Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Harry Styles - New Single and Album

The other thread was paywalled, but we can continue here.

by Anonymousreply 57October 25, 2019 4:07 AM

Harry's new single debuted at number three in the UK, at one in New Zealand, and at five in Ireland! Other chart positions to follow, with US on Monday, but it was three on Rolling Stone's chart.

Well done! He still hasn't had any promo interviews or performances.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2019 12:20 AM

I predicted a top 10 position in the UK, but less than SOTT - top 3 is really good. That he could debut within the top 3 without promo interviews or anything like that looks like he has still a very good core fan base/popularity. Or that promo interviews are far overrated for chart positioning and mostly appeal only to the core fan base that would have bought the song anyway? However as they are still standard procedure for a single releases, probably not. I guess the labels/marketing people know what they're doing.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2019 12:53 AM

His promo team went hard and made sure he was on the cover of the Top Hits Today, the most played Spotify playlist so his streams for this single are huge. About 22m already. The video is also around 21m after a week.

Niall has done radio promo and live performances for the past two weeks but his chart position in the UK has only budged up by two places, from 51 to 49.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2019 2:52 AM

Liam has announced a track listing for his album, out Dec 6. The title is the dull but fan pleasing LP1. He has all his singles on there so that the streams count towards album sales.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2019 2:54 AM

This is interesting and gives some love to all the boys, although they don't really rate Liam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2019 3:14 AM

R4 I don't like the title, but good for him that he can finally release his album. I'm curious if there will be some self-written songs on it, since he has spoken about writing songs in his table manners podcast, but so far we don't have any such songs from him. Also really curious about the Christmas song lol. I think right at the beginning of 1D everyone thought he could grow into some kind of Michael Bublé swing/jazzy singer, which would fit a Christmas song well. But he has gone a very different route, so it could be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2019 4:00 AM

Niall hasn’t done any promo in the U.K. (just a couple of radio stations) it’s all been america, and there hasn’t been any tv performances yet. It’s good that he didn’t drop out of the top 100 charts like Liam did and he is very stable on iTunes and rising slowly on Spotify. Harry has today’s top hits payola which is more promo than any tv show Or radio appearance. Harry is free falling on iTunes us and is now below Nialls song, however he is doing much better on Spotify than Niall, partly because of being top 10 and now number one on today’s top hits. Harry’s song is the only one trending downwards out of the top 20 on Spotify but since he was added to number 1 on today’s top hits yesterday should rise big again in today’s update.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2019 5:31 AM

Isn't Niall doing Live Lounge soon? Do we have a date for that? I think it will be good for him and for UK promo, his little acoustic sets in the US were good. I feel both he and Liam always profit from such small, intimate, acoustic sets, because you can hear that they are competent singers (and Niall is a surefooted guitar player as well).

I really hoped Harry would do another Live Lounge when we got word of an impending single release, but now I'm not sure if LU would have been the ideal song for that. Maybe his next single will be better for playing live and that's why they didn't start with radio/TV promo yet? Hard to say. His roll-out so far is so different to what goes usually on, that I can't predict anything tbh. But I do think his next single will be firmly pop as well. Dave Meyers has done the music video and he's known for his big, splashy pop (sometimes also R&B or hip hop) music videos. So I doubt it will be a music video for a quiet folk number with dulcimer.

It's interesting because Stevie Nicks said in The Face that Harry's second album is "not like his last album" and "very different". At the time I thought she might exaggerate a bit (because the folky songs of HS1 wouldn't be a whole world away from Joni Mitchell and her dulcimer). I mean, she could hardly say that HS2 sounds exactly like HS1 lol, that would make it sound boring. But after LU came out I must mentally apologise to her, she was very right - the single doesn't sound like anything on HS1. And as she spoke of the whole album and not just compared lead singles (and I also think there's at least some kind of coherent musical concept for HS2) I think we can expect a full on pop album with some psychedelic undertones. Definitely not a psychedelic rock album.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2019 6:26 AM

R7 I think Niall will show some staying power on mid-to-lower iTunes chart positions, but I'm not sure he'll manage the whole Slow Hands thing and really slowly rise to a very good position again. Personally I like the sound of NTMY and I think it will be great for concerts, but I think Slow Hands is a bit catchier and more memorable if you hear it on the radio.

