Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do people hate vegans?

[quote]It has left the beige-tinted margins and become social media’s most glamorous look. But why does veganism still provoke so much anger?

[quote]A charge commonly laid against vegans is that they relish their status as victims, but research suggests they have earned it. In 2015, a study observed that vegetarians and vegans in western society – and vegans in particular – experience discrimination and bias on a par with ethnic and religious minorities.

Long article, with even AOC making an appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 20, 2019 8:48 PM

I've been asking myself this the last couple of weeks, OP. There's really no accounting for it.

by Anonymousreply 1October 28, 2019 12:17 PM

Wait, Tulsi's vegan? How am I only learning about this now? I thought Booker was the only one.

by Anonymousreply 2October 28, 2019 12:20 PM

Vegans are the trannies of dining.

by Anonymousreply 3October 28, 2019 12:21 PM

They make planning dinner parties a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 4October 28, 2019 12:24 PM

The problem with Vegans is not what they eat, it's their attitude: holier than you, often anti-science, preachy etc.

by Anonymousreply 5October 28, 2019 12:27 PM

Because as my brother said, I know it's the right way to go -- I just don't want to do it.

People feel guilty when confronted with a better way when they don't want the better way.

That's why most vegans I know keep their veganism to themselves. A barrage of hatred follows whenever you mention it to others.

Weird.

by Anonymousreply 6October 28, 2019 12:27 PM

We hosted two artists for a month, both vegans. They never tried to “convert us” or gave us glaring looks when we ate meat and cheese. But their meals always seemed to consist of a curry stir fry, and we’re still trying to get the smell out of our home.

by Anonymousreply 7October 28, 2019 12:28 PM

Because they tend to be self-centered assholes who are at best an inconvenience and at worst narcissistic martyrs who consider anybody who eats meat or animal products to be baby killers and think they’re the fucking messiah for refusing to drink normal milk.

by Anonymousreply 8October 28, 2019 12:59 PM

I was hesitant to say that I hate vegans. It seemed too strong a sentiment. But after reading the article I had a change of heart, and I must profess that vegans are insufferable. And that goes double for Moby.

by Anonymousreply 9October 28, 2019 1:24 PM

Not a single vegan on DL, according the the poll?

R9 Eurgh, of course Moby would be a vegan. 😑

by Anonymousreply 10October 28, 2019 1:26 PM

I’m close friends with two vegans. One is completely reasonable a great cook and doesn’t lecture. The other is a complete hypocrite and pain in the ass. Besides having a history of inadvertently causing pet deaths due to carelessness (turning off a fish filter because it was too loud etc) She has the nerve to come to my small apartment and yell at me for making eggs. After that I’ve iced her out.

by Anonymousreply 11October 28, 2019 1:27 PM

I hate vegans because they won't shut up about being vegans.

by Anonymousreply 12October 28, 2019 2:03 PM

I hate carnivores because they won't shut up about hating vegans.

by Anonymousreply 13October 28, 2019 3:43 PM

Marketing has brainwashed everyone to think meat is normal and healthy. Deep down inside, everyone knows this is wrong.

People are upset with their own stupidity and take it our on others. Read above and see all the hostility to vegans.

Americans hate being told what to do unless they are told it will make them attractive.

by Anonymousreply 14October 28, 2019 4:10 PM

How is eating meat NOT normal? People have been eating it for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 15October 28, 2019 4:16 PM

More like millennia. Hundreds of thousands of years, actually.

by Anonymousreply 16October 28, 2019 4:18 PM

As it gains more popularity with increasing science to back it up, it's a growing threat to the meat and dairy lobbies which continue to protect their interests via social media (already chimed in here again). Vegetable farmers aren't as wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 17October 28, 2019 4:23 PM

The self-righteousness, Op, the self-righteousness. “But I AM a precious Vegan, Blanche, I AM!”

by Anonymousreply 18October 28, 2019 4:26 PM

I have NEVER met a vegan, R6 that has kept it to themselves. Oh that it were true.

by Anonymousreply 19October 28, 2019 4:27 PM

Case in point: R14.

by Anonymousreply 20October 28, 2019 4:28 PM

When I was 7 years old, there was a commercial on TV that showed a man in front of a huge table full of food.

