to make is awfully tasty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130November 1, 2019 8:12 PM

Oatmeal

by Anonymousreply 131November 1, 2019 8:18 PM

Frozen fish sticks and ketchup and box mac n cheese.

by Anonymousreply 132November 1, 2019 8:22 PM

R103 MANY people mentioned rice and beans before your post. Start with R95 and work your way back.

by Anonymousreply 133November 1, 2019 8:24 PM

R130, Information and recipe for Runzas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134November 1, 2019 8:26 PM

Once in a while, to change things up a bit from pasta, she would brown some ground beef or bulk sausage, add in tomato sauce and serve it over mush (polenta). Then take the remaining mush from the pot and pour it in a loaf pan and put it in the fridge. It's great, sliced and fried up in butter in the morning, and topped with some maple syrup.

by Anonymousreply 135November 1, 2019 8:32 PM

Libby"s cornbeef, instant mashed potatoes and can corn or peas. My mother kept canned goods only for the day before my dad got paid. She made things from scratch other times.

by Anonymousreply 136November 1, 2019 8:43 PM

Either "country style" boneless pork ribs or kielbasa, along with some sauerkraut & potatoes, roasted in the oven. Italian sausage, potatoes, peppers, onions, roasted.

Basically any cheap meat, along with some (fresh) potatoes and vegetables, in her roasting pan.

She was also a big fan of Shake&Bake/Oven Fry as a topping on roasting chicken or pork chops.

by Anonymousreply 137November 1, 2019 8:54 PM

That actually sounds delicious R137. I think I will try to copy some of your mom's dishes. I never combined sauerkraut with potatoes and I think it sounds great, especially with those meats and I remember loving Shake n Bake as a kid but haven't had it in so many years. I think if they still make it I will buy the one for chicken and pork chops. You're mom sounds like a creative cook.

by Anonymousreply 138November 1, 2019 8:59 PM

Mum was Scottish, so we had mince ‘n’ tatties (ground beef, potatoes, carrots, Worcestershire sauce fried up in a big pan) when she had to stretch Dad’s paycheque. It tasted good. Judging by some of the posts here, we were lucky to have it.

Bon appetit, tout le monde!

by Anonymousreply 139November 1, 2019 9:12 PM

R139, Linked is a recipe for your Scottish-based dish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 1, 2019 9:16 PM

Pancakes. Mom always made it fun, though. I didn't realize that pancakes meant that we'd run out of our monthly grocery budget. To this day, I love having breakfast for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 141November 1, 2019 9:26 PM

We drank a lot of milk as kids so my mom would buy carnation powdered milk and I remember it being good. She’s make a batch and mix it with the fresh milk.

by Anonymousreply 142November 1, 2019 10:22 PM

Spork & pickle sandwiches. Spork was an alternate brand Spam. My mom would grate it on a box grater, grate some pickle into it as well, then mix with mayo. This was put on toast, and I couldn't tell you why, but it was fucking delicious. I haven't had it for 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 143November 1, 2019 10:39 PM

R142, My mother did the same calling it, "double milk." Supposedly it tastes more like natural mothers' milk.

by Anonymousreply 144November 2, 2019 1:39 AM

We used to get large packages of completely made by hand corn tortillas in Mexico for a nickle. Mom would ask them to be made small enough to fit into our toaster, buying multiple packages at a time and freezing all them.

After heating in the toaster we'd sprinkle on cheddar or jack cheese. Or we'd use them instead of hot dog buns. Yes all beef hot dogs, mustard, pickle relish inside a corn tortilla. Or corn tortillas spread with peanut butter, no jelly.

by Anonymousreply 145November 2, 2019 1:50 AM

Lard sandwiches

by Anonymousreply 146November 2, 2019 1:53 AM

I ate mayonnaise sandwiches as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 147November 2, 2019 1:54 AM

At the end of the week, my mom would throw all of the leftovers together in a casserole dish, held together by cream of “something “ soup, topped with crushed potato chips or crackers. We called it “Cream of Refrigerator Casserole.”

by Anonymousreply 148November 2, 2019 2:08 AM

R146, Little House on the Prairie's Laura Ingalls talks about eating sandwiches with bacon grease every day for lunch at school. The rich kids got butter.

by Anonymousreply 149November 2, 2019 2:17 AM

Potato soup but basic. She served cooked cubed potatoes and the water they were boiled in and egg dumplings. No seasoning.

by Anonymousreply 150November 2, 2019 2:20 AM

Stone soup!

by Anonymousreply 151November 2, 2019 2:22 AM

R150, I love simple potato soup, it's a great budget meal, but should be made like this:

1. You peel and dice the potatoes into tiny cubes

2. You heat 5 tbsps of sunflower oil in your soup pot and slightly brown 3 tbsps of semolina in it while stirring

3. You add the potatoes and fill the pot with boiling water you have ready

3. After 15 mins of boiling, add salt and a bit of black pepper.

That's it. It takes about 30 mins to prepare. Put some cheese in the bowl when you serve (I prefer crushed Feta cheese - it's DIVINE). Eat with bread. One of my favorite foods.

by Anonymousreply 152November 2, 2019 2:28 AM

R152, You don't add onions or milk to your potato soup? What country do you come from as most Americans aren't very familiar with semolina.

I make homemade vegetable broth in my crock pot, add cubed potatoes and fried onions and carrots, a lot of seasonings. Then I make white sauce and combine, topping with sharp cheddar cheese.

by Anonymousreply 153November 2, 2019 2:33 AM

I used to eat mayo sandwiches with potato chips inside the sandwich and I loved them. I still do, also tomato sandwiches with mayo but both have to be on white bread, not quality white but like Wonder. Both have to have gobs of mayo on both sides of the sandwich. I wish I could still eat like that and get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 154November 2, 2019 2:33 AM

R153, I come from Bulgaria. And no, I add nothing else - it becomes astonishingly flavorful as it is. It was my grandmothers go-to "poverty soup" in the hungry years after the fall of Communism and I wasn't complaining. Try it - you'll thank me.

