Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

UK Xmas Election Thread

So it has Jeremy’s backing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412December 17, 2019 3:15 PM

[quote]Sheer madness to hold a General Election in December & on Boris Johnson’s agenda!

[quote]I hear Labour frontbenchers & whips resigning over decision to vote for December election.

What. A. Mess. The Tories will clean this up, won't they?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 29, 2019 12:39 PM

Isn’t that what May thought, R1?

And then she didn’t?

by Anonymousreply 2October 29, 2019 12:44 PM

r2 Did her party have a 16% lead in the polls at the time she thought that, as they do now?

by Anonymousreply 3October 29, 2019 12:57 PM

For non-Brits who are wondering--where will this lead?

by Anonymousreply 4October 29, 2019 1:49 PM

Things are so messy right now, it's impossible to say. And the Speaker Bercow is leaving on Thursday as well, leaving the post to a rookie.

We need to get that date of the election fixed first (that will maybe happen today), and then we need to see the results of that election. It'll be easier to speculate about the future of Brexit at that point.

by Anonymousreply 5October 29, 2019 1:57 PM

r2 Theresa May was a malfunctioning android who ran an unpopular election campaign based on raising taxes on the elderly., and She still won. Boris Johnson is the most naked populist leader the country has ever had. We're fucked.

by Anonymousreply 6October 29, 2019 1:59 PM

I was very impressed by how British politicians--even some Conservatives--stood up to Johnson and defied him. If only they would that in the US.

by Anonymousreply 7October 29, 2019 2:02 PM

If he handily wins this election, you might not see much of that anymore, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 8October 29, 2019 2:10 PM

I sure hope he doesn't. What a moron. Not like our moron here in the States but still.

by Anonymousreply 9October 29, 2019 2:19 PM

I wish we were having a second referendum instead of an election.

When Corbyn loses, surely that'll be the end for him? He can't possibly stay after losing two general elections in two and a half years.

by Anonymousreply 10October 29, 2019 2:25 PM

R5 - Bercow is going (thank god) but it's hardly a rookie taking over. It will either be Sir Lindsay Hoyle, who has been a very capable deputy speaker, or Harriet Harman who has 35 years of parliamentary experience.

Bercow has been a corrupting influence in Parliament - his own bullying of officials and the cover up of sleaze and bullying by hus friends, namely Keith Vaz, washing machine salesman.

by Anonymousreply 11October 29, 2019 2:44 PM

Corbyn greatly improved Labour in May’s election, right?

by Anonymousreply 12October 29, 2019 3:46 PM

[quote]Corbyn greatly improved Labour in May’s election, right?

It was more a case of May's appalling election campaign greatly improving Labour.

Corbyn remains the most unpopular leader of the opposition in history.

by Anonymousreply 13October 29, 2019 4:27 PM

Still, next to Johnson, he's Disraeli.

by Anonymousreply 14October 29, 2019 4:46 PM

36 per cent of people planned to support the Tories, while only 23 per cent would back Labour, 18 per cent the Lib Dems and 12 per cent Nigel Farage‘s Brexit Party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 29, 2019 9:55 PM

R15 I'm surprised ANYONE is supporting Labour. The ONE issue for this election is Brexit, nothing else matters. If you support Brexit your only choice is the Tories or the Brexit party, Tories if you want a softer Brexit and the Brexit Party if you want a harder version. If you don't support Brexit, but you do support the United Kingdom your only real choice is the Lib Dems. And, if you are against Brexit but for Scottish independence your choice is SNP. A vote for Labour is just a vote for continued limbo and dysfunction.

by Anonymousreply 16October 29, 2019 10:00 PM

We shouldn’t be having another election on the Brexit deal, we should be having a vote on whether to go ahead with Johnson’s deal or revoke article 50. I fear the worst, but I’m not prepared for it. I can’t bear the thought of endless more years of Conservative rule, where they strip us of our rights, fuck over the poor and the vulnerable, and continue to line their own back pockets.

I just feel completely deflated and defeated. There’s no escape from this insanity, and it feels like we’re going around in fucking circles time and time again, It’s days like today that I wish I dad someone to snuggle up to in bed so that I can forget about all this bollocks.

I might get a dog. x

by Anonymousreply 17October 29, 2019 10:31 PM

Dogs are a natural antidepressant, R17. Definitely get one!

by Anonymousreply 18October 29, 2019 11:05 PM

OK R18, I will! What shall I call (s)him? x

by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2019 11:14 PM

Dataloungina, obviously, R19!

by Anonymousreply 20October 30, 2019 8:42 PM

[quote]Tories hold 16-point lead over Labour, according to poll

[quote]Lead would be enough to give Boris Johnson’s Conservatives comfortable majority

What a disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 3, 2019 5:35 PM

Not so fast... "Double trouble for Boris"

"Boris Johnson faces a double threat to his Downing Street hopes today — a new poll shows Labour has enjoyed a bounce in support since the election campaign began, and remain parties have finalised an electoral pact to thwart him. A YouGov survey for The Sunday Times found that Labour had gained six points between Wednesday and Friday. Jeremy Corbyn’s party is now on 27%, 12 points behind the Tories, while the Liberal Democrats have slipped three points to just 16%. The Conservatives have gained three points, in part because support for Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party has nearly halved, from 13% to 7%, since the campaign began.

A second poll, by ORB International, gave the Tories just an eight-point lead, with Labour gaining ground on 28%. A third, by Opinium, gave the Tories a 16-point lead — suggesting public opinion is volatile.

The prospect of the campaign becoming a two-horse race with Labour will unnerve Conservative strategists, whose hopes of a majority are based on the Lib Dems splitting the remain vote. A senior Tory said: “There are two things that will stop a Tory majority — a Labour squeeze on the Lib Dems or industrial-scale tactical voting.”

In an effort to deny Johnson a majority, the Lib Dems, Plaid Cymru and Green Party are set to reveal as early as Tuesday a remain pact in up to 60 seats. The plan will see two of the parties standing down to give the third a free run in key seats. Yesterday, the Lib Dems agreed to stand aside for the Greens in the Isle of Wight. They are also expected to do so in Brighton Pavilion, the seat held by the Green Party’s Caroline Lucas, and in Broxtowe to help Anna Soubry, the former Tory minister who is leader of the Independent Group for Change.

The moves are being coordinated by a group called Unite to Remain, which is backed by the millionaire Julian Dunkerton, the co-founder of the clothing company Superdry. It has a war chest of about £5m to co-ordinate anti-Brexit activities in 50 seats."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 3, 2019 6:31 PM

r22 Encouraging. Truly hoping Johnson can be thwarted in the end.

by Anonymousreply 23November 3, 2019 6:44 PM

Labour will never be in power again until they drop the far Left Marxist crap, Corbyn and their Jew hatred.

by Anonymousreply 24November 4, 2019 5:19 AM

Anyone who thinks Corbyn will lead the Labour party to remaining in the European Union will read this and shudder.

The man hates the EU more than he hates Jews, and that's a lot of hate.

He wants Brexit, and he will facilitate his version of Brexit given the chance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 4, 2019 6:48 AM

The Brexit party needs to stand down to help free the UK from the EU.

by Anonymousreply 26November 4, 2019 6:56 AM

"Free" from the EU... and right into the hands of China and the US. Wonderful.

I don't know about you, but I certainly know which bloc I'd like to be a part of right now.

by Anonymousreply 27November 4, 2019 10:59 AM

I hate Boris, but I want him to get his majority so this Brexit madness can finally end. It's been three fucking years. I can't even watch the BBC anymore.

by Anonymousreply 28November 4, 2019 11:06 AM

[quote]When Corbyn loses, surely that'll be the end for him? He can't possibly stay after losing two general elections in two and a half years.

Labour bigoted scum . . . erm. . . faithful absolutely LOVE their Jew-hating leader. After all, they voted for him as leader. TWICE!

by Anonymousreply 29November 4, 2019 11:22 AM

R28 The BBC is very unwatcheable with all their woke, elitist, sanctimonious social engineering.

by Anonymousreply 30November 4, 2019 11:37 AM

The Right screams that the BBC is left wing. The Left screams the BBC is right wing. lmao

by Anonymousreply 31November 4, 2019 2:58 PM

And some loons here see Corbyn as a "Jew hater." Zzzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 32November 4, 2019 4:01 PM

Can't believe they're about to elect that blubbering Hoyle as their next Speaker. Total charisma void. But whatever, we have bigger fish to fry right now.

by Anonymousreply 33November 4, 2019 5:57 PM

R33 Go to the movies if you want charisma! Or go to your church!

Out parliamentarians are supposed to be men of wisdom responsible for handling OUR money.

by Anonymousreply 34November 4, 2019 8:30 PM

Corbyn is a slime ball cunt who cannot look directly at a camera. He’s dangerous and is delighted to get Brexit at a remove.

by Anonymousreply 35November 4, 2019 9:02 PM

R32 is one of the "Where's the evidence" trolls who appears whenever there's another Labour person is found out sharing or spreading Jew hate.

He's led his party to being investigated by the Equality & Human Rights Commission for racism against Jews. Whistle blowers who have worked for the party have handed the EHRC vast amounts of evidence, only a fraction of which has made its way into the media.

A poll earlier this year showed that 87% of British Jews think Corbyn is a racist.

Half of Labour's female Jewish MPs have left the party, blaming him for overseeing a culture of Jew hate.

This is the man who travelled to North Africa to lay a wreath at the graves of the men who planned the Munich Olympic massacre of Jewish athletes.

But yeah, the people who don't want him in power are loons.

by Anonymousreply 36November 4, 2019 9:52 PM

[quote]And some loons here see Corbyn as a "Jew hater." Zzzzzzzz.

Fuck off, antisemite!

by Anonymousreply 37November 4, 2019 10:19 PM

Anyone who thinks Corbyn and Labour isn't antisemetic has outed themselves as both a dope and an antisemite. Corbyn also supports terrorists. He's a pos who should be sitting in a jail cell.

by Anonymousreply 38November 4, 2019 10:20 PM

How did the Labour Party go from being wonderful and inspiring a century ago down to this vile, welfare-ridden, slimy-bottomed, Hydra-headed mess?

George Bernard Shaw and Virginia Woolf supported the Labour Party a century ago.

by Anonymousreply 39November 5, 2019 12:41 AM

Wikipedia:

Corbyn is a patron of the Palestinian Solidarity Campaign[65] and had campaigned extensively for Palestinian rights during his 32 years as a backbencher.[66] In August 2015, as Jeremy Corbyn emerged as a front-runner in the Labour Party leadership election, The Jewish Chronicle devoted its front page to seven questions regarding Corbyn's associations with those it described as "Holocaust deniers, terrorists and some outright antisemites", although Corbyn said he met with them in his search for peace in the Middle East.[67] These included his relationship with Islamist organisations Hezbollah and Hamas, organisations that Corbyn called "friends" (although he has stated he disagrees with their views);[68] and his failure to object to what the Chronicle described as antisemitic banners and posters that "dominate" the London Quds Day rallies supported by the organisation, Stop the War Coalition, of which Corbyn was national chair from 2011 to 2015.[69] Two of the questions related to "Deir Yassin Remembered", an organisation commemorating the massacre of over 100 Palestinian villagers in 1948 and founded by Holocaust denier Paul Eisen.[70][71][72][73] Up to 2013, Jeremy Corbyn and Jewish Labour MP Gerald Kaufman[74] attended "two or three" of the group's annual events. However, Corbyn has said that this had taken place before Eisen had made his views known publicly, and that he would not have associated with him had he known.[75] It was reported that Eisen's views were known in 2005 and that he had written an essay on his website in 2008 entitled "My life as a Holocaust denier".[76][77][78]

Labour MP Diane Abbott defended Corbyn by calling his critics part of a "Westminster elite" afraid of Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda.[79] 47 prominent Jewish activists, including Laurence Dreyfus, Selma James, Miriam Margolyes, Ilan Pappé, Michael Rosen and Avi Shlaim were signatories to a letter criticising The Jewish Chronicle's reporting of Corbyn's association with alleged antisemites.[80]

by Anonymousreply 40November 5, 2019 12:39 PM

Jeremy Corbyn is just so unlucky that so many of the people he's associated with since he was first elected as an MP in 1983 turned out to be manic Jew haters who want Israel to cease to exist.

So so very unlucky.

by Anonymousreply 41November 5, 2019 2:47 PM

And what would be the reason there's such antisemitism in the British government's Labour Party? It seems odd to me, this allegation it's rampant. And joining the other party is the answer? That's as if certain high-placed Democrats in the US were accused of the very same thing and Jews flocked to the Republicans. Some Jews have done that, of course, but they're what I call Israel firsters.

And of course, it's a myth Republicans care more for Jews, but they've pretended they're great friends to Israel.

by Anonymousreply 42November 5, 2019 2:54 PM

R42 = Diehard Labour supporter, who accepts Labour's/Britain's Jew hatred as a "lesser evil", much like Germans accepted Hitler as a "lesser evil" to Communisim.

by Anonymousreply 43November 5, 2019 3:12 PM

The Labour Party under Corbyn hates Jews for 3 main reasons.

1. The old trope that they're rich, money obsessed and manipulative - see Corbyn's approval of the Nazi esque mural that was painted in London featuring hook nosed bankers

2. The idea that Jews are the elite and not a minority worthy of legal protection alongside citizens of African or Asian heritage. See Labour candidate Zarah Sultana's comments where she dismisses Jews as "white" - this is a common view of the left which obsesses about identity politics.

3. Israel - many on the left who see themselves as anti West, anti imperialist, view Jewish people as white European colonisers, people who have no roots in the holy land. British Jews are regularly held accountable for the actions of Israel in a way that Pakistani and Indian Britains aren't asked to justify Kashmir.

This article sums up the current Labour party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 5, 2019 3:18 PM

[quote]British Jews are regularly held accountable for the actions of Israel in a way that Pakistani and Indian Britains aren't asked to justify Kashmir.

Or Muslim terror, Muslim Jew hatred, or oppression of women (should Muslim women be allowed to drive on Radio 4, anyone?). And the less said about thousands of returning DAESH jihadis the better. The British media have gone and go to extraordinary lengths to coddle, protect and defend Muslims, socially inculcating positive images and thoughts about Muslims. Something that would never happen in the case of Jews.

by Anonymousreply 45November 5, 2019 3:37 PM

Labour cannot be rehabilitated until it removes not only bigoted scum Corbyn, but every single bigoted scum Labour member who voted for and supports Corbyn.

by Anonymousreply 46November 5, 2019 3:39 PM

And this sums up The Jewish Chronicle regarding Jeremy Corbyn, via Wikipedia:

In August 2015, dozens of prominent Jewish activists signed an open letter criticising the paper for what they viewed as its "character assassination" of Corbyn. They wrote: "Your assertion that your attack on Jeremy Corbyn is supported by 'the vast majority of British Jews' is without foundation. We do not accept that you speak on behalf of progressive Jews in this country. You speak only for Jews who support Israel, right or wrong." They continued, "There is something deeply unpleasant and dishonest about your McCarthyite guilt by association technique. Jeremy Corbyn's parliamentary record over 32 years has consistently opposed all racism including antisemitism." Signatories to the letter included Laurence Dreyfus, Selma James, Miriam Margolyes, Ilan Pappé, Michael Rosen and Avi Shlaim."

by Anonymousreply 47November 5, 2019 4:22 PM

R47 Jew haters just love self-loathing Jews who reconfirm and reinforce their Jew hatred. You see? Those Jews prove me right!

Well, here's a WASP former LABOUR PM who proves you wrong.

