Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

California just legalized the salvaging of roadkill

Coming to a fancy restaurant near you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 29, 2019 7:52 PM

Why not? We totally busted a hunter selling a young dead deer (in a bucket no less) through the back door of a German restaurant in NJ a couple of years ago. The chef was all "Umm, I cut it up for people as a side business blah blah, even though their specialty is venison. Hey at least we know it's fresh.

by Anonymousreply 1October 29, 2019 10:07 AM

By busted I mean caught, we didn't report him. R1.

by Anonymousreply 2October 29, 2019 10:09 AM

Makes sense. As long as people don't drive after deer to run them down for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 3October 29, 2019 11:04 AM

^^ Which is what some people WILL do, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4October 29, 2019 11:11 AM

R4 and if they get killed that way, can they be salvaged as road kill. Like for body parts?

by Anonymousreply 5October 29, 2019 11:43 AM

^^ sure, why not? ^^

by Anonymousreply 6October 29, 2019 1:48 PM

r3 I once got told the law here in the UK is that if you hit an animal it's illegal for you to stop and pick it up for dinner, but any car after you can do. Presumably that's to discourage hunting by car.

by Anonymousreply 7October 29, 2019 1:55 PM

I was always under the impression that the sheer blunt force trauma of a car impact caused organs to rupture/leak all over internally and made the meat "tough" to salvage. Quite different from hunting.

by Anonymousreply 8October 29, 2019 2:14 PM

[quote]Eating Roadkill Is Our Future, and That’s Okay

No, it's not okay.

If people can't maintain the required sanitary conditions at a controlled facility, how could roadkill possibly.

Not to mention, who knows how many hours or days the animal has lain on the side of the road.

by Anonymousreply 9October 29, 2019 2:42 PM

"Would you like gravel with that?"

by Anonymousreply 10October 29, 2019 3:51 PM

Hey-- they gotta feed all those homeless people something.

by Anonymousreply 11October 29, 2019 4:18 PM

This will end well. (Cars + Homeless ? )

by Anonymousreply 12October 29, 2019 4:19 PM

My father worked for the state Game Commission and they would take deer to the local prison to be used to feed prisoners. If they were mangled to much they were taken to “the pit” deep in the woods where vultures watched from the trees above.

by Anonymousreply 13October 29, 2019 4:35 PM

R13, do you think that happens anymore? I bet those food service companies like SYSCO wouldn’t view that too kindly.

by Anonymousreply 14October 29, 2019 4:38 PM

It's the circle of life R5.

by Anonymousreply 15October 29, 2019 7:27 PM

That's nasty.

by Anonymousreply 16October 29, 2019 7:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!