Sometimes I wonder whether a drop of beer wouldn't bring out the taste but I haven't tried it yet.

by Anonymousreply 155November 2, 2019 2:38 AM

Once, my siblings and I wanted a dessert. Out of nowhere, my dad, who didn't normally cook, whipped up some butter (margarine, actually) and sugar sandwiches (white bread). It was really good, actually, and I was wondering, "Where have these sandwiches been all my life?"

by Anonymousreply 156November 2, 2019 2:40 AM

Campbell's vegetarian vegetable alphabet soup with a can of kidney beans mixed in, the only canned soup my mother bought and just when it was on sale. Bought a can a few years back and it wasn't the same product whatsoever. At least I've been able make a copycat from scratch. From then on I always added curry powder to my soups.

by Anonymousreply 157November 2, 2019 2:43 AM

We were middle to upper middle class, but pop was a actual nutcase with constant grievances about being victimized by his 'expensive' family. This led to extreme thrift in areas like clothing, electricity and gas use, and food, of course. of

Because dad was crazy, mom was allowed to buy only the smallest...not largest sizes of food items. The kids were permitted staples like mac and cheese and hamburger while the 'rents dined on filet mignon and lobster. Vegetables were rationed. Mom often fed us pizza from a boxed mix, which used dried canned cheese, and was fixated on tiny cans of grapefruit juice for some reason. Divorce would have been a good thing for us kids, but ultimately mom was probably as daft as the old man.

by Anonymousreply 158November 2, 2019 2:46 AM

If you know the basics of cooking, you can use oil to fry onions, garlic, salt and common spices into almost any base food (pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, flour, cornmeal, etc,) and make it taste yummy.

by Anonymousreply 159November 2, 2019 2:48 AM

Homemade vegetarian lentil soup. Now I add carrots, potatoes, a little chopped rutabaga, onions, garlic, curry powder, various spices to my version.

by Anonymousreply 160November 2, 2019 2:53 AM

I made lentil soup today as money is tight. It's great to add whole garlic cloves in it - they taste delicious after stewing in the veggie broth!

by Anonymousreply 161November 2, 2019 2:56 AM

Sweet especially if you are into living history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162November 2, 2019 2:57 AM

R162, I've watched Clara's whole series, love her spunk. She lived to a ripe old age too.

Clara claims dandelion greens are edible. Has anyone ever picked similar weeds for consumption?

by Anonymousreply 163November 2, 2019 3:00 AM

My neighbors made dandelion salad quite often. It was heavily seasoned and not bad at all.

by Anonymousreply 164November 2, 2019 3:03 AM

They are fantastic, R163, if you pick them young and tender. The organic vegetable company I subscribed to when I lived in Portland provided them as well, so someone is growing them organically and commercially for greens in this decade.

by Anonymousreply 165November 2, 2019 3:04 AM

R112, <3

by Anonymousreply 166November 2, 2019 3:04 AM

Beans on toast. Sloppy Joe. Homemade pizza. Fish sticks and French fries.

Toast, jelly, peanut butter.

Good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 167November 2, 2019 3:07 AM

When I was super-broke I would make a whole box of spaghetti pasta, al dente. Then throw it into a frying pan with a generous amount of cooking oil and high heat, minced onion, minced garlic, soy sauce, lots and lots of black pepper and red pepper flakes (no slat... the soy sauce is enough), and a heaping spoonful of sugar. The trick was to get it really, really spicy with the black and red pepper, which complimented the sweetness and savoriness of the oil and onion and garlic. Sometimes when I made it just right the sugar would caramelize things a bit. Scrumptious! I was really satisfying. Sometimes I crave it even when I have money.

by Anonymousreply 168November 2, 2019 3:11 AM

My dad's union was on strike so my mom did cut the food budget. We had meatloaf, ring baloney. hamburgers, cheaper meats. fortunately my mom was a good cook so it still tasted good.

by Anonymousreply 169November 2, 2019 3:12 AM

This is semi-related to the original post:

There was a time in the mid-00's (if my memory is correct) where fast food chains were going overboard with the "Dollar Menu" trend and offering remarkable amounts of food for $1 an item.

Not anymore!

by Anonymousreply 170November 2, 2019 3:17 AM

R130, I was about to ask if that was also known as bierocks - then I opened your recipe and see that it IS!!!! For those looking for something easy to make in bulk and freezes well: this is it.

Assume you have German/Volga-German heritage?

by Anonymousreply 171November 2, 2019 3:48 AM

My Dad worked second shift, so we never got to eat with him during the week. It was very important, though, that we eat with him on the weekend, and that's when we ate really well. During the week, it was usually pretty uncomplicated stuff. Mom would cook up big batches of stuff that just needed to be reheated when we got home from school: kielbasa cooked in sauerkraut with potatoes on the side, Cincinnati child (ground beef chili served over spaghetti and topped with shredded cheese). My Dad would make us all breakfast on the weekends. He be up early, out in the kitchen whistling, and make us French toast or pancakes. My parents shopped at a railroad salvage store, where they buy dented food items very cheaply. And my Mom belong to some co-op, so she'd buy government cheese, and dried split peas and lentils. My parents care a lot about our education, so even though we were poor, they still always paid for tuition for Catholic schools. We never went on vacation, though.

by Anonymousreply 172November 2, 2019 3:59 AM

Your parents and Catholic school cared about your education; sadly, you've forgotten past tenses and conjugation.

by Anonymousreply 173November 2, 2019 4:04 AM

Meatloaf. The original recipe probably called for coarse bread crumbs, but my mom tore white bread into cubes, adding it to the ground beef to stretch it. Any time I’ve had meatloaf as an adult, I’ve missed those softened bread cubes, which soaked in all the flavor. I also remember tuna noodle casserole, mac and cheese with cut up hot dogs, butter beans and ham, LaChoy chicken chow mein (disgusting), bean and bacon soup, frozen pizzas, and whatever was on sale or my mom had coupons for. For breakfast, toast topped with margarine, cinnamon, and sugar (which is actually delicious).

by Anonymousreply 174November 2, 2019 4:37 AM

R172:

Ignore R173. I loved your post.

Loving this thread!

by Anonymousreply 175November 2, 2019 4:55 AM

[quote]Because back then people had pride. My parents would rather go hungry than accept charity.

^^^ Found the Republican.

There's no pride in letting your children go hungry. Just accept the damn can of Spaghettios for crying out loud.

by Anonymousreply 176November 2, 2019 5:23 AM

We had government cheese once but dad was a big cranky asshole and said we didn't need government handouts, but we did because he didn't make much and he spent a lot on booze. So we went without cheese for a long time, except in this "ham and cheese" lunchmeat mom would buy me. Everything we ate for years were these "lean" meals, we didn't have any good meals until mom got her degree and started working, and soon after dad got sober. Suddenly we were able to afford Kraft Singles or ground beef. Before that it was all Kraft Spaghetti Dinner or pinto beans with cornbread. Sometimes one of dad's coworkers gave dad some "extra" fish he didn't need. In retrospect I don't think it was extra fish at all but someone trying to get dad to take a little help he otherwise wouldn't have accepted.

I know Datalounge is all assholes nowadays but the talk about not accepting charity because people used to have pride is messed up. There were days when I had nothing to eat but some stale oyster crackers and off-brand margarine.

by Anonymousreply 177November 2, 2019 5:39 AM

Applying for and getting government food aid is very difficult as well as stressful for so many. Those who've never been through the process, nor helped others try and fill out the maze of forms, should show a little more compassion.

by Anonymousreply 178November 2, 2019 6:42 AM

R168, that sounds incredibly delicious!

by Anonymousreply 179November 2, 2019 11:27 AM

Thank you, r178.

by Anonymousreply 180November 2, 2019 2:06 PM

Yes we do this thread once or twice a year-- I enjoy it every time.