5 Nov 2019

"“Let me be frank, there is going to be a complete battle in the Labour Party because [of] what has happened over these past years – particularly over anti-Semitism,” Blair said.

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair said anti-Semitism in Labour is “absolutely killing the party,” in an address to the Board of Deputies of British Jews on Monday, The Daily Mail reports. Blair said voters on Dec. 12 will vote in a “non-tribal way,” which if proven correct, [bold]will mean a rout for Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, who is largely held responsible for the rise of anti-Semitism in party ranks.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 48November 5, 2019 4:32 PM

If the pro Corbyn racist troll thinks there's no issue with Jew hate in Labour and that Jews are faking their outrage, what is their motive?

Why are Jews being so manipulative to try and fool the general public into showing them empathy and solidarity they don't deserve?

Is it because Corbyn wants to make the rich pay more?

by Anonymousreply 49November 5, 2019 4:46 PM

Jeremy Corbyn looks like shit!

Is he dying of cancer or something?

by Anonymousreply 50November 5, 2019 4:46 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 5, 2019 4:52 PM

r51, you posted a link to the Independent, a paper even Datalounge dismisses with a disclaimer regarding the "terrible articles" of that source.

by Anonymousreply 52November 5, 2019 5:19 PM

"If the pro Corbyn racist troll thinks there's no issue with Jew hate in Labour..."

No, R49, I don't think there's no issue with "Jew hate" in Labour, and you know it, or don't you? I'm questioning with real susicion this anti-semite slurs being personally directed at Corbyn.

I'm American, by the way--so how could I seriously be a "pro-Corbyn troll"? I just question any point of view that's virulently hostile to progressives or the Left, anywhere in the world, because there's usually an agenda.

by Anonymousreply 53November 5, 2019 5:23 PM

You could be given all the evidence available of Corbyn's life long association with jew haters, jew killers, holocaust deniers and holocaust revisionists and still say it's a smear.

For example, on Holocast Memorial Day, he hosted an event in Parliament called 'The Misuse of the Holocaust for Political Purposes'. It doesn't matter that an Auschwitz survivor was the guest, that it happened is appalling, and that it took place on Holocaust Memorial Day shows the man's true intentions.

But yeah, Jews have an agenda trying to smear "progressives".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 5, 2019 7:13 PM

And the Independent link is to an article by Howard Jacobson, one of Britain's most respected writers, taking issue with Corbyn supporter Miriam Margolyes over her use of racist stereotypes about Jews.

It's from 5 years ago, long before anyone out of the Westminster bubble had heard of Corbyn.

by Anonymousreply 55November 5, 2019 7:20 PM

Who said "smear"? I didn't, r54.

by Anonymousreply 56November 5, 2019 8:39 PM

Sorry, I used the word smear, you used the word slur.

You think Jews are SLURRING Corbyn with false accusations of Jew hate, not SMEARING him.

by Anonymousreply 57November 5, 2019 9:26 PM

It is a slur to call him an anti-Semite if you don't have real, hard evidence he personally is. I'm also pointing out, based on what I've dug up, that the Jewish Chronicle has a bias.

What any of this has to do with the the original message of the thread I don't know. It seems like another case of someone derailing a thread with their own agenda--whether its anti-Meghan and Harry, or allegations of Corbyn being a Jew hater, or crazy trans loons. They're all the same.

by Anonymousreply 58November 5, 2019 9:56 PM

*crazy ANTI-trans loons

( I meant.)

by Anonymousreply 59November 5, 2019 9:57 PM

Don’t forget Corbyn history of supporting the IRA and Hamas.

by Anonymousreply 60November 5, 2019 10:00 PM

If he was blatantly all those things, then either the British look the other way or they're stupid not to railroad him from public life. Where was Stephen Fry or Glenda Jackson, or Christopher Hitchens before he died, in their condemnation of such an obvious villain? That's why I don't buy all these charges--he's a Jew hater, he supports terrorism everywhere from Ireland to the Middle East, etc.

Anyway, I'm done contributing to railroading this thread. I will say this, though: the rabid Israel firsters in the US would rather support Republicans and Trump because of their lips service to Israel than think of the greater good of the US.

by Anonymousreply 61November 5, 2019 10:21 PM

Earlier in this thread I posted

[quote][R32] is one of the "Where's the evidence" trolls who appears whenever there's another Labour person is found out sharing or spreading Jew hate.

Despite all the evidence available about Corbyn's associations with jew haters, jew killers and his own comments about Jews, the poster again asks for hard evidence, yet has not once answered what motivates Jews to lie about him, if he really is an anti racist.

I can imagine this poster during Kristallnacht peering out his window and saying "I bet the Jews have organised this themselves to claim on the insurance"

by Anonymousreply 62November 6, 2019 4:49 AM

Anyway, for anyone outside the UK who wants to keep an eye on what's happening, the following journalists are worth following:

Stephen Bush - @stephenkb

Katy Balls - @katyballs

Rafael Baer - @rafaelbehr

Marina Hyde - @marinahyde

Isabel Hardman -@isabelhardman

Hugo Rifkind - @hugorifkind

Sam Coates - @SamCoatesSky

Paul Brand - @PaulBrandITV

Laura Kuenssberg - @bbclaurak

and for updates on polling follow @BritainElects

by Anonymousreply 63November 6, 2019 5:18 AM

Ever since 1190, when the people of York herded Jews into a tower and burned them alive, Jew hatred is so entrenched in Brit culture and history that it's part and parcel of being a Brit. Corbyn, Labour and their appalling supports on this thread and elsewhere are simply more of the same.

by Anonymousreply 64November 6, 2019 5:42 AM

^^^deplorable supporters^^^

by Anonymousreply 65November 6, 2019 5:43 AM

Even if there was anti-semitism in Labour ranks - which there patently is not, evidenced by the fact that you need to dredge up some Middle Ages covfefe to support your claim - WHO GIVES A SHIT? Bitch, I would vote for a homophobe if that homophobe was a Remainer. This is the UK, not L.A. or Israel - the future of 65 million people is at stake and you're wasting your time on imagined slights against some minority, give me a fucking break. I know it's hard to fathom this, but it's not all about the Jews or the gays all the damn time.

Anyway, in actual news in our actual reality...

[quote]Lib Dems, Greens and Plaid Cymru reveal remain election pact

[quote]Parties agree to stand aside in more than 60 seats to avoid splitting remainers’ vote

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2019 2:52 PM

Has this clueless egomaniac actually run numbers that indicate her personal appeal actually enhances her normally sensible political party? Get over yourself. I hope the SNP takes her seat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2019 3:03 PM

R66, you're exactly right.

by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2019 4:03 PM

R66 is going to have a heart attack when the Equality & Human Rights Commission produces its report into Jew hate in the Labour party.

In Labour's Jew hate news TODAY:

- Chris Williamson (described by Corbyn as a very good man) is banned from standing as an MP as he's still suspended by the party for Jew hate, and announced he'll stand as an independent candidate, making it more likely that the Tories will win that seat.

- a candidate in Scotland withdraws for Jew hate posts

- a former Labour MP and advisor to the last Labour Prime Minister- the son of a man who' escaped the Nazis and who's family were murdered in Treblinka - encourages Labour voters to support the Conservatives

-a Labour candidate's Twitter posts have shown her arguing that Jewish students were paid by Israel, calling Jewish people "whitey" and insisting she can't be racist because she's Asian.

Come back tomorrow for more Labour Jew hate!

Of course the Tories have had more scandal, and have rightfully sacked a candidate who ridiculed rape victims.

Labour hates Jews, the Tories hate women, black people, poor people, the disabled.

There are only 650 parliamentary seats yet the main parties can't find people who aren't complete and utter cranks to represent the party.

by Anonymousreply 69November 7, 2019 9:48 PM

Another Labour candidate bites the dust

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 8, 2019 3:51 PM

Another Labour candidate bites the dust

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 8, 2019 3:51 PM

Is he an anti Zionist or anti Jew? There is a difference

by Anonymousreply 72November 8, 2019 4:15 PM

Was Shylock a Zionist? He denies saying that about a Jewish cabinet member, has no comment on his use of (presumably - since Sky didn't print them) "Nigger" and "Paki" and yet he stood down from running.

Are you unconcerned about his use of any of those pejoratives? Or seeking to excuse them by asking if he's anti anti-Zionist rather than antisemitic? Sounds like a racist asshole to me, but YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 73November 8, 2019 5:19 PM

[quote] WHO GIVES A SHIT? Bitch, I would vote for a homophobe if that homophobe was a Remainer.

As someone who doesn't live in the EU, but has studied and followed the news about it for years, I don't understand why people, like you, are so attached to it. Could you please explain why?

by Anonymousreply 74November 8, 2019 6:00 PM

R74 I’m a Remainer. I want EU standards for good health human rights freedom to travel and since integration as it now is have travelled and feel a citizen of the EU. I don’t want USA dog eat dog capitalism where everything is privatized. I can live and work anywhere in the EU and avail of healthcare services in any EU state. There is also safety in numbers.

by Anonymousreply 75November 8, 2019 6:35 PM

I'm a Remainer too and think the EU has been a stabilising force for good but I don't think any amount of hatred directed at a minority is worth staying in the EU *at any cost*.

The Labour Party has embraced institutional hate against Jewish people, reviving tropes about controlling the world, being motivated solely by money and the idea that British Jews have more loyalty to Israel than the UK. The question of why all these candidates having to stand down because of their hatred of Jews were selected in the first place is obvious - they represent the current Labour Party.

And the problem the Tories have with their candidates is the same - they hate poor people, women, black people and muslims.

If you want to stay in the EU and aren't obsessed with Jews, then there's the LIberal Democrats and the Greens in England, and then the SNP and Plaid in Scotland and Wales.

Voting for Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong campaigner against the European Union, is not the answer. Remember this is the man who surrounds himself with people who voted to Leave the EU, and who wants to end freedom of movement.

by Anonymousreply 76November 8, 2019 7:06 PM

R18 - I'm getting a dog. You helped me along the way in making my decision, so thanks. x

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 8, 2019 7:39 PM

Glad to hear it, R77! Have fun with your new pal.

by Anonymousreply 78November 8, 2019 8:29 PM

[quote]A spokesperson for Carden said: “Daniel Carden has been a committed campaigner in support of LGBT rights and against all forms of racism and hatred, his entire political life. As a homosexual man he would never intentionally engage in homophobic, racist or anti-Semitic behaviour. Had there been genuine concerns as to Daniel’s behaviour then those concerns should have been raised at the time rather than some 20 months later on the eve of a general election.

Now of course, if he'd sung HEY ZIONISTS instead of HEY JEWS it would all have been fine.

The MP calling someone a poof is more shocking , especially as he's from Northern Ireland and has been instrumental in passing the law to introduce same sex marriage there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 9, 2019 1:40 PM

Why are so many "woke" Labour activists anti-Semites? It's just weird.

by Anonymousreply 80November 9, 2019 2:32 PM

R80 It isn't just "woke" Labour activists, it is a blind spot among "woke" Leftists throughout the western world.

by Anonymousreply 81November 9, 2019 7:23 PM

I take a peek in this thread for any update on the polls or something else to do with the election at hand, but no... people still on the conspiracy stuff, like a dog with a bone. Just what the Russian doctor ordered. 😩

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 9, 2019 8:08 PM

[quote] Why are so many "woke" Labour activists anti-Semites? It's just weird.

Because they see them as part of the elite.

by Anonymousreply 83November 10, 2019 1:27 PM

The Labour Party was the victim of a cyber assault today, with an attack trying to take it off line.

There was a real dilemma for Labour MPs who didn't know whether to blame Russia, disaffected Blairites, MI5 or those pesky Jews.

by Anonymousreply 84November 12, 2019 5:40 PM

Some seem to be blaming Russia, which is a joke. Does anyone actually believe Russia doesn’t want Corbyn in No 10?

by Anonymousreply 85November 12, 2019 5:46 PM

Silly Corbyn was evoking Socialism today. He said everything would be under control under Socialism.

by Anonymousreply 86November 12, 2019 7:57 PM

A more nuanced perspective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 14, 2019 2:22 AM

A more nuanced perspective to Christine Blaisey Ford's testimony

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 14, 2019 7:46 AM

As it plays out, it all points to a crushing defeat for Labor.

Who's to blame? Corbyn?

I lay blame at the feet of the membership. They seemed to have been hopelessly overtaken by the radical left of the party.

They chose the wrong Milliband brother. Result-crushing defeat.

What do they do then? Let's go even more left and pick Corbyn. he couldn't even beat a hopeless candidate like Theresa May.

This election result-likely crushing defeat again.

What then?

As a Labor parliamentarian I'd be inclined to break away from the traditional party and start again. Call yourself Labor whatever.

Begin a new membership drive and get rid of these ultra left wing dolts who place ideology over actually winning and doing something in Government.

by Anonymousreply 89November 14, 2019 7:56 AM

R89 - remember Change UK?

I voted for them in the European elections rather than my usual preference for the Lib Dems, simply because Luciana, Chuka, Heidi, Anna etc had the courage to walk away from their racist parties that were consumed by awful ideology.

It didn't work per se, but it did revitalise and help massively to boost the detoxification of the Lib Dems.

Labour is a ruined brand where some of its high profile champions are trying to romanticise communism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 14, 2019 8:10 AM

R88, that's not even approaching an analogy.

by Anonymousreply 91November 14, 2019 12:18 PM

Massive divisions in the Labour Party over immigration policy and movement of people, while the Tories are disgracefully going down the curb immigration road, in the unsafe hands of Priti Patel, of Ugandan Indian heritage.

Len McCluskey, gammon incarnate and head of the biggest union, wants to end free movement and is on the WHITE WORKING CLASS trail, blaming them forrinners for coming over here and taking our jobs and lowering our wages, but Diane Abbott wants more progressive policies and more legal rights for migrants as supported by most of the party.

Hunch is that Corbyn will do what he's told by Gammon McGammonface and humilate his ex girlfriend Big D once more.

by Anonymousreply 92November 14, 2019 10:06 PM

Sunday morning - Corbyn repeatedly refuses to say whether he wants to remain in the UK or to leave on the terms he negotiates with the EU.

The polls released over the weekend all show The Tories well ahead.

BMG - Tories 8 points ahead

ComRes - Tories 8 points ahead

Opinium - Tories 16 points ahead

YouGov - Tories 17 points ahead

Deltapoll - Tories 15 points ahead

During the European Parliament election campaign in May, YouGov was the most reliable, and ComRes and BMG were totally out of kilt, predicting Labour would get 18%/22% when they got 14, and predicting the Tories would get 12%/12% when they got 9%.

by Anonymousreply 93November 17, 2019 9:05 AM

And on the Jew hate front, a bunch of cranks, only a few of whom are Jews, have written to the music paper the NME to defend Corbyn and argue that the people attacking him "SHOULD KNOW BETTER". A direct quote. SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

Seriously, a week after the anniversary of Kristallnacht, Jews are being told they should know better than challenge Jew hate when they recognise it.

Fuck them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 17, 2019 10:28 AM

R92 Is your reference to "Big D" a reference to the gaffe-prone Diane Abbott?

by Anonymousreply 95November 17, 2019 10:37 AM

The Pro Corbyn letter was in response to a letter to the Guardian, with notable figures, including countless historians, saying they couldn't vote Labour out of solidarity with Britain's Jewish population.

