Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Philip Seymour Hoffman: Weird and Weirdly Forgotten

An actor's actor, much esteemed by his peers, often the best part of the surprisingly large number of movies he made. Largely forgotten by the public just 5 years after his untimely death at 46.

A weird guy: private, reclusive, troubled personal history, periodic substance abuse resulting in the end of his life.

Gay? Bisexual? Murdered? (Some suggest he was targeted by the COS after "The Master." Or by former drug dealers.)

For me, it's the memory of him stealing scenes in "Boogie Nights," "The Talented Mr. Ripley," and of course, starring in "Capote."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158February 18, 2020 1:34 PM

Forgotten according to a single writer? Please.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2019 5:13 PM

He always had that beached-whale body, but I think he actually improved with age. He might have been passably attractive in middle age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2019 5:22 PM

Great actor.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2019 5:30 PM

I remember when I opened the Times and saw his obituary. A true Goddammit moment.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2019 5:30 PM

When he died everybody at my job was saying what a great actor he was and I had to keep my mouth shut because I thought he was hugely overrated and I basically could never stand him. Oops.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2019 5:33 PM

Great actor but not forgotten at all.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2019 5:35 PM

Ditto, r5.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2019 5:37 PM

Why do today's writers need to create preposterous setups to their articles. Hoffman isn't forgotten. What a fucking hack "writer". The web sites that publish these pieces don't pay, and the writers get worse and worse.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2019 5:37 PM

I hated him as Capote. But I did love him in everything else.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2019 5:41 PM

Toby Jones was the superior Capote.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2019 5:42 PM

But Toby Jones’ movie was ten times worse. It was a stinker.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2019 5:47 PM

Glad the writer seemed to enjoy Next Stop Wonderland. I love that little film.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2019 5:48 PM

He's been replaced by Jesse Plemons.

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2019 5:49 PM

R8, I agree that he's not forgotten, and the article is certainly sensational. He has dozens of films out there with, arguably, good performances, to remind people of him. However, it is interesting how there are dead actors and celebrities who come up in the media consistently, long after they've died. I still see a healthy number of articles regarding Robin Williams, Britney Murphy, Liz Taylor. But someone like Hoffman (and many others of course) aren't usually mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2019 6:03 PM

He looked like he never brushed his teeth.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2019 6:13 PM

PSH never sought to be a beloved celebrity like Williams and he wasn't a tragic train wreck in a public way like Murphy.

He was an excellent actor much of the time but I sometimes felt he was overrated, particularly early in his career when he did too many masochistic characters and overplayed his hand acting those roles. The first time I liked him was in RIPLEY.

I also recall that when he won the SAG for CAPOTE, his complimenting the other nominees became obsequious. And I muttered "gag me" to myself.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2019 6:24 PM

PSH was the best part of "Moneyball". He acted seething like nobody else's business.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2019 6:24 PM

A brilliant actor, but a stupid human. Died of a senseless OD.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2019 6:52 PM

I haven't forgotten him. Never will. Some unforgettable roles.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2019 7:00 PM

The first time I really noticed him was in Boogie Nights and loved him in all PTA films after that, particularly his small role in Punch Drunk Love. I thought he was fantastic in Ripley, too. I'll never forget his line delivery of "how's the peeping, Tommy?". But those saying he was overrated and tended to oversell some of his roles, I think he truly got better as he aged. His closing moment of The Master, singing Slow Boat To China to Joaquin Phoenix, moved me to tears in the cinema and I still can't watch it without choking up. Just a beautiful movie moment made all the more profound because of the loss of such a wonderful actor.

I agree this article is stupid. Yeah, to most of the public he was never a household name so they aren't likely to remember him. But to those who appreciate film and like a story beyond superheroes, of course he will be remembered.

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2019 7:12 PM

who?

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2019 7:46 PM

Friends and I were just talking about him on Thursday night. So there. Not forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2019 8:33 PM

Agree about him in THE MASTER - I really hated that film, primarily for Joachim Phoenix's grotesque performance. But Hoffman was the one saving grace. Amy Adams wasn't bad but she didn't have a great role.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2019 8:38 PM

Oh, for crap's sake, he's NOT forgotten. He left behind a great body of work, many unforgettable performances. It was such a loss when he died. He would have gone on to give many more wonderful performances. He was a unique, incredibly gifted actor.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2019 8:52 PM

Amy Adams was miscast in The Master. Someone like Laura Dern should have had that role.

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2019 9:17 PM

One of PSH's more obscure movies is Synechdoche, NY.