Harry's LU is below expectations on iTunes so far, but we'll see if this changes when it's played on US radio. Personally I don't think I'd notice the song on radio, but I'm clearly not the best indicator for chart tastes. I also think LU will continue to stream quite well - both on spotify and on youtube. As expected (I mean.. that's why they did it) people really like that music video. And there's also a director's cut waiting, so I guess releasing that might boost numbers too.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2019 6:35 AM

Azoff and his clients are boycotting radio payola so don't expect to hear his song all that much. His streams and sales have given him a coveted UK number three, making him the only 1d member to chart in the top three UK with two singles. Even Zayn only managed one.

He is predicted with what he's sold already to chart around 23 on the Billboard Hot 100. Again, the highest US position of any 1d song since Slow Hands.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2019 12:34 AM

'And as she spoke of the whole album and not just compared lead singles (and I also think there's at least some kind of coherent musical concept for HS2) I think we can expect a full on pop album with some psychedelic undertones. Definitely not a psychedelic rock album.'

What about the song with the dulcimer, or the song that sounds like T Rex's Cosmic Dancer? I really wouldn't rule out rock songs at all. Maybe a couple, like he had on HS1. I'm hoping for a longer album and I welcome variety. Critically very successful bands like the 1975 are all about switching it up, even on the same album. As long as the frontman is very strong, as Matty and Harry definitely are, it doesn't matter.

I think purists who want albums that are 'all of a piece' are going to be disappointed with HS2. He's only 25 and he loves dancing and having fun. So if he's gone for songs with some funk or jazz elements, that's fine.

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2019 12:39 AM

Niall will do just fine.

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2019 1:30 AM

Niall did well. He went up from 51 in the UK to 49 this week.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2019 2:49 AM

If Harry can be where he is or higher on 4 weeks then that’s the real indicator. In 2019 upfronted chart positions don’t mean much unless you’re Ed sheeran or someone of that status

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2019 4:27 AM

R10 Wow, if Azoff's legal battle is standing in the way of US radio playing LU, that's... not good. Radio might have lost some significance nowadays, but I've recently read an article, where it was said that nearly 50 % of Americans name radio the main channel for music discovery. On top of Harry not doing any TV shows, no Times Square billboards or other active promo, a lot of people might not even know about Lights Up. His iTunes sales seem to reflect that, he's #76 on the US iTunes charts (Niall's NTMY is #58).

It also impacts his Billboard Hot 100 position as they as radio play is a significant factor for them. Rolling Stone predicts a #3 in their charts, that don't include radio play - that's a big difference! But Rolling Stone charts were only launched in summer, most people only pay attention to Billboard, so whatever is happening with US radio doesn't make things easier for Harry.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2019 5:45 AM

R11 True, these things were said, but honestly, a dulcimer can probably be featured in any song (it might even be just an intro or a bridge, who knows) and Cosmic Dancer was an influence for the strings of a song - so we know that there's a song with string, but really not what it will sound it like. I agree, it will probably be a fairly diverse album with lots of different influences. But that was also true for the first album. But overall HS1 still had a rock/folk emphasis and I think for HS2 it will be a pop emphasis.

We'll see how it will turn out. I guess. It's not like we know when or how the album will be released. Niall released his single before Harry and said the album will come in February/March. For all we know Harry's album might come in March/April lol.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2019 6:01 AM

R14 You're right, staying in the charts (as opposed to just charting high) is often an underrated factor and it's been a problem for all 1D members. In that regard they are nowhere near the big guns that stay in the charts for weeks on end. I doubt it will be the case for any of them this time around. I think Niall will stay consistent in the charts for quite some time, but at a fairly low position and Harry's song might not plummet, but definitely descend over the next 2-3 weeks.

