Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jamie Lee Curtis's early post-"Halloween" horror films

Which one was the best? She exclusively did horror movies for the first 5 years of her career. I am partial to "Prom Night" just because it has some great stalking scenes; plus there's the ridiculous disco dance number, the bitchy dialogue between Jamie Lee and Eddie Benton, and an ending that is truly tragic. It's one of the few slasher movies that I feel has a lot of heart. "Terror Train" is a close second just because I love the killer's reveal at the end. "Road Games" was a decent thriller; never been a huge fan of "The Fog."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2020 3:09 AM

Prom Night has heart and a nice look into the aftermath of a killing spree. There’s a melancholy running through the whole movie. Terror Train has great atmosphere and David Copperfield. Both movies have stuck with me over the years. Haven’t seen Road Games but I will check it out.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2019 3:43 AM

To be honest, they're all good. And they get better with age.

Personally I love The Fog. So atmospheric. Great cinematography, great score, great scares. Weirdly, though, Curtis has a very underwritten role in this. She doesn't have much to do. Adrienne Barbeau gets the meaty role.

Terror Train is also very strong. Also atmospheric.

Prom Night is good, too.

But I feel Jamie's role in Halloween was much more substantial than any of her follow-ups including Halloween II (where her character is asleep for half the movie!).

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2019 3:45 AM

My only beef with Prom Night is the lack of Leslie Nielsen's character at the end. The big reveal should have included his character. It was obvious they ran out of $$ to pay Nielsen or the screenwriter just forgot.

The ending though is good, though tragic as has been mentioned.

Interesting how Eddie Benton then became Anne Marie Martin and of course, Mrs. Michael Crichton. Wendy's chase scene is one of horror's best sequences, IMO. I Know What You Did Last Summer was obviously inspired by it.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2019 3:50 AM

Prom Night has some genuinely scary sequences, especially the opener with the children.

Terror Train has some awful pacing and gaps in logic and continuity, but it also boasts peak Hart Bochner and, as stated in the OP, a whopper of a reveal.

Both were quite frightening to me as an adolescent. Not sure how I’d experience them as an an Eldergay, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2019 3:51 AM

I love Terror Train. It has one of the best atmospheres of all the 80s slasher flicks. There's something about the sound of a train that I find especially comforting and relaxing, even with a killer onboard.

I like The Fog even better than Halloween. John Carpenter was a master at creating a warm atmosphere onscreen and The Fog represents that better than any of his other films. I can curl up on the sofa with this movie and feel like I'm back in high school again. My favorite scenes are of Adrienne Barbeau in the lighthouse looking out over the ocean with her dreamy voice on the radio. I've actually visualized that scene whenever I have to calm myself down, like during a medical procedure. It puts me in a dream state.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2019 4:12 AM

Loath all of them Terror Train, Prom Night & The Fog. For me her career picked up with the likes of Trading Places, Perfect (so shoot me I like the film), A Fish Called Wanda & True Lies.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2019 4:15 AM

The iconic Terror Train ending

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2019 4:31 AM

[Quote] Perfect (so shoot me I like the film)

I can understand why. I like it too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2019 9:06 AM

My ex-husband used to love watching The Fog, he said the only way the movie could be better is if the actors did all their scenes with their shirts off! LOL!!

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2019 10:08 AM

R9 That clip is hilarious! And that's the OLDEST group of high schoolers I've ever seen. Was this prom night for students who were held back for five years?

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2019 10:32 AM

Terror Train was one of my favorites. Plus, Vanity was in it before she was Vanity!

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2019 10:34 AM

Yeah, they do look old for teenagers in Prom Night.

Like Andrea Zuckerman-old.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2019 2:19 PM

She's not a very good actress, every performance is so similar that you can't even identify what film it's from.

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2019 2:25 PM

I think Jamie Lee is a great actress, and it was evident even back when she first started. There is a moment at the end of "Prom Night," after she's struck her the killer in the head with an axe, when she looks into his eyes and realizes it is actually her brother. The camera zooms in on her face, and she evokes this raw, realistic expression of disbelief and devastation. The nonverbal acting she did in that moment was exceptional.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2019 6:34 PM

I agree, Jamie is terrific. She's always great, even if the film is shit.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2019 6:46 PM

The dance off scene in Prom Night is truly terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2019 9:39 PM

Eddie Benton is also in Halloween II. She plays the friend of the nurse who's running late.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2019 10:56 PM

I haven't seen Road Games but I love all the others, particularly The Fog. The scenery is beautiful and I love movies where the town is a character too.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2019 10:57 PM

[quote]Personally I love The Fog. So atmospheric. Great cinematography, great score, great scares. Weirdly, though, Curtis has a very underwritten role in this. She doesn't have much to do. Adrienne Barbeau gets the meaty role.