Roger Ebert named it his favorite film of the decade! I think it's Hoffman's best performance. I strongly urge anyone who hasn't seen it to do so. But the movie is a real mind-fuck so make sure you are alert and prepared, (or maybe incredibly stoned?). I found it somewhat difficult to get thru the first time, but I've seen it numerous times since and now when I watch, it just flies by.

It's truly an amazing film!

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2019 9:39 PM

Murdered?

This dude thinks so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2019 11:27 PM

Murdered?

By Hollywood liberalism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2019 11:28 PM

Forgotten? Rubbish. That is clickbait journalism at its worst.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2019 11:33 PM

He was also awesome in Pirate Radio....

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2019 12:34 AM

Love Liza, what a fucked film, to match him

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2019 12:40 AM

One of my favorite performances is his vocal characterization in "Mary and Max." He was perfect. What a shame that film didn't get released in America. I'd advise anyone to watch it, it's such a great film.

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2019 12:44 AM

He rode a horse with no name into the sunset.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2019 12:50 AM

He was heartbreakingly adorable in Boogie Nights.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2019 12:54 AM

I loved him as a desperate pervert in Happiness.

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2019 12:54 AM

Flawless with DeNiro. Where he plays the drag queen piano teacher. Genius acting and underrated film.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2019 12:59 AM

That article is 4 years old.

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2019 1:12 AM

My mother and I just talked about him yesterday. It came up when we discussed great actors who werent conventionally good looking. Even my 78 year old mother knows who he was.

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2019 1:28 AM

He could make me see a movie because he was aways so interesting to watch.

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2019 1:47 AM

He was a heroin addict on and off, and my belief is that young men, at least,,who are drug addicts, will dabble in the homosex.

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2019 2:15 AM

He's in my Hall of Fame for "Happiness". Camryn Mannheim said he made her performance better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2019 2:19 AM

I forget he's dead. How old are his kids?

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2019 2:21 AM

I still get him confused with Paul Giamati but I’m far from a cinephile.

He was a well respected actor who was in a bunch of movies but he wasn’t a superstar. Are people expecting annual memorial parades? Should we name airports and schools and roads after him?

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2019 2:25 AM

Great actor, greater drug addict.

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2019 2:27 AM

He wasn't gay. Why would people think he was gay? I never got that impression. But after he died the National Enquirer came out an article screaming "PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN'S SECRET GAY LIFE." Pretty sensational, right? But it was all a lie. This is from Business Insider:

n the wake of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman’s death, The National Enquirer published an article that, in retrospect, even it admitted had stretched the truth too far. Actually, the report didn’t so much stretch the truth as it did completely disregard it.

The piece claimed that on the night of his death Philip Seymour Hoffman was freebasing cocaine with playwright David Bar Katz and that the two were also lovers. The report also contained quotes from Katz about how he had seen Hoffman use heroin frequently. All of this was untrue; Katz had not even spoken to the Enquirer.

So Katz sued the paper for libel (he was more frustrated with the comments attributed to him about Hoffman's drug use than the allegations about being gay) and two days later, the article disappeared from their website and was replaced with a retraction and an apology. The Enquirer claims that it was duped by a source claiming to be Katz, as opposed to just having pulled the story out of thin air.

As a mea culpa for this singular instance of untrue reporting that has ruined The National Enquirer’s otherwise sterling reputation, the paper and it publisher will fund an annual $45,000 grant benefitting the newly formed American Playwriting Foundation. The foundation was established by Katz.

The paper has also purchased a full-page ad in The New York Times concerning the incident. Katz told the Times that the settlement is “enough for the foundation to give out these grants for years to come.”

by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2019 3:29 AM

I think this is the first time since after Seymour's death that I have heard someone mentioning his name. Maybe the OP has got a point ... no?

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2019 3:57 AM

If PSH were slimmer and more conventionally attractive, he'd be gay in a DL heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2019 4:01 AM

He's been forgotten by the general public. Look at how much people go on about Paul Walker who was in terrible movies and dating a 16 year old as a grown man.

by Anonymousreply 48October 20, 2019 4:04 AM

A great actor, but didn't deserve the Oscar for Capote. Should have gone to Heath Ledger.

by Anonymousreply 49October 20, 2019 4:10 AM

Synecdoche is my favorite performance of his, oddly enough because his character seemed so close to his real life persona. Ebert was right. One of his best films, and hands down Kaufman’s best work. I still find myself crying at the scene where he’s cleaning Adele’s apartment. PSH was the perfect person to pull off such a depressingly realistic role.