It's good that both of them (especially Harry) are more album than single artists. Their money lies definitely in their core fan base buying the album and tour tickets.

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2019 6:11 AM

Harry needs to get the album out and start doing promo on the big TV shows. Stevie Nicks said back in August that the whole thing was ready to go.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2019 11:26 AM

R18 The single is only a week old, he won't release the album that close to the single, there's usually at least a month in between. And I think he will release a second single before he gets the album out. At least there's a second music video by Dave Meyers, who's way more known than Vince Haycock, who made LU. Could be due to artistic choices, but could also be because the whole concept for the second single is bigger than LU - maybe they save promo for that one.

Or maybe Harry is just not doing any active promo this era, who knows. Maybe he has the crazy idea to let the music speak for itself or some bs like that and we'll just get the second single and the album and that's it. I wouldn't put it past him, ugh.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2019 11:58 AM

Harry debuted at 17 on the Billboard Hot 100 with no radio play! Really good.

Niall still way down in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2019 1:26 AM

I don't understand Harry's decision to hardly do any (active, personal) promo for Lights Up, but considering this and the weird lack of radio play, it did really well. Rolling Stone has charts that don't include radio play (which is kind of stupid anyway, since it's not the audience's choice, but the radio programmers') and Lights Up debuted at #4.

It's kind of shocking though, how much relies on streams these days and how little everyone in these charts actually sells. Digital single sales nowadays, even for a top 10 songs, seem to be about the same as there are seats in one arena show! And I'm pretty sure any of the artists that land as high in the charts can sell out an arena. So it's not like people don't want to see or hear them, it's just that hardly anyone buys singles these days. Not even if they like an artist and want to support them.

Why? Sure, you might have a streaming subscription, but a single is about $1.29 isn't it? That's nothing, but would contribute a lot to an artists charts success and royalties. An average fan would probably listen to a new song of their artist .. how often? Three times a day? Maybe 4-5 times, if they really like the song. This would mean 20-30 streams per week. But the equivalent of 1 single purchase is 150 streams with a paid subscription and 450 (!) streams for free accounts. You'd have to stream the song 4 times a day, every day, for over 5 weeks to be counted as one sold copy! And nearly 4 months with a free account.

Normal fans don't listen to a song that often for that long as it would require to count as a sold copy. But for the paltry price of $ 1.29 they could easily support their artist without any hassle.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2019 8:25 AM

Harry just liked a tweet about his album dropping soon and Twt is ablaze, because when he liked a tweet about him releasing a single, he dropped Lights Up 24 hours later.

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2019 12:17 PM

R22 I'm relaxed, it's Tuesday. I might be wrong, but I guess he'll release on a Friday. And I thought he'll release the second single with the Dave Meyers video before the album, but that's mere speculation of course. Who knows what will happen...

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2019 12:41 PM

This tweet from someone who works in TV production made me laugh....' sitting here wondering if the revelation that harry styles has a suit freezer is enough to push liam payne into finally putting pen to paper on the no holds barred 1d tell all we all know is in his future'.......because its going to be Liam isn't it. He just can't seem to stop ruining the 1d fantasy for the fans atm. Also am surprised its taken so long for the press to run with this bizarre story recounted by Harris Reed, that Harry keeps his tour outfits 'frozen in time' in a secret vault which is under 24 hour surveillance. Isn't that a little bit odd?? And who is even running this facility in London? Whoever it is the saying fools and their money are easily parted springs to mind. And yet again can you imagine any of the other 1d boys doing that ( if they had tour outfits of course, which 3 of them don't). Another example of how little he has in common with say Liam and Louis nowadays because they will both be laughing their heads off at that story.

by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2019 2:54 PM

Forgot to attach the actual quote which is: '"I can't say where it is located, but everything goes to an archive. It's basically like a giant refrigerator – a frozen vault – somewhere in London where I am not going to disclose. But the clothes all have 24 hours surveillance, which you can look at via an iPad, specifically done for his outfits, and they have all been cryogenically frozen in time to preserve them.'

