Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Kate Winslet not the biggest waste of talent in the acting world?

She is perhaps the greatest actress of her generation aside of Cate Blanchett but her filmography is utter garbage. It’s sad to see. She had so much potential in her early years.

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2019 10:24 AM

Now, you can SHUT YOUR FUCKIN' MOUTH right now, with that trash!

by Anonymousreply 1October 26, 2019 12:17 AM

She probably wouldn't even be an Oscar winner if she hadn't had Weinstein's pull to get her one. Does she even act anymore?

by Anonymousreply 2October 26, 2019 12:22 AM

r1 It’s true, you can count the number of good Winslet films on one hand, the number of at least decent on films on both hands. It’s sad to see from an actress of her caliber over 20 years into her career.

by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2019 12:25 AM

I have no feeling for this heifer of a woman who made Leo look like a gnat in 'Titanic'.

Her upper lip has a natural sneer like Elvis Presley had.

I didn't like the way she squatted down and urinated in the dirt in that film (that I can only half-remember).

by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2019 12:34 AM

Are you high, OP? She’s made some excellent films: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Sense and Sensibility, Little Children, and Revolutionary Road.

Plus she enabled full frontal nudity from German twink David Kross in The Reader.

by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2019 12:45 AM

r5 Wow, you just counted all of the good Winselt films which is the exact point. She’s over 20 years into her career, an actress of her acclaim she had have more than a handful of good films. Take a look at her filmography and the filmography of the actresses she’s been compared to over the years. The last decade has been ducking dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2019 12:53 AM

HBO's Mildred Pierce is the best thing I've seen her in.

by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2019 12:57 AM

R6, but most actors are not in that many great films over the course of their careers. We’ve discussed this about Meryl Streep often. M has appeared in, at most, three great films in the past 45 years. Kate is doing well.

by Anonymousreply 8October 26, 2019 12:57 AM

She will be remembered for Titantic of course, Spotless Mind has a huge fan base, and Sense and Sensibility if we're stretching it. That's pretty much it.

No one remembers the The Reader or Revoultionary Road. Gimmicky awards bait shit.

by Anonymousreply 9October 26, 2019 1:05 AM

The thing is, once she finally muscled her way to the Best Actress Award, she simply gave up the mere pretense of aspiring to do great work.

by Anonymousreply 10October 26, 2019 1:06 AM

R9 will be remembered for her spelling.

by Anonymousreply 11October 26, 2019 1:07 AM

She doesn't do much for me either.

by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2019 1:09 AM

I can't even remember what film she won Best Actress for.

by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2019 1:11 AM

I agree @R12 Mildred pierce was great. Guy Pearce had a lot to do with how great is

by Anonymousreply 14October 26, 2019 1:12 AM

R13, The Reader.

by Anonymousreply 15October 26, 2019 1:12 AM

How about A Little Chaos and Quills?

The decline in American dramatic films at the box office is going to keep hurting her and anyone else not associated with horror and comic book movies.

She's also got Emily Blunt as a her own remix/competitor...

by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2019 1:13 AM

Are you high OP? She was perfectly pleasant looking and an average actress at best, so either lucky or fucking someone in the know, or both. Much like the rest of them.

by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2019 1:15 AM

r17 She had six Oscar nominations by the time she was 30. She was definitely hyped as being the best of the best for age group, only behind Cate Blanchett.

by Anonymousreply 18October 26, 2019 1:18 AM

r2 She’s going to be the Avatar sequel after claiming she’d never with James Cameron again.

by Anonymousreply 19October 26, 2019 1:40 AM

Did she hate Cameron?

by Anonymousreply 20October 26, 2019 1:43 AM

I'd be very happy to never see or hear about her ever again

She's insufferable

by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2019 1:45 AM

r20 I think there was something about her believing the work conditions were too harsh while filming Titanic. She got ill from spending so much time in cold water. In his defense, she refused to wear a wetsuit under her clothes unlike everyone else. She was the only one to get sick. She also had some bruising from doing a few of the stunts.