He said that if you wanted to get all the nutrients you need, you would have to eat all of this food or take this vitamin.

Then he shoved the vitamin towards me.

I was 7 years old when I realized I was being scammed.

I guess some of you have never realized this.

by Anonymousreply 21October 28, 2019 4:41 PM

I don’t mind vegetarians and eat very little meat myself, but cooking for vegans is hard. You can’t use any dairy products and when they come over I feel bad that they end up with some little bit of salad on their plates. It’s just too much, but I respect it if that’s what they want to do.

by Anonymousreply 22October 28, 2019 5:41 PM

R19, you have probably met plenty. But they kept it to themselves.

I’ll admit it - I’m intimidated by their self-control. I can’t even completely quit drinking or lose 20 pounds.

Vegans definitely have a reputation for being insufferable, but I haven’t seen it myself. I’m not sure I even know any vegans. I’d never heard the theory brought up in this thread that meat and dairy lobbies encourage negative attitudes towards vegans. Makes sense.

Being vegan seems a little elitist to me. It would be very, very difficult to manage a job and family on a budget and achieve a healthy vegan diet.

I should try it!

by Anonymousreply 23October 28, 2019 6:06 PM

I don't hate vegans.

I just hate anyone who proselytizes, and that includes religious nutters, political activists, SJW scolds, and vegans who like to harangue meat-eaters.

by Anonymousreply 24October 28, 2019 8:33 PM

Have an extra glass of cow's milk today DL vegan haters! America's top dairy just filed for bankruptcy due to the trend of decreased consumption of cow's milk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 3:51 PM

Because they are usually millennials.

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 3:56 PM

BAD JOKE ALERT!How do you know if a person is a vegan?Because they will tell you.

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 3:57 PM

I don't have a problem with a vegan diet - each what you want.

I despise most self-proclaimed based on their behaviors:

- Hectoring attitude about eating non-vegan.

- Self-righteousness and moral superiority for their choice of veganism.

- Lack of willingness to compromise. Fine, just because you're a vegan doesn't mean we must eat at vegan only restaurants. There are vegan options at many restaurants.

Honey, you weren't born that way. It's a personal choice. I'll respect yours and you respect mine. Of course, it's usually respect my choices, and I'll lecture you about yours.

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 4:01 PM

Vegans are usually smug preachy assholes about how awful it is to eat anyway other than exactly as they do, often piping into other people's social media to point that out. THAT is why people hate them.

Here's a joke:

An ice cream truck was serving some kids one day. It ended up being late for its next stop, and so had to close up the window and head to the next street. As the driver was pulling away he saw a woman in yoga pants running up to the truck. He looked in the rearview mirror and shook his head NO to show her he couldn't stop. But the woman just kept following the truck anyway. Wow the driver thought, she's persistent. The truck drove three blocks to the next stop, and the driver saw her the whole time, following him, in his rearview. So finally her gets to the stop, and opens the window, wondering what she's going to order. "Wow, you must really want ice cream!" the driver said, "it's on me, what can I get you?" The out of breath woman smiled and said, "oh no, I don't want ice cream -- I'm a vegan. I just wanted to tell you that."

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 4:10 PM

I usually find them irritating overall but then some of them will proclaim they are making their dogs and cats (and human babies) be vegan and i immediately revert back to fucking hating vegans.

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2019 4:18 PM

I only hate them if they're hateful about it. But I would hate trying to cook or bake for them, so I don't.

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2019 4:27 PM

If God didn't want us to eat meat, he wouldn't have made it taste so good!

by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2019 4:45 PM

[quote]Vegans are the trannies of dining.

r3- OMG, LOL! I've gotta hand it to you, r3- THAT was good, haha!

