Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Black cats

Don't you love 'em?

I do. They're my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 1, 2019 1:19 AM

I have two of them, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1October 26, 2019 1:56 AM

Pay special attention to them around Halloween. Protect them from violence.

by Anonymousreply 2October 26, 2019 1:56 AM

I’ve got a black cat. I’m very careful she doesn’t escape at this time of year.

In other news, she has now decided the dining table is her. She lies on it during the day, and I have to open the windows so she can watch the golf carts go by.

by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2019 1:59 AM

Hers ^^

by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2019 1:59 AM

I have had 4 in my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2019 1:59 AM

OP, I guess I am in the process of adopting one. Neighbor has one that she captured in her yard and has been feeding but can't keep. She asked if I wanted her and I caved in!

by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2019 1:59 AM

R6, bless you for adopting her! 💛👍

by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2019 2:01 AM

I just saw this tommy not ten minutes ago and decided I want to get one immediately. The money shot is at 19:36. 😍

Though I don't know why its tail seems so short... Accident?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 26, 2019 2:01 AM

🎃 For Black Cats, Halloween is definitely not [italic] The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year.

by Anonymousreply 9October 26, 2019 2:05 AM

Black leopard - if you look closely you can see the spots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 26, 2019 2:05 AM

R7, thanks! I already have two older, sometimes ornery cats, so my only concern is introducing them! We'll see how that goes..

by Anonymousreply 11October 26, 2019 2:06 AM

They are beautiful. I have one. Her name is Wednesday Addams. My baby.

by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2019 2:09 AM

I have a black cat named Mocha, and a beige tabby named Latte.

I found these sweet female kittens hiding out in my garage during the brutal winter last year, and felt compelled to bring them inside where it was warm, safe, and cozy.

Eleven months later, they're both spayed, vaccinated, and still living here. Who would have thought, me living with two females!

by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2019 2:16 AM

I have two, Monkee and Boo Bear. They're good boys!

by Anonymousreply 14October 26, 2019 2:29 AM

A witch's favorite pet!

by Anonymousreply 15October 26, 2019 3:12 AM

Forgot the photo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2019 3:13 AM

The house next to my grandmother’s. It looked like this in the 1960s, but was refurbished a few times since then. It quickly reverts to looking like this, again. Notice all the windows are blocked from the inside, suggesting a vampire nest. Maybe a crack house. It’s got some nice stained glass windows.

However, you have to click on the link to see that there is a black cat sitting on the granite steps up front. That was unplanned and unexpected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2019 3:57 AM

My parents won't let me get a cat or a dog!

by Anonymousreply 18October 26, 2019 4:11 AM

Bless you, R13! ❤️

by Anonymousreply 19October 26, 2019 7:59 AM

I have three black tortoiseshells. One has a pure black face and I love to see her little green eyes floating in that face. I do not like violence and I do not like guns. But I have one in my drawer and should I ever see anyone outside my house hurting a black cat or any other animal, I will not hesitate to pull that gun out. Some sicko murdered two swans on my street many years ago, and it was devastating. I was not there at the time but I swore I’d be protection for those that needed it. Thankfully I have never needed it. The sicko who killed the swans was burned alive in a crashed stolen car two months later. Karma is a bitch and she doesn’t lose an address.

by Anonymousreply 20October 26, 2019 8:45 AM

R20, I love you. 💕👍👍👍

by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2019 8:47 AM

My Hermione is all black. I named her after the character in Harry Potter. We are in-love. I have terminal cancer, but she keeps me going.

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2019 9:00 AM

I love all the cats.

Sorry R22.

by Anonymousreply 23October 26, 2019 9:04 AM

The first cat who ever owned me was a black, long-haired, Siamese mix I called Cinder. She was very talkative and had such a pretty voice— which she used to great effect with trills to emphasize her point. She was very opinionated.

by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2019 9:06 AM

R24 and his current clowder of four (Baby, Betty, Bumble & Chip) send lots of love, hugs and purrs to r22 and Hermione!

by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2019 9:12 AM

Black cats are my favourites. I've had a few over the years. Currently, we have Zeke, an enormous neutered male. He's extremely laid back and sweet-natured. We got him from the local SPCA. He has only one eye, but the remaining eye is a gorgeous bronze/amber colour. He lost the eye a couple of months ago in a freak accident, and the subsequent medical treatment cost us close to $2000. But that's okay, anything for the cat. During his ordeal he had to take a number of medications but took them like a gentleman, which is rare in cats, because I've seen cats fight like demons to get away when meds are administered. Fortunately, my partner is a vet tech and has a wonderfully calming effect on kitties.

BTW we never let any of our cats out at any time of the year unless they're leashed and accompanied.

by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2019 9:16 AM

I've had three black cats over the years. The first one got sick soon after I adopted him and I had to put him down, the second ran away one night and never came back (hoping that someone found him and gave him a good home) and the last I had to give away because I was going to be out of the country for four years. I get updates regarding my last cat since his new daddy is a Facebook friend.

I didn't intend to adopt black cats, it just worked out that way.

by Anonymousreply 27October 26, 2019 9:44 AM

I love most cats (don't like any with pushed in faces, crinkly fur or no hair breeds though). I've never owned a black cat but think they are adorable.

by Anonymousreply 28October 26, 2019 9:51 AM

I have never had a black cat of my own, but I sure liked Clydie Feinstein and Pepper Kelly-Weinberg, each in his respective day. I could never consider a black cat unlucky. Or unlikable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 26, 2019 12:17 PM

My sweet Dylan is a black haired, green eyed brilliant jokester, named after Dylan Moran (a black haired, green eyed brilliant jokester. Also, gorgeous.....

by Anonymousreply 30October 26, 2019 3:10 PM

Mine deals with the people who annoy me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 26, 2019 3:21 PM

I was claimed by a black cat when I went to the SPCA with a friend for a pet.

