Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Confused about HPV testing

Close to 20 years ago, a doctor told me that a blood test showed I had “been exposed to HPV.”

I was thinking about this because I am 41 now and I have developed several small skin tags on my neck. So I was reading about HPV online and I see that there is apparently no test for HPV in men, only women.

So, like, why did the doctor tell me that so long ago? Was a test available back then but recalled?

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2019 2:17 AM

Was it before you transitioned to be a man OP?

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2019 10:52 PM

He said you have HIV not HPV.

by Anonymousreply 2October 27, 2019 10:55 PM

No R1 and R2. Neither of those things.

by Anonymousreply 3October 27, 2019 10:56 PM

As I understand it almost every sexually active person is exposed to HPV at some point in their lives and that generally the virus clears the system on its own. If you weren't in the generation that now gets the vaccines it is almost impossible to have avoided it, was my understanding.

by Anonymousreply 4October 27, 2019 10:58 PM

Yeah, R4, and I accept that. No vaccine in my younger days, and I was slutty (with condoms—so no, no HIV, thank God). I’m sure I was exposed to various HPV strains.

My dad also has a ton of weird skin issues that I’ve clearly inherited and these things could be that. But when I was Googling skin tags I found that a “low-risk HPV” strain can cause skin tags on the neck.

Really though I am just wondering how this doctor tested my blood for HPV nearly 20 years ago when there is no test today.

by Anonymousreply 5October 27, 2019 11:03 PM

The vaccine prevent the cancerous strains of HPV, not all strains.

If you’re sexually active, you likely have been exposed to some strain of HPV. Most of them just wash out of your body after time. The cancerous ones don’t.

This is why the HPV vaccine is recommend even for those who are up to 45 years old. It just hasn’t been tested in those above 45 but should be given to them as well

by Anonymousreply 6October 27, 2019 11:09 PM

I would think you should ask a doctor and not the dumb queens on here OP. Since you are in the middle of transitioning we can’t really give you a solid answer. Have you had the bottom surgery yet OP?

by Anonymousreply 7October 27, 2019 11:28 PM

OP, I’ve not been exposed to HPV, according to lab tests, yet I have a few skin tags.

by Anonymousreply 8October 27, 2019 11:33 PM

R8 Skin tags are not necessarily related to HPV, but evidently sometimes an HPV virus can cause them on the neck. Again, it’s more likely a hereditary thing. My dad’s dermatologist told him, “you don’t have the most moles I’ve ever seen on a person...but you’re definitely a close second!” It’s some sort of disorder, and it’s more than normal-looking moles. So yay.

And yes I know this is a question for doctors but since there are so many older, formerly promiscuous gay men here I thought I’d ask around and see if anyone remembers HPV tests for men years ago.

by Anonymousreply 9October 27, 2019 11:38 PM

Well, I remember a test and that I was positive for HPV too, but that was so long ago and I'm so old and one of "the dumb queens*" that I can't remember what my doctor said.

J/K, he said everyone sexually active is or has been exposed to HPV; be sure to get regular anal checkups and a colonoscopy every 10 years starting at 50.

*Really, R7? It's a good thing you've never had a cold or the flu, because otherwise we'd have to call you a rancid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 10October 27, 2019 11:47 PM

Yes but OP is transitioning to a female.

by Anonymousreply 11October 28, 2019 12:12 AM

Ugh, R11, just shut up. How old are you? You’re like a gnat. Are you Milo Yiannopoulos?

by Anonymousreply 12October 28, 2019 12:18 AM

Do you wear undershirts? Are you carrying a few extra pounds? Skin tags are entirely common in both scenarios.

Sometimes - I'd reckon most - a skin tag is just a skin tag.

by Anonymousreply 13October 28, 2019 12:20 AM

R13 Yes, regarding undershirts. What does that have to do with anything?

I’m technically average/normal weight but have become soft. 5’11”, 173lb. I don’t have layers of skin folds or anything.

by Anonymousreply 14October 28, 2019 12:25 AM

OP the estrogen hormones are what make you soft. Are you also wearing a properly fitted bra?

by Anonymousreply 15October 28, 2019 12:32 AM

Skin tags are common and, as in your situation, can become even more common as people age.... Friction may play a role in development of skin tags. Commonly they are located where skin rubs against skin or clothing. Frequently, they develop on the neck, underarms and eyelids, as well as within body folds, such as under the breasts or in the groin area. In some cases, skin tags seem to be associated with obesity, and genetic factors also appear to play a role. Unfortunately, there's no way to minimize the risk of developing skin tags.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 28, 2019 12:32 AM

You can get tested. You in danger gurl, if you have type 16 and/or 18,

by Anonymousreply 17October 28, 2019 12:36 AM

Thanks for posting a picture r16. Too bad other people can’t do the same.

by Anonymousreply 18October 28, 2019 12:39 AM

R17 “No, there is currently no approved test for HPV in men.

