Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who watched tonight’s megan and harry abc special?

Thoughts? I can’t decide whether I like Megan, but I also can’t imagine the pressure she must feel. Although if she’s a narcissist like people imply then she’s actually thriving and doesn’t feel the negativity as much.

by Anonymousreply 234October 29, 2019 12:36 PM

Ugh. She’s insanely controlling and domineering. No wonder they all hate her.

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2019 3:10 AM

Oh my gosh I watched the whole thing and felt so sorry for how cruelly they've been mistreated by the British Press. Why do they hate her so much?

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2019 3:17 AM

Wasn't this a replay of the documentary of their recent trip to Africa, that played in the UK last week? what does that have to do with them and the british media?

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2019 3:20 AM

I don't know them

by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2019 3:25 AM

Does anyone have a link to the special? I searched and couldn't find it.

by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2019 3:30 AM

She’s so well rehearsed! At one point when she’s kissing her baby she looks peripherally to see if the camera is on her. She’s always on. I can’t figure out if she’s genuine.

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2019 3:40 AM

She's an actor, playing the part of a Royal. Anyone in public life is an actor to a certain extent.

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2019 3:49 AM

Yes, she's an actor, but a mediocre one who always looks at the camera, unlike me who is the greatest actor of all time.

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2019 3:56 AM

Who is Megan?

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2019 3:56 AM

She’s so distressed and emotionally fragile that she might commit “suicide” before long, I worry

by Anonymousreply 10October 24, 2019 3:57 AM

So is Harry like fifth in line now? Can't they just move to Los Angeles and relax a little?

by Anonymousreply 11October 24, 2019 4:00 AM

Her hand movements and over dramatic facial movements annoy me. Gwyneth Paltrow does the same thing. They’re always like these “faux earnestness, woe is me, I’m so sweet and naive” trying-to-be-subtle expressions.

by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2019 4:03 AM

Shes insufferable. There is nothing worse than an attention whore crying about getting attention. Wendy Williams is right...shes a phony.

by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2019 4:04 AM

It would be a fun role, royal. I don't know why she and Harry can't just get into the spirit of the thing, and be the fun slightly crazy aunt and uncle. have fun with this, people!

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2019 4:05 AM

There’s something odd in complaining about your situation when the backdrop is something worse than a third world country.

Get over yourself!

by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2019 4:07 AM

Who the fuck cares, OP? How many threads do these boring people need?

by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2019 4:22 AM

[quote] So is Harry like fifth in line now?

Sixth!

1) Charles

2) William

3) George

4) Charlotte

5) Louis

6) Harry

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2019 4:28 AM

see? Even more reason to go to LA, or maybe New York and have a little fun. Harry definitely knows how to have fun. Do it.

by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2019 4:34 AM

[quote] Harry definitely knows how to have fun. Do it.

I've got my Nazi uniform pressed and ready to go!

by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2019 4:53 AM

Harry's Nazi uniform days are behind him. Getting naked in hotel rooms with cameras around, well, that's negotiable I hope.

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2019 4:55 AM

I didn't watch, not sure why it needed to air in the US. That said, I think she is a complete and utter phony. I don't believe a word she says.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2019 5:13 AM

Just out of curiosity, r21, what do you think the Royal Family is all about? What do you think is going on there?

by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2019 5:15 AM

I don't see why they don't just retreat from the spotlight for a year or two, raise their kids...just check out, no media... period.

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2019 5:16 AM

And their separation will be announced in 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . .

by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2019 5:19 AM

Megan is my BFF!

by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2019 5:19 AM

Is the royal family wealthy or are they essentially a family living off of welfare. Can someone explain?

by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2019 5:35 AM

They're Jackie on Assistance Rose at r26

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2019 5:36 AM

William and Kate are being overshadowed by Harry and Meghan. William and Kate have become the new Charles and Diana, both looking as though they're completely bored with each other, and would prefer to be anywhere else.

Harry and Megs look like your average happy married couple, and love being parents. They're out there among the people, so much more involved with the world around them, and eager to bring about change for the better.

Kate's more concerned about the state of her wardrobe, and William is, well ...... Just boring old William.

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2019 5:47 AM

Hi Megs! (aka r28 !)

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2019 5:51 AM

And Kate needs to eat. Homegirl has an eating disorder for days. Feel sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2019 5:51 AM

R28 You are delusional

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2019 5:53 AM

wow, this is so weird. Why is this a show even?

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2019 5:55 AM

they are definitely more interesting than Will and Kate. Even the DL haters know that.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2019 5:55 AM

[quote]they are definitely more annoying and childish than Will and Kate.

Reality.

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2019 5:56 AM

R33 R34 Because DL does love a good car crash and people destroying themselves, indeed

by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2019 5:58 AM

R35 Even a slow train wreck becomes tedious and boring, the longer it takes for the crash.

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2019 6:00 AM

But Meghan knows how to grab that spotlight. She does know that. She might outshine them all, uh oh.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2019 6:02 AM

She’s a pretty girl and I love that he married her. Get it, Harry!

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2019 6:07 AM

Outshine? Uh, no R37. Vex and annoy, like any bratty 5 year old.

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2019 6:07 AM

She's got instincts r39. Kate doesn't, but Meghan does. She's gonna have her fun.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2019 6:11 AM

[quote]I don't see why they don't just retreat from the spotlight for a year or two, raise their kids...just check out, no media... period.

Because then they won't have a life of luxury paid entirely for by the taxpayers and would have to "shock - horror" use their own money to buy stuff.

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2019 6:16 AM

but they would r41. See this right here is why I think Meghan gets this game so much more than all her critics get it.

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2019 6:17 AM

Where can I watch this? I’m very curious.

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2019 6:28 AM

R40 Instincts? She's a pathological narcissist. "Fun" I guess for those who enjoy users/abusers.

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2019 6:33 AM

Meghan has the "it factor" and Kate doesn't. Meghan is like the high school prom queen who all the boys wanted and once she gets married finds the glory days are gone and becomes bored and unsatisfied. That's why Kate makes a better Royal.

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2019 7:02 AM

R2 is spoon fed

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2019 7:03 AM

R38 is a black woman living vicariously through megan.

by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2019 7:05 AM

Black people need to be validated by White people.

For all their "SLAY QUEEN!!!!!" they're deeply insecure, that's why Meghan + Harry is a fucking Fairytale for them.

They're projecting so much on them they can't see Meghan for what she is. And the more they attack William and Kate, the more insecure they prove to be. If Meghan was such a superstar, they would not need to attack her bland mayo sil.

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2019 7:47 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2019 8:10 AM

R49 Meghan is often caught speaking to people who keep ignoring her.

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2019 8:15 AM

There they go, the generation that is always waving their hands about in the air.

by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2019 9:12 AM

Meghan is doing her job, breathing a little life into the old Firm.

by Anonymousreply 52October 24, 2019 1:21 PM

R52 - more like she sucks the life out of everyone in the room.

by Anonymousreply 53October 24, 2019 1:22 PM

If by breathing a little life you mean Tabloids scandals, you're right.

by Anonymousreply 54October 24, 2019 1:23 PM

I just blocked one deathfat megbot and half of the thread disappeared!

by Anonymousreply 55October 24, 2019 1:29 PM

R55-you're right.

by Anonymousreply 56October 24, 2019 1:46 PM

She's pretty and charismatic and her woe is me act is fun. But dim Harry will finally get it and tire of her. She'll be kicked to the curb and her best dearest friends like Serena and Oprah will kick her to the curb as well. She'll make a career of talking abut the royals, how cold they are and how she was mistreated by the press and disliked by the british people being an American biracial divorcee.

She'll never have to worry about paying any kind of bills or mortgage payments or school tuitions so no matter what happens she's won the lottery but she won't be happy being a super narcissist not being universally loved by total strangers.

