Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mitch McConnell just threw Trump under the bus regarding Syria. Oped Opinion piece to Wash Post

Calls withdrawal a grave mistake. Does this give Republican Senators some courage to speak out. Maybe actually take a stand.? Why isn't the media talking about it? Friday nite cocktail hour?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2019 5:32 PM

Countdown to Trump referencing #MoscowMitch in a tweet in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ....

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 9:44 PM

As someone pointed out on twitter, in the Op-ed trump is mentioned zero times, Obama 3 times.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 9:51 PM

It is sleight of hand. But it still gives cover to Repubs.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 10:07 PM

2 p.m.: Republican lawmaker won’t rule out impeaching Trump, compares him to Nixon

GOP Rep. Francis Rooney (Fla.) offered a damning assessment of Mulvaney, defended career diplomats, and said he’s not afraid of the president’s wrath.

Rooney said Friday he’s had Watergate on his mind lately, specifically that critics called it a witch hunt before it was clear how bad it really was. He won’t rule out impeaching Trump, he said, before knowing all the facts.

Rooney said he “couldn’t believe” Mulvaney’s admission of a quid pro quo and his later reversal.

“I was shocked that he said that stuff. When the president has said many times there wasn’t a quid pro quo. . . . . and now Mick Mulvaney goes up and says, ‘Yeah, it was all part of the whole plan!’ ” Rooney said. As for Mulvaney walking back his comments, the congressman said, “You know, this is a funny business. How in life can you do those kinds of things when you’ve just said it right there on national TV.”

Rooney also said that the State Department officials testifying in the impeachment proceedings “are not partisan people” and that he’s eager to hear from former national security adviser John Bolton.

As for the political consequences of possibly voting for Trump’s impeachment, Rooney said, “I didn’t take this job to keep it. . . . I took this job to do the right thing at all times.”

And Trump’s wrath?

“What’s he going to do to me? I mean, he can say bad things, but it’s just what it is,” Rooney said. “There’s a lot of people around who are seriously concerned about being criticized by the president. Seriously. I just want to call them as I see it. I want to get the facts and do the right thing because I’ll be looking at my children a lot longer than I’m looking to anybody in this building.”

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 10:13 PM

They only call him out when he's right.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 10:25 PM

Somebody needs to call McConnell out on his shit. He states (correctly) that Obama pulling troops out of Iraq caused the rise of ISIS.

What the bitch McConnell fails to mention is if Republican George W. Bush, Republican Dick Cheney, Republican Donald Rumsfeld, Republican Paul Wolfowitz et al. hadn't lied about WMD and the Republican dominated Congress hadn't approved invading Iraq, Sadam Hussein would still be there and there would be no ISIS formed under Hussein's watch.

Why do Republicans always omit facts?

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 10:32 PM

Thanks, R4. I've never heard of GOP Rep. Francis Rooney (Fla.) but he sounds like an honest man -- despite being a politician and a Republican and in Florida! I hope he keeps his job and continues to think straight.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 10:52 PM

[quote]Why do Republicans always omit facts?

Because the facts don't support them. Also, #MoscowMitch is shameless. Truly shameless.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 10:56 PM

He's feeling the heat of the upcoming election and is trying to appeal to his pro military base. Probably also trying to put out a few examples of how he's not ALWAYS in Trump's corner so he doesn't look like the toadie he is. I wouldn't put much hope in this.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 10:56 PM

McConnell is playing politics as usual. It’s no cost to him to state the obvious. He deflects some criticism of Senate Republicans. In time, he’ll be back to his lickspittle ways.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 11:00 PM

Apparently, the polling in Kentucky is showing a lot of Democrat voters. Something has him scared.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 11:56 PM

Donate now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2019 1:23 AM

[quote]He states (correctly) that Obama pulling troops out of Iraq caused the rise of ISIS.

The troops came out because the Iraqis didn't want them there and it happened in the waning days of GWB's term.