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2019 4:50 PM

Like Evangelical Christians never stop going on about how they are Christians, vegans never stop going on about how they are vegans. And like Evangelicals, vegans expect everyone else to follow suit. Pray to whom you wish and eat what you wish. Just don't demand I do the same.

by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2019 7:52 PM

I think vegans are on the right side of morality and have no issue with them whatsoever. I wish I had their willpower. However, when the militant ones start piping up and try to enforce their way of being on other people, that’s when I start getting irritated. I feel the same way about the transgender and feminist communities - crack on, but don’t be telling me how I should behave or think or feel. x

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2019 7:58 PM

I’m vegan and I have zero interest in converting anyone unless they’re genuinely interested. I’ll happy go to a omnivore restaurant and my friends happily accompany me to vegan ones ( Montreal has some great ones) It’s not overly complicated. My partner is vegan also, I couldn’t see dating an omnivore seriously. It’s akin to a smoker dating a non smoker

by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2019 8:05 PM

I don't hate them at all, as a matter of fact, I love to eat them! Marinated in a bit of buttermilk, then breaded, pan fried in schmaltz, chicken fried vegans are delicious with a country cream gravy! They're very nutritious, on account of all the vegetables they eat. Try one for dinner tonight!

by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2019 8:24 PM

The only vegans I hate are the ones who think because they are vegan that everyone has to make the same choice and anyone who doesn't is a horrible person.

by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2019 8:40 PM

People who hate vegans are usually right-wingers. Notice the Piers Morgan quote in that article....

by Anonymousreply 39November 12, 2019 8:46 PM

So in other words, vegans.

by Anonymousreply 40November 12, 2019 8:46 PM

R40 was a reply to r38

by Anonymousreply 41November 12, 2019 8:47 PM

Because they claim it's a "better" way, as r4 has so annoyingly done. For whom? You? Not for me.

by Anonymousreply 42November 12, 2019 9:01 PM

Deplorables hate anyone who's not an uneducated, 300 lbs moron like them.

by Anonymousreply 43November 12, 2019 9:55 PM

R29 That was funny

by Anonymousreply 44November 14, 2019 3:51 PM

R29 is why people hate non-vegans too.

by Anonymousreply 45November 14, 2019 3:54 PM

Farhad Manjoo, 8/28/19

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 14, 2019 3:55 PM

Why did the vegan cross the road?To tell you that they are a vegan!

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2019 3:27 PM

I am plant based. I don't male a fuss. But the science clearly shows that eating animal protein is bad. I want to minimize my heart disease and cancer risk.

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2019 3:35 PM

🐄🐄🐔🐔🐖🐖 are delicious 😋!

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2019 3:42 PM

The wacky vegans are more outspoken and by definition more erratic. Maybe vegans are like dogs, where 90% of them are okay and 10% of them are horrors, and even the normal ones hate the whackjobs.

The wacky don't know that they're wacky . They're like NRA spokespeople, repeating overgeneralizations because going beyond that means confronting icky science and inconvenient truths.

"The science clearly shows that eating animal protein is bad."

Science backs a pescetarian eating style. Scientists have long observed that including fish in your diet is a healthful habit. Whether it's the lack of saturated fat-laden red meat, high intake of fruits and vegetables, heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids in fish, or abundance of minerals in shellfish, a pescetarian diet is a great way to keep your body healthy. A pescetarian diet means lowering the risk of anemia and diabetes. All types of fish are packed with nutrients, including vitamins D and B2 (riboflavin), and the minerals iron, zinc, iodine, magnesium, and potassium. Fish is also rich in calcium and phosphorus, which are important for bone health. Where zinc is concerned, look to oysters, which are one of the best sources of zinc you can find: a 4-ounce serving of oysters provides about seven times the recommended daily amount of zinc. Mussels are a great source of selenium and iron, while clams are also rich in selenium, along with about one-quarter the daily amount of calcium you need.

Any diet proselytizer outside of omnivore (the easiest, most common way of eating) should be prepared to present a week's worth of meals that exceed the Recommended Daily Allowance of nutrients including methycobalamin and omega-3 fats. Preferable: one with anti- or low-inflammation foods, and a 60% protein, 30% fat, 10% carbohydrate profile for those who seek weight loss.