She'll make nice with Piers again, they'll become best friends and he'll devote hours to how she's been mistreated and misunderstood.

by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2019 2:06 PM

R57 No way Harry will get tired of her. He still looks like a lovesick puppy.

by Anonymousreply 58October 24, 2019 2:12 PM

This show should have been ALL about their African journey (the countries, the people, the charities etc...). If they wanted to moan and groan about their lives, they should have chosen a separate interview format.

An hour of self-pity wasn't the best viewing.

by Anonymousreply 59October 24, 2019 2:52 PM

R47 Nice try, but no. 44 year old white woman here.

by Anonymousreply 60October 24, 2019 3:33 PM

R60 It's worse, at least Black women have excuses.

by Anonymousreply 61October 24, 2019 3:39 PM

Boy, once again datalounge proves how hateful their followers are. I loved this show and felt really bad for both of them

by Anonymousreply 62October 24, 2019 3:45 PM

I thought it was going to educate viewers about Africa with a a few tidbits about the royal couple added in. Instead, it was all about the royal couple with a few tidbits about Africa added in.

As if they're so important to warrant a documentary. How fucking arrogant. Packed with the words that she overuses in their social media posts: "important", "special", "impactful". And the calculated, cutesy way she raised her hand to her mouth after she revealed that she calls him "H". What? Didn't she already make a big deal last year about the fact that she called him Haz?

by Anonymousreply 63October 24, 2019 3:45 PM

[quote]So is Harry like fifth in line now? Can't they just move to Los Angeles and relax a little?

Charles

William

the gay little boy

Charlotte

the one that was just born who's name I can't remember

the one Kate is trying to conceive to be equal with Liz's four children

Harry

by Anonymousreply 64October 24, 2019 3:50 PM

Meghan's nasty instincts have no place in the royal family. If she wants to be a competitive mean girl, they should move to Los Angeles. That's the kind of dog-eat-dog world she understands and comes from.

by Anonymousreply 65October 24, 2019 4:09 PM

[quote] Can't they just move to Los Angeles and relax a little?

"A little", R11? Lol, Henry is always on vacation. He was on vacation in Spain (Ibiza) and Italy (Sicily) a few months ago. He just came back from basically an extended vacay in South Africa. It's not like he had to "work" there: he was just driven around and visited some places, nodding and smiling and having a quick chat. When a reporter asked him a question about his mission, he retorted "Ask THEM", gesturing at some school-kids and drove away. And now he's declared he needs yet ANOTHER (multi-week) 'proper' R&R vacation.

by Anonymousreply 66October 24, 2019 4:13 PM

R62, save your pity for those who don't publicly LIE that they "fly commercial 99% of the time".

by Anonymousreply 67October 24, 2019 4:19 PM

Harry and Meghan are as lazy as Kate.

For all their talk they don't do much, at least Kate has the excuse of 3 kids. Harry and Meghan work few days and go on well-deserved holidays.

by Anonymousreply 68October 24, 2019 4:20 PM

Harry also looked hungover during one of his daytime appearances in Africa. He wobbled and Markle had to help him up a few easy stair steps.

He probably over-indulged in SA wine.

by Anonymousreply 69October 24, 2019 4:27 PM

I honestly don't understand what I am supposed to feel sorry for them for. Because they are criticized? BIG DEAL. They make stupid choices, so yes they will be criticized. Just don't read the papers or news sites about celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 70October 24, 2019 4:27 PM

I just started watching my DVR of the special. So far, it’s a sentimental narrative and Meghan is completely in charge.

by Anonymousreply 71October 24, 2019 4:40 PM

You know, it really was a plus her being a WOC, for the symbolic value. It’s just a shame she and Harry are squandering the impact of all that with diva behavior.

by Anonymousreply 72October 24, 2019 4:46 PM

At first I thought he was feeling unwell or in back-pain (@ 1:37 in video below). But given that Markle was laughing at him - he must have been nursing a hangover. He's 35 but still such a wimpish kidult - made a post-pregnancy Markle help him up some easy steps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 24, 2019 4:48 PM

Bottom line about this special is, it’s all about emotion, emotion, emotion. And we live in the Age of Emotion. People just love it, love feeling things and wallowing in it. So these two are on trend in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 74October 24, 2019 5:03 PM

Feelings are the best to deflect criticism today.

I imagine Meghan and Harry start crying or start a tantrum each time someone in the family try to speak with them about their behavior.

by Anonymousreply 75October 24, 2019 5:07 PM

Did Bradby get his Martin Bashir moment in the USA that he was aiming for? ( Bashir went from barely known in the UK to getting the Michael Jackson shitfest). Or do you think he will be ignored? It was clearly once again a transactional arrangement for the Sux, they got to say what they wanted while he pretended to be asking shock questions.

by Anonymousreply 76October 24, 2019 5:07 PM

[quote]I imagine Meghan and Harry start crying or start a tantrum each time someone in the family try to speak with them about their behavior.

Whatever happened to the British stiff upper lip and don't show emotions?

by Anonymousreply 77October 24, 2019 5:10 PM

r73, I just watched the first 2 minutes of that video. Those machines must have really hurt his head if he was hungover, maybe he was desperate to upchuck. What a dick.

by Anonymousreply 78October 24, 2019 5:12 PM

R77 Meghan doesn't believe in stiff upper lip, she has always been all about feelings and emotions, Harry always had tantrums.

by Anonymousreply 79October 24, 2019 5:15 PM

It’s less than two years since their wedding, the security for which was paid for by the taxpayer to the tune of over 30 million as well as us getting to pay for their bloody refurbishments at Frogmore ‘cottage’ as well.

Now we learn they are burnt out, need a holiday and want to move abroad.

Their recent work consists of a trip to Africa, which is filmed, using the country and the people as a backdrop for them to talk about their feelings and, as R74 points out, these days it’s all about those feelings. Some people celebrate this as truly pulling the Royal family into the present. Pathetically that may be so.

For now. But those that are most sympathetic are the same ones who want to see a return on their investment in the tabloids and on tv. It’ll be hard to justify huge security expenses if they fail to maintain the necessary high and entertaining profile.

by Anonymousreply 80October 24, 2019 5:19 PM

It's crazy how fast it went down the hill with those two.

Last year only, all the articles were about how she was everybody's favorite in the family, today, no one can stand them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 81October 24, 2019 5:24 PM

OK well just finished it. Honestly I went into it with an open mind, thinking maybe it would be more substantive than the clips had promised. It was not.

by Anonymousreply 82October 24, 2019 5:33 PM

The narcissist who married into my family also always did the patronizing back pat like she does to H, ours did it to everyone though.

by Anonymousreply 83October 24, 2019 5:38 PM

The Earl of Dumbarton said he went to Africa originally as a form of [bold]"Escapism" (!)[/bold] [from his first-world problems and multi-million-dollar palatial home]. He's such a tone-deaf dunce, bewailing his OWN rich-boy "semi-orphan" problems while visiting a destitute place like Malawi! But I love how "Hello" tries to dress it up as a "poignant" speech:

[quote] "The Duke of Sussex has spoken poignantly about how Africa became his second home ... as he carried out a working visit to BOTSWANA on Thursday. Prince Harry, 35, has left his wife Meghan, 38, and 4-month-old son Archie in Cape Town as he spends the next few days travelling to Botswana, Angola and Malawi.

[quote] Speaking as he helped local school children plant trees ... Harry said: "Fifteen years I've been coming here, [bold]it's a sense of ESCAPISM[/bold], a real sense of purpose... I have some of my closest friends here over the years. I came here in 1997 or 1998 straight after my mum died, so [bold]it was a nice place to get away from it ALL[/bold]. I feel DEEPLY connected to this place and TO AFRICA."

I love how he thinks he's "deeply" connected to Africa, while driving around in expensive IMPORTED Range Rovers and spending only a few days there per year.