Whenever this subject comes up, I always find myself curious to know about the height attained and current health of the posters in these threads. No shade. Some of the meals, especially from the older posters, sound relatively healthy by today's standards; of course, some do not. I wonder what the long-term impact has been on individuals.

by Anonymousreply 181November 2, 2019 3:58 PM

It’s funny to me that some of your dads cooked. My dad couldn’t (and wouldn’t) so much as make a piece of toast. Or wash clothes or dishes. Only women did those things.

When the mother of my brother’s son died suddenly, and my brother was getting ready to go pick up his son (who lived with the mother in another state), my dad asked him “Doesn’t his grandmother (meaning the mother’s mother) want to take him?”

Because men don’t raise children, women do. My brother gave him an earful.

by Anonymousreply 182November 2, 2019 4:20 PM

R143, ham salad! We would have this with leftover ham. My parents had a meat grinder (which I have now!) that clamped onto the kitchen table. It was a treat to be the one grinding!

My father, an immigrant from rural Europe used it to grind up some very fatty smoked meat. It was extremely flavorful and he’d spread it on toast for us. It was delicious. Probably some scrap part of the pig.

by Anonymousreply 183November 2, 2019 4:22 PM

R182, how old are you?!

by Anonymousreply 184November 2, 2019 4:26 PM

I’m 40.

by Anonymousreply 185November 2, 2019 4:29 PM

Family of five. Mom asked the butcher at the IGA to save ham bones for her. He was so nice, he would wrap them in butcher paper and write 5¢ on the package in wax pencil. Then she would get a giant cant of hominy for 50¢. She froze onions we grew out back, so she would cut off the freezer burned outer layers on an onion, chop it up and dump the onion, hominy and ham bones into a big pot, add a lot of water, and boil it for a couple hours. She served this with toasted white bread with oleo. It lasted several days.

by Anonymousreply 186November 2, 2019 4:42 PM

Bones from the butcher used to be routine. Do people still do that?

by Anonymousreply 187November 2, 2019 4:47 PM

R187 I still get bones and make great soups

by Anonymousreply 188November 2, 2019 5:35 PM

Just in the autumn. Obviously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189November 2, 2019 10:12 PM

I love Spam and American cheese grilled on white bread. That is pure trailer trash food but I still love it, only I never eat it now, maybe once every couple of years. I saw they have Spam lite. I mean really what is the point.

by Anonymousreply 190November 3, 2019 12:41 AM

Creamed tuna on toast and canned spinach.

by Anonymousreply 191November 3, 2019 12:45 AM

I am sure there were times that money was hard up, but my parents would have never let us children know of something like that. However there were times where my mother fixed the following for dinner:

Dried Beef and gravy over toast, my father loved it, I hated it and would have PB&J instead.

Scrambled eggs

Grilled cheese

Salmon patties, I loved them and would request it sometimes but a couple of cans of Salmon isn't exactly cheap food

Pancakes with hamburger gravy

I don't think times were lean much, the parents would take me to restaurants as a child and allow me to order lobster quite often. They would regularly have Prime Rib and T-bone steaks at home, I liked the Prime Rib but was not a fan of steaks and would prefer a hamburger to a steak. We certainly were not rich but my father believed in eating well.

by Anonymousreply 192November 3, 2019 1:18 AM

OP types morbidly obese.What do you weigh, OP, about 485 lbs?

by Anonymousreply 193November 3, 2019 1:25 AM

My mother would make a big pot of beans. She would buy dried beans and soak them. Then she would add cut up ham or smoked sausage, onions and sometimes collard greens. She would also make cornbread with real corn in a cast iron skillet that would get crispy on the outside and was moist with corn on the inside. During the summer, we would get tomatoes from the local farmers and slice those to eat with the beans. Those tomatoes were so flavorful and juicy, not like the ones you get at the supermarket today.

I hated that meal as a kid, but would love it today.

by Anonymousreply 194November 3, 2019 1:34 AM

R194, that sounds like good eating

by Anonymousreply 195November 3, 2019 1:37 AM

[quote] Holy shit you've all contributed the exact same comments to the exact same thread annually, for years.

And apparently you R35, have read each of those threads and even remembered them annually, for years, so you must have enjoyed them.

by Anonymousreply 196November 3, 2019 1:50 AM

I don't think it was because times were lean but sometimes my father would work late or be out of town and my mother would serve frozen TV dinners which I loved or frozen Pot Pies which I hated. I think she just wanted a break from cooking and as long as we ate we kids didn't care that much what we ate.

by Anonymousreply 197November 3, 2019 1:54 AM

We had Chef Boyardee pizza or frozen dinners when my dad was away.

by Anonymousreply 198November 3, 2019 1:55 AM

I love or loved Swanson TV dinners with a passion, back when they were in those little foil things. Back in the day they did have a ton of sodium but were made with real ingredients and tasted like real food because they were. They also had dinners that haven't been around in decades, like fried shrimp with cocktail sauce, not hot and spicy Mexican meal and some other things I can't remember. The turkey dinner and the fried chicken were delicious and I loved the one that came with the warm brownie.

Now they taste like the chemicals they're made from, no real food anymore and the sodium is not just high, it's truly dangerous even to someone fairly young. So sad...

by Anonymousreply 199November 3, 2019 2:10 AM

R187 and R188. Soup is the greatest of foods; I serve it at all my tea parties. Soup of the evening, beautiful soup.

by Anonymousreply 200November 3, 2019 2:19 AM

Oops, I should have said the Mock Turtle.

But that reminds me, my mother used to serve what she called ‘mock duck.’ I think it was a pork cutlet or thin cut of beef wrapped around a stuffing. It was good.

by Anonymousreply 201November 3, 2019 2:24 AM

_R42 My Mom smoked Herbert Tareyton’s, too! She said she switched bc it stopped people from bumming cigarettes from her

by Anonymousreply 202November 3, 2019 2:33 AM

For the really lean times, buttered noodles with milk, or tomatoes with noodles (always elbow macaroni). My mom only made that when my dad was on overnight duty as an orderly, and she was saving pennies. It was a quick meal, and gave her more time to catch up with the laundry and ironing at night.