If you're talking about omitting facts.

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2019 1:29 AM

Why is Obama getting the blame? Bush signed an agreement with Iraq to remove all troops by December 2011. This was back when our country honored agreements, so, Obama was acting in accordance with a Bush era doctrine. You want to blame anyone for the troop withdrawal and the vacuum it created then blame Bush.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2019 1:36 AM

I sense the one thing you can count on is an old politician moving to protect their ass. This bitch is a barometer for Trump's protection by the old GOP guard.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2019 2:07 AM

[QUOTE] He states (correctly) that Obama pulling troops out of Iraq caused the rise of ISIS.

How do you know ISIS wouldn’t have formed if we still had troops in Iraq?

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2019 2:15 AM

Not once did this rodent mention the word "trump" in his op ed.... Chicken shit.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2019 2:18 AM

I'm sure he thinks he is being clever. He's playing both sides - which keeps everybody off balance. Except for him.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2019 2:37 AM

He's certainly left me on shaky ground more than once.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2019 2:39 AM

OP he made sure his Op Ed got released on a friday evening for good reason - he wants it to make as little impact as possible, but enough so he can say to his voters at home "see, I tried!"

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2019 2:49 AM

[quote]. He states (correctly) that Obama pulling troops out of Iraq caused the rise of ISIS.

That's not only not correct, it's foolish on two counts:

1. Obama didn't "pull troops out of Iraq." George W. Bush negotiated the troop withdrawal, not Obama. When Obama tried to renegotiate, the Iraqi leadership insisted that the only way they would allow American troops to remain would be to place them under Iraqi legal jurisdiction, something that the U.S. would never allow.

2. ISIS predated that pull-out by quite a few years and it had its roots in Syria as well as Iraq.

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2019 3:12 AM

"Why is Obama getting the blame?"

McConnell is a towering hillbilly racist. He was devastated when Obama became POTUS, and spent O's entire presidency (and beyond) trying to destroy him.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2019 3:41 AM

I suspect that in the not-too-distant future Republicans will try to blame Obama for Trump as well.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2019 4:00 AM

Republicans are very good at messaging. MoscowMitch blaming Obama is one of those priceless attempts that everyone sees through... except the one person who matters, and we all know is such a petulant child he can't control himself. It's quite the slight of hand, to make Trump reverse course by thinking he's not going to do what Obama did. And Trump is too stupid to see through it.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2019 4:02 AM

Oh, all but perhaps Mittens will manage to crawl back up Trump's hole soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2019 5:32 AM

Mitch enables Trump; he’s responsible for everything Trump does.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2019 6:08 AM

I hate Mitch a thousand times more than I hate Trump. And that's saying a shit ton.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2019 6:37 AM

In a month, all of this Syria stuff will be forgotten, just as every other calamity has been. Normal people aren’t paying any attention to it at all.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2019 7:03 AM

Moscow Mitch is far more dangerous than our stupid idiot Trumpy Bear could ever wish to be. One is a snake that lives in the background - furiously wreaking havoc in the "dark" and has been doing so mostly unchecked by anyone. The other loud-mouth moron has to make a public fool of himself and then attempt to "normalize" it (of course he is up to no good behind the scenes as well....but the majority of his antics play out in plain sight). They are both terrible humans, but one has seemingly limitless abilit to stack the courts with conservative thugs, throw legislation in his trash can and for all intents and purposes - do whatever the Hell he wants whenever he wants. Dangerous, closeted Moscow Mitch is truly a malignant cancer destroying this country and for the most part...we all allow him to do exactly what he wants. Nasty closeted turtle..

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2019 7:19 AM

Mitch McConnell and Bill Barr are the two most dangerous men that are associated with Trump. They each have done - and will continue to do - incredible damage to this country.

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2019 4:55 PM

Yeah, Bill Barr was a dark horse, wasn't he? But yes, easily the most damaging AG in the history of the country.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2019 5:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!