The thing with Harry is he sees everything through the lens of Hollywood film-style "Escapism" - because he was coddled so much that, even now as a 35-y.o. adult, he doesn't have a full grasp on reality or understanding of his surroundings. He compared the Afghanistan war (where he was protected and saved by bodyguards 24/7) to a "fun Playstation game". They gave him a £37 million (!) taxpayer-funded Apache helicopter to play with (usually reserved only for the best of the best, not for dunces like Harry who almost flunked high school and complained that "math was hard"). And now he has a quasi-colonial, British-Imperial-style belief that Africa is a "NICE PLACE TO ESCAPE TO" (from his English countryside mansion with servants & bodyguards). He is SO privileged and SO out-of-touch - he just doesn't get it (and probably never will).

by Anonymousreply 84October 24, 2019 6:05 PM

Also, he just can't fully relate to anything - and even when he tries (somewhat earnestly, but still in the end - superficially) to understand or to relate to other people's problems, he instinctively still goes back to #1: Himself. Because that's how he was raised - with everyone (not specifically Charles, but all his nannies, minders, teachers, bodyguards) helicopter-parenting him, constantly worrying about him (as he was the youngest), rolling out the red carpet in front of him, and a whole PALACE / HOUSEHOLD with servants rushing around to give him whatever he needs. His teachers in high school even helping him cheat to pass, etc. So when he talks to regular people, he often goes too far and starts telling AFRICAN school-kids (!) about his OWN problems. Because he's used to everyone caring mostly only about him, so he erroneously thinks people are still interested in hearing him whine about his own life as a 35-y.o. kidult.

The other extreme that he often falls into is getting over-emotional. Because his coddled, multi-millionaire existence contrasts starkly with the lives of the people he's commissioned by the British state to help. But such acitivities emotionally overpower him (because he's not used to dealing with other people's life problems). So he now feels so “sad” by it that he finds it hard to "get out of bed in the mornings”, he admits. "The problems of the world" that he sees are too much for him emotionally - because, as a rich aristocrat's son (used to luxury, an easy existence and yes-men) - he was brought up in a bubble and has rather fragile “sensibilities”, as a result. And it seems he's finding it hard to cope when things don't go EXACTLY his way.

by Anonymousreply 85October 24, 2019 6:16 PM

I'm watching on abc.com, he does not come off as warm at all, just robotic. She is the epitome of domineering and rehearsed.

by Anonymousreply 86October 24, 2019 6:17 PM

R73, dear me, she’s got his hand and won’t let go. Who walks up stairs holding hands? For fucks sake.

Also, that little moment shows what a pot belly he’s gotten in the past year. I guess he got fat along with his wife.

by Anonymousreply 87October 24, 2019 6:40 PM

It’s on my DVR but haven’t watched. I suspect it’s like a bad movie, where all the best parts are in the trailer. But I’ll keep an open mind.

Harry is pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 88October 24, 2019 6:43 PM

I was watching the World Series. I wonder if ABC will re-air the show?

by Anonymousreply 89October 24, 2019 7:13 PM

r89

It's on abc.com

by Anonymousreply 90October 24, 2019 9:55 PM

I want hin to wap up in Libya with his African shit

by Anonymousreply 91October 25, 2019 12:24 AM

Ken Burns needs to do a series on Megs and Harry and their intolerable unfair life.

by Anonymousreply 92October 25, 2019 1:30 AM

[quote]Meghan's nasty instincts have no place in the royal family.

But it's not about racism!

This is really too much, acting like the royal family is above "nasty instincts." Perhaps you should glance at a newspaper sometime.

by Anonymousreply 93October 25, 2019 2:51 AM

The BBC comments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 25, 2019 3:36 AM

Royal Reporter Richard Palmer called this commentator " Here’s a former newspaper editor who has previously been supportive of them."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 25, 2019 3:41 AM

What the heck, Meg?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 25, 2019 4:51 AM

^^ Neither Harry nor Meghan are particularly smart but you'd think they would realise how stupid it is to piss off Charles like that, given he holds the purse strings.

by Anonymousreply 97October 25, 2019 5:00 AM

Unless, r97, they don't care who holds the purse strings because their Foundation is taking off and they intend for that Foundation to keep them in the style to which they've become accustomed...

by Anonymousreply 98October 25, 2019 5:13 AM

How do I watch this show? I missed it.

by Anonymousreply 99October 25, 2019 5:19 AM

Maybe this is all a run up for leaving Britain. They will say the pressure and scrutiny became unbearable and then it'll be bye, bye England, hello America. I think that's what she really wants.

by Anonymousreply 100October 25, 2019 7:04 AM

Here it is for anyone who missed it.

It's genuinely fucking shocking that they had so much as one word to say about themselves given the terror and violence detailed in so many other scenes in the documentary. It makes them look so fake. A serious own goal for them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 25, 2019 9:08 AM

Ginger would have to be a royal *ahem* village idiot to believe that her future in any way includes him. She's done with him. Now it's only a matter of finding her next mark, and then he's history.

by Anonymousreply 102October 25, 2019 9:14 AM

It's also really weird how Harry did half the tour on his own. She was definitely up for a photo op with Desmond Tutu and for introducing Archie to the world via that photo op, but stayed back from Botswana (which is very safe) for a rest after only 3 days of touring in S.A.. She's clearly just not *that* interested. Whole doc has a weird, 'off' vibe.

by Anonymousreply 103October 25, 2019 9:24 AM

I’m surprised one of the American TV networks bothered with this in primetime.

by Anonymousreply 104October 25, 2019 9:51 AM

R101 I’m sorry, that image just looks so dorky, the two of them like some, I dunno, vaudeville act or sitcom duo with the little crown logo and everything.

by Anonymousreply 105October 25, 2019 9:55 AM

I was just thinking they’re the best looking royal couple i’ve ever seen, r105!

by Anonymousreply 106October 25, 2019 10:15 AM

This review rightly points out that the finale featuring Meghan choking back the tears over how hard life is indistinguishable from a mockumentary. Go back a look at at it with that in mind - it's hilariously true. The idea that at the end of her tour of one of the most violent, desperately impoverished continents on earth, she is so deeply serious and deeply upset (but putting such a gloriously brave face) by how hard and how unfair life is - for HER - actually becomes amazingly funny. Go back and watch that bit as mockumentary. I dare you not to burst out laughing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 25, 2019 10:19 AM

R106 Bitch, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108October 25, 2019 10:24 AM

Everyone in this thread is either completely ignorant of royal history or just using this is an excuse to let their racist flag fly. This tearing down of relatives outside of the direct line of succession is standard operating procedure for the men in gray as Diana called them. It's the tallest poppy syndrome.

Did you forget that until Meghan arrived, William was the palaces biggest target? Every year without fail we were treated to a comparison of his and Kayes work schedules against the others. The message was clear. William should not leapfrog his dad to King (as some wanted) because he is lazy.

Did you also forget that William very deliberately would skip family gatherings at Balmoral and ensure he is photographed holidaying with the Middletons?

One year he even issued a statement that he wants his kids to be around "normal" for the holidays which heavily implied that the Firm isn't normal.

Then there was the media battle about Charles not being allowed around his grandkids. His staff leaking shit to paint him as the put upon granddaddy who's been shut out by his greedy son who is too happy to take from the Duchy purse. Remember there was even crap about Charlie being insulted that he's always the last grandparent to meet the newborns. Then Williams loyalists pointing out that Charles has always tried to benefit off his sons good press and thats the only reason he's mad that Carole Middleton gets a hospital photo op and he doesn't.

You simply can't have the future Kings younger brother being perceived as the one with both his mothers heart and modernising streak. And you can't have his more colourful wife (both literally and figuratively) over shadowing the cardboard cutout thats the future queen.

by Anonymousreply 109October 25, 2019 10:37 AM

Oh and I just remembered the drama about Will moving to live in wherever to avoid palace intrigue. The conceit was that he was moving so he could hold down a job as a helicopter pilot and then someone in the tabloids got a hold of his work schedule and it turned out he was only on duty once a week. So to quell the fall out they put together an interview piece with him in his flying uniform. But then staffers probably sent by Charles the next day were all over the news saying that William and Kate were actually costing the public more in security by choosing to live there. And that they weren't even living on Williams salary, in fact the Duchy of Cornwall had had to increase their allowance.