Looking back, it's amazing what she crammed in a day, with three little kids (two in nursery school), a full time job putting my dad through school, all of the shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, ironing, helping my dad study and typing his papers. I don't think she got more than 4- 5 hours of sleep most nights.

by Anonymousreply 203November 3, 2019 3:21 AM

I might be a tad older then some of you chaps. Growing up, we lived quite well, and then the Depression hit. Mum - well, Auntie as both my parents were dead, was ruined in the stock market crash. Cook would sometimes whip up a cheap chop suey type of dish, which got progressively worse as it came to light that neither he, nor Housekeeper were not being paid. So we were basically eating garbage. Auntie got a job at a department store which didn't help finances all that much. But through that job she met a millionaire and things looked up financially, a great deal so.

by Anonymousreply 204November 3, 2019 3:24 AM

Smell you! Did you have the Irish or the Negro help?

by Anonymousreply 205November 3, 2019 3:28 AM

R181 and R114:

To this day I don’t think I’ve ever seen my mom use a fresh vegetable, outside of making a salad. The impact on me was that as I hit mid-late 20’s (after college), I got very into food/health and learned how to make “real”/fresh food. Outside of pasta or rice, little from a box or can. I’m not gonna say I’ve never made Hamburger Helper.....but it’s maybe 3x a year vs. a week.

Alas, I eventually found myself single-momming it. However I have a good education/job. As the kids have gotten older their extracurriculars cut into what would have been cooking time. So, I now buy a lot of pre-cooked items from the deli/cafe at a high-end grocery store. So, in a couple decades they’ll be posting about their microwave meals.....though not even what that meant back in the 80’s. 🤣 (and I do still cook on weekends!)

by Anonymousreply 206November 3, 2019 4:15 AM

It seems impossible that someone on DL has never seen Auntie Mame r205

by Anonymousreply 207November 3, 2019 5:43 AM

Sometimes we were forced to eat choice ribeyes instead of prime

by Anonymousreply 208November 3, 2019 10:17 AM

We're Italian,so we ate Pasta four times a week. Friday was Tuna Noodle Casserole with canned everything, tuna, peas, cream of celery soup,and crumbled crackers on top. She'd water down the milk and we ate oatmeal or cream of wheat for breakfast, PB&J for lunch, Saturdays were grilled cheese and Campbell's tomato soup. Sunday was Pancakes. Then a pot roast with lots of potatoes and carrots. LOTS. We did have real butter. No margarine. But it was whipped butter.

by Anonymousreply 209November 3, 2019 12:42 PM

R204 is living in his Auntie Mame parallel universe again-

by Anonymousreply 210November 3, 2019 1:34 PM

R210, What's the big deal with Auntie Mame?

by Anonymousreply 211November 3, 2019 3:26 PM

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but it seems an appropriate place to ask a question: what can you do with ground-up potato chips? My latest guilty pleasure is Lay's potato chips with homemade onion soup/sour cream dip. Unfortunately, the last third of the potato chip bag is always nothing but crumbled, smashed chips that are useless for dipping. When my mom made tuna casserole when I was little, she'd put potato chip remnants on top of the casserole. But what else can you do with them? I've got a lot of these smashed chips saved up and I hate to throw them away.

by Anonymousreply 212November 3, 2019 4:50 PM

R212, coat chicken or fish in butter, press in the chips and bake....good times.

by Anonymousreply 213November 3, 2019 4:58 PM

For lunch, my mother would sometimes give us tomato soup with potato chips in it instead of crackers.

by Anonymousreply 214November 3, 2019 5:13 PM

I eat the crumbled chips at the bottom of the bag and then I vacuum myself.

by Anonymousreply 215November 3, 2019 5:17 PM

^^^Doesn't your caftan get caught in the vacuum hose?

by Anonymousreply 216November 3, 2019 5:23 PM

Roadkill

by Anonymousreply 217November 3, 2019 5:23 PM

Nah, I ball it up and make a turban out of it before I start the vacuum.

by Anonymousreply 218November 3, 2019 5:27 PM

R212, Mix the crushed potato chips and add a little grated cheese. Put on top of scalloped potatoes, creamed mixed vegetables, green bean casserole, zucchini casserole, and bake for 10 minutes to brown the top. Or add to most any dish in place of salt. Or stir into tuna salad or meatloaf. for sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 219November 3, 2019 5:35 PM

[bold]What was your mom's go to meal when times were lean?[/bold]

Dinner at my grandmother's house.

We weren't poor, she just hated to cook.

by Anonymousreply 220November 3, 2019 6:36 PM

R212 sprinkle on top of your tuna salad sandwich - YUM!

by Anonymousreply 221November 3, 2019 7:09 PM

Times were never lean- lucky- there was always plenty of good food- in many cases much better than I understood at the time. And not too much and very little junk.

by Anonymousreply 222November 3, 2019 7:21 PM

Campbell's Chicken & Stars soup. It was 5 or 6 cans for a dollar at our local grocery store back in the '80s. I despise it to this day and have not touched it since.

by Anonymousreply 223November 3, 2019 7:25 PM

Chicken & Stars is what my mom gave me when I was sick.

by Anonymousreply 224November 3, 2019 7:29 PM

We’d go through times we had money as well. My mother couldn’t cook to save her life. She would take us out to Howard Johnson’s for almost every day when shopping. We knew all the waitresses names, and whenever one of them quit, it was like losing an aunt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225November 3, 2019 10:01 PM

Enchiladas. Corn tortillas filled with hamburger, onion, and green chilies. Mom would pour a can of Old El Paso enchilada sauce over them and sprinkle it with shredded cheddar.

by Anonymousreply 226November 4, 2019 12:37 AM

Leave the crushed potato chips in the bag. Roll it up tightly. Throw it in the trash.

How many have you accumulated? I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 227November 4, 2019 1:22 AM

Liver and onions

by Anonymousreply 228November 4, 2019 1:36 AM

R226, We had cheese enchiladas, cheddar cheese used to be cheaper than American processed fake cheese.

by Anonymousreply 229November 4, 2019 1:58 AM

During the end of the month all we would have was mostly beans and rice or sopita, which is that abc or round tiny noodles in a broth. Sometimes fried bologna. We always had tortillas in the house as well

We got the gvmint cheese for a while, too. Would make quesadillas.

by Anonymousreply 230November 4, 2019 2:25 AM

My grandparents were still gardening into their 70's. When my parents and I would stop by to help out, visit, and make some lunch, we would often make beefsteak tomato sandwiches when they were in season. Just a thick slice of beefsteak tomato, olive oil, s&p on some fresh Italian bread.

by Anonymousreply 231November 4, 2019 4:52 AM

R231 that sounds delicious

by Anonymousreply 232November 4, 2019 9:50 AM

[R231] some of these things sound like modern gourmet “farm to table.” Up thread there was someone with the greens and homemade cornbread. Simple food is now for the affluent who shop at farmers markets.

by Anonymousreply 233November 4, 2019 12:05 PM

R212, your potato chip crumbs are loaded with salt and fat. Put them on anything even slightly savory and the flavor will be enhanced.

But it's disgusting. It's trashy. There are no non-trashy things to do with potato chips. Have you ever seen Queen Elizabeth downing a bag of Lay's? The Pope? Former commoner Kate Middleton? Or even Kitty Carlisle, for that matter.

It isn't done in the finest homes. Why not just take your potato chip crumbs to a tailgate party and pour them into your mouth, straight from the bag they came in?

by Anonymousreply 234November 4, 2019 12:16 PM

What r175 said.