Sathnam Sanghera tweeted this about why he signed the letter

[quote]I signed this letter out of sheer self-interest: it could be us Sikhs as easily as it the British Jewish community. I stand with them. And brace myself for the abuse that always comes when anyone says so on a social network.

by Anonymousreply 96November 17, 2019 10:40 AM

Only a real crank like R94 would call signatories like Noam Chomsky, Carol Churchill, and Mark Rylance cranks. Anyone who defends Corbyn is too much for an hysteric like R94 to handle, as he throws in Kristallnacht for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 97November 17, 2019 6:44 PM

Noam Chomsky is still alive? Christ.

by Anonymousreply 98November 17, 2019 10:48 PM

What's that mean, R98? Because he's old but still using his mind that's a miracle? You're a douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 99November 17, 2019 11:28 PM

Chomsky belongs back in the 50s along with Spock.

by Anonymousreply 100November 18, 2019 12:24 AM

That's weak, R100, but I'm sure that's the best you have.

by Anonymousreply 101November 18, 2019 12:30 AM

Chomsky was, by the way, a Bush critic in the 2000s. I guess that doesn't count for anything, right, R100?

by Anonymousreply 102November 18, 2019 12:32 AM

Corbyn belongs back in the 1970s.

He says we should show sympathy to killers.

by Anonymousreply 103November 18, 2019 12:33 AM

Of course he does, R103. Whatever you say, hunty.

by Anonymousreply 104November 18, 2019 12:38 AM

see the Telegraph article "Jeremy Corbyn, friend to Hamas, Iran and extremists"

If Jeremy Corbyn wins, Labour will be in the extraordinary position of having a leader with among the most extensive links in Parliament to terrorists.

Corbyn failied to declare his 2014 trip to Tunisia to lay a wreath for terrorists responsible for the Munich massacre after telling the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards that his trip had only cost £656 – £4 under the £660 threshold for declaring trips.

by Anonymousreply 105November 18, 2019 12:54 AM

That's quite a scandal, R105--glad you're on it! Can you get a private audience with the Queen about this?

by Anonymousreply 106November 18, 2019 12:58 AM

The queen cares little for Corbin and his rabble,

It's the British voters who need to be informed of Corbin's secrets.

by Anonymousreply 107November 18, 2019 1:56 AM

And yet you can't even spell his name right, R107. Twice. Yet you know his secrets.

by Anonymousreply 108November 18, 2019 2:01 AM

In latest news a Labour parliamentary candidate in Wales has NOT been suspended despite running a Facebook group to support Jew haters and actual living breathing holocaust deniers and holocaust revisionists. The reason she was not suspended was because the woman didn't say anything racist herself, she just tolerated others making racist statements.

In her defence, Maria Carroll highlighted how she couldn't be an anti semite because her father had suffered terribly from taking part in the liberation of Auschwitz. When it was pointed out the Russian Army liberated Auschwitz she then changed her story to say he liberated Auschwitz II Birkenau, before deleting the tweets.

Institutional racism.

Cranks gonna cranks.

by Anonymousreply 109November 18, 2019 6:58 AM

My god that first head to head debate was utterly, utterly dire. It didn't help that the presenter kept interrupting rather than letting the two of them actually debate, but poor show for Johnson to keep talking over her.

But my god he got his point across about Cornyn refusing to answer the question of how he would campaign in a second referendum, once he's renegotiated a deal with the EU. To leave or remain? This man could be Prime Minister in a month and we still don't know.

Johnson getting laughed at for the question of honesty was quite something.

Both utterly dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 110November 19, 2019 8:26 PM

Election over Boris is going to win a majority. Please Labour get a new leader!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111November 19, 2019 9:02 PM

This sort of thing is why I'm beyond sick of certain segments of Labour downplaying antisemitism in the UK:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 22, 2019 4:52 PM

Can someone quickly explain for dummies why there are so many elections for PM? Do they not have a fixed term? Why are there so many, from what seems from the outside, "pop up" elections, referendums, etc?

by Anonymousreply 113November 22, 2019 4:57 PM

R113 - From the 1700s to 2010 there was a rule that a government term would run for a a maximum of 5 years but no minimum. There was a fixed term parliament act introduced in 2010 by the Tory/Lib Dem coalition, which worked for them, in that the coalition lasted the full five years but Cameron's win in 2015 led to the chaos of Brexit that saw Theresa May's disastrous 2017 campaign that led to the current carnival with Johnson.

For the last 50 years it was relatively organised with a popular Prime Minister calling an election after 4 years, or Prime Minister on the ropes going the full 5 years, except for 1974 when there were 2 elections in one year.

1970 - Heath as PM - Tory government

1974 - Wilson as PM - Labour minority government

1974 - Wilson won - Labour majority - Callaghan took over in 1976

1979 - Thatcher won - Tory majority

1979 - Thatcher won - Tory majority

1987 - Thatcher won - Tory majority - John Major took over in 1990

1992 - Major won - Tory majority

1997 - Blair won - Labour majority

2001 - Blair won - Labour majority

2005 - Blair won - Labour majority - Gordon Brown took over in 2007

2010 - Cameron becomes Prime Minister in Tory/Lib Dem coalition

by Anonymousreply 114November 22, 2019 7:31 PM

Labor don't need a new leader, they need a new membership!

Those are the dolts that keep picking these ultra left wing leaders and somehow believe they might win one day.

When Corbyn is gone, you watch them go for some equally left wing type as Corbyn and Milliband.

by Anonymousreply 115November 23, 2019 1:43 AM

While Milliband seemed left-wing, Corbyn makes Milliband look like Thatcher.

by Anonymousreply 116November 23, 2019 1:58 AM

They went south when David Milliband was tossed aside for his brother.

Then and there you knew the membership had lost it.

by Anonymousreply 117November 23, 2019 2:01 AM

Corbyn's neutral stance on Brexit is just pathetic.

The idea that he's going to negotiate a BETTER Brexit deal than Boris Johnson and then refuse to say whether he believes his Brexit deal or Remain is better for the country is just cuckoo.

As Prime Minister he'll sit in silence when his Labour cabinent members fight it out with most voting to Remain but only a handful saying they'll support Corbyn's Leave deal.

by Anonymousreply 118November 23, 2019 9:12 AM

R114 - Thank you. So for example, if we were the UK and we had a republican government in office as we currently do, the public could swap out DJT for another "leader" with a new election, but the republican government would still stay in tact? What I am trying ask in a very non succinct way is when the UK votes, they are voting for the party and the PM at 10 Downing is basically the spokesperson who is interchangeable by demand of the public?

by Anonymousreply 119November 23, 2019 2:52 PM

[quote]What I am trying ask in a very non succinct way is when the UK votes, they are voting for the party and the PM at 10 Downing is basically the spokesperson who is interchangeable by demand of the public?

The Prime Minister is basically the leader of the party who has the most seats in Parliament and interchangeable at the whim of the elected MPs. The party leaders are chosen by the rules the party have set up.

In 1990, 3 years into the Thatcher's third term, the Tories realised she was a liability and deposed her. There was a challenge by Michael Heseltine (Richard E Grant in The Iron Lady) and Thatcher initially fought her corner, but then realised she didn't have enough support to see him off, and withdrew. The Tories then elected John Major as their leader and he then became Prime Minister. Leadership rules meant MPs and MPs alone decided who their party leader would be.

In 2007, 2 years into his third term, Blair quit as leader of the Labour Party and then Prime Minister. The culture in the party was toxic, the Blairites and Brownites were at each other's throats and when Gordon Brown stood for Labour Leader he did so unopposed so party members didn't get to vote on who would be their leader.

In 2016 after the Brexit referendum, Cameron resigned as Tory leader but carried on as Prime Minister. The Tories started their leadership contest and under their party rules where there's a candidate knocked out in each round it ended up with a final two of Theresa May and Andrea Leadsom. Leadsom withdrew after a furore over comments about Theresa May not having children and withdrew, thus Theresa May became Tory Leader and Prime Minister. Party members didn't get to vote on their leader.

In 2019 Theresa May resigned and Boris Johnson became Tory leader and Prime Minister after a run off with Jeremy Hunt. It was the first time party members decided who would be the party leader and therefore Prime Minister. Johnson obviously won.

For all the criticism of Johnson being an "unelected" Prime Minister, over the last 50 years there have been 10 UK Prime Ministers. 5 of the last 10 Prime Ministers came into office "unelected" - Callaghan, Major, Brown, May and Johnson. 5 Prime Ministers won elections that made them Prime Minister - Wilson, Heath, Thatcher, Blair and Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 120November 23, 2019 4:12 PM

Conservatives are now 19 points ahead of Labour...........unless there is an unforeseen scandal, Boris is going to win a majority.

by Anonymousreply 121November 23, 2019 5:32 PM

Why hasn't the report about Russian interference/intervention in the Brexit vote Johnson has suppressed until after the election been leaked?

by Anonymousreply 122November 23, 2019 5:55 PM

When you've lost confidence in American politics, take a trip through the UK tabloids and watch these morons campaign. They're even worse!

by Anonymousreply 123November 23, 2019 6:00 PM

Legit question: will Corbyn be forced to resign after this election? I mean the Labour campaign is an unmitigated disaster! He needs to go so Labour can get a leader people will vote for!

by Anonymousreply 124November 23, 2019 8:33 PM

R124 I don't think he will resign, he is too stubborn for that. There will be another challenge to his leadership, like in 2016, but how the members will vote is anyone's guess.

by Anonymousreply 125November 23, 2019 8:53 PM

Corbyn will quit if he loses but only when he's sure the unions and Momentum will fix it for his chosen successor.

Rebecca Long Bailey (think Jane Horrocks on very powerful anti depressants) or Angela Rayner (Catherine Tate's Lauren all grown up) will compete, along with Kier Starmer (the real life inspiration for Darcy in Bridget Jones) and Emily Thornberry (Hyacinth Bouquet meets Majory from Little Britain's Fat Fighters) will also go for it. Expect a run too from hyper masculine Clive Lewis, who looks like an Action Man figure gone wrong

by Anonymousreply 126November 23, 2019 9:18 PM

Holy shit!!!! Nicola just had her ass handed to her!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 25, 2019 9:15 PM

r127 In what way?

by Anonymousreply 128November 25, 2019 9:21 PM

Those Labour parliamentarians left after the election should leave the current Old Labour party and start up a New Labour Party.

The old membership is hopelessly stacked with left wing loonies who will choose an unequally unpallatable unelectable candidate like Corbyn.

Dump them all, start up a new membership. No join for two pounds no questions asked either.

It's the only way.

by Anonymousreply 129November 25, 2019 9:21 PM

R128 the host called out the SNP's record on the NHS. It's terrifyingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 130November 25, 2019 9:24 PM

Yep - the NHS scandal in Scotland is horrific, yet 25 minutes of Andrew Neil's 30 minute interview focused on Scottish independence.

Education performance in Scotland after 12 years of SNP led government is also appalling.

But Scottish independence means they can blame it all on the Westminster government because TEN YEARS OF THE TORIES! or BREXIT or SCOTTISH INDEPENDENCE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 25, 2019 9:42 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132November 25, 2019 9:43 PM

I cannot fucking believe the people are going to give this Trumpian turd a mandate to govern. They're going to push ALL of us into recession.

by Anonymousreply 133November 25, 2019 9:45 PM

Hilarious to see Corbynite supporters and his media team getting excited about a poll in Wales, one of Labour's traditional heartlands, which showed a 9% rise in Labour support compared to earlier this month.

It's still significantly lower than the vote share in the 2017 election and they're on course to lose 4 seats to the Tories but still it's a rise in the polls!!

And Scotland polls suggest Labour will be down to 1 seat with Lib Dems and Tories holding their own in the face of SNP gains.

by Anonymousreply 134November 25, 2019 9:51 PM

The perfect storm of voters enraged by the delay of Brexit and terrified of Corbyn.

by Anonymousreply 135November 25, 2019 11:24 PM

[quote] voters enraged by the delay of Brexit

Not much much the delay per se but the transparent bad faith behind the delays. That's why they are angry.

by Anonymousreply 136November 25, 2019 11:32 PM

True.

by Anonymousreply 137November 25, 2019 11:36 PM

Let's see how enraged they are when the Japanese move their car production to the continent, and the City starves. On the other hand, they'll have all the sovereignty they could eat. Who needs quality of life and consumer and environmental standards, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 138November 25, 2019 11:37 PM

They said "It Can't Happen Here" in 1935.

It Could Happen There in 2019.

About the only thing holding us back from chaos in the States are the courts and the military, and they're dicey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139November 26, 2019 2:38 AM

R135 summed it up perfectly. Regardless of your position on Brexit (I voted remain), in 2016 the majority of voters who took part in the referendum told Westminster to withdraw from the EU. Almost 4 years later we still haven't; people are pissed off. Added to that is the fact that Corbyn is the leader of the Labour party.

by Anonymousreply 140November 26, 2019 3:35 AM

The Chief Rabbi's intervention was necessary and I can't imagine he'd have done it without serious consideration, but whatever happens now, centuries old anti Jewish prejudice has been reestablished, mainly on the left.

If the Tories win, Corbynites will blame Jews for the victory, and the obsessed with money, wielding disproportionate influence, controlling the media tropes will get shared more widely.

And if Labour do get into power, there is no doubt they'll take their revenge, and they're already talking about changing the set up of the Equality & Human Rights Commission

Grim all round.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141November 26, 2019 4:56 PM

Surprised how American DLers will vote for Dems no matter what and UK DLers are so hell bent on getting the Tories back into power

by Anonymousreply 142November 26, 2019 5:21 PM

R140, those same voters were also given specific promises about how that exit would take place and supposed benefits that would accrue, none of which were true. So when you have voted for a lie and that lie cannot be delivered because it is, in fact, a lie, what then?

by Anonymousreply 143November 26, 2019 6:07 PM

So Andrew Neil interviewed Jeremy Corbyn for half an hour and it didn't go well.

Comparisons with Prince Andrew are being made...

by Anonymousreply 144November 26, 2019 8:13 PM

R144 - I can't wait until Andrew Neil interviews Boris Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 145November 26, 2019 8:42 PM

Yep - but in Johnson's favour is that he had to go through the experience a couple of months ago when running to be Tory leader.

I still can't believe that the country has a choice between a racist buffoon who wants to leave the EU and leave our public services starved of cash, and a racist grandpa who wants to leave the EU and leave our public services starved of cash after attempting delusional radical reform that won't work.

GORDON, TONY, TESSA AND MO WE MISS YOU

by Anonymousreply 146November 26, 2019 8:46 PM

R146 - Do you really miss Tony after the Iraq War fiasco?

by Anonymousreply 147November 26, 2019 9:03 PM

Polls to have labour gaining some ground. I still think Conservative majority, but by a lower seat count then the 48-70 current being projected.

by Anonymousreply 148November 26, 2019 9:12 PM

R148 The main parties Labour has to worry about aren't the Tories. It is clear that the Tories will win a majority of some sort. What could take this from just being a Labour loss to a Labour catastrophe, is if the Brexit Party manages to take some of their leave seats, while the Lib Dems take several of their remain seats, and the SNP basically wipes them out in Scotland.

by Anonymousreply 149November 26, 2019 11:32 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150November 26, 2019 11:40 PM

One of the curious things about Corbynite twitter last night was amongst all the things trending, a huge number of accounts decided to attack Andrew Neil after the interview but spelt his name wrong and as a result Andrew Neill was trending.

The refusal to apologise got most of the headlines but like all Andrew Neil interviews there were countless nuggets.

Corbyn's insistence on being neutral in the referendum on his deal vs remain posed a big question he was unable to answer - with all the big figures in Labour backing Remian, along with the SNP, Lib Dems, Plaid, Greens, and the Tories likely to reject the deal because it won't resemble leaving the EU in any shape or form, who on earth is going to lead the campaign for Corbyn's deal?

by Anonymousreply 151November 27, 2019 4:48 AM

Corbyn's interview was a train wreck of EPIC proportions. It was so bad even I thought about voting Conservative for a minute...I won't but FUCK! I mean did Prince Andrew coach him or something.

by Anonymousreply 152November 27, 2019 5:28 AM

[quote] About the only thing holding us back from chaos in the States are the courts and the military, and they're dicey.