The point is this family is evil. They all know that Harry is the latest target but are so glad the spotlight is on someone else they forget that Harrys situation is very different.

by Anonymousreply 110October 25, 2019 10:49 AM

She’s a stereotypical Leo woman.

by Anonymousreply 111October 25, 2019 10:53 AM

R109 Spare us the conspiracy theory.

The reality is that William works much more than Harry. Richard Palmer and Russel Meyer said in their podcast that Harry was protected by the press during the army years even when he didn't go to work, certainly because everybody knew he was "fragile".

Will and Kate were the easy target during years because they were living far from the Palace and were not doing Royal work.

Today, things have change, Woke Meghan is the easiest target and Harry has become an asshole, but it's not evil work, just press economy.

by Anonymousreply 112October 25, 2019 10:54 AM

R111 Shares a birthday with Obama, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 113October 25, 2019 10:58 AM

Harrys situation is different for three reasons.

1) There's no hope for the distant future. He'll never be king and will therefore always be the easy target to build William up.

2) Unlike Anne or Edward, he cannot vanish and spend his days opening community halls. Diana only had two sons. His situation is more like Margarets. There will always be insane media interest in his life.

3) He has married a wife who annoys everyone vested in old notions of Empire. An American actress with a black mother and trailer trash dad and is openly liberal. She's a sitting duck.

Anyway, I think Harry and Meg should cancel their newspaper deliveries and focus on the demographics they kill at. Urban charities, Veteran work, Youth and mental health stuff obviously and Common Wealth causes

by Anonymousreply 114October 25, 2019 11:04 AM

[quote]He has married a wife who annoys everyone vested in old notions of Empire. An American actress with a black mother and trailer trash dad and is openly liberal. She's a sitting duck

And she went out of her way to make herself one. After all, it's all about HER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 25, 2019 11:12 AM

1. Can you stop with Harry is a target? If anything, the BRF has protected Harry.

2. He can vanish if he wants to, there's no paps pictures of those two in UK.

3. Meghan annoys everyone because her ego is not in check.

Harry and Meghan should shut up and start doing real Royal work and not cookbook, Instagram messages with typos and Maya Angelou plagiarism.

by Anonymousreply 116October 25, 2019 11:13 AM

R112 is evidently illiterate and also suffering from amnesia. I pointed out that one of the many strategies that was deployed to bring William down and raise Charles up was to dub him as lacking in duty. Dont know where you were in the years between 2012 and 2018 but go google "William workshy". It was a huge story that run for years every time the work stats were released. These were the years that Harry was starting and running the Invictus games which aren't counted as a royal engagement. THATS why Harry was insulated.

It got so bad about two years ago that William had to release an official statement reiterating his commitment to "duty". Go Google that too and refuting that he's work shy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 25, 2019 11:19 AM

R112 is evidently illiterate and also suffering from amnesia. I pointed out that one of the many strategies that was deployed to bring William down and raise Charles up was to dub him as lacking in duty. Dont know where you were in the years between 2012 and 2018 but go google "William workshy". It was a huge story that run for years every time the work stats were released. These were the years that Harry was starting and running the Invictus games which aren't counted as a royal engagement. THATS why Harry was insulated.

It got so bad about two years ago that William had to release an official statement reiterating his commitment to "duty". Go Google that too and refuting that he's work shy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 25, 2019 11:19 AM

When does Megs find a handsome horse riding instructor and start taking lessons?

by Anonymousreply 119October 25, 2019 11:31 AM

R116 You sad sad curmudgeon. Welcome into the 21st century where cutting ribbons at community centers is simply not good enough. I expect all these royals on my teat to start being more innovative. That cookbook is fantastic example of causes they should embrace. It didnt just raise money for their charity, it left them with a sense of accomplishment and a sold out book is something for the younger girls to put on their CVs. Plus it's a self sustaining fund raiser which is the dream for those of us in non profits. How hateful do you have to be to shit on something like that.

by Anonymousreply 120October 25, 2019 11:31 AM

Who actually wrote that cookbook? Megs hasn't cooked a meal in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 121October 25, 2019 11:38 AM

R121 Not true - before the engagement, Meghan was all about the home-cooked meals. Now they have a private chef.

by Anonymousreply 122October 25, 2019 11:42 AM

Great posts, r109, r110 and r114. And I write this as an observer who changes reactions to the Sussexes almost on a weekly basis.

And the analogy between the Duke of Sussex and Princess Margaret is so astute, I'm surprised I didn't think of it.

Your posts are what interesting, juicy, good gossip is- behavior and events that are real actual happenings and then your own snarky take on it. The stupid, tiring "Meghan was spotted on the grassy knoll" variety of nonsense that is just pulled outta the buttholes of her haters is a waste of cyber atoms.

I'm still of the mind that the Sussex marriage will not last. I'm convinced that William, Duke of Cambridge, with some legitimate reason, finds the Sussexes annoying, especially Markle and with his own position and family to mind, he's sick of them.

The fate of the now Duchess of Sussex keeps me in suspense. I know the transition to member of the BRF would be difficult for even a European aristocrat, but still, The DoS has made some mind-boggling mistakes that indicate she misjudged and overestimated her ability to become a member on her terms, not theirs.

by Anonymousreply 123October 25, 2019 11:46 AM

Forgot to add at r123- While it's possible, post-Harry, the current DoS could snag another millionaire ( not billionaire, there is only one Lauren Sanchez, and Markle doesn't have game at anything close to her level), still, her position now, as the wife of the Duke of Sussex is her peak.

by Anonymousreply 124October 25, 2019 11:52 AM

They're royals. They're paid to "work" which for them, essentially, is showing up, smiling, and making small talk.

The "documentary" was a joke. They're supposed to get publicity for what they do on behalf of the UK. They spent their time whinging about how they're being horribly mistreated, in part by their own family. What they don't understand or seem to care about is that they've brought the criticism on themselves with their entitlement and hypocrisy.

Their solution: six weeks off, after six months off, from "work."

Nice work if you can get it and they're managing to fuck it up.

by Anonymousreply 125October 25, 2019 12:14 PM

They are deliberately creating a brand in opposition to the BRF, it has been carefully planned and plotted. It is no mistake, R125.

by Anonymousreply 126October 25, 2019 12:35 PM

[quote] 2) Unlike Anne or Edward, he cannot vanish and spend his days opening community halls. Diana only had two sons. His situation is more like Margarets. There will always be insane media interest in his life.

Utter TOSH. As Wiliam and Kate move closer to the throne and their children grow into spoiled teens (very soon), interest in the Harkles will plummet like a stone. They are at their peak of interest right about now I'd say.

Who here remembers any "insane" media coverage of Margaret as an old woman, holed up in KP the last two decades of her life? oh that's right. And the only reason she got any tabloid-like attention in the 1970s - post-marital split - was due to her never-ending louche parade of younger flamboyant bfs and party time on Mustique. She was an open embarrassment to the BRF for a while there, and not for the first time (Townshend affair, etc)...not the kind of thing H&M want to see themselves up to, being so woke and all.

by Anonymousreply 127October 25, 2019 3:38 PM

[quote]Welcome into the 21st century where cutting ribbons at community centers is simply not good enough. I expect all these royals on my teat to start being more innovative.

Well fie on you. Sorry we don't cut muster for you anymore, we'll see ourselves out!

by Anonymousreply 128October 25, 2019 3:40 PM

Meghan wanted to do a cookbook since Chrissy Teigen and Gwyneth Paltrow had theirs.

She wanted her fashion "collection" since forever, same for her Vogue Special.

She USES the BRF for her pet projects, she's not serving the Queen or UK. She's self-serving.

And Willam still work MUCH MORE than Harry.

by Anonymousreply 129October 25, 2019 3:42 PM

R121 Meghan does cook as years of her blog prove but once again nobody claimed Meghan wrote it. Even Meghan was clear that these were recipes from the women in that diverse community. It's their names on the by-line. Meghans role was to give the book prominence by lending her celebrity to it. The book has sold out multiple print runs which means that community will never have to have its hand out waiting for help again. Which mind you wouldn't have happened without the free publicity she brought.