by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2019 4:38 AM

His Capote sucked!!! He never got the voice/speech patterns right.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2019 4:50 AM

Looking up his list of films I'd seen maybe three or four and he made no impression on me in any of them. So yes, pretty much forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2019 4:59 AM

I've written this previously in other threads. I live in residential West Hollywood, just below Sunset. One morning I was walking my dog on what I call the "B Movie Actress" block because I know of three who live on it. I saw PSH getting out of a car, walking across the street to a house lived in by one of these Actresses. He was with an assistant. He looked like he had just walked off Synechdoche, NY, tired, out of breath,and disheveled, like he hadn't slept in a week. I thought, "oh shit!". About 10 days later, I turned on the news, and they were talking about his death. I saw it coming...

by Anonymousreply 53October 20, 2019 5:00 AM

I think one thing that ate at him was his looks. He knew he would never be leading man material, would always be "a character actor." Once in an interview he mentioned that he'd hoped that sometime somebody would refer to him as at least "cute" but it never happened. He evidently had a lot of self loathing, despite his success and great talent. And he tried to blot out his feelings of insecurity by medicating himself with drugs like heroin. Heroin makes you numb, a pleasant numbness. I guess that's what he was trying for when he died.

by Anonymousreply 54October 20, 2019 5:04 AM

R54 I’ve always thought he was attractive. His problem was that he’s too real, both personality and looks wise, to ever be a Hollywood “leading man”. Hollywood doesn’t want real men, they want the Chris Evans/Hemsworth/Pratt type guys. Stupid polite pretty men. PSH was always too smart and genuine to ever be considered a Hollywood leading man. They don’t want actors anymore, they want walking, talking six packs.

by Anonymousreply 55October 20, 2019 5:08 AM

Personally, I find him kind of hot. He gives me sexy english teacher vibes, especially in this picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 20, 2019 5:10 AM

A friend of mine was in an acting class with him more than 20 years ago, a couple years before Magnolia. He said he was very talented, but he knew it and could be quite arrogant. He was also, definitely, NOT GAY! My friend described him as a total pussy hound, trying to sleep with as many women in the class as he could. And my friend is gay, and hot enough, (then), that he would have gotten a gay vibe from PSH if any existed.

by Anonymousreply 57October 20, 2019 5:18 AM

Hoffman was not polite and friendly as far as I could see. Back in 2005-6 I ran into him late one evening at the Toronto Film Festival. He'd just finished doing interviews as part of the media campaign for Capote. A small group of us, maybe 4-5 people were sitting out on the patio of a restaurant that no longer exists across from the festival hotel.We were with some one from the Montreal Film Festival and it was going through a lot of turbulence because they had change directors and there were factions, etc. Anyway he walked across the street to the restaurant, to go in and meet some people for dinner. Head down, unkempt, ugly red plaid flannel shirt and it was warm that night. Unseasonably warm. He looked like shit. He ignored 3 fans who were trying to compliment him after seeing a screening of Capote, and told one woman to "get the fuck away from me." She wasn't bothering him at all.She was just standing there. it taught me an important lesson. If you are a fan of someone, admire them from a far. Don't get too close or it will destroy your opinion of them.

by Anonymousreply 58October 20, 2019 10:39 AM

My impression is that he was quickly forgotten which is strange because he worked so much before his decline which was swift. The reports that he was seen to be unkept or dishevelled always make me laugh because Phil was never a snappy social dresser.

by Anonymousreply 59October 20, 2019 11:10 AM

He was on drugs more than he was off drugs.And he was an alcoholic too.

by Anonymousreply 60October 20, 2019 11:13 AM

He wasn't part of the Hollywood scene. He was NYC thru and thru. He had a small coterie of actors and filmmakers he was close to like Amy Adams, etc. but he was always on the hunt for fellow addicts, actors, musicians, etc. Sadly it was all about drugs. I don't see how he managed to work regularly, or get married and have kids. He was allegedly clean until he fell off the wagon and binged and that's what killed him. Once you get off if you go back it's usually lethal, asit was in Amy Winehouse's case.

by Anonymousreply 61October 20, 2019 11:17 AM

I admired a lot of his work but he was terrible in Capote, swanning about in search of something to do. He was nothing like Capote. Toby Jones was much better in Infamous.

by Anonymousreply 62October 20, 2019 11:26 AM

R61, for the record, Amy Winehouse died of alcohol poisoning. There were no drugs in her system and she had been clean for at least 10 months. Of course, all that drug use weakened her organs. On that night, she fell into drinking like she used to but her body was obviously weakened from abuse and she died. I think that’s what you mean anyway but wanted to clarify.

