Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barbra Streisand was seen as a great beauty in her day?

My have the standards changed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170October 23, 2019 6:42 PM

She was a great beauty. I was at a large event and saw her walking my way but I didn't recognize her. All I saw was a beautiful woman coming towards me, petite, with gorgeous skin and hair and arresting features. My friend whispered, "that's Barbra Streisand" and although I didn't try to react, my expression must have changed because she walked away.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2019 5:16 AM

Sixties eye makeup Barbra is the best looking Barbra. It's not just her youthful freshness, that winged eyeliner really suits her.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2019 4:39 PM

I'm one of the Olds here and I honestly can't remember. I thought she was beautiful for a woman. I loved her face in her technicolor movies. Once the drab 70's hit, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2019 4:43 PM

I was a child at her peak and I remember adults feeling sorry for her over her honker but admitting it probably helped her voice, so she was stuck.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2019 4:48 PM

Eyes, mouth, complexion...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2019 4:48 PM

She was pretty. I think there are different types of beauty. She maybe was not the conventional type but she was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2019 4:48 PM

One of her best looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2019 4:49 PM

Fingernails forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2019 4:50 PM

She was striking, defiantly unusual--I salute her for that. But beautiful? No. And, as time went on, her completely vulgar obsession with "perfection" made her ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2019 4:52 PM

well women want Kardashians fat arse...in 20 years time we will be appalled that we ever wanted an arse like that

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2019 4:54 PM

I hear she and Robert had a thing back then. Lucky bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2019 4:54 PM

She was "striking" but not beautiful. We look at OP's picture through a lens of nostalgia. Many women had that style back then so that picture is very average looking style-wise. Her style wasn't anything groundbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2019 4:58 PM

Didn't Babs fuck most of her leading men?

She had some first-class cock, back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2019 5:00 PM

No and neither was this ugly twat Cilla Black either (before someone starts a new thread).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2019 5:02 PM

I saw her on Broadway when I was in HS and have been a fan ever since.. she was never considered a beautiful woman but in person she was very striking and very petite

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2019 5:03 PM

R13 I'll say.

But Robert Redford is something else. Lordy, I'd have let him buy me for a million dollars too. lol

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2019 5:05 PM

OP , You must be the same poster who began the Goldie Hawn thread. It would probably prove more interesting for you to post a thread on the "Great Beauties" of today.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2019 5:08 PM

OP , You must be the same poster who began the Goldie Hawn thread. It would probably prove more interesting for you to post a thread on the "Great Beauties" of today.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2019 5:09 PM

[quote]But Robert Redford is something else. Lordy, I'd have let him buy me for a million dollars too. lol

Robert Redford in his youth and middle age. In his old age, he lost all his testosterone and now looks like an old lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2019 5:09 PM

[Quote]No and neither was this ugly twat Cilla Black either (before someone starts a new thread).

R14 Hi, Dionne Warwick!

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2019 5:17 PM

She's not a classic beauty - but she has some unique features and can be beautiful. My mother always commented on how beautiful her hands are - and they really are.

It's a strange thing to say - and pretty much the only celebrity I've heard get compliments on their hands.

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2019 5:21 PM

Barbra was not seen as a great beauty in her heyday, especially by WASP conventions that dominated American culture back then. Her features were seen as too "ethnic" and when she came out to Hollywood to do films, the PTB suggested that she get her nose pared down to WASP standards. She refused and still became a big star. And she did it with glamour and style (before the 70s natural look to over). That is why she is so revered in the Jewish community. She became a superstar despite thosed unconvential looks, and she forced society to look at beauty in different ways.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2019 5:29 PM

A great beauty of her day? No. Nor was Goldie Hawn. Next?

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2019 5:47 PM

Did she know Scotty Bowers?

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2019 5:51 PM

What r9 said. Striking, alluring, confidant, interesting. And sexual.

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2019 6:00 PM

R21 - so she did! I never noticed before. They're lovely and elegant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2019 6:05 PM

I proudly proclaim that I have never heard any of her songs ever, at least not consciously.

I also know nothing about this woman, other than that she had a studio painted all white, and only wanted to be filmed from one side.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2019 6:21 PM

Yes, she was never considered a great beauty, or a run of the mill beauty, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2019 6:25 PM

As Omar Sharif said: 'The problem with Barbra Streisand is that she wants to be a woman and wants to be beautiful, and she is neither."

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2019 7:27 PM

I was around then and the answer is a resounding NO, NEVER. It's only when Streisand got older that she was seen as attractive. I am answering the original question - no, she was never seen as a beauty in her day, certainly not a "great beauty."

As far as Streisand fucking co-stars and good looking guys, straight men will fuck a cantaloupe, it doesn't mean the woman is beautiful or even that pretty. And rest assured that Babs NEVER got with Redford, not that she didn't try.