What chaos?

by Anonymousreply 153November 27, 2019 5:34 AM

Labour needs to be burned to the ground.

by Anonymousreply 154November 27, 2019 5:34 AM

Breaking: Hezbollah & Hamas have announced that they will lay a wreath for Corbyn after that car crash interview with Andrew Neil. #andrewneilinterviews

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155November 27, 2019 5:51 AM

I can't understand why Corbyn didn't just apologise. The Tories are pure evil and Corbyn doesn't seem to care one jot about stopping them.

by Anonymousreply 156November 27, 2019 1:52 PM

Fuck discussing some interview.

You realize that Corbyn today unveiled proof that the Tories want a no-deal Brexit and have been actively negotiating with the US for two years about selling out the NHS and dropping environmental and safety regulations -- all while denying that they would consider any such thing?

If this doesn't sway the election, the idiot Brexit voters will be getting exactly what they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 157November 27, 2019 3:33 PM

R157 You realise the document he 'unveiled' (it's been on Reddit since October) doesn't actually show any of the things he claimed, right?

I used to vote Labour but R154 is right, it needs to be burnt to the ground and rebuilt

by Anonymousreply 158November 27, 2019 4:02 PM

R157 believes the claims a lying politician makes without backing up the evidence.

What I find odd about the "Americans want to charge us BILLIONS for drugs and force us to eat chlorinated chicken" hysteria from Labour is the assumption Trump isn't going to be replaced by a left leaning Democrat next year who will clearly work with the UK government on a truly altruistic free trade deal where we can pass good quality life saving medication back and forth at knockdown rates and make sure only the best quality food produce is sold.

But there were are.

The big poll prediction is due to be unveiled at 10pm tonight using the same model that predicted the hung parliament at this stage in 2017, yet was routinely dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 159November 27, 2019 4:41 PM

[bold]Voter registration rise boosts Labour's election hopes[/bold]

[quote]A sharp rise in voter registration, predominantly among young people, has boosted Labour’s hopes in the general election. Figures show more than 3 million people have registered since the election was called on 29 October.

[quote]More than two-thirds of those applications are from people under 34, who tend to be more favourable towards Labour than the Conservatives. The Electoral Reform Society said the overall figure for registrations is 38% higher than the 2,315,893 applications to register in a similar period in the 2017 election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 27, 2019 6:42 PM

I wish Diane Abbott was the leader of the Labour Party instead of that incompetent idiot Corbyn.

by Anonymousreply 161November 27, 2019 7:30 PM

Diane Abbott.

Diane Abbott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162November 27, 2019 7:54 PM

[quote]I used to vote Labour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163November 27, 2019 8:01 PM

Does Jeremy have a big cock?

by Anonymousreply 164November 27, 2019 8:04 PM

The Tory defence of these released documents showing the fact the NHS is definitely "on the table" is that no Tory government would sell off the NHS and increase drug prices because it would be unpopular. Yeah, like they wouldn't sell off publicly owned services like Royal Mail, rail services and water utilities provision resulting in higher fares and bills, either.

You have to be a complete moron to vote Tory at this point. Especially with their abysmal history on gay rights. The Tories don't just have an antisemitism problem, they have an islamophobia problem, a racism problem and a homophobia problem. And that goes straight to the top in their current pound store Trump leader.

by Anonymousreply 165November 27, 2019 8:10 PM

R165 = Owen Jones

by Anonymousreply 166November 27, 2019 8:11 PM

R165 - people know the Tories are cunts, they just don't want to vote for a Labour party that hates Jews.

If the Tories win the election then Labour have themselves to blame for not offering a moderate, sensible, pro European NON RACIST approach.

By the way, in the UK we say Pound Shop to indicate an inferior version of something or someone, not Pound Store. xx

by Anonymousreply 167November 27, 2019 8:14 PM

R167 but you're happy voting for a Tory party that hates Muslims, black people and gays. Or, in Johnson's terms, letterboxes, picaninnies and bum boys. Like I say, morons.

by Anonymousreply 168November 27, 2019 8:18 PM

[quote]By the way, in the UK we say Pound Shop to indicate an inferior version of something or someone, not Pound Store

PS - in the UK we don't capitalise either of those x

by Anonymousreply 169November 27, 2019 8:20 PM

No R168, I'll vote Lib Dem, despite several misgivings.

I know a lot of people who are voting for Labour because DESPITE THE JEW HATE they fear Johnson and Brexit more

I know a lot of people who are voting for the Conservatives because DESPITE THE ANTI MUSLIM AND GENERAL RACISM they fear Corbyn and his fantasy economics more.

I know people in Scotland who don't want Scotland to leave the UK but are voting for the SNP because they hate Johnson and Corbyn more.

by Anonymousreply 170November 27, 2019 8:22 PM

Vote Labour, you filthy whores. Then Brexit will be cancelled and a huge disaster averted.

by Anonymousreply 171November 27, 2019 8:27 PM

[quote]No [R168], I'll vote Lib Dem, despite several misgivings.

Is your biggest misgiving that a vote for them is essentially a vote for the institutionally racist and homophobic Tories?

by Anonymousreply 172November 27, 2019 8:28 PM

"Institutionally racist"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173November 27, 2019 8:30 PM

Corbyn refuses to apologise for the Labour Party's anti-semitism because he knows he will attract Muslim voters. He doesn't care about alienating Jews as they only number around 200,000.

The Tories won't really bother to tackle Islamophobia in their party because they know it plays well with Brexit bigots.

by Anonymousreply 174November 27, 2019 8:31 PM

R173

[quote]We contacted The Labour Party after receiving a number of complaints about allegations of antisemitism in the party.

They have to investigate after they receive a complaint, regardless of its substance, in the same way the police have to investigate anyone who's accused of a crime. I think a much clearer and more devastating indication of institutional racism and homophobia is when a party elects as their leader a man who has, on record, called black people "picaninnies", gay people "bum boys" and compared homosexuality to bestiality.

by Anonymousreply 175November 27, 2019 8:38 PM

R175 - so why have several Jewish Labour MPs resigned if there isn't really a problem in the party?

by Anonymousreply 176November 27, 2019 8:43 PM

Labour is so institutionally racist towards Jewish people they think this image is acceptable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177November 27, 2019 8:45 PM

Labour is a cesspit and anyone who votes for them knowing this is complicit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178November 27, 2019 8:50 PM

R176 Why are many Jewish MPs still in the Labour Party if there's such a problem? Why are so many Jewish people still members of the Labour Party?

Why not take a look at Corbyn's history of campaigning on Jewish issues?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179November 27, 2019 8:51 PM

R179 - why has the Chief Rabbi said that Corbyn is unfit to govern? Or perhaps he's getting back-handers from the Tories?

by Anonymousreply 180November 27, 2019 8:55 PM

[quote] Why are many Jewish MPs still in the Labour Party if there's such a problem? Why are so many Jewish people still members of the Labour Party?

I'll let legendary actress, and former lifelong Labour supporter, Maureen Lipman explain it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 27, 2019 8:57 PM

R180 Why do all these Jewish people praise and support Corbyn?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 27, 2019 8:58 PM

[quote]Why are many Jewish MPs still in the Labour Party if there's such a problem?

You know fuck all don't you!

Labour started this Parliament with 8 Labour MPs.

Luciana Berger and Louise Ellman have been bullied out.

Ruth Smeeth and Margaret Hodge have received appalling abuse but have refused to leave - see the attached story on Ruth Smeeth not leaving the house alone.

Ed Miliband, Alex Sobel and Fabian Hamilton have kept their heads down and not spoken out.

Ivan Lewis was suspended after a sexual harassment allegation.

And Ian Austin quit Labour over anti semitism. He's not Jewish but his adoptive father came to the UK as a child refugee and his entire family died in a concentration camp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183November 27, 2019 8:58 PM

Corbyn is a friend of Islamo-fascists like Hamas and Hezbollah so of course he will never apologise for the anti-Semitism infesting the Labour Party.

by Anonymousreply 184November 27, 2019 9:03 PM

R182 Why were there Jews that supported Hitler? Some people are just stupid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185November 27, 2019 9:04 PM

R185 Like gay people voting Tory.

by Anonymousreply 186November 27, 2019 9:07 PM

R186 - The evil Tories legalised gay marriage. Perhaps out of guilt for Section 28?

by Anonymousreply 187November 27, 2019 9:12 PM

[quote]I'll let legendary actress, and former lifelong Labour supporter, Maureen Lipman explain it.

I hardly think doing a famously annoying BT advert 40 years ago confers legendary status but maybe you could send her this video...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188November 27, 2019 9:14 PM

R187 They changed their tune on gay rights only long after the rest of the country had moved ahead of them. They systematically opposed gay rights legislation well into the 2000s. And gay marriage had the bonus of signalling to the country that they were no longer "the nasty party". Well, that didn't last, did it? Their current leader is on record as being homophobic. Corbyn was campaigning for gay rights in the 70s and Labour were officially campaigning for gay rights in the 1980s, several decades before it was politically expedient for them to do so, but they stood by us on principle.

by Anonymousreply 189November 27, 2019 9:20 PM

Francesca Martinez is a crank.

And Jewish Voice for Labour is the equivalent of Blacks For Trump, or the people who say "How can Trump be a misogynist when he gives Ivanka and Kelly Anne and Sarah jobs!"

by Anonymousreply 190November 27, 2019 9:21 PM

R190 Not the right kind of Jews, eh? Sounds like you have an antisemitism problem x

by Anonymousreply 191November 27, 2019 9:23 PM

I didn't said they're the wrong kind of Jews. They're entitled to their opinion, but they are a very vocal and significant minority who do not speak for the majority

Blacks For Trump have a right to say what they say, it doesn't stop Trump being a racist cunt.

by Anonymousreply 192November 27, 2019 9:25 PM

I never thought it was possible to be a Stalinist Nazi until Jeremy Corbyn became Labour leader.

by Anonymousreply 193November 27, 2019 9:26 PM

[quote] I wish Diane Abbott was the leader of the Labour Party instead of that incompetent idiot Corbyn.

lol, the dumbest woman on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 194November 27, 2019 9:27 PM

[quote] I didn't said they're the wrong kind of Jews. They're entitled to their opinion, but they are a very vocal and significant minority who do not speak for the majority

Thank you for saying just that. Your an antisemite and the exact reason Labour is a dead party. Enjoy Boris.

by Anonymousreply 195November 27, 2019 9:28 PM

[quote]They're entitled to their opinion, but they are a very vocal and significant minority who do not speak for the majority

Says a man who is claiming to know the views of the majority and whether or not the views of the Jewish people in the video reflect that? Oh, the irony...

by Anonymousreply 196November 27, 2019 9:29 PM

I just saw someone say that Corbyn inherited antisemitism from New Labour and the Right-wing corporatist wing of the party. LMAO. His cult are so unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 197November 27, 2019 9:29 PM

Wow, R197 just saw some rando say something, girls! I wonder if anyone else has "heard someone say something" today and would like to share?

by Anonymousreply 198November 27, 2019 9:31 PM

R194 - How dare you criticise Diane! She is as wise as she is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 199November 27, 2019 9:31 PM

Saint Diane of Hackney

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200November 27, 2019 9:36 PM

R198 is a cultist. Enjoy Boris.

by Anonymousreply 201November 27, 2019 10:26 PM

[quote] Why are so many Jewish people still members of the Labour Party?

Why do Jews in any country support any political party that is anti-Israel? There is no logical answer.

by Anonymousreply 202November 27, 2019 11:17 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203November 28, 2019 2:51 AM

A government could enact a lot of reforms with a majority like that, and have a solid five years.

by Anonymousreply 204November 28, 2019 3:28 AM

R203 While it might not be as large 68 seats, I think it's all but certain now that the Tories are going to win a majority. Labour has regained some ground, but Tory support has remained stable above 40% for the whole election. We are looking at five years of Boris.

by Anonymousreply 205November 28, 2019 4:26 AM

r203 They correctly predicted the 2017 result only one day before polling day. Before that they were predicting a comfortable Tory win. But you knew that already, Tory.

by Anonymousreply 206November 28, 2019 6:30 AM

Once Brexit goes through the economy will tank. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 207November 28, 2019 6:51 AM

R207 I've never understood, why people seem to think that the UK economy can't stand on its own. It is the 5th biggest economy in the world. I'm sure there might be a downturn for a year or two, but the economy will not tank or collapse.

by Anonymousreply 208November 28, 2019 12:29 PM

Allegedly Labour is changing it's election strategy today. The party will embrace a pro-leave Brexit stance in an attempt in stop "Red Wall" in the north from cracking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209November 28, 2019 1:21 PM

[quote]R207 I've never understood, why people seem to think that the UK economy can't stand on its own. It is the 5th biggest economy in the world. I'm sure there might be a downturn for a year or two, but the economy will not tank or collapse.

Because most of Britain's biggest trading partners are in Europe, other than the U.S., and they want to punish Britain for leaving the E.U.

by Anonymousreply 210November 28, 2019 1:31 PM

R207 This is a country that endured 15 years of rations to fight the Nazis. Freedom was worth it then, and it still is now. Britain should not be under German hegemony. Frankly, George H. W. Bush should have listened to Margaret Thatcher and never let Germany re-unite in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 211November 28, 2019 1:37 PM

R210 Which is why I think there will be a short downturn, but it won't be permanent. The EU might want to punish the UK, but they will shortly figure out they are hurting themselves.

by Anonymousreply 212November 28, 2019 1:39 PM

[quote] This is a country that endured 15 years of rations to fight the Nazis. Freedom was worth it then, and it still is now. Britain should not be under German hegemony.

Putin’s bot at it again.

by Anonymousreply 213November 28, 2019 1:48 PM

[quote] I've never understood, why people seem to think that the UK economy can't stand on its own. It is the 5th biggest economy in the world.

Thanks to the EU, moron.

by Anonymousreply 214November 28, 2019 1:49 PM

[quote] Why do Jews in any country support any political party that is anti-Israel?