by Anonymousreply 63October 20, 2019 11:30 AM

Thanks, R63, yes that's what I meant.

by Anonymousreply 64October 20, 2019 11:34 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a PSH film. Where should I start, huns? x

by Anonymousreply 65October 20, 2019 11:48 AM

By forgotten, the writer probably means no longer in the celebrity gossip pages.

by Anonymousreply 66October 20, 2019 1:53 PM

He (along with Edward Norton & Barry Pepper) is wonderful in Spike Lee's The 25th Hour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 20, 2019 2:01 PM

Capote was awful. Truly bad. And he was bad in it. The Master was forgettable. He was quite good in Synechdoche and wonderful in the early PT Anderson films. He later became unfocused and messy in his work and it’s unfortunate that the Academy chose to reward him at his weakest. He died of a Xanax OD btw.

by Anonymousreply 68October 20, 2019 2:37 PM

Wow, R58. Reading your post, I obviously got lucky the day I met him. He had directed a play here in NYC that year Off-Broadway (I think it was "Our Lady of 125th Street," though I could be wrong and don't feel like googling) and I went to see it in previews one Sunday afternoon. Leaving the theater, I noticed this somewhat disheveled-looking guy sitting in the very back row and it was PSH, apparently taking notes on the production. Realizing it was him, I stopped and said hello and told him how much I enjoyed the play (which I had). He smiled and said thank you and I went on my way. In all a 3-second encounter but one I still remember.

by Anonymousreply 69October 20, 2019 3:42 PM

Start with The Talented Mr. Ripley, R65

by Anonymousreply 70October 20, 2019 3:48 PM

He was actually cute in Scent of a Woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 20, 2019 3:51 PM

No one really talks about Hoffman anymore and I don't recall a huge outpouring of grief coming from the industry when he died. He sounded like he was a bully to work with and acted like perfecting a role was on par with curing all diseases and ridding the world of poverty and injustice.

His, "I walk around looking like shit. Aren't I just too 'real' for Hollywood?" got old quick. (Especially since it was clear he enjoyed the acclaim he received.)

I think Phil Hoffman's biggest problem was that he was your basic spoiled little rich kid who could not appreciate all that he had to be grateful for.

All celebrities want to be seen as people who climbed their way to the top against all odds (and that is very rarely true, especially these days) and some after-death show/documentary actually described little big Phil as a "working class actor".

No. Like Tay-Tay Swift, Phil's father was made of money and his family was friends with Olympia Dukakis who had an agent come to see Phil perform in a stage play when he was young.

Someone should have taken all of his money away and had him get a very non-glamorous job that paid him $25,000.00 year, and maybe give him a credit card with a $10,000.00 limit.

Have him live like this for a two-year period and see if maybe Phil would cheer the fuck up and put the smack away once the two years was up and he could have all of his money, properties, all of the actor-to-actor adoration and his place in Hollywood back.

Maybe things were always just a wee bit too easy for the likes of Phil and his ilk.

by Anonymousreply 72October 20, 2019 4:03 PM

R71 he was so my type. I'd have happily grown fat and old with him.

by Anonymousreply 73October 20, 2019 4:11 PM

I thought he was a decent actor but i HATED Synecdoche, New York. I couldn’t stand the endless play-within-a-play-within-a-play drivel and it was so self-indulgent and I’d say even ostentatious. Wasn’t that Charlie Kaufman’s movie? He also did Adaptation, which I hated. I loved Being John Malkovich, though.

Anyone remember one of PSH’s early roles in Twister as “Dusty” the laid back, goofy tornado-chaser? One of my nostalgia favorites and quite a blockbuster at the time, I thought.

by Anonymousreply 74October 20, 2019 4:18 PM

Wow, R72, I could have sworn that I read or saw some interview when Hoffman was alive where it was said he was raised by a “poor single mother”!

I’m wondering if I’m misremembering or if it was purposeful PR bs on his part.

Wasn’t there also a tearful, “Ma, can you believe we actually made it here?!?” speech when he won his Oscar?

I *so* assumed he was from a poor or “working class” background and worked his way up against all odds. I had no idea he came from a connected family with money...

by Anonymousreply 75October 20, 2019 4:21 PM

[quote]I had no idea he came from a connected family with money...