Two things have been reinforced by reading this thread:

1. "My child is a picky eater." Hearing that always will annoy me.

2. Off-topic but alluded to in this thread- Bring back school uniforms and I write this as standing by this no matter how much research shows me they don't make a difference.

Boiled ring bologna and potatoes and canned peas.

by Anonymousreply 235November 4, 2019 1:05 PM

My parents grew potatoes, greens and strawberries in our little garden. We also had 2 chickens who lay when they felt like it.

So our meal when there was nothing else we’re potato platski (or latkes) with fried egg and greens in garlic and soy. My parents would usually go without the eggs so my brother, sister and I could eat extra.

by Anonymousreply 236November 4, 2019 1:20 PM

I've never heard of "ring bologna." Isn't it just a giant hot dog? Must be a regional thing. (California native here.)

by Anonymousreply 237November 4, 2019 3:25 PM

R236, My mother's potato pancakes (latkes) were the best ever. She made then in the Osterizer (blender?) as she didn't want to grate enough potatoes to feed her 5 daughters. Turned out thin, light, with super crispy edges. Restaurant versions are always totally inadequate by comparison.

Mom served them with applesauce, they're also good with plain yogurt.

by Anonymousreply 238November 4, 2019 3:45 PM

[quote][Potato chips are] disgusting. It's trashy. There are no non-trashy things to do with potato chips. Have you ever seen Queen Elizabeth downing a bag of Lay's? The Pope? Former commoner Kate Middleton? Or even Kitty Carlisle, for that matter.

I know, I KNOW! I'm embarrassed even admitting on an anonymous posting board that I've become addicted to chips and onion dip, let alone copping to saving bags of chip crumbs. I've got four bags so far, and they're all sealed up tightly to keep in the freshness and keep out bugs. They're so tasty that I really don't want to throw them out.

I appreciate the suggestions here. Tonight I'm going to make macaroni & cheese and use some of the chips as a topping.

Kitty Carlisle, eat your heart out!

by Anonymousreply 239November 4, 2019 5:33 PM

Hi, I'm a tone-deaf heartless cunt (and liar) dropping in to confirm my family certainly never experienced lean times and you are all morally inferior because poor! Ta!

by Anonymousreply 240November 4, 2019 5:39 PM

r237, yes.

I was too lazy to find an image of the really inexpensive stuff that we had in my family as a kid.

Usinger's is top shelf stuff.

My parents were good, working class, parents who did the best they could for their children. Miss you, Mom and Dad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241November 4, 2019 5:44 PM

R7 similar, spaghetti’Os with cut up hot dogs and saltines.

by Anonymousreply 242November 4, 2019 5:51 PM

Hamburger Helper and often without the hamburger.

by Anonymousreply 243November 4, 2019 5:53 PM

R23 good one, I liked that.

by Anonymousreply 244November 4, 2019 5:55 PM

I cannot understand the posters talking about eating hamburger helper, spaghetti-O's, frozen dinners and pizza. They would be considered over-priced items and easy to make from scratch in my home.

by Anonymousreply 245November 4, 2019 6:00 PM

I cannot understand the posters talking about eating hamburger helper, spaghetti-O's, frozen dinners and pizza. They would be considered over-priced items and easy to make from scratch in my home.

by Anonymousreply 246November 4, 2019 6:00 PM

R39 yup, chipped beef on toast. I wish I would have know about shit on a shingle. If so, I could have said; ‘Mom, not that same shit on a shingle again’.

by Anonymousreply 247November 4, 2019 6:01 PM

R68 yes, liver and onions was my Dad’s favorite ‘stretch the budget’ meal. We had it often. He loved it, I hated it. On those nights it was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for me.

by Anonymousreply 248November 4, 2019 6:10 PM

R97 in our house it was waffles, made with Bisquick. And like you, we had no clue. We always thought having breakfast for dinner was fun and something new and exciting.

by Anonymousreply 249November 4, 2019 6:20 PM

Scrambled eggs and Minute Rice. We loved.it.

by Anonymousreply 250November 4, 2019 6:29 PM

R111 yes, we all had some fuck’n amazing parents. And many of us were completely clueless at the time and didn’t come to realize it and appreciate it until years later. Thanks Mom and Pops.

by Anonymousreply 251November 4, 2019 6:32 PM

R137 & R138 yes, lets celebrate creative and frugal Moms everywhere by buying Shake and Bake and celebrating their ingenuity. Thanks Mom.

by Anonymousreply 252November 4, 2019 6:43 PM

R233, farmers markets aren't for the "affluent". If anything, their produce is exponentially cheaper than the grocery stores. Many local farmers, at least where I live in NE Ohio, set up temporary stands throughout the summer and fall months, and sell their stuff directly.

by Anonymousreply 253November 4, 2019 6:45 PM

r253 NE Ohio is vastly different than farmers markets in urban metropolitan areas. They are far more expensive than produce at the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 254November 4, 2019 6:47 PM

R254, sorry, I didn't realize that.

by Anonymousreply 255November 4, 2019 6:49 PM

My mum would always make sausages along with the liver and onions R248, so I'd just have those with gravy. I could still taste the liver though, blech.

by Anonymousreply 256November 4, 2019 6:59 PM

R174 Ah yes, LaChoy Chicken Chow Mein. We always thought and regarded that as a fancy and exotic meal. Here we were a lower middle class white family in the Midwest eating like just like kids in China. How special we thought we were.

by Anonymousreply 257November 4, 2019 7:00 PM

R234 I am laughing so hard I just peed my pants.

by Anonymousreply 258November 4, 2019 7:15 PM

My Momma was Italian and she worked which was unheard of in the 50's but necessary. She liked to think she was"modern" so she served us TV dinners, and frozen Chop Suey or beef chow mein, over rice with a can of those fried crunchy noodles. Chicken or beef pot pies were another big item. On Saturdays we had sloppy joes.

by Anonymousreply 259November 4, 2019 7:58 PM

We had a freezer in the basement, and my parents always bought big stuff on sale, so like hams and turkeys and we'd go to this wholesale place and get huge bags of chicken wings, or giant packages of ground beef. Then come home and break it up into two nights' worth of dinners in each bag. The turkey or ham we'd use, and I swear we used every big of that ham. Soup, even. Every bit. I also remember eating a lot of "breakfasts" for dinner, like waffles or pancakes, omelettes, etc because breakfast was always the cheapest meal. So hot cereal for breakfast, then pancakes and eggs for supper. I will point out, and I don't know if anyone else found this to be true, not nearly enough green vegetables were consumed. Mostly potatoes or rice.

by Anonymousreply 260November 4, 2019 8:03 PM

Meatloaf. Ugh. To this day I hate meatloaf.

by Anonymousreply 261November 4, 2019 8:04 PM

r260, we also lived out of our basement freezer. There was an outlet store that sold day old bread and we'd always have a few loaves in the freezer. Occassionally we'd get Ring Dings, Yodels or Devil Dogs, and would get to have one that night, and the rest would go in the freezer to be doled out. I liked the Devil Dogs still slightly frozen. If meat was on sale at the supermarket, my mom would get as much as she could and freeze most of it. She was a teacher so had no income from end of June until early September. We got by most of the year just fine but it was the 70s, hard recession and everyone we knew was struggling a bit. At the end of the school year my mom would get a deal from the cafeteria lady/supplier and come home with about 20 big squares of frozen school pizza. I think there were 10 pieces of pizza per square, you'd have to break off however many you were going to cook. We ate that almost every day for lunch in the summer. Washed down with HiC or iced tea made from powder. It's a wonder none of us were fat.

by Anonymousreply 262November 4, 2019 8:18 PM

Compared to most people in our town, my family was considered "rich" - but now that years have passed, looking back on it, we weren't rich at all. We just had enough money for a new car every two years and whatnot. Certainly not rich.