Because most Jews don’t live in Israel nor agree with it.

by Anonymousreply 215November 28, 2019 1:50 PM

"Germany's hegemony"? How can people write shit like that in 2019? Putin's troll at it again, indeed. 🙄

Enjoy the Chinese and American hegemony, then. Let's see how that works out for you.

by Anonymousreply 216November 28, 2019 1:50 PM

R214 Actually, the UK was the fourth biggest economy in 1960, fifth in 1965, and sixth in 1970(all prior to joining the EU) The lowest the UK economy ever fell was to seventh in 1990(while in the EU). The UK is more responsible for the EU's economic success than the EU is for the UK's. It is amazing how a country has gone, in less than a hundred years, from having the bravado to govern a world-wide empire to being so pessimistic that they think they cannot even survive as an independent nation.

by Anonymousreply 217November 28, 2019 2:01 PM

Disagreeing with R213, unelected EU apparatchiks, and Merkel makes you "Putin's Bot," apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218November 28, 2019 2:14 PM

You shot yourselves in the foot by voting for Brexit. Keep pretending it's not true.

by Anonymousreply 219November 28, 2019 2:22 PM

Pretty much every respected economist is predicting our economy will shrink significantly for at least a decade after brexit. That's if it ever recovers. But at least we'll have blue passports at last and we can pretend we're still an imperial force in the world, even though we'll have significantly less influence and economic power. Maybe we can close our eyes and ears and imagine Boris Johnson is our Churchill. Fucking idiots...

by Anonymousreply 220November 28, 2019 6:31 PM

Anyway, fuck this useless, moribund country. We deserve to tank after Brexit and we deserve a Tory government and a jumped up fucking imbecile like Johnson as our PM.

by Anonymousreply 221November 28, 2019 6:37 PM

r216, r211 used an accurate term, hegemony. Please refer to a dictionary. No one disagrees that Germany dominates the EU. Other EU countries, especially the smaller ones, accept it in exchange for the money that Germany provides and the stability it brings.

by Anonymousreply 222November 28, 2019 7:13 PM

Bwahahaha. After Brexit, the pound will be worth 20 cents U.S. Foolish arrogant jerks think Britain is as wealthy and powerful as it was in the 19th century and can go it alone. Serves you right.

by Anonymousreply 223November 29, 2019 2:36 AM

A 20 cent pound would cause exports to go through the roof. It would vastly undercut EU prices. The black market of British goods in the EU would be huge.

by Anonymousreply 224November 29, 2019 2:45 AM

No. It will be like Germany during the disastrous inflation in the early part of the 20th century. You'll need a shopping cart full of money to buy a loaf of bread.

by Anonymousreply 225November 29, 2019 3:00 AM

R225 That would only happen in the very unlikely event that Comrade Corbyn gets in office with a large majority.

by Anonymousreply 226November 29, 2019 3:03 AM

No. Corbyn will save Britain by cancelling Brexit.

by Anonymousreply 227November 29, 2019 3:54 AM

I've heard these predictions of doom before from economists thinking with their ideology.

Like this goodie from Nov 9, 2016.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228November 29, 2019 4:04 AM

Nope. You people need to be saved from your own stupidity and Corbyn will do it.

by Anonymousreply 229November 29, 2019 4:21 AM

Boris shit himself and chickened out of the leader's climate change debate last night. And continues to chicken out of the Andrew Neill interview which all the other leaders have done. Coward.

by Anonymousreply 230November 29, 2019 9:42 AM

Truth, the election was over before it was even called. It will be a conservative majority. Here's the cold hard reality, nothing sticks to Boris he's like Trump. There are two reasons: 1) People just don't like Corbyn he is unelectable. 2) Frustration over Brexit and how politicans have behaved, the majorty of people just want it done and over with. It's the cold hard truth.

by Anonymousreply 231November 29, 2019 7:54 PM

Nonsense R231 - Corbyn will win with a landslide majority. Don't believe the polls.

by Anonymousreply 232November 29, 2019 8:18 PM

If you gambled £100 on a Labour victory - 1 seat or a landslide - you'd currently get £2100 back.

£100 on a Labour *minority* government would get you a whopping £800

Alternatively if you gamble £100 on a Johnson victory, you'd return £136.

Gonna show us your betslip R233?

by Anonymousreply 233November 29, 2019 8:32 PM

Only ignorant Fascists will vote for Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 234November 29, 2019 8:34 PM

Who is the Corbyn troll on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 235November 30, 2019 1:12 AM

Bwahahaha. You believe in Boris Johnson and Brexit. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 236November 30, 2019 1:16 AM

R232 I wish you were right but the cold hard truth is, it’s really true-believer talk.

by Anonymousreply 237November 30, 2019 1:16 AM

R236 Actually, I am neither a conservative nor a supporter of Brexit. I'm just someone in touch with reality. If Corbyn was going to get a landslide, surely Labour wouldn't be 12-points behind in every bloody poll.

by Anonymousreply 238November 30, 2019 1:20 AM

R234 - And only antisemites and people who still think it's the 1930s and haven't heard that Stalin is dead and the USSR dissolved in 70 years will vote for Corbyn.

by Anonymousreply 239November 30, 2019 1:21 AM

R238 - Generally, I agree with you, but the fact it, in the political atmosphere we now exist in, two weeks is an eternity and anything can happen.

May's lead collapsed after the release of her manifesto (which was so appallingly though out even those of us who had always known she was third-rate were surprised). Whilst the Tory lead hasn't done quite the same thing, and seems to be holding close to steady, I wouldn't put my hard-earned money on anything in British politics now.

I still think a smaller majority or a hung Parliament possible. Today's terror attack on London Bridge won't do the Tories any favours.

I keep repeating that old chess maxim, "The winner is the player who makes the next to last mistake." I'd be surprised if there aren't a few mistakes still in the pipeline. It's only a question of who makes the last one.

And I don't think Labour's new strategy of appealing to BREXIT voters in the northeast is going to fool those voters.

We will address the concerns that led you to vote LEAVE!

We will reform Europe!

We will build a time machine and send you all back to 1956!

BTW, for those stating that people who believe in BREXIT are idiots - you need to look up Corbyn's voting record. He's a long-time eurosceptic.

He also believes in BREXIT. He just wants someone else to own it.

by Anonymousreply 240November 30, 2019 1:29 AM

Of the four polls out today, only one has the Conservative below 40%. I'm not optimistic of a labour win or even a labour minority. The terrorist attack in London will also likely see the Tories gain ground simply because whenever there is an attack, people tend to lean more conservative. I'm still saying a slim conservative majority is the most likely outcome.

by Anonymousreply 241November 30, 2019 8:19 PM

To avoid a Tory majority Labour are now reliant on the Liberal Democrats to take seats off the Tories in Remain areas where they themselves stand no chance.

Which is hard now, especially when Labour spent so much time and effort attacking Jo Swinson at the start of the campaign. They did the Tories job for them.

by Anonymousreply 242November 30, 2019 8:38 PM

R242 There is also another issue for Labour. If you look at some of the individual constituency polls in Labour held seats that voted leave, Labour is only holding some of these seats because of the split between Tory and Brexit Party voters. If enough leave supporter switch from Brexit Party to Tories, Labour is beyond fucked. This is why we're now seeing Labour switching to a more pro-Brexit stance to keep these seats.

by Anonymousreply 243December 1, 2019 1:02 AM

The only chance Remainers have now to stop brexit is a Labour government. If they vote Lib Dem they'll get a Tory hard brexit.

by Anonymousreply 244December 1, 2019 5:04 AM

Don’t forget the Conservatives had a huge lead in 2017 that evaporated come Election Day. Could the same thing happen this time?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245December 1, 2019 6:05 AM

[quote]The only chance Remainers have now to stop brexit is a Labour government. If they vote Lib Dem they'll get a Tory hard brexit.

Except in the 100+ seats, like Dominic Raab's or Zac Goldsmith, where the Lib Dems are second to the Conservatives and Labour have no chance.

Voting Labour in those seats will deliver a Tory hard Brexit. Tory Remainers are moving over the Liberal Democrats in their anger but Labour voters need to join them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246December 1, 2019 7:47 AM

According to the Telegraph, a new Com Res poll for them shows the erosion of the Tory lead being stopped - polling guru John Curtice cautiously agrees.

The thing is, the London Bridge attack will, I agree, work in the Tories' favour. People tend not to trust the far left on law and order issues, and Corbyn, especially, has already got what we call "form" here re sympathy for terrorism; he was foolish enough to state today that terrorists shouldn't "necessarily" serve out their full sentences, that "it depends on the circumstances" - which is, of course, exactly what happened: "circumstances" let the jihadist out.

It is less than two weeks out now, but I remember the 2017 GE well, and the Tories were experiecing a major collapse - this doesn't feel quite the same to me.

If I were forced to bet, I'd wager on a slim Tory majority in the 20-25 seat range, rather than a hung Parliament, but that doesn't mean I don't think a hung Parliament isn't possible.

by Anonymousreply 247December 1, 2019 2:00 PM

Concerning the London Bridge attack, you have to remember that even before the attack Boris Johnson's manifesto called to stop the early release of people like the attacker. Corbyn however says that people like the attacker "should not necessarily serve their entire term." I don't see how Corbyn can spin the attack in his favour.

by Anonymousreply 248December 1, 2019 4:53 PM

R248 The Tories have been in government for 10 years. No one else is to blame for this.

by Anonymousreply 249December 1, 2019 5:05 PM

R249 It isn't so much about blame for this attack, as stopping future ones. You have one candidate saying they will stop early release and another that will continue it.

by Anonymousreply 250December 1, 2019 5:15 PM

R249 - Justice Leveson can be blamed for it:

"When Usman Khan was jailed for 16 years in 2012, the judge ruled that the Al Qaeda inspired jihadi could only be released if and when a parole board was convinced he no longer posed a threat to the public.

That so called “indeterminate sentence” intended to secure “imprisonment for public protection” may have meant the terrorist would not have been freed to launch Friday’s terror attack.

However, in 2013 - just over a year after Khan was jailed - Lord Justice Leveson, sitting with two other judges at the Court of Appeal, quashed that sentence.

They found the original trial judge had “wrongly characterised” Khan’s plans as more dangerous than some of the other defendants in his terror cell.

It' easy to blame a political party, but this was a direct failure of those sitting on the Court of Appeals.

Khan got the right sentence at first. It was the Court of Appeals and some good barristers who were responsible for his release.

by Anonymousreply 251December 1, 2019 5:17 PM

R250 Boris is a proven liar. He's been a cabinet minister in the government of the last 10 years. If you think you can trust him on this, you're a moron.

by Anonymousreply 252December 1, 2019 5:19 PM

A hung parliament is looking more and more likely

by Anonymousreply 253December 1, 2019 5:21 PM

The problem for the Tories is that, on the rare occasions Johnson has the backbone to do an in depth interview, he's revealed to be an idiot. And if his past comments are raised, a sexist, racist, homophobic idiot. And the Tories' lead goes down....

by Anonymousreply 254December 1, 2019 5:25 PM

[quote]The evil Tories legalised gay marriage. Perhaps out of guilt for Section 28?

LOL. They did fuck all. That was part of the price of the LibDems' joining them in coalition. Didn't stop a goodly number of Tories campaigning and voting against it.

I also don't think that this terrorist attack is going to help the Tories when for the last decade they have slashed police numbers so they can give tax breaks to the wealthy.

Smart money is on the status quo. A hung parliament, plus Boris has a propensity to fuck things up royally with his racist witterings. He wheels out his dad when cornered. Dad Johnson did quite well on reality TV and up to now had a reputation as the nice, normal Johnson. That went out of the window with his car crash TV interview below. Like father like cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255December 1, 2019 5:52 PM

R255 - If it weren't for the extreme distaste for Corbyn, I'd agree with you on the smart money being on the status quo (a hung Parliament). It's possible, but putting any money at all on this in my view isn't smart.

And people are used to politicans lying. They don't care and they also don't care about his racism, because lots of them privately agree with him. This country is still nearly 80% white and the BREXIT issue is costing Labour in the north. Even Remainers want it sorted and no one trusts Corbyn to do that.

You may as well point out Corbyn's antisemitism as Johnson's racism.

When did the pols not lie to us? Blair? Borwn? Cameron? May? Was Cameron any more appealing or less of a liar than Johnson in 2015?

I wouldn't put a penny of my money on anything this time around.

by Anonymousreply 256December 1, 2019 6:25 PM

R245 In 2017, the Conservative lead began to drop much earlier in the election. The Tories have been above 40% for most of the election and only dipped in the last week. While Labour has gained ground, it has likely come too late in the election to stop an outright conservative win.

Side note, there is a great deal of belief in polling, that polls conduct three weeks prior to the election are the most accurate forecast of who is going to win. The reasons for this is that at the 3 week mark, most people have decided how they're going to vote. Some people flip-flop in the final two weeks, but end up going back to who they had planned to vote for at the three week mark.

For example, in 2016, leave surpassed remain for the first time in the polls at the 3 week mark In 2017, Tories regained ground but it was clear there would be a hung parliament at three weeks out.

While there is still a chance of 2017 like result, I believe we are headed to a conservative majority of around 20 seats.

by Anonymousreply 257December 1, 2019 9:48 PM

R257 - That is what I remember, that the Tory lead began collapsing earlier and kept doing so, like Sisyphus's ball going downhill. This doesn't feel the same, and I agree, as I said earlier, that if I were forced to bet, I'd also put it on an adequate but barely not marginal Tory majority of 20-25 seats.

YouGov's polls at this point in 2017 pretty much called it.

You also have to remember that the media love a nailbiter - if it becomes too clear, too early, that the outcome is a foregone conclusion, public interest cools. So if there is the least reason to do so, they push the "it ain't over yet" meme to keep the public clicking away.

by Anonymousreply 258December 1, 2019 11:28 PM

[quote]The Tories have been in government for 10 years

However, Boris has only been PM since July.

by Anonymousreply 259December 1, 2019 11:34 PM

Truth: If Corbyn wasn't Labour Leader, Labour would have won in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 260December 2, 2019 2:44 AM

And a cabinet minister in that Tory government of 10 years. Intelligent people will judge him on his record not on his empty words.

by Anonymousreply 261December 2, 2019 8:24 AM

The Tories have been in government since 2010 but prior to becoming Prime Minister Johnson was only part of that government for 2 years as Foreign Secretary from 2016-2018.

He played no role in the coalition government from 2010-2015 as he was major of London for the entirety of that period.

Clearly he's a cunt unfit for public office, but he wasn't sat around the table making decisions for most of the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 262December 2, 2019 8:36 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263December 2, 2019 1:35 PM

The Lib Dems were the coalition partners of the Tories from 2010-2015, and they colluded during that time in some most unpopular legislation - remember the tuition fees debacle? They paid for that hugely in ensuing years.

As for unfit for office: May was a mediocre third-rate MP who had no more business in Downing Street than I do. I can think of ten politicians in five minutes on both sides of the Pond whose personal characteristics, on their faces, would have made them "unfit for office". I don't think Johnson, without making any apologies for his glaring flaws, fares any worse.

The fact it, the county wants something finally done with (BREXIT); doesn't want the "socialist revolution" being promised by Labour; Corbyn has at least as much personal baggage with a form or racism; Swinson has been so dire a public face that the LDs have pulled her back and are letting Davey be the public fact to contain the damage; the Greens haven't a snoball's, nor the BREXIT party; the SNP will do better than it did in 2017 but Sturgeon's continued obsession with another indy/ref will probably do the Tories some favours north of Berwick; the rest of the choices aren't exactly compelling.

All of which is to say, calling Johnson a cunt unfit for office doesn't really address the issue before the UK voters. It's him or Corbyn, whom I also consider unfit to lead the country, let alone get BREXIT done. Len McCluskey came out today and said large swaths of UNITE members aren't even sure they want to vote Labour.

So, people aren't thinking in those terms. It's good to vent, but it doesn't really address the fact that our choices are bad and someone has to do it.

by Anonymousreply 264December 2, 2019 1:44 PM

^* the fact is, the country wants . . .

by Anonymousreply 265December 2, 2019 1:45 PM

I'm not sure the media coverage of Hugh Grant championing pro European anti Boris Johnson candidates in London is going to help Labour's efforts in the north but still he looks good for 59.

by Anonymousreply 266December 2, 2019 3:51 PM

[quote]You may as well point out Corbyn's antisemitism as Johnson's racism.

I might go further and say Corbyn won't apologise for or move decisively against the anti-semites and will rely on his base to point out the problems the Conservatives have with Islamophobia because that encourages the more extremist Muslims to vote Labour and Muslims somewhat outnumber Jews. Similarly, Boris won't apologise for his frequent racist witterings because that plays towards his similarly thinking xenophobic Brexit base.

Too cynical?