I know. Don't you *hate* those types. Even I, brilliant actress that I am, had to work for six months as a hostess in a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 76October 20, 2019 4:30 PM

How did he get along with our Meryl on the set of "Doubt"?

by Anonymousreply 77October 20, 2019 4:30 PM

I don't recall Meryl rushing to make public statements when he died, so I'm assuming they didn't exactly bond. She's kind of method-y, and they were playing antagonistic characters anyway, but I don't see them as friends. But I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 78October 20, 2019 4:43 PM

R78, also, Meryl tends to bond with the women in her films and despise the men.

by Anonymousreply 79October 20, 2019 4:44 PM

In 2001, Meryl had worked with PSH in the Shakespeare in the Park production of The Seagull. So she must have been able to tolerate him to work with him in Doubt.

by Anonymousreply 80October 20, 2019 4:48 PM

R75 Uuuh, no, don't think so.

His parents were divorced but he was not raised by a poor single mother.

"Film and stage actor and theater director Philip Seymour Hoffman was born in the Rochester, New York, suburb of Fairport on July 23, 1967. He was the son of Marilyn (Loucks), a lawyer and judge, and Gordon Stowell Hoffman, a Xerox employee."

Olympia Dukakis: "Asked about Hoffman’s death, she is silent for a long moment. Great actors, she says then, 'shine a light on our humanity, on some very deep places.' At age 23, she remembers, Hoffman played Edgar in King Lear for their company in Montclair."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 20, 2019 4:48 PM

If he had lived, he would have just become a fat, caftan-wearing slob like Marlon Brando.

by Anonymousreply 82October 20, 2019 4:50 PM

[quote]He smiled and said thank you and I went on my way. In all a 3-second encounter but one I still remember.

You're lucky, usually a 3-second encounter would have gotten you a kick in the shin.

[quote]In 2001, Meryl had worked with PSH in the Shakespeare in the Park production of The Seagull. So she must have been able to tolerate him to work with him in Doubt.

Without a doubt...

by Anonymousreply 83October 20, 2019 5:05 PM

Scientologists killed him.

by Anonymousreply 84October 20, 2019 5:08 PM

He always gave me the creeps, I always thought that his greatest role would be as a child molester

by Anonymousreply 85October 20, 2019 5:14 PM

R85 is a follower of L Ron Hubbard

by Anonymousreply 86October 20, 2019 6:13 PM

I am an atheist female who can admire his acting but really,, he gave me the creeps r86. in fairness, so does Tom Cruise but that is because he's insane and a scientology leader

by Anonymousreply 87October 20, 2019 6:21 PM

The writer is Nathan Rabin r8, and The Dissolve paid their writers.

I'll never understand why people just make shit up all the time. Was that fun for you? Did you feel smart for a second?

by Anonymousreply 88October 20, 2019 6:41 PM

I have not forgotten him.

by Anonymousreply 89October 20, 2019 6:53 PM

I loved him in "A Late Quartet".

by Anonymousreply 90October 20, 2019 6:58 PM

I loved most of his performances but I did not see the Hunger Games.

by Anonymousreply 91October 20, 2019 7:02 PM

Loved him as an actor, but never followed his career or personal life, so I never knew he was an addict, and was surprised by his death. I have not forgotten him.

by Anonymousreply 92October 20, 2019 7:21 PM

To me, the pasty white tubby guy PSH most resembles is Jim Gaffigan.

When I think of PSH the line that comes to mind first is, "How's the peeping, Tommy? How's the peeping?" He was just right in TTMR.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 20, 2019 7:31 PM

"No one really talks about Hoffman anymore and I don't recall a huge outpouring of grief coming from the industry when he died. "

Did you see footage of the actors who came to his funeral? Here's a list: Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Julianne Moore, Amy Adams, Ethan Hawke, Michelle Williams, Joaquin Phoenix, Ellen Burstyn, Spike Lee, John Slattery, Mike Nichols, Diane Sawyer, Chris Rock, Louis C.K., Mary Louise Parker, Jerry Stiller, Marisa Tomei. Quite a lot of people in "the industry" mourned him.

by Anonymousreply 94October 20, 2019 8:26 PM

I always found his role in The Hunger Games weird. Sort of like Julianne Moore’s role in it. I found it weird to see people who looked and acted so normal in such a plasticy movie full of young actors Hollywood was trying to convince us were the new It Boys/Girls. Not to mention how odd it was that someone as normal looking and average as PSH’s character would be acclaimed in The Capitol.

by Anonymousreply 95October 20, 2019 9:01 PM

R68 is full of shit- FYI you cannot die from a Xanax overdose-

by Anonymousreply 96October 20, 2019 9:29 PM

I'm sure he could be unpleasant and rude at times. He was a very troubled, unhappy man. Just goes to show that being rich and famous and admired and lauded for your talent doesn't do much to assuage deep seated feelings of depression and misery.

by Anonymousreply 97October 20, 2019 9:51 PM

[quote] Did you see footage of the actors who came to his funeral?