Routine testing (also called ‘screening’) to check for HPV or HPV-related disease before there are signs or symptom, is not recommended by the CDC for anal, penile, or throat cancers in men in the United States. ”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 28, 2019 12:39 AM

As a millennial, I think HPV will end up being the health crisis of our generation in 20-30 years, especially for men who will end up getting cancer and not living past middle-age. Mark my words. The healthcare and pharmaceutical companies have foreseen it, so out of greed they will not push the vaccine or testing for men.

There is so much misinformation about it out there. Doctors do not even test men for it, and they still only want to vaccinate little girls, even though the CDC has approved the vaccination for those up to 45.

My best friend got it from her husband before they got married. He had no symptoms, and of course she ended up getting genital warts.

I have asked two doctors for the vaccine, and you would not believe the confusion around it. It's like a huge black hole in the medicine world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 28, 2019 12:49 AM

Honestly, I don't care if I live or die anymore

by Anonymousreply 21October 28, 2019 1:17 AM

Ok, I like to eat ass. This dude from grindr wants me to eat his ass but says he has a few warts. I’m NOT gonna eat his stuff!

by Anonymousreply 22October 28, 2019 1:22 AM

There is no blood test for HPV, it's done with a cell sample. In people with vaginas it's a PAP smear with cells scraped from the cervix. In people without vaginas it's a similar sample taken just inside the anus. Just had one on Wednesday, waiting for the results.

by Anonymousreply 23October 28, 2019 1:22 AM

No, I said, "Buy an SUV". Make an appointment for a hearing test.

by Anonymousreply 24October 28, 2019 1:46 AM

#21 = Joy Behar

by Anonymousreply 25October 28, 2019 1:47 AM

I remember it being said that the HPV shot probably does nothing after 20. I wish they’d finally figure out if that’s true or not.

by Anonymousreply 26October 28, 2019 1:51 AM

R20, men with HOV are only dangerous to chicks. Unless you’re straight you have nothing to worry about. HPV is more dangerous to women.

by Anonymousreply 27October 28, 2019 1:53 AM

R27 Not entirely true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 28, 2019 1:55 AM

You are an idiot R27.

by Anonymousreply 29October 28, 2019 2:09 AM

People who have moles live longer. Something about telomeres.

by Anonymousreply 30October 28, 2019 2:20 AM

I have a friend who died of anal cancer. He was a little embarrassed about the word “anal”. I asked him once if it might be “related to being gay? I don’t think I was more specific than that, but that’s clear enough, isn’t it? I was wondering if it was related to this HPV virus. He said there was no connection, but I wonder if he just might have been embarrassed to say so.

Is it? Is this maybe why my friend died? He was a young 52.

by Anonymousreply 31October 28, 2019 2:38 AM

Men dying from HPV is pretty unheard of. Women getting HPV from infected men can get all kinds of cancers including uterine.

by Anonymousreply 32October 28, 2019 2:59 AM

“Anal cancer is closely related to a sexually transmitted infection called human papillomavirus (HPV). Evidence of HPV is detected in the majority of anal cancers. HPV is thought to be the most common cause of anal cancers.”

(“Stop smoking. Smoking increases your risk of anal cancer. Don't start smoking. Stop if you currently smoke.”)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 28, 2019 4:31 AM

I don’t hear many gay men getting throat or oral cancer (can be related to HPV) or anal and rectal cancer (Likely related to HPV, unlike colon cancer)

by Anonymousreply 34October 28, 2019 7:19 PM

Never heard of skin tags being caused by HPV

by Anonymousreply 35October 28, 2019 7:19 PM

My friend died of anal cancer at age 52. He might otherwise had another 20 years. Even 40 years, easily.

by Anonymousreply 36October 28, 2019 8:48 PM

R35 “Other research has associated skin tags with elevated leptin, C-reactive protein, and fasting insulin levels.

Many skin tags harbor human papilloma virus (HPV). Researchers found HPV 6 and HPV 11 DNA in 71% of the skin tags that they biopsied (N = 35). However, HPV 6 and 11 are low-risk viruses. HPV may be a contributing factor in the development of skin tags.”