Nah. This is truly the shittiest crop of incompetent and venal politicians we have had in a while.

by Anonymousreply 267December 2, 2019 7:08 PM

R267 - It's true the jewish vote is a fraction of the Muslim vote, broadly speaking, but unfortunately I suspect the problem goes deeper than that. A survey was just published in the Telegraph and Express that revealed that nearly 60% of Corbyn's most ardent supporters share several of the most common antisemitic tropes in Europe. And the reason Corbyn doesn't crack down on the problem is that he shares it. I don't think the Tories have quite the same institutionalised problem with Islamophobia.

With the rest of your post I cannot disagree.

Re Hugh Grant and BREXIT - nothing gets the backs of northerners and LEAVE voters in the Midland than the metro-luvvie lot implying the peasants' stupidity.

Grant, Emma Thompsons, Cumberbatch, the lot - they couldn't find Blackpool on a map with a magnifying glass.

by Anonymousreply 268December 2, 2019 7:37 PM

It's always nice to meet a gay Tory. If only for the quaintness. I imagine our American friends feel the same way about Log Cabin Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 269December 2, 2019 9:52 PM

[quote]I don't think the Tories have quite the same institutionalised problem with Islamophobia

Not according to former Chair of the party, Baroness Warsi. And if that party elects as its leader a man who has, on record, been openly and consistently racist, sexist and homophobic (which he's followed up with his voting record), it's safe to assume that bigotry is 100% institutional.

by Anonymousreply 270December 2, 2019 9:58 PM

R269 - Yes, gay Tories are so quaint - especially when they really believe they are colluding with institutionalised antisemitism if they cast a vote for Labour. Can you imagine the silliness of those gay Tories feeling queasy about voting for a party that seems bent on doubling down on one of Europe's most intractable bigotries . . . apart from those against gays, of course.

by Anonymousreply 271December 2, 2019 10:00 PM

r271 Sorry, but I've never been able to imagine what a gay Tory feels like, in the same way I find it hard to empathise with a black BNP voter.

by Anonymousreply 272December 2, 2019 10:06 PM

R271 If we learned anything from the Holocaust, it is they don't stop with the Jews, remember all the gay and bisexual men who were also exterminated in the death camps, along with gypsies, Jehovah Witnesses, etc...

by Anonymousreply 273December 2, 2019 10:16 PM

Godwin's Law....

by Anonymousreply 274December 2, 2019 10:23 PM

So now you're suggesting we should ignore the Tories' long and consistent history of homophobia and racism, particularly its leader, and instead imagine that the party that has fought for gay rights for 30+ years and whose leader has fought and voted for gay rights for the best part of half a century actually want to place gay people in death camps? Fuck me, you people are desperate.

by Anonymousreply 275December 2, 2019 10:28 PM

And what if the individual is both gay and Jewish? Have you forgotten what the last 1,000 years of European history have held for Jews?

There's no Jew who can't smell the classic 1930s Stalinist Jew hatred coming off him. Sorry, mate. The mural, the crack about British Zionists not getting British humour even if they'v been here all their lives, the mention of Epstein with that long drawn out pronunciation . . . Eppppssshhtttyne . . . you know that sick little Joo.

Don't piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining. You take whichever side you want. I know one when I'm looking an ancient enemy in the face.

by Anonymousreply 276December 3, 2019 1:20 AM

r276 Well any gay Jew could also look at Corbyn's long history of supporting and voting for Jewish causes posted upthread, but I get that you yourself would prefer to ignore that in favour of how he once pronounced a Jewish name on TV.

by Anonymousreply 277December 3, 2019 10:27 AM

Anyone, gay, jewish, straight, atheist, could look at Corbyn's appearances on Iran's Press TV at a time when the Iranian regime were executing gay people, forcing gay people to transition, torturing journalists, counting down to the destruction of the world's only Jewish country and locking up and torturing dissenters.

He earned £20k for his appearances on Press TV

But as long as he's never eaten at a Chick-fil-A the gays will love him!

by Anonymousreply 278December 3, 2019 10:52 AM

r278 Jeremy Corbyn interview with Pink News: "I used the opportunities to address the issues of the Western relationship with the whole region, address the issues of Iraq, and also address issues of human rights – even in a very difficult atmosphere when you're dealing with countries and governments that clearly don't have the same human rights agenda that I do or we do around this table. Everywhere I've ever travelled I've always raised the issues of human rights, however easy or difficult it is."

Given his long, consistent and deeply committed history of support for gay rights, I think it's safe to assume he's being honest. BTW you'll notice that, unlike you, news outlets have always reported "up to £20,000", it's likely to have been significantly less than that. And Corbyn said the money went to his constituency. Again, you can look at a man who has a far from lavish lifestyle and who spends most of his time campaigning or growing vegetables on an allotment and come to the logical conclusion he's telling the truth or you can go down the paranoid hysteric route and conclude he's actually a cynical homophobe only interested in personal enrichment...

by Anonymousreply 279December 3, 2019 11:18 AM

[quote]BTW you'll notice that, unlike you, news outlets have always reported "up to £20,000", it's likely to have been significantly less than that.

Why would he even take *1£* to appear on that propaganda arm??

by Anonymousreply 280December 3, 2019 11:45 AM

"Why would he even take *1£* to appear on that propaganda arm??"

Precisely. And I would love to know what "Jewish causes" Corbyn "fought for" - poster got that from letters to The Guardian, eh, after reading their hand-picked letters responding to Jonathan Freedland's article (yes, I read across the political spectrum, not just in one or another echo chamber)? Yes, I saw those, too. They're from the same sort of people who assured themselves in 1933 that it would all "blow over". The things Corbyn supported were the easy things to support or deplore.

And don't go simples on us - that crack about British Zionists and the mural go well beyond the pronunciation of Epstein's name on televisio - that mural displayed every trope Europe has cherished for centuries about "Jewish bankers" and their control of the world. Those weren't innocent mistakes, either.

By the way, a peculiarly virulent form of political antisemitis isn't rare amongst the far left. It's something the far left has in common with the far right.

A few weeks ago, Corbyn snapped at a group of journalists "When we're socialist, you'll cooperate."

Just because he isn't Boris Johnson doesn't make him a saint. He is as has been pointed out many times, an old-fashioned 1930s Stalinist. He knows what's good for him and good for you, too, and if it takes a state-controlled press to persuade you, he'll be for it.

He's not Clem Atlee. And despite my disgust and despair at the sorry state of our political environment, yes, I will crawl over broken glass to vote agaisnt.

You're at liberty to believe in that farcical "socialist revolution" with it state-controlled press, collapsed economy, and by the way also - he wants Britain out of the EU as well, because he can't nationalise those industries whilst we're in it.

So he'll be privately pleased to see the Tories win, get BREXIT done but not to have to take responsibility for it, and then dream of getting into #10 after someone else has done his dirty work for him. I'd bet a year's pension he voted LEAVE in the privacy of the polling station.

by Anonymousreply 281December 3, 2019 12:45 PM

[quote]And I would love to know what "Jewish causes" Corbyn "fought for"

There's a long list upthread, dear x

by Anonymousreply 282December 3, 2019 1:38 PM

[quote]"Why would he even take *1£* to appear on that propaganda arm??"

He explained why he went on there and why he goes to countries whose human rights agenda is opposed to his long and proven pro-gay, pro-human rights and anti racist beliefs. I'm glad the money he received went back into his constituency, too.

by Anonymousreply 283December 3, 2019 1:42 PM

Yes, I saw them: they're all, as I said, straight out of Anthony Isaacs' letter in the Graun, and they're the easy ones. And I would remind you that in terms of recognition of Holocaust Day, even THAT prompted a fight within Labour.

And I'm not your "dear".

I don't particularly care for any of the choices before me this GE, but I'm damned if I'll vote for someone who said British Zionists don't get British humour even if they've been here all their lives (we all know what that statement was a dog whistle for, no matter how he deplored attacks on synagogues).

When challenged, Corbyn said he only meant Zionist in the strictly political sense, an evasion beyond laughable.

In other words, any British Jew who believes Israel has a right to exist can't really be part of British culture, even if born and raised here.

How many of Britain's Jews do you think do NOT support Israel's right to exist (which, by the way, Corbyn doesn't)? So in effect, most of Britain's Jews just really can't ever really be one of us.

If you think pro forma statements deploring attacks on synagogues or desecration of Jewish gravestones or any of the other easy pabulum he's spouted offsets a public pronouncements of one of Europe's most deeply embedded views of Jews as the Eternal Outsider, you even more deluded than I thought.

Dear x

by Anonymousreply 284December 3, 2019 1:44 PM

[quote]A few weeks ago, Corbyn snapped at a group of journalists "When we're socialist, you'll cooperate."

You really are desperate. It was a group of photographers who were pushing each other to get a photo of Corbyn. He told them to co-operate with each other. The line about socialism was clearly a joke. Compare that to the Tories actually threatening last week to look at channel 4's license after they empty chaired Boris Johnson when he was too cowardly to turn up to the leaders climate change debate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285December 3, 2019 1:49 PM

[quote]He explained why he went on there and why he goes to countries whose human rights agenda is opposed to his long and proven pro-gay, pro-human rights and anti racist beliefs. I'm glad the money he received went back into his constituency, too.

Where is the footage of Corbyn using his platform on Iran's propaganda TV station to campaign for the human rights of gay people, women, journalists, anti government protesters?

As this article demonstrates, he carried on his appearances AFTER the tortured journalist "interview" was aired, and Press TV stopped being broadcast in the UK. It's inconceivable that he didn't know, but he carried on.

And he's never been willing to evidence what exactly the money was spent on "in his constituency".

Shameful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286December 3, 2019 4:13 PM

[quote]As this article demonstrates, he carried on his appearances AFTER the tortured journalist "interview" was aired

No it doesn't, dear x

by Anonymousreply 287December 3, 2019 4:37 PM

Anyway, I've just joined the Labour Party and made a donation to their campaign. Maybe you could do the same with the Tory Party. If you haven't already. Only 9 days to go....

by Anonymousreply 288December 3, 2019 4:44 PM

How many queens on here are going to vote for Camp Commandant Corbyn?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289December 3, 2019 7:35 PM

Boris winning his first ever GE will be the worst imaginable Christmas present.

by Anonymousreply 290December 4, 2019 7:45 PM

Never mind the issues - let's be grateful Boris isn't afraid to tackle the REAL issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291December 7, 2019 4:23 PM

Fuck it, I'm voting SNP, even though I don't want another independence referendum. I agree with a lot of their policies and see them as the least of evils. I will die before I vote Tory. I'm not voting for Corbyn after all the damage he's done to Labour. His stance on Brexit is pathetic. I'm not voting for the Lib Dems or the Greens until they step away from the trans Kool-Aid.

by Anonymousreply 292December 12, 2019 12:05 PM

I’d normally vote Lib Dem but couldn’t do it this year. Swinson suggesting sex exists on a spectrum was just too stupid for me.

by Anonymousreply 293December 12, 2019 12:18 PM

And Jo Swinson is thirty-nine, R293! It's not like she grew up in an era where this nonsense about how "there's an infinite number of genders" was being pushed. It's embarrassing that someone her age doesn't understand that there are two sexes.

by Anonymousreply 294December 12, 2019 1:48 PM

I voted Lib Dem for Luciana Berger and Brexit and not for Jo Swinson who deserves the ridicule she's received for her stance on trans issues. Swinson really does sound absolutely nonsensical when she talks about the issues whereas Berger seemed embarrassed to take the view when asked.

I'm in a safe Labour seat and the (gay male) Labour MP has almost identical views to Swinson about trans issues but with an added dose of misogyny and is quite happy to tell women he knows better about women's safety than they do. He waited until he was elected before coming out as he knew the sizeable muslim community wouldn't vote for him.

Also I can't vote for a party that's under investigation for institutional racism.

If the Tories get a majority be afraid, if Labour get into government backed up by the SNP be afraid.

The 20s are going to be horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 295December 12, 2019 5:17 PM

R295 I'm curious who your labour candidate is?Chris Bryant?

by Anonymousreply 296December 12, 2019 7:57 PM

Does Jeremy Corbyn wear diapers?

by Anonymousreply 297December 12, 2019 8:14 PM

Exit polls suggest Tory landslide. We all knew it was coming, but still. Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 298December 12, 2019 9:05 PM

In a shock to none who lives outside of London, exit poll predicts Conservative landslide and Labour collapse.

by Anonymousreply 299December 12, 2019 9:14 PM

So then will Labour be finally rid of Brexit-enabling Corbyn, or will he cling to power?

by Anonymousreply 300December 12, 2019 9:45 PM

R300 He's not oging anywhere. Just saw Andrew Neil intervied John McDonald , out it to him that Corbyn was a liability, and the arrogance of the Left shone bright. No! The election was a bout Brexit. Jeremy was doing so well in the polls. It was pointed out to him that Labour will also not win in 2024/25 because the gap will be too big to make up in an election cycle.

by Anonymousreply 301December 12, 2019 9:49 PM

Huge changes coming to UK. Boris will get his Brexit and power to do whatever he wants. Corbyn’s election strategies went totally wrong and he will have to step down very soon. This, if the exit poll is correct.

by Anonymousreply 302December 12, 2019 9:51 PM

R301 He has to go. The worst results since 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 303December 12, 2019 9:52 PM

R303 Of course he has to.

But his Marxist arrogance won't let him. Will have to be a night of the long knives.

What I don't like is the whore Priti Patel coming back to power. Dangerous ignorant woman.

by Anonymousreply 304December 12, 2019 9:58 PM

This is The UK’s Trump moment

by Anonymousreply 305December 12, 2019 10:03 PM

UK general election 2019: exit poll predicts 86-seat Tory landslide majority Ugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306December 12, 2019 10:09 PM

Come on, gays. We’re ways too fabulous to cry over the likes of Corbyn.

by Anonymousreply 307December 12, 2019 10:11 PM

Labour’s heartland is in danger. It may lose a lots of seats in Midlands. Unheard swing. Hard night for Labour MPs to wait what happens. Corbyn supporters tweet not to blame on him but Brexit. Sure. Jeremy’s socialist agenda lost and his allies will vanish one by one if they want to continue in politics.

by Anonymousreply 308December 12, 2019 10:14 PM

[quote]Corbyn supporters tweet not to blame on him but Brexit.

Not being British, I don't think I follow this logic. My understanding was one of the reasons for Labour's weakness is Corbyn's lukewarmness on Brexit and Labour's consequent failure to present a strong alternative to the Tories on that issue.

by Anonymousreply 309December 12, 2019 10:21 PM

You're right, R309. Corbyn's attitude to Brexit has played a big part in his downfall.

by Anonymousreply 310December 12, 2019 10:23 PM

What I don't understand is that the Brit posters here always go on and on about how Brexit is actually not popular with the public. What's the deal?

by Anonymousreply 311December 12, 2019 10:24 PM

It's Corbyn, r311. The Labour Party is headed up by a terrorist sympathizer and Jew-hater and they would have people like that idiot Diane Abbot running the place. Brits will never EVER vote that in.

by Anonymousreply 312December 12, 2019 10:27 PM

I'll never forget Labour supporters tweeting that Jeremy inherited antisemitism from the previous "centrist" Labour party. It's like Rush Limbaugh claiming that nothing Donald Trump did matters when he was still registered as a Democrat, because - he was a Democrat then, not a Republican. Labour is a dangerous cult.

by Anonymousreply 313December 12, 2019 10:28 PM

Ah, for the days when right wing propaganda pushed the narrative of terrorist Commie Jews.

by Anonymousreply 314December 12, 2019 10:29 PM

When you start looking at the results, tonight would have been even worse for Labour, if the Brexit Party hadn't split the Brexit vote in some areas. For instance in Houghton & Sunderland South, the Labour candidate held on, even though her majority was slashed from 12,341 to only 3,115. She got 16,210 but the combined vote of the Tory and Brexit candidates was 19,260. Jeremy Corbyn can thank Nigel Farage for this being only catastrophic and not an Armageddon level wipeout.

by Anonymousreply 315December 12, 2019 10:58 PM

R295, if you voted for Luciana Berger then how can you be in a safe Labour seat, given that Finchley and Golders Green is Tory?

by Anonymousreply 316December 12, 2019 11:23 PM

R316 I think they meant Luciana Berger was the reason they voted Lib Dem, not that they actually voted for her.

by Anonymousreply 317December 12, 2019 11:26 PM

Here's what sane rational people should take away from tonight: 1) The UK is leaving the EU for sure now. No second referendum, no more stalling in Parliament. 2) The people of the UK clearly believe that Corbyn is more toxic than Boris Johnson. 3) If Labour ever wants to win another election, they need a new leader. 4) Scotland is pissed.

by Anonymousreply 318December 12, 2019 11:32 PM

If Corbyn tries to stay on as leader, Labour needs to Princess Diana him.

by Anonymousreply 319December 12, 2019 11:38 PM

Labour needs to drop the commie crap and stop coddling social justice warriors and get back to real issues.

by Anonymousreply 320December 12, 2019 11:39 PM

Consecutive Conservative majorities -- what do the average UK citizens have that is affordable and better than the National Health Service, how does leaving the EU benefit the majority, do the majority of UK voters believe the national budget is fair?

