Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I've started rewatching Seinfeld

One of the biggest things I've noticed is that even though they live in New York, they drive everywhere. Also, there are a lot of situations in that show that wouldn't get the green-light today.

by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2019 2:40 PM

They go to the outer boroughs so that's not to strange.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2019 2:50 PM

I never understood why this show didn't get shit for being "very white" like Friends did/does, because it's even whiter than friends.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2019 2:52 PM

What situations, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2019 2:56 PM

What, like nobody drives in New York City? There’s almost 2 million cars there for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2019 2:58 PM

It was the one in New York thing about the show.

Jerry you could argue had a reason for a car as a stand up who would have to drive to nearby states /cities for gigs

George when he moved in queens made sense too.

It was really Kramer’s car that made no sense.

In terms of it being “so white” that is such PC bullshit. If you actually watched the show there ole Rubin Black minor characters, sometimes for the plot and sometimes just characters who happened to be black and of varied socioeconomic status.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2019 3:01 PM

^^^ the one “Non New York thing”

And “there were many Black minor characters..”

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2019 3:03 PM

I noticed that a lot of the storylines involving communication fuck-ups wouldn't make sense today with cell phones.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2019 5:03 PM

I recently watched the Asian Girl episode. The girl changes her Ls to Rs. They made fun of Indians (both types). The episode where Elaine is proud of changing a gay man to straight. Susan’s lesbianism “didn’t take”. All of it’s pretty funny, but no way would it be signed off on today.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2019 5:10 PM

True R5. This show had more black characters and extras than most sitcoms at the time. Seinfeld and Larry David also brought on a lot of black comics that they worked with and knew.

R8, Elaine thought she turned him, but it didn't take. She doesn't know how to handle the equipment like men do because she doesn't have the equipment.

The one show that would not get made today and I'm surprised it still airs is when Jerry and George go to Dalrymple's house and peek at his 15 year old daughter's cleavage. No one is concerned about her being 15, just the fact that George was caught looking.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2019 5:32 PM

I just finished the episode where Seinfeld makes fun of Native Americans. Ah, the 90's.

by Anonymousreply 10December 17, 2019 3:03 AM

Well Seinfeld is still a walk in the park as compared to All in the Family.

by Anonymousreply 11December 17, 2019 3:08 AM

I just watched the episode where to have a cock fight. The animal rights groups would be all over that one. It's hard to believe how much has changed in a little over 20 years. Jerry and George will constantly dating women way out of their league.

by Anonymousreply 12December 17, 2019 3:09 AM

[quote] I never understood why this show didn't get shit for being "very white" like Friends did/does, because it's even whiter than friends.

Because this show had better writers and actors so nobody noticed.

by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2019 3:22 AM

There was one episode that had Kramer step on the Puerto Rican flag, or something like that. People got pissed and I think it isn't played anymore.

by Anonymousreply 14December 17, 2019 3:25 AM

In the late 90s I dated a guy who lived on the UWS and he drove everywhere including to and from work. He grew up in Manhattan and had been driving everywhere for decades. He was a wiz at finding street parking though I recall that he had a parking garage situation for work.

by Anonymousreply 15December 17, 2019 3:26 AM

[quote]I never understood why this show didn't get shit for being "very white" like Friends did/does, because it's even whiter than friends.

While there were no main characters of color. Kramer dated a black chick for a couple of episodes and Elaine dated a guy that everyone thought was black and he thought she was a Latina. There were also black characters who would pop up from time to time. They also addressed the fact that George really didn't have any black friends. The main characters were all right, but the world of NYC seemed more diverse, unlike Friends.

by Anonymousreply 16December 17, 2019 3:30 AM

Yeah - Upper West Side had a strangely disproportionate number of car owners. The only place in the city where Alternate Side street cleaning hours were sacred. Totally different than Upper East Side. Maybe because more available spots? Or the people?

by Anonymousreply 17December 17, 2019 3:53 AM

I already got the black population of NYC covered.

by Anonymousreply 18December 17, 2019 11:22 AM

WHO! WHO, ! Who won’t we’re the ribbon ?!?!?!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 19December 17, 2019 12:46 PM

"I never understood why this show didn't get shit for being "very white" like Friends did/does, because it's even whiter than friends."

Hey, bitches, I was so popular they brought me back for another episode.

by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2019 12:59 PM

[quote] They go to the outer boroughs so that's not to strange.

Granted, not as strange as not adding the extra O.

by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2019 1:05 PM

George’s boss, Mr. Morgan was black.

The car parker was black. The exterminator, the family George watches Breakfast at Tiffany’s with, Rebecca DeMornay, just off the top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 22December 17, 2019 1:06 PM

R14, Kramer accidentally set the flag on fire and was stomping on it to put the fire out when it was misinterpreted by people at the Puerto Rican Day Parade. At the time it caused controversy, but it now airs in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 23December 17, 2019 1:08 PM

My roommate used to drive every where. From Chelsea to work in midtown everyday and used street parking.

by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2019 2:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!