Yet, I was never told when money was tight, and I'm sure there were plenty of times that it was tight. But I certainly remember my mom cooking goulash or hash or BFD, or just beans and cornbread, on many occasions. Also, both my parents grew up pretty poor in the Great Depression, and I think they enjoyed having those types of meals as well, and being nostalgic.

by Anonymousreply 263November 4, 2019 8:42 PM

R263, What was in BFD? I also remember hash which I loved, lots of plain baked potatoes with perhaps a tiny bit of margarine, over cooked boiled vegetables, broiled chicken backs and necks which were cheap.

by Anonymousreply 264November 4, 2019 8:49 PM

We ate a lot of soup. Chili, and oatmeal.

by Anonymousreply 265November 4, 2019 9:35 PM

R265, Recall a sister's SDSU cultural anthropology class conducted an experiment. Participants were broke college students who agreed to duplicate Native American's basic diet of beans, corn, corn tortillas, chili peppers, and water for a period of time. Different from the NA they could eat as much as they wanted of the above food.

All lost weight and were never sick.

by Anonymousreply 266November 4, 2019 9:49 PM

My heart goes out to those of you who were hungry but I have to say many of these meals or dishes sound delicious. Some may not have been too healthy but sure do sound tasty. I guess maybe not too bad for those of you who are older since back in the day even what we consider junk food now wasn't made with really bad ingredients, even if they used lard and such, it's real food and today we know that things like butter, lard, chicken or beef fat and real cane sugar aren't nearly as bad as the Frankenfoods that have come to replace them.

by Anonymousreply 267November 4, 2019 11:24 PM

Codfish cakes, like salmon croquettes.

by Anonymousreply 268November 4, 2019 11:26 PM

Completely agree, R267. Only difference I would take is that the point many (admittedly, not all) are making is that we weren’t often truly hungry....maybe just didn’t realize the shoestring our folks were walking on to pull it together every meal.

Upthread someone talked about people complaining their kids were picky eaters (sorry, lost post #). Last night I made steak, roasted butternut squash, basmati rice, & salad (not bagged). My kids told me they “didn’t like it” and after days of reminiscing and following this thread it was all I could do to not lose my shit. They went to bed with whatever they chose to eat, and no more. And no Sunday night ice cream for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 269November 5, 2019 1:41 AM

Not a go-to MEAL, but a go-to snack when times were tough:

Minute rice with margarine and maple syrup.

by Anonymousreply 270November 5, 2019 1:43 AM

Imitation rice pudding, leftover brown rice heated in milk and served with cinnamon. Sometimes served for breakfast instead of oatmeal and milk with a few raisins or cornmeal mush or wheatina. Dry cereal was an extreme rarity as was soda. Like it had to be almost free and used for coke floats before we got to have it.

Margarine was also a rarity, butter didn't exist. Mother used a little leftover chicken fat to cook. She constantly complained about the price of "poor man's butter" or avocados which she loved mashed and spread on a corn tortilla.

by Anonymousreply 271November 5, 2019 3:42 AM

Envy those of you with mothers that didn't constantly complain about poverty. I knew from the very youngest age.

Really envy those posters who weren't always spanked for refusing to eat a certain food or meal deemed cheap and healthy. Yes 3 of my 4 sisters are way, way overweight and/or IMHO have eating disorders.

by Anonymousreply 272November 5, 2019 3:45 AM

Mother had go-to lazy meals--TV dinners, Stouffer's lasagna, french toast, grilled cheese--but not an economic necessity as far as I can tell. My favorite cheap-o meals are pizza w/ Trader Joe's pizza crust, french onion soup, salmon patties (identical recipe to crabcakes), turkey meat loaf, dutch baby pancake, shakshuka, infinite variety of pasta dishes, bread pudding, quiches

by Anonymousreply 273November 5, 2019 4:10 AM

R272 reminded me of this: "Okay, Jodie, I would never ordinarily say this, but... is there any way you can get to a pound cake?"

by Anonymousreply 274November 5, 2019 4:24 PM

My old country Polish great grandmother, when I was about 6-7 she'd make us "sangwidges" of two pieces of white bread she bought on sale, with ketchup smeared on them, and a thick slice of onion. That was it. Lunch.

by Anonymousreply 275November 5, 2019 9:35 PM

Did kids manage to eat an onion sangwidge?

by Anonymousreply 276November 5, 2019 9:36 PM

Yeah,if you drank a glass of milk with it. My uncle, her son used to throw a couple of greasy sardines in his, but they made me gag.

by Anonymousreply 277November 5, 2019 9:40 PM

Jezus Chrystus

by Anonymousreply 278November 5, 2019 9:49 PM

Stone soup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279November 6, 2019 2:45 AM

I thought perhaps our Darfur Orphan would have weighed in on this topic, but then I remembered that he doesn't have a mom.

by Anonymousreply 280November 6, 2019 12:08 PM

[quote] My uncle, her son used to throw a couple of greasy sardines in his, but they made me gag.

You're lucky your uncle wasn't throwing something else your way that might make you gag.

by Anonymousreply 281November 6, 2019 4:36 PM

R280

me neither.

I did not have a Mother.

And I was hungry..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282November 7, 2019 7:52 AM

R280

me neither.

I did not have a Mother.

And I was hungry..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283November 7, 2019 7:52 AM

R280

me neither.

I did not have a Mother.

And I was hungry..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284November 7, 2019 7:52 AM

R280

me neither.

I did not have a Mother.

And I was hungry..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285November 7, 2019 7:52 AM

R280

me neither.

I did not have a Mother.

And I was hungry..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286November 7, 2019 7:53 AM

Hmmm... Seems Muriel was backed up last night.

by Anonymousreply 287November 7, 2019 11:36 AM

Baked chicken. EVERY fucking night. This was at a time in the 80s when beef was much more expensive than chicken.

by Anonymousreply 288November 7, 2019 11:50 AM

[quote] ...when beef was much more expensive than chicken.