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2019 7:39 PM

As far as her having "beautiful hands," she has nice nails, though I'm sick of seeing them. Her hands (and feet) are gargantuan, way out of proportion, definitely not beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2019 7:44 PM

She was a huge beauty in the early 1970's. Men yoused to lust after her. Prince Charles called her his favorite pin up. She was one of the hottest women in the industry. All the photographers wanted to work with her because of her beauty.

R30 You know that how? Unless you're Redford or Barbra you don't know. The sexual chemistry off the set was apparently very noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2019 7:45 PM

R31 she has two of the best legs in the industry. Her ass also got a lot of compliments for a white women.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2019 7:47 PM

R32/R33, you write that same shit in every Streisand thread. I know you're not charlie because he focuses on how supportive Babs is of LBGT issues, and how she's handed half of her fortune to charity. YOU are the delusional gay who fantasizes she was such a sexy babe to straight men.

No, dear, not ever. Gay men may have gotten crazy over Barbra Streisand. Not straight men, not ever - even when she was nice looking in What's Up Doc. Prince Charles? Next. Best legs in the business? Ass got a lot of compliments? Yes, from Jon Peters. You obviously have a heavy fantasy about her and Redford, but you know nothing about him or those who wrote about the making of the film. You obviously love Barbra, that's good. But going on like you do here is simply embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2019 8:39 PM

Three women emerged from the 1960s as music stars and conquered the 1970s as superstars: Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, and Cher. These women were everywhere--in movies, on television, on the radio, in movie magazines and tabloids. Neither women conformed to the beauty standards of the day, but they believed in themselves, glammed up, and redefined the meaning of beauty. However, I don't know of any straight man who considered these gals hot, pin-up queens. Their unique "beauty" resonated more with admiring women and gay men.

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2019 9:27 PM

Bravo R30!

by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2019 9:34 PM

Striesand was "different", she was "the exotic exception" but she was never considered beautiful. Never.

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2019 9:36 PM

Lots of men, straight men found Diana Ross beautiful. She was very feminine and exotically attractive. A knockout. Don't be absurd. Cher never had sex appeal and Barbra was sexy buttah face. Nobody wants to kiss that face. YUCK.

by Anonymousreply 38October 19, 2019 9:37 PM

No, not really a beauty, but a very striking woman with her own style, I found her beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 19, 2019 9:37 PM

I have no idea how anyone could look at her and think, "Beautiful!".

Different? Brave for showing that schozz in public? Yes. Beautiful? No.

by Anonymousreply 40October 19, 2019 9:38 PM

She's prettier than Jennifer Aniston, who's considered one of the most beautiful women in the world.

Barbra's features are more feminine and delicate and striking. Unusual features are more beautiful and special than someone with an ordinary face. Sophia Loren also falls into the unusual and striking category.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 19, 2019 9:39 PM

She has gorgeous eyes. That's one aspect of her looks I was always taken back by from her movies when she was younger.

by Anonymousreply 42October 19, 2019 9:50 PM

R41 shut up gay boy. Your view if female attractiveness is distorted.

by Anonymousreply 43October 19, 2019 9:58 PM

R39 is correct. Barbra Streisand was never considered a great beauty of her day. Her looks were striking. She was alluring. Her talent was phenomenal. The beauty standards when she was on Broadway in "Funny Girl" favored Jane Fonda, Ann Margret and later Twiggy.

by Anonymousreply 44October 19, 2019 10:12 PM

THIS is the striking beauty with unusual looks and great sex appeal, and I'm not talking about below the neck. Her face made her a Great Beauty. Men loved her, women and gay men too - even Streisand herself loved and envied her:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 19, 2019 10:55 PM

Dame Edna: "I went to a plastic surgeon who specializes in making people look like Hollywood stars. You can look like Barbra Streisand.....but there's not a big demand for that".

by Anonymousreply 46October 19, 2019 11:24 PM

Since when has Jennifer Aniston been considered one of the most beautiful women in the world??? At most she is nice looking, nothing more.

Streisand is like Frank Sinatra. Without the voice, there would be nothing. Both were ordinary looking ethics, and I'm being kind here. Their voices made them "attractive," it was not their looks. There'd be no Ava Gardner, there'd be no James Brolin if these two couldn't sing. Neither would have been movie stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 19, 2019 11:33 PM

Are you drinking, R43?

by Anonymousreply 48October 19, 2019 11:37 PM

“Jolie laide” is the term for Barbra Streisand. I do think she has interesting and attractive looks. Love her hands and nails.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 19, 2019 11:50 PM

^ this photo of Streisand is a complete fluke or Russian interference. She never for a moment in her life looked like that.

by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2019 12:02 AM

She was never considered a beauty, great or otherwise. At best she was called interesting looking by those trying to be kind.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2019 12:04 AM

R50, she doesn't look like more than a typical Brooklyn Jewish girl there.