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2019 3:03 PM

Harry is an English eccentric in a world of LA rappers and R&B singers. Not a bad thing.

New Billboard Hot 100 positions are out: Harry debuts at #17 and Niall falls out of the Hot 100 after just seven days.

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2019 3:37 PM

Another excessively edited photo of Liam has emerged from his Hugo edited shoot. They've given him a giraffe neck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2019 3:53 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2019 4:22 PM

Today, Harry was seen filming two songs for the iconic music show Later With Jools Holland, on BBC2. Big break through if he's considered serious enough to get on there. 1d never got within sniffing distance.

His new song is called Watermelon Sugar.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2019 1:22 AM

New song is going to be debuted on the Jools Holland show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2019 2:06 AM

R24 & R25 lol it's so extra. But who knows, I've never heard of frozen clothes before (just to get rid of a moth infestation), maybe Harris Reed got something wrong about that and it's just "temperature controlled" or something, which is done for storing clothes and fabrics, because of mold and such. And I mean he has to store his tour outfits somewhere I guess? Unless he just throws them away (and who would throw away hundreds of high quality designer clothes), he can hardly hang them all into his regular closet. I guess most stars with actual stage costumes have a storage unit for them somewhere (and a lot of storage units have some kind of surveillance). If Harry's is a fridge, so be it lol.

R29 Very excited for Watermelon Sugar! The Kiwi comparison! Do I get my rock number at last? I don't want to get my hopes and expectations up, but yes... nice. Also Jools Holland! Yes!

I've made peace with Lights Up btw. It took nearly two weeks, because it was so very unexpected and I can hold a grudge (and I'm also old, at least mentally, and set in my ways, I wanted HS1 Harry), but yeah.. since you can't escape the damn song anywhere if you want to keep up with Harry news, I guess I feel victim to some kind of musical Stockholm syndrome. I might have bopped to it. Maybe. And the music video reveals some more layers beyond drug orgy upon closer inspection, which is interesting. Too bad any talk of a director's cut simply vanished, I think we would have gotten more story with it.

I also decided life's just too short to not watch half naked Harry in whatever form.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2019 2:15 AM

Harris Reed is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2019 7:49 AM

R32 Harris Reed is a bit of a Liam Payne isn't he. He just talks too much and the trouble is most of his interviews are simply a way of gleaning a bit of gossip about Harry which Harris seems happy to supply. On the subject of Liam another 'nail in the coffin' quote from him yet again on the subject of how close he is to the others: ' I speak to Louis often and Niall every so often. I haven't spoken to Harry in about 3 years, maybe longer. We're all still good friends, it's just that we worked together for so long, I feel like we all needed a little bit of space - Harry more than most I guess.'

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2019 8:38 AM

Come on Liam,, write that book !!

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2019 10:01 AM

R31, LU sounds really good on headphones. You can hear that the traditional instruments like piano and bass are still all there.

The Billboard Symposium of five staff writers really showed that H is considered a player by the industry, unlike Liam and Louis, who one of the journos got mixed up (this happens a lot).

I hope Harry has an interview with Jools, whose humour would gel well with Harry's. The new song Watermelon Sugar takes its title from a book called In Watermelon Sugar, which H's ex Camille lists as one of her favourites.