One can easily state "the science says..." without providing examples. When my brother lost sixty pounds in six months on a vegan diet I was happy for him. I wasn't happy for his family when he died from a pulmonary embolism. My friends have lost thirty to sixty pounds going low-carb, and report feeling improvement in energy. One has fewer medications as a result. To a whackjob a three-paragraph general interest health article on Yahoo! is as good or better than six citations of medical journal abstracts collected from PubMed.

I don't read cautions about denatured and oversweetened processed foods, industrial seed oils, carcinogens in food additives or preservatives from wacky vegans. Yet those substances are detrimental to human nutrition and good health.

Wacky vegans protest against factory farming, but I don't see photos of activists blocking supermarket shoppers in the seafood display section. I have zero interest in switching to a diet that in the longterm will make me forget most of what I've learned about nutrition and ways of eating. Having a close blood relation die early makes one rethink one's diet and lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2019 4:11 PM

Ah the China Study?

Sorry but science backs the plant based diet ...this nation is in a health crisis of obesity , diabetes, and heart disease.

Look up Dr. Greger, Dr. Essylten, and Dr. McDougall.

For such a progressive board, DL is soo resistant to the plant based diet. Maybe it is because associate it with nut loaf and lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2019 2:58 AM

They insist upon themselves.

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2019 3:08 AM

[quote]Deplorables hate anyone who's not an uneducated, 300 lbs moron like them.

I know a few vegans fitting this description. They're the type that eat lots of grains (usually processed) and fruit smoothies, but very few actual vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2019 3:16 AM

Vegans always ruin dinner parties. Vegetarians are just so much easier and so much more interesting and aren't the insufferable bores that vegans are.

by Anonymousreply 54November 20, 2019 3:21 AM

[quote]Marketing has brainwashed everyone to think meat is normal and healthy.

No, our genes did that. Humans developed superior brainpower when they began eating meat hundreds of thousands of years ago, because meat provided energy stores that simply weren't available from plants. With the added energy, humans could spare more brainpower on things like hunting, for which they needed to use tools and communicate, things that promoted a larger brain; hunting in turn yielded meat, brains got larger, etc. etc.

I'm not explaining it very well but there is no doubt among evolutionary biologists that mankind evolved because it ate meat.

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2019 3:30 AM

There are a few radical vegans on Twitter that love to heckle disabled people who have health reasons for not following strict vegan diets. Some of the disabled are vegetarians and some are even vegans who refuse to post that a meatless diet magically cured them. Two of my friends have alternate accounts specifically for following the never-ending drama. The tweets are fascinating to scroll through for the purposes of identifying various mental disorders.

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2019 3:33 AM

The ignorance of people is amazing. Watch the doc Game Change, about vegan athletes. It is amazing the people that are meat eaters that bitch about vegans being intolerable when their post just show how intolerable they are. We all have a diet preference for whatever reason, but to claim how superior you are because you are a meat eater is ridiculous. BTW, most cultures don't treat meat as the main course, but as a flavor to the food. The American diet is unhealthy and is probably why health cost are so out of line with the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2019 3:40 AM

R57 who are these "most cultures don't treat meat as the main course, but as a flavor to the food." places? Almost everywhere I've ever traveled had meat or fish as central to most meals, and I've been a fair number of places. I'm curious to know.

Personally, I think more less meat one can eat there better. Vegan is likely healthiest.

by Anonymousreply 58November 20, 2019 3:48 AM

^^"less" not "more less".

Sorry, old fart posting while high

by Anonymousreply 59November 20, 2019 3:50 AM

I was raised by anarchist parents so I've been a vegetarian my whole life.

Most people don't even know of my diet options unless it involves us going out for dinner. My dad is the opposite of me and will make it clear to anyone anywhere about it. My brother eats meat. My sister doesn't.

As R6 pointed out I keep it to myself because of the hostility and would never preach at anyone because if you can't see the hypocrisy of feeling sorry for your cats and dogs but not cows or chickens, you're a moron anyway. Why bother?