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2019 1:47 AM

It's like she was fixated on getting an Oscar and once she finally won, she stopped caring and stopped picking good projects.

by Anonymousreply 23October 26, 2019 1:57 AM

I've never thought Kate Winslet was all that special.

by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2019 2:08 AM

She went from being slightly underrated to highly overpraised in a very short time. Two Golden Globe wins in one night for unimpressive performances in ‘The Reader,’ and ‘Revolutionary Road,’ a Best Actress Oscar win for the former, followed by a sweep of the major television awards for a merely adequate interpretation of Mildred Pierce. In 2016 she won another Golden Globe and BAFTA for Steve Jobs; had Alicia Vikander not been in her category at the Oscars, she would have a second Academy Award for mediocre work.

The last performance of hers I really loved was ‘Eternal Sunshine.’ As a personality, she comes across as a little too needy for recognition of her work, like a less extreme version of AnnE Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2019 2:12 AM

Cameron commented nastily about how fat Winslet was in [italic]Titanic[/italic].

I thought she looked appropriate to the time period, as opposed to Keira Knightly in [italic]the Duchess[/italic]. No duke in the 18th century needing an heir would have married such a scrawny girl.

by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2019 2:16 AM

Heavenly Creatures. Titanic. Sense and Sensibility. Little Children. Revolutionary Road. Eternal Sunshine. The Dressmaker. Wonder Wheel. She was fantastic in these. She was ok in the Divergent series. I hated her character enough, as you are supposed to. Haven’t seen The Reader.

by Anonymousreply 27October 26, 2019 2:23 AM

Melissa Leo was better than her in "Mildred Pierce"

by Anonymousreply 28October 26, 2019 2:30 AM

She was excellent in The Dressmaker a few years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 26, 2019 2:45 AM

She really did seem to give up after all her Oscar begging finally paid off. But I don't think she was *that* talented in the first place.

The Dressmaker was the closest thing in recent years she's made to the great, dark, quirky films she did when she was younger (Heavenly Creatures, Jude, Hideous Kinky, Holy Smoke). She and Judy Davis were terrific together. The latter should have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 30October 26, 2019 5:30 AM

R29 'The Dressmaker' was pure camp. Pure, failed camp.

The heifer Winslet was overshadowed by a collection of freaks including a transvestite policeman, and hag Judy Davis doing a bad impression of hag Bette Davis.

The real tragedy was that it was written by the man who did the wonderful 'Muriel's Wedding 2 decades previously.

by Anonymousreply 31October 26, 2019 5:37 AM

The comparison with Blanchett is particularly odious since Blanchett also has a whacking great theatre repertoire behind her: better than her films.

(Winslet's Australian accent is a stunner, though. Best ever.)

by Anonymousreply 32October 26, 2019 6:09 AM

R23 Have you seen much of Blanchett's theatre repertoire?

I remember one (though there may've been another negligible one).

by Anonymousreply 33October 26, 2019 6:19 AM

The best thing she ever did was that episode of Episodes.

by Anonymousreply 34October 26, 2019 6:38 AM

She seems hard and caustic. She'd be a nightmare to live with.

I'm not a big fan, because her early public persona about loving her fat was incredibly tiresome, and because she has a tendency towards ham. Recently I liked her in The Dressmaker and Wonder Wheel, but she seems to struggle for good projects. The proof is that she has returned to James Cameron for multiple films in his Avatar series.

She's very funny, though. She should do more comedies.

by Anonymousreply 35October 26, 2019 7:56 AM

A Little Chaos is a wonderful little film and well worth your time. The scene with Jennifer Ehle’s character was especially touching.

by Anonymousreply 36October 26, 2019 3:24 PM

R31, you're cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 37October 26, 2019 4:09 PM

I finally watched MILDRED PIERCE and wasn't impressed with it, though the main fault is with the original novel (which isn't good, actually) and Todd Haynes' weakness as a storyteller - he's more of a stylist. Loved Guy Pearce, Melissa Leo, Biran F. O'Byrne, and Mare Winningham. Winslet does what she can, but the role is not well written. Mildred is, in the end, a masochist regarding her daughter and she comes off as rather stupid, so it's impossible to care about her at all.