Let's hope it's even rockier and wilder than Kiwi.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2019 11:52 AM

Hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2019 12:20 PM

I'd never heard of him but apparently Brautigan's books were beloved by hippies and the counter culture of the 60s and 70s. The most critical review on Amazon is funnily enough the same criticism I've seen of Harry's favourite Murakami (who cites Brautigan as an inspiration for his writing) namely...'People probably love this book because they feel like they are expected to love it, because it is part of the 60s/70s beat counter cultural movement. The book is garbage. Just tepid, pretentious trash endorsed by hipsters (just modern day hippies) everywhere'. I mention this because I go back to Harry's Another Man issue which for me was bordering on the pretentious. Does he really like these books or is he name checking them because they are the trendy ,the in thing to be reading/quoting from and part of his brand. I'm not sure. Of course the book might have nothing to do with this new song at all !!!!

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2019 1:10 PM

R37, I think being a bit pretentious goes hand in hand with Harry's whole bohemian artschool vibe. I don't mind it. He left formal education so early, and was in a band with three chavvy lads who proudly admitted to never reading books, so thank God he escaped that and eventually started reading more, and getting into art and history. Camille seems to have recommended some interesting novels.

It would have been easy for Harry to have an adoring home girl like Eleanor who never left his side, but instead he chose to date Camille Rowe, a bilingual French American actress and model with a college education, who'd already been Cameron Avery's muse (of Tame Impala). Like Taylor and Kendall, she was no pushover.

Heartbreak usually deepens and strengthens character, and makes a good artist even better, more empathetic and sensitive.

I love the eccentric, quirky Harry who names songs Kiwi and Watermelon Sugar. I hope there are more tunes like that on the album.

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2019 1:49 PM

R33 God, I love Liam's interviews, there's always a funny little bit in it where you go "oh Liam, did you really just say that?" lol. He has no filter, but it's charming in a way, because you know he really just says what he thinks. And we knew that he and Harry aren't particularly close. Although I think they saw each other last in a hotel lobby or something like that in NYC in 2017 (so that would be 2 years) and apparently it was a very friendly encounter. They just lead separate lives at this point. "Harry more than most I guess" has a bit of a passive-aggressive vibe though, that cracks me up.

R37 & R38 I agree, there's a bit of a clichéd hipster vibe to it, but I do think he really likes that stuff and doesn't just name check or anything. It all fits together, his love for 60s/70s music & culture, the films he likes to watch (I mean, he basically has the Steve McQueen Papillon tattoo on his stomach), the books, the art, his idiotic fascination with psychedelics etc. Personally I think there's some interesting stuff from that time, but I really don't share all his tastes in that regard - and I don't feel like I have to. I'm pretty sure he doesn't like all the books and things I'm fascinated with either (not everyone can be as tasteful and eclectic as I am lol).

Like R38 I prefer if someone has interests and tastes that are a bit pretentious or cliché or whatever you want to call it, instead of nothing. It's also great that he introduces things like books and art to his fans, it's more than most superficial pop stars do. And sometimes things with a "pretentious" reputation are actually very interesting (e.g. I'm fond of Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 and it's quite pretentious, but has many great elements - now that I think of it, I can imagine Harry would love it for its bizarre ideas and absurd writing). I might be desensitised though, I spent my years at university mostly with film and literature students and they are the most pretentious people imaginable. Especially the film people.

We'll see how much Watermelon Sugar is actually influenced by the book or if it's just the title, which I think is quite funny and stands out. I like it. Let's hope the song is good as well.

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2019 5:19 PM

Louis' album Walls will be out in January. Isn't Walls also a song on the album, the one where Noel Gallagher is listed as co-writer? And wasn't there a rumor Louis used a sample from Wonderwall hence the name?

I think the cover looks pretty good, very fitting. It's a bit of a statement and he's not wearing a track suit, yay. I like both the title and the cover art better than Liam's upcoming album. I don't know why, but LP1 looks a bit like one of these fan made photoshopped efforts to create album artwork. Just not... that good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2019 7:20 PM

R49 I don't think there is much label confidence behind Liam's album. They have put all his previous singles on there going back more than 2 years now,even though didn't he say something along the lines that the sound on those early songs didn't reflect who he was anymore which is why he was going to rewrite the album. He has also announced this evening that he will be leading the album release with a Christmas song called All I Want ( for Christmas) ...not the Mariah one....which is actually coming out this coming Friday 24th October. It all just smacks of desperation to me although I'm surprised he's getting an album out at all.