Give the people what they want, throw in cameras, and they'll turn out.

by Anonymousreply 98October 20, 2019 9:53 PM

I'm not sure people realize that the OP posted his own thoughts and that the article he linked doesn't mention anything about PSH being "weird and forgotten." It's an old Dissolve article from 2016.

by Anonymousreply 99October 20, 2019 10:36 PM

We got high and watched Twister the other week. LOL! Yeah he was in it. I also thought he was memorable in that Paul NEwman movie, with Bruce WIllis, Melanie Griffith, and Jessica Tandy,filmed in upstate NY, Nobody's Fool. PSH plays an asshole cop.Pretty funny. I loved him in Flawless and Boogie Nights. Just didn't like The Master. Thought he was excellent in Doubt, and exceptional in Ripley.

by Anonymousreply 100October 20, 2019 11:27 PM

In the book Furious Hours, Harper Lee said PSH totally nailed Capote. She loved the movie.

I actually thought he was awesome in Mission Impossible III as greasy mega-villain Owen Davian.

Great, great actor. And an even greater mess. But I suppose that’s how it goes much of the time.

by Anonymousreply 101October 20, 2019 11:39 PM

I liked him in "Capote." But I thought Heath Ledger should have won the Oscar that year. My favorite performances by him were in these movies: "Boogie Nights", 'Happiness", "Doubt" and "Mary and Max." There's a scene in "Doubt" where he, the well liked priest, is saying goodbye to people in the church. It's an amazing scene; it could well serve as his own epitaph.

by Anonymousreply 102October 21, 2019 12:19 AM

[quote]Harper Lee said PSH totally nailed Capote.

She was also extremely senile by the time that movie was made.

Team Toby Jones who even got the body language correct.

by Anonymousreply 103October 21, 2019 12:24 AM

Both he and Meryl were completely miscast in Doubt. It's one of the worst stage to screen adaptations I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 104October 21, 2019 12:26 AM

Ridiculous statement.

by Anonymousreply 105October 21, 2019 9:53 AM

I thought Meryl, PSH and Amy Adams were magnificent in Doubt.

by Anonymousreply 106October 21, 2019 12:27 PM

He nailed the Freddie character in Talented Mr. Ripley. He really helped ratchet up the "walls closing in" feeling for Tom Ripley with his performance. Hoffman really did have that ability to make the other actors next to him look better because of his solid acting.

by Anonymousreply 107October 21, 2019 12:57 PM

“She was also extremely senile by the time that movie was made.”

Usually the only vivid memories senile people have are of the places and relationships from deep in the past. So I’ll take her word over yours. Even though I’m sure you were just as close to Capote as she was.

by Anonymousreply 108October 21, 2019 1:14 PM

R96 is a FUCKING MORON.

OF COURSE you can die of a Xanax overdose you stupid fucking twat. It’s an OPIOID which SUPPRESSES RESPIRATION, and mixing it with alcohol and any other opioid class is EXTREMELY FUCKING DANGEROUS and will result in death.

And PSH wasn’t the only celebrity that died of Xanax, there have been multiple celebrity deaths involving Xanax in the past two decades.

But don’t let the facts sway you, you stupid Trumpian FUCK. Go fuck yourself, you retarded asshole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 21, 2019 3:24 PM

[quote]I thought Meryl, PSH and Amy Adams were magnificent in Doubt.

It was so lopsided. Doubt only works when you enter into the story without prejudice towards any character.

PSH looked like a pedophile so you already get the "ick" feeling towards him. One of the first scenes is the priests eating well while Meryl gnaws on fat. So already 10 minutes into the movie you're prejudiced against him.

by Anonymousreply 110October 21, 2019 3:25 PM

He wasn't bad in Capote but Toby Jones was phenomenal in Infamous, just out of this world terrific. He's really good in Berberian Sound Studio too if you want to see more of him.

I think Hoffman will always be remembered as a fine character actor but I thought the same thing about JT Walsh, and he is seriously forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 111October 21, 2019 3:28 PM

Most entertainers are "forgotten" soon after death. Entertainment is a product of its time. When we say we "love" and actor, it doesn't mean we feel deep emotion for him.

by Anonymousreply 112October 21, 2019 3:31 PM

I watched Synechdoche, NY and just did not get it. A very confusing film. A friend gave me a copy and I donated it to the local library.