I'm asking because every election I mostly encounter Labour voters crying in their beer. I don't read anything about get out the votes, or anyone tweeting pro-Tory policies or pro-Brexit agitprop. And no, I don't gaze at the online Guardian only.

by Anonymousreply 321December 12, 2019 11:40 PM

R319 I think there are enough true believers in Corbyn's cult of personality that he might be able to remain. Even though the vegetables he grows on the allotment have more personality than him.

by Anonymousreply 322December 12, 2019 11:42 PM

Alan Johnson laying into Momentum and the Corbynites is glorious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323December 12, 2019 11:46 PM

Out with the commies, cry the gutter press, as they usher in a new world of peace and freedom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324December 12, 2019 11:48 PM

R323 I watched that live, it was great. Plus, Ed Balls was also there and pointed out that Momentum has a lot to answer for.

by Anonymousreply 325December 12, 2019 11:52 PM

Workington just flipped to the Conservatives.................first time the constituency has voted against Labour in 100 years!

by Anonymousreply 326December 13, 2019 12:25 AM

Darlington too....Labour heartland is crumbling.

by Anonymousreply 327December 13, 2019 12:30 AM

The lesson that should be taken from this election, across the English speaking world, is that if you view a large segment of the population with condensation and dismiss them as ignorant racist bigots and therefore unworthy, they will rise up and harm you.

by Anonymousreply 328December 13, 2019 12:35 AM

Ken Livingstone just blamed Jews for election loss.

by Anonymousreply 329December 13, 2019 12:42 AM

R329 Damn, is he hoping to be the new party leader?

by Anonymousreply 330December 13, 2019 1:48 AM

Jeremy Corbyn JUST RESIGNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 331December 13, 2019 2:24 AM

Corbyn just announced that he will NOT lead the party in another election but will remain until a new leader is chosen.

by Anonymousreply 332December 13, 2019 2:25 AM

Bye Felicia!

by Anonymousreply 333December 13, 2019 2:27 AM

He said he's not going to fight another election, but staying on as leader for now.......he implied that the reason Labour shank was because of Brexit and the media and he did nothing wrong!

by Anonymousreply 334December 13, 2019 2:28 AM

R331 He didn't resign he just said he won't lead another election. Since this Parliament can conceivably last for a full five year term, he could drag this out for a while.

by Anonymousreply 335December 13, 2019 2:29 AM

Lib Dem Leader Jo Swinson has lost her seat

by Anonymousreply 336December 13, 2019 2:44 AM

R336 That had to hurt for her, it was extremely close.

by Anonymousreply 337December 13, 2019 2:47 AM

Tonight:

Conservatives be like: "Thank god we didn't vote for Theresa May's deal."

Labour be like: "We should have voted for Theresa May's deal."

by Anonymousreply 338December 13, 2019 2:52 AM

Right now the knives are out for Jeremy Corbyn as the Labor Party is set to suffer its worst result ever.

They are losing long held seats, some they have held for 50 years, some of the safest Labor seats. It seems Labor voters are voting Conservative just to get on with the Brexit deal once and for all

That is why these Labor voters are switching their vote - the question is WHY couldn't the Labor Party see this in their polling and change their election strategy? They shouldn't have even consented to an election.

WTF were they thinking?

by Anonymousreply 339December 13, 2019 2:56 AM

R339 It was Jo Swinson and Lib Dems, that made the election happen. It didn't pay off for her.

by Anonymousreply 340December 13, 2019 2:59 AM

Bahaha, I’m watching Nicola Sturgeon on BBC now barely containing her glee. She is an absolutely hilarious and ridiculous figure and I don’t think we have a counterpart for her in American politics, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 341December 13, 2019 3:08 AM

Lollll, now Theresa May is on, and the guy keeps asking her why Boris succeeded when she failed. I actually feel bad for her.

by Anonymousreply 342December 13, 2019 3:12 AM

R341 She can be a gleeful as she wants, but I just don't see a Boris Johnson government granting a new referendum.

by Anonymousreply 343December 13, 2019 3:15 AM

R317, given that Luciana Berger only just joined the Lib Dems and she has no chance of winning, it's an interesting reason to vote Lib Dem. I wonder if r295 used to vote Labour just for Luciana Berger.

by Anonymousreply 344December 13, 2019 3:17 AM

Jo “No such thing as biological sex” Swinson booted.

by Anonymousreply 345December 13, 2019 3:20 AM

R344 Luciana Berger has a 61% chance of winning according to the exit poll, but her constituency hasn’t declared yet and will be very close

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346December 13, 2019 3:22 AM

R344 I didn't say R295 was logical.

by Anonymousreply 347December 13, 2019 3:23 AM

I've been watching the ITV coverage on a youtube live stream, and this is what I have decided. I'd really like to see a George Osborne and Ed Balls hosted political show. Also, I find George Osborne sexually attractive.

by Anonymousreply 348December 13, 2019 3:37 AM

Wrong link, r346. But, I guess if Luciana does win then she can run for Lib Dem leader now that Jo Swinson is out.

For what it's worth, that's a constituency close to mine and I hope Luciana does win.

by Anonymousreply 349December 13, 2019 3:38 AM

Sounds like what happened in American elections in Nov. big result to one party

by Anonymousreply 350December 13, 2019 3:43 AM

Someone on the telly saying “Jo Swinson didn't lose, she can still identify as an MP.”

by Anonymousreply 351December 13, 2019 3:45 AM

Luciana lost, r346.

by Anonymousreply 352December 13, 2019 4:08 AM

R352 Yes and it wasn’t even that close in the end. Guess it really will be a Tory landslide

by Anonymousreply 353December 13, 2019 4:10 AM

Luciana did well though, with a massive swing of 25%. More Labour voters should have backed her, the Labour candidate had no chance.

by Anonymousreply 354December 13, 2019 4:14 AM

Just how bad a night was it for Labour? Dennis Skinner lost after 49 years.

by Anonymousreply 355December 13, 2019 4:17 AM

Dennis Skinner insisting on standing again at the age of 88 just shows the arrogance of the Labour hard left.

by Anonymousreply 356December 13, 2019 4:23 AM

[quote] Just how bad a night was it for Labour? Dennis Skinner lost after 49 years.

Again safe Labour seats they have held for decades have gone Conservative, because Labour voters just wanted Brexit to go through. And if they had to vote against Labour and for Conservative, they were prepared to hold their nose and vote that way

Labour should have realized that their own supporters supported Brexit and come up with a better election strategy

by Anonymousreply 357December 13, 2019 4:26 AM

R357 The problem was that Labour decided to focus on the voters they wanted instead of the voters they had. Because they are embarrassed by the old Labour voters. It is similar to how the Democrats lost Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin because they wanted to focus on the urban professionals and minorities, while abandoning the white working class and their concerns.

by Anonymousreply 358December 13, 2019 4:32 AM

On course to be the worst Labour result since 1935 and on the back of a working class revolt against Labour.

If the Democrats want to learn anything from this election it might be that most people are broadly left economically but broadly conservative socially. And it seems that it is far easier for a right wing party to move left economically (as Johnson has done with spending pledges etc) than it is for a left wing party to move right socially.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359December 13, 2019 4:40 AM

Except r357 and r358, the vast majority of Labour voters actually want to remain in the EU but - despite that - the party's policy was in fact to leave the EU. The problem was Corbyn, who is an extremely obnoxious sanctimonious git, and it's the opposite of what you say: Corbyn is obsessed with the working class and fantasises himself as their saviour. Labour's real problem, which will prevent it from ever winning a general election again unless something changes, is that it has lost practically all support in Scotland - and Scotland is pro-EU, liberal aspirational and outward-looking,

If there is a lesson in this for the Democrats in the US, it's that you have to be moderate and centrist and not romanticise the working class or present yourself as their saviour.

by Anonymousreply 360December 13, 2019 4:55 AM

^ To add: and that people easily tire of moralising, sanctimonious, tedious old gits a la Corbyn, Bernie, AOC, etc.

by Anonymousreply 361December 13, 2019 4:58 AM

The People have spoken.

by Anonymousreply 362December 13, 2019 5:01 AM

I'm a longtime silent observer on Brexit and election threads, but if there is anything Labour must have learned by today, at least, is that any sort of racism, anti-semitism or solipsism doesn't really work

by Anonymousreply 363December 13, 2019 5:26 AM

does this mean Trump and Johnson are going to work out trade deals bringing US and UK together but isolating from rest of the world?

by Anonymousreply 364December 13, 2019 6:47 AM

Please pray for DL fave and Corbyn-surrogate Owen Jones during this difficult time.

by Anonymousreply 365December 13, 2019 10:26 AM

R358/360/361, I know it's hard for people who write "-ise" to see clearly across the Atlantic, but there really aren't close parallels between the situation of Labour in the UK and the situation of the Democrats in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 366December 13, 2019 11:50 AM

It's almost exactly the same, no matter how you spell it, R366. Self-important center left politicians (B Clinton/Obama/Blair/Brown) sell their constituency out for a generation, replaced by uncharismatic wonks (H Clinton/D Miliband) and then unelectable ideologues (Corbyn/Sanders or Warren) who can't/won't play hardball with a media-savvy ruthless right (Johnson/Trump). The same people work for both groups and run the same fucking script. Stick your American exceptionalism up your exceptionally naive ass.

by Anonymousreply 367December 13, 2019 12:07 PM

Nicola Sturgeon caught by Sky reacting to Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson losing her seat to the SNP's Amy Callaghan:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368December 13, 2019 12:13 PM

R367: your schema falls apart when you compare Warren and Sanders to Corbyn. It generalizes too broadly about social policy versus economic. It misrepresents the American working class. It ignores the special situation of Brexit. It leaves out the influence of other parties in Britain, particularly the SNP. It ignores the difference between a parliamentary system in which elections for the legislature determine those for the head of government, and the separate elections for each in the U.S. It ignores the largely pro-Democratic results of the elections since 2016 and the current polls that show any of the top five or so Democrats with more support than Trump (that could change, but there's no difference between the "moderates" and the "liberals"—the breakdown has more to do with name recognition).

And if you think that pointing out the differences between the political situations of two countries is a case of "exceptionalism" on one side, you need to check your own exceptionally naive ass.

by Anonymousreply 369December 13, 2019 12:22 PM

My heart sank when I heard this morning that Corbyn says he won't stand for re-election but hasn't actually resigned. He's hoping to wait until the outrage dies down.

by Anonymousreply 370December 13, 2019 12:24 PM

We’re fucking fucked. Right up the swanny. Goodbye United Kingdom, goodbye NHS and goodbye Europe. Sorry to all the vulnerable people that are going to suffer, die or kill themselves because of ongoing cutbacks, let downs and right wing lunacy. Never saw shit like this coming in my lifetime.

I guess it’s all going to plan for Vladimir. All of this is a very tough pill to swallow and everything feels very bleak at the moment. That last glimmer of hope that things might change has gone. This country is full of small-minded, selfish and stupid Little Englanders. I’ve never been more ashamed of being British, and I’ll never forgive the people that voted for this oncoming shit show.

Canada, will you take me? I’ll be your insatiable bottom bitch. x

by Anonymousreply 371December 13, 2019 12:26 PM

R365 Owen must have a bad head game I'd he offered this and Labour still lost so badly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372December 13, 2019 12:26 PM

Why the Left think it can win with uncharismatic people who can’t relate to working class people?

by Anonymousreply 373December 13, 2019 12:57 PM

Why do cunts think politicians have to be charismatic, R373? They’re glorified administrators, not movie actors. x

by Anonymousreply 374December 13, 2019 2:58 PM

[quote] Corbyn is obsessed with the working class and fantasises himself as their saviour.

The problem is that he, and others like him, think they know what is best for the working class instead of actually listening to what the working class is telling them they want. The hard left always has a problem with the really rich and the poor. Look at the Russian Revolution, it was the rich and the peasants that were harshly dealt with and killed, and it is the same in most such revolutions the world over. It is always jumped up middle class intellectuals who hate those above them and feel contempt for those below them. It is also why they usually end in failure. The rich tend to be rich because they are good at managing money and resources, and the lower classes are required in order to build or produce anything. If you get rid of either of them and their skill sets it is disaster. You can’t have a country of nothing but middle class intellectual middle managers.

by Anonymousreply 375December 13, 2019 3:01 PM

R371 why be sorry for them? A huge number of them just voted overwhelmingly for those outcomes. The Tories intentions are no secret.

by Anonymousreply 376December 13, 2019 4:49 PM

Lmao @ r368. She is such a star.

by Anonymousreply 377December 13, 2019 5:15 PM

R374, you’re vile dude

by Anonymousreply 378December 13, 2019 5:59 PM

As a leftist, I’ve always supported policies that would help the poor. After seeing how they vote consistently against those same policies, I’m becoming less concerned and losing my sympathy for the poor and disadvantaged.

by Anonymousreply 379December 13, 2019 6:35 PM

R379, you presume poor people should necessarily put their economic interests above other interests, such as religious, ethnicity, and overall culture.

by Anonymousreply 380December 13, 2019 6:38 PM

R380 and maybe that’s why they remain poor.

by Anonymousreply 381December 13, 2019 8:31 PM

R379, don’t let it get you down that you and the poor have a different opinion on what the policies are that will help them.

by Anonymousreply 382December 13, 2019 8:40 PM

R379 is exactly why people are sick and tired of the left.

by Anonymousreply 383December 13, 2019 8:46 PM

R378 Your point is...? x

by Anonymousreply 384December 13, 2019 9:46 PM

R379 Your problem is you think the poor wants what YOU think is better for them. But many lower class people are fine being poor. Yes, they don't want to live in abject poverty, but many are happy to have enough to live in a trailer park, buy beer and/or weed, afford to go hunting, have a nice tv, etc... they don't care about getting more, they consider themselves comfortable and happy. And, that is alright, everyone doesn't need to want to have ever more and more.

by Anonymousreply 385December 13, 2019 10:31 PM

I suspect that the poor and disadvantaged are fed up of being patronized by well off lefties who think they know what's best for them and then become angry when said poor and disadvantaged dare to think for themselves and vote accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 386December 13, 2019 10:53 PM

[R379] might verbalize why some are sick and tired of the left. The "left" does not mean a group of people who strive to become better and prod and prompt their children to become something better than they were. My parents were immigrants from an impoverished, rural area and I was expected to go to college (or university as it's referred to in Europe) from the time I was in kindergarten. Literally, I kept hearing about "college" and "university" from my parents who had to leave formal education around the ages of 13 (father) and (15) mother during the Spanish Civil War.