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2019 8:27 PM

I don't like the artwork for Louis' new album Walls at all. He looks as if he wants to attack somebody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2019 11:26 PM

Adam Lambert loves Harry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2019 12:06 AM

Liam talks, a lot.

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2019 12:19 AM

I don't think Louis believes Harry drug phase.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2019 3:39 AM

R45 For what it's worth I never believed the shrooms story either. Harry Styles is a mico managed brand and in my opinion everything he says and does publicly is for that purpose. Going back to his 1st RS interview launching his solo career he gave as a backstory to the album: ' He notes a more recent relationship, possibly over now, but significant for the past few years. (Styles has often been spotted with Kendall Jenner, but he won’t confirm that’s who he’s talking about.) “She’s a huge part of the album,” says Styles. “Sometimes you want to tip the hat, and sometimes you just want to give them the whole cap …  and hope they know it’s just for them.” So he basically allows press and fans to run with his debut album being about Kendall but even if I believed they'd had a relationship at all none of the songs on his album would make sense if they about her and if not her what other 'significant' relationship did he have for a 'few years'. And then of course he changed the story to say the album was more about him thn anyone else. Yes I've given too much thought to this but I just don't believe much of what he says in interviews I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2019 7:31 AM

R46 "For what it's worth I never believed the shrooms story either. Harry Styles is a mico managed brand and in my opinion everything he says and does publicly is for that purpose."

Well said.

There was still a bit of fluff in the 2nd RS interview, but the first one was all bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2019 7:37 AM

[QUOTE] I spent my years at university mostly with film and literature students and they are the most pretentious people imaginable.

Same here. Harry piqued my interest early on, with his kooky, random and often endearing tweets, always with accurate punctuation and grammar. I saw him carrying around a battered journal with quotes scrawled on the cover and was reminded of a similar one I had as a teenager.

As a 16/17 year old, he still had laddy elements and didn't mind the chav culture of beer, sports and computer games that Louis insisted upon, but by 18 he had already moved away from that.

His difference from the others was apparent in his choice of house. They all bought mansions in outer London, whereas H (for the same money) purchased a 4 bed house in fashionable Hampstead, mecca for artists and actors. Boy George has a house there and so did George Michael.

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2019 12:02 PM

Louis new single was released today.

by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2019 1:11 PM

Louis is writing about being high and smoking drugs again in this song. So tone deaf considering what happened to Fizzy. Who knew Eleanor was a druggy too? She is, according to these lyrics:

Oh my, I remember those nights

Met you at your uni

Cheap drinks, drink em all night

Oh my, I remember the first time

Standing on your doorstep

Baby you were so high.

I guess their favourite place is Amsterdam.

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2019 3:15 PM

Big news - Harry is hosting Saturday Night Live! He's also performing. Huge coup for such a young guy. He keeps on winning.

by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2019 5:19 PM

R41 The Christmas song is out now! (in October... lol) I actually think this might be a good choice for him. I always wondered why he didn't go the Michael Bublé route as his voice would be good for that. He is a solid singer with a great range, I think it would really work for him. Let's see how this Christmas song will be received, but I can imagine it will be more successful than his hip hop/RnB stuff - at least if the marketing is right and he also reaches an older audience than previously.

Liam's whole "my previous music doesn't reflect me anymore" thing was already dead when he released Stack It Up, because it really was Strip That Down 2.0. I don't know if he actually meant it or if it was just one of the things he says in interviews. Because R44 is correct. He's a bit random at times. It's part of his charm though.