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2019 12:09 AM

[quote] OP, You must be the same poster who began the Goldie Hawn thread.

No I'm not, R17. I meant this thread as a sarcastic parody of the Goldie one, but NOBODY seems to have gotten that.

by Anonymousreply 53October 20, 2019 12:15 AM

Babs' leopard print outfit (Chanel, believe it or not) seems to amuse Marlene here.

It certainly amused me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 20, 2019 12:17 AM

You are spot on R50. They either just happened to get Striesand at the most perfect angle imaginable or the photo has been retouched.

by Anonymousreply 55October 20, 2019 12:17 AM

OP /R53 YOU'LL NEVAH WORK IN HOLLYWOOD!!

by Anonymousreply 56October 20, 2019 12:19 AM

Wow. Babs got a lot of wear out of that schmatta...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 20, 2019 12:19 AM

Best DL thread ever!!!

by Anonymousreply 58October 20, 2019 12:19 AM

Babs is an attention whore. But, hey, it's in her job description. What can ya' do?

by Anonymousreply 59October 20, 2019 12:20 AM

Who wouldn't look prettier surrounded by my 2 Oscars, 10 Grammys, some Emmys, some Golden Globes, and my Cable Ace, National Endowment for the Arts, Peabody award, American Film Institute Lifetime Achievement award, and the Chaplin Award given by the Film Society of Lincoln Center?

Just saying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 20, 2019 12:27 AM

OY, R60.

by Anonymousreply 61October 20, 2019 12:33 AM

Barbra had what Dietrich had - excellent presentation skills and charisma in spades. Plus luminosity in reproduction. Of course the comparison ends there, as Barbra also was sublime singer. The point was - the two weren't all that gorgeous but when they put it all on - they were gorgeous. That's showbiz, folks!

by Anonymousreply 62October 20, 2019 12:34 AM

Barbra has nice claws. That's it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 20, 2019 12:39 AM

R1 again, I also should have mentioned I saw her circa 1979. She was still young, I was even younger. Old now (me, too) but she was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 64October 20, 2019 12:40 AM

She was exotic and striking. Loren as a poster noted was both these things and ravishing. Her early image which she concocted was as sort of a smart kook. She evolved into sort of a chic exotic then strong willed superstar. But more than anything- her drive, great talent and intelligence made her one of those stars that it’s hard not to look at- one of the reason some people love to hate her is because she sort of produces a reaction from everyone. She’s truly an original and definitely broke the mold and never compromised. She also demanded and successfully filled the shoes that men in entertainment occupied. That too led to her reputation as a ball buster etc., and made many dislike her. Think HRC- lies told over and over become truth. Her old friend Bob Schulemberg who I got to know pretty well in the 70s adored her- and used to say that no one works harder than Barbra. Think about it: she’s been a huge star since she was about 20- shot to the top due to her voice and drive- and stayed there, healthy, and quite sane. Stable life in full control of her career and as others have noted (I often say) a major philanthropist and activist. Streisand uses her fame and succe$$ to fight the good fights. My Mom was a trustee at Wellesley college for about 25 years. One day she told me, your girl has given us a gift, anonymously. Sure made Mom take notice from then on. I admire her enormously, warts and all. And in person she is very striking- petite, beautiful, skin, very feminine, with these piercing slightly crossed eyes. I can see why she landed lots of big fish.

by Anonymousreply 65October 20, 2019 12:42 AM

charlie speaks!

"Stable life in full control of her career and as others have noted (I often say) a major philanthropist and activist..."

Just love that inflated "activist" shit.

by Anonymousreply 66October 20, 2019 12:45 AM

Who activated the charlie? Plug that old windbag in and he's right back at grand central, selling hankies from his cart. He "met" everyone important.

by Anonymousreply 67October 20, 2019 12:49 AM

Great beauty? Maybe by equine standards, along with Aniston and SJP. Maybe Babs was hot for a Jewess but not by mainstream standards.

by Anonymousreply 68October 20, 2019 12:49 AM

[quote]She evolved into sort of a chic exotic then strong willed superstar.

Not without your delusion, she didn't. Babs is homely and tacky. Always.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 20, 2019 12:53 AM

She was never "striking" or "beautiful in an odd way". She made the most of her better assets, minimized her flaws and she was a media darling with a solid P.R. team behind her.

She sings. She is not a musician. She is not a musical pioneer. She is not a songwriter. She sings and has done a few good movies. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 70October 20, 2019 12:56 AM

Not beautiful.....quirky and exotic. (My father used to say, “Boy, that broad is ugly”). I saw her in the flesh in a flea market in Sun Valley, Idaho. She is very small. And that Oscar outfit is atrocious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 20, 2019 1:00 AM

R70 summed it up perfectly.