You beat me to it - I also love The Fog but I always forget Jamie Lee Curtis is even in it. Adrienne Barbeau's sultry voice could turn me straight.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2019 11:58 PM

It seems like few people have seen Road Games. I'd recommend it if you like '70s-'80s thrillers. It's a fun movie, though rather ridiculous--Stacey Keach plays an American truck driver in Australia (for some reason?) who happens to pick up another American, a hitchhiker (Jamie Lee) in the outback. She ends up being kidnapped by a serial killer during the trip. I know Scream Factory is putting it out on Blu-ray next month. I may have to pick that up.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2019 12:07 AM

Road Games pops up frequently on the free Movies! channel (it's up near all the other mesothelioma channels on my cable system: Buzzr, Antenna TV, Cozi, etc.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2019 12:17 AM

Road Games is fantastic. It's got a slasher movie meets Mad Max kind of vibe to it. The direction and score is very similar to Mad Max.

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2019 12:19 AM

Terror train was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2019 12:20 AM

I tried to mold in her into a respectable actress but I really should've realized what I was getting when i hooked up with her.

Oh well, she does make an excellent beard. At least I have that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2019 12:24 AM

Jamie talks about them all here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2019 12:29 AM

She always comes across as standoffish in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2019 12:37 AM

R26 She seems like a nice person but in interviews she comes across has someone who has trouble regulating her emotions. One minute she's calm and intelligent and the next she is really hyper. I watched her on the Kevin Pollack Show and other interviews and she definitely has a mood swing thing going on.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2019 12:47 AM

She avoided talking about her early horror films for a long time IIRC, R26. I don't know why exactly—maybe she just didn't want to have that title pinned on her. I know she did a single horror convention appearance a few years ago, but she otherwise has distanced herself from that whole scene. She famously refused to do them (not that I really blame her; she doesn't need the money). Weirdly enough, she's come full circle and is back to starring in the new "Halloween" reboot series.

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2019 12:59 AM

[quote] She seems like a nice person but in interviews she comes across has someone who has trouble regulating her emotions.

Love Jamie, but she's always been a little weird, and she has an aggressive personality. Both of her parents were the same way. I saw her on an old rerun of Match Game around the time that Halloween came out, and she was a lot to take even back then.

I would describe her energy as "masculine."

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2019 2:06 AM

"I would describe her energy as 'masculine'. "

Definitely!

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2019 2:08 AM

In R25's interview, I'm surprised that she doesn't like The Fog, because it's one of my favorite films. She explains that there was a lot of emotional turmoil going on behind the scenes and maybe that's coloring her opinion of it.

I feel like it in that interview that she wants to get the point across that she and her mother weren't all that close.

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2019 3:40 AM

"The Fog" has some of the best scenery and photography of any horror film, a chilling, understated score, a truly horrific menace and an excellent cast overall. It's also somehow realistic in that the different characters remain isolated until the very end and even then Barbeau is still int he lighthouse. It's chilling to realize that when Barbeau's character utters her final warning she still doesn't know if her own child survived. The final jump scare is a disappointment, and was evidently something the studio insisted on in addition to some of the unnecessary gore shots (thankfully kept to a minimum). But I'd call it one of the best of its genre.

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2019 6:09 AM

Yeah, r 32, The Fog gets better with age. Good points - I didn't even realize that Barbeau's character doesn't know the fate of her son. (BTW, Barbeau is great in this and as stated above, her sultry voice is well used here).

The score is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2019 6:30 AM

Jamie Lee's part in The Fog was an afterthought shoehorned in and a gift from John and Debra because she wasn't getting any roles after Halloween (from US productions).

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2019 1:13 PM

[R34] it's also a directorial in-joke - Jamie's character says "bad luck seems to follow me around." There's a blink-and-you'l-miss-it gag in Halloween III where she plays the creepy recording of the town curfew. When Jamie Lee Curtis tells me to stay indoors on Halloween, I listen.

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2019 4:32 PM

Prom Night is my favorite non-Halloween JLC

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2019 4:35 PM

You have to take Jamie's opinion of The Fog with a grain of salt, as she states in the interview that the Carpenter/Hill/Barbeau drama going on behind the scenes was a big distraction for her. She also didn't seem to like her mother being in the movie.

The fact that she prefers Halloween 2 over The Fog is laughable. The Fog is a far better movie. There's no comparison.

This guy went to the locations used in The Fog. It's interesting to see how it all looks today. I've always wanted to visit the lighthouse where Adrienne Barbeau had her radio station. It seems like a magical place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2019 8:40 PM

I've always had a soft spot for the original "Prom Prom." I love the opening, the creepy phone calls, the disco, Wendy's chase and the ending (fight scene on the disco floor with disco music blaring. Then the killer reveal).

by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2020 9:54 AM

I'm partial to Prom Night. Lots of eye candy - the brother, Nick, Nick's dad, Leslie Nielsen.

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2020 1:27 AM

[Quote] She seems like a nice person but in interviews she comes across has someone who has trouble regulating her emotions. One minute she's calm and intelligent and the next she is really hyper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2020 1:46 AM

Why would she like "The Fog"? She's an actress and Adrienne Barbeau had the leading role.

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2020 1:46 AM

And the bigger tits.

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2020 3:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!