So HPV is associated with them but I guess that doesn’t necessarily mean it can cause them. They may be some sort of repository for the virus.

by Anonymousreply 37October 28, 2019 8:49 PM

I'm 33, at 27 a doctor found a papilloma tumour in my throat, Papilloma are caused by HPV virus. I'm convinced I got it from oral sex. It was a sizable tumour and was cutting off my air supply as I slept and I had been diagnosed with sleep apnea. It wasn't cancerous. Subsequently I don't do oral anymore but I guess it could have been caused by anything, even kissing.

by Anonymousreply 38October 28, 2019 9:02 PM

I was diagnosed with anal cancer 3 years ago and my doctor said it was caused by HPV. I thought it was weird because I've only had anal sex twice, over 25 years ago. I did the chemo and radiation and am cancer free, so I wonder, do I still have HPV, or did it go away too? I know it's a stupid question, but if I still have HPV and have already had cancer, wouldn't the same cancer be more likely to return?

by Anonymousreply 39October 28, 2019 9:24 PM

r39 I thought the same thing. Do I still have HPV. I asked the doctor and he couldn't tell me??

by Anonymousreply 40October 28, 2019 9:37 PM

All these young fools who use prep and therefore think it's fine to bareback will be sorry one day.

by Anonymousreply 41October 28, 2019 9:42 PM

Prep with that short clipped way they say it. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 42October 28, 2019 11:51 PM

R38, I may absolutely horrify you so you may not want to read further.

R33, I once dated a guy and I saw had warts on his dick. He said “no they’re papilloma. My doctor told me.” I told him, “that’s the same thing”. “Papilloma” is the medical term for venerial warts. So, it sounds like you had warts in your throat. I don’t think it is rare. I think that’s what happened to Michael Douglass. He has said he got his throat cancer through cunnilingous.

If you’re still reading, I hope you had your tumor removed and it doesn’t come back! Wishing you good health!

by Anonymousreply 43October 29, 2019 1:04 AM

r43 Rubbish. I don't know what doctor told you that. Condylomata Acuminata is the medical term for venereal warts.. Genital warts are an infection caused by HPV. Intraductal papilloma are a benign epithelial tumor also caused by HPV. There are many strains of HPV and while genital warts are certainly caused from unprotected sex, papilloma can be have multiple causes. HPV is everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 44October 29, 2019 1:26 AM

[quote]Smoking increases your risk of anal cancer.

My ass is up to a pack of Marlboro Reds a day.

by Anonymousreply 45October 29, 2019 1:50 AM

Ok, I yield.

When I was 23 I had a tall, dark, and handsome French Canadian boyfriend. He was very sexy, and also had syphilis, gonorrhea, hepatitis, and venerial warts. So, it made me very cautious. I was an early adapter of condom use, so even though I was young and lived in Provincetown in the early 1980s, I’ve managed to avoid HIV.

I ran into the boyfriend a decade or two later, in PTown, of course. We passed each other, then we both turned, having delayed recognition. It was really nice seeing him again. He had chronic liver problems as a result of his hepatitis experience. At that time, I recall reading that 50% of all gay men caught hep B. It’s very serious. I harangued all my friends to get the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 46October 29, 2019 1:52 AM

{quote]He was very sexy, and also had syphilis, gonorrhea, hepatitis, and venerial warts. So, it made me very cautious.

Is it tough being a genius?

by Anonymousreply 47October 29, 2019 1:55 AM

R47, he didn’t announce this to me when we met, genius R47. We found out later. I just remembered, he had crabs, too.

I’m so glad there were no bedbugs, then.

by Anonymousreply 48October 29, 2019 2:06 AM

VD is for everybody. Even nice boys like you. Click the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 29, 2019 2:08 AM

[QUOTE] As I understand it almost every sexually active person is exposed to HPV at some point in their lives and that generally the virus clears the system on its own. If you weren't in the generation that now gets the vaccines it is almost impossible to have avoided it, was my understanding.

Uh, if it cleared your system on it's own that means you don't have the virus and you should get the vaccine Mary.

by Anonymousreply 50October 29, 2019 2:12 AM

Just in time, OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 29, 2019 3:00 PM

I get my health info on DL? I put questions marks on statements?? I type upspeak???

by Anonymousreply 52October 29, 2019 3:04 PM

Gay men should have pap smears for HPV in the anus, especially if they're HIV positive. Anal cancer is a growing concern among sexually active gay men.

[Quote]Almost 620,000 gay and bisexual men in the United States were living with HIV in 2014, and 100,000 of these men were not even aware of their infection. These men are 100 times more likely to have anal cancer than HIV-negative men who exclusively have sex with women. Yet, no national screening guidelines exist for anal cancer prevention in any population.

[Quote]Anal cancer is predominantly caused by chronic or persistent human papillomavirus (HPV) infection. HPV infection can lead to the development of anal precancer which, if remains undetected or not adequately treated, may lead to anal cancer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 29, 2019 4:33 PM

[quote]He was very sexy, and also had syphilis, gonorrhea, hepatitis, and venerial warts.

[quote]I just remembered, he had crabs, too.

Sounds like R46's boyfriend was also sleeping with Jerri Blank!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 29, 2019 5:03 PM

Someone posted this in another thread!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2019 1:02 AM

OP, it sounds like at the time you might have produced some kind of antibodies to HPV, which would only happen if you had been exposed.

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2019 2:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!