I'm not a day person at all and I already have a dog I love. But this cat was so friendly and beautiful.

And I'm obviously a sucker. They get along pretty well and there's plenty of love here for everybody.

by Anonymousreply 32October 26, 2019 3:30 PM

My favorite. I’ve had two, both very silly and mischievous.

by Anonymousreply 33October 26, 2019 3:38 PM

Le Chat Noir

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 26, 2019 3:41 PM

Cole the naughty black kitty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 26, 2019 3:49 PM

I can see now that my whole life was about black cats. And continues to be.

by Anonymousreply 36October 26, 2019 3:57 PM

I have two cats: one ginger, one black. The black one is very sweet but also a weird mixture of timid and mischievous. His name is Moon.

by Anonymousreply 37October 26, 2019 4:01 PM

Grey is better. The elegance of black cats and they match everything too but they photograph better.

by Anonymousreply 38October 26, 2019 4:07 PM

Love black cats. Beautiful

by Anonymousreply 39October 26, 2019 4:12 PM

Chat Noir!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 26, 2019 5:29 PM

I had 2 black cats, one female, the other male. I loved them so much. The male was very graceful and full of silly mischief. They've been gone a long time now, but I still miss them so much.

by Anonymousreply 41October 26, 2019 6:02 PM

R41, do you currently have any cats?

by Anonymousreply 42October 26, 2019 9:22 PM

I cannot imagine a life without a cat.

😺 Or three !

by Anonymousreply 43October 26, 2019 9:51 PM

R42, yes. I adopted 2 sisters from a shelter event. They were older and looked so scared huddled together in a cage. They're Tuxedo cats. So, they're black and white!

by Anonymousreply 44October 26, 2019 10:16 PM

Previous residents have sadly abandoned their cats at our gated condo complex. They were joined by local strays. Residents got together and fixed all, built mini homes for shelter, and arranged for twice daily feedings.

Recently noticed 2 beautiful black cats have joined the cluster. I inquired as to their safety re Halloween but was assured all will be OK.

by Anonymousreply 45October 27, 2019 2:35 AM

Yes, but they always choose me. My dogs are black too. Black animals have a tougher time finding homes, they think because their features are less noticeable, creating a subconscious bias. I always liked them though.

I read that black cats are healthier in general. Some even have developed immunity to certain, common feline diseases. It has to do with them inheriting dominate genes that are just better quality. I noticed they tend to be intelligent and better at survival too.

As much as I love a variety, there's a hint of something wild in them -- could be the myths surrounding them, but they have an heir of mystery about them.

And yes, keep them safe. Black cats have been harmed and killed by terrible people, especially around Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 46October 27, 2019 3:55 AM

Black cats are SILLY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 27, 2019 4:01 AM

[quote]Black animals have a tougher time finding homes, they think because their features are less noticeable, creating a subconscious bias.

I knew that was true about cats R46 but I had heard (and believed) that it was because people were (moronically) suspicious about adopting them. Witches/bad luck or some such bullshit. Didn't know the poochies were also having a tough time. Your explanation makes a lot of sense.

One of my all time greatest cats was a black female with a tiny splash of white on her chest. She was so beautiful! Her eyes were yellow with a distinctive circle of green around the iris. And man - was she smart. Very social, loved people coming over. And so, so loving. I miss her with all my heart and she has been gone for many years now.

Can't have pets where I'm at. Which leads me to give far too much attention to the dogs out walking with their owners (I know it can be annoying for the owners but it lifts my spirits so.) Unfortunately, you don't get that same opportunity with kitty cats.

by Anonymousreply 48October 27, 2019 6:36 AM

Please consider adopting black cats and dogs. ❤️

Here’s a Wikipedia entry about “black dog syndrome.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 29, 2019 7:18 AM

My neighbor has a black cat but I suspect she's a voodoo priestess.

by Anonymousreply 50October 29, 2019 2:23 PM

Way to perpetuate the myth R50 (although I'm sure you're just joshing.)

I forgot to mention in my previous post the way we even got Delia. A woman my boyfriend at the time worked with had brought in a litter of kittens to try and find homes for them. Apparently her son had been away at Summer Camp, he and his friends became friendly with a pregnant cat and when it came time to leave he had somehow managed to smuggle the kittens home and hid them in his closet. I'm not sure how long they were there before the mother discovered them.

I think there was 6 of them and she said anyones that weren't adopted would go to the ASPCA at the end of the day. All but the tiny black one were adopted. My BF just felt horrible for the little smudge and brought her home. We were living in Hoboken at the time and he was so embarrassed because this kitten that had been so quiet all day - howled like a banshee all the way home on the bus.

Nobody wanted a black kitty. Fools! Thank God for their ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 51October 31, 2019 5:34 AM

Now I am forever jinxed after seeing that cat.

by Anonymousreply 52October 31, 2019 5:39 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 31, 2019 5:59 AM

My dream cat. I was blessed to have a tuxedo for a while

by Anonymousreply 54October 31, 2019 6:04 AM

I wear a lot of dark colors and would love to give my light-haired cat a dye job.

by Anonymousreply 55October 31, 2019 6:43 AM

Keep 'em indoors tonight people

by Anonymousreply 56November 1, 2019 1:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!