As far as Doubt goes, after seeing the stage version, I felt the screen adaptation made PSH's character So guilty. His character didn't stand a chance. In the stage version, I felt the priest was innocent and the nun was batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 113October 21, 2019 3:36 PM

[quote] In the stage version, I felt the priest was innocent and the nun was batshit crazy.

On Broadway, they also cast handsome men to play the priest, so you didn't immediately go with the stereotype that clergy are pedophiles.

by Anonymousreply 114October 21, 2019 3:43 PM

^^ Brian O'Byrne was handsome? ^^

by Anonymousreply 115October 21, 2019 7:19 PM

[quote]Brian O'Byrne was handsome?

He wasn't hideous! Not drop dead gorgeous, but he was cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 21, 2019 7:21 PM

He was funny I n Along Came Polly, he should’ve done more comedy.

by Anonymousreply 117October 21, 2019 9:01 PM

Heath Ledger has not been forgotten. But he was beautiful. He is our James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 118October 21, 2019 10:10 PM

r109 it's a benzo (benzodiazepine), not an opioid. Benzos depress the nervous system with a sedative effect; opioids reduce the perception of pain. Seems like you need something to take the edge off.

by Anonymousreply 119October 21, 2019 10:10 PM

Has no one mentioned Lester Bangs in Almost Famous, or The CIA guy in Charlie Wilson's War? He salvaged that movie. It was horribly miscast. I'm a fan of JuiaRoberts and Tom Hanks but neither of them should have been in that movie. Hoffman was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 120October 21, 2019 10:15 PM

Was tragically murdered after filming the brilliant, underrated "Master". That will be my last comment on the matter.

by Anonymousreply 121October 21, 2019 10:34 PM

When I saw him in Boogie Nights I thought someday this guy is going to win an Oscar. He didn't deserve it for Capote but then I've always had a problem with biopics. No matter how good the performance I can never get over the fact that it's just an impersonation.

He was a good villain in MI3 and he was great in Pirate Radio, which I don't think a lot of people have seen. Great cast, great music and lots of fun.

by Anonymousreply 122October 21, 2019 10:39 PM

He died in a rented apartment on Bethune, two blocks from Jane Street where his wife and kids lived, She kicked him out. His longtime drug and alcohol abuse became too much for her.

by Anonymousreply 123October 21, 2019 10:46 PM

What's all this about Philip Seymour Hoffman and Xanadu? He wasn't in Xanadu!

by Anonymousreply 124October 21, 2019 10:46 PM

There is actually no known lethal dose of benzodiazepines, alone. Mixed with alcohol or other respiratory depressants, yes.

by Anonymousreply 125October 21, 2019 11:04 PM

It is ironic that his wife's making him leave the home is what led to Hoffman increasing his drug usage and his accidental overdose. Bad move. because he needed that home life.

by Anonymousreply 126October 21, 2019 11:46 PM

Benzos are opioid derivatives fuckwads. My god the stupid. It burns.

by Anonymousreply 127October 22, 2019 1:36 AM

He was found with a needle still in his arm. Here's this famous, wealthy, talented, Oscar winning actor...and he dies like some common loser junkie. Unbelievable. But that is the reality of drugs and the hold they can have over even someone who has everything in life anyone could want.

by Anonymousreply 128October 22, 2019 2:02 AM

Benzos are NOT opioids.

by Anonymousreply 129October 22, 2019 2:58 AM

Nor are they derivative of opioids.

by Anonymousreply 130October 22, 2019 2:59 AM

Well WTF ever he did his heart stopped, he stopped breathing. He died.

by Anonymousreply 131October 22, 2019 3:32 AM

No R126, she told him to leave because his addiction was too much. It didn't lead to his addiction, his addiction got him kicked out by his wife.

by Anonymousreply 132October 22, 2019 3:58 AM

I still say she made the wrong call.

by Anonymousreply 133October 22, 2019 7:02 AM

If he was lolling around all fucked up around the kids and drunk and smoking crack, what choice did she have? Clean up his puke and tell the kids daddy's just screaming or in the bathroom for 6 hours burning plastic for a play?

by Anonymousreply 134October 22, 2019 7:08 AM

He made one masterpiece before he died, and I will always remember him from that movie eternally.

by Anonymousreply 135October 22, 2019 9:33 AM

I am surprised none of you brought up the portrayal of him on Very Mary Kate.

by Anonymousreply 136October 22, 2019 10:51 AM

Didn't he make some movie about Pirate Radio?

by Anonymousreply 137October 22, 2019 10:58 AM

I would never miss a film if he was in it. Before the Devil knows you're Dead, Owning Mahoney, Doubt, Hard Eight. I was disappointed when he took the Game of Thrones job. That might have killed him. He was also in an early Law and Order. I couldn't believe my eyes. He didn't look like himself and played a young addict or drug dealer or something. Not memorable except that it was him.

by Anonymousreply 138October 22, 2019 11:27 AM

R138, then I take it you've watched "A Late Quartet", with PSH Christopher Walken?