THESE are the kinds of self sustaining community empowering projects we need from the Royals. Not the pretend work of opening shopping centers.

by Anonymousreply 130October 25, 2019 4:17 PM

R125 Their Africa trip was extremely successful so I don't know what you mean. They are extremely popular there, something even their worst critics accept. The only people put out by their speaking honestly are the people who already hate them. Hardly a great loss.

by Anonymousreply 131October 25, 2019 4:23 PM

[quote]Even Meghan was clear that these were recipes from the women in that diverse community.

Except for the recipes which start, "Open a tin of Camp's Baked Beans."

by Anonymousreply 132October 25, 2019 4:27 PM

R131 Extremely successful, lol sure.

You mean the Tour they ruined themselves when they decided SA was the best place to declare war on the press.

That's the SussexSquad talking point :how they're so successful abroad, problem is there's no real tool to gauge it so they can claim people all over the world just LOVE them it's the racist British people who have a problem with her.

by Anonymousreply 133October 25, 2019 4:30 PM

The things I remember about the Africa tour are: Meghan dancing with some black people. Archie and Bishop Tutu. The announcement of their lawsuit.

It was very successful for the Sussexes. As for the people of Africa, who gives a shit?

by Anonymousreply 134October 25, 2019 4:52 PM

R134 That's the huge difference with the Cambridge Tour. Pakistani people in Pakistan and UK were delighted by the Tour calling Kate their Pakistani Princess on twitter.

African people just had a reminder how much their countries suck by two white and off-white saviors.

by Anonymousreply 135October 25, 2019 5:05 PM

The savior thing was a little off-putting to me, but I guess the people of Africa don’t see it that way.

by Anonymousreply 136October 25, 2019 5:09 PM

Would it have killed you to have at at least posted a picture or link OP? I mean would that have been so hard? Why don’t you try to think more of others next time before you post?

by Anonymousreply 137October 25, 2019 5:11 PM

I thought Meghan was a bit over the top when she said, "If you're ever in England, stop by Frogmore and see us!"

by Anonymousreply 138October 25, 2019 5:12 PM

R136 There's at leat one article by African man asking the Sussex to stay at home.

by Anonymousreply 139October 25, 2019 5:12 PM

[quote] THESE are the kinds of self sustaining community empowering projects we need from the Royals. Not the pretend work of opening shopping centers.

Who the fuck is “we”? It’s not remotely your business what the RF do.

Opening shopping centRes is rare, you clueless prat. They invariably highlight community projects & things like hospitals.

In any event, keep your nose out of what OUR royal family do on OUR behalf, you arrogant yank.

by Anonymousreply 140October 25, 2019 5:47 PM

Meghan is OURS you Brit twit. You can take the social climbing trash out of the US but it will always be good old American social climbing trash.

by Anonymousreply 141October 25, 2019 6:23 PM

The Queen took her on a day of work to show her the ropes, includiing opening the new bridge across the Mersey, which is hugely important to the local economy. Showing up for dedications like this is a large part of the royal job and it is never a flipping supermarket.

I was a tiny kid with my paper flag when the Queen came to open the old bridge and it does stick in your memory decades later.

by Anonymousreply 142October 25, 2019 9:12 PM

Watching it now. I’m trying to remain open-minded but keep rolling my eyes. The agenda of this thing seems extremely obvious.

I did notice that she made sure to include men and boys when talking about empowering women and girls. That seems to be one of her talking points.

And I couldn’t help but be touched by the girls who look up to her as the First Royal Woman of Color. Poor misguided kids.

by Anonymousreply 143October 25, 2019 10:14 PM

I'm rich and a princess bitches and you better feel sorry for me, said in Africa. It was weird.

by Anonymousreply 144October 25, 2019 11:42 PM

Come back, Stiff Upper Lip, all is forgiven!

by Anonymousreply 145October 25, 2019 11:46 PM

[QUOTE] And Willam still work MUCH MORE than Harry

oh hi Boris!

by Anonymousreply 146October 25, 2019 11:52 PM

Meghan has modernized the monarchy and dragged it kicking and screaming into the new century, and we can only pray this work continues once she and Harry ascend the throne.

People who are still putting their money on William and his spawn taking over need to wake up. Not gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 147October 26, 2019 12:03 AM

For REAL, r145

by Anonymousreply 148October 26, 2019 12:12 AM

I can’t figure out if R147 is meant to be parody. Anyhow, scanning the top-rated comments about the tv show, Brits hate Megantoinette more than ever. Harry is seen as ‘poor fragile Harry’ or ‘henpecked Harry’. All that shit from Harry about conspiracy theories eg “if you knew what I know” and “it sounds like paranoia but it’s not” makes him sound brainwashed and delusional, not to mention the obsession with ‘muh dead Mummy!’ I hope the six week break is about Harry getting some professional help.

by Anonymousreply 149October 26, 2019 12:23 AM

Nah, R149, it is about hanging and working with Oprah in CA.

by Anonymousreply 150October 26, 2019 12:36 AM

r130, the Mosque that Meghan personally chose to do the cookbook with turned out to be a Terror Mosque. Linked to no less than 19 terror suspects, including 'Jihadi John' of multiple beheading video fame.

by Anonymousreply 151October 26, 2019 12:53 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152October 26, 2019 12:54 AM

r152, She could have become involved with help for ALL the victims. For some reason she chose the muslim community and nobody else. I never understood that as there were people from many backgrounds that sadly lost their lives.

by Anonymousreply 153October 26, 2019 1:15 AM

Exactly, r153. And you just know she singled out that particular community for help, even though many others were also affected by the fire, merely in order to gain all those extra (fake) virtue points. Transparent.

by Anonymousreply 154October 26, 2019 1:23 AM

[quote]And you just know she singled out that particular community for help, even though many others were also affected by the fire, merely in order to gain all those extra (fake) virtue points.

Plus she knew it would piss of Liz.

by Anonymousreply 155October 26, 2019 1:28 AM

Lots of SJW types adore Muslims, even ultra (third wave) feminist ones make excuses for Islam. It’s a no-brainer that Megs would be attracted to their causes. Megs probably doesn’t even eat swine meat, “no pork on my fork!”

by Anonymousreply 156October 26, 2019 1:43 AM

[quote]R155 Plus she knew it would piss of Liz.

That’s BIG Liz, in these parts.

by Anonymousreply 157October 26, 2019 1:45 AM

This ridiculous woman lives in her own reality where she believes she's god's gift to the BRF and the UK. She seemed positively orgasmic when she wore that purple frock and took a painfully slow walk to the stage with a giant spotlight on herself. She made sure all eyes were on her during her grand entrance. She could have easily taken a quieter route but heaven forbid she isn't the center of attention. Real subtle. This z-list actress is fucking pissed that she isn't adored and fawned over wherever she goes. She's like a fucking cartoon character with her level of thirst. That makes it a bit hard to feel sorry for her.

There is no "break" for this pair. She would fucking die if she couldn't find a camera. Poor H, tee hee, that's what she calls him, those clicks she loves must drive him insane.

by Anonymousreply 158October 26, 2019 1:51 AM

He obviously loves her to bits. The public does, too.

by Anonymousreply 159October 26, 2019 2:44 AM

lol r159.

by Anonymousreply 160October 26, 2019 3:55 AM

So when will they start referring to Harry as the pussy whipped prince.

by Anonymousreply 161October 26, 2019 4:36 AM

It's gone past "pussy whipped" territory. He's loving it as much as she is now.

by Anonymousreply 162October 26, 2019 5:47 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 26, 2019 5:48 AM

So 55% of the British family think she's revitalised the mothy cobwebbed Royals? Sit on that elder gays and bitter fraus. Lmao. For comparison, the last Yougov poll put Charlie at 46% popularity and Camilla at 24%. Hahahahaaaahahahahahahahahahaa. Rolling on the fucking floor laughing at you assholes.

by Anonymousreply 164October 26, 2019 6:26 AM

Sparkle ignored advice she received from Michelle Obama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 26, 2019 6:36 AM

MM snubbed Prince Charles' invitation to his exhibition opening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 26, 2019 6:39 AM

With Big Liz in her pocket, she doesn’t need Chuck, or his flabby approval.

by Anonymousreply 167October 26, 2019 6:51 AM

R164 Needs to learn how to read a poll.

by Anonymousreply 168October 26, 2019 6:57 AM

To be clear, to the question: "Is Meghan good for the BRF?", only 50% of the people had an opinion and 55% of those answering the question said yes.