So your mother is still eating chicken every night, eh?

Fer chrissakes, somebody in your family should buy the old woman a steak.

by Anonymousreply 289November 7, 2019 11:59 AM

we were very lucky that way. I grew up on Long Island, my dad was an architect for the NYC Board of Ed. Mother only worked if she wanted to. That said, she was nuts but she was a great cook. She, a German Jew, could fry a chicken with the best of southern cooks. She made a great italian tomato sauce too.

My ex grew up outside Scranton and told me his dinner could be a piece of bread smeared with catsup with some government cheese on top. He said as poor as they were the family was happy...unlike mine with plenty of money and good food.

by Anonymousreply 290November 7, 2019 12:05 PM

"Mother" with no possessive adjective. Smell you!

by Anonymousreply 291November 7, 2019 2:57 PM

we always had lean times and my mother hated to cook. We always had something with ground meat on Mondays. On Wednesday we always had fried eggs for dinner. On Thursday we had spaghetti made with a dry packet of Spatini that made the sauce. We only had starch once a month. Most nights we had one serving of meat(one slice) , one serving of a vegetable (¼ cup) and one serving of a canned fruit( one piece unless it was fruit salad). we were never allowed seconds. We did have a nice roast on Sundays. It made for an extremely healthy diet but I was always hungry. I learned to fill in with chocolate which I ate a lot of and became addicted to it. At the height of my addiction I would consume 10 lbs. a week but never gained a pound from it. I still eat chocolate everyday but nothing near what I used to and it has to be milk as I don't like dark.

by Anonymousreply 292November 7, 2019 3:15 PM

She would tell cook to switch to Iranian caviar.

The children would, of course, have none of it.

by Anonymousreply 293November 7, 2019 3:17 PM

R292 you did not describe an "extremely healthy diet" at all.

by Anonymousreply 294November 7, 2019 8:25 PM

For R288. You were not alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295November 9, 2019 1:35 AM

Bump for hard times

by Anonymousreply 296March 30, 2020 7:07 AM

Fish chowder. Lots of potatoes, some onions, milk, a little flour, water, inappropriate leftover vegetables... it'd stretch less than a pound of cheap white fish to a hot meal for five people. It was one of the few things my father could cook, and he'd make it occasionally.

I kind of liked it at the time, but going to New England as an adult with a little money in my pocket was a revelation. Real haddock chowder! Made with lots of the best fresh fish, and CREAM!!! Heavenly stuff, worth the trip on its own.

by Anonymousreply 297March 30, 2020 7:29 AM

Corned beef hash patties made with canned corned beef. I loved it, actually.

Creamed tuna (white sauce) on toasted white bread. Loved that, too.

by Anonymousreply 298March 30, 2020 7:56 AM

Kraft Mac & Cheese (in the tall box) made with 2% milk and margarine, a perfectly cut wedge of iceberg lettuce with Thousand Island dressing poured on top, and canned lima beans.

Oddly, this was one of my favorite meals she made as a little kid. It was like a treat.

by Anonymousreply 299March 30, 2020 10:55 AM

[quote]What’s the big deal with Auntie Mame?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300March 30, 2020 5:03 PM

My MIL would make "frankfurter casserole" which consisted of cut up hot dogs, canned green beans, potato chunks and cream of mushroom soup. It wasn't terrible, believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 301March 30, 2020 5:04 PM

[quote]Times were so lean, we didn’t have a mom.

Did you...eat her?

by Anonymousreply 302March 30, 2020 5:04 PM

[quote]Did you...eat her?

Only on her birthday and Mother's Day.

by Anonymousreply 303March 30, 2020 6:03 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 304June 9, 2021 6:43 AM

We had a garden, so on Saturdays it was always soup with whatever came from the garden, carrots, potatoes, zucchini, celery, leek and pig trotters.

It was always delicious!

by Anonymousreply 305June 9, 2021 8:51 AM

I didn't read through all the replies but YES, my mom made tuna casserole and it was DELICIOUS with fresh vegetables from our garden. And cheap because the protein was from a can. But it was great, and i still have her from scratch recipe that my kid and grandkids love. it's a family fave and we aren't big on seafood either.

Also omelettes (breakfast for dinner!). We had chickens so lots of eggs, our own homemade sausage and vegetables from our garden. Once a week in rotation. We also had a gourmet "chef's salad" served with garden vegetables, tuna, hard boiled eggs, avocados (lived in SoCal and had an avo tree). Each week was also a make your own burrito night with a ton of veggies, beans, cheese, sour cream. That was our favorite! My parents knew how to stretch their food budget and our food was delicious and fresh. We were lucky, they were great cooks. In addition to all those mentioned, we had Greek food, Schizuan, Mexican, Italian, etc. They were gourmands and were were very lucky that they loved cooking and a very experimental palate which helped when we were hard of times (which was often).

by Anonymousreply 306June 9, 2021 9:24 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 307January 4, 2022 11:25 PM

she'd raise utility pigeons. they were more economical than chickens plus occasionally convincing the butchers to buy some off her. usually so she could buy groceries for the things we couldn't sell or raise. we did have a couple times we had to rely on public commodities, though. but usually when that happened, it was wide spread and so, not uncommmon we'd take some of the neigbhoorhood kids some nights and other nights we'd eat at their place.

by Anonymousreply 308January 4, 2022 11:46 PM

I still love dinners featuring tomato soup and grilled cheese, tuna noodle casserole, french toast, stuffed cabbage or peppers, meatloaf, and salmon cakes. These were foods my depression baby mother grew up with and made for us with quality ingredients.

Use Ina's recipe for a good salmon cake and stuffed cabbage rolls. Try "Meatloaf of the Gods" for delicious meatloaf. J. Kenji López-Alt has a great recipe for tuna casserole. I add a little cheese to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309January 5, 2022 12:25 AM

Eggs & sliced potatoes omelet. It was actually decent.

by Anonymousreply 310January 5, 2022 12:28 AM

Two packs of Herbert Tareyton, a bottomless 7&7, and bitterness.

by Anonymousreply 311January 5, 2022 12:29 AM

Rice and an egg. We always had greens in the garden.

by Anonymousreply 312January 5, 2022 3:46 AM

We were never poor.

by Anonymousreply 313January 5, 2022 3:47 AM

This thread is about 2 years old. I had never seen it until last night, and I read the whole thing. Fascinating, to put it mildly. I wish there was a way on this site to "save" threads, or make a little cache to keep favorites in. It seems like it would be easily doable.

by Anonymousreply 314January 5, 2022 2:17 PM

R176 asshole,my parents were democrats and they LIKE EVERYONE ELSE were ashamed at taking charity. Nowadays people scam to get on it. Too bad the embarressment FADED. I am not the poster u were making fun of you clueless ass

by Anonymousreply 315January 5, 2022 3:31 PM

1 box of macaroni and cheese+ a can of tuna + a handful of frozen peas. It's like a one pot tuna casserole.

by Anonymousreply 316January 12, 2022 4:41 AM

I don't really remember having "struggle meals." Then again, the first 3 or 4 years of my life, my mother collected food stamps (I remember seeing them in a cup on the kitchen counter). So I guess, technically every meal was a "struggle meal" when I'd visit her on the weekends.