I haven't, but it's one of those "I'll get around to it" films for me that I haven't gotten to yet. If so, how was it?

by Anonymousreply 139October 22, 2019 12:00 PM

oops, PSH and Christopher Walken.

by Anonymousreply 140October 22, 2019 12:01 PM

Hoffman died of a heroin overdose but a massive amount of benzos (especially if you have a very low benzo tolerance) + alcohol + plastic bag + time = death.

by Anonymousreply 141October 22, 2019 2:14 PM

WTF are you talking about, R138? Philip Seymour Hoffman never worked on Game of Thrones....and he bears no resemblance to Peter Dinklage who did take the Game of Thrones job.

by Anonymousreply 142October 22, 2019 3:02 PM

Not R138, but I think he meant The Hunger Games.

by Anonymousreply 143October 22, 2019 3:28 PM

Yes R137. It was called... Pirate Radio.

by Anonymousreply 144October 22, 2019 11:10 PM

I thought he had such a great voice. It could lend itself well to practically any type of character. In "Mary and Max" his vocal characterization of Max is so special; he created this sympathetic, unique character just using his voice. And listening to it you would have no idea it was Philip Seymour Hoffman. It's quite a contrast to the vocal work of other actors; when voicing an animated character they simply use their own voice. Hoffman didn't so that in "Mary and Max"; what he did was true vocal acting.

by Anonymousreply 145October 24, 2019 2:51 AM

R142. Yes, I did mean The Hunger Games. Thank you. And I did see A late Quartet. I liked it mostly except for the underlying premise which is revealed in the end. Heart string melodrama which I don't do. Otherwise I think it's worth a watch.

by Anonymousreply 146October 24, 2019 1:22 PM

Mimi kicked him out because of his addiction and his girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 147October 25, 2019 12:19 AM

His Happyish TV pilot has surfaced.

by Anonymousreply 148February 16, 2020 9:52 AM

Todd Solondz said every young actor wanted to play PSH’s role in Happiness, the creepy obscene caller (and conversely no one wanted to play the paedophile dad). I always assumed this meant lots of actors auditioned for the part.

I saw the film at the cinema and a girl near me said ‘NO! Don’t do it!’ when Lara Flynn Boyle invited his character inside.

by Anonymousreply 149February 16, 2020 11:49 AM

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is a great, under-rated movie.

by Anonymousreply 150February 16, 2020 12:17 PM

R150, you beat me to it. So good. I just looked it up and it was directed by Sidney Lumet. Somehow that escaped me.

by Anonymousreply 151February 16, 2020 12:35 PM

HAPPYISH was a wretched show. Perhaps PSH could have made it work, but I doubt it.

It did have the benefit of making Steve Coogan (who replaced him) more or less disappear from American TV. I cannot stand Steve Coogan.

by Anonymousreply 152February 16, 2020 4:02 PM

Who wants to remember a fat ugly red haired junkie?

by Anonymousreply 153February 18, 2020 10:36 AM

I thought he was blonde.

by Anonymousreply 154February 18, 2020 12:43 PM

R14 how dare you compare hoffman to Liz Taylor on cultural relevance? She was beautiful, adored, married 8 times, won 2 Oscars, was a dame, one time highest paid actor, aids activist, husband stealer, stepmom to Princess leia, friend to MJ, legendary fag hag, lived to nearly 80, etc.,.how dare you!

by Anonymousreply 155February 18, 2020 1:06 PM

[quote] I just looked it up and it was directed by Sidney Lumet. Yep, and all the more remarkable is that he was 82/83 when he directed it. An amazing film.

by Anonymousreply 156February 18, 2020 1:30 PM

he dominated the screen in the naughts

by Anonymousreply 157February 18, 2020 1:33 PM

[quote] I just looked it up and it was directed by Sidney Lumet.

Yep, and all the more remarkable is that he was 82/83 when he directed it. An amazing film. (Ah, the wonderful DL quote system in action)

by Anonymousreply 158February 18, 2020 1:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!