R42 Yeah, he never smiles in photos, therefore I didn't expect it. But it's a well shot photo imho and I'm glad they took this one as cover, because in the one you posted the ugly tracksuit bottoms are there again.

by Anonymousreply 52October 25, 2019 2:50 AM

R46 Personally I'd actually prefer if the shrooms were more for show than something he's really into. I've always said that I find the whole shroom story and calling psychedelics a "key part of his creative process" pretty idiotic. However for that reason I don't really understand why he and his team would purposefully spread the word about it. Maybe I'm too old and boring to see the edginess or "bad boy" vibe in it, I don't know.

But I disagree a bit about the Kendall stuff. I'm not sure if he was truly that cut up about their relationship, they always seemed fairly "loosey goosey", but Only Angel is clearly about her and therefore (due to clear allusions in the lyrics) Meet Me in the Hallway as well. Woman could possibly be about her, although he definitely drew inspiration from Charles Bukowski on that one and From the Dining Table might fit as well, especially as it seems to be a song connected to Meet Me in the Hallway (the beginning and the end of a relationship and the album). So 2-4 songs out of 10, that's not bad. The rest of his songs seem to be about family (Sweet Creature, Ever Since New York) and other women (Carolina, Kiwi, Two Ghosts). And Sign of the Times of course, which is something else entirely.

In general I'm sure he's aware of his image and he was always careful in interviews and such. And yes, he puts certain things out there on purpose, even though I don't always understand why. But all those people implying he's "fabricated" or "controlled by management" or whatever they say, yeah, no, I don't think so. He's way too consistent for that, most of his behaviours, interests and likes could already be glimpsed in 1D, when they were much more managed and controlled.

by Anonymousreply 53October 25, 2019 3:24 AM

Just wanted to add, especially for R47: I don't know if you mean the Kendall part of RS1 or some other part or the rather wholesome "good boy" image (has a good head on his shoulders, doesn't do drugs, goes to bed early and all that) they promoted there. But I think the latter wasn't maybe that far from the truth if Louis makes fun of him now for not being very rock n' roll in 1D and telling him off for smoking joints. There were always rumours and reports about him being rather sensible and conscious about his career and not drawn to the vices or pop star fame. Maybe they were fabricated, but I think Louis has no reason to support these fabrications now.

Therefore I think the RS2 profile came as more of a surprise (now we have psychedelics, wild naked beach parties and nightly drives through LA), but we don't know if this was a conscious image adjustment (that I don't fully understand) or if he just grew older, experiments and changed some habits.

by Anonymousreply 54October 25, 2019 3:38 AM

Louis posted his tour dates. I was curious about the venues he will be performing at. The show closest to me is at a venue I'd never heard of. I googled it, it's new and has a capacity of 1850. Poor Louis.

by Anonymousreply 55October 25, 2019 3:58 AM

R48 Yes, I also always found him rather eloquent in interviews tbh. People like to make fun of him, because he speaks slowly and tends to ramble at times, especially when he wants to avoid answering. But when you take your time to actually listen to him, he usually knows what he's saying and makes good points. Also plenty of dry humour.

R49 I really like that he wrote a song about Eleanor, it's very cute and I'm happy that he wasn't afraid to make it clearly about El, despite his delusional and hateful fans. I don't mind the allusions to uni party life (drinks & pot), I think it's a far cry from the heavy and dangerous drugs Fizzy was struggling with.

But in general I like the sound of Kill My Mind better than We Made It, the latter is a bit monotonous to me, it seems to me like he always sings the same notes. But that was also sometimes my problem with Oasis tbh and WMI is very much influenced by Oasis. And is it just me or is there some kind of effect over his voice? I'm not wild about that. There is a small snippet of Louis singing WMI at a radio station and to me he actually sounded better live. Also not off key contrary to Madrid, so it seems he's improving in that regard, which is great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 25, 2019 4:00 AM

R55 At least he's realistic about it - much better than booking big venues that stay empty! I would feel so bad for him if that happened. I've looked up some other venues as well and they seemed to have about 2-5k seats, so I guess it's a nice theatre tour, not huge and quite good to get into solo touring and see how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 57October 25, 2019 4:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!