[quote]As a leftist, I’ve always supported policies that would help the poor. After seeing how they vote consistently against those same policies, I’m becoming less concerned and losing my sympathy for the poor and disadvantaged.

Noblesse oblige will be back in style once the poor are in seasonal food lines when their employment is deemed necessary by the nobles and underpaid as the historical trend.

They should have taken the chance while they had it. No long term thinking, just what will purchase the next wide screen TV they think puts them on par with the richie riches in at least one way. And I have kept reading on threads about the UK how many working class families shame their children for striving for something better, like an education or how they resent or are threatened by their offsprings' upward social mobility.

Somehow, they do not seem to mind that a portion of their youth is substantially and proudly criminal, despite success stories of climbing a social ladder without the crutch of criminality. It happens...

by Anonymousreply 387December 13, 2019 11:12 PM

I saw two voters from Blythe Valley in Northumberland this morning. Both were generational Labour voters, as everyone there has been, the seat has been Labour since its inception. What they said was that in their view, over the last 50 years, Labour had nothing to help the area, they felt taken for granted, and it was time for change and new blood. The woman added that she couldn't stand Jeremy Corbyn. She also said that the decision, given her long years of voting Labour, was so hard that her pencil actually hesitated over her ballot before she finally marked it for the Conservatives.

These people sounded thoughtful, sad, sincere, and realistic. Several opinion pieces, one in particular, said plainly that Labour had become the party of the comfortable urban classes, and that people in places like Blythe Valley had indeed been pushed into the background - there is also an urban/non-urban conflict here. One journalist said that Labour failed to realise how unappealing to people in places like Blythe Valley was a Marxist programme run by middle-class elites in London. Corbyn is a millionaire and Islington is a very nice, leafy area, hardly Middlesborough or the West Midlands.

I think there is a lesson here for the Democrats in America - Trump got a leg up by the left becoming the party of urban elites, not of people in the Rust Belt, and exploited it.

The divide is not just between the left and right, or Tories and Conservatives, or Republicans and Democrats. The divide is actually inside the progressive movement itself, which has, as one other resident of Blythe Valley said, forgotten that its roots were forged within and by the working classes.

by Anonymousreply 388December 14, 2019 1:02 AM

R379 Marxists detest the rich. That doesn’t mean they like the poor.

by Anonymousreply 389December 14, 2019 2:03 AM

I agree with the dude's take fully. Basically he argues, The results of the election were only a surprise to people not paying attention to the national mood. Leave or Remain, the further you got from London, the more people craved certainty. Voters wanted this Brexit gridlock to end, and Boris was the most viable solution. The SNP vote isn't so much about independence as it is about the SNP being the only viable alternative to Labour or Conservatives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390December 14, 2019 2:30 AM

[quote] [R317], given that Luciana Berger only just joined the Lib Dems and she has no chance of winning, it's an interesting reason to vote Lib Dem. I wonder if [R295] used to vote Labour just for Luciana Berger.

I consider myself to be on the liberal centre left - pragmatic rather than dogmatic, sensible taxation with focus on strong public services and a safety net for the most vulnerable, including enhanced benefits, and progressively socially liberal views although not "biological sex is a spectrum" liberal.

I voted Blair and Brown but for the last few elections have voted Lib Dem, mainly because of the direction of Labour and the leadership issues of Miliband (ugh) and Corbyn (ugh x 10) and the malign influence Gammon King Len McCluskey has over them.

The way Jew hate has inhabited the Labour party and been enabled by Corbyn and his sycophants has been horrific and the dignity Luciana Berger has shown throughout this has been exceptional. Even though I'm not in her seat I voted for my Lib Dem candidate as the best of a bad bunch.

Worth noting that Owen Jones and his far left troll army have been insisting Lib Dem and Green voters in marginal Labour seats have a moral duty to vote Labour to stop Boris Johnson, yet AT NO POINT did they advise Labour voters to support Lib Dem candidates in marginal seats where they were standing against very right wing Tories. In fact Labour members were sent to Luciana Berger's area to canvas support for her Labour opponent who had no chance of winning.

Corbyn's crew would rather have a pro Brexit right wing Tory than a left wing Jewish woman bullied out of the party.

Roll on the Equality & Human Rights Commission's report in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 391December 14, 2019 8:59 AM

Last night on Newsnight, the failed Corbyn cheerleader Faiza Shaheen debated Jack Straw, who spent 13 years in government as part of the Blair/Brown government.

Shaheen dismissed criticism of Corbyn over anti-semitism and his support for terrorist organisations as "media lines" and told Jack Straw that the Blair/Brown and Harold Wilson governments hadn't been transformative.

Jack Straw was MP for Blackburn for 36 years, and took over the seat from Barbara Castle, who represented Blackburn for 36 years.

Imagine being so fucking deluded that you don't see Labour governments as transformative.

by Anonymousreply 392December 14, 2019 9:13 AM

[quote] The hard left always has a problem with the really rich and the poor. Look at the Russian Revolution, it was the rich and the peasants that were harshly dealt with and killed, and it is the same in most such revolutions the world over.

Off-topic, R375, but the "hard left" (in Imperial France, in Imperial Russia, etc) generally had no "problem" with the "poor". The problem they had was how to drag 100+ million poor people out of the Stone Age. According to a 1900 Imperial census (pre-Revolution), the Eastern Empire's peasants (the majority of that Empire's 100+ million dirt-poor population) were illiterate, without access to even basic life necessities like primary schools and hospitals. The "hard left" generally benefitted the super-poor - because many of those living in mud-huts suddenly got subsidised basic housing with electricity and in-door plumbing, healthcare and primary schools - basic things that super-poor people could never afford previously. The "poor" majority literally had little to lose - in the pre-1900 Imperial feudalist system, they were already living at rock bottom and used like slaves & dying cannon-fodder for centuries. The ones who were "killed" were largely the aristocrats and "middle-class" farmers - but those were in the minority, because in those mismanaged Empires, most Imperial citizens were dirt-poor, starving and desperate enough to support any new system that finally promised them at least some basic sustenance like simple "bread".

by Anonymousreply 393December 14, 2019 11:00 AM

The other problem for Labour at the momentum is that it is being run by and for ideologues. The far left clings to ideology and ignore reality. Today John McDonnell was interviewed and said that obviously the changes in Labour would include listening to people in those communities that had voted Tory for the first time after decades of being Labour's backbonne.

That is what did not happen over the last 40 years, and although no one mentioned it, the elephant in the room was immigration, which is the first of several issues in which Labour didn't listen, but instead made it clear to those constituencies that it did not care what their concerns were, because the first tenet of ideological socialism is internationalism. Again, this represented a divide between London and the other regions of England, particularly, although Tony Blair bears much of the responsibility here.

It also represented a divide between Corbyn and his party, because he's a long-time eurosceptic and voted against every single treaty. He also knows that by the terms of those treaties, nationalisation of public services is forbidden, and that is also one of the primary tools in bringing about a "socialist revolution".

So Labour, an officially REMAIN supporting party, landed itself with a privately LEAVE supporting eurosceptic leader, which is why he was so lukewarn on REMAIN during the runup to t ahe referendum, because Momentum wanted a strong ideological socialist at the top of the party, which also put Labour on a collision course with those embittered communities in the West Midlands and the Northeast.

It was all about pushing an ideological vision forward and in doing so, Labour steamrolled over the real people in its base.

Personally, nothing scares me more than ideologues, whether on the left or the right.

Reality is always more nuanced than ideology. Ideology is a place to start, but it has to blend with reality at some point. The Momentum cabal that really ran Corbyn and Labour are pure ideologues, and in the end, that became Labour's downfall.

by Anonymousreply 394December 14, 2019 1:47 PM

^*at the moment . . .

by Anonymousreply 395December 14, 2019 1:49 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396December 14, 2019 2:23 PM

What Labour should have done is commit itself to seeing that the outcome of the referendum was respected. It had a right to put a case forward for REMAIN if that was truly the party's view, but having seen the vote in tne West Midlands, Wales, and the post-industrial Northeast, it should have thrown its weight behind the result. It didn't. It put respecting the outcome in its manifesto in 2017, but it was half-hearted at best.

The other issue, and this I think undermined Ed Miliband in 2015, as well, as the last few Labour leaders give the impression that they hate Britain for not being a perfect socialist paradise. There was no warmth in the way they spoke about the country, you had the sense that they were accidentally British by virtue of being born here, but would have been happier in Cuba or France or Sweden.

The folk outside the urbane internationalist centres in London are far more patriotic, and I suspect that Corbyn, particularly, hates this country, and that didn't go down well, either.

The 2017 GE result was better for Labour because May was such a wet mess, the Tory mainfesto was abysmal, and the full impact of the government dragging its feet over BREXIT, still trying to reverse the outcome without coming out and saying so, hadn't yet come to full boil.

Say what you like about Johnson, he had a better sense of what people outside London were wanting, including getting BREXIT fucking done already and ceasing to try to undo what the government itself had brought about by agreeing to the referendum and promising to stand by the result. Labour just went on with their ideological agenda, and putting it about that he could put that through just by taxing the rich was absurd. The Danes' fantastic benefits system is supported by the highest taxes in the developed world - everyone pays.

It never sounded coherent or realistic.

by Anonymousreply 397December 14, 2019 2:45 PM

Maybe Corbyn's original idea to get on with Brexit and not have Labour stand in the way was the correct one. I always thought it strange that Corbyn seemingly had no interest in Europe - but a deep one in Latin America and the Middle East. One that point he truly did have his finger on the pulse of Labour voters in the North

by Anonymousreply 398December 14, 2019 3:09 PM

Does anyone else think Corbyn may be on the autism spectrum? The black-and-white thinking, the inability to see the woods for the trees, the failure to read the public's reactions...

by Anonymousreply 399December 14, 2019 3:10 PM

His sons looks good though. The youngest ( and shortest ) one looks exactly like him lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400December 14, 2019 3:11 PM

Liberals and progressives need to realize sometimes you lose forever. You often do get do-overs if you miss your big chance. You can whine, March, riot, but you lost. Trump’s election will have consequences the rest of this century that won’t be undone.

by Anonymousreply 401December 14, 2019 3:15 PM

Liberals and progressives need to realize sometimes you lose forever. You often do get do-overs if you miss your big chance. You can whine, March, riot, but you lost. Trump’s election will have consequences the rest of this century that won’t be undone.

by Anonymousreply 402December 14, 2019 3:15 PM

[quote]Maybe Corbyn's original idea to get on with Brexit and not have Labour stand in the way was the correct one.

Labour's, and specifically Corbyn's, problem is the clash between the voters and the party members, who are much further to the left of the general electorate, but far more anti Brexit.

Labour's 2017 manifesto committed to leaving the EU and ending freedom of movement, despite it being against the wishes of the overwhelming majority of party members. When they had the opportunity to vote for a deal (negotiated by Theresa May) which left the EU, kept membership of the customs union, via the Northern Irish backstop, and ended free movement of people, Labour voted against it THREE TIMES.

After the European elections in May where Labour did appallingly most of the criticism was along the lines of "when you stand in the middle of the road you get run over". September saw the stitch up at the party conference where members wanted party to be unambiguously pro EU but the unions and fixed it so it didn't happen. And Corbyn's stance in the election of being neutral was ridiculed by everyone.

An utter failure in leadership and Labour has paid the full price.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403December 14, 2019 7:02 PM

[quote] I saw two voters from Blythe Valley in Northumberland this morning. Both were generational Labour voters, as everyone there has been, the seat has been Labour since its inception. What they said was that in their view, over the last 50 years, Labour had nothing to help the area, they felt taken for granted, and it was time for change and new blood.

It took 50 years of neglect before they decided to change their vote?? I can’t understand this kind of blind loyalty to a political party, and I really can’t understand “generational” voters, who blindly vote the way their parents did. It’s not healthy for a democracy when voters don’t examine the current issues and the specific views of all the candidates and then make their voting choice accordingly. Maybe this will change in these constituencies that have been frozen in time.

by Anonymousreply 404December 14, 2019 8:10 PM

Labour has failed to understand a fundamental change that has occurred in British society since Thatcher took power, namely the fostering of a can-do mindset among many people. One previous Labour support, when asked why he voted Tory said that the Labour manifesto was about giving money to everyone, but that while he had no problem with the state giving a helping hand, people needed to be able to strive to make it, or else they could never appreciate the value of what they actually had.

Nobody wants to go back to the socialist fuck up that was the 1970s with unions flexing muscle and threatening the elected government, and mass strikes, and that's where Corbyn wants to go. He also wants to unilaterally disarm the UK, and presides over an inherently anti-Semitic party.

by Anonymousreply 405December 14, 2019 11:03 PM

LOL at Caroline Flint spilling the tea on Lady Emily Thornberry telling a fellow MP in a leave seat "I'm glad my constituents aren't as stupid as yours".

Fucking LOATHE Thornberry and her "the gays love me" shit and "my children have Jewish heritage!" excuses for her pandering to Corbyn and tolerating all the anti Jewish stuff.

Hopefully she'll still run for leader for the fun of being humiliated/

by Anonymousreply 406December 15, 2019 10:40 AM

Thornberry is one of the most ambitious but least palatable of those jockeying to replace Corbyn as Labour leader. She is abrasive and, like Diane Abbott, sent her children to selective schools rather than the local comp. Someone commented at the time that whilst commending her common sense as a parent, he deplored her political hypocrisy. Islington South and Finsbury aren't exactly Blythe Valley, and we circle back to Labour's leadership out of touch with Labour's roots.

The Guardian once described Thornberry's constituency as:

"A part-grand, part-poor metaphor for New Labour; Tony Blair lived here prior to his election as prime minister. Its dinner tables are routinely maligned as the natural habitat of the hypocritical, well-off, ostensibly liberal "chattering classes".

Her husband was knighted, by the way, so she is entitled to call herself Lady Nugee.

And then they wonder why the Red Wall collapsed.

by Anonymousreply 407December 15, 2019 3:15 PM

No doubt Boris will bring total chaos to the country.

by Anonymousreply 408December 15, 2019 8:44 PM

isn't it already total chaos?

by Anonymousreply 409December 16, 2019 12:47 AM

Blaming Boris Johnson for Britain's shambolic state is ludicrous. It was David Cameron who pushed the referendum, it was Parliament who agreed to it, it was May who flailed and failed, and it was Labour that made its own mess.

by Anonymousreply 410December 16, 2019 3:46 AM

Boris will bring strength and dignity to this country. I hope he will ban the burqa after Brexit is done.

by Anonymousreply 411December 16, 2019 3:52 AM

There are currently 6 nations in Europe that have banned the burqa: Austria, Denmark, France, Belgium, Latvia, and Bulgaria.

The burqa should have been banned completely across Europe 50 years ago so that European countries would attract the immigrants most likely to integrate with Western democratic values, instead of being interested only in being left alone to set up small foreign countries inside the host country. Parts of Switzerland have done the same, as well.

Britain was moronic not to do so, unable to tell the difference between "multiculturalism" and a population of diverse peoples who share civic and social values. Only now is Britain realising its mistake, but I doubt it can backpedal.

Denmark this year enacted laws allowing government to fine immigrant families who are not integrating into Danish society, i.e.g, not learning Danish, impeding their children learning Danish, etc. Denmark isn't interested in seeing happen to it what happened to Sweden.

by Anonymousreply 412December 17, 2019 3:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!