Plus the series starts out slowly and then packs in a lot of plot in the last two episodes which makes the whole narrative lopsided. The actress playing the young Vida was quite good - she reminded me of Bonita Granville in THESE THREE. But Evan Rachel Wood carries on like a poor man's Joan Collins. She does have one good moment when she slithers across the room naked after Mildred discovers her and Monty in his bedroom.

The film version departs from the novel and, frankly, works much better.

As for Winslet, I generally like her, though I confess that I prefer her contemporary Rachel Weisz (and yes, I realize they're quite different). I thought Winslet was a highlight of STEVE JOBS, and loved her and Judy Davis in THE DRESSMAKER, even though the film's tone is all over the place. Didn't much care for A LITTLE CHAOS - any film where Matthias Schoenaerts comes off as rather dull has a major problem.

by Anonymousreply 38October 26, 2019 5:06 PM

If you mean me, R33, yes, I've seen most of the plays Blanchett has been in, right back as far as Kafka Dances. It's a solid portfolio: Miranda, Ophelia, Nina, Yelena, Hedda, Blanche, plus a number of modern classics and premiering Australian plays.

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2019 1:54 PM

I am impressed, R39.

I remember Blanchett in a one note performance as Lady Anne in an annoying production of 'Richard III' opposite a Richard, Duke of Gloucester played by a grumpy woman.

by Anonymousreply 40October 27, 2019 7:54 PM

Let’s turn the conversation back to naked twink David Kross. I read that they waited until his 18th birthday to film his nude scenes.

by Anonymousreply 41October 27, 2019 8:00 PM

[quote]Little Children

Patrick Wilson’s ass....

by Anonymousreply 42October 28, 2019 1:03 AM

Blanchett's Nina made me convinced she has no idea what The Seagull was about. Her Hedda was obnoxious as well.

by Anonymousreply 43October 28, 2019 10:38 AM

I thought her Nina was lovely. She was playing opposite a most unfortunate piece of casting in Kostya, but her scenes with Richard Roxburgh as Trigorin were gorgeous. The Hedda was an ill-conceived production top to bottom, but it wasn't a bad performance. If anything, it was quite brave. Hedda is an obnoxious character, and Blanchett didn't try to underplay that in order to be more loved on her return to the Australian stage. Many another actress would have. It's only when she does comedy I have to draw the line.

by Anonymousreply 44October 28, 2019 12:39 PM

I liked Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine.

by Anonymousreply 45October 28, 2019 12:47 PM

I liked Blanchett a LOT in 'Gross und Klein' (an awesome performance) and she really carried a lot of 'The Maids' (understandable with Huppert's English). But she's hammy as hell in most of her other theatre performances i've seen. Like, *really* bad at times, very 'drama school'ish. In most of the roles they should have replaced her with Winslet's onscreen mother Judy Davis, lol.

Speaking of, I wonder if Winslet will ever do stage work. She really BEGGED for that Oscar but seems to have less fire in her belly to go for the EGOT.

by Anonymousreply 46October 28, 2019 1:20 PM

[quote] Hedda is an obnoxious character

No she’s not

by Anonymousreply 47October 28, 2019 4:05 PM

R44 I hope you've seen the ancient TV version of 'Hedda'.

Ingrid Bergman is bewitching as she charms and eventually shows her fangs.

She makes up a wonderful quartet of thoroughly accomplished, self-assured actors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 28, 2019 11:17 PM

The Juliet Stevenson audio production gets her just right.

by Anonymousreply 49October 29, 2019 12:23 PM

I was amused by this reference to Winslet at 1.30 in this Bubbles Devere clip—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2019 10:18 AM

Guess that would make her the female Russell Crowe. What a waste!

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2019 10:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!