I do think myself morally superior as you can see , I'm just too old to care as I reach my mid thirties.

You can all die of your diseases brought by hormones and meat consumptions as karma for eating sentient beings I really don't care.

Thanks for the anonymity here. I'd never say it out loud in public.

by Anonymousreply 60November 20, 2019 4:23 AM

THAT is why people hate vegans ^^^

by Anonymousreply 61November 20, 2019 5:24 AM

THAT is why people hate vegans ^^^

by Anonymousreply 62November 20, 2019 5:24 AM

Vegans friend, what we suppouse to do with the livestock now? They are domesticated animal, there have no place in nature anymore, you can't install them without destroying the ecosystems. They also have high requirements, people needs to invest on feeding them, they can't survive in nature. What we do with those animal you want to "save", Extinct them? What happend with all the people working on animal production? Let me guess, it's not your problem.

by Anonymousreply 63November 20, 2019 5:46 AM

The 'meat is bad' stuff is not from the meat in itself, but by the way that American companies tend to inject chemicals and feed animals corn and other stuff. America is very shockingly third world when it comes to nutrition.

by Anonymousreply 64November 20, 2019 5:57 AM

A vegan diet is not sustainable by the way. The vegan industry has fooled people into thinking their way is the healthiest and most eco-friendly. There are many cases of people who have suffered health issues from a vegan diet and slowly felt better when meat/dairy was incorporated back into their diet.

by Anonymousreply 65November 20, 2019 6:04 AM

Most people are cutting back on meat. People are eating more fruits, vegetables and grains. People are adding Vegetarian and Vegan dishes in for some meals during the week. Investment in vegan meals with animal free protein are INCREASING. Fast Food Chains are even doing this only because of consumer's requests. Also, people are trying to improve the conditions and treatment of animals. It is happening. It's a good thing.

This is something to be happy about.

by Anonymousreply 66November 20, 2019 6:19 AM

I don't like fanatics.

by Anonymousreply 67November 20, 2019 6:29 AM

I have two vegetarian friends. Vegan is a bit harder to cook for or choose a restaurant to dine at - however, I additionally have a great vegan friend who adheres to this belief and she is amazingly easy to satisfy. I realize that many get a bad rap, but in my experience - these individuals are as gracious and easy to please as most anyone. Perhaps I am lucky to have such wonderful friends? Maybe. That said, these individuals who I spend a LOT of time with would NEVER shame me, bitch, complain or even think of making a meal out or cooked in my home uncomfortable for me in any way. They often silently figure out what to eat or not and never say word either way. I suppose that I have great friends.

by Anonymousreply 68November 20, 2019 6:51 AM

^^Sounds like Joan Jett might be one of your friends! Well, she's vegetarian, but still... :-)

by Anonymousreply 69November 20, 2019 7:05 AM

Asian cuisines do use meat more as a flavoring....the traditional stir fry for instance.

Maybe meat did help us to evolve. But now in 2019- Americans eat too much meat...it is clogging our arteries and causing diabetes.

Another movie to check out is Forks Over Knives.

This vegan debate is like climate change - just another inconvenient truth.

by Anonymousreply 70November 20, 2019 12:35 PM

R60 Same here. I'm a vegetarian but won't say it unless I really have to. I'm sick of people wanting to turn my choices into a debate as if I need to justify myself.

by Anonymousreply 71November 20, 2019 12:59 PM

Same here. I never say I am vegan unless I need to. Otherwise- I get a barrage of nonsense/defensiveness thrown my way.

by Anonymousreply 72November 20, 2019 1:33 PM

R63, care for them until they die of natural causes -- like we do with our pets. Big undertaking and impractical for many people but, if one comes to believe that all creatures are equally deserving of humane treatment, one would consider the effort and expense to be worthwhile. It may be a chore to care for grandma during a long decline, but most of us take a deep breath and cope with it despite the temptation to plop her on an ice floe and push it out to sea.

by Anonymousreply 73November 20, 2019 8:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!