THIS WAS A PARODY THREAD, people. It was meant to set up the delusion queens. charlie R65, shut up, just shut up.

by Anonymousreply 72October 20, 2019 1:02 AM

Am I pretty now mama?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 20, 2019 1:06 AM

R65 Babs!!! I didn't know you hung out on DL!

by Anonymousreply 74October 20, 2019 1:12 AM

It's shame they don't have an award for narcissism. Ole Babs would weighed down with statues every single year.

Seriously. She's sad now. "Don't forget me!! Don't forget me!!"

She's very well-decorated for someone who has one talent.

by Anonymousreply 75October 20, 2019 1:14 AM

It's obvious most of you haven't met her in person. She is strikingly beautiful, almost magnetic in a showbiz way that only the big legends really have.

The hate that stems from her can be traced to the increase in Republicans who frequent this place. They hate her because she is an unabashed democrat and is a warrior for the people. She is also immensely talented not just in the area of singing, but also in producing, directing and even interior design and decorating. She is an advocate for the truth and for kindness. She has never apologized for being who is she is.

by Anonymousreply 76October 20, 2019 1:14 AM

No, Barbara. You never have been and you never will be.

by Anonymousreply 77October 20, 2019 1:15 AM

Strikingly beautiful. Chic, elegant, classy. Irresistible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 20, 2019 1:20 AM

"They hate her because she is an unabashed democrat and is a warrior for the people."

I guess I can understand why a Babs fan would want to chime in on a thread like this but when you see a thread that asks a question like this you better be prepared for some dissenting opinions.

Mmmmm, "hate" is strong word.

People find her irritating because this homely singer is treated like a multi-talented goddess whose voice cured cancer and ended world poverty, because she is well-known bitch of the highest order, a colossal control freak and an narcissistic egomaniac.

by Anonymousreply 79October 20, 2019 1:22 AM

R76, this thread is not about gay men who've seen her in person. Nice that you had that experience.

"The hate that stems from her can be traced to the increase in Republicans who frequent this place. "

What a convenient target. The answer is NO. Go back and read the responses in this PARODY thread. If you have an IQ over 70, you'll accept reality.

by Anonymousreply 80October 20, 2019 1:24 AM

Babs was chic in the 60s, you cannot deny. And she was so often fucking tacky in the 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 20, 2019 1:26 AM

I HAVE seen her in person. She is NOT beautiful. I saw Brooke Shields in person many years ago, she was beautiful. There’s a difference.

by Anonymousreply 82October 20, 2019 1:27 AM

Aren'y you joking, R81? It's hard to tell today.

by Anonymousreply 83October 20, 2019 1:29 AM

If Barbara's talent, rise to success or voice touched and inspired you, of course you think she is beautiful. And her fans should feel good about the fact that Barbara doesn't have to look like a young fashion model in order for them to appreciate her.

You think she is beautiful and others don't. Please don't get your feelings hurt, it's all subjective.

by Anonymousreply 84October 20, 2019 1:31 AM

After Barbra completes Gypsy, her next film role IS that of a fashion model R84. Did you know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 20, 2019 1:38 AM

[quote]this thread is not about gay men who've seen her in person

Who elected you hall monitor?

[quote]What a convenient target. The answer is NO. Go back and read the responses in this PARODY thread. If you have an IQ over 70, you'll accept reality.

Using all caps to emphasize a points, and wants to lecture others on intelligence.

How cutesy-wootsey! Yes you are! Now sit down for a baba and let the adults speak.

by Anonymousreply 86October 20, 2019 1:39 AM

She was, at no time in her life, EVERY considered to be a "great beauty." Why would the OP say that? Trying to be funny, maybe? Trolling?

by Anonymousreply 87October 20, 2019 1:41 AM

OP has EXPLAINED repeatedly that THIS IS A PARODY THREAD!

by Anonymousreply 88October 20, 2019 1:46 AM

R86: "How cutesy-wootsey! Yes you are! Now sit down for a baba and let the adults speak."

Anyone want to take this one? It's too easy for me.

by Anonymousreply 89October 20, 2019 1:50 AM

Barbra has clearly set her boundaries for trashy DL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 20, 2019 2:01 AM

[quote]My mother always commented on how beautiful her hands are - and they really are.

[quote]It's a strange thing to say - and pretty much the only celebrity I've heard get compliments on their hands.

I have always noticed and loved her hands.

R21 & R26, True story: When I was in sixth grade, on Honors Day (big audience of parents/family), I won the award for highest 6-year GPA (cumulative from Grades 1 through 6, IIRC). At the time I was OBSESSED with Barbra's hands, and especially preoccupied with mimicking her hand gestures and poses. I also loved the [italic]moues[/italic] she always made. So when Mr. Leggett called my name (which was a surprise to me), I was channeling Babs on her Funny Girl Oscar night--from the surprised expression thrown to her husband/my crush Elliott Gould, to the walk toward the stage, to accepting the trophy from Ingrid Bergma--er, Mr. Leggett. Oh, yes, honey.