So, at the end 30% of British people think she's good for the BRF, about as much think she's not and half of the population don't give a shit.

It seems quite realistic to me.

by Anonymousreply 169October 26, 2019 7:10 AM

[quote] Meghan has MODERNIZED the monarchy and dragged it kicking and screaming into the new century, and we can only pray this work continues once she and Harry ASCEND THE THRONE.

R147 = classic example of Cognitive Dissonance.

You can’t “modernize” (moderniSE) a symbolic monarchy, you sycophantic ‘Murican. A monarchy is by definition anti-progressive - ONE FAMILY ONLY holding symbolic HEREDITARY high status in perpetuity, just by virtue of having magic “blue blood” and being the Head of the CHURCH of England.

Guess what - if William & all his offspring perish and Henry “ascends the throne” after Charles - then Henry will become the HEAD of the Anglican CHURCH. Both he and Markle will then praise the Bible and the Church, as they’ll basically be the Church leaders. How is that ‘progressive’?

“Modernising” a hereditary monarchy is like “modernising” the Mormon system - it’s cognitive dissonance because the foundation of these systems is AT ITS CORE anti-meritocratic, elitist, exclusionary and CONSERVATIVE.

If you start “modernising” the monarchy - then the whole house of cards will fall down. Because people will wake up to the fact that whole system doesn’t make sense.

The real person who tried to modernise the monarchy was, ironically, William. He is a person of magic “blue blood” and the MAIN heir - and he married & chose as the future ‘Queen of England’ someone who is not of aristo “blue blood” and from a different social class. People expected him to marry an aristo, like his mom, Diana. But he married an air steward’s daughter (rich but not from the nobility).

Now this was hailed as ‘progressive’ at first (breaking the class system to an extent). But the long-term problem is this breaks the “illusion” of “blue-blood royalty” - and without this illusion, this ‘fairytale wool over the eyes’, people will start gradually waking up to the RIDICULOUSNESS of the whole system.

Because if all the main heirs start marrying DOWN, with each generation more & more (getting hitched to insurance-salespeople, bankers, TV actors, secretaries and other non-aristocratic working-class people), i.e. diluting their “fairytale” blue blood - then the “Royals” will gradually become so-called ‘COMMON’, like everyone else. So then WHY should other ‘commoners’ worship, celebrate, curtsy to & tax-fund these FELLOW COMMONERS?

Since there’s no merit to qualify this dopey family & their trophy-wives/husbands as “Ambassadors of Britain”, then without the enigma of “blue blood” - any difference between the “Royals” and the “Commoners” becomes ERASED. Which makes Monarchy as an institution - meaningless. That will be the eventual result of ‘modernising’ an institution that is elitist by definition.

by Anonymousreply 170October 26, 2019 7:20 AM

The only way to keep a Monarchy is to keep it low-key. The less drama, the less people talk, the better.

That's why the Harkles and Andrew are such a problem for the Family. If people really start to ask why they're still here it's over.

by Anonymousreply 171October 26, 2019 7:27 AM

why is this family still consider royal? How stupid is this? BTW, there is a royal pedophile.

by Anonymousreply 172October 26, 2019 8:52 AM

R172 Because they ARE Royal.

They don't need to be "considered" royal, you stupid fuck. It's a fact, not a question of opinion.

by Anonymousreply 173October 26, 2019 8:59 AM

Because some people are basic sheep, R172. They need a ‘magic, superior’ GOD to worship & bow down to in Church (“our Lord and Saviour!”) and a ‘magic, superior, blue-blood’ Family to worship & bow down to as well (“Your Highness!”).

Some people feel the pathological need to have someone ‘Lording’ and ‘Mastering’ over them, like a submissive in a bondage S&M roleplay.

Then again, it’s not completely the people’s fault. It’s been drilled into everyone from nursery age (“GOD save the QUEEN”). As a child, you don’t want to anger “GOD”, now do you? So the only option is to worship the Queen and her crotchfruit - because that’s what “GOD” wants, apparently.

(The Anglican Church & the Monarchy are inextricably interlinked. They’re Church leaders - that’s why they’re always at Church weddings and Church christenings and Sunday service. The Mountbatten-Windsors the UK version of a Mormon family.)

by Anonymousreply 174October 26, 2019 10:31 AM

r174 has never been to Britain.

by Anonymousreply 175October 26, 2019 10:50 AM

Would the British people be upset if after Queen Elizabeth died the Monarchy was disbanded? Let the remaining members have what they have but give them no more ceremonial power? Strip them of the ridiculous titles that now seem like something out of a Ruritanian comedy of the turn of the 20th century or is this still important to the population? Do they still want queens and kings and prince and princesses or do they find it all ridiculous?

by Anonymousreply 176October 26, 2019 11:04 AM

I think they'll keep the Monarchy. They already have to deal with the Brexit and its consequences, they don't need a constitutional crisis to add to the mess.

by Anonymousreply 177October 26, 2019 11:10 AM

[quote]Would the British people be upset if after Queen Elizabeth died the Monarchy was disbanded?

The monarchy is the biggest tourist attraction the UK has. If American wannabe princesses can't come to England and see Buckingham Palace and sit and drink tea in fine settings, then the UK is done. The UK exports classism. Why do you think Downton Abbey is so popular? American women so desperate to be piss-elegant.

by Anonymousreply 178October 26, 2019 3:02 PM

[quote]r178 The monarchy is the biggest tourist attraction the UK has.

I'm sick of the empty "boost to tourism" twaddle. Like people really sit down and say, "Now, for my next trip, the country ansolutely has to have a royal family... NON-NEGOTIABLE!"

Visitors go see what's in town. If there's palaces, they might see that. Or not. And you don't need an active monarchy around for visitors to visit old castles, view old crown jewels, etc.

You could still have a changing of palace guards without a monarchy, if it came to that. So stop pushing the royals as tourist attractions when it's not like visitors can go meet them every Tuesday between noon and 6:00, or something. They are not on the menu.

by Anonymousreply 179October 26, 2019 3:43 PM

Monarchy is used for soft power/diplomacy, a lot of people know UK because of the Queen or Lady Di.

by Anonymousreply 180October 26, 2019 3:46 PM

[quote]You could still have a changing of palace guards without a monarchy

Did you read that sentence out loud before you typed it? What would be the point of a changing of the palace guards if there's nothing to guard? That's the whole point. They are protecting the monarchy. No monarchy, no palace guards.

by Anonymousreply 181October 26, 2019 3:48 PM

Visitors don't think that literally. They are PALACE guards ... guarding a palace.

By your thinking, when a royal family is away on a trip, the palace guard gets a vacation, too? Because, you know, they're guarding specific people.

by Anonymousreply 182October 26, 2019 3:52 PM

[quote]They are PALACE guards ... guarding a palace.

If that were true, then all palaces would have them. It's not like "The Ceremony of the Keys" where the idea is to lock up the Tower of London. The ceremony is specifically based around the monarchy, whether they are actually there or not. If there were no monarchy, Buckingham Palace would have to be opened as a museum and what would be the point of having a ceremony to mark changing guards for a museum?

by Anonymousreply 183October 26, 2019 3:56 PM

The point would be that [italic]they[/italic] are the tourist attraction. The public doesn't care what their actual function might be.

Dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 184October 26, 2019 3:59 PM

[quote]Everyone in this thread is either completely ignorant of royal history or just using this is an excuse to let their racist flag fly. This tearing down of relatives outside of the direct line of succession is standard operating procedure for the men in gray as Diana called them.

While you’re calling everyone else “ignorant of royal history,” take a minute to remember that it was Fergie who referred to the “grey men of the palace,” not Diana.

by Anonymousreply 185October 26, 2019 4:07 PM

Insulting people with whom you don't agree is immature and common.

by Anonymousreply 186October 26, 2019 4:40 PM

[quote]the analogy between the Duke of Sussex and Princess Margaret is so astute, I'm surprised I didn't think of it.

Why Della, how very modest of you!

by Anonymousreply 187October 26, 2019 6:12 PM

Is she still eligible for citizenship? I’m wondering how that’s going. Is Archie an anchor baby? Would they dare deny her citizenship?

by Anonymousreply 188October 26, 2019 8:23 PM

How on earth did they give that five-month-old baby enough vaccinations to travel to Africa? Jesus Christ, so thirsty she couldn’t even stay home for a week to avoid exposing her infant to god knows what.

by Anonymousreply 189October 26, 2019 8:24 PM

[quote] a lot of people know UK because of the Queen or Lady Di.

No. A lot of people know Britain because of its [italic]incredibly[/italic] popular music, which is played on the radio non-stop, on all inhabited continents, [italic]in almost every big city of the world[/italic]. The old guard (the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Elton John, George Michael, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Morrissey & The Smiths, the Spice Girls, the Backstreet Boys, Oasis, Take That, etc) and the newer stars (Adele, Ed Sheeran, Calvin Harris, Amy Winehouse (rip), One Direction, Elie Goulding, George Ezra, Sam Smith, Rag'n'Bone Man, etc).

And because of the incredibly famous silver-screen actors, comedians & directors - again, shown on TV & cinema screens every week in virtually every city of the world: the older ones (Hugh Grant, Jude Law, Colin Firth, Judi Dench, Idris Elba, Gerard Butler, Orlando Bloom, Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Kate Winslet, Tom Hardy, Danny Boyle, Guy Ritchie, etc) and the newer stars (Tom Holland, Tom Hiddleston, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, Henry Cavill, Robert Pattinson, James McAvoy, Christopher Nolan, etc).

I've seen people come to Britain JUST for a chance to see Cumberbatch or Hiddleston on stage, and get an autograph at the stage door.

People also know Britain because of the Swinging Sixties' fashion and the current crop of fashion moguls and fashion stars: Kate Moss, Cara Delevingne, Jourdan Dunn, Victoria Beckham (and internationally known sport-star hubby, David). People from all over the world come to London for Fashion Week.

The dopey Windsor-Mountbattens are just a banal, outdated, scandal-prone side-attraction, next to countless other (even more entertaining) attractions and famous faces in Britain - theatre, fashion, international sport (football / rugby / tennis), nature hiking (the Peak District, the Cotswolds, the White Cliffs near Dover & Eastbourne).

Ever since Agatha Christie and Mary Poppins and Harry Potter - everyone's favourite childhood books (published world-wide) which described Britain or were inspired by British life) - people have been fascinated by the British isles and wanted to visit. So, no, the Windsor-Mountbattens are (by far) not the main reason people "know the UK".

by Anonymousreply 190October 26, 2019 8:48 PM

R175 lives in a bubble in East Croydon.

by Anonymousreply 191October 26, 2019 9:04 PM

[quote]a lot of people know UK because of the Queen or Lady Di.

Perhaps the most retarded thing I've ever read.

The UK isn't some tiny, nowhere place people never heard of, like Monaco.

by Anonymousreply 192October 26, 2019 9:07 PM

[quote] If there were no monarchy, Buckingham Palace would have to be opened as a museum and what would be the point of having a ceremony to mark changing guards for a museum?

R183, BP is [italic]already[/italic] operating as a MUSEUM in the summer period (when the Queen is away on her summer break). And guess what - they still have a changing of the guards when BP operates as just a summer museum, even when the whole Mountbatten clan pissed off to Balmoral, 500 miles away.

I jog past that area (Green Park) every weekend - the tourists don't give one heck that the Mountbattens are not even in London, not even in England - but holed up far, far away in some remote, rural countryside. All that the tourists want are some selfies with BP's pretty architecture in the background, and some selfies with the 'furry-hat' handsome military guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193October 26, 2019 9:37 PM

Btw, someone needs to change that uniform asap. It's too furry for the summer. The guards keep fainting from heat stroke like 19th c corseted damsels every year now, especially during Trooping the Colour. It's getting embarrassing - onlookers are watching British guards literally face-plant into the sand. If this ceremony is supposed to show the guards' might - it's counter-productive and only bewilders tourists or makes them laugh out of place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194October 26, 2019 9:57 PM

[quote]the older ones (Hugh Grant, Jude Law, Colin Firth, Judi Dench, Idris Elba, Gerard Butler, Orlando Bloom, Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Kate Winslet, Tom Hardy, Danny Boyle, Guy Ritchie, etc)

You forgot Dame Maggie Smith you fat whore.

by Anonymousreply 195October 26, 2019 11:02 PM

You're under "et cetera" and "miscellaneous", Dame Smith. Apologies.

Wait, hold on... who are you calling "fat"!

by Anonymousreply 196October 26, 2019 11:39 PM

R126: "They are deliberately creating a brand in opposition to the BRF, it has been carefully planned and plotted. It is no mistake"

It has been planned and plotted. Sarah Lathem admitted as much the other day. But it's a terrible mistake made by two gaffe-prone fools. It's like telling your boss she's running her (what, almost 1000 year-old?) business all wrong, despite it having endured for almost 1000 years.

It will end in tears in LA with the Brits (and his family) unwilling to continue underwriting their shenanigans while they're off the reservation both geographically and attitudinaly, and the Americans will get sick of them quickly as we always do.

by Anonymousreply 197October 26, 2019 11:50 PM

[quote]r194 it's getting embarrassing - onlookers are watching British guards literally face-plant into the sand.

Maybe the fainting ones are on self imposed starvation diets, to always be ready for their closeups with the tourists?

It's almost like ANTM! Where's Tyrant when you need her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198October 27, 2019 12:01 AM

I forgot what history site I read this on, but in Victorian and Edwardian times, it was well known to gays that members of the horse guard were often available for quiet "assignations"...for a fee.

They weren't very well paid, and these exchanges augmented the strapping young men's income. I think one picked them up in certain pubs close to the palace, or wherever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199October 27, 2019 12:33 AM

[quote]...the Backstreet Boys,

whaaaat? r190?

by Anonymousreply 200October 27, 2019 1:44 AM

It's probably not quantifiable, but the monarchy most certainly contributes to tourism. It's not that people go there directly because of the royals, it's that the pageantry-heavy, world-famous monarchy contributes to the ovrerall aura, helping to put London at or near the top of the list of the most popular tourist cities in the world.

by Anonymousreply 201October 27, 2019 6:10 AM

London has plenty to draw on for tourism above and beyond any royals in residence. As noted, tourists don’t even SEE them.

If the monarchy were abolished, we’re supposed to believe tourism would DROP?? Please.

by Anonymousreply 202October 27, 2019 6:52 AM

R201, NYC is doing just fine, without some Kardashian-style family.

Are you saying London has less to offer than Manhattan? Both are TOP destinations for a very simple reason - they're two of THE most beautiful + 'happening' cities on the planet.

Parties, street festivals, West End shows (British version of Broadway), galleries, gorgeous parks, luxury shopping & dining, world-class sports.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203October 27, 2019 9:37 AM

The truth is it’s not Britain that desperately needs a Vanderbilt-type family. It’s the Mountbattens (British Rockefellers) who need Britain. Because without their ‘special’ limelight, tax-supported status - they’ll be just another boring, rich family living in the countryside, like the Spencers.

by Anonymousreply 204October 27, 2019 10:08 AM

The Palace of Versailles is one of the most visited historical sites in the world & the French disposed of their royal family centuries ago.