Oh, also, I was raised by my grandmother for the first 10 years of my life because my mother had to finish school because she was a teen mom, and her mom, apparently, didn't feel "comfortable" with me staying with my father because he was on parole and "about that life" at the time.

Funny how they both ended up becoming college-educated professionals because, I swear, they had all the right ingredients to grow up to become complete fuck-ups. According to my mother, getting pregnant motivated her to finish school otherwise she was going to drop out. She has 3 Master's degrees, now. So, it all worked out, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 317January 12, 2022 5:01 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 318May 30, 2022 3:24 AM

Alpo wet food, a friend of the family turned her on to it. This guy didn't even need to do this, he was just cheap, as were my parents.

by Anonymousreply 319May 30, 2022 3:51 AM

We weren’t poor but my parents both worked and were alcoholics so food didn’t seem much of a priority. And mom never ever bought good stuff for snacks. No chips, cookies, candy, soda, canned stuff like ravioli or spaghetti-os…. Once in a while ice milk, specifically ice milk not cream. I remember always being hungry because not much between meals. We had a lot of boil-in-bags when that was thing for dinner. Funny cuz me, my dad, and brother were all foodies.

by Anonymousreply 320May 30, 2022 5:24 AM

Chili brick and hotdogs

by Anonymousreply 321May 30, 2022 5:38 AM

R319 your parents served you dog food?

by Anonymousreply 322May 30, 2022 6:43 AM

R319 R322 hahahah seriously

by Anonymousreply 323May 30, 2022 6:53 AM

Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches for dinner. That's when bacon was cheap.

by Anonymousreply 324June 3, 2022 9:06 PM

Earrings

Caftans

Gin

Regret

by Anonymousreply 325June 3, 2022 9:08 PM

Cabbage and ham.

by Anonymousreply 326June 3, 2022 9:50 PM

My mom would make mashed potatoes with hamburger (or beef mince) gravy. With onions, I think. I wonder what it would taste like now.

by Anonymousreply 327June 3, 2022 10:17 PM

^That reminds me of SOS (shit on a shingle). It was hamburger gravy on toast.

by Anonymousreply 328June 3, 2022 10:18 PM

Remember those boil in a bag meals they used to carry in the freezer section? They came with roast beef or turkey in gravy, you'd pour them over toast or mashed potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 329June 3, 2022 10:22 PM

Well we first had to play rock papers scissor. You know to determine who was gna eat that day at all.

by Anonymousreply 330June 3, 2022 10:30 PM

Coronation Chicken

Fresh Scottish Salmon

Bombe Glacée Royale

Venison with mushroom whisky sauce

Gleneagles pâté

Crème Brulee with Sandringham oranges

by Anonymousreply 331June 3, 2022 10:33 PM

Tuna noodle casserole, or Salmon croquettes with white sauce and some frozen mixed vegetables. Oh. And Pasta. We ate lots of Pasta with Italian sausage.

by Anonymousreply 332June 3, 2022 10:41 PM

Cereal with water. NEVER AGAIN.

by Anonymousreply 333June 3, 2022 10:51 PM

Beans and tortillas. I still can't eat the two of them together.

by Anonymousreply 334June 3, 2022 11:23 PM

Campbell's chicken noodle soups. Buy them in bulk when they're on sale. Great for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 335June 3, 2022 11:28 PM

I grew up on a farm, one of eight kids. My dad worked two jobs so we rarely saw him. Even on the weekends he would be working on the farm. We always had fresh vegetables, salads. Here are some of my moms specials.

She would make two pots of chili. My dad liked spaghetti in his chili, so one would have spaghetti and one would be made without. Lasted about three days.

She would make a huge pot of pinto beans with crumbled bacon slices. Cornbread. Sliced tomato and onion on the side.

I remember having cinnamon toast for dessert. White bread with butter and cinnamon toasted over an oven rack until crunchy. She would also take any leftover pie crust, roll it out, sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar, and put it in to bake along with the pie. I loved that. Also, Cherry Jello with whatever stale cookies she had. It was all mixed together to form in the mold. When she sliced it, she topped it with Cool Whip. Delicious.

When I was growing up, we were not poor but we were not rich either. My Dad had a good union job, and ran a working farm on top of that. We always had enough, but no extras. I don't remember my Mom and Dad ever going away on vacation. They saved their money. I wish they had spent the money on themselves. They left money and property to be split up, had a will, and still there were fights over the estate.

by Anonymousreply 336June 4, 2022 12:11 AM

Times were lean?

by Anonymousreply 337June 4, 2022 12:18 AM

R324, Are you Swedish? Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are common in Sweden.

by Anonymousreply 338June 4, 2022 1:24 AM

I have Swedish ancestry but I thought pb and bacon was a southern thing. I grew up in the Ozarks.

by Anonymousreply 339June 4, 2022 1:45 AM

Cinnamon toast was always a go to any timet, etc. Oatmeal. We had a lot of apples, oanges, bananas, nothing else tho. Once in a while a few pears. Lots of canned peaches and friut cocktail. Ma would bake a 9x9 square tea cake and put canned fruit on it. Oh. We had a LOT of peanut butter, peanut butter and bananas, peanut butter toast, peanut butter and jelly. We never had cold cuts. We had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, or tuna or tomato sandwiches, or grilled cheese. With Velveeta.

by Anonymousreply 340June 4, 2022 2:34 AM

Discarded tampons called "jelly rolls"

by Anonymousreply 341June 4, 2022 2:37 AM

Rice with fried eggs and tomatoes salad.

by Anonymousreply 342June 4, 2022 2:49 AM

Tuna casserole. The only thing canned we used was tuna...my mom made the creamy roux sauce instead of using cream of mushroom sou., Diced onion, frozen peas/carrots, celery seed, rotini (usually, depends on what noodle I have on hand, but NOT spaghetti or wide flat noodles and a little thyme.

It was/is delicious and I introduced 2 generations to it. It's a crowd-pleaser and requested at least yearly.

by Anonymousreply 343June 4, 2022 2:51 AM

R10

[quote]Because back then people had pride

She’d rather starve than work? Who was this woman? Peg Bundy?

by Anonymousreply 344June 4, 2022 2:52 AM

This is a terrific thread, one of DL's "greatest hits" IMO. I guess I ought to figure out a way to copy it and preserve it. I've sent links to it to quite a few non-Dataloungers. It was a real shock of a read, "educational."

by Anonymousreply 346September 12, 2022 3:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!