Later, when posing for the local paper, I made sure to rest one hand flush (palm up) under the trophy base, the other wrapped 'round the trophy's neck, just like Barbra's picture in my World Book Year Book for 1969/70 (article: Entertainment--Motion Pictures--Academy Awards).

One of the best days of my life.

by Anonymousreply 91October 20, 2019 2:05 AM

R91 Was your trophy gorgeous?

by Anonymousreply 92October 20, 2019 2:07 AM

"Her early image which she concocted..."

charlie, you must know as a life long (lord knows how ancient you are) Streisand fan, that her look was not "concocted" by her. Her look her sound, nothing came from her alone - she had help every step along the way. Those who gave her their time and ideas will be conveniently left out of her 2023 autobiography - if it's out by then.

by Anonymousreply 93October 20, 2019 2:12 AM

My points (repeated lies) made in the posts following mine in this thread. Bullshit everywhere dressed in ageism and homophobia (I’m a deluded old queen- I’m 66 and homosexual and damn proud of both). What astounds me is that I can’t work up as much vitriol for anyone except perhaps Trump and his acolytes. Someone on this thread bragged about knowing who she was or what she sang without a hint of irony.

by Anonymousreply 94October 20, 2019 2:12 AM

I think what makes that picture striking in r49 is that it is one in the very few if only, picture of La Barbra nit in profile; just facing the camera straight on. I don’t think it’s shopped. We’re so used to looking at her profile (left?) that we don’t believe that this full frontal photo is her’s. I love it. By the way, I’ve always loved her hair, eyes,- even her nose, I thought it gave her face a ton of character. But I’ve never like her wide-bowed upper lip. Yuck

by Anonymousreply 95October 20, 2019 2:13 AM

Streisand is getting the same amount of hate on this thread as Trump? Save the drama for your mama R94!

by Anonymousreply 96October 20, 2019 2:14 AM

Girlfriend is cross-eyed!

by Anonymousreply 97October 20, 2019 2:19 AM

Barbra Streisand is one of the last great stars who emerged at the end of the old star system and embodied what many of the greatest talents in the history of film and music had, which was intense charisma and star voltage. Beauty was often secondary to genuine talent and hard work that would cripple today’s media parasites, like the Kardashians.

It is that star voltage that is lacking in pretty much every female “star” under 40 today. Don’t even place Jennifer Aniston anywhere near Barbra Streisand. There is no comparison whatsoever. Barbra had talent that few of the creatures in Hollywood today could even begin to possess along with a drive to persevere in a male-dominated, beauty obsessed world of 1960s Hollywood that would have destroyed most others. She not only survived but succeeded beyond measure. The gay male initially supported her because she, like he, was an aberration to convention, and her voice spoke and sang in kinship with his oppression. She was different and, for the first time, “different” was winning.

The fact that this thread is a “parody” of Streisand’s “beauty is even more curious. Conventionally attractive, no. Alluring and unique features, certainly. Then again film is not about truth. It’s about illusion, and Barbra epitomizes that creed. When illusion is manufactured to precision, it transcends truth. As of late, Barbra has evolved into the butt of tremendous hostility and derision among the gays. Maybe it’s the millennial gay who doesn’t “get” the “being different” aspect of Barbra. I’m certain they don’t get the torch singer aspect. Why would a young gayling want to hear about the man that got away? And how would they know about oppression, when they’re in a time when being gay is just so “in” and they’re the sought-after guests at every party, the child that every parent prays for, and the new breed of parents who are going to teach the straight world how it’s done.

I can always remember Barbra as a “do-no-wrong” amongst the gays and the performer for whom they anticipated and held their breath for every new project, album, and the impossible possibility that she would sing live again. Well, that happened in 1993-94, and if you could afford it, you had your opportunity to witness her beauty for yourself. But there would be a change. Perhaps, the change happened after “The Mirror Has Two Faces.” That seemed to be the turning point in her career, at least film wise. There was the constant back and forth about “The Normal Heart,” which as Larry Kramer pointed out, could have been financed by for as little as 15 million dollars as a high-end independent film. Instead, Barbra chose to recreate Nantucket on her 17 acres in Malibu complete with man-made ponds of color-coordinated fish, grandma’s ranch house, and a subterranean shopper’s world. Perhaps, this was when the gays began to see Barbra in a different light, and perhaps, not as beautiful as she had once seemed. Maybe it was narcissistic and self-serving agendas that became more transparent. Maybe it was resentment because she didn’t descend into a train wreck like Garland, but remained standing with tremendous wealth, decoration, and an intact musical legacy.

Maybe it's like the old adage: When you're young, you get the face that God gave you. When you’re old, you get the face that you deserve.”

by Anonymousreply 98October 20, 2019 2:23 AM

In OP's pic they have airbrushed her nose bump a bit, and rocky skin. She was wise to do the Egyptian eyes to make them seem wider. Her forehead slopes back severely, so the bangs were also a good thing.

