Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mayor Pete reject Beto's idea of taxing churches

Because he's a good little choir boy. Wouldn't want to upset all those raging rightwing Christianists, now would we?

Even though NONE of them have voted Dem., in decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 11:24 PM

Beto said tax certain churches because of their beliefs. This is a clear violation of the First Amendment and will also come back to bite progressive churches and nonprofits in the ass. Beto did not say tax all churches. (Cue those who will hijack the thread with that related but really not relevant here argument.) Corey Booker agrees with Pete. OP is just being a jackass and making a disingenuous anti-Pete screed.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 10:47 PM

Tax all religions. Just because they conduct worship services, doesn't mean they're special and above the law. Let their charity organizations stay tax free, but hit the actual corporate bodies with income tax.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 10:50 PM

That's fine, R2, but you can see why you can't just do what Beto is suggesting. Tax them all or tax none of them; you can't pick based on viewpoint. Beto is a panderer and an idiot. His ideas are all half-baked.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 10:52 PM

Cue the tax all churches argument at R2. Totally irrelevant to Beto or Pete's stance or OP's remark. But hey, if you've got one idea run with it!

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 10:53 PM

EVERY candidate apart from Beto rejects this plan. In fact, Beto himself walked it back on SOTU after that town hall.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 10:54 PM

R3: I don't care about Beto, I have made my position and stated my boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 10:55 PM

All Beto has going for him is his 10 inch cock .

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 10:56 PM

Also, churches (i.e. places of worship) are not the same as religious charities, adoption agencies etc. These are two different things.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 10:56 PM

" OP is just being a jackass and making a disingenuous anti-Pete screed. " R1

Expected, but mis-aimed.

My distaste is aimed at all religions, specifically those U.S. ones that dictate state policy. Pete thinks he can balance being openly gay with being "of faith." It's a nice gesture, like hanging a rainbow flag at a "tolerant" Presby etc. branch of what is and will always be a toxic, lying hateful overgrown cult of Jesus fetishist idiots.

The Constitution was created to get a new nation OUT from under the thumb of churches.

It's failing miserably now. No equivocating straight-acting gay candidate will change that.

TAX them ALL.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 11:07 PM

OP projects all sort of shit onto Pete.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 11:08 PM

OP, I hate religion as much as you do, but you'd need to change the constitution to enact Beto's (original) plan. And that's just not happening, so let's try and be pragmatic about it.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 11:12 PM

Do you think Pete will continue talking about his faith when he becomes president? I hope he keeps it to himself after he wins. I don't want to hear all that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 11:20 PM

The angry lunatics Dion't usually surface intensely until Saturday...

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 11:24 PM

r12 He hasn't mentioned religion once during the past two debates, so take from that what you will. I think he had to lean into that more at the beginning so straight people wouldn't reject a gay candidate outright.

But yeah, I cringed every time Obama started with church talk, but that goes with the territory, I guess. Pretty sure things will change in the coming decades as religiosity declines further and faith talk starts sunding quaint altogether.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 11:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!