Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When, Why, And How Did Rock n Roll Die?

There are so many great songs from the 60s and 70s, the bands today can’t write songs that are anywhere near as good as that rock ‘n’ roll. Also the bands who wrote the classics are now incapable of writing new great songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2019 5:01 PM

Connie Francis.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2019 3:43 AM

Years ago I read an article somewhere that said it died with Pink Floyd's "The Wall." This might have been pre internet. I'll see if I can find a link. It was well written.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2019 4:55 AM

Rock N Roll didn't die. It never existed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2019 7:56 AM

Blame it on fucking rap.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2019 8:06 AM

Disco killed it.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2019 8:28 AM

Agreed OP ! Today, the music is truly and definitely dead. Whenever I come across the K-Pop bands (music 100% copied on the 90's RnB), I want to cry about this shit-loving youth. When it's not K-pop it's Trap, or female singers who are all imitating Rihanna. They have no personality, no identity. Looks like clones. It is as if we are witnessing the uberisation of mediocrity with what this generation dares to call "art", whose icon are Kim Kardashian and Trump. Both the symbol of America mediocrity, bad tastes, completely narcissistic and pathetic.

After the 90s Grunge / Garage style, there was not a new musical genre. There are no artists who have revolutionized music. In the 80s and 90s, there were some great and beautiful things. Like : David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Prince, Tom York, Kurt Cobain, Billie Idol, Let Zeppelin, ACDC, Guns and Roses, Aerosmith, Van Hallen, The Smith ?

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2019 8:33 AM

Internet, especially social medias killed Arts

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2019 8:36 AM

synthesisers and time.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2019 8:58 AM

It lost its subversive appeal and got commercial (Kiss was a commercial band with the make-up gimmick). Glam Rock and Punk Rock were ways to recapture that credible, subversive niche appeal.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2019 9:10 AM

The Black Keys still rock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2019 10:08 AM

More Keys

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2019 10:11 AM

Modest Mouse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2019 10:14 AM

Sharon Van Etten

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2019 10:34 AM

Rock n Roll didn’t die. It’s only resting.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2019 10:53 AM

I'm a OLD OLD prof at a STEM university filled with geeky young men who listen to Rock n Roll. Which isn't dead. The only thing this thread is about is some of youse is OLD OLD too.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2019 11:06 AM

Hip hop and rap shit.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2019 11:48 AM

When people of a certain age decided music should be free, versus album$, ca$$ette$, compact di$c$, record $tore$. If I were a genuinely talented, aspiring rock 'n' roller trying eke out a living, I'd say fuggit, too.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2019 12:10 PM

^^^ ". . . trying TO eke out a living," grrr . . .

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2019 12:14 PM

If people are creating music simply for the $$ then thank God they are giving up music.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2019 12:43 PM

When - 1980 Why - Meat Loaf stepped on it How - He never looked where he was going

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2019 1:12 PM

1991. Hiphop takes over popular music.

[quote] New analysis from researchers in the United Kingdom, who studied the chord structure and sounds of 17,000 songs in last half-century, determined that 1991 marked the most significant revolution in the history of modern pop music. The rise of rap and hip-hop, they authors wrote, marked “the single most important event that has shaped the musical structural of the American charts."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2019 1:21 PM

I think there was a big Jazz influence in pop and rock, which was the reason a lot of music was more harmonically complex than today’s music. A lot of arrangers, and some producers and studio musicians were classically trained and had the ability to turn a simple song into something more sophisticated.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2019 1:33 PM

It died thanks to the pop-rock of the 2000's, they tried to Disney-fy it and that killed it. It was already in big trouble but then Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, Jonas Bros, etc tried to claim it for themselves as "pop-rock" and Avril claimed to be a "punk rock girl".

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2019 1:43 PM

Record execs killed it in the early 90s. They knew that the market was really in pre-teens and those with arrested development who buy things like Beyonce barbie dolls and celebrity endorsed cosmetics.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2019 2:21 PM

All things shall pass

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2019 3:04 PM

There is still a lot of great rock out there it's just not the predominant form of commercial music.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2019 3:13 PM

[quote] I think there was a big Jazz influence in pop and rock,

There were a lot of jazz samples in hip-hop as well. Esp. pre-91 before music clearance court cases that cracked down on sampling.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2019 5:52 PM

Right here, in response to someone's jealousy and greed....FU Rock and Roll

The Cure was asked to cut their set short for the 'bigger' rock star, Robert Palmer. They didn't. They kept it going and then Robert Smith told both Palmer and Rock and Roll to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2019 5:58 PM

The festival, the moment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2019 5:58 PM

Check the psychedelic rock scene coming out of Australia:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

The Murlocs

Pond

Tame Impala

All fantastic stuff!

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2019 6:35 PM

Country music also had an effect. Alabama, George Strait and Jones, Kenny Rogers, Randy Travis, and Willie Nelson just to name a few. This is what was happening in the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2019 7:09 PM

The 3rd of July 1973.

David killed me in London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2019 10:32 AM

I recently saw The Regrettes live, and believe me, it was rock'n'roll. No, rock isn't the dominant genre these days, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Who cares?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2019 4:41 PM

What R26 said.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2019 5:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!