She has great lips, pretty blue eyes and good hair.

by Anonymousreply 99October 20, 2019 2:24 AM

R93, I know exactly what was concocted by her and her friends back in the early 60s. Google Robert Schulenberg the illustrator who helped her create her Nefertiti look. I’ve spent hours talking to him about her. The thrift shop and antique clothes were all her as was the irreverent kook on NYC talk shows. In reality she was not at all kooky- that was a deliberate contrast to much of what she sang aside from the novelties. She was Bette Midler and Gaga before either. By the way, I also have every recording of Price, Aretha, most of Garland, tons of Nat King Cole, and everything written about (and by) Winston Churchill, and Lincoln too. Also lots of Ray Charles. Barbra’s not the only one.

by Anonymousreply 100October 20, 2019 2:26 AM

"She was wise to do the Egyptian eyes"

I thought they were raccoon eyes - they certainly look like that

charlie, if you know some of it, why do you pretend otherwise to make your idol look better?

by Anonymousreply 101October 20, 2019 2:43 AM

Get back on your ventilator charlie. We need the air.

by Anonymousreply 102October 20, 2019 2:44 AM

Good hair??? R99, her real hair is straight, thin and flat.

by Anonymousreply 103October 20, 2019 2:45 AM

Charlie, why do you think the gays seemed to have turned on Barbra? Might it be the sound of her voice vs. the prices charged for her last concert at MSG? Because that ain't a beautiful thing. Honestly questioning...

by Anonymousreply 104October 20, 2019 2:47 AM

[quote]She is an advocate for the truth and for kindness. She has never apologized for being who is she is.

Not when the truth hits home. She did apologize to the boys she said "enjoyed it" at Neverland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 20, 2019 2:51 AM

She was New York beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 106October 20, 2019 3:15 AM

Brooklyn bae.

by Anonymousreply 107October 20, 2019 3:17 AM

I am as big a Streisand fan as Charlie, but Streisand did (and still does) one thing that angers me. She goes on and on about "I didn't make THE NORMAL heart because I couldn't get funding" which is a lie. A lie from "I am always looking for the truth" Barbra:

From Barbra's official website, from her official statement:

"I tried very hard to get it made, but when it became clear that we couldn’t raise the money to do it as a film due to the controversial nature of the material, I thought, all right, we’ll do it on TV. At least it would reach a wide audience. But even HBO would only pay Larry $250,000 for the rights, and he would not let it go forward for anything less than $1,000,000 and no company was willing to move on it."

From the Barbra Archives site:

"In 1996, Columbia/Tri-Star Pictures had budgeted The Normal Heart at $32 million and Streisand wanted Kenneth Branagh to star as Ned Weeks. “I had wanted certain actors to be in it,” Streisand said, “one said he would do it, but the schedule was off. It was at a time when I had just bought my new house and was trying to design it. I didn't want to be here for construction, so I thought, I'm going to do The Mirror Has Two Faces!"

In reality, she and Kramer battled over her interpretation of the story and she dithered back and forth. She HAD the funding, but never committed to it to the degree she now says she did. And she STILL says "I wanted to do it but I couldn't get funding." I'd have much more respect for her if she had admitted screwing up by hemming and hawing and fighting with Kramer.

by Anonymousreply 108October 20, 2019 3:22 AM

Is she slightly cross-eyed?

by Anonymousreply 109October 20, 2019 3:24 AM

Barbra has a lot to apologize for. Plenty of gay men in the older generation of gay men could never stand her either. She's a terrible egoist and her recordings are 95% dreck. The film roles were all marred by her extreme narcissism. She isn't even thought of as one of the great singers, and that WAS her only talent. A great voice yes, a good singer, no. She refused to sing when she was able and then insisted on singing when her voice was gone. Because she wanted a painting, the cash and the applause. She's a horror of a human being from the get go. Bad taste in everything AND very forceful about it. She's famously ungracious, thoughtless and cheap. As most all of her collaborators will tell you, off the record. There's a great book coming - when she's dead.

Even Streisand's mother, sister and son find it hard to love her. She's not so much ugly. She has a grotesque personality that all who know her are in service to. No one under 60 knows who she is and those who do remember her are pretty cold on her legacy. She is not a generous talent and her tackiness can not be overstated. She is always the victim of course. She arrived old fashioned, anachronistic and without manners. She leaves one good movie and a (very) few nice recordings. Not so gorgeous a woman.

by Anonymousreply 110October 20, 2019 3:26 AM

Not being a native speaker, I have googled "delusions of grandeur" and that's how I have found this thread.

by Anonymousreply 111October 20, 2019 3:50 AM

R110, you must be a sexist antisemite!

by Anonymousreply 112October 20, 2019 3:54 AM

[quote]Is she slightly cross-eyed?

