Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do You Know Anyone Who Refuses to Turn on the Heat or the AC Until a Certain Date Regardless of the Current Conditions?

I live with one. LOL. It's going into the 30s tonight but my partner feels it is too soon and refuses to agree to put the heat on.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2019 11:21 PM

I live with one too. He doesn't want to turn on the heat before November (but I turn it on when it gets cold anyway). Lots of potential for conflict, and lots of clandestine turning at the thermostat.

We don't even have AC because we live in a place where you really didn't need it before the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 6:34 PM

You should divorce him, OP. Divorce divorce divorce!

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 6:48 PM

My mother never uses central air between September and May nor opens a window if the thermometer is over 63 degrees.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 6:53 PM

It doesn't make any sense. If it's cold in the house that's why you have a heater. There may be plenty of unseasonably warm days in February where it doesn't run that much so who cares if you have to run it sometimes in October?

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 6:58 PM

My super.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 7:00 PM

Not sure where you live R4 but there are never unseasonably warm February days in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 7:01 PM

That’s just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 7:03 PM

Me. I broke today. The house had maintained between 75-70 degrees for a week until it dropped to 40 the night before and I suffered all day yesterday. I turned it on this morning when I woke up to a 60 degree house.

I hate going from AC to heat. It seems unfair and my penny-pinching WASPy nature rears it’s ugly head.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 7:11 PM

Growing up in the seventies in Baltimore, my mother kept the thermostat set to 60 in the winter. We were not allowed to wear our winter coats in the house either. Being constantly cold in the winters of my youth must have conditioned me, now as an adult I am always the hottest one in the room and like the temperature colder than everyone else. ,

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 7:11 PM

Me. Never heat before Nov 1 and never AC before June 1.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 7:15 PM

What is the thought process? You have a climate control system which is designed to make you comfortable. Assuming you don’t have to go down to the basement to shovel coal into a furnace, why be uncomfortable?

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 7:20 PM

Me as well.

I always tough it out for a few extra weeks on either end. It helps "thicken/thin out my blood" for the rest of the season.

I never have the heat on overnight except in extreme cold.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 7:23 PM

[quote]What is the thought process?

Saving money makes me more happier than optimal temperature.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 7:30 PM

But it’s just pennies.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 7:31 PM

I live in Southern Ontario and have a friend who lives in a condo - they won't turn the heat on until October 28th. He had to buy heaters for his place. Rip off!!

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 7:32 PM

Yes - 10 years with a Trini landlord in her own brownstone in Brooklyn. The heat did not come on until Nov 1 at the earliest and never full blast. Previously I lived in a building with an absentee corporate slumlord type ownership and we enjoyed "ghetto heating". This is full blast heating, so strong the windows could and needed to be opened on the bitterest winter days. I was told this was a traditional method of keeping things "tamped down" amongst us poors. Energy was cheaper, obviously, in those days.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2019 7:58 PM

[quote] Growing up in the seventies in Baltimore, my mother kept the thermostat set to 60 in the winter. We were not allowed to wear our winter coats in the house either.

What in the hell was wrong with her, R9?

That sounds like child abuse.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2019 8:33 PM

The updated NEST app sends you a notification if someone adjusts the thermostat physically and not through the app.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2019 8:42 PM

R17 She grew up poor and was and still is extremely frugal (although is now very well off due to her frugality.)

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2019 8:50 PM

Send that fucker packing!

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2019 8:54 PM

We will most likely be air-conditioning on Thanksgiving and Christmas again this year in SoCal, & especially next week with the return of the Santa Anas--90s + . . . I remember as a kid that baking all day for the holidays didn't heat up the house like it does now . . .

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2019 9:29 PM

So true, R21!

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2019 10:44 PM

I've been known to sneak changes to the thermostat when visiting friends. 79 degrees is just too hot indoors in the Texas heat.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2019 10:51 PM

What is the context, OP? Is your house insulated? What is the temperature inside going to fall down to? Do you have a fireplace? Do you have a lovely bed to cocoon in? Are you going to have hot sex tonight? Will you sleep in each other's arms?

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2019 11:08 PM

Go away, frau.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2019 11:20 PM

I don't turn on the heat until it's fairly chilly . There is no reason why you can't pile on the blankets and wear an extra sweater. What I hate are the "I'm always cold " Nazis. These people are usually women and will throw princess fits if the office isn't turned into some sort of disgusting greenhouse. What these narcissistic pro heat types miss is that you can always put on a sweater if you feel cold. At a certain point you can't remove any more clothes.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2019 11:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!