Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The 1950s

I used to hate this decade with a passion (born in 1972). It seemed so stuffy, so sterile, so smug and snobbish, so fundamentally uninteresting. being a teen in the 80s, and living through the 50s nostalgia rush just intensified my loathing.

Obviously it was more complex than that - and now I sort of regard it with an amount of envy.

I don't think I'd want to live back then for obvious reasons, but does anyone feel as if it was also in some ways a missed opportunity? There was a genuine Utopian undercurrent to that decade that seems to have been forgotten. There was also a higher level of print and civil discourse, at least in comparison with the schlock of today. Did the 60s throw out the baby with the bathwater?

Also, that was probably one of the best periods for design and fashion ever. Sensible, but elegant, practical, light. Except for cars. Which were kind of awesome anyway.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 6:21 PM

My favorite time.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 4:27 PM

[R1] Yeah, that's the ugly undercurrent to it all. But it seems that McCarthy was shamed out of existence by decent people. Where are those people now?

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 4:30 PM

Watch "Far From Heaven," OP. You'll get over it.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 4:37 PM

[R3] True.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 4:40 PM

The Utopian undercurrent was due to the post war boom - America came out of the war with no damage on its own soil. It was able to take the technological advances, some of which was stolen from the Germans, and become a juggernaut economically.

It was a blip - an aberration based on the US advantage and so many other countries who went bankrupt and had to rebuild after the war. However, many Americans believe that time was when we were at our best - not necessarily. It was a fluke and not sustainable.

In the subsequent decades, many other nations have 'caught up' with us and surpassed us in living standards and technology. But many Americans can't accept that.

Oh - and this halcyon view of the 50's were byproducts of the first mass media - TV. It wasn't nearly like what we saw on TV, but everyone gets sucked into believing it.

There was prostitution, drugs, racial violence, rape, child molestation, legal racism and sexism. It was no utopia. Middle class white people like to refer back to it because they were young then and problems like I just mentioned weren't discussed - which makes it seem like it was better.

It wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 4:49 PM

I definitely seems like the most idealized decades.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 4:51 PM

But there was Perry Como...

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 5:08 PM

Or see the Julianne Moore part of "The Hours."

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 5:11 PM

I know an Eldergay who was a kid in the 50s. Years ago I asked him if it was like Leave It To Beaver, or Ozzie and Harriet and he said no. He said it was suffocating with everyone having to be perfect. It was all about rules and comportment and making your parents look good. He was once sent home from school because he wore a white dress shirt with blue dots. The teacher said the shirt was "garish" and inappropriate for a school environment. His mother got a lecture from his father for buying "such a shirt". He grew up in Indianapolis and moved to Canada when the war was coming to avoid the draft and has never been back.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 5:23 PM

[quote]The teacher said the shirt was "garish"

Hub-boy. Little did they know.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 5:51 PM

Doa--Daa--Day--Day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 5:54 PM

OP you would love the movie Carol.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 5:55 PM

R9, I was a small kid in the late 1950s, and it was great! My mother opened the door every day (eventually I had school) and let me and the dog out alone in Connecticut suburbs, and I did whatever I wanted. I was four-five. My parents were young and happy, we had a new house, and the neighbor kids were cool. It wasn't until the 1960s that my father couldn't hold a job because of alcoholism and he was always bent out of shape with hippies, Vietnam and everything else, all of us were unhappy.

I don't long for the 50s, and they will never come back...but it depends on your age and experiences. My older teenage brother also loved the 50s, he had a great time and liked many of the rules, formal manners and stuff, btw.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 6:06 PM

My parents grew up then. Mom was a child and Dad was a teen. They loved it and always say it was a magical time. I think everyone was just so grateful to be alive and have a roof over their heads and love after the intensity and pain of WWII that the simplest things created joy. Family was everything.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2019 6:19 PM

Typical school Public Service film.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2019 6:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!