No, her eyes look fine to me.

by Anonymousreply 113October 20, 2019 3:59 AM

Who authors these satires? I wasn't there, but know as their contemporaries that Barbra Streisand and Goldie Hawn were never considered great beauties. I admire both of them; they have great sons.

by Anonymousreply 114October 20, 2019 4:05 AM

R113, LOL! Thanks, I laughed until I choked! Ms. Black's "big movie premiere" made her a bit too big for her britches (or skirt).

by Anonymousreply 115October 20, 2019 4:08 AM

Probably Babs at height of her beauty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 20, 2019 5:10 AM

You're joking right, R116?

by Anonymousreply 117October 20, 2019 5:13 AM

Gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 20, 2019 5:20 AM

lady baba

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 20, 2019 6:04 AM

r27, that's nothing to be proud of. It shows a startling lack of intellectual curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 120October 20, 2019 6:06 AM

R110 Thank you for not lying to Barbra. Or to us. Well said, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 121October 20, 2019 1:17 PM

OP, these Streisand fans devoted to supporting the myrh notwithstanding, NO ONE except Barbra Streisand gerself EVER thought of her as a beauty. In fact quite the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 122October 20, 2019 1:24 PM

Her nose is very attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123October 20, 2019 1:44 PM

Bitch stole my nose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 20, 2019 1:45 PM

Gays have not turned against Streisand- silly. And any of them who’s heads are not up their asses knows she is and has been one of the most important gay rights activists in the entertainment industry of the last 50years- along with millions in directed philanthropy toward the same. DL is not particularly a site for well informed homos. There are lots of trolls in this thread and on the threads of concerned with all manner of exceptional people. Some people just have to look down the hole.

by Anonymousreply 125October 20, 2019 2:13 PM

"And any of them who’s heads are not up their asses"

That should be whose, not who's, charlie.

"she is and has been one of the most important gay rights activists in the entertainment industry of the last 50years"

Um, no. That's in your imagination.

by Anonymousreply 126October 20, 2019 3:09 PM

Looks like a typical fugly jewess.she reminds me of Mayim Bialik.

by Anonymousreply 127October 20, 2019 3:48 PM

This guy used to do public access shows as Barbra and they strangely encapsulate almost everything that's been said about her on this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 20, 2019 5:11 PM

[quote]She leaves one good movie and a (very) few nice recordings

Most of her output from the first ten years of her career is top notch. There are also high points from 80-94. ( No one has yet to do an album as adventurous daring as the Broadway Album). Her comeback concert tour was huge, an event that generated such buzz that very few performers are capable of.

I think her work will be reevaluated somewhere down the road. Particularly Yentl, which never got the acclaim it deserved.

At this point, she needs a good single disc retrospective to hit the market. Twenty high points of her career. Something to remind people as to why she's so great.

by Anonymousreply 129October 20, 2019 5:27 PM

For fans only - the ultimate suck up forum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 20, 2019 5:38 PM

[quote]At this point, she needs a good single disc retrospective to hit the market. Twenty high points of her career. Something to remind people as to why she's so great.

Even my mother doesn't buy cds anymore.

by Anonymousreply 131October 20, 2019 5:40 PM

Jim Brolin buys all of Barbra Desmond's CDs.

by Anonymousreply 132October 20, 2019 5:42 PM

She recorded a lot of schlock. A LOT of schlock.

by Anonymousreply 133October 20, 2019 5:47 PM

R132 Barbra Desmond lol

by Anonymousreply 134October 20, 2019 5:59 PM

She is so beautiful ... even if her pussy stinks....

by Anonymousreply 135October 21, 2019 12:17 AM

r130: Thats actually the only Barbra fan forum that is both supportive and intelligently critical.

by Anonymousreply 136October 21, 2019 1:21 AM

R136 must be the insufferable know it all asshole "Joshz"

by Anonymousreply 137October 21, 2019 4:19 PM

Definitelly!

by Anonymousreply 138October 22, 2019 1:30 AM

Compare Babs with a bevy of showgirls in "His Love Makes Me Beautiful" number from Funny Girl.

Ms. Streisand had a nice rack, and in interesting face, but a great beauty? Maybe in a shtetl back in the old country (or maybe even UWS back in the day), but going by standards of 1960's through 1980's beauty, answer to your query is, no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139October 22, 2019 4:12 AM

R128, that guy is hilarious! However, Barbra is a great singer, intelligent and a determined person. Obviously, antisemitism is rampant, which is disgusting.