The “tourism” excuse simply doesn’t wash. The UK is filled to bursting with interesting places of interest and none of that goes away if the monarchy is abolished.

by Anonymousreply 205October 27, 2019 10:53 AM

[quote]R205 The Palace of Versailles is one of the most visited historical sites in the world & the French disposed of their royal family centuries ago.

Hear, hear!

If some tourists (or residents) still need the Royals around, you could have lookalikes.... like those on Hollywood Blvd. Multiple ones, all over. Tourists could take selfies with them, etc.

And paying those wandering lookalikes’ salaries would be cheaper than continuing to spoon feed Big Liz and her unending brood of leeches.

by Anonymousreply 206October 27, 2019 12:32 PM

Everyone loves history.

by Anonymousreply 207October 27, 2019 12:46 PM

A gentle reminder: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Spain and Luxembourg still have their Royal Families. In other words, some of the most progressive countries on Earth. Japan just seated its new Emperor, and all the other royal families sent representatives.

by Anonymousreply 208October 27, 2019 1:09 PM

R208 So?

by Anonymousreply 209October 27, 2019 1:35 PM

[quote]R208 Japan just seated its new Emperor, and all the other royal families sent representatives.

So they could exchange insider tips on how to keep bilking the public?

by Anonymousreply 210October 27, 2019 1:57 PM

The point is that some of the most progressive countries have chosen a Constitutional Monarchy form of government, not just the United Kingdom, and it seems to work out okay for them. The last time England was a republic, it was under Cromwell, and that didn't seem to work all that well. Considering the grifting dirtbag we currently have as our head of state, I'd be willing to make the switch. We're already being robbed blind by a piece of garbage who seems to face no restrictions.

by Anonymousreply 211October 27, 2019 7:02 PM

Japan a progressive country? One of the most despicable when it comes to animal rights. The entire continent of Asia needs a lobotomy.

by Anonymousreply 212October 27, 2019 7:05 PM

R211 The UK has moved on a bit in the last 250 years. Cromwell? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 213October 27, 2019 7:38 PM

Ah yes, R213, but has it moved on since 1908?

by Anonymousreply 214October 27, 2019 10:31 PM

I wasn't expecting to have a political discussion (which I avoid) in a Harry and Meghan thread. I'm not British. If you are, and you despise your monarchy, vote them out! I'm simply trying to respect the self-determination made by other civilized countries.

by Anonymousreply 215October 27, 2019 10:43 PM

r211 You are misunderstanding the motivation of the anti-British Monarchy sentiments on here. They don't care if Progressivism is not impeded by the Royal Families in multiple EU countries (your point is a good one, by the way).

These people know nothing about Britain or about Britain's RF and don't care. They've decided that the BRF must die because they assume that Meghan's problems are all caused by the BRF (who've actually been very supportive and welcoming to her).

To them, if the BRF do not treat Meghan as if she were HMQE herself, the entire thousand year old institution must be destroyed, and that's that.

by Anonymousreply 216October 27, 2019 10:58 PM

R216, Actually, I'm not immune to that. I really, really hate the racial stuff that gets dredged up in these discussions when Meghan is part of the discussion. I actually get it better than many people. I know that she seems to be considered a "ground-breaker" to many people. I just don't think she is. Woman angle themselves to marry wealthy, famous men all the time, and its not considered ground-breaking. I'm an American who politely respects another country's Head of State. It's not for me to tell another country how they should conduct themselves. I'd happily bow to the Queen, in true respect, before I'd ever accept a handshake from our current dictator.

by Anonymousreply 217October 27, 2019 11:09 PM

r217 That's a rational attitude. These people are now campaigning for the end of the Monarchy in Britain because Meghan's daily disasters Must Not Be Blamed on Meghan. Instead, it's all a result of the BRF standing in Meghan's way=The BRF must die? That's deranged thinking. Yet here it is, on display. It's scary the way these people think.

Oh and the same group just got another BRF thread shut down. After all, don't say worshipful things about Meghan? No thread for you!

by Anonymousreply 218October 27, 2019 11:16 PM

MM may be the first prominent biracial person married into the senior BRF in modern times (one of the Gloucester girls was married to a Maori for many years, and George III's Charlotte was rumored to be biracial), but she won't be the last. I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of the Cambridge kids or one of Anne's grandkids married someone of a different race, and it works out fine.

It was bound to happen as times progressed; the issue is with MM's suitability for royal life and duties, not her racial makeup. She's so far shown a shocking lack of regard for the role that's paying her way.

r218 I think that thread got shut because Part I still had posts left, even though it had gone subscriber. We're still here on this one and the couple of other related threads are still up.

by Anonymousreply 219October 27, 2019 11:18 PM

[quote]r216 they assume that Meghan's problems are all caused by the BRF (who've actually been very supportive and welcoming to her).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220October 27, 2019 11:19 PM

She’s as British royalty as MM,, r220.

by Anonymousreply 221October 27, 2019 11:43 PM

r219, The previous thread had 11 spaces left. That is a perfectly appropriate time to post the successor thread. If you look through the numbered BRF threads the new one was always posted sometime at or after the thread hits 570, sometimes earlier. It's done to make sure the thread doesn't hit 600 before the successor link can be posted.

by Anonymousreply 222October 28, 2019 12:11 AM

[quote] ...but has it moved on since 1908?

What are you on about?

Someone is suggesting that we should beware of removing the monarchy because it didn’t go so well under Cromwell. Which is a bit daft & irrelevant.

What’s 1908 got to do with that.

I would not vote to get rid of them. It works, and that’s handy.

by Anonymousreply 223October 28, 2019 12:12 AM

R220 I am no fan at all of Princess Pushy, but that brooch was of St. Balthazar,....the wise man who brought myrrh who happened to be black.

Any depiction of a black person is now “racist”? Fucking ridiculous,

by Anonymousreply 224October 28, 2019 12:16 AM

Which thread got closed? I may have missed it and would like to read it.

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 225October 28, 2019 12:19 AM

R225-It's alas gone.

by Anonymousreply 226October 28, 2019 12:56 AM

people visit the Royal Palace of France too, Versailles, and we all know what happened there.

by Anonymousreply 227October 28, 2019 1:11 AM

They should tear down Buckingham Palace and build another one of those god awful pickle skyscrapers the British love so much.

by Anonymousreply 228October 28, 2019 1:22 AM

Same here, r217. My sentiments exactly.

by Anonymousreply 229October 28, 2019 2:18 AM

[quote]R228 They should tear down Buckingham Palace and build another one of those god awful pickle skyscrapers the British love so much.

The People will get to this is due time. Don't worry.

(I hope that g-damn den of leeches has saferooms set up.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230October 28, 2019 3:01 AM

So if you hate the BRF for being leeches off public funds, you really, really, really must hate Meghan and Harry, who spent more tax money on clothing. housing and travel this year than any of the others, right?

Right?

(Or are you only anti-BRF because you think they are to blame for all Meghan's missteps...)

by Anonymousreply 231October 28, 2019 3:29 AM

They'll all be fine once deposed and stripped of their titles. They have plenty of money salted away.

Meghan and Harry would undoubtedly do the best if they had to start over from scratch, tho.

by Anonymousreply 232October 28, 2019 4:31 AM

[quote] Meghan and Harry would undoubtedly do the best if they had to start over from scratch, tho.

No, they wouldn’t. An entitled brat who can’t even be trusted to pick a sensible wife and an “actress” who can’t act & speaks in meaningless soundbites but expects adulation anyway - hardly a great team.

They’ll have novelty value for a few years and that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 233October 28, 2019 9:23 AM

He is anti-BRF b/c he is a Sunshine Sachs troll in all likelihood. Are you unfamiliar with the Harry Styles/spaz/Markle troll, R231. Muriel suggests blocking trolls. If no one engages with him at all, makes his work shaping threads a bit harder, no? Why dance to his tune?

by Anonymousreply 234October 29, 2019 12:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!