Barbra a great beauty? Never. Some of the glamour photos and video clips of her reminded me that Diahann Carroll once said something like, "It takes a lot of power and paint to make you what you ain't."

by Anonymousreply 140October 22, 2019 4:33 AM

"It takes a lot of powder and paint to make you what you ain't." Sorry...

by Anonymousreply 141October 22, 2019 4:35 AM

"Ms. Streisand had a nice rack"

R139, that is the results of a push up bra making a B-cup look like C or D. Babs may have nice little boobs, but that video shows what undergarments can do to enhance, it's not her.

by Anonymousreply 142October 22, 2019 3:42 PM

Actually R126, she is- you don't know what you are talking about. Speeches, TV productions, testifying before Congress, and millions. You really ARE an idiot. Her first speech, the first from a big star in Hollywood in support of same sex marriage was in 1992. Lots of this is related to her being a woman, Jewish, and outspokenly anti-Trump and the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 143October 22, 2019 4:33 PM

She kept adding and adjusting her damn bust pads, r142!

by Anonymousreply 144October 22, 2019 4:42 PM

And in 1986 she publicly announced the donation of royalties of the single Somewhere (very much thematically directed to the gay community) to AmFar- My guess is that R126 was not born yet, perhaps not even by 1992. All of us who are older and survived the AIDS crisis has little meaning to him- perhaps because he doesn't know anything (history). Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 145October 22, 2019 4:54 PM

charlie, stay out of this once fun thread. You don't belong here with you endless boring bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 146October 22, 2019 5:08 PM

All those awards but no Tony!

by Anonymousreply 147October 22, 2019 5:19 PM

R146, I'll do exactly what I want. I don't give a flying f...k what you or any other idiot on this thread thinks. It's disgusting how people trash human beings who have done great things in their lives- really really disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 148October 22, 2019 7:47 PM

^ Anybody want to take this?

by Anonymousreply 149October 22, 2019 8:26 PM

My generation sees Barbra as mainly an old-fashioned schlock singer. And her persona is very off-putting. She's never meant shit to post-Boomer generations.

by Anonymousreply 150October 22, 2019 8:56 PM

In clip at R139 Babs reaction upon seeing the showgirl at 1:15 with a real set of big tatas is priceless.

Ahhhhhhh, oh wow.... *LOL*

by Anonymousreply 151October 22, 2019 11:09 PM

As Yentl, with minimal make-up, short hair and in boy's clothing you can see BS is average at best looking. Rest as others have pointed out is mostly artifice coupled with good lighting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152October 23, 2019 12:55 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 23, 2019 1:18 AM

She's lip synching R153. Nice song though. Not her usual dreck.

by Anonymousreply 154October 23, 2019 1:55 AM

She was "kooky" looking as the kids said in those days.

by Anonymousreply 155October 23, 2019 1:56 AM

If a goil isn't pretty...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 23, 2019 2:00 AM

Barbra had some nice tiddays.

by Anonymousreply 157October 23, 2019 2:08 AM

Boom mic, R154

by Anonymousreply 158October 23, 2019 2:23 AM

I know what a boom mic is moron. She was lip synching.

by Anonymousreply 159October 23, 2019 2:55 AM

To be fair many musical performances back then used lip synching, so Babs was hardly alone on that score.

by Anonymousreply 160October 23, 2019 6:52 AM

I think she's quite pretty.

by Anonymousreply 161October 23, 2019 2:03 PM

And so sexy too!

by Anonymousreply 162October 23, 2019 2:46 PM

One of the reasons Barbra became so famous so fast was because of the way she looked. Her face and her voice were both instantly recognizable. This is a great gift to a performer.

by Anonymousreply 163October 23, 2019 4:10 PM

I understand , R163. NO OTHER performer is recognizable because they don't have that face and voice!

by Anonymousreply 164October 23, 2019 4:51 PM

Still lip synching, R159, ya rancid, oozing, bleeding CUNT?!! That's what calling me a "moron" will get you - you wanna keep this going? Haha I think not, and on the previous clip from the same show no audience would give such a reaction for an inauthentic performance. She was live then as she is in this additional clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 23, 2019 5:28 PM

Not a classic beauty, but in some photos she can be striking. Her taste in clothing on the other hand? Doesn't she have any friends that will her no before she leaves the house?

by Anonymousreply 166October 23, 2019 5:33 PM

Do all ancient white fags love Barbra Streisand, or just R165 and/or charlie? You have some real mommy issues R165. How did she reject you? When did she die? Have you had some therapy or is it too late? Your language is very disrespectful to all women and reveal you to be quite a disturbed and angry old man.

Babra did lip synch the final number on that TV show. Did you people have tv's then?

by Anonymousreply 167October 23, 2019 5:41 PM

Put your tits away Buppie. You are an embarrassment in every way. Barbra lost her voice and her "stunning" looks a long time ago. She's always been a corny dreck old fashioned schlock singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168October 23, 2019 5:45 PM

Buppie at the Bar Mitzvah. She shows her saggy old tits and tuneless raspy voice for just $750 a ticket!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169October 23, 2019 5:47 PM

R166, I believe her old friend Robert Redford advises Babs on hair and wardrobe!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170October 23, 2019 6:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!